Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
1.53/5  rDev -16.4%

Hmmm.

Drank this because a chick bought a pitcher and the service was terrable. Next time I will wait.

It's like club soda with a twist of beer. Not much color, not much flavor. Not bite of hop.

Not really much to say about this stuff. It's pretty popular with girls...

Tang07, Sep 30, 2004
2.35/5  rDev +28.4%

I thought I rated this one pretty fairly. Taking into consideration what kind of beer it is and toward whom it is marketed. I didn't give it lousy ratings because is didn't have a coffee like smell to it or have a caramel-like taste. I gave it lousy ratings because even considering what kind of beer it is, it's not very good. Not total crap, but you can see "total crap" from where this beer stands. This is with out question, the absolute lightest coloured beer I have ever seen in my life. It's almost clear! Like watered down ginger ale. Typical adjuct lager/old damp dish rag smell. Sorry lacing. Tasted about like someone dumped a shot glass full of MGD into a big glass of seltzer water. Very carbonated. The only reason I gave drinkability 3.0 is because you could drink gallons of this stuff, there's nothing to it.
Here's a piece of advice. If you're on the low-carb kick and you still want some kind of brew, do yourself a favour and pick up some Aspen Edge from Coors. It's still beer flavoured water, but it has alot more flavour than this stuff has.

SilentSabre, Sep 25, 2004
1.48/5  rDev -19.1%

Presentation: 12 oz brown twist off bottle with a “Born On Date” on the neck. Pours an extremely pale yellow color. Very clear, little carbonation. The only saving grace was the tall head, though it disappeared within a minute. Aroma seems typical of an adjunct, a corn-type smell to it, but it smells almost stale.

Very little flavor to it at all. I'd say there's a bit of a hop flavor in the background, but nothing discernable. Feels watery and thin, though crisp. Feels almost like a sparkling water.

While this beer would be extremely drinkable by the sheer fact that it would do down like water, I couldn't see being able to drink this often, or more than in a setting anyway, if that. And, yes, this beer was proof that my favorite kind of beer is free and cold.

Rio, Sep 05, 2004
1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

This might be the worst beer I have ever had. There is no taste or mouthfeel. This is a beer that was created by a marketing company. I hate this mouthful of shait.

Here's the premise: If you are active --carbs are making you fat !!Beer has lots of carbs ! Drink this low carb beer and it fits in perfectly with your active lifestyle and you will stay thin and beautiful--like you think you are now.

Here are some characteristics -- carbonated, watery crap flavored like bad beer.

rousee, Aug 26, 2004
1.53/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours like a typical pilsner but lighter. Reminds me of piss after I have put down a few juggs of water. Slight color, lots of carbonation. I guess they took out carbs and added water and carbonation in its place. Imagine Keystone Light mixed 50/50 with water without the aluminum can taste. If you can imagine that, you hit this beer right on. Who would pay for this? I'd rather drink half of any other beer than drink a full one of this if I was truely in it for watching my carb intake. Does anybody else realize that alcohol is one of the simplest sugars...worse on you than sugar. Hmm, don't ever buy this, or even drink it when offered. I once had this on ice...yes poured over ice, horrid.

dren, Aug 23, 2004
1.05/5  rDev -42.6%

Since 1986 I have had Michelob Light on tap at home. Up until December 2003 when I got on a Guiness kick I wouldn't go to a bar or eatery that didn't serve Mick Light. While on the Guiness wagon a friend suggested I try a Rogue Shakespere stout. It took a half and hour for me to get it down. My taste buds were in shock. Too many years of Clydesdale urine I guess. That was then. Now, nine months and 350+ beers later, along with a trip to Belgium, I can't beleive that I was brainwashed by the billion dollar ad campaign as mentioned on the back of an Arrogant Bastard ale.
I was at a party and was given a 'beer'. To say it was horrible would be a compliment. After asking, I was told that I had a Michelob Ultra. "Pretty good, huh?" , the guy said as he served up another to some poor brainwashed soul. My taste buds were in shock again. Thank God I have good gag reflexes too.
Ultra can't be a beer. It's fizzy something, but I don't know what. There is no malt, no hop, no taste. I'm thinking that there's water in it, that's why it's wet, but I can't say if the water is potable because I could only take a few sips and felt my body going into full regection mode. I left the party saying I had other commitments and proceeded home to a Rochefort 10. God bless the monks.
After the Ultra experience I've come to two conclusions.
1. The mentality of society has got to be regressing. What could possibly be the only other reason someone would buy this ' yellow fizzy whatever'.
2. A billion dollar ad campaign really does work. A couple of frogs talking to each other. A herd of horses playing football. The next thing you know Ultra is the next best thing since sliced bread. PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS!!!
Here's my plan. I shit on the roof of my car and then buff it all over the damn thing. If anyone asks, I tell them it's Shine-ola and I'm the only supplier. If all goes as planned, two months later I'm rich. Ya gotta love stupid people. Anheuser and Busch do.

cro250klr, Jul 12, 2004
2.33/5  rDev +27.3%

Born on dated 5-17-04

This beer poured a pale-pale yellow, very watered downed yellow in color. It was crystal clear and super carbonated, tons of dancing bubbles (probably one of the most carbonated beers that I have come across to date). After a semi-vigorous pour it produced a fairly thick foam, between 1 and 2 inches high. It was not to dense, more on the light and airy side (cloud like). It was pure white in color, and had a lasting power that was fairly decent; it finally fell to nothing around half glass. There was some lace present in the beginning but it ran down the sides and disappeared faster then the head. The aroma was on the light side, hints of grains, husks (corn) and a light malt, more sweet then malty. All and all the aroma was nothing outstanding but was crisp, light and airy, like the head that was produced. The taste was allot like the aromas, light, airy, and on the sweet side. Flavors of sweet light malt dominated along with a grainy husky corn presence all through the mouth from first sip on the lips and tongue to it made its way down the back of the throat. There was a slight aftertaste of some sweetness and grains, but it quickly faded. It was very light in body. Over all impression of this beer, it is a good beer compared to most of its competitors, nothing much as far as aromas and tastes. It leaves nothing to make you want to come back for more. But I can say it is a crisp, clean, refreshing beer that on a hot day did its job. I swiped this one from my dad’s case that we keep for him for my house because he helps out so much, and I can honestly say, his stash is safe from me, I will not be raiding it.

Jarod, Jul 11, 2004
1.25/5  rDev -31.7%

Morbid curiosity drove me to try a bottle, and nearly killed me. It smells vaguely like beer but the resemblance ends there. It's sharp and fizzy and thin, with a harsh, almost soapy taste. If you think of it as mineral water, it's not so bad. Considering that it's obviously filtered to death, what the hell is in this stuff? Less than half a bottle gave me a vise-clencher of a headache and a queasy gut.

Never again.

gentlebubbles, Jul 03, 2004
2.4/5  rDev +31.1%

Color is almost totally lacking, just a hint of pale yellow. Some white foam, but quickly disappears. The aroma is mild: fruity, apple is hinted at, and the initial taste is harsh. A hint of malt, almost no hops – or flavor. Like a friend of mine said, why would anyone drink this when there are pilsners available? The flavor is more than “limited,” it is almost undetectable. This will definitely be my last Ultra.

palliko, Jun 25, 2004

Why?
This spits in the face of beer heritage. Beer is not meant to be like this, and if you are drinking this to lose weight, you are not forgiven.
Plus, it was one of the first indication of the low carb trend, so this beer has a special place in Hell.
Anyways, pale yellow, with little white head, no aroma, no flavor, no body. Thin and flavorless, mostly carbonation flavor.
Would make a good fix if you ran out of soda water for scotch and soda.

nortmand, Jun 04, 2004
1.6/5  rDev -12.6%

Well at the father in laws house and of course they are on the Atkins craze, so I decided to have one. Pours a very straw, very light light yellow, almost more clear than yellow with a carbonation head that fizzles down like carbonated beverages. The smell is very faint and clean, slight corn and grain. The taste is very light, it did feel crisp in the mouth but little flavor that said drink me. I would not drink this again ever, I just wish this low carb craze will go away. Here is the crazy thing, this sells for 5 bucks a sixer, for a buck more you can get great lagers.

beertaster13, May 31, 2004
1.38/5  rDev -24.6%

Got a sixer of this just for something to do. Pours ultra pale, like watered down bud light. Taste is non-existent. I'm not a big fan of this low-carb fad that's sweeping the beer industry, but if you are gonna hop on that bandwagon, grab some Aspen Edge, it's smoother and less offensive..

cptnjck101, May 28, 2004
2.05/5  rDev +12%

My mother is on the Atkin's diet, so she is trying this beer. I figured I'd have one just for the sake of reviewing.

Appearance- Extremely pale, looks like someone added water to a Coors Light

Smell- Typical macro lager smell, nothing special

Taste- Too light, not any flavor to speak of, not offensive though

Mouthfeel- Not bad, smooth

Drinkability- I wouldn't drink this again, but it wasn't so terrible as to make me loath Michelob Ultra. Its just too light to have any personality.

Gagnonsux, May 25, 2004
1.27/5  rDev -30.6%

330ml bottle

Pours with a colourless body, fairly heavy carbonation and a fuzzy whispy head which doesnt stay around for long

Smell, is this a beer? Almost nothing comes off this, smells like the unfermented aroma of becks non alcoholic

Taste, sickening dryness, tastes with fizzy water, not much else

I hope that this low-carb thing doesnt become any bigger, and I hope it dies like all bad ideas should

cypressbob, May 15, 2004
1.43/5  rDev -21.9%

I have a friend who drinks this stuff religiously, so I finally gave in and bummed a taste off of her, in exchange for some of my blind faith. As she was gagging, I had to check to see if I somehow made a mistake and picked up a bottle of water because this had absolutely no taste.
Well, maybe not no taste. A bit of corn/rice adjunct and carbonation, but even less than bud light. No bitterness, no hops, no real beer taste. Here's my theory on how they actually make Michelob Ultra... they take a vat of carbonated water, add yellow food coloring, through in some corn husks and let it soak just long enough to get that taste, bottle it, label it low carb and it's on its way to the health conscious women of America.

MattFrenzy, May 09, 2004
1.4/5  rDev -23.5%

This beer poured a crystal clear, sepia toned, yellow body with a fluffy white head.

The nose was almost none existent. Corn, rice, that’s it.

The taste was carbonated water. Period. Maybe a very slight corn sweetness. Very fine bubbles. No hop taste. No alcohol taste (though it does start to take effect eventually). Slight slight corn or rice malty flavor. Basically it tastes like corn flavored carbonated water.

Why waste money on a 6 pack of this when you can just get bottled water. Seriously sad beer. I will give it credit that it has no off flavors like some macros; it’s very quaffable, but still…. I kept taking sip after sip and huge sniffs of the nose writing this review and all I had written for 10 minutes was “carbonated water”

taez555, May 09, 2004
1.1/5  rDev -39.9%

appearance: golden
smell: better than taste...only slightly awful
taste: distinct flavor is chemical - like artificial rice. No wait...maybe they use water from a dog's bowl?
mouthfeel: Others are thinner and less distinct
impressions: Atkins beer? That makes this a great excuse for kicking that diet.

*This is truly the worst lager I've ever had*

skaughty, Apr 27, 2004
1.25/5  rDev -31.7%

This beer is like sex in a canoe-it's fu**ing near water. Pours a pale, pale yellow, (almost clear) with little to no head. I have had bottled water with more taste than this garbage. No smell to speak of, mouthfeel is non existent. I can only give a higher mark for drinkability simply because the stuff goes down so easy, but so does water. Ultra is a fitting name for this beer, it ultra SUCKS.

Trentonator, Apr 22, 2004
3.33/5  rDev +82%

This was a very pale yellow color and very clear. Thin film of a head and left no lace on the glass. The aroma is lemony sour and a little bit musty. Interesting. The taste is surprisingly sweet and actually had some flavor. I was expecting water. Very low bitterness, really, no hop presence. There’s a fruity sweetness and a fine carbonation that tickles the tongue. Not surprisingly, this beer is really light with not much body. Almost none. Overall this is a pretty refreshing light beer. Lacks any kind of depth, but on the surface is light and lemony, and actually becomes more watery as the beer warms up. Went down very easy along with the hot wings I was eating.

Not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.

pezoids, Apr 15, 2004
1.43/5  rDev -21.9%

Just got back from drinking some great brews in Oregon and decided I need to cleanse the palate with a Michelob Ultra left in my fridge. It cleaned me out alright; about halfway through my stomach started rumbling and I was running to sit on the john as my bowels purged themselves. For all purposes, there is no smell and this beer has a salty flavor to it. It feels like it fizzes when it hits my tongue. Only good thing is if I really had to or really wanted to I coud probably drink a lot of these.

MuddyFeet, Mar 13, 2004

Here I am at a gallery opening and I'm reviewing beer. What has the world come to?
Anyway, among the really good beers that I have been drinking for the past hour now, I had to try the infamous Mic Ultra. Of all the beers in the world, this one should be casted away to some island. Even Crazy Ed's Cave Creek is better than this because it's original. This is a joke. It has a super pale transparent yellow colour with no head. The smell was non-exsistant as was the taste. Obviously cutting carbs means cutting taste and quality.

CBFanWish, Mar 12, 2004
1.15/5  rDev -37.2%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle, into a little pilsner glass. The color was a VERY pale yellow, with a quickly dissipating head. The smell was a barely noticable sorta-malt. The taste was basically nonexistant...basically like drinking seltzer with some sort of beer extract flavor. Mouthfeel was thin. As for drinkability, not one I'm ever gonna have again.

Consider this research for academic purposes. I've come up with my own marketing slogans, though: "The Beer to Have When you Aren't Drinking Beer!", not to mention "Lose the Carbs AND the Taste!". Needless to say, now that I've encountered the enemy, I'll never have this one again...if I go on a diet, I'll give up beer first.

beergeek279, Mar 02, 2004
2.15/5  rDev +17.5%

First, I should say that I'm an aspiring beer snob who has been forced to go on a low-carbohydrate diet. I had been drinking Coors Light and Miller Light, but could not pass up the 2.6 carbs offered by Michelob Ultra. Michelob Ultra is by no means a craft beer. Heck, it has trouble stacking up to most national brews. But the main reason I judged this beer so low is because it's lacking in just about every department. It poors a faint yellow, with a short-lived head. The bouquet is pretty much non-existent (smells like a dried empty beer bottle). The taste is faint, but drinks easily.

I had hoped that Michelob Ultra would be the brew that I could use to introduce my wife to beer. But, after gagging on half a sip, she commented that it "tasted like her parents' bar used to smell". I suppose that if the daughter of former bar-owners doesn't like beer by mid-life, chances are she never will.

It took me a long time to admit publicly that I like the BeeGees. Admitting to buying and drinking Michelob Ultra is just as difficult for me. But I will continue, until Sam Adams comes out with a 2.6 carb beer (hopefully better than their current light offering).

LiquidBreadMan, Feb 28, 2004
1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours the palest of all possible yellows, it is almost water color.

Smell is almost nothing, faint sweetness and grain smell.

Taste is almost nothing at all. Non alcoholic O’Doul’s has more flavors than this. Take a regular Michelob and dilute it by a factor of 4, that is what is here. Almost seltzer water.

Mouthfeel is water.

It is drinkable as in like a glass of water.

Zorro, Feb 25, 2004
1.78/5  rDev -2.7%

How bad can cheap ass beer get?? You got your answer right here with michelob Ultra. I love the commercials AB puts out for this beer. People pumping iron and "rewarding themselves" by drinking this crap. HA! How can this stuff ever be considered a reward? It's just carbonated water! Tastes like water. Smells like water with a shot of rubbing alcohol in it. Feels like water with carbonation added. Hey it is water! Sometimes I really wonder how much it costs AB to make this stuff. Water costs close to nothing and ow much can CO2 cost, so I guess this beer cost AB practically nothing except for the cost of all those commercials.

palma, Feb 15, 2004