Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
Reviews: 577 | Hads: 2,097
1.28/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Not going to go into a full review of this beer.

Lets just say that it does not taste like beer, does not look like beer and if I had a choice of this or no beer I would go without.

I understand the effort to make light beer for those trying to watch carbs or calories but if this is what you have to resort to you should just quit beer all together.

1.06/5  rDev -42.4%

I don't review beers too often...but somehow I came across this on BA and memories of drinking the worst beer I've ever had were conjured up. It was a few years ago when this beer was released. A few friends of mine gathered at a local pub. The Michelob Girls showed up with free shirts and beer in buckets full of ice. They gave us all free bottles to try, and the funny thing is...after tasting the Michelob Ultra, we all ended up tossing the free Michelob and buying our own real beer. Avoid this if you enjoy beer with substance, flavor and soul.

4.76/5  rDev +158.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

After lengthy test of human endurance, man prefers to be rewarded with this magnificent brew. Cans are the prefered container due to their low weight for packing on a cycling, sailing, or skiing adventure. The slender size makes the cans perfect for packing into ones jeans. Optimally cans can be inserted through the front zipper stashed in the jeans above the ski boots. The cans are often purchased by the "30" as they are assorted into a beautiful suitcase. In ones hands delicate fingers wrap effortlessly to ensure a tight grip. The feeling of holding a slender tall yet athletic can can only be compared to the exhilarating feel of yachting on the mediterranean after a grueling cycle through the dolomites. The taste is world renowned. Some have compared the taste to that of a very young yet well fed flamingo, oh how delicious they are. After consumption the body feels a great pleasure which has no equal. The smell brings ill prepared man to his knees for it is unrivaled. As the beer slides down a man's throat he oft not forget how powerful each day he breathes earths air can be.

3.43/5  rDev +86.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz : pint

Clear pale golden yellow with a fizzy white head.

Grainy, floral adjunct lager profile in both the aroma and taste.

Medium body, slightly crisp finish, fizzy carbonation.

A decent beer for the style. I enjoyed my bottle for what it was, and it did help pouring in the glass instead of drinking from a bottle as is typically done with this style.

1.32/5  rDev -28.3%

A Low Carbohydrate beer regarded by Yuppies as a Reward. Has a very pale yellow appearance which culminates in a flavor profile of some light malt meets corn, and a slightly watery note of virtually no hops to balance out the water flavor. Tastes to me like seltzer water with a very slight hint of Michelob Light, itself no beer of character. With the slightest hint of a floral grain note. I'd much rather drink a sip of a real lager beer or ale which is decent than this horrid swill if I had to watch carbs and calories. To me, this is punishment, not a reward after a hard workout. I regard this as a beer insult even to low end BMC swill. So, you have a low rating. For many of us, this would take a dozen to not make you want more. So, horrid value for the money. So, please look elsewhere for a light lager and drink fewer and be happier. Ultra Swill I call this.

3.45/5  rDev +87.5%

You know what a long time ago I didn't like this stuff for some reason, but I have drank a lot and I drink all the time

and this stuff even though it has a low alcohol content is actually amazing and taste so clean and beautiful.

this is one of the best beers!! ... if you have the money

1.48/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1

Canned 11/17/13.

Pours a clear super light yellow with a foamy off-white head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is watery with some malt, grain, corn, and vegetal aromas. Taste is much the same with watery and bland sweet grain, corn, and vegetal flavors on the finish. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a horrible beer that is barely drinkable with it's sweet and vegetal aromas and flavors.

1.94/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Sampled back on 11/10/13. Chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a straw-yellow like cider with a very small white fizzy head that doesn't last long. Some very light spotty lacing was seen but very little. High carbonation hence all the tiny bubbles every where. The aroma is not too much really, just a light grain. The taste was almost like seltzer water with really no flavor. Slight metallic taste as well for some reason.

2.34/5  rDev +27.2%

A = fizzy and yellow, like most AAL's. Nothing to write home about

S = Apple cider, some cereal graininess, cooked corn, some hop presence

T = Very sweet, apple/white grape juice-like flavor, cooked corn, very little hop bitterness.

M = Spritzy, not quite as seltzer-like as Bud Light but close, very slick and watery, thin

O = One of the better AAL's in my opinion, good as a thirst quencher and not much else. May as well drink a glass of sparkling cider or grape juice.

1.55/5  rDev -15.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into pilsener
(born on July 31, 2013)

L: clear as water, white wine; light pale yellow; hard pour renders about an inch of white, big-bubbled, whispy foam that doesn't stick much; very little lacing; tons of bubbles flying up the column, leave a decent pattern and collar on top; honestly, looks very similar to a good pilsener i recently tried

S: lemon peel and flowers at first, but it devolves into very weak lemon peel; muted grain ... not even good grain, just really weak watered down grain

T: lemon water; carbonated water with a pinch of sugar tossed in; it gets worse as it warms ... about the only beer i've ever seen do this -- and by "worse," i mean the bit of sweetness leaves and you're left with carbonated lemon peel water

F: watery; that hard pour has taken away a lot of this beer's carbonation pop -- i've tried it with a soft pour and found great carbonation

O: honestly, i'd rather drink water. if i'm going to consume 2.6 grams of carbohydrates, 95 calaories and 4.2% ABV, i'd rather take two sips of a good stout or half a true german or czech pilsener than waste the energy on this.

i drank three of these things over a month period and tried to give the brew as fair a shake as possible in terms of a review. each time, all i taste is lemon water and about halfway into each one, it took a lot of energy not to drain pour it. just awful. not a good session beer, not good for a barbecue, not good for anything that a good cold glass of water can't give you equally (minus the alcohol).

3.03/5  rDev +64.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is what it is. Its an extremely light light beer. Drink enough of them, you'll get drunk. Eventually. I first started drinking it because my friend was a fitness guru and was strict about his calorie intake. And yet to this day, it is my go-to light beer. When I want to get drunk, I'm going for this. If I'm going to just enjoy a beer with a full meal, I'm going with a quality non-light beer. To me, Ultra is in a class above Miller Lite, Coors Light, and Bud Light. Honestly, this beer is best enjoyed on a hot day or golfing or if you are trying to lose weight but don't want to throw your entire day's worth of calories out with a couple beers. I do think this beer gets a bit of a bad reputation by people that just discard it as a "chick beer" or "beer-flavored water". If you're drinking it, you have to realize that it is what it is. If you want mountains of flavor, this isn't the beer for you. However for a light beer I do think this one has a great taste. If you are debating whether to try it or not because you're afraid your manhood will be questioned, just try it for yourself and form your own opinion.

2.3/5  rDev +25%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

A vigorous pour of Michelob Ultra yields the palest of pale straw-yellow bodies and a head that disappears in the blink of an eye and leaves no evidence it ever existed. Carbonation is vigorous at first. Then the large, soda-pop bubbles disappear and things calm down. A few vigorous swirls around the glass fail to produce any foam to speak of.

The nose is more appealing than expected. Watered-down cider and champagne come to mind.

The taste follows the nose, but adds flavors of seltzer water and alcohol. Bittering hops add crispness to the beer's cider-champagne flavors. I like this much more than I thought I would. Skunky "macro-brew" flavors are kept to a minimum thanks to the beer's extremely thin malt profile.

The beer is entirely too watery. Its carbonation is harsh at first, then disappears. Flat beer? No thanks.

I can think of a few reasons why beer drinkers might reach for a Michelob Ultra. It's a fine choice for beer drinkers who are counting calories and carbohydrates. Its crispness and wateriness are welcome characteristics on very hot afternoons. The thinness of its malt profile minimizes the nasty "skunk" flavors of American macro-lagers, making Ultra comparatively enjoyable. Indeed, I'd reach for a Michelob Ultra before any of the "big three" (Coors, Miller, Budweiser) or their light counterparts.

1.95/5  rDev +6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Not to much attention was paid to this beer as not much was expected however upon my first taste I was surprised that it actually had a decent flavor for being a big name beer. its one of the better light beers in this category in my opinion that's really all I have to say about that

1.95/5  rDev +6%

All right, the celebration's over; nothing to celebrate at all, really. So, this beer is almost completely clear, I would say the color is a milky whiter yellow. The head is probably milky white or off-white

The carbonation is fierce, too much carbonation to be objective.

Smells of metal, corn, and rice

Taste: I don't really taste anything except rice and corn. Slight bite at the finish that reminds me of drinking Pepsi too fast out of a straw as a child.

Mouthfeel: watery

Overall, I don't regret having this beer. But, if this is all you've got just drink water instead. Or just have a soda.

1.11/5  rDev -39.7%

Now that's an awful beer! Cracked open a slim can as it was the last beer in the beer fridge, leftover from a cookout a few weekends ago. Drank about half of it while watching the sox game and the rest went warm. Eventually dumped it out and got a glass of water, which was much more satisfying and had just about as much flavor. Hitting the craft beer store tomorrow!

1.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bottle; into a pilsner glass.
Appearance - looks about like what I'll be pissing out in about an hour.
Smell - I don't know...nail polish, I suppose.
Taste - better than sucking on a penny...tastes more like a nickel.
Feel - I need some wings or pizza to get this taste out of my mouth. I'd even take a rotten pistachio.
Overall - you get what you pay for. Thankfully it was free!

2.9/5  rDev +57.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Crystal clear pale straw color. Some little carbonation visible. White head was about a finger thick, then falls to a thin layer on top. One of the lightest light beers I've ever had. Oddly enough, I've got some Brussels lace towards the bottom of the pint.

Aroma when poured into a glass is not the most appealing. Smells metallic at first. Under that is a grainy, huskiness that doesn't promise much in the way of flavor.

The taste is not as bad as the aroma (thank god) and in fact has a pleasant taste overall, even if that taste is extremely light. Very crisp, light body. Smooth finish with only a little bite of carbonation. Light on flavor, fairly dry, but subtle suggestions of sweet malt. I believe this has rice instead of corn as an adjunct, which minimizes the overly sweet corn flavor in many light beers. This has just enough taste to pull through the light category and I'm not picking up much metallic flavor as is pretty common in light beers. Not much of an aftertaste to speak of, and leaves the palette almost as soon as it gets there.

This is nowhere near the worst beer out there, even in the light beer category. I found it pleasant enough to consume, and pretty terrible to smell. Most people who drink this probably don't pour it into a glass, so smell isn't something they are thinking about. I would not be buying this again, however, if I was in the situation of drinking light beer I know I'd be safe with this one.

1.95/5  rDev +6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Clear nearly transparent yellow colored brew. White fizzy short lived head. Aroma of dry cereal grains, namely corn and rice with some malt. There is a small note of grass. In the flavor, grain driven sweetness with a flash of mildly bitter hop that was a surprise. The flavor is quite light and goes away quickly. Watery, over carbonated body. Not the greatest beer here. My friend saw me drinking a bottle of this and grabbed it out of my hand and threw it into the back yard. I'd consider him a good friend and an even better person.

2.21/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Picked up a 12 oz single. I'm working my way down a big rack of singles and this came up. I was afraid.

App- Pale, pale yellow. Almost looked like a Belgian white but filtered. Crystal clear. Head fizzes quickly and is pure (maybe off-) white.

Sm- Clean water and adjuncts. I tried with all my might to smell the real beer ingredients but to no avail.

Ta- Clean water, corn/rice up front and in the middle. Back end finally revealed the malt. Still no hop character at all.

Mf- Water, water, water.

*Sigh* Am I one of "those" guys? Who hates every light beer? I hope not. I hope there's one thing out there that tickles my fancy enough that I don't cringe when hearing its name. This is now one of the former. Here is what this beer gives you: 90-something calories. The refreshing taste of ice cold water beer. Is that what they are going for? Probably. And that sucks. As a beverage, I guess it isn't half bad. It's meant, I suppose, to be drunk out of the bottle but I refuse. As a beer, it's bad. It's almost a non-beer. Don't recommend it. Get drunk on low-calorie liquor if that's what you want.

2.6/5  rDev +41.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Pours a very clear golden yellow color with very small carbonated head. Head retention and lacing are non-existent. Somewhat of a fruity aroma. Grains, cereal. Very grainy, straw-like taste. Maybe some hints of stale fruit, but not much. Light bodied. High carbonation. Only drank the beer to complete the review. Not again.

2.95/5  rDev +60.3%

From the 12 fl. oz. thin can marked 22APR13-OH88. Sampled on May 27, 2013.

So mine is the 11-hundredth review of this beer. I am honored to be a milestone reviewer.

This review is based solely on the style of a Light Lager. This looks a little thinner in the pale yellow color than a typical adjunct and it comes with a fizzy white head that dissolves in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

The aroma is grainy with corn, bread, and a clean, fresh but subtle hop bite. Pretty average for the style.

The body is little more watery than others in the style. So below average.

The taste is also a little bready with light pale malts, some sweetness, and a cool, clean hop finish to balance it out. So average.

Going entirely on style this is a refreshing and easy to quaff light lager but don't expect anything out of the ordinary. Just expect to be refreshed after a busy day mowing the lawn.

3.26/5  rDev +77.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I had earlier written I would never, ever, drink another light beer again...well, I lied, and for the most part I didn't regret it.

In my younger days, when I didn't know better, I thought Michelob was the best beer could get - ah, the foolishness of youth...anyway, Michelob will always have a special place in my heart, so I when I learned the restaurant had Mich Ultra, and I knew I never tried it, I thought, "What the heck." It pours an average yellow color, and it's head is short and short-lived. It does however have a good bit of lacing, which is surprising. The brew had a distant smell and taste of honey (of all things) mixed with the normal hoppy and malty flavors of a big-brewery beer. Mouthfeel was more than I expected - it was very bold for a light beer - also surprising. Overall, I gave it a slightly above average rating - most likely out of dumb, youthful loyalty seeping into my old age...

If you drink, please don't drive, and if you have to drive, then do us all a favor and don't drink...

1.57/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Literally, it is the color of urine, pale yellow.

Smell: a hint of brown sugar and herbs, very vague/light smell.

Taste: taste is faint, but there is some malt flavor. It tastes a lot like light beer that is really watered down.

Mouthfeel: simply water with heavy carbonation

Overall: Maybe the worst light beer I have tried. It barely had any taste.

2.49/5  rDev +35.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A - I'd like to say "average American pilsner," but it really isn't. A little paler, very clear. An almost unhealthy-looking color.

S - Rather poor. A hint of alcohol, some skunkiness. Nothing else notable.

T - Very little flavor at all. Doesn't possess the skunky bitterness that Budweiser has so strongly. A hint of wheat. Surprisingly drinkable. No malts, bare hints of hops.

M - Very light and watery. Makes it easy to drink, though, if your goal is quantity over quality.

O - I'd say Mich Ultra is actually a better beer than the typical BMC fare, if only because it is so devoid of flavor that it avoids all the bad flavors. Definitely more drinkable on tap than Bud (for my tastes).

Figured I'd chip my two cents in on this too. Served in a pint.

A: very clear, pee pee yellow, bubbly and no head or lace.

S: Weird, grass, grains, have to take a huge sniff to smell anything.

T: Just to be flat out honest, this is god awful, its a struggle to drink, there's hints of wheat and grains, corn, but it's own unique nastiness to it. Never have finished one of these.

M: Overly super carbonated, very bloating, almost no flavor profile and no body at all

O: Yeah overall, this is disgusting. Someone brought a case over to a barberque at my place and I've been struggling on how to deal with them besides pouring them down the toilet. Been using them as a base to cook chili, pretty much the only thing they're good for. Not recommended and should be discontinued.

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch