Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
2.25/5  rDev +21.6%

2.63/5  rDev +42.2%

Poured into a pint glass at 38 degrees.

Appearance: A two finger white heat that has absolutely no retention. The color of the beer is a really light yellow. There are a couple of effervescence bubbles. The clarity of the beer is brilliant.

Nose: A very light malty sweet corn.

Taste: A super light malty with a taste of corn.

Overall: The mouth feel is crisp and clean. The body of the beer is super light and the finish is nil. This beer doesn't have much going for it. The beer fits well in the guidelines for its style and that is only the reason why it got this rating.

1.37/5  rDev -25.9%

Pale, almost clear yellow with a slight skim of foam around the edges. Smells very faintly of creamed corn and nothing else. This beverage takes flavorless to new levels. Very similar to sparkling water. Watered down grain and faint artificial sweetness. Very light effervescent mouthfeel, finishes squeaky clean. My buddy left a few of these in the fridge and I just couldn't resist. I think this beer is for those that want a diet beer without all that "beer flavor" getting in the way.

2.43/5  rDev +31.4%

Pours a very pale straw yellow color with a small amount of fizzy white head, not really any lacing.

The scent was mostly of corn.

The taste was of corn, some biscuty malts and yeast.

Light bodied, incredibly thin, very crisp, low carbonation.

I have to say this was much better than I had anticipated. There is actually some flavor which I expected none. I doubt I will drink this ever again but I would take it over many other light lagers.

1.25/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Might be the worst beer to date. No taste. Better off drinking a glass of water

2.25/5  rDev +21.6%

1.17/5  rDev -36.8%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle, into a little pilsner glass. The color was a VERY pale yellow, with a quickly dissipating head. The smell was a barely noticable sorta-malt. The taste was basically nonexistant...basically like drinking seltzer with some sort of beer extract flavor. Mouthfeel was thin. As for drinkability, not one I'm ever gonna have again.

Consider this research for academic purposes. I've come up with my own marketing slogans, though: "The Beer to Have When you Aren't Drinking Beer!", not to mention "Lose the Carbs AND the Taste!". Needless to say, now that I've encountered the enemy, I'll never have this one again...if I go on a diet, I'll give up beer first.

1.5/5  rDev -18.9%

Local bar has 50 cent macro draft specials, and I decided to try this finally (before getting a bottle of Dead Guy Ale). Light lemony yellow color is almost clear. The smell is sort of a faintly skunked psuedo-beer aroma. The taste is slightly metallic, like bad well water. The mouthfeel is exceptionally harsh, and the drinkability is very poor. I actually returned about 2/3 of the glass and asked for my Dead Guy. The ownwer knows me, and said 'I told you, you wouldn't like that beer'. They didn't charge me for it. That just got the <beer girl> a bigger tip. Anybody that would warn me against macro crap, then not charge me for it when I started coughing like Bill the Cat is OK in my book. But this beer definitely is not. A disgrace to the Michelob label.

This is not a beer. This is barely even a malt beverage. It has the color and carbonation of champagne, a winey/cheap champagne nose, a mouthfeel similar to mineral water and virtually no taste. It even feels like water as it settles into in my stomach. That's just not right. When you can actually smell the alcohol in a low alcohol beer (4.1%abv, 3.2%abw, same as the OK and UT requirements for convenience store brew) IT AIN'T FRIGGIN' BEER! It is so devoid of taste that it will actually help sales of beers like Sam Adams Light. Lite beer drinkers will eschew this tasteless Ultra crap en masse and ask the barkeep for a light beer with flavor. Then they will taste the Sam Light and howl uncontrollably and cause some poor guy to get a dart planted in his buttocks...

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch