Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob UltraMichelob Ultra

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
Reviews: 573 | Hads: 2,078
2.52/5  rDev +37%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a small head. Very mild aroma, some hints of corn. Really no taste to speak of. Beer flavored water. Feels light in the mouth. Drinkability is not bad. Overall I would say this is a sorry excuse for beer, but since I need to take of a few pounds, I guess there is a purpose for it.

1.75/5  rDev -4.9%

Crystal clear and very pale yellow. A fizzy white cap disappeared almost instantly. Very faint cereal grain aroma, slight fruit, minerals, otherwise the smell is nearly nonexistent. Not much in the way of bitterness, light apple and grain, metallic finish. Very light bodied, slipping into the watery category by the finish. Quite dry with coarse carbonation. Can't say that I enjoyed this at all.

2.02/5  rDev +9.8%

My mother is on the Atkin's diet, so she is trying this beer. I figured I'd have one just for the sake of reviewing.

Appearance- Extremely pale, looks like someone added water to a Coors Light

Smell- Typical macro lager smell, nothing special

Taste- Too light, not any flavor to speak of, not offensive though

Mouthfeel- Not bad, smooth

Drinkability- I wouldn't drink this again, but it wasn't so terrible as to make me loath Michelob Ultra. Its just too light to have any personality.

2.95/5  rDev +60.3%

From the 12 fl. oz. thin can marked 22APR13-OH88. Sampled on May 27, 2013.

So mine is the 11-hundredth review of this beer. I am honored to be a milestone reviewer.

This review is based solely on the style of a Light Lager. This looks a little thinner in the pale yellow color than a typical adjunct and it comes with a fizzy white head that dissolves in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

The aroma is grainy with corn, bread, and a clean, fresh but subtle hop bite. Pretty average for the style.

The body is little more watery than others in the style. So below average.

The taste is also a little bready with light pale malts, some sweetness, and a cool, clean hop finish to balance it out. So average.

Going entirely on style this is a refreshing and easy to quaff light lager but don't expect anything out of the ordinary. Just expect to be refreshed after a busy day mowing the lawn.

1.71/5  rDev -7.1%

341ml bottle poured into pint glass 11/5/12

A almost looks like water if you pour slow enough, nice big bone white head sustained by lots of big bubbles and even leaves a few patches of lace, very little color though pale light straw yellow would look dark beside this

S cardboard and corn syrup, not offensive but not much either

T A little sweet grains with what I smell but everything is faint, I'm more impressed by how little flavor there really is, it would be hard to brew a beer with so little flavor

M over carbonated and very thin, it would take skill brewing a beer thinner then water, clean aftertaste that's for sure

O yet another why bother beer, it did go down pretty fast but only because I was thirsty and mistook it for water

I can see this one doing really well at retail level, the masses like a flavorless beer and this one delivers

2.34/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Thanks to Tucker for buying a 12 pack of these and usually drinking half of these by the time he gets to wherever we are!

Looks like a very weak, but professional beer, tons of clarity, light watery yellow appearance, thin head. Pour a bunch of water into a normal AAL and this is what it prolly looks like. Aroma, almost nonexistant, but you can get a smidge of barley aroma in it. Its not bad, its just barely present.

Taste, barely anything to taste, but again, it isn't a bad taste, its just extremely watered down. Same with the mouthfeel. When you start to think you can pick up on a small hop zest, you realize its just the massive amount of carbonation they put in. Its like equal parts seltzer water and AAL.

I like this beer when its like 100 degrees out. Or when I need to cleanse my palate. Other than that, I don't understand this beer, but its not bad. Just watered down. Which is bad. Hmmm. Its somewhere between bad and watered down.

1.39/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours a pale gold color with a thin one-finger head and lots of carbonation.

Aroma is full of corn/rice, grain and not much else. Seems rather bland. A bit sweet as well.

Taste is watery, thin and full of corn/rice. Not much else there for flavor.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering corn/rice flavors. Tongue dries up afterwards and not much to actually savor.

Trash. Good if you want to count calories but why buy something as cheap as this when you can settle for a pint of Guinness every now and then? There are plenty of beers that are light in alcohol and full of flavor. Avoid this crap.

2.47/5  rDev +34.2%

12 ounce bottle, "born on date" of 1/3/08. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a very pale clear yellow color with a half inch white head. Head retention is low, lacing is OK. Aroma is corn, grain, and a little bit of sweet malt. It tastes the same as it smells, sweet and grainy. No offensive aromas or flavors. Mouthfeel/body is light, it has a lot of carbonation and it's watery. Drinkability is average, it isn't hard to drink and it goes down almost as easy as water does. I could down a few of these on a hot day. It's not what I'd call a good beer, but it's not horrible either. For the style it's not bad.

1.59/5  rDev -13.6%

341ml Bottle from the Ottawa LCBO for 2$

Appearance - Clear very light yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an above average amount of carbonation showing and there is no lacing. The head lasted for 2-3 minutes.

Smell - Breads/grains, metallic, corn

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation.. almost like a seltzer.. and I can taste corn mixed with some light fruity notes. There is also a graininess and it ends with a slightly sweet aftertaste.

Overall - This really isn't a beer.. I've never seen a beer that was such a light shade of yellow. The taste is extremely light and the mouthfeel is like a seltzer/soda. Not sure why I picked this one up.. curiosity got the better of me.

2.34/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank this from bottle at many bars, restuarants and college parties. no sustainable head, pale gold color with a terrible white head.. The aroma is light, not super skunky as this is mostly water. The taste is all water. Nothing worth ever drinking.

1.06/5  rDev -42.4%

Well, what can I say, over at a friends house fixing his computer(s), and he offered me a beer, well not to be rude I excepted knowing it would be something like this, goes to show you that “No Good Deed Goes Unpunished”.

On the pour a lucent pale gold color, the head modest in size and white in color, the texture frothy and the lace a very thin sheet. Nose is crisp and clean, the start slightly sweet, top cadaverous. Finish stinging in its acidity, hops scarce, dry and a totally forgettable beer.

2.48/5  rDev +34.8%

A lot of people are going to think I am crazy, but I like this beer. A part of the reason is that I am straddling the line between beer geek (in training) and weight lifter (not huge yet). So having this at social gatherings at bars is almost necessary for me. If I wanted just to lose weight, I probably wouldn't drink this as there are much better light beers. Now, it is a very light, watery gold draft w/ a quickly dieing head that greets me (the barwecnch didn't even bother tilting the glass, but why bother with this beer). But I find that it has a nice, smooth but crisp body w/ the adjuncts making a nice taste (smell this and you are going to pick up water and corn). Since it is very low in calories and carbs and alcohol, this is redrinkable. In fact, you might have to drink many of them to catch a buzz.

2.4/5  rDev +30.4%

Reviewed from notes

Appearance: very pale yellow, minimal head, no lacing

Smell: not much at all, faint corn if anything

Taste: very much akin to the smell, not much going on, watered down

Mouthfeel: light, crisp on the tongue

Drinkability: the beer that got the wife to drink beer, hey, we all gotta start somewhere, thankfully, she has moved on.

1.5/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle poured into pint glass

Pours completely clear, almost colorless minus a slight urine yellow shade. White head fizzles out into a splotch of film without any lacing. It almost looks like water...

Practically no scent whatsoever. Slight hint of grain and unflavored cereal.

Wow, this is practically laughable. This is possibly the most flavorless beer I've ever had, as an extremely thin corn and grain base barely pokes through. Some bitterness and dryness in the finish, if you can call it that.

Basically seltzer water, thin and watery with a prickly, rough carbonation. This is one of the sorriest excuses for beer I've ever tasted, and the complete lack of flavor is enough to make Bud Light seem like Dark Lord. If you're on a diet, drink water, not this.

1.58/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into an American Tumbler. Born on 07April09

A - Possibly the lightest beer I've ever seen. Off-white yellow/light beige color that's extremely effervescent. The head is gone within seconds and doesn't even leave any sort of trail.

S - Nothing but disgusting adjunct aromas to this beer. Ugh.

T - Am I drinking carbonated beer-water? That's pretty bad but not so awful it deserves a full one. In the light beer category, in my opinion, it's not terribly offensive, just bad.

M - Probably the harshest carbonation bite of any beer I've ever had. Super light and slick.

D - The dump I took while writing this sentence [from notes] had 10x more character than this crappy beer. For the masses that want to "work out while drinking a beer" as their ads imply, its drinkable. For any self-respecting, beer-loving person, it's unacceptable. Poured out the rest after the review was done.

