Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros

CuthbertAllg00d, Mar 14, 2012
1.53/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance: Literally, it is the color of urine, pale yellow.

Smell: a hint of brown sugar and herbs, very vague/light smell.

Taste: taste is faint, but there is some malt flavor. It tastes a lot like light beer that is really watered down.

Mouthfeel: simply water with heavy carbonation

Overall: Maybe the worst light beer I have tried. It barely had any taste.

Kelsiemoeller, Apr 29, 2013

josh692, Jul 19, 2013
2.6/5  rDev +42.1%

ChaseG12, Aug 28, 2014
1.45/5  rDev -20.8%

The problem with this "beer" is that, if you have it after you've had any other sort of beer, you can't taste it. After having Stoudt's American Pale Ale, I wanted to see exactly if Mich Ultra would be ok. I didn't expect seltzer water. In a pint glass, set next to my beer, it looked like someone put a drop of gold coloring in Sprite. The taste, nonexistent.

Scheity, Feb 07, 2005
2.03/5  rDev +10.9%

Ew. With all the IPA's and Stouts I have had over the years, this tastes so bland! I poured this into my trusty drinking mug, and it looks tepid and bland. Bland yellow color, no head at all, and has no character to it whatsover. This beer is made for the ones who have to drive the drunkards home, because with even 3 of these, they will not get a buzz. This stuff has no character to it whatsover! Would rather drink 211, at least I know I will have something going on after a couple. Yuk....

mrhiccups, Jun 09, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -31.7%

Obviously AB had created a watered down lo cal/carb beer for people who want to drink a beer but don't like beer (if you know what I mean...). Had this at a friend's wedding last week. :(

A = Light pale straw in color with a short-lived minor head and no lace.

S = Very minimal grain presence.

T = This reminds me of some stale "big city" tap water with a minimal level of beer flavor added as an after thought.

M = Thin and watery...

D = Couldn't get past the first couple of swallows.

No food pairing suggestions on this weak effort.

Beerking721, Jul 17, 2008
1.6/5  rDev -12.6%

Serving Type: Bottle left in my fridge by my roommate's girlfriend after a party.

Appearance: As light a yellow as I have ever seen.

Smell: This beer actually manages to taste like nothing but still smell bad.

Taste: Water. I have drank water that has more taste than this beer and that is not a good thing.

Mouthfeel: Very average for the style which is to say it feels like seltzer water.

Drinkability: I could drink a case of these but why bother?

SUMMARY: WHY BOTHER? Just drink water.

jcm8756, Feb 28, 2010

spencek91, May 14, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -4.4%

jesster64, Aug 06, 2013
1.95/5  rDev +6.6%

Got this one on tap during happy hour- it was 1/2 off, and I thought I'd give it a try. Without a doubt, one of the worst beers I've had.
Had a decent appearance- light golden yellow, semi-transparent. It had a short-lived small head and no lacing.
Smell- almost none. Very faint trace of grassy wheat.
Taste- very watery. Could hardly taste the beer, it was more like carbonated water than anything. Pretty disgusting. A faint bitterness, and somewhat grassy corn. Made me want to gag towards the end of the glass.
Mouthfeel- Thin, watery, overcarbonated. Not much there.
Overall- I tried it, now I know. Probably won't drink again unless I get it free somewhere.

boogieman, Jul 20, 2014

Gilbert93, Aug 04, 2014
2.52/5  rDev +37.7%

Wuggz, Sep 07, 2014
1.2/5  rDev -34.4%

Please remove this from Beeradvocate, as this is not a beer in the strictest sense of the term.

Since the foundation of beer is the makeup of the nonfermentable carbohydrates it contains, it makes sense that a beer void of significant carbohydrates would be light in color, low in taste, and lacking any mouthfeel whatsoever. If that is your gauge, this beer delivers. If I am watching carbs, I'd prefer to have less quantity of a good beer than any of this. I'll pass, thank you.

On the plus side, it is somewhat thirst-quenching. But then so is water.

Ueberales, Nov 06, 2004
3.25/5  rDev +77.6%

I can't really smell this. It is light and watery, but for its style, it isn't bad. For beer, it is terrible, but comparing it to other American Macro Lager offerings, not bad. I tried to keep that in mind when making my review. I was at a movie theater, so the cup was frost-colored plastic. Still, from what I could see, it was very light colored and pale. It retained a thin head for a long time. As it warmed, the malts became more defined. It tasted slightly fruity. There was no identifiable hops taste. Given the choice between this and city water, which tastes like a swimming pool, I'd drink this. (That was my choice.)

badturtle, Mar 04, 2006

Devbinks13, Mar 17, 2012
2.25/5  rDev +23%

iAcknowledge, Jul 09, 2012

nhjmoyer, Jul 14, 2014

stlouisram, Jan 06, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +137.7%

I like this beer. I can have it cold, I can have it warm (that's right!). And there's no "ick" taste to it. Maybe I got a good case? There's no "ick" factor when swallowing and I can drink it whether it's ice cold or it has been sitting out for an hour. This is a good beer with food or alone. The character is not there, the "colour" is not there, the "texture" is not there - but who cares? I don't! If it tastes good and I can have bottle after bottle without feeling gross or having a nasty aftertaste, it's a winner to me. Plus it's a light beer with low calories. I was appalled to see this had an F rating. Crap!

Michelob Ultra is one of my top beers officially. Thanks michelob!

LightEnthusiast, Feb 16, 2010
2.13/5  rDev +16.4%

The bottle is so decieving..

It's like "DRINK ME! I am a creation of the beer Gods."

But then you taste it and you are like "That jerk lied to me!"

I was encouraged by every frat-boy, tailgater and party boys to try this and that is was amazing. I refrained because I am more of a full-bodied beer guy, myself..
Alas, I was at a Liquor store and was feeling generous and I picked up a six-pack along with my regular 12 pack of Budweiser...

Boy, was that a waste of $8! I ended up giving it away to my cousin because I could barely stomach the bottle I had and moved on to bigger and better things. (Budweiser)

Diz0915, Sep 23, 2012
2.2/5  rDev +20.2%

Drank this from slim cans.
The look is usually really light yellow if you ever had it on draft, but slim cans are exceptionally poundable.
Smell is right upfront, you can tell it's super light and sorta tingly.
Taste is stronger than what is expected, very easy to pair foods with.
The mouthfeel is tingly if you don't let it sit around for longer than five minutes.
Overall I will drink this beer with ease when offered for free, probably on a golf trip.

Wildcatz69, Feb 01, 2013