Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
1.33/5  rDev -27.3%

Presentation: 12 oz brown twist off bottle with a “Born On Date” on the neck. States “Calories – 95, Carbohydrates- 2.6” and “Low Carbohydrate Light Beer” on the label.

Appearance: Very pale yellow, perhaps the lightest colour brew I have ever seen. Skimpy white lace does not amount to much, pours out spritzy and almost soda like.

Smell: Odd adjunct aroma, smells of faint cooked corn and mild husk. Other than that it is very clean.

Taste: Watery and thin, very little flavour at all. The crispness is on the right track though with the beer being so light is gives a seltzer like quality. Trace malt is hard to find but it is there, clean husk and cooked adjunct are extremely light also. Vague hop twang with a laughable bitterness, so minute that it brings nothing to the palate. Finishes clean and bone dry without a trace.

Notes: Can beer get any lighter than this? Is this the base product for the production of malternative. This is light beer, so light there is nothing there. People who seek this beer out are people with boring beer palates. There are better light beers out there, even then what is the point? I compare this beer with baked fat free light nacho chips … its like eating air, what’s the point? Don’t even bother with this one as it is the most lackluster, boring, gimmicky brew of its time.

Jason, Oct 03, 2002
2.03/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very pale yellow color with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is sweet and full of corn and grain with some light malts.

T: There’s not very much to the taste at all, some grain, corn and macro adjunct sweetness. The malt character is very thin and there’s almost no hops presence. The after-taste is bready and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and a little crisp, light body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, clean finish.

D: Not very tasty because there’s simply a lack of any flavor, goes down easy for the same reason, not filling at all, even among macros there isn’t much that would make me pick this beer. The fact that it’s so light seems to be the only thing that it has going for it.

TheManiacalOne, Oct 11, 2007

nickfl, Nov 15, 2011

There has to be something wrong with this beer... it's skunked right? That is the major response that I hear working at an outdoor summer concert venue when poured, after trying this beer just now I can honestly say I understand what they mean. In all reality this beer is not beer it's a bastardized marketing concept by a conglomerate of a big business in the brewing industry of a USA mass produced, dumb down American light lagers. Marketed as the "low carbohydrate" light beer to pair with the ongoing trend of the Atkins diet, so if you ask me this beer is going to die just the same as all trends do and mark my words if this ever becomes a staple of the brewing industry of this country I may just find my way to another place. Smooth and refreshing lager beer this is false advertisement, but here goes my description pours quite a few shades short of golden with a highly carbonated artificial fizzy white head leaving no lace, sad looking. Aroma very mild hop aroma some sweetness and light cooked veggie tones with an nonexisting aroma might as well be carbonated water. Taste offensive in all regards tries to pass of shitty piss water as a "lager beer" with a harsh nonrefreshing cooked veggie psuedo hop profile that I could only pray would taste like water instead of it's current form. Mouthfeel is of over carbonated seltza water with the drinkability of urine.

WVbeergeek, Jul 08, 2003
1.15/5  rDev -37.2%

I had this bottle at Smokey Bones, where there is not much of a beer selection. I have heard many comments about this so I thought I would give it a go. Served ice cold poured into a mug.

A - An extremely, I mean very pale gold like yellow water. The head appears and vanishes in seconds, there is no lace.

S - A mild hint of sweet odor, little else going on. Possibly an adjunct smell if anything.

M - Watery, fizzy and metallic -a mess.

T - Not a bit of flavor mustered by this ultra-light. More of a feel as in other lights than flavor. If I had to give this a taste description I would say alka-seltzer when pressed. Very gassy w/a slightly oily vegetal tinge.

D - This is a really sad attempt, just not even close to beer. I guess if you want to cut grease from ribs it works, but not for any real beer taste - Avoid this at all costs. I wish this could have proved me wrong but nothing ultra about this, just ultra lame.

Slatetank, May 02, 2008
1.53/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

there is worse tasting beers out there, but only because this can scarcely be considered beer. it doesnt taste much like anything. it pours lighter than piss, about as clear as my tap water, with soda carbonation yet zero head. the nose is offensive old apple juice and malt extract watered down way past a reasonable level. the taste is nonexistant, less taste than any other beer ive ever put in my mouth, its downright absent. no body at all, too many bubbles, what is the point of this? if you want to cut carbs, dont drink beer at all, or skip the cereal in the morning, but dont shave away the elements that makes a beer a beer, this is an assualt on brewing, and something i never want to see in my fridge again. damn my old man, who thinks he can get skinny on this shit!

StonedTrippin, Nov 28, 2012

First had: ?

If you're trying to cut your carbs, you might as well just buy a case of bottled water. Pours a very pale color between straw and clear, with some carbonation, and a thin layer of bubbles on top. Not much in the nose; some faint stale grain noticeable. Same on the tongue, with barely any noticeable taste, other than stale grain, skunk, and what could be conceived as a hop. Extremely light and watery, and goes down the same. To be avoided.

Rifugium, May 21, 2011
2.9/5  rDev +58.5%

The beer pours a pale, almost clear, gold color; very light. The head laces nicely. The nose smells like regular Michelob, but noticably lighter. The taste is very watery, but still maintaining the lager flavor. It goes down very smooth and finishes crisp. It's a gusler, no doubt and a bonafied "chick" beer. I guess if you enjoy macro-brewed lagers like Michelob, this is a beer you would be excited about. It's the old philosophy of less calories, larger consumption. I don't worry myself with calorie counts. What's the point? If a beer tastes good drink it. Like anything else in life; Use in moderation.

WesWes, Jul 23, 2003
2.25/5  rDev +23%

Pale straw color. Head is normal but looks fine. Pleasant carbonation. Club soda feel and taste, but of a better quality with the fine carbonation. Aroma is undetectable. Sharp mouthfeel, probably from the bubbles. Maybe with an absolutely clean palate you could taste something, but if you didn't know it was beer you might guess right from the sllight metallic bitterness.

Southwest Airlines was kind enough to treat us to this swill after waiting for two hours on the runway.

mactrail, Jan 13, 2012
1.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured clear - slight yellowish with a thin white head.
It lacked a real smell. Some preservative-something-or-other was in the background. So, it did have a slight odor - but nothing beer-like.
It tasted like water - bad water at that. Very weak.
The only good part is you can drink a good beer afterwards because it didn't leave an aftertaste that would interfere.
A neighbor offered to split one with me and against my better judgement I took her up on it.

Why bother with this one...

jwc215, May 31, 2006

Rochefort10nh, Dec 06, 2011
2.25/5  rDev +23%

DrunkinYogi, Jan 24, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -31.7%

This beer pours a straw yellow color and is clear enough to read through; decent white head with some lasting power; little lace. An attractive pour.

The smell is thin. It's obvious that this beer uses a lot of adjuncts. I cannot discern any hop and the "malt" aroma is not from barley.

The only flavor notes of any value is the spiciness that is created more from over-carbonation than from any taste source. There is NO aftertaste. This is the thinnest beer I've ever had.

I'm not sure what is ultra about this beer other than the lack of taste and body. I suggest you save yourself and have water instead; it's cheaper with less calories.

smcolw, Jan 20, 2008

MarkyMOD, Jul 13, 2013
1.63/5  rDev -10.9%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours the absolute palest of yellow, looks almost like a sickly light green, when held up to the light. No head past 2 seconds.

S: Basically nothing to speak of.

T: Carbonated water, basically, with the slightest hint of pale malt, not a hop to be found. Not a bad aftertaste or off-tastes to this though, the only good thing about it.

M: Basically becomes carbonation instantly when it enters your mouth, not beer quality.

D: Not a good beer, if you want a light beer, drink Guinness, it was not hard to drink this beer, but won't have again unless free.

Halcyondays, Aug 12, 2007
2.93/5  rDev +60.1%

330ml bottle found in a night shop in Hammersmith, London. Best before Jan 07, drank Dec 06.

Very pale golden liquid, with no head at all, not even a hint of one.

A sweet, almost toffee aroma seemed to hit my nose, which didn't transfer into the taste. Euro lager, a Dort or Pilsner style would have been my guess if this had been a blind tasting, no way would I have thought this had been brewed outside Europe. A bit watery, with a tinge of apple, but nothing offensive or great about this beer in my opinion.

I am not a lager drinker normally, but got this purely because of this site, so I could review it. I must be getting sad in my old age!

BlackHaddock, Dec 27, 2006

beernads, Jan 25, 2013
1.23/5  rDev -32.8%

Appearance: pours an extremely pale yellow color, virtually almost devoid of color. There was a 2" head that quickly evaporated.

Smell: vegetable and corn mostly with a hint of grass.

Taste: little to no malt profile. Corn, dried grass, and no bitterness rounds it out.

Mouthfeel: light in body. Crisp throughout with a dry finish that is actually unpleasant. Clean aftertaste.

Overall: I don't understand why light beers need to be so tasteless. This is one of the worst ones I have had to sample. If you want some flavor in a light beer, have a Sam Adama Light. Avoid this.

Gavage, Apr 01, 2012
2.73/5  rDev +49.2%

11/02/04- Purchased at the local grocery store..

Appearance- Poor head retention (next to none), same with the lacing. Very light yellow straw coloring,

Smell- Scent of corn, maybe a bit of malt. Not really much scent. Doesn't smell horrible.

Taste- Well, I was expecting the worst, but it wasn't half bad. I had these for the first time in Arizona early this year and this is about the only beer my girlfriends Grandfather had. So, we drank it and got kind of used to it. It definitely quenched my thirst. Don't get me wrong, it's not a superior beer or anywhere near that. But, it's not a bad stand by if it's all you've got. A bit of malt taste. Very light and very crisp.

Mouthfeel- Pretty heafty carbonation. Kinda like seltzer water. Crisp feeling.

Drinkability- See taste above. Better than I expected. Not much flavor though. Did the job at hand though. Quenching my thirst at 90 plus degree temperatures.

GClarkage, Nov 03, 2004
1.68/5  rDev -8.2%

Bought a 12 pack of this for $7.99

I'm not sure what the point of this product is. It really is a water with a slight bit of beer taste, and at 4% ABV, its almost pointless to drink. No smell, looks terrible in the glass and no taste. But, it is cheap and I must say it's super drinkable. Good for drinking large quantities of beer at one time I guess?

oriolesfan4, Sep 15, 2008

InspectorBob, Nov 29, 2011

I CAN't believe that there are no previous reviews to edit! I just reviewed this ULTRA-nothing beer the other day and now I have to subject myself to it again. Boo hoo.

As with many macros in a CAN, it pours with a decent finger-and-a-half of bone-white head with decent retention. The really striking aspect of this "beer" is its color - Holy Urine, Batman, my stream this morning was darker than this! It was an ULTRA-pale lemon-yellow with ULTRA NE-quality clarity. Hell, I could see through walls with this one! The nose had a slight cereal quality, but that was after repeated sniffs, trying to discern even something worth mentioning. ULTRA ho-hum! Mouthfeel was light, airy, ULTRA smooth, almost like I was not even drinking water, no, air, no, beer. Oh that's right, I was supposed to be drinking beer. Well, you could not prove it by this concoction. ULTRA boring. Finish was ULTRA non-existent. Wow. Give this a wide berth unless ULTRA boredom is your bag.

woodychandler, Oct 31, 2009

This beer is bland and just plain awful.

Pours a very light watery golden yellow with thin fizzy white head that quickly dissapears. Aroma consists mostly of corn and frat house hallways. Very watered down with extremely bland corn flavor. Very light and nasty the whole way through. Disgusting!

corby112, Nov 27, 2008
1.5/5  rDev -18%

orangesol, Nov 15, 2011
1.35/5  rDev -26.2%

If I really wanted bad beer, I'd go find some 3.2 Bud and call it a night. I, however, got a free sample after a triathlon. Talk about a disappointing way to end your race.

It poured a tall head, decent looking head but it was all downhill from there. It had a light adjunct odor that was none too inviting and as I put the beer to my lips it only got worse. It starts with little to no flavor and then there's a slight rush of below-average macro-lager flavor.

The first beer that comes to mind while drinking this is Colt 45 in that while it is somewhat smooth, the taste is rank.

If Mich wants to make a beer for active people they should try adding gatorade or at least something that would give a more pleasant flavor and aroma than the insoles of my running shoes.

tempest, Aug 16, 2005