Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
civilizedpsycho

1.55/5  rDev -15.3%

Appearance: This is an extremely pale beer. It's clear and slightly golden, but not even as much as your typical Light Lager.

Smell: It has a somewhat sweet aroma to it, but there's really not much there.

Taste: Not very sweet, not very bitter. Quite frankly, it doesn't have much of anything at all.

Mouthfeel: It feels like carbonated water.

Drinkability: This is certainly something that should be avoided. If light beer is your thing, there are better ones out there.

I tried this beer because it happened to be the "Beer of the Month" at my regular bar. The waitress warned me that it was like water, but I tried it anyway and she was right. Simply put, I did not enjoy this beer and probably won't ever get it again.

06-11-2009 05:05:03 | More by civilizedpsycho
sliverX

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

1.85/5  rDev +1.1%

poured a headless yellow urine color with a soda like amount of carbonation
smelled very lightly of corn but bare existent
taste was like they soaked a corn biscuit in 5 gallons of water then bottled
mouthfeel was pretty much water
drinkability well the only time this is even close to drinkable is if you've been involved in some sort of sporting activity and are about dead tired...

06-10-2009 01:58:11 | More by sliverX
mrhiccups

Maryland

2.03/5  rDev +10.9%

Ew. With all the IPA's and Stouts I have had over the years, this tastes so bland! I poured this into my trusty drinking mug, and it looks tepid and bland. Bland yellow color, no head at all, and has no character to it whatsover. This beer is made for the ones who have to drive the drunkards home, because with even 3 of these, they will not get a buzz. This stuff has no character to it whatsover! Would rather drink 211, at least I know I will have something going on after a couple. Yuk....

06-09-2009 05:32:36 | More by mrhiccups
champ103

1.08/5  rDev -41%

A: Pours a transparent yellowish color. A ring of white foam forms as a pour excuse for a head. No lace.
S: Cooked veggies, skunk, sulfur, and copper.
T: Nothing, no sweetness, grain, no flavor at all. Just metallic carbonation.
M/D: Light as can be. Carbonated, but not overly so. I can't even finish a bottle.

What the hell am I drinking? My boss left this in my hotel fridge so I thought I would give it a spin. Note to self, don't drink left over beer from my boss ever again.

05-06-2009 13:17:48 | More by champ103
Bighead6365

1.43/5  rDev -21.9%

I ended up getting to try a bottle of this since my friends brother had an extra one left from a camping trip.

I'm not even going to give this a formal review. The first thing I could think of when I had the first sip of this was knock knock is any beer there? This has to be most watery tasting thing I have ever had. What is sad is light beers blow this thing out of the water in terms of what flavor is present. This is easily a chug and get drunk beer. If your drinking this and spending the outrageous price it costs to buy in stores, shame on you. Pick up a pack of Yuengling instead for God sakes.

I don't think this should be allowed to be called beer. It should be considered carbonated water with a bit of yellow color.

05-06-2009 01:40:21 | More by Bighead6365
bort11

1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

My Dad is a notorious cheap ass. He like to be referred to as a "Cheap Bastard". This was his offering for Easter.

12 oz bottle, poured intoa pint glass. No head, despite the fizzyness. Thin watery looking lace sits on the surface, nothing on the glass. Color looks like well hydrated urine. Pale, pale yellow. I can read what I just typed through this it's so clear.

Smell has a harsh husky grain aroma. Taste is boiled vegetables, dry corn and some hay characteristics.

Mouthfeel is lighter than water some how. The carbonation is super-charged and gritty.

04-12-2009 21:40:16 | More by bort11
biggred1

Indiana

1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

Pale, almost clear yellow with a slight skim of foam around the edges. Smells very faintly of creamed corn and nothing else. This beverage takes flavorless to new levels. Very similar to sparkling water. Watered down grain and faint artificial sweetness. Very light effervescent mouthfeel, finishes squeaky clean. My buddy left a few of these in the fridge and I just couldn't resist. I think this beer is for those that want a diet beer without all that "beer flavor" getting in the way.

04-08-2009 02:33:10 | More by biggred1
mempath

1.63/5  rDev -10.9%

pours a soapy albino/straw color...smells like water with a some beer spilled into it...taste is not bad...just isn't there...maybe a hint of cereal grains...what mouthfeel?

water is drinkable, too, but i can't say that as a beer this is drinkable. just because it isn't overtly offensive, it is in another sense. i guess technically and by law, this can be labeled as a 'beer'....

if anything, should've kept these in the ole lil 10 oz. cans...

it's hip. not hoppy.

it's another case of The Emperor's New Clothes. where? where?

at least this makes anything from their 'craft' series taste 'great'....but of course that's conditional as it gets!

04-06-2009 21:50:15 | More by mempath
donkeyrunner

1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

I was curious...

Albino pale straw color with a fizzy white head that quickly does a dissapearing act. Giant bubbles.

Smells of sugary macro eh and sparkly cider.

Tastes like watered down apple juice. Not just weird but creepy drying aftertaste. I cannot stress the creepyness enough. Kinda refreshing though...but still really creepy.

As a runner, weightlifter, and beer drinker I am the target market for this stuff and you couldn't pay me to drink it. So who's buying this crap?

04-01-2009 23:35:31 | More by donkeyrunner
aval89

1.1/5  rDev -39.9%

Poured a very light golden color with a very little head that quickly disappeared. This was probably the lightest beer i've seen in a while. The smell was very little. I managed to get a bit of a grain smell with just a quick hint that it was a beer. Tasted a bit grainy with a light metallic taste. Mouthfull was very carbonated that left a dry finish. In my opinion this ultra light has very characteristics. Only beer I found in my sisters fridge, so i thought i'd give it a taste.

03-30-2009 10:43:15 | More by aval89
Kromes

Georgia

2.28/5  rDev +24.6%

Pours a very very pale straw watery color. Decent carbonation and no head. Smells like pee, with a little bit of sweet malt. Taste is not as bad as some other mainstream beers. It is somewhat sweet and that's about it, no real flavors that stand out, kind of malty, but maybe its more rice flavored. Of course if you add lots of lime juice and a little vodka it can be a decent mixed drink, good while mowing the lawn, but I would prefer something else.

03-29-2009 22:33:58 | More by Kromes
Kopp

1.43/5  rDev -21.9%

I'm being kind with this review - This ranks as one of the worst beers I've ever had. I was at a party enjoying myself and reached for another cold one. Following drinking Michelob Ultra, I did not want to drink another beer.

A: pale gold color, nothing remarkable

S: corn and grain smell that isn't strong or impressive

T: watery taste, bland corn flavor

M: extremely carbonated

D: not if I had a choice

Overall: It was an unremarkable, bland beer that did not bring much flavor - Low ABV, carbonated watery taste, and there are better light beers out there. As someone else said, drinking it seemed to ask the question "what's the point"

03-20-2009 20:53:36 | More by Kopp
Brad007

Vermont

1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours a pale gold color with a thin one-finger head and lots of carbonation.

Aroma is full of corn/rice, grain and not much else. Seems rather bland. A bit sweet as well.

Taste is watery, thin and full of corn/rice. Not much else there for flavor.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering corn/rice flavors. Tongue dries up afterwards and not much to actually savor.

Trash. Good if you want to count calories but why buy something as cheap as this when you can settle for a pint of Guinness every now and then? There are plenty of beers that are light in alcohol and full of flavor. Avoid this crap.

03-13-2009 23:23:15 | More by Brad007
AdmiralDiaz

2.08/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours the most pale straw color I've ever seen. It's almost greenish. The head is small and short lived. Can't get much worse than this...I hope.

S: Almost scentless. All I can pick up is stale corn with no hint of hop or malt.

T: Weak corn on-top of water that may contain a hop pellet/barrel there's almost not maltiness to be found. Although this lacks a lot of flavor I don't find it awful at all, rather just a large lack of pleasantness.

Overall: Carbonation is standard for the style. As for drinkability, since I didn't find the taste horrible I can't put the drinkability very far down seeing as how drinking a case of this may be possible in an hour or two. If you care about calories more than flavor go for it.

03-11-2009 00:33:34 | More by AdmiralDiaz
woodske1

2.7/5  rDev +47.5%

I am kinda surprised by the overall F here. It is nowhere near as bad as Busch, Coors Light and Natty light and it is MUCH better. It actually tastes like it has some malt and hops in it.

Not much, but some. In my opinion it is one of the better mass prodcued beers.

03-03-2009 16:11:29 | More by woodske1
unclejimbay

2.35/5  rDev +28.4%

Michelob Ultra
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
Style: Light Lager
ABV: 4.20 %

Reviewed @ home 11/12/08, bottle>dimpled mug
Reviewed according to style, I refuse to slam BMC products out of style context!

A 3.0, very very light pale straw in color, poured to a clean nice 2 finger head - gone quick, reduced to an okay collar - wow this is a surprise.
S 1.5 - very faint malt/grain smell, faint hints on hops - but faint indeed
T 3.0, not bad, just not good - because not much taste at all.
MF 1.5 - very very thin. Watery. High carbo.
D - 2.0 - I guess it's "good" if you like this sorta thing for light beer. But it's shy on taste, mouthfeel and ABV - so it's leaves thinking - what's the point?

02-28-2009 23:21:31 | More by unclejimbay
OzarkElmo

1.83/5  rDev 0%

Drank Dec. 27. From bottle into shaker glass. Very little color, very little flavor. Looked at the last sip or two and wondered if it was water or beer waiting for me. Low carb, low everything. Overpriced in the premium beer market. Almost as bad as Bud Light. I prefer Miller Lite over this anyday. Bad beer, and does not deserve the Michelob name attached to it.

02-16-2009 21:49:17 | More by OzarkElmo
DoctorDog

2.2/5  rDev +20.2%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass. The wife bought this for herself, but for some reason, I can't resist trying and reviewing.

A- Pours incredibly clear....almost no color, save a mild golden hue. Huge pure white head, which fades rapidly to but a thin cap.

S- Bizarre. Slightly metallic, with a hint of crisp corn juice.

T- Almost nothing. Like water with a slight twist of lemon added. No sweetness and no bitterness. I'm actually amazed that there is alcohol in this at all. That being said, I don't think the "1" is appropriate here; this isn't awful flavor, it just simply isn't flavor at all, which is something distinctly different from "awful." Of course, there isn't anything "good" here either...

M- Crisp like a drink of cold water. As easy going down as one would expect water to be.

D- Well, this is hard to quantify. There is nothing good about the taste or smell other than that they aren't offensive...this is a "get drunk low-cal style" only beer.

Future outlook: Nah...not unless I'm looking to turn back the clock to college times and get drunk on alcoholic water.

01-31-2009 06:06:36 | More by DoctorDog
jdense

Oregon

My Tuesday night drinking partner's libation of choice. On a dare (and trying to give my taste buds a break from Terminal Gravity IPA) I decided to try one bottle. In the end, I came up with a rather astute observation for my buddy: Why bother??

I understand carb and calorie counting, but I'd rather become a Belgian Monk :) then to drink this god-awful swill. The anti-beer for any self-respecting BA. Ugh.

01-30-2009 05:56:40 | More by jdense
Nascartailgatefa

2.33/5  rDev +27.3%

A drinkable beer who's major advantage is a low carbohydrate count. Will not fill you up no matter how much you drink. It is average in almost every category for its type(appearance, smell, taste.) Better than many lite beers but not overly impressive. Head does not last. It is best drank ice cold on a hot summer day.

01-29-2009 21:44:47 | More by Nascartailgatefa
Rhynes2

1.65/5  rDev -9.8%

I don't think I hate this brew as much as the rest of you. It's not at the top of my list but could be worse. Color and appearance is pretty average for the style. Flavor is where you can start the bitching. I think someone before me said it is kinda like a ginger ale. I can taste that now that i think about it. Nothing too special here just a below average brew.

01-25-2009 17:45:49 | More by Rhynes2
KBoudreau66

1.85/5  rDev +1.1%

I'm a type 1 diabetic so I drink a lot of Mich Ultra because I can avoid taking insulin because of the minimal amounts of carbohydrates, but I'll be the first to admit that it's awful. It tastes like water and you can drink about six of them before you even notice that you were drinking a beer. I don't think that it's really worth rating properly, but here goes:

Pours light yellow, extremely carbonated, with a frothy white head that dissipates quickly.

There's really not much smell to speak of because nothing really stands out. If I had to guess I would say that its a combination of copper like metal and corn adjunct.

Tastes of carbonated water with hints of beer in it. Nothing really stands out in particular aside from a lot of carbonation.

This is another one of those beers that is nice to have on a hot summer day when it's ice cold. I drink it often because it prevents me from having to keep going to the bathroom to take shots, which can be embarrassing if I'm trying to socialize. When I'm by myself at my house I would never.

01-24-2009 00:22:43 | More by KBoudreau66
MillRat

1.83/5  rDev 0%

Appeared more like ginger ale than beer. Faintly yellow with a coarse white head that dropped out of contention faster than the 2008 Detroit Lions. Bumped it up from a dead-last 1.0 to a 1.5 because it was slightly amusing to watch head on a "beer" drop faster than it seemed gravity itself could pull it down.

Not a hint of hops aroma, and even the corn character was barely noticable. Flavor was one with the aroma, more noticeable for what was not there than what was, left a slightly dry, alcoholic aftertaste with an astringent bitter edge to it. I suppose this stuff is really quite drinkable because there's so little to it, and as long as it is ice-cold your taste buds will stay numb. If it's warm, toss it back like a grenade that lands in your foxhole with the pin out, or fall on it to save your friends.

12-28-2008 18:04:40 | More by MillRat
Tone

2.1/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a clear, pale yellow with slight head and absolutely no retention. Also, of course, there's no lacing. Smells of what you would expect - adjunct in a lager. I guess it fits this great style. Smooth and crisp is the best I can say about this beer. Tastes, bland (watered down), mostly adjunct in lager. Overall, not very good at all.

12-17-2008 20:46:20 | More by Tone
hwwty4

1.3/5  rDev -29%

I have to thank (or curse) my wife's friend Jenny for leaving this at my house. God knows that's the only way I would get to review it.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours the most translucent shad of yellow I have ever seen pour out of a beer bottle. It really looks like yellow, bubbly water. The only thing that I can give it credit for is the fact that the pour produced a huge, 3 finger white head. When looked down from the top of the glass, it really looks like a pretty beer. The smell is really watery with just a hint of corn. The taste is, well, canned corn water. The mouthfeel is non-existent. Just like water. If you like drinking water, stick with the tap, if you like drinking beer, move on to something else. Either way, avoid this beer.

12-08-2008 20:38:34 | More by hwwty4