Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,956 | Reviews: 585
1.1/5  rDev -40.5%

Do I even need to say anything? Well I have to have two hundred fifty characters, so I guess I will. In all seriousness, this is made for a female to look good in the bar with. A trendy, I'm drinking a beer like the guys kinda thing. Not saying women don't drink beer, but most usally have this kind of thing in hand.

1.28/5  rDev -30.8%

Wife came home with a 6-pack. Looks, smells, and tastes like a watered-down Budweiser. To recap: clear yellow pour. Sickening corn syrup nose. Watery, beer-like taste with straw and sugar. Upside: you can drink a ton since it is as close to water as you can get. Downside: you have to drink a ton of this to like it. A travesty.

This beer is bland and just plain awful.

Pours a very light watery golden yellow with thin fizzy white head that quickly dissapears. Aroma consists mostly of corn and frat house hallways. Very watered down with extremely bland corn flavor. Very light and nasty the whole way through. Disgusting!

1.72/5  rDev -7%

Had one of these while tailgaiting after the Yeungling ran out.
Imagine any other Light Lager's color and this one is lighter and thinner than those. There was something that resembled a head. But it left too quickly for me to be sure.
The aroma is not offensive. I'll give it that. In fact I don't think there was an aroma.
Again the taste wasn't bad. This has a similar flavor to water.
The mouthfeel had the viscosity of water vaper.
This was not a bad tasting beer. In fact this is a good beer for people who don't like beer.

2.06/5  rDev +11.4%

Beer was a very light, almost pale yellow with a big head. No lacing left behind.Smell was fairly nondescript smelling like maybe corn flakes soaked in water. I did note a slight hop smell, but nothing that I could consider malt.
Taste was in a word...bad. No feel what so ever. Just a carbonated, very, very week beer flavor that left me wondering why.
These were free at the time, but I must say, as a beer lover, I switched to coffee after two of these.

1.35/5  rDev -27%

I had this at a friend's house. The friend, one of my very best, is very concerned about calories, so this is all he had. This does not really look, taste, smell, or feel like a real beer. The color is exceptionally pale. A slight malt meets your nose, but dies after a sip or two. I honestly couldn't really taste this beverage, but I admit I've hardened my taste buds over the years of sucking down lots of strong Italian espresso and bitter pale ales. The texture is like carbonated water, and so it is a thirst quencher. Michelob is producing some nice beers these days, but this one is good only for being polite to a close friend with calorie sensitivity.

2.75/5  rDev +48.6%

Overview: for those of you on Adkins or South Beach, this is really the only beer out there for you.

When one thinks of "lite" beers, this truly fits the bill. Thin, watery and highly-carbonated, is really is about the only beer you can drink if you are on Adkins or South Beach.

The high carbonation, taste similar to our ubiquitous American lager/pilsner and quenching abilities make it drinkable after workouts or hard yard work. I would strongly suggest you drink it ice cold and quickly - do not let it warm up one iota.

Therefore, this beer does have a place on the great beer shelf of modern life. This is not a great beer, but it is better, much better, than the flavored Ultras.

My "Marge" likes this beer and drinks it regularly and she is a bona-fide expert on European Weisse beers.

2.53/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I know big brewery light beers get a bad rap, especially here,this one is not bad for the style, which is very light lager. Pours with a decent head, light in taste, and goes down way too smooth, its easy to drink a bunch of these things real quick. Not impressive, and not worth the price, but if you limited to Coors Light, Bud Light, Miller Lite, and this, I would go for this

1.5/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Barely an actual beer

appearance: light yellow, to basically clear, even more clear than others

smell: slight hops to almost zero smell

taste: Little to none, basically just a clear refresher

mouthfeel: watery adn very high carbonation

drinkability: very easy. only good for long hot days. lawnmower beer

2.57/5  rDev +38.9%

Ok, first I have to say that this beer is what it is. If you approach it with the attitude that you going to be encountering a ultra-light, low carb beer, then it's not too bad. If you've just finished a belgian ale, and then compare them side by side, That'd be a bit like comparing the last olympic basketball team to the kids playing "horse" down the street.

A-I was actually fairly impressed with the appearance. More than i though i would be. The color was an anemic piss yellow, but in my frosty pilsner, it actually poured a decent head, Maybe 3/4 of an inch. It was gone in 45 seconds, but wasn't bad looking while it lasted.

S- Not much of anything really. Smell some club soda, and add a touch of maltiness, and grain. there you have it.

T- The taste is not horrible at first. nor does it ever get HORRIBLE. It just gets progressively less flavorful as the carbonation dies. There's distinctive corn and grain. Like you're chewing on raw wheat. very simple, and very unassuming. like I said, not disgusting, just not great. sort of ho-hum.

M-In the beginning, there's decent carbonation, and it's got a relatively soft mouthfeel on the opening. As time wears on, however, the pleasantries retreat somewhat. by the bottom of the glass, it's nothing remotely impressive.

D- if you're looking for something to quench your thirst on a hot summer day, look no further. if you're looking for even an inch more than that, then by damn, keep looking.

1.8/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Drank out of the stubby...sadly, cos the appearance might have help the score...not much carbs in the stubbie & a thin film retention
S: thin again...could just find some malts, maybe lemon.
T: first mouthful (first thirst quencher for the day) was not too bad, malts up front, maybe some fruit/banana - maybe. Left a tinny taste (drank from a stubbie too)...& also finished quite dry, with a tiny smidgeon of bitter...again all very thin.
This got less flavoursome & way more boring as the drink went down. By the end of the stubbie it felt like I hadn't drank anything - it left nothing, I had to look at the stubbie to remind me I was drinking beer...how unsatifactory?
M: thin...not much carbonation, but it left the tongue a little alive & spicey(didn't feel right though)...that peppery feel was all. It wa like they tried to counter the fact that there was no substance by spritzing it up with a spicey tonguefeel.
D: as i said above, the first mouthful I thought not bad (It was a knock off drink, I was thirsty), but by the end I thought 'how boring?'...absolutely nothing of interest to entice me back.

1.52/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Pale yellow, translucent. Very little foam on top.

S: Vague malt, sort of sweet. A bit of lemon.

T: Very watery. An initial note of hops fades right away. Hardly any aftertaste.

M: Not much of anything. It's refreshing, but in the same way that seltzer is refreshing. Carbonated water.

D: Well, it doesn't have that nasty beer taste like most macros, but it doesn't taste like much of anything.

The one redeeming quality of this beer is that it makes excellent beertails. You want something with no flavor to compete with the liquor. I like to add a shot of Butterscotch Schnapps for "Butter Beer", or a blackberry or other fruit schnapps in the fall. Yummy!

1.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Bought a 12 pack of this for $7.99

I'm not sure what the point of this product is. It really is a water with a slight bit of beer taste, and at 4% ABV, its almost pointless to drink. No smell, looks terrible in the glass and no taste. But, it is cheap and I must say it's super drinkable. Good for drinking large quantities of beer at one time I guess?

1.05/5  rDev -43.2%

Appearance: Looks like straw colored water,

Smell: Not too sure what it smells like-certainly isnt beer.

Taste: Water with a hint of beer flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very light-medium carbonation. very thin.

Drinkability: Not even close to be drinkable.

Overall: Terrible

Bomber bottle copped from Bottle King in Livingston on a hot, hazy, humid Summer day...
Pours a ultra-clear, pale, see-through tone with hardly any head, minor lacing, and slight carbonation...
Adjunct, corn aroma - not much going on here... Taste was bland, flavorless, and pale... The only positive thing that could be said was that this light lager was at least refreshing...
Loose, watered-down mouthfeel...
A typical macro...
Nothing special...

1.65/5  rDev -10.8%

I was recently over a co-workers house who really isn't into good beers. The choice I had was Mich Ultra or nothing so I swallowed my pride, made some snide remark about watching my figure and reluctantly accepted the Mich Ultra. It was a Friday afternoon after a long work week so just about anything would have hit the spot. The fact that people voluntarily drink this stuff is surprising. There is nothing to it, it's like water with a hint of beer flavoring. I drank it straight from the bottle so I can't comment on the appearance, there was no smell, taste, mouthfeel or anything else for that matte. I actually think Budweiser might stack up next to this.

1.5/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

What did I rate Michelob Light? Seems like the same thing with a new advertising catch. I guess it's not horrible for what it is. Just tastes like so many other domestic light beers, really watered down with whatever flavor it has being t his corny, grainy, dusty flavor. This one however is extra watered down.

1.65/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.5

Big ol' foamy white head quickly formed and quickly faded when I poured this into my glass. No lacing, no retention, no surprise. Lightly floral aromas with vinegar hints. So light in color it looks almost like water! Despite several sips it tastes much like water too - I can discern almost no flavor! Barely a beer. High carbonation makes it hard to imagine going through several too, not that I can imagine why one would do so. The high carbonation also causes it to go flat quickly. I really want to fail this beer but I can't quite because it actually is better than most macro lights and it is so neutral as to be inoffensive.

Pours a super pale yellow with a thin white head. Smells of stale grain. Taste is of rust, with a faint whisper of malt. This beverage is so light that you can even slightly taste alcohol. Mouthfeel is incredibly watery, carbonation high. Usually with a light lager, drinkability is somewhat high, but not with this beer. It doesn't taste like beer IMO, rusty carbonated water is more like it. Truly terrible, even compared to other light beers I have had. I had a Miller Lite before this and in comparison it seems full flavored, and had about as many calories, and a much lower price. So for those looking for a diet beer, look elsewhere. For lovers of craft beer, this is the anti-thesis.

Avoid!

2.12/5  rDev +14.6%

One of my BMC drinking friends brought a sixer of these and Budweiser over for a barbecue. I was broke and didn't complain.

Poured out of a bottle with a born on date of June 25, 2008 with an oh so pale body. This has to be the thinnest of all of the AB products I have seen, I have yet to see Bud Select though.
Displayed a soda like, egg shell white head that disappeared very quickly like most other macros.

A light aroma of corn (of course) was present and actually I think I detected a hint of malt in there somewhere.

I was very surprised to find that this beer had a light, crisp, refreshing flavor. I would venture to say that it even tasted better than Bud Light. It finishes Ultra clean, pun intended.

With the St. Louis temperature being about 100 degrees on the day that I reviewed this, it was easy to imagine killing an ice cold 6 pack of these, especially if there weren't any flavorful beers around.

1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Obviously AB had created a watered down lo cal/carb beer for people who want to drink a beer but don't like beer (if you know what I mean...). Had this at a friend's wedding last week. :(

A = Light pale straw in color with a short-lived minor head and no lace.

S = Very minimal grain presence.

T = This reminds me of some stale "big city" tap water with a minimal level of beer flavor added as an after thought.

M = Thin and watery...

D = Couldn't get past the first couple of swallows.

No food pairing suggestions on this weak effort.

1.43/5  rDev -22.7%

Got this at a wedding because, well, I was tired of drinking the other non-starters they were offering (e.g., Bud Light and Corona). It was cold. It had bubbles. Very watery and virtually tasteless. The color (obviously added) led one to believe there was something to this beer. Nope. Nothing. There was a mild (roasted?) malt flavor and an annoying banana flavor (hops?) that built up over time until they became rather disgusting and rendered the last inch or so undrinkable. The Corona with lime I had reluctantly ordered before seemed so much better.

2.26/5  rDev +22.2%

Very pale golden colour with lots of visible carbonation racing up to a large white head. Head recedes steadily but leaves a couple of spots of sticky lacing.

Smells lightly of sweet grains, wet grass and a touch of lemon. Not much there.

Certainly a light lager, it gives the impression of beer flavoured soda water. Fizzy a thin, with only a slim grainy flavour. Carbonation is like a soft drink, coarse on the tongue.

Drinkable, but so is water. Fizziness is the only thing slowing a quaffer down here.

2.99/5  rDev +61.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Extremely pale yellow, almost absolutely clear. A quarter inch of foam forms breifly and subsides to nothing.

S - High on the green apple aroma with some grain husk as well. Almost has a vinegar-like quality, but in a good way.

T - Faint green apple dominates, but there are some mild adjunct flavors and grain husk pulling through. No bitterness and an extremely clean finish.

M - Very thin, and watery with some decent carbonation. Though it held it's carbonation better than most light beers after poured into a glass, I felt this brew should've been more crisp.

D - The smell and taste were pretty unoffensive and almost interesting for a light lager, but the wateryness is something I can't get past and for that reason wouldn't have more than one of these, if even that many.

As far as light lagers go, this is one of the better ones out there. Sure, it's already tasteless and watery, but this brew is at least a little more interesting and flavorful.

1.32/5  rDev -28.6%

Picked up at a family function. Most taste free beer I think I've ever had.

A: I'll give credit where credit is due. This beer looks pretty good. Very pale straw color with active carbonation. Head is foamy and firm, with good retention. Leaves quite a bit of lace.

S: Almost no aroma. Faint husky malt, plus rice and a hint of green apple. That's it.

T: Even less taste. A beer for people who don't like the taste of beer. Neither sweet nor bitter. Maybe a hint of dry malt. Finishes clean and dry. Almost like it was never there.

M: Super light body with too much fizz.

D: I'd never pick this up on purpose. No taste, no aromas, nothing going on. Like seltzer water with a splash of beer flavor.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch