Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
Reviews: 567 | Hads: 2,044
3.03/5  rDev +62.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is what it is. Its an extremely light light beer. Drink enough of them, you'll get drunk. Eventually. I first started drinking it because my friend was a fitness guru and was strict about his calorie intake. And yet to this day, it is my go-to light beer. When I want to get drunk, I'm going for this. If I'm going to just enjoy a beer with a full meal, I'm going with a quality non-light beer. To me, Ultra is in a class above Miller Lite, Coors Light, and Bud Light. Honestly, this beer is best enjoyed on a hot day or golfing or if you are trying to lose weight but don't want to throw your entire day's worth of calories out with a couple beers. I do think this beer gets a bit of a bad reputation by people that just discard it as a "chick beer" or "beer-flavored water". If you're drinking it, you have to realize that it is what it is. If you want mountains of flavor, this isn't the beer for you. However for a light beer I do think this one has a great taste. If you are debating whether to try it or not because you're afraid your manhood will be questioned, just try it for yourself and form your own opinion. (1,130 characters)

2.3/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

A vigorous pour of Michelob Ultra yields the palest of pale straw-yellow bodies and a head that disappears in the blink of an eye and leaves no evidence it ever existed. Carbonation is vigorous at first. Then the large, soda-pop bubbles disappear and things calm down. A few vigorous swirls around the glass fail to produce any foam to speak of.

The nose is more appealing than expected. Watered-down cider and champagne come to mind.

The taste follows the nose, but adds flavors of seltzer water and alcohol. Bittering hops add crispness to the beer's cider-champagne flavors. I like this much more than I thought I would. Skunky "macro-brew" flavors are kept to a minimum thanks to the beer's extremely thin malt profile.

The beer is entirely too watery. Its carbonation is harsh at first, then disappears. Flat beer? No thanks.

I can think of a few reasons why beer drinkers might reach for a Michelob Ultra. It's a fine choice for beer drinkers who are counting calories and carbohydrates. Its crispness and wateriness are welcome characteristics on very hot afternoons. The thinness of its malt profile minimizes the nasty "skunk" flavors of American macro-lagers, making Ultra comparatively enjoyable. Indeed, I'd reach for a Michelob Ultra before any of the "big three" (Coors, Miller, Budweiser) or their light counterparts. (1,336 characters)

1.95/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Not to much attention was paid to this beer as not much was expected however upon my first taste I was surprised that it actually had a decent flavor for being a big name beer. its one of the better light beers in this category in my opinion that's really all I have to say about that (284 characters)

THIS IS MY 250th BEER ON BEER ADVOCATE

MORE OF A SODA

All right, the celebration's over; nothing to celebrate at all, really. So, this beer is almost completely clear, I would say the color is a milky whiter yellow. The head is probably milky white or off-white

The carbonation is fierce, too much carbonation to be objective.

Smells of metal, corn, and rice

Taste: I don't really taste anything except rice and corn. Slight bite at the finish that reminds me of drinking Pepsi too fast out of a straw as a child.

Mouthfeel: watery

Overall, I don't regret having this beer. But, if this is all you've got just drink water instead. Or just have a soda. (658 characters)

1.11/5  rDev -40.3%

Now that's an awful beer! Cracked open a slim can as it was the last beer in the beer fridge, leftover from a cookout a few weekends ago. Drank about half of it while watching the sox game and the rest went warm. Eventually dumped it out and got a glass of water, which was much more satisfying and had just about as much flavor. Hitting the craft beer store tomorrow! (368 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a bottle; into a pilsner glass.
Appearance - looks about like what I'll be pissing out in about an hour.
Smell - I don't know...nail polish, I suppose.
Taste - better than sucking on a penny...tastes more like a nickel.
Feel - I need some wings or pizza to get this taste out of my mouth. I'd even take a rotten pistachio.
Overall - you get what you pay for. Thankfully it was free! (394 characters)

2.9/5  rDev +55.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Crystal clear pale straw color. Some little carbonation visible. White head was about a finger thick, then falls to a thin layer on top. One of the lightest light beers I've ever had. Oddly enough, I've got some Brussels lace towards the bottom of the pint.

Aroma when poured into a glass is not the most appealing. Smells metallic at first. Under that is a grainy, huskiness that doesn't promise much in the way of flavor.

The taste is not as bad as the aroma (thank god) and in fact has a pleasant taste overall, even if that taste is extremely light. Very crisp, light body. Smooth finish with only a little bite of carbonation. Light on flavor, fairly dry, but subtle suggestions of sweet malt. I believe this has rice instead of corn as an adjunct, which minimizes the overly sweet corn flavor in many light beers. This has just enough taste to pull through the light category and I'm not picking up much metallic flavor as is pretty common in light beers. Not much of an aftertaste to speak of, and leaves the palette almost as soon as it gets there.

This is nowhere near the worst beer out there, even in the light beer category. I found it pleasant enough to consume, and pretty terrible to smell. Most people who drink this probably don't pour it into a glass, so smell isn't something they are thinking about. I would not be buying this again, however, if I was in the situation of drinking light beer I know I'd be safe with this one. (1,451 characters)

1.95/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Clear nearly transparent yellow colored brew. White fizzy short lived head. Aroma of dry cereal grains, namely corn and rice with some malt. There is a small note of grass. In the flavor, grain driven sweetness with a flash of mildly bitter hop that was a surprise. The flavor is quite light and goes away quickly. Watery, over carbonated body. Not the greatest beer here. My friend saw me drinking a bottle of this and grabbed it out of my hand and threw it into the back yard. I'd consider him a good friend and an even better person. (536 characters)

2.21/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Picked up a 12 oz single. I'm working my way down a big rack of singles and this came up. I was afraid.

App- Pale, pale yellow. Almost looked like a Belgian white but filtered. Crystal clear. Head fizzes quickly and is pure (maybe off-) white.

Sm- Clean water and adjuncts. I tried with all my might to smell the real beer ingredients but to no avail.

Ta- Clean water, corn/rice up front and in the middle. Back end finally revealed the malt. Still no hop character at all.

Mf- Water, water, water.

*Sigh* Am I one of "those" guys? Who hates every light beer? I hope not. I hope there's one thing out there that tickles my fancy enough that I don't cringe when hearing its name. This is now one of the former. Here is what this beer gives you: 90-something calories. The refreshing taste of ice cold water beer. Is that what they are going for? Probably. And that sucks. As a beverage, I guess it isn't half bad. It's meant, I suppose, to be drunk out of the bottle but I refuse. As a beer, it's bad. It's almost a non-beer. Don't recommend it. Get drunk on low-calorie liquor if that's what you want. (1,107 characters)

2.6/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Pours a very clear golden yellow color with very small carbonated head. Head retention and lacing are non-existent. Somewhat of a fruity aroma. Grains, cereal. Very grainy, straw-like taste. Maybe some hints of stale fruit, but not much. Light bodied. High carbonation. Only drank the beer to complete the review. Not again. (333 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +58.6%

From the 12 fl. oz. thin can marked 22APR13-OH88. Sampled on May 27, 2013.

So mine is the 11-hundredth review of this beer. I am honored to be a milestone reviewer.

This review is based solely on the style of a Light Lager. This looks a little thinner in the pale yellow color than a typical adjunct and it comes with a fizzy white head that dissolves in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

The aroma is grainy with corn, bread, and a clean, fresh but subtle hop bite. Pretty average for the style.

The body is little more watery than others in the style. So below average.

The taste is also a little bready with light pale malts, some sweetness, and a cool, clean hop finish to balance it out. So average.

Going entirely on style this is a refreshing and easy to quaff light lager but don't expect anything out of the ordinary. Just expect to be refreshed after a busy day mowing the lawn. (889 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +75.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I had earlier written I would never, ever, drink another light beer again...well, I lied, and for the most part I didn't regret it.

In my younger days, when I didn't know better, I thought Michelob was the best beer could get - ah, the foolishness of youth...anyway, Michelob will always have a special place in my heart, so I when I learned the restaurant had Mich Ultra, and I knew I never tried it, I thought, "What the heck." It pours an average yellow color, and it's head is short and short-lived. It does however have a good bit of lacing, which is surprising. The brew had a distant smell and taste of honey (of all things) mixed with the normal hoppy and malty flavors of a big-brewery beer. Mouthfeel was more than I expected - it was very bold for a light beer - also surprising. Overall, I gave it a slightly above average rating - most likely out of dumb, youthful loyalty seeping into my old age...

If you drink, please don't drive, and if you have to drive, then do us all a favor and don't drink... (1,016 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Literally, it is the color of urine, pale yellow.

Smell: a hint of brown sugar and herbs, very vague/light smell.

Taste: taste is faint, but there is some malt flavor. It tastes a lot like light beer that is really watered down.

Mouthfeel: simply water with heavy carbonation

Overall: Maybe the worst light beer I have tried. It barely had any taste. (366 characters)

2.49/5  rDev +33.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A - I'd like to say "average American pilsner," but it really isn't. A little paler, very clear. An almost unhealthy-looking color.

S - Rather poor. A hint of alcohol, some skunkiness. Nothing else notable.

T - Very little flavor at all. Doesn't possess the skunky bitterness that Budweiser has so strongly. A hint of wheat. Surprisingly drinkable. No malts, bare hints of hops.

M - Very light and watery. Makes it easy to drink, though, if your goal is quantity over quality.

O - I'd say Mich Ultra is actually a better beer than the typical BMC fare, if only because it is so devoid of flavor that it avoids all the bad flavors. Definitely more drinkable on tap than Bud (for my tastes). (693 characters)

Figured I'd chip my two cents in on this too. Served in a pint.

A: very clear, pee pee yellow, bubbly and no head or lace.

S: Weird, grass, grains, have to take a huge sniff to smell anything.

T: Just to be flat out honest, this is god awful, its a struggle to drink, there's hints of wheat and grains, corn, but it's own unique nastiness to it. Never have finished one of these.

M: Overly super carbonated, very bloating, almost no flavor profile and no body at all

O: Yeah overall, this is disgusting. Someone brought a case over to a barberque at my place and I've been struggling on how to deal with them besides pouring them down the toilet. Been using them as a base to cook chili, pretty much the only thing they're good for. Not recommended and should be discontinued. (784 characters)

2.21/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Really not going to snob out on this beer. It really is designed for those who are watching their weight or have other health concerns. That said, is it a thin-tasting macro lager that doesn't leave the taste buds satisfied? Of course! But, is it undrinkable? Of course not. Less of a fullness that the ordinary American Adjunct Lager but decent for what it is. (361 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +112.9%

Had this one on a crazy night chillin with the homedogs. Arrrooo!

A: Can't see it in the bottle.

S: Like beer in a bottle with a bit of snot. Second opinion says sweet. Third smell indicates hops.

T: No Molson M. No gross, bitter aftertaste. Kind of like eating yoghurt to cleanse your palette. Leaves a clean taste in your mouth. Perfect for after eating Butterfinger bites.

M: Feels like slightly flattened fountain pop...perfection giggle giggle.

Nobody's gonna lay a finger on my Butterfinger. Or Michelob Ultra for that matter. (537 characters)

my dad bought this beer because "[i] need to watch my weight" and he bought a 6 pack and gave 5 to me.

i had it out of a bottle and didnt bother pouring it..i have no idea what it looks like but im guessing clear, because this abortion of a beer tastes like water, feels like water and smells like water. its a crap beer. i was at an airport bar and noticed the person next to me was drinking michelob ultra, which is fine, they like what they like and i cant do anything about it...but when they have sam adams and guinness on tap, why the hell would you drink michelob ultra? then i realized that this "beer", along with just about every other AB product is made for people who dont drink beer.

if youre at a party and they have michelob ultra, do yourself a favor and drink water.

this beer is the absolute worse beer i have ever had. stay the hell away from this atrocity. (881 characters)

2.04/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Michelob Ultra has a straw tone that, while suited to a white wine, looks exceptionally dull in a beer. This essentially colourless beer is as lifeless as it is transparent (which is to say entirely). Bubbles are released in seemingly precision timed intervals but don't amount to much head.

With Michelob Ultra the world’s largest brewery explores new standards of repulsiveness. It's an aromatic atrocity. This is one beer I'd actually recommend drinking from the can. No one needs to smell the foul corn syrup and chemical adjuncts. It's ultra bad.

The lack of beer-like flavour explains why most non-beer drinkers find this agreeable enough. (The unpleasant adjunct taste is why they prefer to drink it 'ice' cold.) It is soda-like both in its sweetness and carbonation and reminds me of ginger ale except for the off-putting aftertaste.

The 95 calories and 2.6 grams of carbohydrates per serving is a benefit where diet is concerned, but it doesn't make for much of a mouthfeel. The beer is so thin-bodied that it quickly turns syrupy. Asked to describe it, I'd say it most resembles soda water.

The only instances in which I've been able to tolerate - I didn't say condone! - Michelob Ultra have been at a ballpark where the beer selection is so poor as to make a bad 'light' beer preferable to bad standard-strength brands. It is after all, among its few positive qualities, one of the most bland things I've ever tried. Summed up in two words: adult pop. (1,471 characters)

2.05/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2

Poured from can into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a very clear and very light yellow color with a big fizzy white head and tons of tiny carbonation bubbles seen streaming up through the brew. The head fades almost instantly leaving almost no level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is very light consisting of a light corn and citrus hop smell. Mixed with these are some other lighter aromas of a paper and slight metallic smell.

Taste – The taste begins with a sweeter corn malt taste mixed with a little bit of a malty and papery taste. As the taste advances, the flavors all are dialed down even further as the taste gets more watery. At the end a faint citrus and metallic taste join the, now largely, corn malt and papery taste to leave a rather thin somewhat metallic overall flavor on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is very thin with a carbonation level that is quite high. Both are good for the style of the brew, with it being a very light and low calorie beer as well as the feel helping to hide the somewhat off metallic and paper tastes as well as for making for a more refreshing style brew.

Overall – It is very light and moderately refreshing and hence it fits many of the categories that a light beer should. It doesn’t have a great flavor profile however with some slightly off flavors (especially toward the end of the taste). Light- yes, but super tasty – no. (1,443 characters)

2.23/5  rDev +19.9%

A - Pours a very pale light yellow similar to the color of a vegetable oil. Had a decnt 1 finger white head that dissappeared quickly

S - Not very pleasing. Grainy smelling and alcohol smells. Maybe a little malt?

T - Definately winey tasting. Its not repulsive just doesnt have much flavor

M - Like drinking carbonated water with a dry finish

O - It'd be a refreshing beer on a hot day. Its not disgusting by anymeans and serves it purpose. But it doesnt have the big flavors I like in beers. Still, I wouldnt turn it down if offered to me and I'm sure I'll be drinking many more. (585 characters)

2.19/5  rDev +17.7%

Drank this from slim cans.
The look is usually really light yellow if you ever had it on draft, but slim cans are exceptionally poundable.
Smell is right upfront, you can tell it's super light and sorta tingly.
Taste is stronger than what is expected, very easy to pair foods with.
The mouthfeel is tingly if you don't let it sit around for longer than five minutes.
Overall I will drink this beer with ease when offered for free, probably on a golf trip. (455 characters)

2.27/5  rDev +22%

Served from a 355ml can

A: Piss. Very pale with a head that lasts a couple seconds and dissipates like a soda leaving no lacing.

S: Very grainy and grassy smelling.

T: Just like the smell. Tastes way to grainy and far to watery. Some beers are neutral and just watery others are watery and carry some nastiness with them. This one is the latter.

M: Water. Goes down like a soda with the carbonation hitting your mouth in an unpleasant way.

Overall: I've drank this a few times now. I'm Canadian and where I'm from this beer was unavailable till a couple months maybe a year ago. I'd had it in the states before this and found it appalling. Much to my dismay it reared it ugly head in our neck of the woods. I drink it when I'm offered it at parties and get togethers and could see it being sessionable but I don't really enjoy the experience. (847 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -4.3%

Served in a bottle at Earl of Sandwich in Newark International Airport (EWR) Terminal A

A: Pours a very pale yellow in color with very few golden yellow highlights and minimal amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a quarter finger tall thin soapy white head that quickly reduces to the faintest of rings at the edges of the glass. Minimal to light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Overall the aroma of this beer is almost non-existant, there is a faint aroma of corn adjunct malts.

T: Light to moderate flavors of adjunct malts, both corn and rice seem to stand out for me. Extremely light hints of grassy hops that give the beer a light amount of bitterness in the finish.

M: Light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: Easy to drink but definitely not a beer that I will be getting again - limited selection at the airport lead to trying this one... It is too thin and too watery to really be enjoyable. (951 characters)

1.9/5  rDev +2.2%

A: The beer is clear and very light yellow in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head white head that eventually completely faded away.
S: There are light aromas of adjunct malts in the nose-corn stands out in particular.
T: Like the smell, the taste has light flavors of rice adjunct malts. The slightest hints of bitterness are also detectable.
M: It feels rather light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: While this beer is very easy to drink, it tastes more like writer with notes of rice and hints of hops. (572 characters)

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch