1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob UltraMichelob Ultra

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Ratings: 1,474 | Reviews: 528 | Show All Ratings:
BierStein711

1.95/5  rDev +6.6%

THIS IS MY 250th BEER ON BEER ADVOCATE

MORE OF A SODA

All right, the celebration's over; nothing to celebrate at all, really. So, this beer is almost completely clear, I would say the color is a milky whiter yellow. The head is probably milky white or off-white

The carbonation is fierce, too much carbonation to be objective.

Smells of metal, corn, and rice

Taste: I don't really taste anything except rice and corn. Slight bite at the finish that reminds me of drinking Pepsi too fast out of a straw as a child.

Mouthfeel: watery

Overall, I don't regret having this beer. But, if this is all you've got just drink water instead. Or just have a soda.

08-25-2013 02:52:36 | More by BierStein711
Roguer

Connecticut

2.5/5  rDev +36.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A - I'd like to say "average American pilsner," but it really isn't. A little paler, very clear. An almost unhealthy-looking color.

S - Rather poor. A hint of alcohol, some skunkiness. Nothing else notable.

T - Very little flavor at all. Doesn't possess the skunky bitterness that Budweiser has so strongly. A hint of wheat. Surprisingly drinkable. No malts, bare hints of hops.

M - Very light and watery. Makes it easy to drink, though, if your goal is quantity over quality.

O - I'd say Mich Ultra is actually a better beer than the typical BMC fare, if only because it is so devoid of flavor that it avoids all the bad flavors. Definitely more drinkable on tap than Bud (for my tastes).

04-28-2013 20:25:09 | More by Roguer
Aaron_Ramson

1.78/5  rDev -2.7%

Ordered this from Applebee's, draft, 16 oz glass. Appearance is extremely light, pale straw colored yellow; clear as water and almost as light. Lots of bubbles continue to rise from the bottom to the surface; the head is almost non existant, no lacing but a soap like bubblineess. Smell is sweet corn and malts. Taste is sour and tart, light and watery, no discernible taste of hops or grains. I assume what I am tasting are the adjuncts; rice and corn. Mouthfeel is similar to soda water. This is a beer that you drink when you don't want to take any sort of enjoyment from the beer drinking experience, but then again no one drinks this for its taste. It's "diet" beer, but the low alcohol and crappy flavor nullify the fact that its lower calorie because you would have to drink several of these just to get a buzz, thereby equaling the calories you'd consume from drinking a quality beer. Basically It's what you drink when tap water isn't quite alcoholic enough for you.

12-14-2012 22:34:07 | More by Aaron_Ramson
VncentLIFE

1.48/5  rDev -19.1%

Why do I keep subjecting myself to the AALs? Pour is bright yellow and fizzy. No head, but the carbonation should produce something. Oh but wait, no. The smell is just astringent at best. Light notes of sweet corn, but its light at best. I think theres so much water that nothing can come through. Im talking like 99% water.

Oh but the taste isnt water. Its all bite. Astringency all the way. If this bit were from hops, I would forgive it a bit, but nope. Its all from the malt (or well rice, corn, and adjuncts).

All in all, I drank 1/5 of the glass and left it on the bar.

07-19-2012 01:38:56 | More by VncentLIFE
andrenaline

Ontario (Canada)

1.7/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Took down a pint at the neighborhood bar.

A - Pours a super pale straw colour, thin layer of head with no retention or lacing.

S - Mild on the nose, sweet corn, straw and grassy notes.

T - This is a light lager alright, sweet corn and bready malts come through and quickly fade. This is like water with faint beer flavor additives that leave you questioning whether you actually ordered beer and it got switched with water.

M - Thin, smooth and wet.

O - One pint was more than enough. An underwhelming light lager with flavors so mild it could be mistaken for a pint of beer that was mixed 50/50 with water. Avoid.

06-30-2012 19:50:28 | More by andrenaline
Flatlands

Missouri

1.93/5  rDev +5.5%

Beer special at the local bar for a pitcher so I figured what the heck, it was cheap. If you have left the mass market beers and dip your toes back in, you'll discover how little flavor and experience is out there. I will say this was better then water and since I had to drive home, it was a good choice. Clean and crisp was the most I got and AB can do that well.
A-Clear, no head, clean... safe
S-Actually, one of the better smelling mass market beers, floral with some pine
T-clean, mild, better then other light beers
M-hello, are you there? Not really
O-Safe, doesn't make me want to down another and get in trouble driving, clean and for it's style, one of the better AB offerings.

05-27-2012 17:06:44 | More by Flatlands
ronniebruner

Arizona

1.1/5  rDev -39.9%

I really hate to rate a beer this low, I actually feel bad about it. But honestly this beer is just this bad. The beer came in a glass and it was so light I legitimately thought it was seltzer water! The lack of aroma and taste only make it worse. I have never in my life seen a beer with this much carbonation either. Once again, I hate to rate a beer this bad, but this beer is just ridiculous. Had a cute girl I was hitting on not bought this for me, I would have just poured it into the sewer.

02-10-2012 04:55:31 | More by ronniebruner
boilermakerbrew

Missouri

1.65/5  rDev -9.8%

You know it's bad when the taste is the best part. Pours like golden water, head or lacing. Tastes almost like water, but with a little hint of cereal grains, and no trace of hops at all.

Truly a terrible excuse for beer. I can see why it's considered a girl beer, there's nothing there to be scared of taste wise.

01-20-2012 00:46:12 | More by boilermakerbrew
gtermi

1.48/5  rDev -19.1%

The beer is clear piss yellow and have a massive carbonated head. The smell has a slight corn smell with a tiny bit of grain. The taste is terrible. I just get nothing at all from this beer. I dont get how anybody can drink this stuff. I had to use like 10 limes to kill the flavor and make it a little drinkable. I just dont know what to even say about this beer, but it is beyond horrible. I just feel that it offers nothing at all and it is one of the worst beers I have ever had.

09-18-2011 06:48:17 | More by gtermi
bastardface

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This is one of those beers that I've had once and did not have it again. It really has not taste or enticing aroma. The look of it is also not impressive. I do not condone drinking this beer unless you are a true weakling. Drink a real beer instead.

03-08-2011 01:25:23 | More by bastardface
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

1.58/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A friend bought a pitcher for the band last night.

A: The beer is crystal clear and an extremely light shade of yellow. There is an inch of head that quickly fades, leaving no lacing.

S: There is no aroma. Zilch. I can't honestly say the aroma is repugnant, as it seemingly does not exist.

T: The beer has no virtually no flavor whatsoever, for better or worse. There's really nothing more to say.

M: It's extremely watery. In fact, it's the most watery beer I have ever had.

D: I would rather drink tap water. This beer is completely futile. It doesn't taste bad - it doesn't taste like anything. Why waste money on a product that has nothing to offer? To create the perception that you're taking care of your physique and/or being responsible by choosing low calorie, faddish, flavorless macro swill? I'll pass.

10-28-2010 19:26:40 | More by Huhzubendah
thagr81us

South Carolina

1.78/5  rDev -2.7%

Served from tap into a Magic Hat shaker. Pours golden yellow with a minimal amount of white head. There was no lacing evident at all on this one. The aroma was comprised of malt and a nutty note. The flavor was of malt, wheat, nutty, and water. It was light on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this brew was just blah... Short reply would be to say that this one sucks, unless of course you are trying to sober up (which I was).

08-17-2010 18:57:03 | More by thagr81us
TheElusiveAlexT

1.95/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance - A light yellow color that you can see through. The head faded quickly and there was almost no lacing left on the glass after I finished the beer. It looked like most other typical macro-brew beers like a Bud Light.

Smell - A faint lemon citrus smell over powered by a corn/metallic odor.

Taste - Lacking in taste. I really tried to pull the flavor out of it. There is a light lemon taste, emphasis on the light. A corny malty taste hits your tongue and fades quickly. For the most part it was like drinking carbonated water. The taste grew on me as I drank it but it was nothing impressive.

Mouthfeel - When I first drank the beer there was a lot of carbonation that impressed me at first but about 1/2 way down it was almost all gone and by the last few sips it was all gone. The taste leaves a bitter feeling in your mouth and not a good bitter feeling either. Its like drinking a bitter tonic water until the bubbles are gone and then its just a bitter water.

Drinkability - I agree with the other reviews that say, "the beer is drinkable but why bother?" and I disagree at the same time. This beer is light and doesn't kill you (4.20 ABV) so you can down it no problem but I did not find the experience all that enjoyable. My stomach rumbled when I finished it and I couldn't think how anyone could drink another unless they were already pretty wasted or had a huge beer belly

Serving type - Draft (on-tap)

Not the worst beer I've ever had but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

06-28-2010 23:47:19 | More by TheElusiveAlexT
thekanna

Maryland

1.58/5  rDev -13.7%

A: Extremely pale yellow with almost no head and active carbonation.

S: Nothing. I can't detect a single thing.

T/M: Very thin corn malts (I'm stretching here) and a bit of cooked veggies, but overall it's like a mouthful of over-carbonated seltzer water. Maybe a better comparison would be one of those fruit flavored seltzer waters that you buy at the grocery store, but in this case it's beer-flavored.

D: I don't see what's so "Ultra" about this beer, considering it tastes worse than original Michelob. And original Michelob was already at the bottom of my list.

05-20-2010 06:34:44 | More by thekanna
mtnbikerpa

3.2/5  rDev +74.9%

Born on date Jan 20 10. I am not bothering to pour this brew in to a glass. No real scent. I am drinking this cold right out of the freezer on a 65 degree spring day. Its hitting the spot. Certainly has a watery mouthfeel. A small amount of cereal and rice flavors. Slighty sweet. Nothing to special here. Will I drink some more? Yea. Not bad stuff.

03-21-2010 20:16:49 | More by mtnbikerpa
jwillcourt

1.88/5  rDev +2.7%

Served on tap into a pint glass.

A - Pale, straw color with a green tint. Perfectly clear with a steady but slow stream of bubbles up the middle. Skim of foam on the top disappears quickly and leaves a little lacing. What causes the green tint? If only it were hops....

S - A little grassy. Served way too cold to smell much.

T - Dry and crisp, with a little malt flavor and even less hops. Very watery.

M - Thin bodied and way over-carbonated. I tend to hold beer in my mouth for awhile before swallowing (so I can taste it and record my notes). That is not a good idea with this beer. It's not the flavor; it's the carbonation. The carbonic acid prickles my mouth and lips. The prickly feeling lingers, even minutes after a sip, an it isn't pleasant.

D - Surprisingly filling. I didn't want to drink anything else after the pint. The dryness and light flavor increase drinkability. The prickly carbonation does not.

02-11-2010 02:24:54 | More by jwillcourt
apbarwood

1.18/5  rDev -35.5%

I'm not sure what the Ultra refers to, cuz this beast is just awful. Looks like a watered down glass of some other super-pale beer. Smells like nothing else really, just Michelob Ultra. Tastes like cup of water that's been filtered through a bag of rotten grains. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemies.

09-04-2009 22:44:38 | More by apbarwood
civilizedpsycho

1.55/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: This is an extremely pale beer. It's clear and slightly golden, but not even as much as your typical Light Lager.

Smell: It has a somewhat sweet aroma to it, but there's really not much there.

Taste: Not very sweet, not very bitter. Quite frankly, it doesn't have much of anything at all.

Mouthfeel: It feels like carbonated water.

Drinkability: This is certainly something that should be avoided. If light beer is your thing, there are better ones out there.

I tried this beer because it happened to be the "Beer of the Month" at my regular bar. The waitress warned me that it was like water, but I tried it anyway and she was right. Simply put, I did not enjoy this beer and probably won't ever get it again.

06-11-2009 05:05:03 | More by civilizedpsycho
dmamiano

West Virginia

2.05/5  rDev +12%

Beer was a very light, almost pale yellow with a big head. No lacing left behind.Smell was fairly nondescript smelling like maybe corn flakes soaked in water. I did note a slight hop smell, but nothing that I could consider malt.
Taste was in a word...bad. No feel what so ever. Just a carbonated, very, very week beer flavor that left me wondering why.
These were free at the time, but I must say, as a beer lover, I switched to coffee after two of these.

11-02-2008 14:57:02 | More by dmamiano

3.2/5  rDev +74.9%

My favorite light beer by a nose...! =)

A: Very clear yellow in color. It looks very diluted, and there isnt much head to speak of. It left no lacing on the glass as I drank it.

S: Not good. I cant describe why, but I just dont like it.

T: This is the only area where this beer shines. It tastes like a beer (mind you a very light one), but a good one. Not bad at all.

M: Forget about it. Water is more filling in your mouth than this is.

D: Good, because it almost like beer flavored water.

Don't get me wrong-I like this brew, but it has few redeeming qualities, and as the reviews show, most if not all agree.

04-26-2008 01:25:33 | More by 1099
clayrock81

2.5/5  rDev +36.6%

A lot of people are going to think I am crazy, but I like this beer. A part of the reason is that I am straddling the line between beer geek (in training) and weight lifter (not huge yet). So having this at social gatherings at bars is almost necessary for me. If I wanted just to lose weight, I probably wouldn't drink this as there are much better light beers. Now, it is a very light, watery gold draft w/ a quickly dieing head that greets me (the barwecnch didn't even bother tilting the glass, but why bother with this beer). But I find that it has a nice, smooth but crisp body w/ the adjuncts making a nice taste (smell this and you are going to pick up water and corn). Since it is very low in calories and carbs and alcohol, this is redrinkable. In fact, you might have to drink many of them to catch a buzz.

01-15-2008 19:42:40 | More by clayrock81
n0315

1.3/5  rDev -29%

Very poor. Very very very poor. Has this in a pitcher via tap and all I can say is that I think it was water, not beer. Thats what I get for trying something new.

Little head or retention for that part. The only thing I can same about this is that it did feel crisp, thats why I gave a 2 for mouthfeel. Not bitter, but then again not much of anything. This is as light as it gets. For someone that wants to drink beer with their friends but is watching their weight, and does not not beer much anyways, this is the beer for you. light as it gets. Nothing more, nothing less. Gives you bloatedness while tasting like water.

12-29-2007 04:56:35 | More by n0315
mogul37

1.2/5  rDev -34.4%

The worst. This is the only beer I feel comfortable ranting about. For people who drink it, I understand what you're looking for, and my advice is this: Take a shot of cheap vodka, chug a glass of water and do some jumping jacks instead. Aside from the 1's, I gave it a 2 for drinkability because I would be comfortable chugging this if offered one, that way I could immediately order something different. This is just my opinion, and it's OK if this is your beer, but I would suggest Mic Light instead.

12-17-2007 04:44:33 | More by mogul37
JamesS

Indiana

1.85/5  rDev +1.1%

Mich Ultra has an average look, very pale straw coloring with some carbonation. Almost no head and little lacing. It has almost no scent to it and very little taste. It's very bland. It goes down easily, but only because it's nearly water. It would be all right for quenching your thirst after mowing your lawn, but so would a cool glass of H2O.

10-21-2007 03:00:46 | More by JamesS
mikesgroove

South Carolina

What can I really say about this, looks bad, smells like air and tastes like flavored water. At a concert it is all you can get, so its what you are left with. Pale yellow carbonated water that has to be drank freezing or it is completly untolerable, please look somewhere else.

05-27-2007 17:32:57 | More by mikesgroove