Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
Reviews: 577 | Hads: 2,098
2.28/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Mich Ultra

A: Very very light pale straw yellow. Honestly probably the lightest beer I have ever seen in a glass. 2 plus fingers bright white head builds then dissipates quickly leaving essentially no lacing. 2.25

S: Subtle malt sweetness, adjuncty, not much else. 2.25

T: like the nose it's pretty much just adjunct flavors and subtle sweet malt. No hop characters to speak of 2.25

M/D: thin body, carbonation appropriate, drinks like water 2.5

O: well if you have to drink am AAL this one isn't a bad choice. Not particularly good but actually decent and no horrible off flavors like some of them. 2.25

3.8/5  rDev +106.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: crystal clear; pale straw in color; with an aggressive pour, less than a 1 finger white head that receded quickly to a thin collar; no lacing;

S: pilsner malt, a little lemon, grainy;

T: grainy up front; some corn sweetness at mid-palate; virtually no bitterness;

M: light to medium bodied; highly carbonated; crisp; lightly dry finish;

O:out of a can; much better than I expected; not a style I would choose for myself, but for what it it, it's well done;

1.99/5  rDev +8.2%

This is my first review. Iam pretty new to beer drinking. I have had alot of diff beer. Started with higher rated from this site and finally decided to try the cheap stuff.
This beer pours a very light gold color. White foam that goes away quickly. Has a fresh white bread taste and not much else.
I believe the whole point of this beer is to have a beer taste, but very light on calories and carbs. Great beer for a person that has a healthy lifestyle and watches their waistline. This beer accomplishes what it sets out to do.

2.24/5  rDev +21.7%

Had in a bottle for free...at a conference. Smelled decent enough but it's very very light and not very flavorful. Good choice for watching your waistline while still drinking...beer snobs avoid

2.26/5  rDev +22.8%

Wowee look at that rating,but in my quest to try the worlds different beers, this is inexpensive and was told it's "good". Though, it was non-beer drinkers who told me this. I mean, my mom hates beer and when she said it was pretty good for a beer, I knew it wouldn't be great. But hey, it's not THAT bad.
I poured mine into the glass that looks like a wine glass but deeper. The kind for beer. I did come in a set of beer drinking glasses. Anyway, it pours a clear-gold color and has a decent 2 finger thick foam head. (My fingers are skinny though, so it's probably not the best way to measure. The foam dissipated quickly enough, leaving the golden water beer.

My first smell of it, I thought "eh, cheap beer" but on following sniffs was noticing the grainy/malty smell to it, though faint, easily looked over, but there.

The taste? Well, for the price, I am a little disappointed, it's a couple dollars more than I think it should be for what it is. It's not bad, but it's a bit watered down. Not the most watered down of these low tier cheap lagers, but it's noticeable. I think if they didn't water it so, it could be a decently good beer.

It feels like a lightly carbonated water-beer. If it's cold on a hot summer day, this will probably do it.

That said, overall, I think this is my first "light" beer, and I'm not entirely disappointed. I expected more than what I got from what i heard it was like, but I'm not let down or feel cheated. Now, would I buy this again? No, not unless it was all that was left. Would I drink it again? Yeah, it's not insulting, nor the worst of these cheap lager beers I've had.

1.75/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

This is basically just watered down beer. It drinks a lot like Bud Light but with a lot more water. I guess it's a good beer for someone on a diet, but I don't get the point. If you want something watered down, just drink water.

1.87/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a very clear straw hue with a thick head that dissipated quickly. Smells of corn syrup and grains. The taste is remarkably bad in that those flavor a never materialize but a more watery flavor comes out. Goes down smoothly but this is terrible.

3.4/5  rDev +84.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I was very drunk while drinking this and I have to say much better than budlight and any of it's light beer counterparts. I drank this out of a can at a cold temperature and It's pretty good if you wanna chug on something while dancing and partying. Vaping an ecig and drinking this beer is beautiful and an awesome feeling. Give this a beer a try and you may or may not hate it depending on how much of a beer snob you are.

3.8/5  rDev +106.5%

You know Meyers Briggs? That personality test. So it seems I'm basically an INTJ which means I have somewhat limited tact and I tell things like they are.

Drinking beer is like drinking bread. Face it. Once you realize after years of drinking that great Sierra Nevada Torpedo stuff that it contains, what, 235 calories and 21 carbs per bottle? And that now you are fat? Like I was? You will look for options.

Trust me, there will be a time when this fresh, clean deal or something similar will be your go-to. Until you convert I suggest you keep working out like a m#f&$$er. As good as as the Torpedo? No. For the trade-off -- definitely.

1.9/5  rDev +3.3%

Used to view this as the official beer for dads, never thought about why until i had it and realized its nothing more than the other cheap beers except slightly better tasting.

1.78/5  rDev -3.3%

Drank this at the golf course. Has a non existent smell and has very little taste. Frankly I have had non Alcoholic beers that were better than this. I should have gone for the Gatorade. Easily the worst beer I have had. I am probably being kind with my rating.

2.22/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

A - Extremely pale straw in color. Highly carbonated. Very fast rising bubbles. Carbonation results in a soft drinking appearance. Head dissipates completely within about 30 seconds of pouring. 2.25/5

S - Rice and extremely light base malt. More yeast aroma than malt. 2/5

T - Watered down cereal and yeast. Maybe just a hint of white bread. Slightly metallic aftertaste? 2.25/5

M - Very light and crisp with a drying astringency. Disappears almost as soon as it touches the tongue. Very carbonated, almost soft drinkish. 2.5/5

O - Ultra light beer that has almost no body. Nice for cooling down on a hot day or if you're wanting a little bit of beery flavor to go with a burger or brat. Other than that, not much appeal here. 2.25/5

2.84/5  rDev +54.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic pint glass.

Look: Vigorous pour into glass brought a big head that faded fast to a ring of foam where the beer meets the glass. Very little lacing. Extremely pale yellow in color. Quite transparent.
Smell: Faint smell of cooked grains and vegetables.
Taste: Hints of slight bitterness. Banana, rice, corn, malt. Nothing outstanding or dominant.
Feel: Thin, slighlty milky feel on tongue when beer gets swished in my mouth. Real easy on the carbonation.
Overall: A light beer for the days when I am at a gathering and will be drinking more than a couple. It gets a bad rap for not having any flavor. While not the most flavorful light beer on the market, it's far from being the worse.

2.04/5  rDev +10.9%

Taste reminiscent of a Coors Light but less syrupy and less dry. Nice smoky grainy feel in the aftertaste. Still highly corny and strong on the sugar. Faint flavors and thin body. Refreshing on a hot summer day, pointless in any other situations.

2.8/5  rDev +52.2%

Not good, but there are worse American adjunct lagers. Here goes:

A: Gold, well-carbonated. Actually leaves OK lacing.

S: Mostly corn, but not as bad as that of other AAL's. Can actually get some lightly-kilned barley and mild hops.

T: Follows the nose. Some hops and barley on a mostly corn background.

F: Smooth and crisp. OK.

O: OK for what it is. Comparable to Budweiser. Better than Miller and Heineken.

2.64/5  rDev +43.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This isn't a top notch beer, but it has a taste that I personally find to be quite decent. I'll take it over Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller Light any day of the week. It's also my father's go-to beer so it'll be in stock whenever I visit, but I've introduced him to some better stuff here and there to let him know that there is indeed more out there. I'll never diss anyone over this stuff though.

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Anyone so concerned about their weight that they might stoop to drinking this should just give up and drink a shot of vodka mixed in seltzer or diet tonic water.

3.04/5  rDev +65.2%

Actually thought it was pretty decent. bottle was God knows how old with a faded and crinkling label out of the bottom of my Grandmother's fridge, so maybe it gets better with age? But for a cheap easy to find light beer was easy to go down and had a decent taste. Far better than most cheap American piss water.

Piss water. Drank it out of a can after a 5k. No idea about look or lacing. Tastes like typical macro-brewed piss water. Got 2 cans free, only drank one. Don't ever wanna drink this garbage again. What little flavor it had tasted artificial. Reminds me of a watered-down Coors Light.

1.06/5  rDev -42.4%

Oh my. This is the drink that my friends have while golfing. I really don't see why you wouldn't drink water 1 : 1 with an actual beer instead of drinking this. If you need to count calories that bad, just skip about 250 calories worth of food in a day and enjoy a decent beer......

1.75/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Strictly old lady beer or beer you drink while fishing or mowing. But with only 10 less calories that other nane brand light beers I can't tell a difference. I mean when was beer marketed as a health drink. Good for getting a buzz and not feeling too bad the next day. The bottles are good for hitting road signs

2.57/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- you have got to be kidding, not much here
Appearance- It has an OK golden color but no head.
Taste- It has some beer flavor but not much.
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate carbonation.
Overall- This beer is for yardwork, fishing or heavy session drinking. with that said it ain't bad for those events.

2.61/5  rDev +41.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This is really not that bad. It tastes like water but I don't mind that, sometimes I just need a beer that doesn't have a strong flavor. I like the bottle design too. This is overall not a bad choice, definitely better than Bud Light.

Not as bad as some of these reviews would indicate. I'm not a ABI or MillerCoors fan at all but when I'm at someone's house for a barbecue and its hot and humid as hell this isn't a bad choice. Time and place I suppose.

3.53/5  rDev +91.8%

This is the beer I go to when I just want to get a cold, refreshing buzz without the bitterness of full flavor beer or the alcohol kick of liquor. Not much going for it in terms of character. I drink carbonated water daily and this simply feels like a hoppy, alcoholic version of that. I would say that it's deceptively strong for its watered down taste.

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch