Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
2.83/5  rDev +53.8%

Remember this is a light beer. Pours very pale amber with a foamy white head. Aroma is minimal and somewhat corny. Taste is very light with a champale-like body. Even in a light beer category this is weak. Nothing bad in this beer, just hard to call it a beer. A fine brew for those who don't like the taste of beer. Very champagne like.

Spikester, Dec 27, 2009
2.42/5  rDev +31.5%

275 mL brown bottle poured into a glass.

A: thin, clear, pale yellow--lots of fizz, but not really a head, nor any lacing.

S: nothing much, just a generic lager smell.

T: not much flavor, but I've certainly had worse.

M: lots of crisp bite, but it leaves a strangely dry, faint aftertaste.

D: don't drink this if you want a beer--this is for the low calorie seeker only.

fullsweep, Dec 08, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +68.5%

This beer is, in my humble opinion, not fairly judged by my fellow BA's. We are reviewing a Light Lager beer that is not intended to have much flavor or character at all. If you want an "F" beer go and buy a Cerveza Caguama - straight cat piss, and yes, in a bad way. Or if you seek real flavorlessness, get a MGD 64.

All of the characteristics of this beer were just average. Nothing special, just a lower calorie version of an American Light Lager. The only edge this beer has is in drinkability, because you can have a bunch of them and not have a calorie overload.

mattwjones, Dec 06, 2009
2.28/5  rDev +23.9%

Review from notes. Enjoyed by me 11 28 09. Poured from the 12 oz. brown bottle offered to me at a Birthday party last night. "Born on" date of 10 22 09 so I guess that it is fresh. Poured into a tall, clear weizen glass.

A Nearly water like appearance of extremely light yellow with bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass. Brief white head dissipated within 45 seconds. Nearly devoid of character. 2.0

S Very light (I mean very light) barley with an interesting banana sweetness that I did not expect. 3.0

T Wow. Very close to water. The almost extreme thinness of the taste does carry with it the aforementioned barley and a bit of distant banana, as one might get from walking by a case of fresh bananas and getting just a hint of a whiff of them. There is no aftertaste. The trace taste simply disappears and then there is nothing, as if you just took a gulp of water. 1.5

M The thinnest mouthfeel maybe ever in a beer that I have had. This is the beer's worst feature. 1.0

D Well good since it is very close to water. In fact, I would take a nice glass of ice water over this beer. I mean it, I would rather have water and then, later crack open a beer with some taste. 4.0

adamette, Nov 30, 2009
1.43/5  rDev -22.3%

Appearance: Poured a very pale straw yellow, this may be one of the lightest beers I've ever seen. A 1 1/2 finger head disappears to a thin cap after the first swig. No lacing.

Smell: No hops, no malts, nothing but sweet cereal grain.

Taste: If I did a blindfolded taste test between this and a bottle of Perrier I think I may have a hard time telling the difference. The only thing here is the same sweet grain from the smell. That being said I have had more offensive beers before.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated water. Ridiculously thin.

Drinkability: Well it's not like it makes me grimace every time I drink it like certain adjuncts do. There's just nothing here that makes me feel like I'm drinking a beer, which coincidentally is what I want when I'm drinking a beer...

Overall I wouldn't turn down one if it was free. Like I said previously there are certainly more offensive beers out there. But like many I just can't see the point of a beer like this. I know that a lot of people drink it to watch their weight. But honestly if I was watching mine, I'd rather not drink at all than have this.

DrDoitchbig, Nov 23, 2009

Bottle: Poured a super light yellow color lager with a thin bubbly head that disappeared very quickly. Aroma of very light adjunct and water. Taste is lighter then Coors light which I didn't' though was possible with light adjunct and very little else to note. Body is closer to Perrier then any other beer I drank before. One of the blandest beer I have drank in my life.

Phyl21ca, Nov 22, 2009
2.5/5  rDev +35.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a small head. Very mild aroma, some hints of corn. Really no taste to speak of. Beer flavored water. Feels light in the mouth. Drinkability is not bad. Overall I would say this is a sorry excuse for beer, but since I need to take of a few pounds, I guess there is a purpose for it.

tone77, Nov 11, 2009
1.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance: Poured a very pale light yellow, crystal clear. Half finger white bubbly head that diminishes to nothing in less than 30 seconds. Ample carbonation present.

Smell: Sharp bitter and sour nose. Grassy. Some light malty sweetness. Bland.

Taste: Bitter carbonation bite to start, with little overall flavor. Very “blah” grain taste. Decent balance with the sweetness, but no hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very light-bodied, but good carbonation. Bordering on too much.

Drinkability: A beer for those who don’t like calories and don’t like flavor. Bland, watered down, incredible light, with too much carbonation.

jonziefle, Nov 06, 2009
2.63/5  rDev +42.9%

Poured into a pint glass at 38 degrees.

Appearance: A two finger white heat that has absolutely no retention. The color of the beer is a really light yellow. There are a couple of effervescence bubbles. The clarity of the beer is brilliant.

Nose: A very light malty sweet corn.

Taste: A super light malty with a taste of corn.

Overall: The mouth feel is crisp and clean. The body of the beer is super light and the finish is nil. This beer doesn't have much going for it. The beer fits well in the guidelines for its style and that is only the reason why it got this rating.

colts9016, Nov 04, 2009

I CAN't believe that there are no previous reviews to edit! I just reviewed this ULTRA-nothing beer the other day and now I have to subject myself to it again. Boo hoo.

As with many macros in a CAN, it pours with a decent finger-and-a-half of bone-white head with decent retention. The really striking aspect of this "beer" is its color - Holy Urine, Batman, my stream this morning was darker than this! It was an ULTRA-pale lemon-yellow with ULTRA NE-quality clarity. Hell, I could see through walls with this one! The nose had a slight cereal quality, but that was after repeated sniffs, trying to discern even something worth mentioning. ULTRA ho-hum! Mouthfeel was light, airy, ULTRA smooth, almost like I was not even drinking water, no, air, no, beer. Oh that's right, I was supposed to be drinking beer. Well, you could not prove it by this concoction. ULTRA boring. Finish was ULTRA non-existent. Wow. Give this a wide berth unless ULTRA boredom is your bag.

woodychandler, Oct 31, 2009
1.35/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a very watery looking clear sunshine yellow color. Very cabonated with bubbles coming up from everywhere. 1 finger crisp white head that dissolves into nothing in about 2 seconds flat. No lacing to be seen at all. Terrible looking beer. I think Select 55 had more than this beer does.

S- Sweet malts underlying this entire beer with some cereal style adjunct smells in this one. Just smells artifical to me.

T- Sweet upfront and cereal grains punch through almost right away. This is watery tasting the rest of the way. Not a good tasting beer at all. Actually I wouldn't even say this is a beer. Although, it does taste skunked and well....more skunked.

M- Light mouthfeel. Overly carbonated which is a good thing so it just fizzles over the palate in a huge rush to get to the throat. Sickly sweetness left on the tongue to remind you of what you are about to take another sip of. Crisp finish on this but terrible aftertaste.

D- This is crap to drink. I wouldn't even play a joke on someone with this stuff. I don't see how people like it but then again this is not for the "craft" beer person.

This was a 5 second drink then about a 2/3 glass drainpour. I normally no matter how much I dislike a beer will drink it. This one I just couldn't. Bleh....gross!

alleykatking, Oct 29, 2009
2.3/5  rDev +25%

Ordered at Uncle Julio's. Poured starw coloured with thin head, no smell and soda water 0.1% hop taste. Surprisingly, not even a hint of malt. Waterlike with high carbonation. If you want a session without any stopping or guilt, this could be a possible choice.

BeerSingh, Oct 07, 2009
1.53/5  rDev -16.8%

Welp... What can you say about a beer like this...

A- Not, sure, straight from a bottle due to the fact that the friends house I am at is serving this... But in all honesty, does it really matter? It's safe to say that piss would be a good way to describe this beer.

S- Foot, old shoe. Typical amongst light lagers, and used sporting equipment stores.

T- Well, not a whole lot of malt... or hops... watered down crappy beer is probably the best way to describe this...

M- Couldn't swallow fast enough.

D- Maybe ample to get drunk on...

AVOID

will4240, Sep 28, 2009
1.38/5  rDev -25%

Yeah, OK, I'm stuck at a bar with not a single decent beer. So I might as well have the one with the least carbs, eh?

Well, they didn't give a glass, so I had to drink it from the bottle. So appearance gets an automatic F, right? Smells like ass, too. Tastes like sweet cornflakes left out in the sun for a week. I mean, goddamn, this is bad. I finished it, though, since I had to get my six bucks worth.

PhxHorn, Sep 26, 2009
1.68/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured into Bud American Ale Glass.

Poured vigorously to yeild some white head but fades down so fast. Color is a clear straw yellow gold.

Aroma: Very bland. Not to much here. Some grains and that's about it.

Taste: Pretty much the same thing, except I get some corn here. Very light and bland.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and nothing I like. Light bodied and a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with a very dry aftertaste.

Overall, not something I would ever buy. Light and thin. This is just a fancy way of saying a light beer is light.

mothman, Sep 20, 2009

A very pale yellow pour with a thin fizzy white head , no lacing. Aroma of light sweet corn , faint grain and very littlke else . Flavor is very light , some light malt , raw grain and carbonated water . No hop flavor at all , no bitterness, prickly mouthfeel from too much carbonation , light body , no aftertaste . Drinkable but not very good , nothing offensive , just not at all what I look for in a beer like aroma and flavor .

WakeandBake, Sep 18, 2009
1.18/5  rDev -35.9%

I'm not sure what the Ultra refers to, cuz this beast is just awful. Looks like a watered down glass of some other super-pale beer. Smells like nothing else really, just Michelob Ultra. Tastes like cup of water that's been filtered through a bag of rotten grains. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemies.

apbarwood, Sep 04, 2009
2.65/5  rDev +44%

Pours VERY pale. Paler even than ginger ale. About 1/4 inch of head that lasts a couple seconds. No lacing.

Smell is on par with carbon monoxide or air. That is to say, none.

Taste is bland, but not entirely flavorless. Sweet, but no bitterness to speak of.

Has the mouthfeel of soda.

Drinkability is the highlight here. Could easily down a 12 of these.

TJBAIHWL, Sep 03, 2009
1.5/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This my friends, is the epitome of a bad beer. Low carbs, for those people who want to drink beer badly enough to sacrifice taste but are worried about their weight. Here's a solution, walk up three stairs, then walk down three stairs; there is 95 calories..

A: Pours a transparent straw color that produces a tiny head that doesn't even retain for more than 5 seconds. No lacing.

S: Nothingness. I think this beer should be called the Abyss. Cereal, corn, grains, no malts, no hops, nothing interesting, just like drinking a puree of corn flakes and adding a thimble full of alcohol.

MF/D: Over-fizzled carbonation, lightest body possible, metallic lingering finish, semi-dry.

Perhaps the worst "beer" I've consumed since Chelada. I mean, I'm not a hater on these styles necessarily, but come'on!! Draw the line somewhere! Miller/Bud/Coors have all created beers that are light and low in calories! How far do we have to go?

scottyshades, Aug 27, 2009
1.6/5  rDev -13%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Pours a ginger-ale color that is very pale. The first oz or so pours almost clear. Has a decent head at first, albeit a very thin one that is short lived.

S: Smells like sweet adjunct with a faint hoppiness. Faint smell overall though.

T: Tastes like nothing really. LIke carbonated soda water wit ha faint hop finish, but heavy emphasis on the faint.

M: Some crisp carbonation, but once again like soda water.

D: Easy to drink, in a volume sense, but I would rather have as little of this as possible. Skip the 95 calories of slightly flavored water and just have a nice refreshing glass of pure H20.

dpodratsky3, Aug 24, 2009
3.15/5  rDev +71.2%

I have had some of these sitting in the bottom shelf of a pantry since having a party. I have been doing renovations to my house for 9 months. The beer has to be at least that old - at room temperiture.

A - Virginia Slims style can, kind of cute. Pours very pale yellow, fizzy. Foam clings only to the edge of the glass forming a circle when you look down into it.

S - Cold, this beer has little smell. These beers are supposed to be consumed very cold. I don't want to smell it when it gets warm. We all know that smell.

T - The flavor is much more like carbonated water than beers I usually drink. But I think that is the point. This style is supposed to be "ultra" light. It's okay. I'm enjoying it. Nothing nasty. No off flavors. Must be the polysorbate-80 or something.

M - The beer actually has has some body, but not much. Again, I think that the style is intended to be this way.

D - Very drinkable. Good beer-bong fodder.

I drank this to find out weather the rest in my pantry are worth saving for my next party. No reason not to keep it.

WickedSluggy, Aug 22, 2009
1.65/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a very very pale yellow with (a vigorous pour) foamy white head that was gone in an instant. No lace.

Aroma: Ha! I kinda smell something beer like, a bit like sniffing a cap, but nothing else.

Taste is mild boiled grain and light watery malt/bitterness. No aftertaste.

Decent carbonation, very light bodied.

It is a ver very hot humid day today, so it went down easy and fast, but this is not anything I'd sit and sip (or even cook with). Why buy this crap?

OtherShoe2, Aug 22, 2009
2.4/5  rDev +30.4%

If you could imagine boiling corn and rice in the same pot then straining it and adding sugary seltzer to the water the corn and rice boiled in you would come close to this. however this is an utlra light beer coming in at 95 calories and is useful when trying to loose weight. Like I have been doing for the past few months and it has paid off considerably and it is easy to drink. However, it doesn't taste like much of anything but is an alternative to drinking a high abv, high calorie beer when trying to work out and loose weight. This is the best ultra light beer I have had to date

STEG, Aug 22, 2009
1.33/5  rDev -27.7%

Pours a see through yellow white color. The smell is of nothing, there is a hint of some type of grain. The taste is of nothing, but a barely there grain. The taste is watery, but at least not offensive. The mouthfeel is overly carbonated. Overall there is not much to this beer, it is pretty simple and weak all over, yet there is nothing offensive about it. It is really nothing to speak of.

goblue3509, Jul 31, 2009
2.17/5  rDev +17.9%

This pours the palest of straw colours. Almost devoid of colour. That doesn't bode well. Clear. Fluffy white head. Minimal retention.

There is a slight grainy aroma but that's it the smell went with the colour.

3 out of 3. No flavour either! Well done A-B. The brewers have obviously scene the Monty Python skit about American beer being like making love in a canoe and decided to make it true.

Perversely I have given this a very high drinkability rating because I think if I was after a beer to drink by the bucket until I was rotten drunk then this would be right up there. As it tastes of nothing it would be very hard to get sick of it.

Macca, Jul 02, 2009