1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob UltraMichelob Ultra

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Ratings: 1,477 | Reviews: 528 | Show All Ratings:
Fabric8r

Montana

2.05/5  rDev +12%

My Wife bught me a 12 pack, with the idea this would be a good beer to drink while trying to cut carbs. You know, the Atkins thing. Anyway probably good while on that diet, but for a lover of full bodied, hopped, micros and home brews, this one tasted like carbonated water. I really had to try to get some flavor here. I could do the same thing by putting a tablespoon of homebrew in an empty bottle, and fill it up with water, carbonate it, and there you go. Lots cheaper too.

09-15-2003 18:34:46 | More by Fabric8r
guinness33

hmmm, did i have a bottle of 'perri-air', as seen in spaceballs, or was that a beer? it's questionable. this brew is light as hell, probably the lightest beer i've ever had. there are quite simply no characteristics here. it looks somewhat like a beer, but if it weren't for that i might not have known what u was drinking, as i couldn't detect a dominant smell or taste. the drinkability goes up because it's really like having a glass of water, but overall this just isn't a good brew. blah.

09-08-2003 16:01:26 | More by guinness33
Ellbert

2.75/5  rDev +50.3%

This was actually not as bad as I had expected. The appearance was that of a regular light beer with less of a head that dissapeared when you blinked. The smell was the same of any other light beer. The taste was much better than I expected from this. It tasted good to me today. However there was a bit of a watery taste to it. The mouth feel left a lot to be desired, very watery. I could drink a lot of these in one setting. I guess that is what it is made for. However, just because I could drink a lot of these in one setting doesn't mean I will.

09-02-2003 00:19:33 | More by Ellbert
TinusTime

1.25/5  rDev -31.7%

After watching this beer sell like crazy and seeing everyone at bars drinking it I finally had to break down and try this " beer"(I had sworn I wouldnt ).

Appearance-- the lightest pale yellow i have seen in a beer.. It looked like I had poured water in a dirty beer glass in order to clean it. Minimal head with no retention.

Smell-- not much to say.. Vaguely cereal with off putting chemical notes.. but not much smell to speak of.

Taste. If the colour was light the flavour was lighter. It tasted as if someone cut a Michelob light with tonic water. This is the white wine spritzer of beer. No real malt and the hops are there only if you really think about it.. Also seems overly carbonated. I guess you could say its got drinkability since its like drinking water. Actually I would prefer water to this stuff. Low Carbs be damned give me some flavour!!!

08-16-2003 18:10:15 | More by TinusTime
Elemental

Oregon

1.25/5  rDev -31.7%

This has to be one of the worst beers that I have ever tried. I kept asking myself "why, why, why." The color was extremely light and not enticing, much like the aroma. No hop aroma what so ever and a taste that is almost non-existant. A very watered down beer. I had to put some hops in the beer to give it at least a decent aroma to help me finish the beer.

07-30-2003 01:37:14 | More by Elemental
WesWes

2.9/5  rDev +58.5%

The beer pours a pale, almost clear, gold color; very light. The head laces nicely. The nose smells like regular Michelob, but noticably lighter. The taste is very watery, but still maintaining the lager flavor. It goes down very smooth and finishes crisp. It's a gusler, no doubt and a bonafied "chick" beer. I guess if you enjoy macro-brewed lagers like Michelob, this is a beer you would be excited about. It's the old philosophy of less calories, larger consumption. I don't worry myself with calorie counts. What's the point? If a beer tastes good drink it. Like anything else in life; Use in moderation.

07-23-2003 17:53:34 | More by WesWes
aaronh

1.48/5  rDev -19.1%

Local bar has 50 cent macro draft specials, and I decided to try this finally (before getting a bottle of Dead Guy Ale). Light lemony yellow color is almost clear. The smell is sort of a faintly skunked psuedo-beer aroma. The taste is slightly metallic, like bad well water. The mouthfeel is exceptionally harsh, and the drinkability is very poor. I actually returned about 2/3 of the glass and asked for my Dead Guy. The ownwer knows me, and said 'I told you, you wouldn't like that beer'. They didn't charge me for it. That just got the <beer girl> a bigger tip. Anybody that would warn me against macro crap, then not charge me for it when I started coughing like Bill the Cat is OK in my book. But this beer definitely is not. A disgrace to the Michelob label.

07-18-2003 02:25:55 | More by aaronh
Rootdog316

1.63/5  rDev -10.9%

Not too bad for a low carb (4g) beer. Taste was pretty good, didn't smell great though. The appearance was pretty decent, Michelob invested a lot in their new formula with the type of barley they use. Also like the cover, always liked Michelob's design for the bottles.

07-13-2003 14:19:46 | More by Rootdog316
WVbeergeek

There has to be something wrong with this beer... it's skunked right? That is the major response that I hear working at an outdoor summer concert venue when poured, after trying this beer just now I can honestly say I understand what they mean. In all reality this beer is not beer it's a bastardized marketing concept by a conglomerate of a big business in the brewing industry of a USA mass produced, dumb down American light lagers. Marketed as the "low carbohydrate" light beer to pair with the ongoing trend of the Atkins diet, so if you ask me this beer is going to die just the same as all trends do and mark my words if this ever becomes a staple of the brewing industry of this country I may just find my way to another place. Smooth and refreshing lager beer this is false advertisement, but here goes my description pours quite a few shades short of golden with a highly carbonated artificial fizzy white head leaving no lace, sad looking. Aroma very mild hop aroma some sweetness and light cooked veggie tones with an nonexisting aroma might as well be carbonated water. Taste offensive in all regards tries to pass of shitty piss water as a "lager beer" with a harsh nonrefreshing cooked veggie psuedo hop profile that I could only pray would taste like water instead of it's current form. Mouthfeel is of over carbonated seltza water with the drinkability of urine.

07-08-2003 23:44:20 | More by WVbeergeek
hotstuff

Indiana

This beer poured a large white frothy head with small bubbles that fully diminished. There was a lot of fizzy carbonation in this beer. The body was clear and the hue was pale yellow. The aroma was skunky and there was virtually no flavor to this beer. The mouthfeel was very watery and thin.

07-02-2003 11:06:18 | More by hotstuff
Brent

Kentucky

1.68/5  rDev -8.2%

I knew, sooner or later, one of these would roll by. It happened this weekend - on the golf course - parched - about to take a drink from the water hazard when someone offered me one of these. Michelob Ultra or pond water. From what I'd heard, a tough decision.

Low in carbs? Easy when you get 10 oz. in the serving. Not that it was any great loss. Overall, this was not a bad beer, at least not any worse than the run-of-the-mill macro lager - long on cooked cereal flavors. It really struck me as not being a beer at all. It is a mere echo of a beer, and could be called a "lightly beer-flavored malt beverage," in the class with Zima and hard lemonade. If the low-carb bandwagon runs out of steam, they could market it as "the beer for people who don't like the taste of beer."

06-30-2003 07:05:41 | More by Brent
Stingray5

1.65/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured a clear... ummm... Aroma was of umm.... taste was... ahh...

There's not much I can say about this "beer", as there was not much of anything present besides carbonation. Tasted like someone mixed 3 parts seltzer and 1 part Bud Light. Maybe they should have put it in a green bottle and called it Heineken Ultra. At least I could talk about the skunky flavor. For purposes of a review, I can't say the smell and taste were awful and give them 1's because they weren't awful, they were non-existent.

06-29-2003 16:42:48 | More by Stingray5
TheDM

Indiana

1.15/5  rDev -37.2%

This brew poured a large head of fine white bubbles and a weak watery urine yellow colored body. It has a very mild hop aroma, good lacing and a watery and thin rice beer flavor. No thanks, glad to get this one rated and off my list. This brew was a drain pour. Never again!

06-09-2003 17:23:27 | More by TheDM
DESTRO

Nevada

1.73/5  rDev -5.5%

ok, so i compete in muay thai which means i really have to watch my weight. so i cant always enjoy that high alcohol stout or porter. sometimes you have to take one for the team, so i figured id try this. low calories and really low carbs, whoopdie doo. i didnt pour it out, i figured it wouldnt be impressive and would just be a waste of a glass. basically this stuff taste like seltzer water. its fizzy and has really no flavor at all. i mean, it dosnt even taste like a light beer. i cant describe it, because there isnt anything there. maybe ill just stick to good beer and do more sit ups. blah.

06-03-2003 22:19:37 | More by DESTRO
pheurton

1.27/5  rDev -30.6%

someone had these on a recent camping trip, and i couldn't resist trying it. pours a very fizzy clear, clear yellow with an instantaneously disappearing head. no aroma to speak of. taste is watery corn-beer, like someone took a coors light and cut it with club soda. palatable if ice cold, forget it if it gets above 40 degrees. i can't even imagine people who like light beer liking this crap. what an f'n disgrace.

06-01-2003 14:03:15 | More by pheurton
BeerResearcher

1.6/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Let's start by saying something positive. There's a Born on Date. This is the palest beer I have ever seen. Sort of what I peed after a day at the AOBF. An overly carbonated head fizzes up, fades and leaves a thin coating on top. The faint aroma of malt was barely discernable from a box of Rice Crispies and even that trace of smell faded into nothingness. There's a very mild citrus hop flavor and this taste can be conjured up by furiously smacking your tongue on the roof of your mouth several times (don't do this in public). An irksome seltzery fizz lasts almost throughout the glass. At 95 calories Ultra must be the choice of hip anorexics.
Edit: I had to lower the drinkability factor by a point. This this crap not be drunk!

05-29-2003 19:03:40 | More by BeerResearcher
freed

Oregon

1.27/5  rDev -30.6%

This wasn't the worst beer I've ever had because it isn't a beer. What? not a beer? But it has all the esential beer ingredients, like water, carbonation, and a bottle with a label.

The beer poored a wonderful color between the ground and the sky in kid's pictures. The smell? I never caught the smell. My olfactory glands aren't sensetive enough. What's left? Taste? It tasted like seltzer mixed with light beer. At least its better than seltzer though.

Why was I drinking this? My uncle insisted. I think I finished the bottle because it was empty, but my stomach didn't believe it.

05-27-2003 20:27:30 | More by freed
frank4sail

1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

Very, very pale yellow with way too many bubbles. White head initally but this is a memory after the pour. Slight musty nose. Watery slightly sour musty malt taste. Tastes like overcarbonated light beer that has been filtered through a dirty old sock!

05-22-2003 12:44:16 | More by frank4sail
Wildman

1.4/5  rDev -23.5%

I decided to give this a try at a work get together where I wouldn't be stuck buying a whole six pack of the stuff. It poured a very pale straw color and formed a white foamy head that left trace lace as it quickly subsided. A small amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of grain with an almost chemical aspect to it. A flavor of grain. The finish is just too tart/bitter/etc. to really recommend this beer at all.

05-10-2003 17:49:49 | More by Wildman
NeroFiddled

2.15/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours an absolutely crystal-clear, and exceptionally-pale straw colored body. Streams of standard-sized, fast-rising bubbles are quite noticeable and help to support it's good-sized, foamy, bright-white head. Its retention is surprisingly good and it leaves a very nice ring of lace at the outset, and then some decent lace throughout the glass. The aroma leaves something to be desired with a thin huskiness that detracts from it's very lightly grainy malt note. The body is light; and the creamy head lends a bit of softness to the crisp and effervescent carbonation that follows. As it releases it's gas it becomes even softer, and somewhat creamy in the mouth; but it's a trade-off because the carbonation actually helps to enhance the flavor that's there. The flavor is limited, but what else could be expected of a beer that's labelled as a "low carbohydrate light beer". There's some thin grainy malt present, and it's surprisingly well-balanced by a subtle interwoven bitterness, yet it seems lacking. It finishes almost without notice. Still, it's clean and refreshing. It might make a good beer at an outdoor sporting event in the summer, but other than that I don't think it has enough character to keep it interesting throughout even one bottle.

05-02-2003 16:45:23 | More by NeroFiddled
ElGuapo

1.38/5  rDev -24.6%

Looks like a fresh piss sitting in the toilet. It is slightly yellow with a few bubbles on top. I will say that the toilet bubbles hold better than the head on this one. Aroma? Well. if you really work at it, you may pickup some bread, and that is all.

Taste. Let's see. You know if you throw about an eighth of the required mix into an iced tea or lemonade and it tastes like funny water. That is what Ultra is. Ultra low watery flavor. A bit of grain, no hops, really no flavor. Much less flavor than flavored vitamin waters. For that reason, I can not give it good drinkability because it does not even strike me as a beer. It is not drinkable as far as flavored water goes. Wow, I can not believe people buy this stuff so much.

04-21-2003 17:18:40 | More by ElGuapo
AtLagerHeads

1.6/5  rDev -12.6%

Settled in at the tap corner of the local Cold Cheeseburgers and Bad Beer bar for a burger and a beer. So what tap pull is right beside my left arm? Mic Ultra. Happy hour discounts. Gotta try it, right? Big mistake. This is bad branding at its best. The Ultra label has got to mean something special, but not in this case. Ultra pale with almost no color whatsoever. No real aroma. No taste - which is a good thing considering that it's an A-B. No head. No lace. This is just Ultra bad.

04-16-2003 18:09:42 | More by AtLagerHeads
scottum

Vermont

1.08/5  rDev -41%

What the??? Is this really beer? I thought it was beer flavored water. I'd much rather drink water flavored water than waste my time on this "beer." Beers like this take the fun out of drinking. I drink beer because I like beer, not because I want to get drunk. This is not a beer made for people who like beer. Again: Yuck!

03-15-2003 10:19:20 | More by scottum
Dantes

1.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Package: 12 oz. brown glass twist-off bottle. Predominantly white and blue label. “Born-on” date not noted.

Cost: Consumed at a party, but runs ~$4.99 around here

Presentation: Selected from an ice-chest and poured into a water glass.

Appearance: Vigorous pour resulted in a small, white, short-lived head. Palest straw, crystal-clear body. One of the lightest colored beers I’ve seen.

Smell: Almost no aroma whatsoever, perhaps due to its being ice-cold; but as it warmed, nothing developed.

Taste: Like the aroma, nothing but cold, carbonated liquid registers. As it warmed, the predominant taste was of boiled, frozen corn (actually boiled vegetables in general), with a vague sweetness and a bit of a metallic, bitter edge. Surprising for a bottle! No body or finish.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated, rough, mouthfeel, which is only somewhat ameliorated by the icy-coldness.

Drinkability: For people who want to know how one might rate this category, here goes my logic. I can’t see a circumstance (other than curiosity, which provoked this review) why one would drink this. If you want low carbs, drink dry table wine or water; if you want to get drunk, any other (cheaper) beer would do; if you want mineral water, drink Pellegrino. I don’t think drinkability refers to how many one can have in one sitting, or how easily it is consumed, but to what degree one would want to drink a beer within certain parameters or beer type. I would only consume this again under duress. Within these guidelines, this is a 1 (if not a 0).

I went to a housewarming party that offered this and Jersey Gold (had some of that as well) for beer selections, so I had to try it. This is the answer to a question, no one really asked, despite its low-carb credentials. Although it doesn’t present any really off tastes, it is not pleasant. Those who compare it to seltzer or mineral water are totally off. Mineral waters offer a wide range of complexity as well, with some having distinct, clean, refreshing tastes. I would much rather have a Pellegrino, Lanjaron, or Panna than this beer. If you want to cut carbs and have some alcohol, make a spritzer. If you want to drink beer, drink something else.

Bottom Line: Not the worst beer I’ve ever had (that remains Koch’s Golden Anniversary), but why drink it?

03-10-2003 15:55:15 | More by Dantes
budgood1

1.25/5  rDev -31.7%

clear, pale, pale, pale yellow....thin foamy head. hints of lace. hints of adjuncts in the aroma. tastes of...um...nothing. seltzer water body. mineral water soul. there is some slight graininess to give it a ghostly like "light beeriness". crisp and clean. it's drinkable, but why would you want to drink this "beer" again? i swear i will NEVER drink this again as long as i live. worse than i expected...a shameful concoction.

02-23-2003 20:49:23 | More by budgood1