Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.13/5  rDev +16.4%

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, pale yellow body with a small, white head.

Smell: Vague aroma of tired malts with a background note reminiscent of chemicals, like a hint of malt liquor found its way into here.

Taste: Drop of sweetness wrapped around a tiny handful of grain. Again, there's that hint of chemicals and a sense of cheapness. Squirt of seltzer water on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation. Rather watery.

Drinkability: There's a slight, but noticeable ickiness to the taste, I'd really prefer it to simply taste like nothing. Maybe I can understand why they're trying to jazz it up with those various flavorings.

06-10-2008 06:16:26 | More by ChainGangGuy
far333

Connecticut

2.58/5  rDev +41%

Crystal clear pale yellow with a tightly bubbled white head that leaves a quarter inch of foam that lingers long.

Very light and faint aroma, but I can pick out buttered bread and some popcorn.

Flavor of buttered corn, some mild butterscotch. Not a full flavor, very light. A fine bite comes through in the finish, but can't tell if that's some hops or just a ton of carbonation tingling.

Puckery mouthfeel, tingly, finishes dry and crisp.

Not a complex beer, not too flavorful, but honestly not as bad as I expected. Great for people who look to beer as a thirst quencher, or drink it in social situations, and/or have very bland tastes in general.

05-27-2008 13:08:17 | More by far333
rye726

Colorado

1.13/5  rDev -38.3%

Wow, a low carb light beer. My dreams are finally answered. This brew is a very pale yellow and has a weak white head. The smell is of old garbage water. The taste is nothing special. Very close to water with some grains and yeast. The body is again light and unappealing. Not very drinkable at all. Like with most of these, I'll have a water.

05-05-2008 17:45:58 | More by rye726
Slatetank

1.15/5  rDev -37.2%

I had this bottle at Smokey Bones, where there is not much of a beer selection. I have heard many comments about this so I thought I would give it a go. Served ice cold poured into a mug.

A - An extremely, I mean very pale gold like yellow water. The head appears and vanishes in seconds, there is no lace.

S - A mild hint of sweet odor, little else going on. Possibly an adjunct smell if anything.

M - Watery, fizzy and metallic -a mess.

T - Not a bit of flavor mustered by this ultra-light. More of a feel as in other lights than flavor. If I had to give this a taste description I would say alka-seltzer when pressed. Very gassy w/a slightly oily vegetal tinge.

D - This is a really sad attempt, just not even close to beer. I guess if you want to cut grease from ribs it works, but not for any real beer taste - Avoid this at all costs. I wish this could have proved me wrong but nothing ultra about this, just ultra lame.

05-02-2008 19:29:26 | More by Slatetank
RJLarse

Washington

2.63/5  rDev +43.7%

Received a six-pack as a gift. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours an "ultra" pale yellow color and is "ultra" clear. A fizzy 2 finger head forms, and dissolved noisily. You can hear the bubbles popping like 7-UP.

Smell is an acerbic floral scent. Slightly biting.

Taste a mild neutral flavor, with a faint lemony flavor.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, but highly carbonated.

Drinkable as a glass of water with a slice of lemon in it. But not a very good beer.

04-27-2008 23:40:09 | More by RJLarse

3.2/5  rDev +74.9%

My favorite light beer by a nose...! =)

A: Very clear yellow in color. It looks very diluted, and there isnt much head to speak of. It left no lacing on the glass as I drank it.

S: Not good. I cant describe why, but I just dont like it.

T: This is the only area where this beer shines. It tastes like a beer (mind you a very light one), but a good one. Not bad at all.

M: Forget about it. Water is more filling in your mouth than this is.

D: Good, because it almost like beer flavored water.

Don't get me wrong-I like this brew, but it has few redeeming qualities, and as the reviews show, most if not all agree.

04-26-2008 01:25:33 | More by 1099
cvstrickland

1.45/5  rDev -20.8%

You must be kidding me.

A 12-ounce bottle lovingly decanted into a green plastic half-yard glass from St. Patty's Day produces a clear yellowish waterish stuff with a bunch of bubbles that fizz out faster than Diet Coke.

Smells vaguely like wet bran cereal and mild smelted aluminum.

Tastes like (badly) flavored water... vague corn sweetener; harsh bubbles with aluminum oxide; something vaguely sour; a light bunch of off flavors... nothing good. Mostly nothing in general.

Watery, almost odor-free, ('cept for the mentioned metallic whang and some funky sulphur deal). Undrinkable except in a survival/ beer bong/ gift recipient situation. Someone should take a flogging over this ridiculous excuse for beer. Awful.

04-22-2008 01:24:13 | More by cvstrickland
jsprain1

1.55/5  rDev -15.3%

A- The appearance was a pale yellow with a giant head that faded in less than a minute.
S/T- There was next to no scent or taste. Just a light musty grainyness.
M- It left my mouth with a wierd feel. Somehow the aftertaste was better than the initial taste. Virtually no body.
O- It's basically what I expected. It's a good thing I got this one for free.

04-08-2008 02:09:44 | More by jsprain1
AgingWarrior

1.78/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured a very light yellow color with minimal white head that disappeared almost immediately.

No real smell to this drink.

Taste is practically non-existent.

I was at a restaurant with a very limited beer selection and thought I'd give this a try. This was the first and last time I'll drink this "beer".

04-07-2008 22:48:03 | More by AgingWarrior
alysmith4

District of Columbia

1.68/5  rDev -8.2%

I'm not sure what the "ultra" stands for.. I'm thinking it must be for ultra gross, because that's pretty much all this beer is. It's a poor example of a light lager.. flavorless, colorless, odorless, and most of all - tasteless. Avoid this beer at all costs. Save yourself the calories and drink water instead.

03-28-2008 16:23:11 | More by alysmith4
chiapete

Wisconsin

1.65/5  rDev -9.8%

Talk about a light beer every thing about this says light,light,light.

Looks like water , tastes like water , the only thing like a beer is some aroma and I mean very little.

Tried this just to try, would never order this again. Something my wife sister might drink , she hates beer.

03-25-2008 14:27:57 | More by chiapete
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

2.2/5  rDev +20.2%

12 oz. twist off bottle> 16 oz. SA glass.
"born" on 2/7/08

This is the thinnest looking beer I've ever seen. It's like mildly carbonated white grape juice, not pale gold...not gold at all, it's almost as clear as water. I can see clear across the room through the my glass! A thin, paper-white head comes and goes without much notice...dissolves into a void of nothing....fast. I'm scared.

O.k, after what appears to be only a ghost of a beer the aroma is not bad. Very sweet malt, even , mildly fruity, like fermented raspberries. A tangy, sour yeast follows with corn fields and grains.

So, this stuff is supposed to be "light" and that pretty much sums up the flavor factor, but there is some note worthy elements...a tangy, wheatie malt...the sweetness does not pop out like in the aroma but the corn and grains sure do. sour ripe white grapes is still there which actually adds some "complexity" to this. I can't really detect the hops, but most of the flavors are very subdued. It's really a tangy, wheat flavor that pops out most.

"Ultra" light body, although it keeps it's crispness better than some other's of it's kind.

The quality seems to diminsih with every passong minute. Overall: don't bother.

03-22-2008 23:37:12 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
Hojaminbag

Colorado

1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

Yellow with a tiny bit of head that receded so fast I wasn't sure it was ever there. This looks more like urine than beer.

Some sort of sweet smell. Reminds me of stomach acid.

Tastes like a sweet corn flavor. I'm aware it's probably not actually made with corn (rice maybe?). For a second I thought I could taste hop at the end. I think I was wrong and it was just wishful thinking.

Moutfeel reminds me of super carbonated tonic water.

Drinkablity would be much improved if you were drunk. It is light and doesn't taste like anything.

Not a good beer, but it was free so I shouldn't complain too much about it.

03-05-2008 04:07:23 | More by Hojaminbag
Doomcifer

Rhode Island

1.23/5  rDev -32.8%

Some people left this behind at my house so I figured that I would at least try it. This is my first time ever tasting this stuff. Pours an extremely pale, extremely clear, straw color with big soda-like carbonation bubbles. Very small head that fizzles out quickly. Aroma is of light grains, adjuncts, corn, and a slightly "off-smell." Whoa, the taste is REALLY bad. This beer brings out a new level of skunkiness. Tastes extremely watery with an intense skunkiness in the finish. Mouthfeel is very watery and carbonated. This is one of the few "drain-pours" that I have had.

03-03-2008 01:17:37 | More by Doomcifer
daledeee

Iowa

1.73/5  rDev -5.5%

Bought this because I went to ANOTHER restuarant that doesn't think people that like beer go there.

Pouring this is boring. Don't waste your time. Drink it out of the bottle.

Taste is sweet.

Some carbonation. Almost unnatural.

Easy to drink. I really don't have much else to say. It was cold. It wasn't spoiled.

02-23-2008 15:17:28 | More by daledeee
bluejacket74

2.5/5  rDev +36.6%

12 ounce bottle, "born on date" of 1/3/08. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a very pale clear yellow color with a half inch white head. Head retention is low, lacing is OK. Aroma is corn, grain, and a little bit of sweet malt. It tastes the same as it smells, sweet and grainy. No offensive aromas or flavors. Mouthfeel/body is light, it has a lot of carbonation and it's watery. Drinkability is average, it isn't hard to drink and it goes down almost as easy as water does. I could down a few of these on a hot day. It's not what I'd call a good beer, but it's not horrible either. For the style it's not bad.

02-10-2008 02:13:28 | More by bluejacket74
JDV

2.17/5  rDev +18.6%

Extremely light yellow color beer. Almost like water with lemon juice squirted in it... Very short lived head. An extremely subtle grain smell, and taste is one of the lightest of any beer I've ever had. Not bad tasting, but closer to water than beer as far as the taste. Still, I'd rather drink this over some other beers, actually.

02-02-2008 23:06:17 | More by JDV
Natural510

2.08/5  rDev +13.7%

Beer-flavored soda.
Other than a fizzy carbonation/head there is no appearance to speak of...very pale & light.
The only flavor is a light barley...thankfully it's not too sweet. Very crisp finish however, and its main intent seems to be as a thirst-quencher.
For the quenching aspect it works, and it's not the worst macro I've tasted (in terms of offending the palate), but there really is no flavor to mention, and I won't be rushing out to purchase this anytime soon.

01-31-2008 06:34:05 | More by Natural510
AshevilleSippin

Quick Version:
Ultra light and flavorless. No skunkiness. For people who don't like beer.

Details:
I think it's important when rating this 'beer' to at least try to keep in mind the context of the audience AB is trying to reach.

This product is really for designated drivers and people who don't like beer but want to look fashionable holding a brown beer bottle in various social settings.

Let's face it, people don't drink it to get a buzz and they certainly don't drink it for the beer flavor.

In this context they hit it out of the park. It's pretty much an A+. Fancy looking bottle, low calorie, no flavor, no buzz. Good for business too because they sell it by the boxcar load and don't have to really put any ingredients in it other than water, carbonation, and a smidgeon of yellow food coloring. What a business model!

Now, from the perspective of someone who doesn't fit into this category of beer drinker, I'd feel a bit ripped off if I didn't already know what I was getting into (actually left over from my mom's last visit).

I know now why the call it "ultra". It stands for ultra-pale, ultra-aromaless, and ultra-flavorless. I also know why they advertise so heavily in Runners World and sponsor a series of running races across America. They could literally hydrate marathoners at every mile marker with it.

It poured clean and crisp for sure. Lots of snow white foamy bubbles. About a 1/2" or so that faded to flat before the bottle hit the table. Bubbles were perky throughout the rest of the review.

Color is ultra pale, almost transparent, yellow. Very much like a well hydrated person's urine. Bubbly carbonation is a bit refreshing.
No hop aroma. Closest thing I could come up with to describe it is a faint dishwater lemon/lime smell. Like a lemon Palmolive maybe.

Wateriest, least flavorful beer I've ever tasted.
Lack of skunk flavor and smell was a plus (which we all know is pretty much expected in this genre) and gave it a boost in my ratings. Feeble finish. Maybe a non-salty pretzel aftertaste with some carbide drillbit shavings in it. Definitely taste a little metal.

p.s. Where's the malt? Is there ANY in here?

I'd tank this beer lower if I didn't see it for what it is. In its own right it's what it needs to be. However, I just can't look myself in the mirror and give this dog anything higher than a D...

01-22-2008 04:20:29 | More by AshevilleSippin
smcolw

1.25/5  rDev -31.7%

This beer pours a straw yellow color and is clear enough to read through; decent white head with some lasting power; little lace. An attractive pour.

The smell is thin. It's obvious that this beer uses a lot of adjuncts. I cannot discern any hop and the "malt" aroma is not from barley.

The only flavor notes of any value is the spiciness that is created more from over-carbonation than from any taste source. There is NO aftertaste. This is the thinnest beer I've ever had.

I'm not sure what is ultra about this beer other than the lack of taste and body. I suggest you save yourself and have water instead; it's cheaper with less calories.

01-20-2008 14:14:15 | More by smcolw
clayrock81

2.5/5  rDev +36.6%

A lot of people are going to think I am crazy, but I like this beer. A part of the reason is that I am straddling the line between beer geek (in training) and weight lifter (not huge yet). So having this at social gatherings at bars is almost necessary for me. If I wanted just to lose weight, I probably wouldn't drink this as there are much better light beers. Now, it is a very light, watery gold draft w/ a quickly dieing head that greets me (the barwecnch didn't even bother tilting the glass, but why bother with this beer). But I find that it has a nice, smooth but crisp body w/ the adjuncts making a nice taste (smell this and you are going to pick up water and corn). Since it is very low in calories and carbs and alcohol, this is redrinkable. In fact, you might have to drink many of them to catch a buzz.

01-15-2008 19:42:40 | More by clayrock81
auxiliary

Rhode Island

2.03/5  rDev +10.9%

appearance - Yellow straw color, little bit of lace, if none at all.

smell - Corn and grain smells here like a Macro brew.

taste - Watery, taste of grains and corns are about it.

mouthfeel - Light body, watery.

drinkability - Not a good beer at all, very watery. This is a light beer, didn't know that until I saw BA label it as that. Had this when I went to eat, decided to get something I normally don't.

01-09-2008 13:57:01 | More by auxiliary
Overlord

1.55/5  rDev -15.3%

How have I never reviewed this abomination?

Pours a very pale yellow. Big white head. Super carbonated (like club soda).

Flavor? Smell? A Michelob Ultra craves not these things. Maybe a hint of skunky malt ... if that. Nothing of note.

Enjoy your bubbly, watery "beer", peasant.

01-07-2008 08:58:44 | More by Overlord
skeetermoses

Oklahoma

1.63/5  rDev -10.9%

All in all this one tastes like a diet beer, very watered down, and yes I am aware of the purpose of a 3.2 state describing a weak tasting beer. It reallly tastes watered down. Really watered down, the only saving grace on this one is the fact that the only option they have is an amber.

12-31-2007 08:38:52 | More by skeetermoses
n0315

1.3/5  rDev -29%

Very poor. Very very very poor. Has this in a pitcher via tap and all I can say is that I think it was water, not beer. Thats what I get for trying something new.

Little head or retention for that part. The only thing I can same about this is that it did feel crisp, thats why I gave a 2 for mouthfeel. Not bitter, but then again not much of anything. This is as light as it gets. For someone that wants to drink beer with their friends but is watching their weight, and does not not beer much anyways, this is the beer for you. light as it gets. Nothing more, nothing less. Gives you bloatedness while tasting like water.

12-29-2007 04:56:35 | More by n0315