Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
1.95/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance - A light yellow color that you can see through. The head faded quickly and there was almost no lacing left on the glass after I finished the beer. It looked like most other typical macro-brew beers like a Bud Light.

Smell - A faint lemon citrus smell over powered by a corn/metallic odor.

Taste - Lacking in taste. I really tried to pull the flavor out of it. There is a light lemon taste, emphasis on the light. A corny malty taste hits your tongue and fades quickly. For the most part it was like drinking carbonated water. The taste grew on me as I drank it but it was nothing impressive.

Mouthfeel - When I first drank the beer there was a lot of carbonation that impressed me at first but about 1/2 way down it was almost all gone and by the last few sips it was all gone. The taste leaves a bitter feeling in your mouth and not a good bitter feeling either. Its like drinking a bitter tonic water until the bubbles are gone and then its just a bitter water.

Drinkability - I agree with the other reviews that say, "the beer is drinkable but why bother?" and I disagree at the same time. This beer is light and doesn't kill you (4.20 ABV) so you can down it no problem but I did not find the experience all that enjoyable. My stomach rumbled when I finished it and I couldn't think how anyone could drink another unless they were already pretty wasted or had a huge beer belly

Serving type - Draft (on-tap)

Not the worst beer I've ever had but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

TheElusiveAlexT, Jun 28, 2010
1.6/5  rDev -12.6%

[story]So I went back home to Wheeling, WV for Father's Day. I had purchased some beers there and left them in the fridge to take home with me. This was in the fridge and my Mom though it belonged to me. So as kind of a gag Im reviewing it. [/story]

A- A rough pour into a Perfect Pint yields a small, fizzy stark white head that leaves in the blink of an eye. This is totally the most pale beer Ive ever seen. Its absurd. It looks like there was a light beer in partially drank in the glass then filled with water.

S- I cant smell anything. Its amazing in its lack of smell. Bravo Busch.

T- Boiled husks. Very corny. Well, the word very might be too strong to use to describe this beer. Its corny but even that is faint. Its sweet and adjunct forward.

M- Very dry. I was just thinking; Im surprised that people who drink these beers like a dry finish. I would think that its too much for them. I can see why Busch does make their beers dry. It makes one want to drink more of their product.

D- Its easy to drink but I dont really see why anyone would. It can hardly get you drunk, it has no real taste, no color, no smell, no purpose. I guess this is for people who need to have something in their hand while at the bar with their friends.

MbpBugeye, Jun 26, 2010
2.48/5  rDev +35.5%

From spending the night at my girlfriends, I found myself alone in the house today. I grabbed one of these just to actually try it.

A: Pours a pale straw color with bubbly white head that fades really fast. No lacing. Boring.

S: Corn, slight metallic smells.

T: Corn is the first taste on the taste buds right away. There are some other grains, but corn is dominant here.

M: I feel like I'm drinking a new Corn Soda from one of our favorite Brands! Not what I want in a beer.

D: I guess you could call this drinkable, but by no means would I ever want a session or pong game with it. I suppose if you were dieting and needed a session beer, it would do.

VolcomBrewer, Jun 22, 2010

Thanks to my girlfriend's Mom's English husband for the opportunity to try this brew. I've been wanting to for a long time. I hear it has only 64 calories, and is still WAY big on taste.

A - Wow. I don't know what to say. It doesn't look that good, but perhaps my judgment is off. After all, if I'm not mistaken, Sheryl Crow drinks this stuff. She knows her stuff, and so I must support this beverage. Unless I am wrong and she drinks a different low-calorie product, or has switched to Joose! Then I won't know what to do!

S - I can't smell anything, really. When I see the commercials though, usually the people are running very fast or performing strenuous exercise in a chic or cosmopolitan setting, so I guess that some sort of discernible aroma would be distracting, especially if you were jogging or riding bicycles with Lance Armstrong.

T - I am not sure how it tastes, but I am disappointed that I can't 'see the rockies turn blue' to tell me if my beer is cold. I am unable to discern temperatures without color-coded indicators. Also, I wonder: is this 'triple-hops-brewed'? Also, I wonder: what is hops?

M - I feel real normal when I am drinking this; I get scared and nervous when I make unfamiliar choices.

D - Normal people like this stuff. Plus, this is a really safe choice; they wouldn't spend that much on advertising if it wasn't one of the best beers.

ktrillionaire, Jun 18, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +112%

i think this is the PERFECT BEER-if you want to make a new york style egg cream! tried it at a bike race [tubs of it, FREE!] thought to myself, wow, this tastes like real seltzer-high carbonation, not too salty, not much flavor. went home, picked up some Fox's Ubet, 2% milk and a 6-pack. mixed them together and had the best egg cream since i was a kid.

I'm not sure if this is a positive review or a negative, but I keep it in the house all the time now.

pedalist1, Jun 11, 2010
1.68/5  rDev -8.2%

A: Very pale yellow, watery.

S: Smells like there is corn used in the brewing process, maybe some slight grain. Almost nothing else.

T: Corn taste also, can't get any sense of hops or malt really. It's pretty bad. Finishes dry and leaves no taste behind.

M: Water.

O: You can drink them all night if you can stomach it.

bundy462, Jun 02, 2010
1.93/5  rDev +5.5%

I got a 24 oz can of this ultra at 711. I have never had it before.

The appearance is rather poor. It has no head and it is a faint yellow color. The smell is that of burnt corn. The beer tastes like burnt corn also. It feels like soda water in the mouth. With that said it is easy to drink but I don't see the point since it tastes terrible.

Avoid this beer at all costs. It's really disgusting. And I have no idea why people buy it since it's not even cheap.

eschbach, May 29, 2010
2.25/5  rDev +23%

Drank at a cook out... Free Beer, so I'll try it

A: Cannot really rate since I drank it out of a bottle... So I'll go average, because I'm sure it looks like yellow beer.

S: Smells like sweet adjunct with a faint hoppiness. Faint smell overall though.

T: Not a lot here, malt, corn faint hops at the end. No after taste... I'm guessing you need to have a taste to have an after taste.

M: Sharp Crisp and light... Pretty carbonated

D: Very easy to drink, low ABV plus only 95 calories and low in carbs... But why.... my quest for a good light beer continues....

mralphabet, May 25, 2010
2.53/5  rDev +38.3%

12 oz bottle from the office refrigerator

A: I drink straight from the bottle. no comment

S: Nothing special, but not off-putting

T: Not bitter, a light wheat taste, but not much else than that

M: True to it's style, a very light feel.

D: Easy to drink, but not particularly interesting. Didn't really want to go back for a third, but I would drink it again.

I wasn't expecting a lot from this. Usually light beer is pretty bad. I was pleasantly surprised, but it left me unsatisfied. I like to end with a really good beer, so this is definitely a starter beer for me.

aelthwin, May 22, 2010
1.58/5  rDev -13.7%

A: Extremely pale yellow with almost no head and active carbonation.

S: Nothing. I can't detect a single thing.

T/M: Very thin corn malts (I'm stretching here) and a bit of cooked veggies, but overall it's like a mouthful of over-carbonated seltzer water. Maybe a better comparison would be one of those fruit flavored seltzer waters that you buy at the grocery store, but in this case it's beer-flavored.

D: I don't see what's so "Ultra" about this beer, considering it tastes worse than original Michelob. And original Michelob was already at the bottom of my list.

thekanna, May 20, 2010
1.2/5  rDev -34.4%

There is nothing to this beer at all. Someone could switch your drink with club soda and you wouldn't even know it if you were drinking this swill. It is clean and crisp tasting, but it's hard to screw up H2O. I had two of these and doubt I ever will again because really, there's just no point. I went from drinking Bud Light to drinking this and the BL seemed complex in comparison. It's THAT bland. It is easy to drink though, which is why I gave it a 2 for that, but only a 2 because it's not *fun* to drink.

cheesepuffs, May 10, 2010
2.45/5  rDev +33.9%

Pours a very pale straw yellow color with a small amount of fizzy white head, not really any lacing.

The scent was mostly of corn.

The taste was of corn, some biscuty malts and yeast.

Light bodied, incredibly thin, very crisp, low carbonation.

I have to say this was much better than I had anticipated. There is actually some flavor which I expected none. I doubt I will drink this ever again but I would take it over many other light lagers.

BeerCon5, May 06, 2010
2.8/5  rDev +53%

(a)-Pours a very pale yellow, reminiscent of Coors light. Little to no head, no lacing, dead. (2/5)

(s)-Corn, corn, and more corn. (2/5)

(t)-For anyone out there on a diet, this is definetly the best offering...but thats only because bud-select and bud-select 55 are its competition. Still, good enough to get down with dinner without running to the treadmill. (3/5)

(m)-Pretty flat, makes me think of tearing into that growler that had been sitting for 2 months...oops. (1.5/5)

(d)-Yeah. I gave it a 4,and heres why bitches. Try drinking another light beer in this calorie category AND THEN go pick it up again. I'll drink the 6 pack...but I'd rather let myself have 3 calorie packed delights. (4/5)

lbaker, May 06, 2010
3.05/5  rDev +66.7%

Michelob Ultra is a Light Beer made Anheuser-Busch. This is just an Average everyday Ultra Light Beer. The Color of the Beer is Light. The taste is light like water really no taste at all. But like I said before it is a Light beer. If you do not like light beers this is not for you. Would rather have a Michelob or Budweiser over this. Over a good Ultra Light beer.

nicholas2121, Apr 18, 2010
1.93/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into my evertrusty Zatec fluted glass. 2 fingers of head initially, died into nothing in less than 30 seconds. Smells of grass, and beer that was nicked from your dad when you were 14. Looks like pisswater. Tastes like watered down Budweiser mixed with skunk piss. Finish dissolves after less than 10 seconds. I would drink this with a hotdog at a party and not think twice about drinking 17 more. Why not just drink some Fiji?

WestValleyIPA, Apr 12, 2010
2.3/5  rDev +25.7%

What can I saw that hasn't already been said. I tried this beer to just try it. I wanted to go jogging, this stuff is water. I don't even understand why this is made. Sure it's low in carbs and everything, but it's all empty calories. It's not healthy for you, wake up. This beer is sold based on marketing alone.

kneeland, Apr 02, 2010
1.23/5  rDev -32.8%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into clear cup.

Appearance: Pale yellow with thin bubbly white head, which looks a little odd.

Smell: Mostly carbonation and candy, with a slight graininess. Does not smell like beer.

Taste: Very strange sweet grains, with a candy-like aftertaste.

Feel: Very high carbonation, watery body, very seltzer-like.

Drinkability: Tastes and feels like sweet seltzer water. On the plus side, I actually could finish it.

bsp77, Mar 30, 2010
2.75/5  rDev +50.3%

Pours a pale straw into a glass mug from a 12 oz. bottle. Shows a thin and fleeting head. Very low level of carbonation makes it settle and clear fast at 40 degrees.

Aroma of light corn and a bit of huskier grain. Bit of lemony sugar accompanies.

Light bready texture in consistency with a return of a spritzy lemon flavor. Reminds me in a way of lemon flavored seltzer. Thin and watery feel yet quite quaffable with no negative flavors. Surely better directly from the bottle removing the look and aroma from the equation where it's smooth and pleasant. Better than Coors Light by a long shot yet there's nothing really there either.

HalfFull, Mar 28, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +74.9%

Born on date Jan 20 10. I am not bothering to pour this brew in to a glass. No real scent. I am drinking this cold right out of the freezer on a 65 degree spring day. Its hitting the spot. Certainly has a watery mouthfeel. A small amount of cereal and rice flavors. Slighty sweet. Nothing to special here. Will I drink some more? Yea. Not bad stuff.

mtnbikerpa, Mar 21, 2010
1.73/5  rDev -5.5%

A - Very clear straw color with a smaller than average bubbly white head. Settles pretty fast with no lacing.

S - Pretty standard light lager/adjunct smell. Grainy, corny malt with not a lot else. Clean.

T - Also typical light lager/adjunct taste. Light grain sweetness with minimal hops.

M - Light and crisp, but a bit less carbonation than other beers of the style.

D - Easy to drink, but not a lot of taste. Exactly what most mass produced beers are like.

Notes: Not all that good, even when compared to other mass produced beers this doesn't stand out. Not really worth going after.

FreshHawk, Mar 15, 2010

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

Wasatch, Mar 14, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +110.4%

If I want a light refreshing beer it's going ot be an Ultra. It's simply the leat offensive of the light beers. Extremely light taste but very smooth with no bitterness. Nicely carbonated. These go down way easy and are refreshng when they are ice cold. Good summer beer when it's brutally hot out and you want to cool off. This beer has it's place.

Threelittlefish, Mar 10, 2010
1.6/5  rDev -12.6%

Serving Type: Bottle left in my fridge by my roommate's girlfriend after a party.

Appearance: As light a yellow as I have ever seen.

Smell: This beer actually manages to taste like nothing but still smell bad.

Taste: Water. I have drank water that has more taste than this beer and that is not a good thing.

Mouthfeel: Very average for the style which is to say it feels like seltzer water.

Drinkability: I could drink a case of these but why bother?

SUMMARY: WHY BOTHER? Just drink water.

jcm8756, Feb 28, 2010
3.18/5  rDev +73.8%

I like this one as a light overall beer. It's one I can just sit around and drink. The overall beer factor of this is it's not going to compare very well with beers on here. But it's a good light beer that's american made for the masses that you can put em down.

tykees88, Feb 27, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +137.7%

I like this beer. I can have it cold, I can have it warm (that's right!). And there's no "ick" taste to it. Maybe I got a good case? There's no "ick" factor when swallowing and I can drink it whether it's ice cold or it has been sitting out for an hour. This is a good beer with food or alone. The character is not there, the "colour" is not there, the "texture" is not there - but who cares? I don't! If it tastes good and I can have bottle after bottle without feeling gross or having a nasty aftertaste, it's a winner to me. Plus it's a light beer with low calories. I was appalled to see this had an F rating. Crap!

Michelob Ultra is one of my top beers officially. Thanks michelob!

LightEnthusiast, Feb 16, 2010