Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
Reviews: 565 | Hads: 2,028
1.66/5  rDev -10.8%

Wow, I can't believe I drank this. At least I didn't pay for it. A guy I know brought it to our New Years Eve party. Yes I know that was days ago, I just couldn't bring myself to review this. Partly shame, partly that I want to forget the experience. Poured a very clear, very light yellowish color. Like someone put a drop or two of yellow food coloring in water. Those of you who couldn't smell this, be glad, the smell was horrid. Smelled like rotten egg. Very very gross. Made me want to put it back in search of something that I could stomach. Thankfully it didn't taste like it smelled. To be honest it tasted fairly close to Bud Light. Like a watered down rice beer. No hops to speak of. Light in the mouth. No bite. Just like drinking water as far as the mouthfeel went. Drinkability? They wish. I'll never drink this again. It took me a few hours to get over the smell of it. I suppose if you're on the Adkins diet and you are adamant that the beer is what caused the gut, then this could be the beer for you, however, as I observed, this is not the beer for me. I went right back to the Bully! Porter I brought and tried to drown my tastebuds in something they'd enjoy. I also appologized to them for hours. (1,217 characters)

Palest yellow I have ever seen, not appetizing in the least. The head has some retention, probably because it is so light, gravity has no effect on it. There is absolutely no aroma at all. I practically snorted some just to be able to say something about it, but to no avail. The taste just sucks. Subtle husky grain and C02 bitterness. I swear this is club soda or seltzer water. Goddamn, this is a miracle of science to be able to make something with 4%alcohol look and taste like carbonated water. (500 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

The most amazing thing about this beer is the color. Unlike other light beers that are at least some pale shade of gold or copper, this one looks clear, almost like sparkling water. Any tint in this liquid is silverish if anything. I thought it was Zima. Smell? What smell.

It's easy to bash this beer but it really does taste like water to me. Sparkling water with some beer essence in there somewhere. I have no other description to add to taste or mouthfeel but sparkling water. Very drinkable though. You could give this beer a 1 if it was the least bit offensive but it doesn't do much one way or the other. "Goes down easy!" But why would you want it to? (663 characters)

The great fat-burning beer is here and it is only $2 per pint on Wednesday nights. It most assuredly will cost me less than a pesky gym membership. Time for a review...

Appearance: Pretty much clear. A slight yellow tinge, but pretty much transparent. No head, no nothing.

Smell: Again, not much to tell here. Very thin on the smells. Perhaps a slight hint of corn?

Taste: "I CAN'T TASTE MY BEER!" I have had this numerous times and have yet to taste anything in it. It actually has less flavor than Corona Light.

Mouthfeel: Middle of the road. Some carbonation and a little bite to it, but overall not bad. Usually will be served very cold.

Drinkability: Pound 50 at a time. It is very drinkable because it is so light and flavorless. Not very enjoyable, but very able to be consumed.

I can feel the unsightly flab melting away as I type this. This is the beer for people who believe what they see on TV. It's a macro trend that is all in all...crap. Miller Lite at least has some flavor to it, and not much more on the carb scale. If you're watching the carbs, drink Captain and Diet Coke, but skip this one. (1,129 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -30.1%

Served on tap at a dive bar in the Pittsburgh area. Vessel used was a plastic cup. Seemed appropo.

Appearance: Very pale straw yellow. Clear with a short lived white head.

Smell: Not much going on here. I got some faint grassy aromas, occasionally some skunkiness, and some other off aromas that just may have been the background smells of the bar.

Taste: A "beery" taste that lasts a millisecond, giving way to seltzer water. Blech.

Mouthfeel: Perrier has more substance.

Drinkability: Ick. I can't believe I drank this, but my family had ordered it, and I thought I should see just how bad it was. (614 characters)

2.35/5  rDev +26.3%

Michelob Ultra is the recent "Miller Lite" bar alternative beer. This new beer brought to us by our friends at Michelob seems to be popping up everywhere. And it fits into the typical bar mode.
Ex; go to the bar/club, walk around looking at the girls, order a beer over the blasting music, Michelob Ultra is handed to you, repeat!

Michelob Ultra is a no-frills beer that someone buys if they can't decide between Bud, Miller, or Coors.

The Appearance is that of any other piss-beer- light yellow/ almost clear. A fluffy white head that bubbled away quickly.
The smell was bad. A weak, stale, bathroom floor stink.
The taste wasn't much better. Very weak, watery, and a skunked aftertaste.

Ultra is ultra bad! If you're watching your weight I suggest frinking slim-fast. Hell, mix slim-fast with gin for a Martini! It'll taste better!! (847 characters)

1.88/5  rDev +1.1%

This is the least flavor of a beer that I've ever had. It has a tiny bit of that nuttiness that regular Michelob has, but it's so faint that you really have to be looking for it to notice it. It does have a little bit of a citrusy character to it that almost gives it character, but really it tastes kind of like city water. (324 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -43%

Well, what can I say, over at a friends house fixing his computer(s), and he offered me a beer, well not to be rude I excepted knowing it would be something like this, goes to show you that “No Good Deed Goes Unpunished”.

On the pour a lucent pale gold color, the head modest in size and white in color, the texture frothy and the lace a very thin sheet. Nose is crisp and clean, the start slightly sweet, top cadaverous. Finish stinging in its acidity, hops scarce, dry and a totally forgettable beer. (507 characters)

This isn't beer as it pours the colour of carbonated seltzer water. The aroma is of water, and carbonation, as is the taste. NO hops, NO malts, NO "beer flavor". Mouthfeel is that of water, but the drinkability is non-existant! The fact that this stuff sells so well, just shows how many people are slaves to marketing. If you are on ATKINS just drink water, don't spend $17 a case for this junk...or hey, if you really like beer, go with Amstel light! That has only 95 calories and 5 carbs, and it actually has...get this...beer flavor to it! (543 characters)

2.4/5  rDev +29%

Do you like water? of course you do. If you are ooking for a buzz, but like the taste of water, then MU is what you like. My gf likes it for the atkins aspect- but I still don't. I mean tis is water w/ abv, basically. don't drink it if you hafta, but if you like water, by all measn go for it (292 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -16.7%

Ugh.... I don't know why I waste my time, but I have to be a completist! haha.... anyway, if you like this beer, do not read this review. In fact, you should leave the site. This is not beer in the true sense of the word. This is swill of the worst kind. Not only does it look bad, smell bad and taste bad, you have to PAY for this! What? Pay for water? What an outrage! Ah, well...I am glad it's over. No taste whatsoever to leave behind, so I guess that can be construed as a good thing.... otherwise, get thee behind me, any and all A-B products! (549 characters)

2.05/5  rDev +10.2%

My Wife bught me a 12 pack, with the idea this would be a good beer to drink while trying to cut carbs. You know, the Atkins thing. Anyway probably good while on that diet, but for a lover of full bodied, hopped, micros and home brews, this one tasted like carbonated water. I really had to try to get some flavor here. I could do the same thing by putting a tablespoon of homebrew in an empty bottle, and fill it up with water, carbonate it, and there you go. Lots cheaper too. (478 characters)

1.98/5  rDev +6.5%

hmmm, did i have a bottle of 'perri-air', as seen in spaceballs, or was that a beer? it's questionable. this brew is light as hell, probably the lightest beer i've ever had. there are quite simply no characteristics here. it looks somewhat like a beer, but if it weren't for that i might not have known what u was drinking, as i couldn't detect a dominant smell or taste. the drinkability goes up because it's really like having a glass of water, but overall this just isn't a good brew. blah. (493 characters)

2.72/5  rDev +46.2%

This was actually not as bad as I had expected. The appearance was that of a regular light beer with less of a head that dissapeared when you blinked. The smell was the same of any other light beer. The taste was much better than I expected from this. It tasted good to me today. However there was a bit of a watery taste to it. The mouth feel left a lot to be desired, very watery. I could drink a lot of these in one setting. I guess that is what it is made for. However, just because I could drink a lot of these in one setting doesn't mean I will. (551 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -32.8%

After watching this beer sell like crazy and seeing everyone at bars drinking it I finally had to break down and try this " beer"(I had sworn I wouldnt ).

Appearance-- the lightest pale yellow i have seen in a beer.. It looked like I had poured water in a dirty beer glass in order to clean it. Minimal head with no retention.

Smell-- not much to say.. Vaguely cereal with off putting chemical notes.. but not much smell to speak of.

Taste. If the colour was light the flavour was lighter. It tasted as if someone cut a Michelob light with tonic water. This is the white wine spritzer of beer. No real malt and the hops are there only if you really think about it.. Also seems overly carbonated. I guess you could say its got drinkability since its like drinking water. Actually I would prefer water to this stuff. Low Carbs be damned give me some flavour!!! (869 characters)

1.27/5  rDev -31.7%

This has to be one of the worst beers that I have ever tried. I kept asking myself "why, why, why." The color was extremely light and not enticing, much like the aroma. No hop aroma what so ever and a taste that is almost non-existant. A very watered down beer. I had to put some hops in the beer to give it at least a decent aroma to help me finish the beer. (359 characters)

2.94/5  rDev +58.1%

The beer pours a pale, almost clear, gold color; very light. The head laces nicely. The nose smells like regular Michelob, but noticably lighter. The taste is very watery, but still maintaining the lager flavor. It goes down very smooth and finishes crisp. It's a gusler, no doubt and a bonafied "chick" beer. I guess if you enjoy macro-brewed lagers like Michelob, this is a beer you would be excited about. It's the old philosophy of less calories, larger consumption. I don't worry myself with calorie counts. What's the point? If a beer tastes good drink it. Like anything else in life; Use in moderation. (609 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -19.4%

Local bar has 50 cent macro draft specials, and I decided to try this finally (before getting a bottle of Dead Guy Ale). Light lemony yellow color is almost clear. The smell is sort of a faintly skunked psuedo-beer aroma. The taste is slightly metallic, like bad well water. The mouthfeel is exceptionally harsh, and the drinkability is very poor. I actually returned about 2/3 of the glass and asked for my Dead Guy. The ownwer knows me, and said 'I told you, you wouldn't like that beer'. They didn't charge me for it. That just got the <beer girl> a bigger tip. Anybody that would warn me against macro crap, then not charge me for it when I started coughing like Bill the Cat is OK in my book. But this beer definitely is not. A disgrace to the Michelob label. (770 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -12.4%

Not too bad for a low carb (4g) beer. Taste was pretty good, didn't smell great though. The appearance was pretty decent, Michelob invested a lot in their new formula with the type of barley they use. Also like the cover, always liked Michelob's design for the bottles. (269 characters)

There has to be something wrong with this beer... it's skunked right? That is the major response that I hear working at an outdoor summer concert venue when poured, after trying this beer just now I can honestly say I understand what they mean. In all reality this beer is not beer it's a bastardized marketing concept by a conglomerate of a big business in the brewing industry of a USA mass produced, dumb down American light lagers. Marketed as the "low carbohydrate" light beer to pair with the ongoing trend of the Atkins diet, so if you ask me this beer is going to die just the same as all trends do and mark my words if this ever becomes a staple of the brewing industry of this country I may just find my way to another place. Smooth and refreshing lager beer this is false advertisement, but here goes my description pours quite a few shades short of golden with a highly carbonated artificial fizzy white head leaving no lace, sad looking. Aroma very mild hop aroma some sweetness and light cooked veggie tones with an nonexisting aroma might as well be carbonated water. Taste offensive in all regards tries to pass of shitty piss water as a "lager beer" with a harsh nonrefreshing cooked veggie psuedo hop profile that I could only pray would taste like water instead of it's current form. Mouthfeel is of over carbonated seltza water with the drinkability of urine. (1,379 characters)

This beer poured a large white frothy head with small bubbles that fully diminished. There was a lot of fizzy carbonation in this beer. The body was clear and the hue was pale yellow. The aroma was skunky and there was virtually no flavor to this beer. The mouthfeel was very watery and thin. (292 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -8.6%

I knew, sooner or later, one of these would roll by. It happened this weekend - on the golf course - parched - about to take a drink from the water hazard when someone offered me one of these. Michelob Ultra or pond water. From what I'd heard, a tough decision.

Low in carbs? Easy when you get 10 oz. in the serving. Not that it was any great loss. Overall, this was not a bad beer, at least not any worse than the run-of-the-mill macro lager - long on cooked cereal flavors. It really struck me as not being a beer at all. It is a mere echo of a beer, and could be called a "lightly beer-flavored malt beverage," in the class with Zima and hard lemonade. If the low-carb bandwagon runs out of steam, they could market it as "the beer for people who don't like the taste of beer." (783 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured a clear... ummm... Aroma was of umm.... taste was... ahh...

There's not much I can say about this "beer", as there was not much of anything present besides carbonation. Tasted like someone mixed 3 parts seltzer and 1 part Bud Light. Maybe they should have put it in a green bottle and called it Heineken Ultra. At least I could talk about the skunky flavor. For purposes of a review, I can't say the smell and taste were awful and give them 1's because they weren't awful, they were non-existent. (506 characters)

1.16/5  rDev -37.6%

This brew poured a large head of fine white bubbles and a weak watery urine yellow colored body. It has a very mild hop aroma, good lacing and a watery and thin rice beer flavor. No thanks, glad to get this one rated and off my list. This brew was a drain pour. Never again! (274 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -7%

ok, so i compete in muay thai which means i really have to watch my weight. so i cant always enjoy that high alcohol stout or porter. sometimes you have to take one for the team, so i figured id try this. low calories and really low carbs, whoopdie doo. i didnt pour it out, i figured it wouldnt be impressive and would just be a waste of a glass. basically this stuff taste like seltzer water. its fizzy and has really no flavor at all. i mean, it dosnt even taste like a light beer. i cant describe it, because there isnt anything there. maybe ill just stick to good beer and do more sit ups. blah. (600 characters)

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch