Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob UltraMichelob Ultra

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
Reviews: 570 | Hads: 2,070

This used to be one of my favourite beers when I didn't like the bitterness, I went back to taste it again, well, definitely is not something precious, but I don't think that is so bad as the scores here, it might just be for different kind of drinkers, yes, it's actually too soft and almost like drinking water, but there are some people who like this kind of beer, so if you like it go for it.

Wow, this place is loaded with snobs. Beer enthusiasts are getting bad raps because of haters that crap on everything that isn't 100 ibus. Beer is beer, folks are getting snobbier than the wineos at my restaurant. It's a cheap, clean beer meant to be drank out of a can, on the golf course, around a fire, or just when you dont feel like sinking 12-16 bucks on a six pack. It is what it is beer snobs.

4.5/5  rDev +145.9%

I am not sure why people dislike it so much. For 20 bottles it was 12$. Great buy. It is a great beer to relax and drink with. It does the trick but it has decent quality and taste when you compare it to other light beers in the same price range. It has a sweet taste that doesn't linger.

I have friends who buy nothing but this stuff and I will never understand why.

The appearance and taste are not remarkable. Pale gold look with almost no distinctive taste. I see people saying they detect hints of certain things but i can't honestly say I tasted anything worth noting.

Look, I love beer. So if I'm offered one I will probably take it. But I would buy natural ice before I bought this stuff. Hey, at least nattie ice will give you a buzz with the 5.9% abv. I once drank 30 mich ultras during a canoe trip and wasn't even drunk at the end. If you want to have something in your hand, but don't want taste or to get drunk...this is the beer for you.

1.72/5  rDev -6%

Pale gold and light straw body; big fizzy head that rapidly fades to a bare wisp; lots of lively carbonation bubbles. Mild citrus and green grass aroma. Bright, watery cereal grain flavor with only a feeble sense of hop bitterness. Light, dry body; coarse due to the big bubble carbonation.

An outstanding beer as long as you want something that's a notch above swill and aren't really for any true beer taste or smell experience. Highly recommended for those who can't stand the idea of drinking anything with substance!

1.42/5  rDev -22.4%

Light yellow color with apparent carbonation and a two finger fluffy head with short retention.
Really bland corn syrup aroma.
Flavor of water with corn sugar, and that is it.
Is it lighter than water? Carbo holds up well for a long time.
I know this is supposed to be a light beer, but this is ridiculous. So bland that even off-flavors are not heavy.
Ap.2,25 Ar.2 Sab.1 Sens.1 Cj.1,5

1.1/5  rDev -39.9%

Chick beer for those watching their weight. For those of us who want to taste their beer, do yourself a favor and steer clear of this sorry excuse for a beer. The world would be a better place if this didn't exist.

1.67/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Type: 12-oz. can
Glass: Firestone pint glass
From: VONS in Normal Heights (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $0.75 (w/ VONS card & on clearance)
Purchased: July 18, 2014
Consumed: Aug. 8, 2014
Misc.: Born on May 31, 2014

Poured a pale, slightly green, clear color with two fingers of frothy white head that dissipated almost immediately. Lots of streams of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. Minimal foamy lacing. Minimal-to-no retention.

Smelled honey, corn, grass, light Kix cereal or Corn Pops, and light sour fruit. Not much too here.

Tasted pretty close to the nose, which is basically thin and tasteless. Got corn, grass, honey, cereal & water.

Light body. Thin texture. Soft carbonation. Abrupt, watery finish. Refreshing though.

Wow, pretty awful. No flavor. Basically just drinking water with a tad bid of alcohol.

I thought this was way better than many adjunct lagers I've had, but it really takes a beating here on the site. It's awful, yes, but not as awful as some.

1.98/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Got this one on tap during happy hour- it was 1/2 off, and I thought I'd give it a try. Without a doubt, one of the worst beers I've had.
Had a decent appearance- light golden yellow, semi-transparent. It had a short-lived small head and no lacing.
Smell- almost none. Very faint trace of grassy wheat.
Taste- very watery. Could hardly taste the beer, it was more like carbonated water than anything. Pretty disgusting. A faint bitterness, and somewhat grassy corn. Made me want to gag towards the end of the glass.
Mouthfeel- Thin, watery, overcarbonated. Not much there.
Overall- I tried it, now I know. Probably won't drink again unless I get it free somewhere.

2.54/5  rDev +38.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Some folks either hate this beer with a passion or find it surprisingly pleasant. After a long night at work, I fall into the second category. I can always have an Ultra without regret and I've got to say its probably one of the best light beers for me, and only second in line (next to Budweiser Select Original) for the best of the featherweight beers (below 100 calories).

Appearance (2.5) - paper thin body with a pale yellow appearance. Almost water-like transparency. Affable foamy head that recedes to nothing not long after. Leaves licks of lacing in the glass. Surprised by this.

Smell (3) - light fruit smells - a bit of citrus, grape, and cantelope; fresh corn, buttered cracker. A notch above the light macros out there.

Taste & Mouthfeel (2) : Robust but thin. its got a good flavor (if somewhat flavorless) but it vaporizes before you swallow. its quite possibly the easiest drinking light beer there is as it virtually turns to water before you swallow. It's got some dirty corn, off-brand wheat club cracker, biscuit malts, backed by a light distant white grape flavor.

Overall - I'm usually a bit of a snob. But for a light beer, this one has some character. Its not offensive - and even though Coors Light and Miller Lite taste better, this is better than Bud Light by a mile. Give it a fair shot, you might even like it.

One of the better options of the mass produced light lagers out there. It is light, crisp, and refreshing. No frills, just to the point.

Worth a visit if looking for a cheap refreshing beer.

1.23/5  rDev -32.8%

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Crystal clear champagne colored body. White soda pop fizzy head that disappears to nothing fast, no lacing.

Aroma: Very sweet champagne like aroma, very light malts, faint metallic notes.

Taste: A very processed, mechanical, metallic beginning with hardly any natural grain or malt body. There's an almost sharp grape note before the carbonated finish.

Mouthfeel: Between water and soda.

Overall: This beer tries so hard to be so light that it loses the plot.

1.32/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Pours a fizzy pissy yellow, with a one inch head, and no lacing.

Smells like nothing. Very watery.

It tastes quite watery. There's only 90 calories here, and it shows. Some skunky tastes, with more vegetal hop tastes. Just. not. good.

Watery mouthfeel, slightly crisp near the end. High carbonation. Kinda makes me want to vomit.

1.58/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

if "pooft" was a beer style, this would be the beer that epitomized the style. I could have sworn I was drinkiing something akin to kiwi or grape seltzer water (not sure why I was getting fruity smells and tastes from this beer, but I was). I guess if you technically stretch the definition of beer far enough, it could conceivably be possible to include this beverage, but I'm not sure why you'd want to. Should be marketed as some sort of wine cooler thing because beer it really ain't. This beer is proof that if you spend enough time building a brand, people will buy almost anything. Lucky for me this can was a freebie which I attempted to consume for the purposes of doing a review. I finished slightly more than half, I thought that was doing pretty good.

2.72/5  rDev +48.6%

This is an easily fogotten beer as it has no outstanding qualities. About the best thing to say is that it is low calorie.

I generally favor pale, thin style beers. However, there was no one thing about this beer to make me say I enjoyed it or would pick it over other pale ale.

The beer looks pale and thin, without much of a head.

It smelled faintly hoppy and yeasty, moreso than I would expect from a pale ale with hardly any calories.

The taste was forgettable, with a hint of bitter aftertaste that I did not particularly enjoy.

The mouthfeel was similar to other thin beers, in that it was almost like water.

This beer gets a general shrug from me. The only reason I might pick it up would be if I was counting my calories and was too lazy to go running to burn off my beer intake.

4.17/5  rDev +127.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I'm diabetic with high triglycerides...not supposed to drink beer or whiskey, on both counts. From more healthy days, WAY back, my top three beers were Warsteiner, Becks, and Michelob Light. I'm not supposed to drink ANY beer, but I sneak one every month or so. So far, the only beer that doesn't impact my physical conditions (on a ONE beer serving only basis) is Michelob Ultra. Admittedly, it doesn't have the qualities of a Warsteiner or a Becks (which would now yield me "Alley Oop" ankles, on one serving) but it does compare favorably (for me) to Michelob Light, my favorite American beer. Ultra is not one of my top three beers, but if I want to avoid painful swelling in my ankles & lower legs while enjoying a single beer a month...it is my ONLY beer and I am truly grateful for it. It is enjoyable, and that's what it's now all about, for me!

2.05/5  rDev +12%

On tap at a party at a friend's home poured into standard pint glass.

A - A very pale yellow with a weak and fleeting head. Zero lacing.

S - Practically no smell to speak of.

T - I can't say it's "bad" because it has almost no taste. The good thing is that you can't taste that adjuncts either.

M - Like drinking water - seriously.

O - I hadn't had a Michelob Ultra in a long time and now I remember why. I did some investigation among the party guests who were drinking a fair amount of the stuff and got the typical "I don't like the stuff you drink" answer. Oh well, to each his own.

1.28/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Not going to go into a full review of this beer.

Lets just say that it does not taste like beer, does not look like beer and if I had a choice of this or no beer I would go without.

I understand the effort to make light beer for those trying to watch carbs or calories but if this is what you have to resort to you should just quit beer all together.

1.06/5  rDev -42.1%

I don't review beers too often...but somehow I came across this on BA and memories of drinking the worst beer I've ever had were conjured up. It was a few years ago when this beer was released. A few friends of mine gathered at a local pub. The Michelob Girls showed up with free shirts and beer in buckets full of ice. They gave us all free bottles to try, and the funny thing is...after tasting the Michelob Ultra, we all ended up tossing the free Michelob and buying our own real beer. Avoid this if you enjoy beer with substance, flavor and soul.

4.76/5  rDev +160.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

After lengthy test of human endurance, man prefers to be rewarded with this magnificent brew. Cans are the prefered container due to their low weight for packing on a cycling, sailing, or skiing adventure. The slender size makes the cans perfect for packing into ones jeans. Optimally cans can be inserted through the front zipper stashed in the jeans above the ski boots. The cans are often purchased by the "30" as they are assorted into a beautiful suitcase. In ones hands delicate fingers wrap effortlessly to ensure a tight grip. The feeling of holding a slender tall yet athletic can can only be compared to the exhilarating feel of yachting on the mediterranean after a grueling cycle through the dolomites. The taste is world renowned. Some have compared the taste to that of a very young yet well fed flamingo, oh how delicious they are. After consumption the body feels a great pleasure which has no equal. The smell brings ill prepared man to his knees for it is unrivaled. As the beer slides down a man's throat he oft not forget how powerful each day he breathes earths air can be.

3.43/5  rDev +87.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz : pint

Clear pale golden yellow with a fizzy white head.

Grainy, floral adjunct lager profile in both the aroma and taste.

Medium body, slightly crisp finish, fizzy carbonation.

A decent beer for the style. I enjoyed my bottle for what it was, and it did help pouring in the glass instead of drinking from a bottle as is typically done with this style.

1.32/5  rDev -27.9%

A Low Carbohydrate beer regarded by Yuppies as a Reward. Has a very pale yellow appearance which culminates in a flavor profile of some light malt meets corn, and a slightly watery note of virtually no hops to balance out the water flavor. Tastes to me like seltzer water with a very slight hint of Michelob Light, itself no beer of character. With the slightest hint of a floral grain note. I'd much rather drink a sip of a real lager beer or ale which is decent than this horrid swill if I had to watch carbs and calories. To me, this is punishment, not a reward after a hard workout. I regard this as a beer insult even to low end BMC swill. So, you have a low rating. For many of us, this would take a dozen to not make you want more. So, horrid value for the money. So, please look elsewhere for a light lager and drink fewer and be happier. Ultra Swill I call this.

3.45/5  rDev +88.5%

You know what a long time ago I didn't like this stuff for some reason, but I have drank a lot and I drink all the time

and this stuff even though it has a low alcohol content is actually amazing and taste so clean and beautiful.

this is one of the best beers!! ... if you have the money

1.48/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1

Canned 11/17/13.

Pours a clear super light yellow with a foamy off-white head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is watery with some malt, grain, corn, and vegetal aromas. Taste is much the same with watery and bland sweet grain, corn, and vegetal flavors on the finish. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a horrible beer that is barely drinkable with it's sweet and vegetal aromas and flavors.

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch