Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
tronester

Oklahoma

Pours a super pale yellow with a thin white head. Smells of stale grain. Taste is of rust, with a faint whisper of malt. This beverage is so light that you can even slightly taste alcohol. Mouthfeel is incredibly watery, carbonation high. Usually with a light lager, drinkability is somewhat high, but not with this beer. It doesn't taste like beer IMO, rusty carbonated water is more like it. Truly terrible, even compared to other light beers I have had. I had a Miller Lite before this and in comparison it seems full flavored, and had about as many calories, and a much lower price. So for those looking for a diet beer, look elsewhere. For lovers of craft beer, this is the anti-thesis.

Avoid!

08-10-2008 21:33:00 | More by tronester
Bobo77

Missouri

2.17/5  rDev +18.6%

One of my BMC drinking friends brought a sixer of these and Budweiser over for a barbecue. I was broke and didn't complain.

Poured out of a bottle with a born on date of June 25, 2008 with an oh so pale body. This has to be the thinnest of all of the AB products I have seen, I have yet to see Bud Select though.
Displayed a soda like, egg shell white head that disappeared very quickly like most other macros.

A light aroma of corn (of course) was present and actually I think I detected a hint of malt in there somewhere.

I was very surprised to find that this beer had a light, crisp, refreshing flavor. I would venture to say that it even tasted better than Bud Light. It finishes Ultra clean, pun intended.

With the St. Louis temperature being about 100 degrees on the day that I reviewed this, it was easy to imagine killing an ice cold 6 pack of these, especially if there weren't any flavorful beers around.

08-10-2008 16:16:31 | More by Bobo77
Beerking721

1.25/5  rDev -31.7%

Obviously AB had created a watered down lo cal/carb beer for people who want to drink a beer but don't like beer (if you know what I mean...). Had this at a friend's wedding last week. :(

A = Light pale straw in color with a short-lived minor head and no lace.

S = Very minimal grain presence.

T = This reminds me of some stale "big city" tap water with a minimal level of beer flavor added as an after thought.

M = Thin and watery...

D = Couldn't get past the first couple of swallows.

No food pairing suggestions on this weak effort.

07-17-2008 13:19:03 | More by Beerking721
tugdriver7

Maryland

1.4/5  rDev -23.5%

Got this at a wedding because, well, I was tired of drinking the other non-starters they were offering (e.g., Bud Light and Corona). It was cold. It had bubbles. Very watery and virtually tasteless. The color (obviously added) led one to believe there was something to this beer. Nope. Nothing. There was a mild (roasted?) malt flavor and an annoying banana flavor (hops?) that built up over time until they became rather disgusting and rendered the last inch or so undrinkable. The Corona with lime I had reluctantly ordered before seemed so much better.

07-15-2008 23:49:55 | More by tugdriver7
elricorico

Alberta (Canada)

2.25/5  rDev +23%

Very pale golden colour with lots of visible carbonation racing up to a large white head. Head recedes steadily but leaves a couple of spots of sticky lacing.

Smells lightly of sweet grains, wet grass and a touch of lemon. Not much there.

Certainly a light lager, it gives the impression of beer flavoured soda water. Fizzy a thin, with only a slim grainy flavour. Carbonation is like a soft drink, coarse on the tongue.

Drinkable, but so is water. Fizziness is the only thing slowing a quaffer down here.

07-15-2008 01:45:09 | More by elricorico
PatrickJR

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Extremely pale yellow, almost absolutely clear. A quarter inch of foam forms breifly and subsides to nothing.

S - High on the green apple aroma with some grain husk as well. Almost has a vinegar-like quality, but in a good way.

T - Faint green apple dominates, but there are some mild adjunct flavors and grain husk pulling through. No bitterness and an extremely clean finish.

M - Very thin, and watery with some decent carbonation. Though it held it's carbonation better than most light beers after poured into a glass, I felt this brew should've been more crisp.

D - The smell and taste were pretty unoffensive and almost interesting for a light lager, but the wateryness is something I can't get past and for that reason wouldn't have more than one of these, if even that many.

As far as light lagers go, this is one of the better ones out there. Sure, it's already tasteless and watery, but this brew is at least a little more interesting and flavorful.

07-05-2008 00:05:53 | More by PatrickJR
Rayek

1.27/5  rDev -30.6%

Picked up at a family function. Most taste free beer I think I've ever had.

A: I'll give credit where credit is due. This beer looks pretty good. Very pale straw color with active carbonation. Head is foamy and firm, with good retention. Leaves quite a bit of lace.

S: Almost no aroma. Faint husky malt, plus rice and a hint of green apple. That's it.

T: Even less taste. A beer for people who don't like the taste of beer. Neither sweet nor bitter. Maybe a hint of dry malt. Finishes clean and dry. Almost like it was never there.

M: Super light body with too much fizz.

D: I'd never pick this up on purpose. No taste, no aromas, nothing going on. Like seltzer water with a splash of beer flavor.

06-23-2008 19:13:37 | More by Rayek
yelterdow

3.7/5  rDev +102.2%

Served at fridge temperature in a pilsener glass. Born on 06MAY08 and sampled six weeks later.

Appearance- With a twist of the cap, this beer pours almost perfectly clear... the faintest straw yellow hue peers through what looks like sparkling water. The head stands almost two fingers high, soapy and snow white, then vanishes to a thin, broken mat across the top. There is constant activity in the glass.

Smell- A sharp, vegetal smell reminiscent of husks and cereal, with a straw-like crisp hop presence at the end. There's actually a pleasant, floral sweetness that isn't cloying which surprises me.

Taste- Although weak, the flavors in this beer are remarkably balanced and pleasing for what this is... a "lowly" Light Lager. The cereal notes are forward enough to hit first, but then a hint of grass and flowers gently come forth. The finish is simple and unmemorable, but the resulting taste is easy and not at all bad. I am shocked so far.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- This begins a bit prickly, but doesn't go wild like others I've tried. It thins out and goes watery after a few seconds in the mouth, which doesn't surprise me. This is the easiest and most enjoyable light beer to drink out of a glass, even after a half hour coming closer to cellar temperature this never became difficult. Craziness.

06-23-2008 00:56:07 | More by yelterdow
ElGeordie

1.3/5  rDev -29%

I had the choice of this or Corona Light at a recent cook-out. I guess I made the wrong choice. I drank it from the bottle so I can't say anything about how it looked. But my other senses told me enough. This is crap. The only taste I could make out was a metallic chloriney tinge - Chemical soup. This is a beer for people who don't like beer. Why bother ?

06-16-2008 18:38:18 | More by ElGeordie
MrIncognito

1.8/5  rDev -1.6%

This was on hand at a party I went to and everyone was drinking this first, so I though I'd give it a shot. Bad idea.

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler.

A - Looks like somebody put a drop or two of yellow food coloring into water. Extremely pale yellow, maybe a 1-finger head, not much lacing.

S - Not sure how to describe it. Like an odd mash of barley and hops. Not balanced.

T - Watered down malt with no interesting flavors to pull. I'm not getting any citrus or wheat or even much hop bitterness. Like nasty water.

M - low carbonation leaving this beer seemingly flat.

At least I know better than to try this again. It's a shame really. Why even make, or especially drink, this beer regularly? I don't know how people do it. This is extremely rare except for in extreme circumstances, but I didn't even finish this beer. Poured it out. That was the best part about this experience... getting rid of it.

06-16-2008 12:08:15 | More by MrIncognito
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.13/5  rDev +16.4%

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, pale yellow body with a small, white head.

Smell: Vague aroma of tired malts with a background note reminiscent of chemicals, like a hint of malt liquor found its way into here.

Taste: Drop of sweetness wrapped around a tiny handful of grain. Again, there's that hint of chemicals and a sense of cheapness. Squirt of seltzer water on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation. Rather watery.

Drinkability: There's a slight, but noticeable ickiness to the taste, I'd really prefer it to simply taste like nothing. Maybe I can understand why they're trying to jazz it up with those various flavorings.

06-10-2008 06:16:26 | More by ChainGangGuy
far333

Connecticut

2.58/5  rDev +41%

Crystal clear pale yellow with a tightly bubbled white head that leaves a quarter inch of foam that lingers long.

Very light and faint aroma, but I can pick out buttered bread and some popcorn.

Flavor of buttered corn, some mild butterscotch. Not a full flavor, very light. A fine bite comes through in the finish, but can't tell if that's some hops or just a ton of carbonation tingling.

Puckery mouthfeel, tingly, finishes dry and crisp.

Not a complex beer, not too flavorful, but honestly not as bad as I expected. Great for people who look to beer as a thirst quencher, or drink it in social situations, and/or have very bland tastes in general.

05-27-2008 13:08:17 | More by far333
rye726

1.13/5  rDev -38.3%

Wow, a low carb light beer. My dreams are finally answered. This brew is a very pale yellow and has a weak white head. The smell is of old garbage water. The taste is nothing special. Very close to water with some grains and yeast. The body is again light and unappealing. Not very drinkable at all. Like with most of these, I'll have a water.

05-05-2008 17:45:58 | More by rye726
Slatetank

1.15/5  rDev -37.2%

I had this bottle at Smokey Bones, where there is not much of a beer selection. I have heard many comments about this so I thought I would give it a go. Served ice cold poured into a mug.

A - An extremely, I mean very pale gold like yellow water. The head appears and vanishes in seconds, there is no lace.

S - A mild hint of sweet odor, little else going on. Possibly an adjunct smell if anything.

M - Watery, fizzy and metallic -a mess.

T - Not a bit of flavor mustered by this ultra-light. More of a feel as in other lights than flavor. If I had to give this a taste description I would say alka-seltzer when pressed. Very gassy w/a slightly oily vegetal tinge.

D - This is a really sad attempt, just not even close to beer. I guess if you want to cut grease from ribs it works, but not for any real beer taste - Avoid this at all costs. I wish this could have proved me wrong but nothing ultra about this, just ultra lame.

05-02-2008 19:29:26 | More by Slatetank
RJLarse

Washington

2.63/5  rDev +43.7%

Received a six-pack as a gift. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours an "ultra" pale yellow color and is "ultra" clear. A fizzy 2 finger head forms, and dissolved noisily. You can hear the bubbles popping like 7-UP.

Smell is an acerbic floral scent. Slightly biting.

Taste a mild neutral flavor, with a faint lemony flavor.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, but highly carbonated.

Drinkable as a glass of water with a slice of lemon in it. But not a very good beer.

04-27-2008 23:40:09 | More by RJLarse

3.2/5  rDev +74.9%

My favorite light beer by a nose...! =)

A: Very clear yellow in color. It looks very diluted, and there isnt much head to speak of. It left no lacing on the glass as I drank it.

S: Not good. I cant describe why, but I just dont like it.

T: This is the only area where this beer shines. It tastes like a beer (mind you a very light one), but a good one. Not bad at all.

M: Forget about it. Water is more filling in your mouth than this is.

D: Good, because it almost like beer flavored water.

Don't get me wrong-I like this brew, but it has few redeeming qualities, and as the reviews show, most if not all agree.

04-26-2008 01:25:33 | More by 1099
cvstrickland

1.45/5  rDev -20.8%

You must be kidding me.

A 12-ounce bottle lovingly decanted into a green plastic half-yard glass from St. Patty's Day produces a clear yellowish waterish stuff with a bunch of bubbles that fizz out faster than Diet Coke.

Smells vaguely like wet bran cereal and mild smelted aluminum.

Tastes like (badly) flavored water... vague corn sweetener; harsh bubbles with aluminum oxide; something vaguely sour; a light bunch of off flavors... nothing good. Mostly nothing in general.

Watery, almost odor-free, ('cept for the mentioned metallic whang and some funky sulphur deal). Undrinkable except in a survival/ beer bong/ gift recipient situation. Someone should take a flogging over this ridiculous excuse for beer. Awful.

04-22-2008 01:24:13 | More by cvstrickland
jsprain1

1.55/5  rDev -15.3%

A- The appearance was a pale yellow with a giant head that faded in less than a minute.
S/T- There was next to no scent or taste. Just a light musty grainyness.
M- It left my mouth with a wierd feel. Somehow the aftertaste was better than the initial taste. Virtually no body.
O- It's basically what I expected. It's a good thing I got this one for free.

04-08-2008 02:09:44 | More by jsprain1
AgingWarrior

1.78/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured a very light yellow color with minimal white head that disappeared almost immediately.

No real smell to this drink.

Taste is practically non-existent.

I was at a restaurant with a very limited beer selection and thought I'd give this a try. This was the first and last time I'll drink this "beer".

04-07-2008 22:48:03 | More by AgingWarrior
alysmith4

District of Columbia

1.68/5  rDev -8.2%

I'm not sure what the "ultra" stands for.. I'm thinking it must be for ultra gross, because that's pretty much all this beer is. It's a poor example of a light lager.. flavorless, colorless, odorless, and most of all - tasteless. Avoid this beer at all costs. Save yourself the calories and drink water instead.

03-28-2008 16:23:11 | More by alysmith4
chiapete

Wisconsin

1.65/5  rDev -9.8%

Talk about a light beer every thing about this says light,light,light.

Looks like water , tastes like water , the only thing like a beer is some aroma and I mean very little.

Tried this just to try, would never order this again. Something my wife sister might drink , she hates beer.

03-25-2008 14:27:57 | More by chiapete
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

2.2/5  rDev +20.2%

12 oz. twist off bottle> 16 oz. SA glass.
"born" on 2/7/08

This is the thinnest looking beer I've ever seen. It's like mildly carbonated white grape juice, not pale gold...not gold at all, it's almost as clear as water. I can see clear across the room through the my glass! A thin, paper-white head comes and goes without much notice...dissolves into a void of nothing....fast. I'm scared.

O.k, after what appears to be only a ghost of a beer the aroma is not bad. Very sweet malt, even , mildly fruity, like fermented raspberries. A tangy, sour yeast follows with corn fields and grains.

So, this stuff is supposed to be "light" and that pretty much sums up the flavor factor, but there is some note worthy elements...a tangy, wheatie malt...the sweetness does not pop out like in the aroma but the corn and grains sure do. sour ripe white grapes is still there which actually adds some "complexity" to this. I can't really detect the hops, but most of the flavors are very subdued. It's really a tangy, wheat flavor that pops out most.

"Ultra" light body, although it keeps it's crispness better than some other's of it's kind.

The quality seems to diminsih with every passong minute. Overall: don't bother.

03-22-2008 23:37:12 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
Hojaminbag

1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

Yellow with a tiny bit of head that receded so fast I wasn't sure it was ever there. This looks more like urine than beer.

Some sort of sweet smell. Reminds me of stomach acid.

Tastes like a sweet corn flavor. I'm aware it's probably not actually made with corn (rice maybe?). For a second I thought I could taste hop at the end. I think I was wrong and it was just wishful thinking.

Moutfeel reminds me of super carbonated tonic water.

Drinkablity would be much improved if you were drunk. It is light and doesn't taste like anything.

Not a good beer, but it was free so I shouldn't complain too much about it.

03-05-2008 04:07:23 | More by Hojaminbag
Doomcifer

Rhode Island

1.23/5  rDev -32.8%

Some people left this behind at my house so I figured that I would at least try it. This is my first time ever tasting this stuff. Pours an extremely pale, extremely clear, straw color with big soda-like carbonation bubbles. Very small head that fizzles out quickly. Aroma is of light grains, adjuncts, corn, and a slightly "off-smell." Whoa, the taste is REALLY bad. This beer brings out a new level of skunkiness. Tastes extremely watery with an intense skunkiness in the finish. Mouthfeel is very watery and carbonated. This is one of the few "drain-pours" that I have had.

03-03-2008 01:17:37 | More by Doomcifer
daledeee

Iowa

1.73/5  rDev -5.5%

Bought this because I went to ANOTHER restuarant that doesn't think people that like beer go there.

Pouring this is boring. Don't waste your time. Drink it out of the bottle.

Taste is sweet.

Some carbonation. Almost unnatural.

Easy to drink. I really don't have much else to say. It was cold. It wasn't spoiled.

02-23-2008 15:17:28 | More by daledeee