Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
1.43/5  rDev -21.9%

I have a friend who drinks this stuff religiously, so I finally gave in and bummed a taste off of her, in exchange for some of my blind faith. As she was gagging, I had to check to see if I somehow made a mistake and picked up a bottle of water because this had absolutely no taste.
Well, maybe not no taste. A bit of corn/rice adjunct and carbonation, but even less than bud light. No bitterness, no hops, no real beer taste. Here's my theory on how they actually make Michelob Ultra... they take a vat of carbonated water, add yellow food coloring, through in some corn husks and let it soak just long enough to get that taste, bottle it, label it low carb and it's on its way to the health conscious women of America.

MattFrenzy, May 09, 2004
1.4/5  rDev -23.5%

This beer poured a crystal clear, sepia toned, yellow body with a fluffy white head.

The nose was almost none existent. Corn, rice, that’s it.

The taste was carbonated water. Period. Maybe a very slight corn sweetness. Very fine bubbles. No hop taste. No alcohol taste (though it does start to take effect eventually). Slight slight corn or rice malty flavor. Basically it tastes like corn flavored carbonated water.

Why waste money on a 6 pack of this when you can just get bottled water. Seriously sad beer. I will give it credit that it has no off flavors like some macros; it’s very quaffable, but still…. I kept taking sip after sip and huge sniffs of the nose writing this review and all I had written for 10 minutes was “carbonated water”

taez555, May 09, 2004
1.1/5  rDev -39.9%

appearance: golden
smell: better than taste...only slightly awful
taste: distinct flavor is chemical - like artificial rice. No wait...maybe they use water from a dog's bowl?
mouthfeel: Others are thinner and less distinct
impressions: Atkins beer? That makes this a great excuse for kicking that diet.

*This is truly the worst lager I've ever had*

skaughty, Apr 27, 2004
1.25/5  rDev -31.7%

This beer is like sex in a canoe-it's fu**ing near water. Pours a pale, pale yellow, (almost clear) with little to no head. I have had bottled water with more taste than this garbage. No smell to speak of, mouthfeel is non existent. I can only give a higher mark for drinkability simply because the stuff goes down so easy, but so does water. Ultra is a fitting name for this beer, it ultra SUCKS.

Trentonator, Apr 22, 2004
3.33/5  rDev +82%

This was a very pale yellow color and very clear. Thin film of a head and left no lace on the glass. The aroma is lemony sour and a little bit musty. Interesting. The taste is surprisingly sweet and actually had some flavor. I was expecting water. Very low bitterness, really, no hop presence. There’s a fruity sweetness and a fine carbonation that tickles the tongue. Not surprisingly, this beer is really light with not much body. Almost none. Overall this is a pretty refreshing light beer. Lacks any kind of depth, but on the surface is light and lemony, and actually becomes more watery as the beer warms up. Went down very easy along with the hot wings I was eating.

Not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.

pezoids, Apr 15, 2004
1.43/5  rDev -21.9%

Just got back from drinking some great brews in Oregon and decided I need to cleanse the palate with a Michelob Ultra left in my fridge. It cleaned me out alright; about halfway through my stomach started rumbling and I was running to sit on the john as my bowels purged themselves. For all purposes, there is no smell and this beer has a salty flavor to it. It feels like it fizzes when it hits my tongue. Only good thing is if I really had to or really wanted to I coud probably drink a lot of these.

MuddyFeet, Mar 13, 2004

Here I am at a gallery opening and I'm reviewing beer. What has the world come to?
Anyway, among the really good beers that I have been drinking for the past hour now, I had to try the infamous Mic Ultra. Of all the beers in the world, this one should be casted away to some island. Even Crazy Ed's Cave Creek is better than this because it's original. This is a joke. It has a super pale transparent yellow colour with no head. The smell was non-exsistant as was the taste. Obviously cutting carbs means cutting taste and quality.

CBFanWish, Mar 12, 2004
1.15/5  rDev -37.2%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle, into a little pilsner glass. The color was a VERY pale yellow, with a quickly dissipating head. The smell was a barely noticable sorta-malt. The taste was basically nonexistant...basically like drinking seltzer with some sort of beer extract flavor. Mouthfeel was thin. As for drinkability, not one I'm ever gonna have again.

Consider this research for academic purposes. I've come up with my own marketing slogans, though: "The Beer to Have When you Aren't Drinking Beer!", not to mention "Lose the Carbs AND the Taste!". Needless to say, now that I've encountered the enemy, I'll never have this one again...if I go on a diet, I'll give up beer first.

beergeek279, Mar 02, 2004
2.15/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

First, I should say that I'm an aspiring beer snob who has been forced to go on a low-carbohydrate diet. I had been drinking Coors Light and Miller Light, but could not pass up the 2.6 carbs offered by Michelob Ultra. Michelob Ultra is by no means a craft beer. Heck, it has trouble stacking up to most national brews. But the main reason I judged this beer so low is because it's lacking in just about every department. It poors a faint yellow, with a short-lived head. The bouquet is pretty much non-existent (smells like a dried empty beer bottle). The taste is faint, but drinks easily.

I had hoped that Michelob Ultra would be the brew that I could use to introduce my wife to beer. But, after gagging on half a sip, she commented that it "tasted like her parents' bar used to smell". I suppose that if the daughter of former bar-owners doesn't like beer by mid-life, chances are she never will.

It took me a long time to admit publicly that I like the BeeGees. Admitting to buying and drinking Michelob Ultra is just as difficult for me. But I will continue, until Sam Adams comes out with a 2.6 carb beer (hopefully better than their current light offering).

LiquidBreadMan, Feb 28, 2004
1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours the palest of all possible yellows, it is almost water color.

Smell is almost nothing, faint sweetness and grain smell.

Taste is almost nothing at all. Non alcoholic O’Doul’s has more flavors than this. Take a regular Michelob and dilute it by a factor of 4, that is what is here. Almost seltzer water.

Mouthfeel is water.

It is drinkable as in like a glass of water.

Zorro, Feb 25, 2004
1.78/5  rDev -2.7%

How bad can cheap ass beer get?? You got your answer right here with michelob Ultra. I love the commercials AB puts out for this beer. People pumping iron and "rewarding themselves" by drinking this crap. HA! How can this stuff ever be considered a reward? It's just carbonated water! Tastes like water. Smells like water with a shot of rubbing alcohol in it. Feels like water with carbonation added. Hey it is water! Sometimes I really wonder how much it costs AB to make this stuff. Water costs close to nothing and ow much can CO2 cost, so I guess this beer cost AB practically nothing except for the cost of all those commercials.

palma, Feb 15, 2004
1.93/5  rDev +5.5%

I had meager choices at the dinner I was at tonight, so I tried this because I hadn't had one before.

It poured a thin, faint yellow, almost clear, with minimal head.

The smell was like watered down Budweiser with a muted hint ot the trademark, A-B grain harshness.

The taste. I've never much liked A-B beers because of the trademark harsh grain flavors. No problem with this beer. There wasn't much flavor at all. I've had tap water with more flavor.

The mouthfeel was like water, with a few bubbles of carbonation.

This is highly drinkable, but so is water.

masterbruewer, Jan 30, 2004
1.7/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This might be the lightest beer that I have seen. Looks like water with a splash of yellow. Very small head that doesn't last. I smell almost nothing. Maybe a hint of something sweet like corn syrup. No hops and no malt. The taste is much like the smell. Nothing. I have heard a lot of people bitch about other light beers, but this one really deserves it. It is almost like they have stripped this beer down to nothing. There is nothing else they can take away.

CharlesRiver, Jan 13, 2004
2.93/5  rDev +60.1%

Appearance – This one is, of course, extremely light yellow in color. The head rose up nicely.

Smell – Well, it still smells like cheap American grain, so I don’t know what they took out to make it, “Ultra.”

Taste – In looking at my notes on the regular Michelob, the cheap sweetness seems to have been extracted for the sake of carb reduction. This is actually an improvement. Also, the grain doesn’t seem to taste so bad. Who ‘da thunk?

Mouthfeel – The good carbonation and absence of cheap sugars make this one a not-so-bad alternative to a real beer.

Drinkability – I can’t believe I’m writing this, but this beer isn’t half bad.

RoyalT, Jan 12, 2004
1.23/5  rDev -32.8%

I thought the phrase "beer flavored seltzer water" was a beer snob exaggeration until I tried Michelob Ultra. It indeed tastes like seltzer water with a light beer flavoring, which is in no way an exaggeration. I don't even know what to write about; there's barely any taste to the beer whatsoever. The aftertaste is bready. That's about it. I'll have this again when I run out of water.

BeefyMee, Jan 11, 2004
1.95/5  rDev +6.6%

Extremely clear straw color...no head....nose has some sweet maltiness...more so than I expected....taste (if you want to call it that) has some malt notes...actually a bit more flavor to this than I expected..mouthfeel is horrible...watery, thin...not nice..

Slightly better than what I expected but my expectations were basically a beer with 1/8 Michelob Light and 7/8 water...faint maltiness on the nose and buds...way too thin in the mouth to be called a beer really...I guess I could drink it after a workout if there was a hot babe waiting for me at the end of the pool, but even then I might pass and concentrate on the task at hand and bypass this beer..

Not recommended unless you do not like the flavor of beer..

ZAP, Jan 08, 2004
1.7/5  rDev -7.1%

Wow, I can't believe I drank this. At least I didn't pay for it. A guy I know brought it to our New Years Eve party. Yes I know that was days ago, I just couldn't bring myself to review this. Partly shame, partly that I want to forget the experience. Poured a very clear, very light yellowish color. Like someone put a drop or two of yellow food coloring in water. Those of you who couldn't smell this, be glad, the smell was horrid. Smelled like rotten egg. Very very gross. Made me want to put it back in search of something that I could stomach. Thankfully it didn't taste like it smelled. To be honest it tasted fairly close to Bud Light. Like a watered down rice beer. No hops to speak of. Light in the mouth. No bite. Just like drinking water as far as the mouthfeel went. Drinkability? They wish. I'll never drink this again. It took me a few hours to get over the smell of it. I suppose if you're on the Adkins diet and you are adamant that the beer is what caused the gut, then this could be the beer for you, however, as I observed, this is not the beer for me. I went right back to the Bully! Porter I brought and tried to drown my tastebuds in something they'd enjoy. I also appologized to them for hours.

Nytemare, Jan 06, 2004

Palest yellow I have ever seen, not appetizing in the least. The head has some retention, probably because it is so light, gravity has no effect on it. There is absolutely no aroma at all. I practically snorted some just to be able to say something about it, but to no avail. The taste just sucks. Subtle husky grain and C02 bitterness. I swear this is club soda or seltzer water. Goddamn, this is a miracle of science to be able to make something with 4%alcohol look and taste like carbonated water.

waughbrew, Dec 31, 2003
1.48/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

The most amazing thing about this beer is the color. Unlike other light beers that are at least some pale shade of gold or copper, this one looks clear, almost like sparkling water. Any tint in this liquid is silverish if anything. I thought it was Zima. Smell? What smell.

It's easy to bash this beer but it really does taste like water to me. Sparkling water with some beer essence in there somewhere. I have no other description to add to taste or mouthfeel but sparkling water. Very drinkable though. You could give this beer a 1 if it was the least bit offensive but it doesn't do much one way or the other. "Goes down easy!" But why would you want it to?

ViveLaChouffe, Dec 30, 2003
2.03/5  rDev +10.9%

The great fat-burning beer is here and it is only $2 per pint on Wednesday nights. It most assuredly will cost me less than a pesky gym membership. Time for a review...

Appearance: Pretty much clear. A slight yellow tinge, but pretty much transparent. No head, no nothing.

Smell: Again, not much to tell here. Very thin on the smells. Perhaps a slight hint of corn?

Taste: "I CAN'T TASTE MY BEER!" I have had this numerous times and have yet to taste anything in it. It actually has less flavor than Corona Light.

Mouthfeel: Middle of the road. Some carbonation and a little bite to it, but overall not bad. Usually will be served very cold.

Drinkability: Pound 50 at a time. It is very drinkable because it is so light and flavorless. Not very enjoyable, but very able to be consumed.

I can feel the unsightly flab melting away as I type this. This is the beer for people who believe what they see on TV. It's a macro trend that is all in all...crap. Miller Lite at least has some flavor to it, and not much more on the carb scale. If you're watching the carbs, drink Captain and Diet Coke, but skip this one.

Edwin, Dec 24, 2003
1.25/5  rDev -31.7%

Served on tap at a dive bar in the Pittsburgh area. Vessel used was a plastic cup. Seemed appropo.

Appearance: Very pale straw yellow. Clear with a short lived white head.

Smell: Not much going on here. I got some faint grassy aromas, occasionally some skunkiness, and some other off aromas that just may have been the background smells of the bar.

Taste: A "beery" taste that lasts a millisecond, giving way to seltzer water. Blech.

Mouthfeel: Perrier has more substance.

Drinkability: Ick. I can't believe I drank this, but my family had ordered it, and I thought I should see just how bad it was.

ManekiNeko, Nov 27, 2003
2.38/5  rDev +30.1%

Michelob Ultra is the recent "Miller Lite" bar alternative beer. This new beer brought to us by our friends at Michelob seems to be popping up everywhere. And it fits into the typical bar mode.
Ex; go to the bar/club, walk around looking at the girls, order a beer over the blasting music, Michelob Ultra is handed to you, repeat!

Michelob Ultra is a no-frills beer that someone buys if they can't decide between Bud, Miller, or Coors.

The Appearance is that of any other piss-beer- light yellow/ almost clear. A fluffy white head that bubbled away quickly.
The smell was bad. A weak, stale, bathroom floor stink.
The taste wasn't much better. Very weak, watery, and a skunked aftertaste.

Ultra is ultra bad! If you're watching your weight I suggest frinking slim-fast. Hell, mix slim-fast with gin for a Martini! It'll taste better!!

NJpadreFan, Nov 11, 2003
1.9/5  rDev +3.8%

This is the least flavor of a beer that I've ever had. It has a tiny bit of that nuttiness that regular Michelob has, but it's so faint that you really have to be looking for it to notice it. It does have a little bit of a citrusy character to it that almost gives it character, but really it tastes kind of like city water.

aracauna, Nov 09, 2003
1.05/5  rDev -42.6%

Well, what can I say, over at a friends house fixing his computer(s), and he offered me a beer, well not to be rude I excepted knowing it would be something like this, goes to show you that “No Good Deed Goes Unpunished”.

On the pour a lucent pale gold color, the head modest in size and white in color, the texture frothy and the lace a very thin sheet. Nose is crisp and clean, the start slightly sweet, top cadaverous. Finish stinging in its acidity, hops scarce, dry and a totally forgettable beer.

Gusler, Oct 13, 2003

This isn't beer as it pours the colour of carbonated seltzer water. The aroma is of water, and carbonation, as is the taste. NO hops, NO malts, NO "beer flavor". Mouthfeel is that of water, but the drinkability is non-existant! The fact that this stuff sells so well, just shows how many people are slaves to marketing. If you are on ATKINS just drink water, don't spend $17 a case for this junk...or hey, if you really like beer, go with Amstel light! That has only 95 calories and 5 carbs, and it actually has...get this...beer flavor to it!

francisweizen, Sep 25, 2003