Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
2.48/5  rDev +34.8%

Poured into a pilsner glass.

A - Light yellow in color, with a slight amount of foam that settles quickly.

S - Nothing of note. Can barely smell anything that resembles beer.

T - Its refreshing, so I'll give it that much. But if you are looking for flavor you won't find any.

M - Okay. Not sure what to say here. There is some carbonation. But essentially its bland.

D - Yeah it is drinkable. But why would you have a bunch of these? I'll take one good craft beer over a few of these anytime.

socon67, Sep 25, 2010
1.58/5  rDev -14.1%

found this little gem in the back of my fridge, figured it was worth a review so here goes.

poured from a 12oz bottle out of the fridge into a pint glass. pours a super clear piss yellow. looks like my pee after a long night of drinking. 2 fingers of head that literally disappeared within seconds.

a tiny bit of bannana like lager funk, but nothing like a hefe or anything, and a little skunky. thats about it.

tastes of carbonated water and a touch of lager funk, thats about it.

super light watery feel, way too much carbonation.

drinkability is all this beer has. its easy to drink if you dont mind the total lack of taste. tastes of water, and is about as easy to drink as water. actually, water is easier to drink.

as far as light lagers go, there are much better choices out there. as my grandfather liked his beer, a raw egg or some salt would make this beer better. i think flying dog said it best, good people drink good beer, and this is far from good beer...

dogfishandi, Sep 24, 2010
1.4/5  rDev -23.9%

consumed 03-30-2009, 12oz bottle into pint glass.

appearance: poured a very light golden color with a little head that quickly dissipated. This was probably the lightest beer i've seen in a while.

smell: there was very little aroma. I managed to get a bit of a grain smell with just a quick hint that it was a beer.

taste: a bit grainy with a slight metallic taste.

mouthfull: very carbonated that left a dry finish. In my opinion this ultra light has very characteristics.

drinkability: the beers best quality, if you can drink water you can drink this beer.

uhhhaaron, Aug 18, 2010
1.9/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: I couldn't give this appearance a 1.0, because there almost is no appearance. There are lots of bubbles, no head, and only the palest *hint* of yellow amidst this clear concotion. I am not exaggerating, when pouring from the bottle, it was crystal clear, gaining its ghostly hue only in the glass.

S: Again, there is virtually no smell, except for a really out-of-place bubblegum(?!) scent. Not unpleasant; just absent.

T: Lots of carbonation, a hint of sourness, and then nothing. Honestly, you might as well be drinking seltzer water. If your water just must have alcohol content, then try adding a splash of vodka. Honestly, I've tried it, and it's more interesting than this beer. Still, I just can't justify an "Awful" rating for something that barely exist. Wow. Where do the 95 calories in this beer come from?

M: Watery, with a dose of carbonation. Not impressive. Not good.

D: I was obliged to score this one highly, because this is almost as drinkable as beer gets...very easy to swig and swallow. Still, I don't *want* to drink it. This beer is worth a try, just to marvel at its accomplished nothingness. Not recommended.

AgentMunky, Aug 18, 2010
1.78/5  rDev -3.3%

Served from tap into a Magic Hat shaker. Pours golden yellow with a minimal amount of white head. There was no lacing evident at all on this one. The aroma was comprised of malt and a nutty note. The flavor was of malt, wheat, nutty, and water. It was light on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this brew was just blah... Short reply would be to say that this one sucks, unless of course you are trying to sober up (which I was).

thagr81us, Aug 17, 2010
1.38/5  rDev -25%

Are you kidding me?? I refuse to give this "beer product" a proper review. Refuse to give it the dignity. So here's my review.
It made me puke. Literally. I chucked after like 3 or 4.
Looks like some type of beer and tastes like a "beer product" of some sort.
It's carbonated and had a head for a few seconds. No lacing to speak of.
What the heck kind or stuff are we making here in the USA??? Sell all out for a few less calories?? That's the only possible reason they make this real swill. For idiots who think drinking a lighter, lower alcohol beer(which will make you drink more servings) is the fix if one is a little overweight. Bull!!!
Forget that logic. Drink regular strength, quality beer and enjoy it. You'll drink fewer of the quality beers to get a mellow buzz and feel better in the AM.
F-!!!

alankwak, Aug 13, 2010
2.33/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank this from bottle at many bars, restuarants and college parties. no sustainable head, pale gold color with a terrible white head.. The aroma is light, not super skunky as this is mostly water. The taste is all water. Nothing worth ever drinking.

jrallen34, Aug 10, 2010
1.78/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a clean, pale straw color with minimal plume of white head despite many bubbles. Smell is almost non-existant, faint dried hay and slight corn. Taste is rather non existant too except for the light touch of boiled corn on the finnish. Extremely light, very watery and highly carbonated. The only positive i can say is that the off flavors were kept to a minimum, but so were all of the flavors.

rfgetz, Aug 10, 2010
1.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Review from notes from a while ago.

Poured a clear, bubbly deep straw/light gold color with a short lived fizzy white head. Dissipated and left with a clear yellow tinted liquid. A light metallic nose and a touch of corn. Not much else can be discerned. Very fizzy. I'm not sure of where the drinkability comes into play here; it's too carbonated for me. The light body doesn't support it well. Flavor (or what little bit of corniness) dies quickly. I did not find this drinkable. In fact, I ended up pouring it out after a few sips.

DmanGTR, Aug 10, 2010
2.6/5  rDev +41.3%

Slim can (like a Red Bull can) poured into a pint glass.

A: Looks like carbonated morning urine. Fizzed like a soda.

S: Very light malt and not much else except typical adjunct grains like corn and rice.

T: Actually a lot better than I imagined, but that's not saying much at all. It's hard to pick out anything offensive, but it's hard to pick out anything at all. Almost tastes like sparkling water with a light beer mixed in.

D: On the level of ballgame beers, this one is definitely drinkable. However, someone who appreciates craft beer like most of the reviewers on here will dog this beer even in this one category in which it actually fairs pretty well. This is the kind of beer you buy in a 12 pack.

Value: $8.99 for a 12? Not bad to get for a party with some people who aren't "beer drinkers."

All in all this beer has an unfairly low rating on here in my opinion. Even though I'd never choose this beer, it's not a drain pour. It's just BARELY beer.

WeezyBoPeep, Aug 08, 2010
1.88/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz bottle at a roadside cafe in Choteau, Montana. While my mom and her friend chat, I get to do this!

This beer pours a clear, super-pale straw colour, with lots of thinly foamy, and yet creamy off-white head, which leaves very sparse specks of lace around the glass as it quickly settles.

It smells of gritty, grainy corn grist, spare florals, and soft (yay, I suppose) nail polish remover - all dunked in a big ol' tub of mineral water. The taste is more soft corny grain, the liquid version of corn flakes, but with less flavour, weak mineral spring notes, and very tame (yet I seem to be mentioning them) cooked veggies.

The carbonation is a bit strong in its swirling frothiness, the body light even for the low bar set by the style, and watery, with a cheap airy smoothness. It finishes with a thin corn sweetness, and general vegetal earthiness. It's just missing Fire!

Ethereal, mildness incarnate, generally inoffensive, and a hair below table water in thirst quenching effectiveness. I'm surprised that I got carded when I ordered this, for multiple reasons, none of them all that good. One of the spokes of that boundary and cliff edge pushing wheel that the big boys of beer can ill afford to not pursue, apparently.

biboergosum, Aug 07, 2010
2.2/5  rDev +19.6%

Appearance: Flat, yellow, carbonated water.

Smell: Metallic grains and lots of carbon gas.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Lots of metallic water and some stale beery grains.

Drinkability: Decently refreshing at a hot ballgame.

Overall: Bud Light's actually better.

tjsdomer2, Jul 29, 2010

This is nothing but carbonated water with a little alcohol mixed in. I really don't even consider this beer a 'social' beer. It's a disappointment. Michelob does have several other selections that are respectable. I consider this one to have one of the worst taste's of any beer I've tried.

newcastleme, Jul 20, 2010
1.65/5  rDev -10.3%

I had one with My Battalion Commander LTC Pitt. He is always watching his weight and gives up his taste and his manliness by drinking this malted soda water that is pawned off onto to the consumer as a beer.

A: Very light straw color. Damn near being water. Overly carbonated.

S: Yeasty and slightly metallic.

T: Bland and watery. Slight hints of a sweet malt flavor.

M: Watery and thin. It is like drinking a seltzer.

D: If your objective is to look cool you failed. If your objective is to get drunk you failed. If your objective is to look like you are on a diet than you have succeeded. It is not drinkable and will leave you feeling empty and lonely as people start calling you a fag.

bigrzman, Jul 18, 2010
1.73/5  rDev -6%

Crystal clear and very pale yellow. A fizzy white cap disappeared almost instantly. Very faint cereal grain aroma, slight fruit, minerals, otherwise the smell is nearly nonexistent. Not much in the way of bitterness, light apple and grain, metallic finish. Very light bodied, slipping into the watery category by the finish. Quite dry with coarse carbonation. Can't say that I enjoyed this at all.

DrJay, Jul 12, 2010
1.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Serving: 12 oz bottle into an ale glass.

We used a 12 pack of this "beer" as an ingredient in a vodka punch. So I decided to review one for the lulz.

A: Extremely pale yellow. Poured with a tremendously fizzy head which dissipated after 5 or 6 seconds.

S: Faintly grainy with some yeasty smell to it. Doesn't smell BAD per se but there is nothing really remarkable about it.

T: Almost no taste whatsoever. The slightest bitterness gives way to a very slight grainy taste. I'm tempted to say that this tasted bad but there is almost no taste at all. It's reminiscent of flavored soda water.

M: Exactly like soda water.

D: I suppose if you were really thirsty this might be okay, since it's a close relative to soda. Otherwise, avoid.

evilkalla, Jul 11, 2010
1.23/5  rDev -33.2%

[Appearance]: Very pale yellow color, clear. Good amount of carbonation. No head, no lacing whatsoever. Looks like piss and club soda mix together.
[Smell]: Not much aroma, perhaps some adjunct.
[Taste]: Not much flavor at all, but I could detect some adjunct, but otherwise its very bland and watery.
[Mouthfeel]: Watery, very carbonated. Finish is clean maybe some dry aftertaste.
[Drinkability]: It's so bland and watery that I couldn't finish drinking the whole beer.

mjurney, Jul 04, 2010
1.95/5  rDev +6%

Appearance - A light yellow color that you can see through. The head faded quickly and there was almost no lacing left on the glass after I finished the beer. It looked like most other typical macro-brew beers like a Bud Light.

Smell - A faint lemon citrus smell over powered by a corn/metallic odor.

Taste - Lacking in taste. I really tried to pull the flavor out of it. There is a light lemon taste, emphasis on the light. A corny malty taste hits your tongue and fades quickly. For the most part it was like drinking carbonated water. The taste grew on me as I drank it but it was nothing impressive.

Mouthfeel - When I first drank the beer there was a lot of carbonation that impressed me at first but about 1/2 way down it was almost all gone and by the last few sips it was all gone. The taste leaves a bitter feeling in your mouth and not a good bitter feeling either. Its like drinking a bitter tonic water until the bubbles are gone and then its just a bitter water.

Drinkability - I agree with the other reviews that say, "the beer is drinkable but why bother?" and I disagree at the same time. This beer is light and doesn't kill you (4.20 ABV) so you can down it no problem but I did not find the experience all that enjoyable. My stomach rumbled when I finished it and I couldn't think how anyone could drink another unless they were already pretty wasted or had a huge beer belly

Serving type - Draft (on-tap)

Not the worst beer I've ever had but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

TheElusiveAlexT, Jun 29, 2010
1.6/5  rDev -13%

[story]So I went back home to Wheeling, WV for Father's Day. I had purchased some beers there and left them in the fridge to take home with me. This was in the fridge and my Mom though it belonged to me. So as kind of a gag Im reviewing it. [/story]

A- A rough pour into a Perfect Pint yields a small, fizzy stark white head that leaves in the blink of an eye. This is totally the most pale beer Ive ever seen. Its absurd. It looks like there was a light beer in partially drank in the glass then filled with water.

S- I cant smell anything. Its amazing in its lack of smell. Bravo Busch.

T- Boiled husks. Very corny. Well, the word very might be too strong to use to describe this beer. Its corny but even that is faint. Its sweet and adjunct forward.

M- Very dry. I was just thinking; Im surprised that people who drink these beers like a dry finish. I would think that its too much for them. I can see why Busch does make their beers dry. It makes one want to drink more of their product.

D- Its easy to drink but I dont really see why anyone would. It can hardly get you drunk, it has no real taste, no color, no smell, no purpose. I guess this is for people who need to have something in their hand while at the bar with their friends.

MbpBugeye, Jun 26, 2010
2.48/5  rDev +34.8%

From spending the night at my girlfriends, I found myself alone in the house today. I grabbed one of these just to actually try it.

A: Pours a pale straw color with bubbly white head that fades really fast. No lacing. Boring.

S: Corn, slight metallic smells.

T: Corn is the first taste on the taste buds right away. There are some other grains, but corn is dominant here.

M: I feel like I'm drinking a new Corn Soda from one of our favorite Brands! Not what I want in a beer.

D: I guess you could call this drinkable, but by no means would I ever want a session or pong game with it. I suppose if you were dieting and needed a session beer, it would do.

VolcomBrewer, Jun 22, 2010

Thanks to my girlfriend's Mom's English husband for the opportunity to try this brew. I've been wanting to for a long time. I hear it has only 64 calories, and is still WAY big on taste.

A - Wow. I don't know what to say. It doesn't look that good, but perhaps my judgment is off. After all, if I'm not mistaken, Sheryl Crow drinks this stuff. She knows her stuff, and so I must support this beverage. Unless I am wrong and she drinks a different low-calorie product, or has switched to Joose! Then I won't know what to do!

S - I can't smell anything, really. When I see the commercials though, usually the people are running very fast or performing strenuous exercise in a chic or cosmopolitan setting, so I guess that some sort of discernible aroma would be distracting, especially if you were jogging or riding bicycles with Lance Armstrong.

T - I am not sure how it tastes, but I am disappointed that I can't 'see the rockies turn blue' to tell me if my beer is cold. I am unable to discern temperatures without color-coded indicators. Also, I wonder: is this 'triple-hops-brewed'? Also, I wonder: what is hops?

M - I feel real normal when I am drinking this; I get scared and nervous when I make unfamiliar choices.

D - Normal people like this stuff. Plus, this is a really safe choice; they wouldn't spend that much on advertising if it wasn't one of the best beers.

ktrillionaire, Jun 18, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +110.9%

i think this is the PERFECT BEER-if you want to make a new york style egg cream! tried it at a bike race [tubs of it, FREE!] thought to myself, wow, this tastes like real seltzer-high carbonation, not too salty, not much flavor. went home, picked up some Fox's Ubet, 2% milk and a 6-pack. mixed them together and had the best egg cream since i was a kid.

I'm not sure if this is a positive review or a negative, but I keep it in the house all the time now.

pedalist1, Jun 11, 2010
1.68/5  rDev -8.7%

A: Very pale yellow, watery.

S: Smells like there is corn used in the brewing process, maybe some slight grain. Almost nothing else.

T: Corn taste also, can't get any sense of hops or malt really. It's pretty bad. Finishes dry and leaves no taste behind.

M: Water.

O: You can drink them all night if you can stomach it.

bundy462, Jun 02, 2010
1.93/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a 24 oz can of this ultra at 711. I have never had it before.

The appearance is rather poor. It has no head and it is a faint yellow color. The smell is that of burnt corn. The beer tastes like burnt corn also. It feels like soda water in the mouth. With that said it is easy to drink but I don't see the point since it tastes terrible.

Avoid this beer at all costs. It's really disgusting. And I have no idea why people buy it since it's not even cheap.

eschbach, May 29, 2010
2.25/5  rDev +22.3%

Drank at a cook out... Free Beer, so I'll try it

A: Cannot really rate since I drank it out of a bottle... So I'll go average, because I'm sure it looks like yellow beer.

S: Smells like sweet adjunct with a faint hoppiness. Faint smell overall though.

T: Not a lot here, malt, corn faint hops at the end. No after taste... I'm guessing you need to have a taste to have an after taste.

M: Sharp Crisp and light... Pretty carbonated

D: Very easy to drink, low ABV plus only 95 calories and low in carbs... But why.... my quest for a good light beer continues....

mralphabet, May 25, 2010