Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
1.72/5  rDev -7%

Talk about a light beer every thing about this says light,light,light.

Looks like water , tastes like water , the only thing like a beer is some aroma and I mean very little.

Tried this just to try, would never order this again. Something my wife sister might drink , she hates beer.

2.23/5  rDev +20.5%

12 oz. twist off bottle> 16 oz. SA glass.
"born" on 2/7/08

This is the thinnest looking beer I've ever seen. It's like mildly carbonated white grape juice, not pale gold...not gold at all, it's almost as clear as water. I can see clear across the room through the my glass! A thin, paper-white head comes and goes without much notice...dissolves into a void of nothing....fast. I'm scared.

O.k, after what appears to be only a ghost of a beer the aroma is not bad. Very sweet malt, even , mildly fruity, like fermented raspberries. A tangy, sour yeast follows with corn fields and grains.

So, this stuff is supposed to be "light" and that pretty much sums up the flavor factor, but there is some note worthy elements...a tangy, wheatie malt...the sweetness does not pop out like in the aroma but the corn and grains sure do. sour ripe white grapes is still there which actually adds some "complexity" to this. I can't really detect the hops, but most of the flavors are very subdued. It's really a tangy, wheat flavor that pops out most.

"Ultra" light body, although it keeps it's crispness better than some other's of it's kind.

The quality seems to diminsih with every passong minute. Overall: don't bother.

1.35/5  rDev -27%

Yellow with a tiny bit of head that receded so fast I wasn't sure it was ever there. This looks more like urine than beer.

Some sort of sweet smell. Reminds me of stomach acid.

Tastes like a sweet corn flavor. I'm aware it's probably not actually made with corn (rice maybe?). For a second I thought I could taste hop at the end. I think I was wrong and it was just wishful thinking.

Moutfeel reminds me of super carbonated tonic water.

Drinkablity would be much improved if you were drunk. It is light and doesn't taste like anything.

Not a good beer, but it was free so I shouldn't complain too much about it.

1.27/5  rDev -31.4%

Some people left this behind at my house so I figured that I would at least try it. This is my first time ever tasting this stuff. Pours an extremely pale, extremely clear, straw color with big soda-like carbonation bubbles. Very small head that fizzles out quickly. Aroma is of light grains, adjuncts, corn, and a slightly "off-smell." Whoa, the taste is REALLY bad. This beer brings out a new level of skunkiness. Tastes extremely watery with an intense skunkiness in the finish. Mouthfeel is very watery and carbonated. This is one of the few "drain-pours" that I have had.

1.73/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Bought this because I went to ANOTHER restuarant that doesn't think people that like beer go there.

Pouring this is boring. Don't waste your time. Drink it out of the bottle.

Taste is sweet.

Some carbonation. Almost unnatural.

Easy to drink. I really don't have much else to say. It was cold. It wasn't spoiled.

2.47/5  rDev +33.5%

12 ounce bottle, "born on date" of 1/3/08. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a very pale clear yellow color with a half inch white head. Head retention is low, lacing is OK. Aroma is corn, grain, and a little bit of sweet malt. It tastes the same as it smells, sweet and grainy. No offensive aromas or flavors. Mouthfeel/body is light, it has a lot of carbonation and it's watery. Drinkability is average, it isn't hard to drink and it goes down almost as easy as water does. I could down a few of these on a hot day. It's not what I'd call a good beer, but it's not horrible either. For the style it's not bad.

2.18/5  rDev +17.8%

Extremely light yellow color beer. Almost like water with lemon juice squirted in it... Very short lived head. An extremely subtle grain smell, and taste is one of the lightest of any beer I've ever had. Not bad tasting, but closer to water than beer as far as the taste. Still, I'd rather drink this over some other beers, actually.

2.07/5  rDev +11.9%

Beer-flavored soda.
Other than a fizzy carbonation/head there is no appearance to speak of...very pale & light.
The only flavor is a light barley...thankfully it's not too sweet. Very crisp finish however, and its main intent seems to be as a thirst-quencher.
For the quenching aspect it works, and it's not the worst macro I've tasted (in terms of offending the palate), but there really is no flavor to mention, and I won't be rushing out to purchase this anytime soon.

2.48/5  rDev +34.1%

Quick Version:
Ultra light and flavorless. No skunkiness. For people who don't like beer.

Details:
I think it's important when rating this 'beer' to at least try to keep in mind the context of the audience AB is trying to reach.

This product is really for designated drivers and people who don't like beer but want to look fashionable holding a brown beer bottle in various social settings.

Let's face it, people don't drink it to get a buzz and they certainly don't drink it for the beer flavor.

In this context they hit it out of the park. It's pretty much an A+. Fancy looking bottle, low calorie, no flavor, no buzz. Good for business too because they sell it by the boxcar load and don't have to really put any ingredients in it other than water, carbonation, and a smidgeon of yellow food coloring. What a business model!

Now, from the perspective of someone who doesn't fit into this category of beer drinker, I'd feel a bit ripped off if I didn't already know what I was getting into (actually left over from my mom's last visit).

I know now why the call it "ultra". It stands for ultra-pale, ultra-aromaless, and ultra-flavorless. I also know why they advertise so heavily in Runners World and sponsor a series of running races across America. They could literally hydrate marathoners at every mile marker with it.

It poured clean and crisp for sure. Lots of snow white foamy bubbles. About a 1/2" or so that faded to flat before the bottle hit the table. Bubbles were perky throughout the rest of the review.

Color is ultra pale, almost transparent, yellow. Very much like a well hydrated person's urine. Bubbly carbonation is a bit refreshing.
No hop aroma. Closest thing I could come up with to describe it is a faint dishwater lemon/lime smell. Like a lemon Palmolive maybe.

Wateriest, least flavorful beer I've ever tasted.
Lack of skunk flavor and smell was a plus (which we all know is pretty much expected in this genre) and gave it a boost in my ratings. Feeble finish. Maybe a non-salty pretzel aftertaste with some carbide drillbit shavings in it. Definitely taste a little metal.

p.s. Where's the malt? Is there ANY in here?

I'd tank this beer lower if I didn't see it for what it is. In its own right it's what it needs to be. However, I just can't look myself in the mirror and give this dog anything higher than a D...

1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

This beer pours a straw yellow color and is clear enough to read through; decent white head with some lasting power; little lace. An attractive pour.

The smell is thin. It's obvious that this beer uses a lot of adjuncts. I cannot discern any hop and the "malt" aroma is not from barley.

The only flavor notes of any value is the spiciness that is created more from over-carbonation than from any taste source. There is NO aftertaste. This is the thinnest beer I've ever had.

I'm not sure what is ultra about this beer other than the lack of taste and body. I suggest you save yourself and have water instead; it's cheaper with less calories.

2.48/5  rDev +34.1%

A lot of people are going to think I am crazy, but I like this beer. A part of the reason is that I am straddling the line between beer geek (in training) and weight lifter (not huge yet). So having this at social gatherings at bars is almost necessary for me. If I wanted just to lose weight, I probably wouldn't drink this as there are much better light beers. Now, it is a very light, watery gold draft w/ a quickly dieing head that greets me (the barwecnch didn't even bother tilting the glass, but why bother with this beer). But I find that it has a nice, smooth but crisp body w/ the adjuncts making a nice taste (smell this and you are going to pick up water and corn). Since it is very low in calories and carbs and alcohol, this is redrinkable. In fact, you might have to drink many of them to catch a buzz.

1.98/5  rDev +7%

appearance - Yellow straw color, little bit of lace, if none at all.

smell - Corn and grain smells here like a Macro brew.

taste - Watery, taste of grains and corns are about it.

mouthfeel - Light body, watery.

drinkability - Not a good beer at all, very watery. This is a light beer, didn't know that until I saw BA label it as that. Had this when I went to eat, decided to get something I normally don't.

1.55/5  rDev -16.2%

How have I never reviewed this abomination?

Pours a very pale yellow. Big white head. Super carbonated (like club soda).

Flavor? Smell? A Michelob Ultra craves not these things. Maybe a hint of skunky malt ... if that. Nothing of note.

Enjoy your bubbly, watery "beer", peasant.

1.65/5  rDev -10.8%

All in all this one tastes like a diet beer, very watered down, and yes I am aware of the purpose of a 3.2 state describing a weak tasting beer. It reallly tastes watered down. Really watered down, the only saving grace on this one is the fact that the only option they have is an amber.

1.34/5  rDev -27.6%

Very poor. Very very very poor. Has this in a pitcher via tap and all I can say is that I think it was water, not beer. Thats what I get for trying something new.

Little head or retention for that part. The only thing I can same about this is that it did feel crisp, thats why I gave a 2 for mouthfeel. Not bitter, but then again not much of anything. This is as light as it gets. For someone that wants to drink beer with their friends but is watching their weight, and does not not beer much anyways, this is the beer for you. light as it gets. Nothing more, nothing less. Gives you bloatedness while tasting like water.

1.93/5  rDev +4.3%

This beer is for the weak stomached, or if you're trying to see how many you can drink. It pours a pale golden yellow with a short white head. It doesn't have much of a smell except that stale beer smell - light hops and malts watered down to almost nothing. The taste is the same as well. It tastes watered down with some light hops and light malts in there to get the most out of the beer. I'd give it a decent rating on the drinkablility because it is closer to water than to most beer.

1.2/5  rDev -35.1%

The worst. This is the only beer I feel comfortable ranting about. For people who drink it, I understand what you're looking for, and my advice is this: Take a shot of cheap vodka, chug a glass of water and do some jumping jacks instead. Aside from the 1's, I gave it a 2 for drinkability because I would be comfortable chugging this if offered one, that way I could immediately order something different. This is just my opinion, and it's OK if this is your beer, but I would suggest Mic Light instead.

1.45/5  rDev -21.6%

Was at a graduation party last year for a neighbor and this was the beer one of the hosts brought back with him. It's taken me this long to review it because, honestly, I forgot I even had it because it was so unmemorable.

The smell is almost non-existent and the taste is so thin that you would almost swear you're drinking iron-filled water. I swear, Bud Light is hoppier than this. You can barely tell that it is a beer, by which there is no feel of alcohol whatsoever. The only reason the taste did not get a 1 is because it is not as horrific as Michelob Light.

The drinkability is moderate just because it is so weak, you can knock a few of these back like bottles of water. You will probably get the same buzz, as well.

Honestly, what is the point? This beer was probably created so businessmen could drink during their lunch break and leave no smell of alcohol.

Leave it.

1.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Appearance - 2.5
Poured two fingers of white head that rapidly reduced to almost nothing. Colour is a very pale straw, looks to be highly carbonated. Looks sort of like champagne?

Smell - 2.0
There was a surprising fruit (banana?) smell upon opening, which I find very hard to explain. Quite clean, smells as much like cheap white wine as it does like beer.

Taste - 1.5
Somewhat refreshing, but very little in the way of flavour. There is nothing all that nasty here, but just to call the flavour boring would actually be a compliment. There is an interesting banana lolly like fruitiness, along with dry, grain husk flavour. Some sweetness with no resemblance to malt, perhaps a whisper of bitterness.

Mouthfeel - 1.0
Just plain wrong. I don't really know what it is, but I do not feel like I am drinking beer, more like disprin in water. Sharp, stinging carbonation upfront, but watery right afterwards. Extremely light in the mouth.

Drinkability - 1.5
I've drank one before, but this was truly hard to get down.

OVERALL
The first time I drank one was from a bottle after a four hour drive on a hot day, and I found it to be light and refreshing. Now I see it for what it is - a truly crap beer, cheap but still poor value. Admittedly there are no off smells or tastes, but frankly there are almost no smells or tastes at all. My girlfriend suggested adding a slice of lemon, and I agree with her - it needs something. Or better still, buy a good beer instead!

1.83/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours an extremely pale golden with a bright white head that fades immediately to almost nothing. Smell is lightly sour and vaguely citrusy and grainy- sorta like a poor quality Orangina knock-off that's been watered down. There is an underlying cereal sweetness. The taste is unbelievably light, an initial graininess and then....nothing. It just fades off in a burst of effervescence that tastes vaguely of slightly sweetened club soda. That being said, as weak as this is, I prefer its inoffensiveness to the cooked corn taste to so many other American macro lagers. This one is barely a beer, but I could see sucking one down while mowing the yard- but only if I were out of water.

2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

Another "fun" reviewer... to say I am "sessioning" this is to say one is taste-testing a chicken nugget...sad when a beer's advertisiements actually DO approximate what to expect from the taste...sparkling translucent effervescent yellow body with a hint of head--champagne from a distance...light hints of bread and dough, classic cereal....a bit of chemical cleanliness? Light watery body that bubbles around the tongue--fleeting in presence...the beechwood aging appellationwould best apply here...refreshing is the commercial (and euphemistic) word for anything this "ultra"...no surprises: a beer that somehow manages a measly amount of carbs and sacrifices a ton of character possibilities for a chance to be consumed in mass quantities by club-hopping hipsters (or so notes the commercials)...and I'm strangely okay with that, from this distance...then again, I like chicken nuggets...

2.28/5  rDev +23.2%

Cracked this one open, looking for a refreshing beer.

Served from a 12oz. bottle in my SABL glass as just under fridge temperature.

A - Lighter than pale yellow with a quick pop of head that dimishes to a thin film in moments. Decent carbonation action in the glass. Very sporadic lacing.

S - Bright, adjuncty sweetness with a vague hint of alcohol. Woo.

T - Miscellaneous grain sweetness and corn. That's about it. No hops to speak of other than a very light tinge of bitterness in the back. Underwhelming.

M - Watery going in, and puffing for a moment before turning flat. Swallow is not unlike water.

D - Well, if you're looking for something that makes it seem as if you're drinking beer without all of the malt and hops getting in the way, then this is your beer. Refreshing, but only as much as a nice glass of water would be. Above average drinkability for the style, thanks to the merciful lack of taste.

2.72/5  rDev +47%

I've had this numerous times and just now getting to reviewing it. Pours a decent amber color with little to no head and practically no lacing. Really has no smell to it at all. The taste is ok when nice and cold but as it warms up, like most macros it begins to suffer. Overall it's an average to below average beer but certainly not the worst I've ever had

1.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Pour- What in the hell is going on! NO HEAD at all! Little carbonation bubbles, like I poured yellow 7up.

Smell- Has a feint smell of Bud Light. Nothing to the nose really at all.

Taste- Rice,corn uh-nothing else

Mouthfeel- A joke, I think I just drank water.

Drinkability- Low carb? Come on! Is this what we've reduced ourselves to. Macro-Beer was already reduced down in flavor and calories a hundred times before this drink came around. America Macros supposedly made good beer before WW2 and then they marketed after the women, so what does that tell you?(No offense to any women on this site that like good beer)

1.35/5  rDev -27%

A: Very clear, honestly, it truly is just slightly colored water (piss actually). Decent initial head, but dissipates quickly, no lace.

S: Just that horrible American Macro Lager skunky kind of smell.

T: There is nothing there. It is "tangy" for lack of a better word, but the taste leaves quickly.

M: Nothing. Leaves quickly.

D: It is somewhat refreshing considering that it is flavored seltzer.

I tried it because one of my friends had it in her fridge and I wanted to rate it for myself. To be honest, the low score is not because it tastes bad. It doesn't. It is just not beer and doesn't deserve credit just because it tastes like seltzer as opposed to a bad tasting beer, that tried to make an interesting taste.

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch