Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
1.35/5  rDev -26.6%

Pours a white, five finger head that vanishes within a minute leaving no lace . Clear, very pale amber color. Very light carbonation and very light bodied. Nose is faintly hoppy and malty. Starts on the sweet side but tastes like flavored water. Finish is like drinking water - nothing there. $1.49 for a 12oz bottle from Concord Farm, Concord, NH.

jdhilt, Jul 20, 2005
2.73/5  rDev +48.4%

This is a very pale beer, very light yellow color. Virtually no head retention or lacing, reminds me of club soda. Taste and smell are very light,added carbonation makes for a pleasent mouthfeel. It succeeds in its style of a very light, low-carb beer you can drink without becoming intoxicated quickly. This is an excellent choice for those willing to exchange taste for drinkability.

PBRstreetgang, Jul 09, 2005
2.78/5  rDev +51.1%

Very light beer, with the attitude of a very light beer. There is very little smell, taste, feel or appearance to this beer, but thats what its for. It pours light yellow, with a slight malt smell. Tastes very watery and very plain with very little alcohol. Plus side is that if your looking for a beer with little kick, some alcohol, but fewer cards and calories, this beer has it.

robertp1024, Jul 07, 2005
2.2/5  rDev +19.6%

Hahahha, hahah, hahah.

This has to be the least offending beer to the pitiful American palate ever made.

Pours an ultra light straw with a white head that fizzles to nothing. Active carbonation.

Smells a bit like grain, but its very faint.

Upfront ultra light malt presence with a fragment of grain, and the ever so briefest flash of the possibly 5 or 6 IBUs of bitterness. Finishes a touch sweet.

Water thin body.

I could drink glass after glass of this, and I don't find anything wrong with the flavor, however, this does not qualify to be a beer by any means. It is the closest to water that you will ever get, except that you get drunk eventually. Michelob ultra symbolizes all that is wrong with the beer industry.

beersarang, Jun 30, 2005
1.63/5  rDev -11.4%

Another one where I didn't feel a glass was warranted. Looking through the bottle I'd say this was a clear yellow and it showed almost no head after opening. Smell was like an empty bottle of regular Michelob after being rinsed out....Twice.

Taste, hmmm... Sorta like bottled water with a dash of mild grainy flavor and very mild carbonation.

Mouthfeel was like water too!

Although not bad in any way, I don't see the reason for making, or buying this stuff.

BrewMaven, Jun 26, 2005
2.03/5  rDev +10.3%

Very pale straw yellow-ish color with virtually no to low white head and low carbonation. Strong adjunct cooked-corn aroma and flavor with not much else. Very light bodied and watery.

Quite possibly the wateriest beer I've ever tasted...

Label States: "Low carbohydrate light beer" & 95 cal, 2.6 g Carb, .6g Prot, 0 Fat

Born On: 05/30/05
Tasted: 06/17/05

RBorsato, Jun 23, 2005
2.1/5  rDev +14.1%

Fizzy water with a hint of beer taste. Yep, you gotta love this "low-carb" wonder. It's all it claims to be, and more! It almost looks like beer when poured, but it's depressing so better to just drink from the bottle. At least the bottle is a nice dark color.

Lacking in taste, this beer is fast to drink, if you can avoid the day old frat house smell. Again, better to just leave it in the bottle to reduce the aroma. I guess it's better than drinking warm scotch, but not by mutch.

TPSReports, Jun 05, 2005
1.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Of all the light beers I drank at a recent wedding this was the easiest to get through. It look like colored water with no lacing left by the head of white bubbles. There was some taste to this beer of cook grain. This beer only survives past water due to the high carbonation level. I see beer farts in my future. I would drink this if I had to have a light beer, but most likely I would have a scotch on the rocks.

Higravity, May 23, 2005
1.2/5  rDev -34.8%

Poured this bad boy right into my favorite drinking glass. Poured an strange, clear, pale yellow color into my glass. Head formed but immediately disappeared-->feeling this is going to be very unenjoyable.

Appearance: I wouldn't be able to clearly identify this as beer by sight alone. As described before. It has lots of rising bubbles but no head retention, like soda.

Smell: Not a terrible smell. Smells like beer, but uninteresting and can pick up on a sour smell.

Taste: Crisp and clean, but with a major off flavor due to the adjuncts. The taste is not the worst I have had but terrible.

Mouthfeel: too much like seltzer water (incidentally it tastes a lot like this as well).

Notes: Not really a fan of the whole attempt to get carbs out of beer. So you save 40 calories or so, go run for 3 minutes every beer you pound down. You lose too much flavor, which may be a good thing with some of the mass produced beers.

cracgor, May 11, 2005
2.35/5  rDev +27.7%

Okay, it was the lesser of two evils. However, this was not so bad today . . . hanging out at the Wachovia Open in Charlotte during the third round. Beautiful day to enjoy a beer, so what the heck. Typical light beer qualities. Very easy to down, especially in 85 degree heat. Not a bad memory in the least.

Backer2004, May 09, 2005
2.33/5  rDev +26.6%

to say this beer is watered down is an understatment. i guess this beer would be good for someone on the low carb diet, other than that i see no real use for it other than ocassional because although the taste is nearly nothing it still has more taste than bud light, but that does not say much.

twi1609372, May 05, 2005
1.1/5  rDev -40.2%

This was beer?! Had this been a blind tasting, I would have thought someone snuck in a sample from the local urology lab. It looked like someone had accidentally spilled a drop of yellow food coloring in a glass of tap water. There was no aroma (since when does tap water have an aroma other than chlorine?). The mouthfeel was a cross between a very old Alka Seltzer tablet and a flat Tab. It primarily tasted like stagnant pond water with a slight suggestion of a hop or an open, month-old near-beer. But other than that, it was pretty good...

MichaelMeister, May 02, 2005
1.78/5  rDev -3.3%

I dont know what to say about this that hasnt already been said. No taste at all, whith little to no smell. Carbonation is really high and it taste like club soda. I think there trying to faze out this product with the new bud select. The sad thing is I could most likely drink about 10 of them cause its so close to water.

RoBotGod, Mar 26, 2005
1.4/5  rDev -23.9%

The beer pours a very pale watery yellow with what initially appears to be a large, soapy head, but quickly disapates to an unappetizing film. Smell is pretty faint, hard to tell if there's any beer in my glass. And it, unfortunately, tastes like it smells, i.e. hard to tell that I'm drinking beer and not befouled water. If you concentrate you may notice a hint of acid or lemon or something ... but its soon gone. If you vigorously swish the beer around in your mouth it will foam a bit, so I guess that helps. The good thing is, if you like to drink a lot of beers in one sitting, you can probably drink about a thousand of these without becoming inebriated. But why?

I think the best way to describe this beer is - selzer. You know the unsugared, but slightly flavored kind. Just a little bitter, just a little flavor and a bunch of suds in your mouth. Perhaps the least flavor I've ever tasted in a beer (and would probably rank below several brands of selzer water).

scaliasux, Mar 12, 2005
2.13/5  rDev +15.8%

served in an American pint glass

A-very clear only a hint of pale yellow color and a white rocky head that only last for a few seconds. High carbonation

S- a faint sweet smell with the hint of green apples. No hops or malt detected

T- a very dry crisp flavor with no malt and very dry finish. a faint hop bitterness or maybe its just a slight acidity that is like carbonated water taste.

M- a light body that has a carbonated fizzyness to it.

D- If I rated this solely on the BJCP style guidelines it would have been a high rating for its class but I just don't get any malt or hops or even adjunct flavors because it is so light. It is refreshing to drink but it’s not my choice when I want to drink "beer".

rhoadsrage, Mar 01, 2005
1.55/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Listed as an adjunct lager, but too me it's one of the low carb beers. Review alonside other low carb beers to compare to Bud Select.

Appearance: Clear, pale gold/yellow. Foamy head that was gone in a flash. No lacing, plenty of champagne-like bubbles.

Smell: Nothing natural like. Adjunct almost chemical smell, and that was only after breathing in deep.

Taste: The good news is there is little taste. The bad news is, what little taste there is it is horrible, almost an unnaturalness to it. Bad tasting water.

Mouthfeel: Thin, watery an well carbonated.

Drinkability: I'm going to have to give the others away. I had a freebie from the Bud distributor when this came out. I thought it sucked. Now I don't think it sucks, I kknow. The number one thing I had heard, and an opinion I also formed is that regular beer drinkers (and I'm not just talking BA here but BMC guy) do not like this, but the casual beer drinker (especially one up for the low carb fad) loves it. I have seen this first hand.

BigRedN, Feb 23, 2005
1.45/5  rDev -21.2%

The problem with this "beer" is that, if you have it after you've had any other sort of beer, you can't taste it. After having Stoudt's American Pale Ale, I wanted to see exactly if Mich Ultra would be ok. I didn't expect seltzer water. In a pint glass, set next to my beer, it looked like someone put a drop of gold coloring in Sprite. The taste, nonexistent.

Scheity, Feb 07, 2005
1.5/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Ummm well, new low carb beer. Poured this into a glass, looks like what you would expect from an adjunct beer, a very light golden color, with little head, and very bubbly. The nose is well, hard to describe, maybe mineral water with some very subtle graininess. The taste is like the nose, mineral water and some slight grains. Mouthfeel very bubbly, agian like sparkling mineral water. Drinkability could theoretically be a five, but at 95 calories a bottle, I would rather drink san pellegrino mineral water. Low carb and most lite beer is garbage. Just drink one real beer instead of two of these no taste beers, and you will be consuming almost the same amount of calories. America, eat less french fries and drink more beer, real beer!!!

aquaderek, Feb 07, 2005
1.35/5  rDev -26.6%

Good grief, just drink water and save your money – NO calories or carbs that way. This carbonated seltzer water with a beer name has to be the weakest stuff I’ve ever had. Doesn’t have a *bad* taste, but should no taste, aroma, mouth feel actually count as a beer? Still, I finished it, so it’s not getting a bottom of the barrel score.

Vancer, Feb 07, 2005
1.05/5  rDev -42.9%

A buddy of mine hosting his off-training party dared me to drink one of these, betting my "sophisticated beer palate" *his words* wouldn't allow me to finish the whole thing. This is where pride gets in the way...
Offered in a standard pint glass, MicU had to be the palest brew I laid eyes on, just water with a drop or two of yellow dye #2 diluted. A fizzy white head flared and died in an instant.
The smell was non-existent. Tried smelling tap water? Same, same. No malt, no hops, not even something 'off', just nothing. The taste actually displayed a faint husky malt and corn syrup flavor and a ghostly metallic note at the very back of my tongue. The feel was like tonic water, very light and spritzy thanks to a plethora of carbonation.
I had no problem downing this "beer". Hell, it was like drinking water and I do that all day. However, as beers go, this is simply taking advantage of those people out there fearful of carbs and lacking much beer appreciation. As for me, I came, I drank, I won't have it again. Any BA seeing me holding one in the future has my permission to beat me to a bloody pulp. I deserve it.

Boilermaker88, Feb 02, 2005
1.53/5  rDev -16.8%

Got some at a company event today. Decided I might as well review it.

Pale pale straw color, crystal clear. Slight head, but poor lacing. Grainy, corn-like aroma. Fairly dry, with a little graininess. No hops, almost no malt, just nothing. I'm sure it takes a high degree of brewing craft to brew a beer this tasteless. The lack of any flaws lets me give it a 1.5 instead of a 1. Thin & watery body.

Not the worst beer I've ever had, but possibly the blandest.

I hate it when our company sends completely beer-ignorant employees out to pick up drinks for an event. Last time they sent me, I came back with over $130 worth of Unibroues, Chimay, Stone Brewing, Hobgoblin, Weihenstephan, Fuller's, etc.

allengarvin, Jan 20, 2005
2.75/5  rDev +49.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance-clarity is ok, not much head, a fizziness that spews up and then dissapears fairly quickly.

Smell-a spicy aroma along with some grain, hops are actually noticable, not nearly as clean as I thought although certaintly not great

Taste-light certaintly, fuller than some others, goes down smooth, hops don't linger at all it goes down leaving nary a trace.

Mouthfeel-light without much of an aftertaste, fairly crisp, not bad at all.

Drinkability- I drink stronger beers than this, but for those that are into this they can have as many as they want.

Overall-I don't hate this nearly as much as I thought I would, not a bad choice for those just starting on beer but the market it's intended for is idiotic. You should definitley choose others over this (i.e. non-light beer) but this does carry decent quality I guess.

TheDeuce, Jan 14, 2005

if any of you who are beer advocates like this beer, then you should be ashamed. so light that you can see through it, no head, no taste, no nothing. you dont even save yourself calories or whatever if you were to drink a real beer. it should be taken off of the isle forever

sachsich, Dec 30, 2004
1.18/5  rDev -35.9%

I tried this one just out of curiosity. It was born on December 2, 2004. It poured a pale, pale yellow with a slight white head that seemed to vanish instantly. The smell is... of... um... not much, maybe some malt and a touch of hops, but that's it. The taste is very light and left a strange aftertaste that words cannot quite describe. The mouthfeel is very, very thin and a bit too carbonated. It's like drinking seltzer water. I'll make it a point to never drink this one again. It is the polar opposite of what I usually drink.

soulfly967, Dec 14, 2004
3.2/5  rDev +73.9%

I have to admit I didn't hate this as much as I thought I would.
Aroma is light spicy hoppy/yeasty that's typical for a light beer.
I'm not sure how mauch paler it can get. Full white fizzy head. Watery clear.
Not much flavor. Slightly acidy bite towards the end. Carbonation seems to contribute. Very short finish, but what is there has a sour quality. Balanced hops and malts.
Fullness from tons of carbonation, otherwise pert near water.
I don't hate this. Considering what it's trying to accomplish it's alright.
I got this for $.10 from a pop maching at the ranch I was staying at in the Black Hills. Nice people. Good trip.
Again scores are in comparison to style, not all beers.

garymuchow, Dec 12, 2004