Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
1.2/5  rDev -35.1%

12 onz brown bottle

Appearance is very pale light yellow color with no head ,

The smell is like veggies but not some good ones.

Taste is (what taste?) very wattery , like a real beer with ice, there's not a lot in here.

If you are goingt to drink this beer because of low carbs,you should not drink anything at all.It makes you think is there a real different between having a good beer with 100 to 120 carbs or punish your self with this beer for some carbs???

1.57/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours an incredibly light yellow with a thin, fizzy head. No real smell other than slight cereal grain.

And the taste... where to begin? No, really, where? There's almost no flavor here. It's a little sour and a touch bitter but overall it's just fizzy. There's not much else to say other than people who drink this probably don't like beer in general. I suppose you could drink a hundred of them if you really wanted to, but why put yourself through that? Another bland, mass-market lager.

1.4/5  rDev -24.3%

While I love the story of the Bud family this beer is an "ultra" let down. For those who like a very light beer this would be ok. It practically has no flavor or appearance. I was given this while doing some work in the sun. Other than quenching my thirst I got little else from it. I am glad it was given to me, for I would not and will not buy it.

I dont recomend this one. There are plenty of good light beers to choose from that would go over much better.

Next time I will pass, even if it is free. I am not slamming it, it just is not my style. To each their own.

2.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a straw golden pale empty nothingness. Not much of a head to speak of and what is there is gone soon after. Smells like water with a splash of beer. Kinda of muted all around. Taste is halfway decent for macro lagers. I like it better than the few others I've had. Mouthfeel is very light and empty. Only a slighty dirty, grainy mouthfeel can describe it. Drinkability is fairly low although it's supposed to be light and easy to drink. I'd much rather buy some Yuengling and enjoy that for about the same price than drink this for an evening.

What can I really say about this, looks bad, smells like air and tastes like flavored water. At a concert it is all you can get, so its what you are left with. Pale yellow carbonated water that has to be drank freezing or it is completly untolerable, please look somewhere else.

1.21/5  rDev -34.6%

this is, hands down, the worst "beer" i have ever had. the pinnacle of american macro lagers as far as tasteless swill goes. it is utterly devoid of any aroma and taste. spritzy, though! and only 64 calories! low carbs! why even drink "beer" if you're going to reduce yourself to this? nothing is the only thing i can say about this one. congrats to the brewers at a-b, you absolutely cannot top this...years of taking flavor and aroma out of beer, all that expertise has culminated in this. take a bow, please.

1.85/5  rDev 0%

I'll keep this short and to the point.

This is more like bottled carbonated water than beer. Thin, watery, very little color, very little head, no lacing, very little aroma, very little taste. Mind you, it's not unpleasant, it's not awful and it's not skunked. There's just not much here. For one dollar a bottle, you could get much more -- and you should.

1.8/5  rDev -2.7%

s: bottle with born on date maybe date date
A: the same old label that we know and kinda love
S: It smelled like corn with a barley like smell
T: like corn on the cob crossed with a loaf of bread
M: Ginger ale kinda of with a creamed corn after taste
D: not that easy after drinking a few of them

1.8/5  rDev -2.7%

had a 10 oz can of this on a cruise ship last summer, review from memory...

I asked for a glass and the bartender gave me a short straight 'high ball' type glass

it's yellow and had a head for all of ten seconds.

not much in the aroma here

taste like really watered down beer

it's fizzy, that's all

I'm glad I'm not watching my carb intake and I don't have to drink this.

1.52/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a pale yellow color with no head or lacing. The smell is nothing, nada, zilch. I gave it a 1.5 because it didn't smell bad. The taste is the same, nothing. You can drink this beer while working out. I thought I might have tasted something but I cannot find it again amid the high carbonation. The feel is watery, bubbly. This is yellow soda water, nothing else. If you are looking for a beer, you do not want this.

3.55/5  rDev +91.9%

Saw this in a local pub and just had to try it. Pours the lightest I have seen in recent memory, this beer is so pale it looks like it needs a warm dose of chicken soup and some serious bed rest. Spritzy and effervescent, head does not stick around but I would not expect it to.

Low aroma of pilsener malt and cooked corn, similar in flavour with a very low bitterness level; carbonic bite counteracts whatever malt sweetness there is more than hops do. I fancy there's a trickle of spicy hop as the beer warms up but I am not entirely sure. Very light body reflects the pale colour.

I give them big points for producing what they intend and getting it all the way down under with negligible loss in quality. It's clean and wet, not much else to it but importantly to me there are not any faults other than perhaps too fizzy.

2.8/5  rDev +51.4%

Had a good head at the start then almost totally dissapeared into nothing. The color is strange being that it is absolutely crystal clear very light yellow. Scattered bubbling carbonation is seen with spooty traces of foamy lace. It looks like yellow tinted water basically. If I am going to drink Macro-produced beer this and Coors light is always the usual choice. It doesnt taste that bad and goes down real easy, plus it has like 95 calories a can.The mouthfeel is overly carbonated making it real filling. Dry refreshing finish with almost no bitterness or hop character at all. It's basically a bubbling malt beverage with a low ABV. Has a light sweet rice or corn with a faint wheat taste. The only thing this cheap beer is good for is impressing people with how many cans you can finish off. The aroma has a faint malt aroma with no hops but has the typical lager smell. Good beer for a cookout, but not worthy of a session beer.

1.2/5  rDev -35.1%

This beer poured a very light yellow color with a white head that was gone before I could take a sip. There was really no lacing. The smell was a very faint light malt smell.

The taste is best was a very light malt flavor that was extremely over carbonated, no real taste to speak of and very watery. The mouthfeel was all CO2, that basically hid what little taste there was.

Not a beer that I would recommend.

2.85/5  rDev +54.1%

Ultraaa!!

A- Very Light transparent. Very clear.

S- Very light and timid.

T- Timid, watered down variation of Michelob Light.

M- Lacking in taste and mouthfeel. It definitely wants to be Ultra Light.

D- Drinkability is good due to its empty flavor and smell.

I would recommend this beer to those who like Michelob Light and water.

Note: I'm only reviewing this because it was free.
A - Clear lemon juice color that is really more or less colorless. Absolutely no head....even with an agressive pour. A tiny collar of soapy bubbles rings the glass.

S - Doesn't smell like anything really. Only the faintest hint of macro lager adjucts can be detected. This really has no smell at all.

T - Seltzer water. I've never had a beer that was quite as bland and tasteless as this one. I can't really say that it tastes bad because it really doesn't taste like anything at all.

M - Seltzer water. Ridiculously carbonated and as thin as water.

D - If you are thirsty, this is as good as water. This is no real beer though. For someone just looking to get drunk with as little interference from the tastebuds as possible, this is you weapon of choice. I'll never drink this again.

1.8/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: An ultra-clear yellow. Like a thimble of urine poured into a liter of water. The only thing that saves this from a 1 is that it has a head. Nose is incredibly faint grains. Taste is mild corn, and nothing else. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Drinkability is similar to that of water.

1.85/5  rDev 0%

From a 12 oz bottle with born on date 11 Jan 07. Into a chilled glass the color of weak lemonade. Very pale yellow with numerous bubbles like seltzer, heavy carbonation in pour. Vigorous pour yields a thin white head that quickly fades to a ring, and surprisingly, some lacing. Nose is grassy-sweet and almost soda-like. There’s a slight metallic tang. Tastes dry with a corn flavor and a bit of sweetness. No hops evident. Basically adjuncts and water. Mouth is like fizzy water, insubstantial, basically dissipating on the tongue. Drinkability is far below par. I can’t think of any compelling reason to drink even one of these.

Overall: A true ultra-light: light taste, light body, light enjoyability. A terrible excuse for a beer; even thinner than a Coors Light. Avoid.

1.61/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Please hold off any lo-carb jokes for now, we'll get to those later. I have a beer to review:

The head is a bit of a surprise (heck, it even leaves lacing on the glass), but the body is very pale and colorless. If you got this beer from the show "Iron Brewer", you would swear the secret ingredient was rice. There's just a trace of corn, but whatever little flavor there is neutral from the rice. No aftertaste follows (there's a surprise).

I though I would see this beer in museums by now, but long after the Atkins diet fad, I still see people drink this stuff. Speaking of Atkins, how is eating a pound of bacon healthier than eating one apple? I'm not going to buy into something like that, and neither should you. The only reasons to drink this are to add to your beers reviewed list and to remind you this is "beer" to the lowest common denomenator.

1.7/5  rDev -8.1%

This barely tastes like beer. I drank it only because there was nothing else available. OK, so I've been spoiled by imports and craft brews, but I am glad to be that way! At least I can appreciate the taste of genuine beer, as opposed to American macro-brew pseudo-beer. I hardly tasted it and hardly felt it going down; it might as well have been flat ginger ale.

As the joke goes, light beers are like doing gymnastics on the beach - flippin' close to water.

1.45/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Light straw, Crystal clear. One finger head that diminished quickly leaving little to no lace.

Smell: Cooked corn kind of lacking strength.

Taste: Bitter, acidic, virtually no hops. Defiantly has a hint of corn. Clean finish with little after taste.

Mouthfeel: Watery, Light extremely carbonated.

Drinkability: One could drink many of these if he did not desire flavor and complexity. I found it rather tasteless and boring.

1.31/5  rDev -29.2%

At first glance this beer's appearance isnt as bad as other light macros but, as they say, looks can be deceiving. Hardly any aromas to speak of. Maybe some mild metallic and corny husk. This beer literally tastes like seltzer with a bit of malt flavoring added. It's just awful. It's about as light as a beer can get. This is what people who don't really like beer drink or chicks who think they are watching their weight. Big time pass on this.

1.32/5  rDev -28.6%

Decided to review this after it was left in my fridge after New Years Eve. Poured a lighter than pale yellow with a thin-carbon filled head. Similar to a soft drink. It smells bready with little substance. This is continued into the taste... bready with little taste and heavy carbonation. The carbonation dominates the mouthfeel. If you can drink carbonated water, this is drinkable. Poured this one out after 1/3 of the glass. No thank you.

2.92/5  rDev +57.8%

330ml bottle found in a night shop in Hammersmith, London. Best before Jan 07, drank Dec 06.

Very pale golden liquid, with no head at all, not even a hint of one.

A sweet, almost toffee aroma seemed to hit my nose, which didn't transfer into the taste. Euro lager, a Dort or Pilsner style would have been my guess if this had been a blind tasting, no way would I have thought this had been brewed outside Europe. A bit watery, with a tinge of apple, but nothing offensive or great about this beer in my opinion.

I am not a lager drinker normally, but got this purely because of this site, so I could review it. I must be getting sad in my old age!

1.78/5  rDev -3.8%

I was over at a friend of a friend's house and this was one of the limited choices. I think I might just choose water next time. It's all been said before: urine colored, limp foam, no flavor, taste, nor decent mouthfeel. Heard rumors that they use synthetic hops. Very popular with the south beach crew looking to "cut carbs."

However, you are all overlooking the actual best usage for the beer. It does make a good marinade for shellfish. We've also used it before as the base of steaming shrimp and crabs. Cheap, easy, and doesn't pain me to use because I don't want to drink it.

2.1/5  rDev +13.5%

This was a hard beer to rate, mainly becaiuse it was like rating a glass of water...not bad, just nothing to it. I have to say that this was the clearest beer I’ve ever seen. Poured from the bottle, it looked like a carbonated water, with little to no head or lacing. Aroam and taste were not necessarily bad, but again, nothing to them.

I really don’t know why people wouild spend money on this stuff. if you are that weight and health conscious, just drink water out of the tap, and forget about paying for the dark bottle and Michelob label.

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch