1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob UltraMichelob Ultra

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
1.63/5  rDev -10.9%

pours a soapy albino/straw color...smells like water with a some beer spilled into it...taste is not bad...just isn't there...maybe a hint of cereal grains...what mouthfeel?

water is drinkable, too, but i can't say that as a beer this is drinkable. just because it isn't overtly offensive, it is in another sense. i guess technically and by law, this can be labeled as a 'beer'....

if anything, should've kept these in the ole lil 10 oz. cans...

it's hip. not hoppy.

it's another case of The Emperor's New Clothes. where? where?

at least this makes anything from their 'craft' series taste 'great'....but of course that's conditional as it gets!

mempath, Apr 06, 2009

I was curious...

Albino pale straw color with a fizzy white head that quickly does a dissapearing act. Giant bubbles.

Smells of sugary macro eh and sparkly cider.

Tastes like watered down apple juice. Not just weird but creepy drying aftertaste. I cannot stress the creepyness enough. Kinda refreshing though...but still really creepy.

As a runner, weightlifter, and beer drinker I am the target market for this stuff and you couldn't pay me to drink it. So who's buying this crap?

donkeyrunner, Apr 02, 2009
1.1/5  rDev -39.9%

Poured a very light golden color with a very little head that quickly disappeared. This was probably the lightest beer i've seen in a while. The smell was very little. I managed to get a bit of a grain smell with just a quick hint that it was a beer. Tasted a bit grainy with a light metallic taste. Mouthfull was very carbonated that left a dry finish. In my opinion this ultra light has very characteristics. Only beer I found in my sisters fridge, so i thought i'd give it a taste.

aval89, Mar 30, 2009
2.28/5  rDev +24.6%

Pours a very very pale straw watery color. Decent carbonation and no head. Smells like pee, with a little bit of sweet malt. Taste is not as bad as some other mainstream beers. It is somewhat sweet and that's about it, no real flavors that stand out, kind of malty, but maybe its more rice flavored. Of course if you add lots of lime juice and a little vodka it can be a decent mixed drink, good while mowing the lawn, but I would prefer something else.

Kromes, Mar 29, 2009
1.43/5  rDev -21.9%

I'm being kind with this review - This ranks as one of the worst beers I've ever had. I was at a party enjoying myself and reached for another cold one. Following drinking Michelob Ultra, I did not want to drink another beer.

A: pale gold color, nothing remarkable

S: corn and grain smell that isn't strong or impressive

T: watery taste, bland corn flavor

M: extremely carbonated

D: not if I had a choice

Overall: It was an unremarkable, bland beer that did not bring much flavor - Low ABV, carbonated watery taste, and there are better light beers out there. As someone else said, drinking it seemed to ask the question "what's the point"

Kopp, Mar 20, 2009
1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours a pale gold color with a thin one-finger head and lots of carbonation.

Aroma is full of corn/rice, grain and not much else. Seems rather bland. A bit sweet as well.

Taste is watery, thin and full of corn/rice. Not much else there for flavor.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering corn/rice flavors. Tongue dries up afterwards and not much to actually savor.

Trash. Good if you want to count calories but why buy something as cheap as this when you can settle for a pint of Guinness every now and then? There are plenty of beers that are light in alcohol and full of flavor. Avoid this crap.

Brad007, Mar 13, 2009
2.08/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours the most pale straw color I've ever seen. It's almost greenish. The head is small and short lived. Can't get much worse than this...I hope.

S: Almost scentless. All I can pick up is stale corn with no hint of hop or malt.

T: Weak corn on-top of water that may contain a hop pellet/barrel there's almost not maltiness to be found. Although this lacks a lot of flavor I don't find it awful at all, rather just a large lack of pleasantness.

Overall: Carbonation is standard for the style. As for drinkability, since I didn't find the taste horrible I can't put the drinkability very far down seeing as how drinking a case of this may be possible in an hour or two. If you care about calories more than flavor go for it.

AdmiralDiaz, Mar 11, 2009
2.7/5  rDev +47.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I am kinda surprised by the overall F here. It is nowhere near as bad as Busch, Coors Light and Natty light and it is MUCH better. It actually tastes like it has some malt and hops in it.

Not much, but some. In my opinion it is one of the better mass prodcued beers.

woodske1, Mar 03, 2009
2.35/5  rDev +28.4%

Michelob Ultra
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
Style: Light Lager
ABV: 4.20 %

Reviewed @ home 11/12/08, bottle>dimpled mug
Reviewed according to style, I refuse to slam BMC products out of style context!

A 3.0, very very light pale straw in color, poured to a clean nice 2 finger head - gone quick, reduced to an okay collar - wow this is a surprise.
S 1.5 - very faint malt/grain smell, faint hints on hops - but faint indeed
T 3.0, not bad, just not good - because not much taste at all.
MF 1.5 - very very thin. Watery. High carbo.
D - 2.0 - I guess it's "good" if you like this sorta thing for light beer. But it's shy on taste, mouthfeel and ABV - so it's leaves thinking - what's the point?

unclejimbay, Feb 28, 2009
1.83/5  rDev 0%

Drank Dec. 27. From bottle into shaker glass. Very little color, very little flavor. Looked at the last sip or two and wondered if it was water or beer waiting for me. Low carb, low everything. Overpriced in the premium beer market. Almost as bad as Bud Light. I prefer Miller Lite over this anyday. Bad beer, and does not deserve the Michelob name attached to it.

OzarkElmo, Feb 16, 2009
2.2/5  rDev +20.2%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass. The wife bought this for herself, but for some reason, I can't resist trying and reviewing.

A- Pours incredibly clear....almost no color, save a mild golden hue. Huge pure white head, which fades rapidly to but a thin cap.

S- Bizarre. Slightly metallic, with a hint of crisp corn juice.

T- Almost nothing. Like water with a slight twist of lemon added. No sweetness and no bitterness. I'm actually amazed that there is alcohol in this at all. That being said, I don't think the "1" is appropriate here; this isn't awful flavor, it just simply isn't flavor at all, which is something distinctly different from "awful." Of course, there isn't anything "good" here either...

M- Crisp like a drink of cold water. As easy going down as one would expect water to be.

D- Well, this is hard to quantify. There is nothing good about the taste or smell other than that they aren't offensive...this is a "get drunk low-cal style" only beer.

Future outlook: Nah...not unless I'm looking to turn back the clock to college times and get drunk on alcoholic water.

DoctorDog, Jan 31, 2009

My Tuesday night drinking partner's libation of choice. On a dare (and trying to give my taste buds a break from Terminal Gravity IPA) I decided to try one bottle. In the end, I came up with a rather astute observation for my buddy: Why bother??

I understand carb and calorie counting, but I'd rather become a Belgian Monk :) then to drink this god-awful swill. The anti-beer for any self-respecting BA. Ugh.

jdense, Jan 30, 2009
2.33/5  rDev +27.3%

A drinkable beer who's major advantage is a low carbohydrate count. Will not fill you up no matter how much you drink. It is average in almost every category for its type(appearance, smell, taste.) Better than many lite beers but not overly impressive. Head does not last. It is best drank ice cold on a hot summer day.

Nascartailgatefa, Jan 29, 2009
1.65/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I don't think I hate this brew as much as the rest of you. It's not at the top of my list but could be worse. Color and appearance is pretty average for the style. Flavor is where you can start the bitching. I think someone before me said it is kinda like a ginger ale. I can taste that now that i think about it. Nothing too special here just a below average brew.

Rhynes2, Jan 25, 2009
1.85/5  rDev +1.1%

I'm a type 1 diabetic so I drink a lot of Mich Ultra because I can avoid taking insulin because of the minimal amounts of carbohydrates, but I'll be the first to admit that it's awful. It tastes like water and you can drink about six of them before you even notice that you were drinking a beer. I don't think that it's really worth rating properly, but here goes:

Pours light yellow, extremely carbonated, with a frothy white head that dissipates quickly.

There's really not much smell to speak of because nothing really stands out. If I had to guess I would say that its a combination of copper like metal and corn adjunct.

Tastes of carbonated water with hints of beer in it. Nothing really stands out in particular aside from a lot of carbonation.

This is another one of those beers that is nice to have on a hot summer day when it's ice cold. I drink it often because it prevents me from having to keep going to the bathroom to take shots, which can be embarrassing if I'm trying to socialize. When I'm by myself at my house I would never.

KBoudreau66, Jan 24, 2009
1.83/5  rDev 0%

Appeared more like ginger ale than beer. Faintly yellow with a coarse white head that dropped out of contention faster than the 2008 Detroit Lions. Bumped it up from a dead-last 1.0 to a 1.5 because it was slightly amusing to watch head on a "beer" drop faster than it seemed gravity itself could pull it down.

Not a hint of hops aroma, and even the corn character was barely noticable. Flavor was one with the aroma, more noticeable for what was not there than what was, left a slightly dry, alcoholic aftertaste with an astringent bitter edge to it. I suppose this stuff is really quite drinkable because there's so little to it, and as long as it is ice-cold your taste buds will stay numb. If it's warm, toss it back like a grenade that lands in your foxhole with the pin out, or fall on it to save your friends.

MillRat, Dec 28, 2008
2.1/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a clear, pale yellow with slight head and absolutely no retention. Also, of course, there's no lacing. Smells of what you would expect - adjunct in a lager. I guess it fits this great style. Smooth and crisp is the best I can say about this beer. Tastes, bland (watered down), mostly adjunct in lager. Overall, not very good at all.

Tone, Dec 17, 2008
1.3/5  rDev -29%

I have to thank (or curse) my wife's friend Jenny for leaving this at my house. God knows that's the only way I would get to review it.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours the most translucent shad of yellow I have ever seen pour out of a beer bottle. It really looks like yellow, bubbly water. The only thing that I can give it credit for is the fact that the pour produced a huge, 3 finger white head. When looked down from the top of the glass, it really looks like a pretty beer. The smell is really watery with just a hint of corn. The taste is, well, canned corn water. The mouthfeel is non-existent. Just like water. If you like drinking water, stick with the tap, if you like drinking beer, move on to something else. Either way, avoid this beer.

hwwty4, Dec 08, 2008
1.1/5  rDev -39.9%

Do I even need to say anything? Well I have to have two hundred fifty characters, so I guess I will. In all seriousness, this is made for a female to look good in the bar with. A trendy, I'm drinking a beer like the guys kinda thing. Not saying women don't drink beer, but most usally have this kind of thing in hand.

johnnybgood1999, Dec 05, 2008
1.27/5  rDev -30.6%

Wife came home with a 6-pack. Looks, smells, and tastes like a watered-down Budweiser. To recap: clear yellow pour. Sickening corn syrup nose. Watery, beer-like taste with straw and sugar. Upside: you can drink a ton since it is as close to water as you can get. Downside: you have to drink a ton of this to like it. A travesty.

magictrokini, Dec 04, 2008

This beer is bland and just plain awful.

Pours a very light watery golden yellow with thin fizzy white head that quickly dissapears. Aroma consists mostly of corn and frat house hallways. Very watered down with extremely bland corn flavor. Very light and nasty the whole way through. Disgusting!

corby112, Nov 27, 2008
1.73/5  rDev -5.5%

Had one of these while tailgaiting after the Yeungling ran out.
Imagine any other Light Lager's color and this one is lighter and thinner than those. There was something that resembled a head. But it left too quickly for me to be sure.
The aroma is not offensive. I'll give it that. In fact I don't think there was an aroma.
Again the taste wasn't bad. This has a similar flavor to water.
The mouthfeel had the viscosity of water vaper.
This was not a bad tasting beer. In fact this is a good beer for people who don't like beer.

wcudwight, Nov 08, 2008
2.05/5  rDev +12%

Beer was a very light, almost pale yellow with a big head. No lacing left behind.Smell was fairly nondescript smelling like maybe corn flakes soaked in water. I did note a slight hop smell, but nothing that I could consider malt.
Taste was in a word...bad. No feel what so ever. Just a carbonated, very, very week beer flavor that left me wondering why.
These were free at the time, but I must say, as a beer lover, I switched to coffee after two of these.

dmamiano, Nov 02, 2008
1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

I had this at a friend's house. The friend, one of my very best, is very concerned about calories, so this is all he had. This does not really look, taste, smell, or feel like a real beer. The color is exceptionally pale. A slight malt meets your nose, but dies after a sip or two. I honestly couldn't really taste this beverage, but I admit I've hardened my taste buds over the years of sucking down lots of strong Italian espresso and bitter pale ales. The texture is like carbonated water, and so it is a thirst quencher. Michelob is producing some nice beers these days, but this one is good only for being polite to a close friend with calorie sensitivity.

jushoppy2beer, Oct 30, 2008
2.73/5  rDev +49.2%

Overview: for those of you on Adkins or South Beach, this is really the only beer out there for you.

When one thinks of "lite" beers, this truly fits the bill. Thin, watery and highly-carbonated, is really is about the only beer you can drink if you are on Adkins or South Beach.

The high carbonation, taste similar to our ubiquitous American lager/pilsner and quenching abilities make it drinkable after workouts or hard yard work. I would strongly suggest you drink it ice cold and quickly - do not let it warm up one iota.

Therefore, this beer does have a place on the great beer shelf of modern life. This is not a great beer, but it is better, much better, than the flavored Ultras.

My "Marge" likes this beer and drinks it regularly and she is a bona-fide expert on European Weisse beers.

ProfessorHomer, Oct 28, 2008