Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
1.06/5  rDev -42.7%

Appearance: This beer is the proverbial light yellow urine coloration. The head is thick and towering at first but resolves fast. Rapid bubbling of carbonation rides to the top of my glass.

Smell: Clean cooked vegetables. Nothing else noted in the aroma.

Taste: Very little in the way of flavor a flash of cooked grain and done.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: This is the most watery beer I have ever sampled. No taste, no smell, stinging carbonated water so you know this has got to be some drinkable beer. Yummy!

1.59/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A friend bought a pitcher for the band last night.

A: The beer is crystal clear and an extremely light shade of yellow. There is an inch of head that quickly fades, leaving no lacing.

S: There is no aroma. Zilch. I can't honestly say the aroma is repugnant, as it seemingly does not exist.

T: The beer has no virtually no flavor whatsoever, for better or worse. There's really nothing more to say.

M: It's extremely watery. In fact, it's the most watery beer I have ever had.

D: I would rather drink tap water. This beer is completely futile. It doesn't taste bad - it doesn't taste like anything. Why waste money on a product that has nothing to offer? To create the perception that you're taking care of your physique and/or being responsible by choosing low calorie, faddish, flavorless macro swill? I'll pass.

1.81/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pale yellow straw color with a thin white head and a little lacing. Smells of corn and some grain, maybe a little malt. Tastes of sweetness from the malts, and clean crisp from a lack of anything else other than water. Mouthfeel is really thin. Drinkability is okay.

1.42/5  rDev -23.2%

The mass market is full of light beers, and this Michelob Ultra fits in with most of them. Not many calories, not much taste. This bottle has a born on date and I am well within the freshness date so I can't attribute any of the beer characteristics to being old. The pour resulted in a little head that was gone in seconds, leaving a ring with light lacing. The color is light amber, rating a 2 on the SRM chart. So far this is the lightest colored beer I have rated. Not much to smell, a little malt and yeast, maybe some corn. Tastes like sweet malt, and corn, but very little flavor at all. Mouthfeel is like water, it guess that is because it is mostly water, leaves my mouth feeling dry. Because I drink a beer for the flavor and this one doesn't have much of one, I will stay far away from this brew.

Pours foamy then dissipates. Smells of chemistry class and despair. Tastes like lack of self-esteem. Eats hope. I do wish it were able to clean drains. What to do with the other five bottles otherwise? Somehow salty. Perhaps we can start rumors about ingredients. "What's that you say is in the soylent, Charlton? ... No, the green one."

1.06/5  rDev -42.7%

Reviewed from notes. Bottom of the Barrel here we come!

Pours with the tiniest bit of yellow color. Smells of faint grain and a bit of cardboard. Taste is a bit more grain, and by grain, I probably mean the flavor and complexity of plain white rice. Feel is very, very light and overly carbonated. Drinks like carbonated water and tastes a bit worse. That about sums it up.

1.35/5  rDev -27%

Pale yellow color, slightly golden, topped with a pure white, not-very-sticky foam. I've seen Sprite leave more lacing than this. Nose is ever-so-lightly beery, with notes of sour grain/DMS and a hint of fruit. Very weak.

Tastes of sour grain husk and light bubble-gum fruitiness. Very artificial. If there weren't the sour fermentation notes, this could be Pellegrino. Therefore, both the flavor and mouthfeel score stink. Finishes exactly like soda water: clean and dry.

This is a terrible beer.

2.45/5  rDev +32.4%

Poured into a pilsner glass.

A - Light yellow in color, with a slight amount of foam that settles quickly.

S - Nothing of note. Can barely smell anything that resembles beer.

T - Its refreshing, so I'll give it that much. But if you are looking for flavor you won't find any.

M - Okay. Not sure what to say here. There is some carbonation. But essentially its bland.

D - Yeah it is drinkable. But why would you have a bunch of these? I'll take one good craft beer over a few of these anytime.

1.57/5  rDev -15.1%

found this little gem in the back of my fridge, figured it was worth a review so here goes.

poured from a 12oz bottle out of the fridge into a pint glass. pours a super clear piss yellow. looks like my pee after a long night of drinking. 2 fingers of head that literally disappeared within seconds.

a tiny bit of bannana like lager funk, but nothing like a hefe or anything, and a little skunky. thats about it.

tastes of carbonated water and a touch of lager funk, thats about it.

super light watery feel, way too much carbonation.

drinkability is all this beer has. its easy to drink if you dont mind the total lack of taste. tastes of water, and is about as easy to drink as water. actually, water is easier to drink.

as far as light lagers go, there are much better choices out there. as my grandfather liked his beer, a raw egg or some salt would make this beer better. i think flying dog said it best, good people drink good beer, and this is far from good beer...

1.42/5  rDev -23.2%

consumed 03-30-2009, 12oz bottle into pint glass.

appearance: poured a very light golden color with a little head that quickly dissipated. This was probably the lightest beer i've seen in a while.

smell: there was very little aroma. I managed to get a bit of a grain smell with just a quick hint that it was a beer.

taste: a bit grainy with a slight metallic taste.

mouthfull: very carbonated that left a dry finish. In my opinion this ultra light has very characteristics.

drinkability: the beers best quality, if you can drink water you can drink this beer.

1.9/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: I couldn't give this appearance a 1.0, because there almost is no appearance. There are lots of bubbles, no head, and only the palest *hint* of yellow amidst this clear concotion. I am not exaggerating, when pouring from the bottle, it was crystal clear, gaining its ghostly hue only in the glass.

S: Again, there is virtually no smell, except for a really out-of-place bubblegum(?!) scent. Not unpleasant; just absent.

T: Lots of carbonation, a hint of sourness, and then nothing. Honestly, you might as well be drinking seltzer water. If your water just must have alcohol content, then try adding a splash of vodka. Honestly, I've tried it, and it's more interesting than this beer. Still, I just can't justify an "Awful" rating for something that barely exist. Wow. Where do the 95 calories in this beer come from?

M: Watery, with a dose of carbonation. Not impressive. Not good.

D: I was obliged to score this one highly, because this is almost as drinkable as beer gets...very easy to swig and swallow. Still, I don't *want* to drink it. This beer is worth a try, just to marvel at its accomplished nothingness. Not recommended.

1.8/5  rDev -2.7%

Served from tap into a Magic Hat shaker. Pours golden yellow with a minimal amount of white head. There was no lacing evident at all on this one. The aroma was comprised of malt and a nutty note. The flavor was of malt, wheat, nutty, and water. It was light on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this brew was just blah... Short reply would be to say that this one sucks, unless of course you are trying to sober up (which I was).

1.38/5  rDev -25.4%

Are you kidding me?? I refuse to give this "beer product" a proper review. Refuse to give it the dignity. So here's my review.
It made me puke. Literally. I chucked after like 3 or 4.
Looks like some type of beer and tastes like a "beer product" of some sort.
It's carbonated and had a head for a few seconds. No lacing to speak of.
What the heck kind or stuff are we making here in the USA??? Sell all out for a few less calories?? That's the only possible reason they make this real swill. For idiots who think drinking a lighter, lower alcohol beer(which will make you drink more servings) is the fix if one is a little overweight. Bull!!!
Forget that logic. Drink regular strength, quality beer and enjoy it. You'll drink fewer of the quality beers to get a mellow buzz and feel better in the AM.
F-!!!

2.34/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank this from bottle at many bars, restuarants and college parties. no sustainable head, pale gold color with a terrible white head.. The aroma is light, not super skunky as this is mostly water. The taste is all water. Nothing worth ever drinking.

1.78/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a clean, pale straw color with minimal plume of white head despite many bubbles. Smell is almost non-existant, faint dried hay and slight corn. Taste is rather non existant too except for the light touch of boiled corn on the finnish. Extremely light, very watery and highly carbonated. The only positive i can say is that the off flavors were kept to a minimum, but so were all of the flavors.

1.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Review from notes from a while ago.

Poured a clear, bubbly deep straw/light gold color with a short lived fizzy white head. Dissipated and left with a clear yellow tinted liquid. A light metallic nose and a touch of corn. Not much else can be discerned. Very fizzy. I'm not sure of where the drinkability comes into play here; it's too carbonated for me. The light body doesn't support it well. Flavor (or what little bit of corniness) dies quickly. I did not find this drinkable. In fact, I ended up pouring it out after a few sips.

2.55/5  rDev +37.8%

Slim can (like a Red Bull can) poured into a pint glass.

A: Looks like carbonated morning urine. Fizzed like a soda.

S: Very light malt and not much else except typical adjunct grains like corn and rice.

T: Actually a lot better than I imagined, but that's not saying much at all. It's hard to pick out anything offensive, but it's hard to pick out anything at all. Almost tastes like sparkling water with a light beer mixed in.

D: On the level of ballgame beers, this one is definitely drinkable. However, someone who appreciates craft beer like most of the reviewers on here will dog this beer even in this one category in which it actually fairs pretty well. This is the kind of beer you buy in a 12 pack.

Value: $8.99 for a 12? Not bad to get for a party with some people who aren't "beer drinkers."

All in all this beer has an unfairly low rating on here in my opinion. Even though I'd never choose this beer, it's not a drain pour. It's just BARELY beer.

1.85/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle at a roadside cafe in Choteau, Montana. While my mom and her friend chat, I get to do this!

This beer pours a clear, super-pale straw colour, with lots of thinly foamy, and yet creamy off-white head, which leaves very sparse specks of lace around the glass as it quickly settles.

It smells of gritty, grainy corn grist, spare florals, and soft (yay, I suppose) nail polish remover - all dunked in a big ol' tub of mineral water. The taste is more soft corny grain, the liquid version of corn flakes, but with less flavour, weak mineral spring notes, and very tame (yet I seem to be mentioning them) cooked veggies.

The carbonation is a bit strong in its swirling frothiness, the body light even for the low bar set by the style, and watery, with a cheap airy smoothness. It finishes with a thin corn sweetness, and general vegetal earthiness. It's just missing Fire!

Ethereal, mildness incarnate, generally inoffensive, and a hair below table water in thirst quenching effectiveness. I'm surprised that I got carded when I ordered this, for multiple reasons, none of them all that good. One of the spokes of that boundary and cliff edge pushing wheel that the big boys of beer can ill afford to not pursue, apparently.

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

Appearance: Flat, yellow, carbonated water.

Smell: Metallic grains and lots of carbon gas.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Lots of metallic water and some stale beery grains.

Drinkability: Decently refreshing at a hot ballgame.

Overall: Bud Light's actually better.

This is nothing but carbonated water with a little alcohol mixed in. I really don't even consider this beer a 'social' beer. It's a disappointment. Michelob does have several other selections that are respectable. I consider this one to have one of the worst taste's of any beer I've tried.

1.63/5  rDev -11.9%

I had one with My Battalion Commander LTC Pitt. He is always watching his weight and gives up his taste and his manliness by drinking this malted soda water that is pawned off onto to the consumer as a beer.

A: Very light straw color. Damn near being water. Overly carbonated.

S: Yeasty and slightly metallic.

T: Bland and watery. Slight hints of a sweet malt flavor.

M: Watery and thin. It is like drinking a seltzer.

D: If your objective is to look cool you failed. If your objective is to get drunk you failed. If your objective is to look like you are on a diet than you have succeeded. It is not drinkable and will leave you feeling empty and lonely as people start calling you a fag.

1.75/5  rDev -5.4%

Crystal clear and very pale yellow. A fizzy white cap disappeared almost instantly. Very faint cereal grain aroma, slight fruit, minerals, otherwise the smell is nearly nonexistent. Not much in the way of bitterness, light apple and grain, metallic finish. Very light bodied, slipping into the watery category by the finish. Quite dry with coarse carbonation. Can't say that I enjoyed this at all.

1.59/5  rDev -14.1%

Serving: 12 oz bottle into an ale glass.

We used a 12 pack of this "beer" as an ingredient in a vodka punch. So I decided to review one for the lulz.

A: Extremely pale yellow. Poured with a tremendously fizzy head which dissipated after 5 or 6 seconds.

S: Faintly grainy with some yeasty smell to it. Doesn't smell BAD per se but there is nothing really remarkable about it.

T: Almost no taste whatsoever. The slightest bitterness gives way to a very slight grainy taste. I'm tempted to say that this tasted bad but there is almost no taste at all. It's reminiscent of flavored soda water.

M: Exactly like soda water.

D: I suppose if you were really thirsty this might be okay, since it's a close relative to soda. Otherwise, avoid.

1.25/5  rDev -32.4%

[Appearance]: Very pale yellow color, clear. Good amount of carbonation. No head, no lacing whatsoever. Looks like piss and club soda mix together.
[Smell]: Not much aroma, perhaps some adjunct.
[Taste]: Not much flavor at all, but I could detect some adjunct, but otherwise its very bland and watery.
[Mouthfeel]: Watery, very carbonated. Finish is clean maybe some dry aftertaste.
[Drinkability]: It's so bland and watery that I couldn't finish drinking the whole beer.

1.92/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance - A light yellow color that you can see through. The head faded quickly and there was almost no lacing left on the glass after I finished the beer. It looked like most other typical macro-brew beers like a Bud Light.

Smell - A faint lemon citrus smell over powered by a corn/metallic odor.

Taste - Lacking in taste. I really tried to pull the flavor out of it. There is a light lemon taste, emphasis on the light. A corny malty taste hits your tongue and fades quickly. For the most part it was like drinking carbonated water. The taste grew on me as I drank it but it was nothing impressive.

Mouthfeel - When I first drank the beer there was a lot of carbonation that impressed me at first but about 1/2 way down it was almost all gone and by the last few sips it was all gone. The taste leaves a bitter feeling in your mouth and not a good bitter feeling either. Its like drinking a bitter tonic water until the bubbles are gone and then its just a bitter water.

Drinkability - I agree with the other reviews that say, "the beer is drinkable but why bother?" and I disagree at the same time. This beer is light and doesn't kill you (4.20 ABV) so you can down it no problem but I did not find the experience all that enjoyable. My stomach rumbled when I finished it and I couldn't think how anyone could drink another unless they were already pretty wasted or had a huge beer belly

Serving type - Draft (on-tap)

Not the worst beer I've ever had but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch