Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
View: Beers (79) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
daledeee

Iowa

1.73/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Bought this because I went to ANOTHER restuarant that doesn't think people that like beer go there.

Pouring this is boring. Don't waste your time. Drink it out of the bottle.

Taste is sweet.

Some carbonation. Almost unnatural.

Easy to drink. I really don't have much else to say. It was cold. It wasn't spoiled.

02-23-2008 15:17:28 | More by daledeee
bluejacket74

2.5/5  rDev +36.6%

12 ounce bottle, "born on date" of 1/3/08. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a very pale clear yellow color with a half inch white head. Head retention is low, lacing is OK. Aroma is corn, grain, and a little bit of sweet malt. It tastes the same as it smells, sweet and grainy. No offensive aromas or flavors. Mouthfeel/body is light, it has a lot of carbonation and it's watery. Drinkability is average, it isn't hard to drink and it goes down almost as easy as water does. I could down a few of these on a hot day. It's not what I'd call a good beer, but it's not horrible either. For the style it's not bad.

02-10-2008 02:13:28 | More by bluejacket74
JDV

2.17/5  rDev +18.6%

Extremely light yellow color beer. Almost like water with lemon juice squirted in it... Very short lived head. An extremely subtle grain smell, and taste is one of the lightest of any beer I've ever had. Not bad tasting, but closer to water than beer as far as the taste. Still, I'd rather drink this over some other beers, actually.

02-02-2008 23:06:17 | More by JDV
Natural510

2.08/5  rDev +13.7%

Beer-flavored soda.
Other than a fizzy carbonation/head there is no appearance to speak of...very pale & light.
The only flavor is a light barley...thankfully it's not too sweet. Very crisp finish however, and its main intent seems to be as a thirst-quencher.
For the quenching aspect it works, and it's not the worst macro I've tasted (in terms of offending the palate), but there really is no flavor to mention, and I won't be rushing out to purchase this anytime soon.

01-31-2008 06:34:05 | More by Natural510
AshevilleSippin

Quick Version:
Ultra light and flavorless. No skunkiness. For people who don't like beer.

Details:
I think it's important when rating this 'beer' to at least try to keep in mind the context of the audience AB is trying to reach.

This product is really for designated drivers and people who don't like beer but want to look fashionable holding a brown beer bottle in various social settings.

Let's face it, people don't drink it to get a buzz and they certainly don't drink it for the beer flavor.

In this context they hit it out of the park. It's pretty much an A+. Fancy looking bottle, low calorie, no flavor, no buzz. Good for business too because they sell it by the boxcar load and don't have to really put any ingredients in it other than water, carbonation, and a smidgeon of yellow food coloring. What a business model!

Now, from the perspective of someone who doesn't fit into this category of beer drinker, I'd feel a bit ripped off if I didn't already know what I was getting into (actually left over from my mom's last visit).

I know now why the call it "ultra". It stands for ultra-pale, ultra-aromaless, and ultra-flavorless. I also know why they advertise so heavily in Runners World and sponsor a series of running races across America. They could literally hydrate marathoners at every mile marker with it.

It poured clean and crisp for sure. Lots of snow white foamy bubbles. About a 1/2" or so that faded to flat before the bottle hit the table. Bubbles were perky throughout the rest of the review.

Color is ultra pale, almost transparent, yellow. Very much like a well hydrated person's urine. Bubbly carbonation is a bit refreshing.
No hop aroma. Closest thing I could come up with to describe it is a faint dishwater lemon/lime smell. Like a lemon Palmolive maybe.

Wateriest, least flavorful beer I've ever tasted.
Lack of skunk flavor and smell was a plus (which we all know is pretty much expected in this genre) and gave it a boost in my ratings. Feeble finish. Maybe a non-salty pretzel aftertaste with some carbide drillbit shavings in it. Definitely taste a little metal.

p.s. Where's the malt? Is there ANY in here?

I'd tank this beer lower if I didn't see it for what it is. In its own right it's what it needs to be. However, I just can't look myself in the mirror and give this dog anything higher than a D...

01-22-2008 04:20:29 | More by AshevilleSippin
smcolw

1.25/5  rDev -31.7%

This beer pours a straw yellow color and is clear enough to read through; decent white head with some lasting power; little lace. An attractive pour.

The smell is thin. It's obvious that this beer uses a lot of adjuncts. I cannot discern any hop and the "malt" aroma is not from barley.

The only flavor notes of any value is the spiciness that is created more from over-carbonation than from any taste source. There is NO aftertaste. This is the thinnest beer I've ever had.

I'm not sure what is ultra about this beer other than the lack of taste and body. I suggest you save yourself and have water instead; it's cheaper with less calories.

01-20-2008 14:14:15 | More by smcolw
clayrock81

2.5/5  rDev +36.6%

A lot of people are going to think I am crazy, but I like this beer. A part of the reason is that I am straddling the line between beer geek (in training) and weight lifter (not huge yet). So having this at social gatherings at bars is almost necessary for me. If I wanted just to lose weight, I probably wouldn't drink this as there are much better light beers. Now, it is a very light, watery gold draft w/ a quickly dieing head that greets me (the barwecnch didn't even bother tilting the glass, but why bother with this beer). But I find that it has a nice, smooth but crisp body w/ the adjuncts making a nice taste (smell this and you are going to pick up water and corn). Since it is very low in calories and carbs and alcohol, this is redrinkable. In fact, you might have to drink many of them to catch a buzz.

01-15-2008 19:42:40 | More by clayrock81
auxiliary

Rhode Island

2.03/5  rDev +10.9%

appearance - Yellow straw color, little bit of lace, if none at all.

smell - Corn and grain smells here like a Macro brew.

taste - Watery, taste of grains and corns are about it.

mouthfeel - Light body, watery.

drinkability - Not a good beer at all, very watery. This is a light beer, didn't know that until I saw BA label it as that. Had this when I went to eat, decided to get something I normally don't.

01-09-2008 13:57:01 | More by auxiliary
Overlord

1.55/5  rDev -15.3%

How have I never reviewed this abomination?

Pours a very pale yellow. Big white head. Super carbonated (like club soda).

Flavor? Smell? A Michelob Ultra craves not these things. Maybe a hint of skunky malt ... if that. Nothing of note.

Enjoy your bubbly, watery "beer", peasant.

01-07-2008 08:58:44 | More by Overlord
skeetermoses

Oklahoma

1.63/5  rDev -10.9%

All in all this one tastes like a diet beer, very watered down, and yes I am aware of the purpose of a 3.2 state describing a weak tasting beer. It reallly tastes watered down. Really watered down, the only saving grace on this one is the fact that the only option they have is an amber.

12-31-2007 08:38:52 | More by skeetermoses
n0315

1.3/5  rDev -29%

Very poor. Very very very poor. Has this in a pitcher via tap and all I can say is that I think it was water, not beer. Thats what I get for trying something new.

Little head or retention for that part. The only thing I can same about this is that it did feel crisp, thats why I gave a 2 for mouthfeel. Not bitter, but then again not much of anything. This is as light as it gets. For someone that wants to drink beer with their friends but is watching their weight, and does not not beer much anyways, this is the beer for you. light as it gets. Nothing more, nothing less. Gives you bloatedness while tasting like water.

12-29-2007 04:56:35 | More by n0315
erosier

Connecticut

1.93/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer is for the weak stomached, or if you're trying to see how many you can drink. It pours a pale golden yellow with a short white head. It doesn't have much of a smell except that stale beer smell - light hops and malts watered down to almost nothing. The taste is the same as well. It tastes watered down with some light hops and light malts in there to get the most out of the beer. I'd give it a decent rating on the drinkablility because it is closer to water than to most beer.

12-17-2007 11:49:17 | More by erosier
mogul37

1.2/5  rDev -34.4%

The worst. This is the only beer I feel comfortable ranting about. For people who drink it, I understand what you're looking for, and my advice is this: Take a shot of cheap vodka, chug a glass of water and do some jumping jacks instead. Aside from the 1's, I gave it a 2 for drinkability because I would be comfortable chugging this if offered one, that way I could immediately order something different. This is just my opinion, and it's OK if this is your beer, but I would suggest Mic Light instead.

12-17-2007 04:44:33 | More by mogul37
assmasterson

Missouri

1.48/5  rDev -19.1%

Was at a graduation party last year for a neighbor and this was the beer one of the hosts brought back with him. It's taken me this long to review it because, honestly, I forgot I even had it because it was so unmemorable.

The smell is almost non-existent and the taste is so thin that you would almost swear you're drinking iron-filled water. I swear, Bud Light is hoppier than this. You can barely tell that it is a beer, by which there is no feel of alcohol whatsoever. The only reason the taste did not get a 1 is because it is not as horrific as Michelob Light.

The drinkability is moderate just because it is so weak, you can knock a few of these back like bottles of water. You will probably get the same buzz, as well.

Honestly, what is the point? This beer was probably created so businessmen could drink during their lunch break and leave no smell of alcohol.

Leave it.

12-06-2007 01:27:16 | More by assmasterson
LittleCreature

Australia

1.6/5  rDev -12.6%

Appearance - 2.5
Poured two fingers of white head that rapidly reduced to almost nothing. Colour is a very pale straw, looks to be highly carbonated. Looks sort of like champagne?

Smell - 2.0
There was a surprising fruit (banana?) smell upon opening, which I find very hard to explain. Quite clean, smells as much like cheap white wine as it does like beer.

Taste - 1.5
Somewhat refreshing, but very little in the way of flavour. There is nothing all that nasty here, but just to call the flavour boring would actually be a compliment. There is an interesting banana lolly like fruitiness, along with dry, grain husk flavour. Some sweetness with no resemblance to malt, perhaps a whisper of bitterness.

Mouthfeel - 1.0
Just plain wrong. I don't really know what it is, but I do not feel like I am drinking beer, more like disprin in water. Sharp, stinging carbonation upfront, but watery right afterwards. Extremely light in the mouth.

Drinkability - 1.5
I've drank one before, but this was truly hard to get down.

OVERALL
The first time I drank one was from a bottle after a four hour drive on a hot day, and I found it to be light and refreshing. Now I see it for what it is - a truly crap beer, cheap but still poor value. Admittedly there are no off smells or tastes, but frankly there are almost no smells or tastes at all. My girlfriend suggested adding a slice of lemon, and I agree with her - it needs something. Or better still, buy a good beer instead!

12-05-2007 09:31:23 | More by LittleCreature
Georgiabeer

Georgia

1.85/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours an extremely pale golden with a bright white head that fades immediately to almost nothing. Smell is lightly sour and vaguely citrusy and grainy- sorta like a poor quality Orangina knock-off that's been watered down. There is an underlying cereal sweetness. The taste is unbelievably light, an initial graininess and then....nothing. It just fades off in a burst of effervescence that tastes vaguely of slightly sweetened club soda. That being said, as weak as this is, I prefer its inoffensiveness to the cooked corn taste to so many other American macro lagers. This one is barely a beer, but I could see sucking one down while mowing the yard- but only if I were out of water.

11-27-2007 23:21:23 | More by Georgiabeer
dacrza1

2.1/5  rDev +14.8%

Another "fun" reviewer... to say I am "sessioning" this is to say one is taste-testing a chicken nugget...sad when a beer's advertisiements actually DO approximate what to expect from the taste...sparkling translucent effervescent yellow body with a hint of head--champagne from a distance...light hints of bread and dough, classic cereal....a bit of chemical cleanliness? Light watery body that bubbles around the tongue--fleeting in presence...the beechwood aging appellationwould best apply here...refreshing is the commercial (and euphemistic) word for anything this "ultra"...no surprises: a beer that somehow manages a measly amount of carbs and sacrifices a ton of character possibilities for a chance to be consumed in mass quantities by club-hopping hipsters (or so notes the commercials)...and I'm strangely okay with that, from this distance...then again, I like chicken nuggets...

11-24-2007 15:34:33 | More by dacrza1
EPseja

2.28/5  rDev +24.6%

Cracked this one open, looking for a refreshing beer.

Served from a 12oz. bottle in my SABL glass as just under fridge temperature.

A - Lighter than pale yellow with a quick pop of head that dimishes to a thin film in moments. Decent carbonation action in the glass. Very sporadic lacing.

S - Bright, adjuncty sweetness with a vague hint of alcohol. Woo.

T - Miscellaneous grain sweetness and corn. That's about it. No hops to speak of other than a very light tinge of bitterness in the back. Underwhelming.

M - Watery going in, and puffing for a moment before turning flat. Swallow is not unlike water.

D - Well, if you're looking for something that makes it seem as if you're drinking beer without all of the malt and hops getting in the way, then this is your beer. Refreshing, but only as much as a nice glass of water would be. Above average drinkability for the style, thanks to the merciful lack of taste.

11-04-2007 21:05:58 | More by EPseja
meechum

Georgia

2.7/5  rDev +47.5%

I've had this numerous times and just now getting to reviewing it. Pours a decent amber color with little to no head and practically no lacing. Really has no smell to it at all. The taste is ok when nice and cold but as it warms up, like most macros it begins to suffer. Overall it's an average to below average beer but certainly not the worst I've ever had

11-02-2007 01:37:07 | More by meechum
metallistout

1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

Pour- What in the hell is going on! NO HEAD at all! Little carbonation bubbles, like I poured yellow 7up.

Smell- Has a feint smell of Bud Light. Nothing to the nose really at all.

Taste- Rice,corn uh-nothing else

Mouthfeel- A joke, I think I just drank water.

Drinkability- Low carb? Come on! Is this what we've reduced ourselves to. Macro-Beer was already reduced down in flavor and calories a hundred times before this drink came around. America Macros supposedly made good beer before WW2 and then they marketed after the women, so what does that tell you?(No offense to any women on this site that like good beer)

10-28-2007 05:00:53 | More by metallistout
Amalak

1.38/5  rDev -24.6%

A: Very clear, honestly, it truly is just slightly colored water (piss actually). Decent initial head, but dissipates quickly, no lace.

S: Just that horrible American Macro Lager skunky kind of smell.

T: There is nothing there. It is "tangy" for lack of a better word, but the taste leaves quickly.

M: Nothing. Leaves quickly.

D: It is somewhat refreshing considering that it is flavored seltzer.

I tried it because one of my friends had it in her fridge and I wanted to rate it for myself. To be honest, the low score is not because it tastes bad. It doesn't. It is just not beer and doesn't deserve credit just because it tastes like seltzer as opposed to a bad tasting beer, that tried to make an interesting taste.

10-21-2007 03:30:46 | More by Amalak
JamesS

Indiana

1.85/5  rDev +1.1%

Mich Ultra has an average look, very pale straw coloring with some carbonation. Almost no head and little lacing. It has almost no scent to it and very little taste. It's very bland. It goes down easily, but only because it's nearly water. It would be all right for quenching your thirst after mowing your lawn, but so would a cool glass of H2O.

10-21-2007 03:00:46 | More by JamesS
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.03/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very pale yellow color with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is sweet and full of corn and grain with some light malts.

T: There’s not very much to the taste at all, some grain, corn and macro adjunct sweetness. The malt character is very thin and there’s almost no hops presence. The after-taste is bready and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and a little crisp, light body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, clean finish.

D: Not very tasty because there’s simply a lack of any flavor, goes down easy for the same reason, not filling at all, even among macros there isn’t much that would make me pick this beer. The fact that it’s so light seems to be the only thing that it has going for it.

10-11-2007 01:34:43 | More by TheManiacalOne
iceball585

1.5/5  rDev -18%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Very pale yellow, clear, almost no head at all

S- Pale hops, skunky, almost metallic smell

T- Lemons, pale hops, water

M- Light feel, heavy carbonation, watery finish

D- Unless it's cheap, then don't buy it

Really doesn't have much to offer for a beer lover. If you like pale, flavorless beers and you care about carbs then this one it right up your alley.

09-21-2007 23:20:27 | More by iceball585
BamaWorKs

Kentucky

2.45/5  rDev +33.9%

Oddly enough, I think a number of BA's out there lose sight of what a beer is intended to do. It seems like BAs come in to reviewing this beer thinking that A~B wanted to make a beer with tons of flavor to stand up to the best Belgian or strong Ale, which just isn't the case.

When reviewing this beer, I will give it a 1.0 for Appearance, because it was like... neon green... almost like bud light with a highlighter broken into it. But smell wasn't 'awful' like 1.0 says, it was like... nothing noteworthy. Tasty wasn't 'awful' because it really has little to no flavor. Kind of nondescript, so I couldn't 1.0 it. Mouthfeel is bubbly, like Sprite. But one must consider drinkability. I mean I could drink a whole case of this and not feel too weighted down. So theoretically a high rating should be applied here.

But AB was trying to make a Low-Carb beer, and they achieved this goal. They didn't attempt at flavor or complex nature. Remember that when reviewing this beer. Because I love tons of quality brews, but since I'm a fitness addict, during the week when I want a brew, I don't need something with a Metric ton of calories. But something tells me a large percentage of the people truly bashing this beer for its caloric content, etc. have guts hanging over their beltlines... just a thought.

09-16-2007 14:36:45 | More by BamaWorKs