Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
Reviews: 577 | Hads: 2,097
1.2/5  rDev -34.8%

Please remove this from Beeradvocate, as this is not a beer in the strictest sense of the term.

Since the foundation of beer is the makeup of the nonfermentable carbohydrates it contains, it makes sense that a beer void of significant carbohydrates would be light in color, low in taste, and lacking any mouthfeel whatsoever. If that is your gauge, this beer delivers. If I am watching carbs, I'd prefer to have less quantity of a good beer than any of this. I'll pass, thank you.

On the plus side, it is somewhat thirst-quenching. But then so is water.

2.67/5  rDev +45.1%

11/02/04- Purchased at the local grocery store..

Appearance- Poor head retention (next to none), same with the lacing. Very light yellow straw coloring,

Smell- Scent of corn, maybe a bit of malt. Not really much scent. Doesn't smell horrible.

Taste- Well, I was expecting the worst, but it wasn't half bad. I had these for the first time in Arizona early this year and this is about the only beer my girlfriends Grandfather had. So, we drank it and got kind of used to it. It definitely quenched my thirst. Don't get me wrong, it's not a superior beer or anywhere near that. But, it's not a bad stand by if it's all you've got. A bit of malt taste. Very light and very crisp.

Mouthfeel- Pretty heafty carbonation. Kinda like seltzer water. Crisp feeling.

Drinkability- See taste above. Better than I expected. Not much flavor though. Did the job at hand though. Quenching my thirst at 90 plus degree temperatures.

1.09/5  rDev -40.8%

Ever piss in a frosty mug? Hey...look a glass if Michelob Ultra.
(also leftover from someone else...I have more self-esteem than to buy this swill)

I just despise these ads on the radio about "rewarding yourself with a good beer after a workout." Uhh...then don't drink this crap.

Ok ok, a real review.
Appearance: Very light, pale yellow, crystal clear (there's hardly anything there) with a thin, weak foam. Ok, so some real beer may appear similar, in the right light, in the fog, if you squint...

Smell: My nearby glass of water had more aroma.

Taste: For all you beer morons...no carbs = no taste. It's that simple. There's just nothing there except that stale beer aftertaste that coated the back of my toungue on many a morn in college.

Mouthfeel: A mouthful of pop rocks would fizz less.

Drinkability: Fizz stale beer flavor water! Whoo hoo! I'll have another and a swift boot to the head please!

1.69/5  rDev -8.2%

Did not and would not pay for this beer, leftovers from a friend (girl) from a party we hosted...

The appearence I will mark at average, despite the piss golden color from the pour the medium-small white head rentained quite well, also there was a few signs of lacing with a decent effect, not a bad start... however, the smell I tried to find something and it smelled like a few kernels of corn, what a joke.

No joke, this beer has little to no taste to this, it's a litter version of Bud Light's beer flavored water. The mouthfeel wasn't good, the aftertaste was non-existant and my mouth just was not happy. The drinkability is good from a standpoint that you can drink these down easily and it's easy to drink, but that doesn;t prove to be good enough when your beer has little-to-no taste, therefore I would not have another, I will drink a locally brewed Christian Moerlein as my safety beer, same price and all...

Final Thought: I apologized to my taste buds, and I'm not joking about this!

1.48/5  rDev -19.6%

I was at my friend's house and look to see what beer they have and all they got is a case of this. What the hell I'll give it a try. The pour leaves a super light pale appearance with a medium head that goes down after a few seconds. Smell is odd and not too good. There's a corn and mud smell to it. Amazingly the taste is nothing. I don't know how they do it, water has more taste. Maybe I should give higher ratings because this is probably a good beer to the crowd A-B is making it for (people who don't like beer or flavor), but to me this sucked. I guess it was somewhat crisp and washed down my lunch but that's about it. Probably good for drinking games as well.

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%

Brewed by Anheuser-Busch. Adjunct lager. Light. Low-Carb. Any one of those is enough to give me pause. All four in the same bottle are a frightening proposition, one that I had avoided until now. When a few bottles were left over after a tailgating party prior to a football game yesterday, I couldn't resist the temptation to see what this stuff is actually like. Knowing that I'm a lover of good beer, my friend was more than a little amused when I accepted a bottle and agreed to try it. Her words were something to the effect of "I guarantee you won't like it". Gee, think so?

The very definition of straw yellow. In fact, it's *light* straw yellow. The only lighter 'beer-like beverage' (which, come to think of it, could be used for both examples) in my experience was a now forgotten brand of cider/perry. The head is shockingly bright white and is composed of semi-stiff foam. The fact that it doesn't fall instantly and leaves a little lace leads me to bump it a half point above the minimum allowable. At least we're not looking at 'ones' across the board.

Even though the nose is nearly absent, something is making its way to my olfactory lobe. I can appreciate faint grain-like notes along with an artificial, chemical-like nastiness that isn't powerful enough to truly offend. If I'm being kind, there's a suggestion of fruitiness that, nevertheless, can't pull this sucker out of the abysmal range.

Actually, it has more flavor than I expected. That doesn't mean that it's more than minimal, just that it's more than none. It's distinguishable from soda water, but only just. There's the barest suggestion of sour grain with that same artificial flavor that I appreciated in the nose. Both fade almost as soon as they appear, carried along on the wateriest 'body' that one can imagine. In fact, this beer has no body. It's non-corporeal, ghost-like, as graspable as water vapor (with which it has much in common).

The original owner of this beverage said the following when she handed over the bottle: "I don't like beer and I only drink this because it tastes less like beer than any beer I've ever had. It has to be ice-cold though or I won't touch it". That says it all, don't you think? The plain truth is that Michelob Ultra isn't beer at all, but anti-beer. For that, it deserves every bit of hostility thrown its way. And more.

Embarrassingly, I've tried this shit. What a pitiful excuse for a "beer". Low carb beer? It's worse than decaf coffee. It's worse than sugar-free candy. It's even worse than non-alcoholic beer. It's like seltzer water that got left for 20 years in a septic tank. Nasty shit. Atkins people are going to be the death of modern society.

1.57/5  rDev -14.7%

Drank this because a chick bought a pitcher and the service was terrable. Next time I will wait.

It's like club soda with a twist of beer. Not much color, not much flavor. Not bite of hop.

Not really much to say about this stuff. It's pretty popular with girls...

2.37/5  rDev +28.8%

I thought I rated this one pretty fairly. Taking into consideration what kind of beer it is and toward whom it is marketed. I didn't give it lousy ratings because is didn't have a coffee like smell to it or have a caramel-like taste. I gave it lousy ratings because even considering what kind of beer it is, it's not very good. Not total crap, but you can see "total crap" from where this beer stands. This is with out question, the absolute lightest coloured beer I have ever seen in my life. It's almost clear! Like watered down ginger ale. Typical adjuct lager/old damp dish rag smell. Sorry lacing. Tasted about like someone dumped a shot glass full of MGD into a big glass of seltzer water. Very carbonated. The only reason I gave drinkability 3.0 is because you could drink gallons of this stuff, there's nothing to it.
Here's a piece of advice. If you're on the low-carb kick and you still want some kind of brew, do yourself a favour and pick up some Aspen Edge from Coors. It's still beer flavoured water, but it has alot more flavour than this stuff has.

1.48/5  rDev -19.6%

Presentation: 12 oz brown twist off bottle with a “Born On Date” on the neck. Pours an extremely pale yellow color. Very clear, little carbonation. The only saving grace was the tall head, though it disappeared within a minute. Aroma seems typical of an adjunct, a corn-type smell to it, but it smells almost stale.

Very little flavor to it at all. I'd say there's a bit of a hop flavor in the background, but nothing discernable. Feels watery and thin, though crisp. Feels almost like a sparkling water.

While this beer would be extremely drinkable by the sheer fact that it would do down like water, I couldn't see being able to drink this often, or more than in a setting anyway, if that. And, yes, this beer was proof that my favorite kind of beer is free and cold.

1.35/5  rDev -26.6%

This might be the worst beer I have ever had. There is no taste or mouthfeel. This is a beer that was created by a marketing company. I hate this mouthful of shait.

Here's the premise: If you are active --carbs are making you fat !!Beer has lots of carbs ! Drink this low carb beer and it fits in perfectly with your active lifestyle and you will stay thin and beautiful--like you think you are now.

Here are some characteristics -- carbonated, watery crap flavored like bad beer.

1.55/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours like a typical pilsner but lighter. Reminds me of piss after I have put down a few juggs of water. Slight color, lots of carbonation. I guess they took out carbs and added water and carbonation in its place. Imagine Keystone Light mixed 50/50 with water without the aluminum can taste. If you can imagine that, you hit this beer right on. Who would pay for this? I'd rather drink half of any other beer than drink a full one of this if I was truely in it for watching my carb intake. Does anybody else realize that alcohol is one of the simplest sugars...worse on you than sugar. Hmm, don't ever buy this, or even drink it when offered. I once had this on ice...yes poured over ice, horrid.

1.06/5  rDev -42.4%

Since 1986 I have had Michelob Light on tap at home. Up until December 2003 when I got on a Guiness kick I wouldn't go to a bar or eatery that didn't serve Mick Light. While on the Guiness wagon a friend suggested I try a Rogue Shakespere stout. It took a half and hour for me to get it down. My taste buds were in shock. Too many years of Clydesdale urine I guess. That was then. Now, nine months and 350+ beers later, along with a trip to Belgium, I can't beleive that I was brainwashed by the billion dollar ad campaign as mentioned on the back of an Arrogant Bastard ale.
I was at a party and was given a 'beer'. To say it was horrible would be a compliment. After asking, I was told that I had a Michelob Ultra. "Pretty good, huh?" , the guy said as he served up another to some poor brainwashed soul. My taste buds were in shock again. Thank God I have good gag reflexes too.
Ultra can't be a beer. It's fizzy something, but I don't know what. There is no malt, no hop, no taste. I'm thinking that there's water in it, that's why it's wet, but I can't say if the water is potable because I could only take a few sips and felt my body going into full regection mode. I left the party saying I had other commitments and proceeded home to a Rochefort 10. God bless the monks.
After the Ultra experience I've come to two conclusions.
1. The mentality of society has got to be regressing. What could possibly be the only other reason someone would buy this ' yellow fizzy whatever'.
2. A billion dollar ad campaign really does work. A couple of frogs talking to each other. A herd of horses playing football. The next thing you know Ultra is the next best thing since sliced bread. PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS!!!
Here's my plan. I shit on the roof of my car and then buff it all over the damn thing. If anyone asks, I tell them it's Shine-ola and I'm the only supplier. If all goes as planned, two months later I'm rich. Ya gotta love stupid people. Anheuser and Busch do.

2.3/5  rDev +25%

Born on dated 5-17-04

This beer poured a pale-pale yellow, very watered downed yellow in color. It was crystal clear and super carbonated, tons of dancing bubbles (probably one of the most carbonated beers that I have come across to date). After a semi-vigorous pour it produced a fairly thick foam, between 1 and 2 inches high. It was not to dense, more on the light and airy side (cloud like). It was pure white in color, and had a lasting power that was fairly decent; it finally fell to nothing around half glass. There was some lace present in the beginning but it ran down the sides and disappeared faster then the head. The aroma was on the light side, hints of grains, husks (corn) and a light malt, more sweet then malty. All and all the aroma was nothing outstanding but was crisp, light and airy, like the head that was produced. The taste was allot like the aromas, light, airy, and on the sweet side. Flavors of sweet light malt dominated along with a grainy husky corn presence all through the mouth from first sip on the lips and tongue to it made its way down the back of the throat. There was a slight aftertaste of some sweetness and grains, but it quickly faded. It was very light in body. Over all impression of this beer, it is a good beer compared to most of its competitors, nothing much as far as aromas and tastes. It leaves nothing to make you want to come back for more. But I can say it is a crisp, clean, refreshing beer that on a hot day did its job. I swiped this one from my dad’s case that we keep for him for my house because he helps out so much, and I can honestly say, his stash is safe from me, I will not be raiding it.

1.3/5  rDev -29.3%

Morbid curiosity drove me to try a bottle, and nearly killed me. It smells vaguely like beer but the resemblance ends there. It's sharp and fizzy and thin, with a harsh, almost soapy taste. If you think of it as mineral water, it's not so bad. Considering that it's obviously filtered to death, what the hell is in this stuff? Less than half a bottle gave me a vise-clencher of a headache and a queasy gut.

Never again.

2.38/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Color is almost totally lacking, just a hint of pale yellow. Some white foam, but quickly disappears. The aroma is mild: fruity, apple is hinted at, and the initial taste is harsh. A hint of malt, almost no hops – or flavor. Like a friend of mine said, why would anyone drink this when there are pilsners available? The flavor is more than “limited,” it is almost undetectable. This will definitely be my last Ultra.

This spits in the face of beer heritage. Beer is not meant to be like this, and if you are drinking this to lose weight, you are not forgiven.
Plus, it was one of the first indication of the low carb trend, so this beer has a special place in Hell.
Anyways, pale yellow, with little white head, no aroma, no flavor, no body. Thin and flavorless, mostly carbonation flavor.
Would make a good fix if you ran out of soda water for scotch and soda.

1.57/5  rDev -14.7%

Well at the father in laws house and of course they are on the Atkins craze, so I decided to have one. Pours a very straw, very light light yellow, almost more clear than yellow with a carbonation head that fizzles down like carbonated beverages. The smell is very faint and clean, slight corn and grain. The taste is very light, it did feel crisp in the mouth but little flavor that said drink me. I would not drink this again ever, I just wish this low carb craze will go away. Here is the crazy thing, this sells for 5 bucks a sixer, for a buck more you can get great lagers.

1.35/5  rDev -26.6%

Got a sixer of this just for something to do. Pours ultra pale, like watered down bud light. Taste is non-existent. I'm not a big fan of this low-carb fad that's sweeping the beer industry, but if you are gonna hop on that bandwagon, grab some Aspen Edge, it's smoother and less offensive..

2.02/5  rDev +9.8%

My mother is on the Atkin's diet, so she is trying this beer. I figured I'd have one just for the sake of reviewing.

Appearance- Extremely pale, looks like someone added water to a Coors Light

Smell- Typical macro lager smell, nothing special

Taste- Too light, not any flavor to speak of, not offensive though

Mouthfeel- Not bad, smooth

Drinkability- I wouldn't drink this again, but it wasn't so terrible as to make me loath Michelob Ultra. Its just too light to have any personality.

1.28/5  rDev -30.4%

330ml bottle

Pours with a colourless body, fairly heavy carbonation and a fuzzy whispy head which doesnt stay around for long

Smell, is this a beer? Almost nothing comes off this, smells like the unfermented aroma of becks non alcoholic

Taste, sickening dryness, tastes with fizzy water, not much else

I hope that this low-carb thing doesnt become any bigger, and I hope it dies like all bad ideas should

1.43/5  rDev -22.3%

I have a friend who drinks this stuff religiously, so I finally gave in and bummed a taste off of her, in exchange for some of my blind faith. As she was gagging, I had to check to see if I somehow made a mistake and picked up a bottle of water because this had absolutely no taste.
Well, maybe not no taste. A bit of corn/rice adjunct and carbonation, but even less than bud light. No bitterness, no hops, no real beer taste. Here's my theory on how they actually make Michelob Ultra... they take a vat of carbonated water, add yellow food coloring, through in some corn husks and let it soak just long enough to get that taste, bottle it, label it low carb and it's on its way to the health conscious women of America.

1.43/5  rDev -22.3%

This beer poured a crystal clear, sepia toned, yellow body with a fluffy white head.

The nose was almost none existent. Corn, rice, that’s it.

The taste was carbonated water. Period. Maybe a very slight corn sweetness. Very fine bubbles. No hop taste. No alcohol taste (though it does start to take effect eventually). Slight slight corn or rice malty flavor. Basically it tastes like corn flavored carbonated water.

Why waste money on a 6 pack of this when you can just get bottled water. Seriously sad beer. I will give it credit that it has no off flavors like some macros; it’s very quaffable, but still…. I kept taking sip after sip and huge sniffs of the nose writing this review and all I had written for 10 minutes was “carbonated water”

1.11/5  rDev -39.7%

appearance: golden
smell: better than taste...only slightly awful
taste: distinct flavor is chemical - like artificial rice. No wait...maybe they use water from a dog's bowl?
mouthfeel: Others are thinner and less distinct
impressions: Atkins beer? That makes this a great excuse for kicking that diet.

*This is truly the worst lager I've ever had*

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%

This beer is like sex in a canoe-it's fu**ing near water. Pours a pale, pale yellow, (almost clear) with little to no head. I have had bottled water with more taste than this garbage. No smell to speak of, mouthfeel is non existent. I can only give a higher mark for drinkability simply because the stuff goes down so easy, but so does water. Ultra is a fitting name for this beer, it ultra SUCKS.

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch