Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
1.31/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours a fizzy pissy yellow, with a one inch head, and no lacing.

Smells like nothing. Very watery.

It tastes quite watery. There's only 90 calories here, and it shows. Some skunky tastes, with more vegetal hop tastes. Just. not. good.

Watery mouthfeel, slightly crisp near the end. High carbonation. Kinda makes me want to vomit.

Pass.

GreesyFizeek, Jun 29, 2014
1.32/5  rDev -27.9%

Gra1164, Sep 08, 2014
1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

Presentation: 12 oz brown twist off bottle with a “Born On Date” on the neck. States “Calories – 95, Carbohydrates- 2.6” and “Low Carbohydrate Light Beer” on the label.

Appearance: Very pale yellow, perhaps the lightest colour brew I have ever seen. Skimpy white lace does not amount to much, pours out spritzy and almost soda like.

Smell: Odd adjunct aroma, smells of faint cooked corn and mild husk. Other than that it is very clean.

Taste: Watery and thin, very little flavour at all. The crispness is on the right track though with the beer being so light is gives a seltzer like quality. Trace malt is hard to find but it is there, clean husk and cooked adjunct are extremely light also. Vague hop twang with a laughable bitterness, so minute that it brings nothing to the palate. Finishes clean and bone dry without a trace.

Notes: Can beer get any lighter than this? Is this the base product for the production of malternative. This is light beer, so light there is nothing there. People who seek this beer out are people with boring beer palates. There are better light beers out there, even then what is the point? I compare this beer with baked fat free light nacho chips … its like eating air, what’s the point? Don’t even bother with this one as it is the most lackluster, boring, gimmicky brew of its time.

Jason, Oct 03, 2002
1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours a very pale straw color with better head than I expected. About 1cm of creamy head that stood up above the rim for a while, then faded to a thin layer that clings to the glass. Smells a lot like the inside of an empty soda water bottle, like plastic. Tastes... like nothing. I've had vodka/water with more flavor than this. Mouthfeel is mildy fizzy and very watery. I would say this is a boring beer, but I'm not sure it's even beer. As far as I can tell, they didn't use any malt or hops. If it was possible to brew beer without using yeast or water, I imagine they would have skipped those too.

Kulrak, Sep 03, 2007
1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours the palest of all possible yellows, it is almost water color.

Smell is almost nothing, faint sweetness and grain smell.

Taste is almost nothing at all. Non alcoholic O’Doul’s has more flavors than this. Take a regular Michelob and dilute it by a factor of 4, that is what is here. Almost seltzer water.

Mouthfeel is water.

It is drinkable as in like a glass of water.

Zorro, Feb 25, 2004

I was curious...

Albino pale straw color with a fizzy white head that quickly does a dissapearing act. Giant bubbles.

Smells of sugary macro eh and sparkly cider.

Tastes like watered down apple juice. Not just weird but creepy drying aftertaste. I cannot stress the creepyness enough. Kinda refreshing though...but still really creepy.

As a runner, weightlifter, and beer drinker I am the target market for this stuff and you couldn't pay me to drink it. So who's buying this crap?

donkeyrunner, Apr 01, 2009
1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

Pour- What in the hell is going on! NO HEAD at all! Little carbonation bubbles, like I poured yellow 7up.

Smell- Has a feint smell of Bud Light. Nothing to the nose really at all.

Taste- Rice,corn uh-nothing else

Mouthfeel- A joke, I think I just drank water.

Drinkability- Low carb? Come on! Is this what we've reduced ourselves to. Macro-Beer was already reduced down in flavor and calories a hundred times before this drink came around. America Macros supposedly made good beer before WW2 and then they marketed after the women, so what does that tell you?(No offense to any women on this site that like good beer)

metallistout, Oct 28, 2007
1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours a see through yellow white color. The smell is of nothing, there is a hint of some type of grain. The taste is of nothing, but a barely there grain. The taste is watery, but at least not offensive. The mouthfeel is overly carbonated. Overall there is not much to this beer, it is pretty simple and weak all over, yet there is nothing offensive about it. It is really nothing to speak of.

goblue3509, Jul 30, 2009
1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

It has a very pale yellow color with a small, fizzy head. The smell is hard to desrcibe because it doesn't really smell like anything. The taste slightly resembles a lager, but for the most part it tastes like water. Mouthfeel was also rather water-like. I gave it a 2 on drinkability because you could easily drink alot because it is so light.

zeff80, Jun 04, 2006
1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

I had this at a friend's house. The friend, one of my very best, is very concerned about calories, so this is all he had. This does not really look, taste, smell, or feel like a real beer. The color is exceptionally pale. A slight malt meets your nose, but dies after a sip or two. I honestly couldn't really taste this beverage, but I admit I've hardened my taste buds over the years of sucking down lots of strong Italian espresso and bitter pale ales. The texture is like carbonated water, and so it is a thirst quencher. Michelob is producing some nice beers these days, but this one is good only for being polite to a close friend with calorie sensitivity.

jushoppy2beer, Oct 30, 2008
1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours a pale gold color with a thin one-finger head and lots of carbonation.

Aroma is full of corn/rice, grain and not much else. Seems rather bland. A bit sweet as well.

Taste is watery, thin and full of corn/rice. Not much else there for flavor.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering corn/rice flavors. Tongue dries up afterwards and not much to actually savor.

Trash. Good if you want to count calories but why buy something as cheap as this when you can settle for a pint of Guinness every now and then? There are plenty of beers that are light in alcohol and full of flavor. Avoid this crap.

Brad007, Mar 13, 2009
1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

Pale yellow color, slightly golden, topped with a pure white, not-very-sticky foam. I've seen Sprite leave more lacing than this. Nose is ever-so-lightly beery, with notes of sour grain/DMS and a hint of fruit. Very weak.

Tastes of sour grain husk and light bubble-gum fruitiness. Very artificial. If there weren't the sour fermentation notes, this could be Pellegrino. Therefore, both the flavor and mouthfeel score stink. Finishes exactly like soda water: clean and dry.

This is a terrible beer.

BretSikkink, Sep 29, 2010
1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

This might be the worst beer I have ever had. There is no taste or mouthfeel. This is a beer that was created by a marketing company. I hate this mouthful of shait.

Here's the premise: If you are active --carbs are making you fat !!Beer has lots of carbs ! Drink this low carb beer and it fits in perfectly with your active lifestyle and you will stay thin and beautiful--like you think you are now.

Here are some characteristics -- carbonated, watery crap flavored like bad beer.

rousee, Aug 26, 2004
1.34/5  rDev -26.8%

A Low Carbohydrate beer regarded by Yuppies as a Reward. Has a very pale yellow appearance which culminates in a flavor profile of some light malt meets corn, and a slightly watery note of virtually no hops to balance out the water flavor. Tastes to me like seltzer water with a very slight hint of Michelob Light, itself no beer of character. With the slightest hint of a floral grain note. I'd much rather drink a sip of a real lager beer or ale which is decent than this horrid swill if I had to watch carbs and calories. To me, this is punishment, not a reward after a hard workout. I regard this as a beer insult even to low end BMC swill. So, you have a low rating. For many of us, this would take a dozen to not make you want more. So, horrid value for the money. So, please look elsewhere for a light lager and drink fewer and be happier. Ultra Swill I call this.

KentT, Jan 22, 2014
1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

If I really wanted bad beer, I'd go find some 3.2 Bud and call it a night. I, however, got a free sample after a triathlon. Talk about a disappointing way to end your race.

It poured a tall head, decent looking head but it was all downhill from there. It had a light adjunct odor that was none too inviting and as I put the beer to my lips it only got worse. It starts with little to no flavor and then there's a slight rush of below-average macro-lager flavor.

The first beer that comes to mind while drinking this is Colt 45 in that while it is somewhat smooth, the taste is rank.

If Mich wants to make a beer for active people they should try adding gatorade or at least something that would give a more pleasant flavor and aroma than the insoles of my running shoes.

tempest, Aug 16, 2005
1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

Michelob Ultra, "the ultra low carbohydrate” beer from A-B. It’s in a standard Michelob 12 ounce bottle, but with an over the top color scheme (that we’ll be seeing on a NASCAR any day now). Can’t figure out why A-B is using Michelob for this and not Bud, but the Michelob name has lost all credibility with me anyhow. The beer is about as you’d expect, pale looking macro-lager, adjuncty aroma with a more pronounced chemical smell. Aggressive carbonation, if it had any flavor it was wiped away by those scrubbing bubbles. Marketing came up with this one, and it tastes like it.

jackndan, May 19, 2002
1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a very watery looking clear sunshine yellow color. Very cabonated with bubbles coming up from everywhere. 1 finger crisp white head that dissolves into nothing in about 2 seconds flat. No lacing to be seen at all. Terrible looking beer. I think Select 55 had more than this beer does.

S- Sweet malts underlying this entire beer with some cereal style adjunct smells in this one. Just smells artifical to me.

T- Sweet upfront and cereal grains punch through almost right away. This is watery tasting the rest of the way. Not a good tasting beer at all. Actually I wouldn't even say this is a beer. Although, it does taste skunked and well....more skunked.

M- Light mouthfeel. Overly carbonated which is a good thing so it just fizzles over the palate in a huge rush to get to the throat. Sickly sweetness left on the tongue to remind you of what you are about to take another sip of. Crisp finish on this but terrible aftertaste.

D- This is crap to drink. I wouldn't even play a joke on someone with this stuff. I don't see how people like it but then again this is not for the "craft" beer person.

This was a 5 second drink then about a 2/3 glass drainpour. I normally no matter how much I dislike a beer will drink it. This one I just couldn't. Bleh....gross!

alleykatking, Oct 29, 2009
1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

Very, very pale yellow with way too many bubbles. White head initally but this is a memory after the pour. Slight musty nose. Watery slightly sour musty malt taste. Tastes like overcarbonated light beer that has been filtered through a dirty old sock!

frank4sail, May 22, 2003
1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

Pale, almost clear yellow with a slight skim of foam around the edges. Smells very faintly of creamed corn and nothing else. This beverage takes flavorless to new levels. Very similar to sparkling water. Watered down grain and faint artificial sweetness. Very light effervescent mouthfeel, finishes squeaky clean. My buddy left a few of these in the fridge and I just couldn't resist. I think this beer is for those that want a diet beer without all that "beer flavor" getting in the way.

biggred1, Apr 08, 2009
1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

Pours a white, five finger head that vanishes within a minute leaving no lace . Clear, very pale amber color. Very light carbonation and very light bodied. Nose is faintly hoppy and malty. Starts on the sweet side but tastes like flavored water. Finish is like drinking water - nothing there. $1.49 for a 12oz bottle from Concord Farm, Concord, NH.

jdhilt, Jul 20, 2005
1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

My Dad is a notorious cheap ass. He like to be referred to as a "Cheap Bastard". This was his offering for Easter.

12 oz bottle, poured intoa pint glass. No head, despite the fizzyness. Thin watery looking lace sits on the surface, nothing on the glass. Color looks like well hydrated urine. Pale, pale yellow. I can read what I just typed through this it's so clear.

Smell has a harsh husky grain aroma. Taste is boiled vegetables, dry corn and some hay characteristics.

Mouthfeel is lighter than water some how. The carbonation is super-charged and gritty.

bort11, Apr 12, 2009
1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

So, what is so "ultra" about this stuff... It seriously has no flavor and a lot of carbonation. I tried this beer after a long day of watching college football. I believe we all know how good that first beer after a long day in the sun watching football tastes...or at least how good it should have tasted. This one was a big dissappointment.

Not much flavor, almost as if someone had taken a bud light and poured club soda in it.

very high carbonation

not much smell or coloring...i was very dissappointed with this beer.

CCUBA, Nov 07, 2004
1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

Yellow with a tiny bit of head that receded so fast I wasn't sure it was ever there. This looks more like urine than beer.

Some sort of sweet smell. Reminds me of stomach acid.

Tastes like a sweet corn flavor. I'm aware it's probably not actually made with corn (rice maybe?). For a second I thought I could taste hop at the end. I think I was wrong and it was just wishful thinking.

Moutfeel reminds me of super carbonated tonic water.

Drinkablity would be much improved if you were drunk. It is light and doesn't taste like anything.

Not a good beer, but it was free so I shouldn't complain too much about it.

Hojaminbag, Mar 05, 2008
1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

While I love the story of the Bud family this beer is an "ultra" let down. For those who like a very light beer this would be ok. It practically has no flavor or appearance. I was given this while doing some work in the sun. Other than quenching my thirst I got little else from it. I am glad it was given to me, for I would not and will not buy it.

I dont recomend this one. There are plenty of good light beers to choose from that would go over much better.

Next time I will pass, even if it is free. I am not slamming it, it just is not my style. To each their own.

giblet, Jun 11, 2007
1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

Good grief, just drink water and save your money – NO calories or carbs that way. This carbonated seltzer water with a beer name has to be the weakest stuff I’ve ever had. Doesn’t have a *bad* taste, but should no taste, aroma, mouth feel actually count as a beer? Still, I finished it, so it’s not getting a bottom of the barrel score.

Vancer, Feb 07, 2005