Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
alleykatking

Indiana

1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a very watery looking clear sunshine yellow color. Very cabonated with bubbles coming up from everywhere. 1 finger crisp white head that dissolves into nothing in about 2 seconds flat. No lacing to be seen at all. Terrible looking beer. I think Select 55 had more than this beer does.

S- Sweet malts underlying this entire beer with some cereal style adjunct smells in this one. Just smells artifical to me.

T- Sweet upfront and cereal grains punch through almost right away. This is watery tasting the rest of the way. Not a good tasting beer at all. Actually I wouldn't even say this is a beer. Although, it does taste skunked and well....more skunked.

M- Light mouthfeel. Overly carbonated which is a good thing so it just fizzles over the palate in a huge rush to get to the throat. Sickly sweetness left on the tongue to remind you of what you are about to take another sip of. Crisp finish on this but terrible aftertaste.

D- This is crap to drink. I wouldn't even play a joke on someone with this stuff. I don't see how people like it but then again this is not for the "craft" beer person.

This was a 5 second drink then about a 2/3 glass drainpour. I normally no matter how much I dislike a beer will drink it. This one I just couldn't. Bleh....gross!

10-29-2009 04:11:17 | More by alleykatking
BeerSingh

India

2.3/5  rDev +25.7%

Ordered at Uncle Julio's. Poured starw coloured with thin head, no smell and soda water 0.1% hop taste. Surprisingly, not even a hint of malt. Waterlike with high carbonation. If you want a session without any stopping or guilt, this could be a possible choice.

10-07-2009 06:19:06 | More by BeerSingh
will4240

1.53/5  rDev -16.4%

Welp... What can you say about a beer like this...

A- Not, sure, straight from a bottle due to the fact that the friends house I am at is serving this... But in all honesty, does it really matter? It's safe to say that piss would be a good way to describe this beer.

S- Foot, old shoe. Typical amongst light lagers, and used sporting equipment stores.

T- Well, not a whole lot of malt... or hops... watered down crappy beer is probably the best way to describe this...

M- Couldn't swallow fast enough.

D- Maybe ample to get drunk on...

AVOID

09-28-2009 04:33:25 | More by will4240
PhxHorn

Arizona

1.38/5  rDev -24.6%

Yeah, OK, I'm stuck at a bar with not a single decent beer. So I might as well have the one with the least carbs, eh?

Well, they didn't give a glass, so I had to drink it from the bottle. So appearance gets an automatic F, right? Smells like ass, too. Tastes like sweet cornflakes left out in the sun for a week. I mean, goddamn, this is bad. I finished it, though, since I had to get my six bucks worth.

09-26-2009 18:10:07 | More by PhxHorn
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

1.68/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured into Bud American Ale Glass.

Poured vigorously to yeild some white head but fades down so fast. Color is a clear straw yellow gold.

Aroma: Very bland. Not to much here. Some grains and that's about it.

Taste: Pretty much the same thing, except I get some corn here. Very light and bland.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and nothing I like. Light bodied and a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with a very dry aftertaste.

Overall, not something I would ever buy. Light and thin. This is just a fancy way of saying a light beer is light.

09-20-2009 04:00:10 | More by mothman
WakeandBake

A very pale yellow pour with a thin fizzy white head , no lacing. Aroma of light sweet corn , faint grain and very littlke else . Flavor is very light , some light malt , raw grain and carbonated water . No hop flavor at all , no bitterness, prickly mouthfeel from too much carbonation , light body , no aftertaste . Drinkable but not very good , nothing offensive , just not at all what I look for in a beer like aroma and flavor .

09-18-2009 20:29:40 | More by WakeandBake
apbarwood

1.18/5  rDev -35.5%

I'm not sure what the Ultra refers to, cuz this beast is just awful. Looks like a watered down glass of some other super-pale beer. Smells like nothing else really, just Michelob Ultra. Tastes like cup of water that's been filtered through a bag of rotten grains. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemies.

09-04-2009 22:44:38 | More by apbarwood
TJBAIHWL

2.65/5  rDev +44.8%

Pours VERY pale. Paler even than ginger ale. About 1/4 inch of head that lasts a couple seconds. No lacing.

Smell is on par with carbon monoxide or air. That is to say, none.

Taste is bland, but not entirely flavorless. Sweet, but no bitterness to speak of.

Has the mouthfeel of soda.

Drinkability is the highlight here. Could easily down a 12 of these.

09-03-2009 00:31:43 | More by TJBAIHWL
scottyshades

1.5/5  rDev -18%

This my friends, is the epitome of a bad beer. Low carbs, for those people who want to drink beer badly enough to sacrifice taste but are worried about their weight. Here's a solution, walk up three stairs, then walk down three stairs; there is 95 calories..

A: Pours a transparent straw color that produces a tiny head that doesn't even retain for more than 5 seconds. No lacing.

S: Nothingness. I think this beer should be called the Abyss. Cereal, corn, grains, no malts, no hops, nothing interesting, just like drinking a puree of corn flakes and adding a thimble full of alcohol.

MF/D: Over-fizzled carbonation, lightest body possible, metallic lingering finish, semi-dry.

Perhaps the worst "beer" I've consumed since Chelada. I mean, I'm not a hater on these styles necessarily, but come'on!! Draw the line somewhere! Miller/Bud/Coors have all created beers that are light and low in calories! How far do we have to go?

08-27-2009 19:30:19 | More by scottyshades
dpodratsky3

1.6/5  rDev -12.6%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Pours a ginger-ale color that is very pale. The first oz or so pours almost clear. Has a decent head at first, albeit a very thin one that is short lived.

S: Smells like sweet adjunct with a faint hoppiness. Faint smell overall though.

T: Tastes like nothing really. LIke carbonated soda water wit ha faint hop finish, but heavy emphasis on the faint.

M: Some crisp carbonation, but once again like soda water.

D: Easy to drink, in a volume sense, but I would rather have as little of this as possible. Skip the 95 calories of slightly flavored water and just have a nice refreshing glass of pure H20.

08-24-2009 02:26:42 | More by dpodratsky3
WickedSluggy

3.15/5  rDev +72.1%

I have had some of these sitting in the bottom shelf of a pantry since having a party. I have been doing renovations to my house for 9 months. The beer has to be at least that old - at room temperiture.

A - Virginia Slims style can, kind of cute. Pours very pale yellow, fizzy. Foam clings only to the edge of the glass forming a circle when you look down into it.

S - Cold, this beer has little smell. These beers are supposed to be consumed very cold. I don't want to smell it when it gets warm. We all know that smell.

T - The flavor is much more like carbonated water than beers I usually drink. But I think that is the point. This style is supposed to be "ultra" light. It's okay. I'm enjoying it. Nothing nasty. No off flavors. Must be the polysorbate-80 or something.

M - The beer actually has has some body, but not much. Again, I think that the style is intended to be this way.

D - Very drinkable. Good beer-bong fodder.

I drank this to find out weather the rest in my pantry are worth saving for my next party. No reason not to keep it.

08-22-2009 22:13:07 | More by WickedSluggy
OtherShoe2

1.65/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours a very very pale yellow with (a vigorous pour) foamy white head that was gone in an instant. No lace.

Aroma: Ha! I kinda smell something beer like, a bit like sniffing a cap, but nothing else.

Taste is mild boiled grain and light watery malt/bitterness. No aftertaste.

Decent carbonation, very light bodied.

It is a ver very hot humid day today, so it went down easy and fast, but this is not anything I'd sit and sip (or even cook with). Why buy this crap?

08-22-2009 21:22:25 | More by OtherShoe2
STEG

2.4/5  rDev +31.1%

If you could imagine boiling corn and rice in the same pot then straining it and adding sugary seltzer to the water the corn and rice boiled in you would come close to this. however this is an utlra light beer coming in at 95 calories and is useful when trying to loose weight. Like I have been doing for the past few months and it has paid off considerably and it is easy to drink. However, it doesn't taste like much of anything but is an alternative to drinking a high abv, high calorie beer when trying to work out and loose weight. This is the best ultra light beer I have had to date

08-22-2009 02:08:22 | More by STEG
goblue3509

1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours a see through yellow white color. The smell is of nothing, there is a hint of some type of grain. The taste is of nothing, but a barely there grain. The taste is watery, but at least not offensive. The mouthfeel is overly carbonated. Overall there is not much to this beer, it is pretty simple and weak all over, yet there is nothing offensive about it. It is really nothing to speak of.

07-30-2009 23:41:42 | More by goblue3509
Macca

Australia

2.17/5  rDev +18.6%

This pours the palest of straw colours. Almost devoid of colour. That doesn't bode well. Clear. Fluffy white head. Minimal retention.

There is a slight grainy aroma but that's it the smell went with the colour.

3 out of 3. No flavour either! Well done A-B. The brewers have obviously scene the Monty Python skit about American beer being like making love in a canoe and decided to make it true.

Perversely I have given this a very high drinkability rating because I think if I was after a beer to drink by the bucket until I was rotten drunk then this would be right up there. As it tastes of nothing it would be very hard to get sick of it.

07-02-2009 08:27:27 | More by Macca
youngleo

1.78/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured very light yellow in color. Had a white head that basicly diappeared in a few seconds. No lacing at all. After pouring you never even realized it had a head in the beginning. Smelled like nothing. Maybe some grain or corn, but really smelt like nothing. Tasted like a watered down Busch. Had that AB slight sweet flavor Very very light in the flavor area. Felt like water in the mouth. Maybe to much over carbonation. I guess I expected to much from Michelob. Wont drink again.

06-22-2009 18:28:23 | More by youngleo
dbmcrorie

Connecticut

2.73/5  rDev +49.2%

Presentation:
12 oz. brown long-neck twist-off bottle.
Born on date: 11FEB09 (Freshest Taste Within 110 Days).
Poured into an American pint glass.

Visual:
Pours pretty fizzy into an extremely pale gold body with a white head that-... wait. Where'd the head go?

Aroma:
Not much to say other than soft grains in the weak malt. No noticeable hop presence. A light crispness takes the nose at the end that is reminiscent of fresh crushed apples.

Taste:
Extremely light. Selzter/carbonated water flavors are followed up by light pale malts. Watered down grain in the end with a faint apple crispness. Fizzy, but not extremely effervescent. A smooth, almost watery mouthfeel matches the extreme lightness.

Overall:
This is definitely an extremely light beer. I'm not a huge fan of light beers in general, but I'm okay with this one. It makes for a great beer to just sip and not think about when chilling and talking with friends (at BBQ's, picnics, etc.).
The only reason I would give this beer lower ratings, is simply because I've tasted better beers - not because there is anything "wrong" or "bad" about Michelob Ultra. It is not complex, rich, or special in any way. It is just simple and light. It is as "drinkable" as it's leading competitors (Bud Light, Miller, etc.).
This style reminds me of a lighter Thai/Indian lager, and would probably be best paired with savory and spicier dishes such as curry, Indian and/or Thai cuisine.

Cheers!

06-20-2009 23:14:33 | More by dbmcrorie
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

1.6/5  rDev -12.6%

12 oz bottle poured into an American Tumbler. Born on 07April09

A - Possibly the lightest beer I've ever seen. Off-white yellow/light beige color that's extremely effervescent. The head is gone within seconds and doesn't even leave any sort of trail.

S - Nothing but disgusting adjunct aromas to this beer. Ugh.

T - Am I drinking carbonated beer-water? That's pretty bad but not so awful it deserves a full one. In the light beer category, in my opinion, it's not terribly offensive, just bad.

M - Probably the harshest carbonation bite of any beer I've ever had. Super light and slick.

D - The dump I took while writing this sentence [from notes] had 10x more character than this crappy beer. For the masses that want to "work out while drinking a beer" as their ads imply, its drinkable. For any self-respecting, beer-loving person, it's unacceptable. Poured out the rest after the review was done.

06-17-2009 01:08:58 | More by BeerFMAndy
packetknife

Idaho

1.02/5  rDev -44.3%

My wife and I do a lot of dog rescue, training, etc. and a number of times I've been exposed to unpleasant body fluids and solids in unpleasant ways. This was the same as the puppy mill pug that pissed up at me in a panic and got some in my mouth. I'm not kidding or exagerating, the memory was so vile and the taste so similar that I barely made it through a half-bottle.

The pour left no head and it had a very dilute apple juice appearance to it. There was minimal lacing at first but nothing on the way down the glass. The smell was faintly like water from a summer warmed hose. Nothing really discernible but really had a slight smell of rubber to it. The taste and mouthfeel were terrifyin and I doubt it would have been much better without my previously mentioned experience.

06-15-2009 17:13:08 | More by packetknife
drunkboxer1

1.7/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours pale, very thin white head. Utterly transparent. Smells of grain husks and corn. Why do I get corn on this thing? To be so thin on calories it could at least have the decency to smell like nothing. Taste's of air, with perhaps a hint of water. Where's that gross corn I smelled? I was kinda looking forward to some gross corn. It's slightly flat too. Good one?

06-15-2009 16:14:52 | More by drunkboxer1
civilizedpsycho

1.55/5  rDev -15.3%

Appearance: This is an extremely pale beer. It's clear and slightly golden, but not even as much as your typical Light Lager.

Smell: It has a somewhat sweet aroma to it, but there's really not much there.

Taste: Not very sweet, not very bitter. Quite frankly, it doesn't have much of anything at all.

Mouthfeel: It feels like carbonated water.

Drinkability: This is certainly something that should be avoided. If light beer is your thing, there are better ones out there.

I tried this beer because it happened to be the "Beer of the Month" at my regular bar. The waitress warned me that it was like water, but I tried it anyway and she was right. Simply put, I did not enjoy this beer and probably won't ever get it again.

06-11-2009 05:05:03 | More by civilizedpsycho
sliverX

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

1.85/5  rDev +1.1%

poured a headless yellow urine color with a soda like amount of carbonation
smelled very lightly of corn but bare existent
taste was like they soaked a corn biscuit in 5 gallons of water then bottled
mouthfeel was pretty much water
drinkability well the only time this is even close to drinkable is if you've been involved in some sort of sporting activity and are about dead tired...

06-10-2009 01:58:11 | More by sliverX
mrhiccups

Maryland

2.03/5  rDev +10.9%

Ew. With all the IPA's and Stouts I have had over the years, this tastes so bland! I poured this into my trusty drinking mug, and it looks tepid and bland. Bland yellow color, no head at all, and has no character to it whatsover. This beer is made for the ones who have to drive the drunkards home, because with even 3 of these, they will not get a buzz. This stuff has no character to it whatsover! Would rather drink 211, at least I know I will have something going on after a couple. Yuk....

06-09-2009 05:32:36 | More by mrhiccups
champ103

1.08/5  rDev -41%

A: Pours a transparent yellowish color. A ring of white foam forms as a pour excuse for a head. No lace.
S: Cooked veggies, skunk, sulfur, and copper.
T: Nothing, no sweetness, grain, no flavor at all. Just metallic carbonation.
M/D: Light as can be. Carbonated, but not overly so. I can't even finish a bottle.

What the hell am I drinking? My boss left this in my hotel fridge so I thought I would give it a spin. Note to self, don't drink left over beer from my boss ever again.

05-06-2009 13:17:48 | More by champ103
Bighead6365

1.43/5  rDev -21.9%

I ended up getting to try a bottle of this since my friends brother had an extra one left from a camping trip.

I'm not even going to give this a formal review. The first thing I could think of when I had the first sip of this was knock knock is any beer there? This has to be most watery tasting thing I have ever had. What is sad is light beers blow this thing out of the water in terms of what flavor is present. This is easily a chug and get drunk beer. If your drinking this and spending the outrageous price it costs to buy in stores, shame on you. Pick up a pack of Yuengling instead for God sakes.

I don't think this should be allowed to be called beer. It should be considered carbonated water with a bit of yellow color.

05-06-2009 01:40:21 | More by Bighead6365