1.7/5  rDev -7.6%

This barely tastes like beer. I drank it only because there was nothing else available. OK, so I've been spoiled by imports and craft brews, but I am glad to be that way! At least I can appreciate the taste of genuine beer, as opposed to American macro-brew pseudo-beer. I hardly tasted it and hardly felt it going down; it might as well have been flat ginger ale.

As the joke goes, light beers are like doing gymnastics on the beach - flippin' close to water.

1.78/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a clean, pale straw color with minimal plume of white head despite many bubbles. Smell is almost non-existant, faint dried hay and slight corn. Taste is rather non existant too except for the light touch of boiled corn on the finnish. Extremely light, very watery and highly carbonated. The only positive i can say is that the off flavors were kept to a minimum, but so were all of the flavors.

1.32/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Pours a fizzy pissy yellow, with a one inch head, and no lacing.

Smells like nothing. Very watery.

It tastes quite watery. There's only 90 calories here, and it shows. Some skunky tastes, with more vegetal hop tastes. Just. not. good.

Watery mouthfeel, slightly crisp near the end. High carbonation. Kinda makes me want to vomit.

1.08/5  rDev -41.3%

A: Pours a transparent yellowish color. A ring of white foam forms as a pour excuse for a head. No lace.
S: Cooked veggies, skunk, sulfur, and copper.
T: Nothing, no sweetness, grain, no flavor at all. Just metallic carbonation.
M/D: Light as can be. Carbonated, but not overly so. I can't even finish a bottle.

What the hell am I drinking? My boss left this in my hotel fridge so I thought I would give it a spin. Note to self, don't drink left over beer from my boss ever again.

1.78/5  rDev -3.3%

Drank this at the golf course. Has a non existent smell and has very little taste. Frankly I have had non Alcoholic beers that were better than this. I should have gone for the Gatorade. Easily the worst beer I have had. I am probably being kind with my rating.

1.96/5  rDev +6.5%

Extremely clear straw color...no head....nose has some sweet maltiness...more so than I expected....taste (if you want to call it that) has some malt notes...actually a bit more flavor to this than I expected..mouthfeel is horrible...watery, thin...not nice..

Slightly better than what I expected but my expectations were basically a beer with 1/8 Michelob Light and 7/8 water...faint maltiness on the nose and buds...way too thin in the mouth to be called a beer really...I guess I could drink it after a workout if there was a hot babe waiting for me at the end of the pool, but even then I might pass and concentrate on the task at hand and bypass this beer..

Not recommended unless you do not like the flavor of beer..

1.8/5  rDev -2.2%

Served from tap into a Magic Hat shaker. Pours golden yellow with a minimal amount of white head. There was no lacing evident at all on this one. The aroma was comprised of malt and a nutty note. The flavor was of malt, wheat, nutty, and water. It was light on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this brew was just blah... Short reply would be to say that this one sucks, unless of course you are trying to sober up (which I was).

2.05/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2

Poured from can into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a very clear and very light yellow color with a big fizzy white head and tons of tiny carbonation bubbles seen streaming up through the brew. The head fades almost instantly leaving almost no level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is very light consisting of a light corn and citrus hop smell. Mixed with these are some other lighter aromas of a paper and slight metallic smell.

Taste – The taste begins with a sweeter corn malt taste mixed with a little bit of a malty and papery taste. As the taste advances, the flavors all are dialed down even further as the taste gets more watery. At the end a faint citrus and metallic taste join the, now largely, corn malt and papery taste to leave a rather thin somewhat metallic overall flavor on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is very thin with a carbonation level that is quite high. Both are good for the style of the brew, with it being a very light and low calorie beer as well as the feel helping to hide the somewhat off metallic and paper tastes as well as for making for a more refreshing style brew.

Overall – It is very light and moderately refreshing and hence it fits many of the categories that a light beer should. It doesn’t have a great flavor profile however with some slightly off flavors (especially toward the end of the taste). Light- yes, but super tasty – no.

This is either one of the worst beers I have ever tasted, or one of the best seltzer waters. Maybe I would try it again if I had a stubborn stain on my clothes. Keep drinking it to lose weight people!

1.08/5  rDev -41.3%

Pours a clean pale yellow with a small white head. It actually looks watery. In the aroma, sweet corn and faint ints of a standard macro lager. In the taste, sweet pear like and a watered down version of a mass produced lager. A smooth and light bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry hint of fruit. Sweet and watery. If you are worried about calories, don't drink.

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch