Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)
Reviews by Amaroq:
Amaroq

4.35/5  rDev +118.6%

Drank it out of the can.

I've never been a beer guy. There's a lot of beers that I think are nasty. There's some beers that have grown on me. And then there's Budweiser Chelada. The king of tomatoey beers.

Appearance: The can is pretty well designed. It advertises pretty much what the beer is. A mixture of Budweiser and Clamato. It also is either blue or red depending on whether you're getting full flavor or light Chelada, making it easy to identify which can to grab off the shelf. The beer inside is obviously red-ish.

I don't understand all the hubbub about foam. I just want to drink it, not get foam all over my face. If you want foam, just mix your own "Red Beer" using budweiser and Clamato, about a third to a half full. Pour the Clamato in first, getting your glass halfway full. And then just, pour in the Budweiser from the can. You'll get your purty foam then.

Smell: I'm a big fan of tomatoey, salty drinks. The smell of the Chelada when I open the can definitely gets me tempted and wanting to drink it. You can definitely smell the fact that it's got the beer and Clamato mixed together. And some of that other stuff too, like the lime.

Taste: Like I mentioned, I'm a huge fan of tomatoey, salty drinks. I have tried red beer, which is traditionally just beer mixed with tomato juice, but it was disgusting. Using Clamato instead of tomato juice gives it something unique that makes all the difference between something drinkable, and something nasty. The spicyness mixed with that lime twist is also really great.

I have actually made my own "Red Beers" using Budweiser and a bottle of Clamato. The Budweiser is a little gross and makes me shudder when I drink it. And the Clamato is delicious, but it's too strong in its delicious tomato-clamjuice flavor. Mixing the two seems to counterbalance each other and make a perfect drink, with the nasty of the Budweiser taking the delicious of the Clamato down a notch, in addition to making it fizzy and giving it the bite of a beer. Mixing my own "Red Beer" is better than Chelada, because the Clamato flavor in the off-the-shelf drink is a bit too light for my tastes, though the salt and lime are good additions to the Chelada drink. I can increase the Clamato to beer ratio to get a stronger Clamato taste, though keeping that balance between the Clamato and the Budweiser. Since I generally don't keep lime juice and spices, the Chelada does have that something that home-mixed "Red Beer" using Clamato generally lacks.

In my opinion, this could be really amazing if they used green olive brine instead of lime.

If you mix your own "Red Beer", it's important that you pour the Clamato first. If you pour the Clamato first, the foam includes the "Red Beer" taste. If you pour the Budweiser first, any foam you get will just have the nasty Budweiser taste. Do about a third to a half Clamato, and the rest of the glass Budweiser. Or whatever ratio you prefer.

Mouthfeel: The feel can also be a bit light. If you mix your own "Red Beer" using Budweiser and Clamato, you can get something heavier by having a higher ratio of Clamato to beer.

Overall: This is an amazing beer in my opinion. It could use a higher ratio of Clamato to beer though. It could also use a sharper salty flavor, perhaps using green olive brine instead of lime juice.

Also, it's an inconvenience that I don't find the full version in grocery stores anymore. Only the light version seems to be available nowadays. I have to go to a liquor store or, if I'm lucky, a gas station, to get the full enChelada.

05-22-2013 11:08:47 | More by Amaroq
John_M

Oregon

3.11/5  rDev +56.3%

Graciously donated at a recent bottle share in Portland. Was told by the lucky owner that he'd had this particular can for a couple of years.

What struck me the most about the serving format for this beer, is that it came in a 25 ounce can. I didn't find this beer to be nearly as horrendous as I was expecting, but even so, I can't imagine any circumstance where I'd want to drink 25 ounces of this stuff.

The beer pours a pinkish red color with no head and no lacing. Frankly, it looks (and for that matters tastes) like a somewhat watered down glass of V8 juice. So yeah, the beer looks pretty bizarre, but I guess that's no surprise.

On the nose, this wasn't really all that bad. Once again, the beer smells like tomatoe/V8 juice, with some noticable light clam juice, celery salt and maybe some lime. Again, obviously these aren't aromas I normally associate with beer, but it wasn't awful.

The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, and one thing I really liked about this beer, is that there was absolutely no sign of the base beer (not that I drink bud all that often, but there really wasn't much of an underlying beer flavor to this stuff). Otherwise, I got some V8, claim juice, more celery salt and even some light heat from what tasted like either chili peppers or horseradish. It really wasn't too bad. You can barely tell there's some alcohol in this beer, but it's pretty well disguised actually, and blends in quite well with the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, and the beer didn't seem to have much carbonation (not sure if that's on purpose, or if the two years in can had something to do with that). However, the finish is fairly smooth, and it wasn't too difficult to drink (though again, it's pretty hard to imagine drinking a whole lot of this).

The biggest criticism I would make of this stuff, is that it really doesn't taste like it has anything in common with beer. I'll take the manufacturers word for it that there is some bud in this stuff, but I sure didn't pick it up on nose or palate. Also, while I might not want to drink this stuff, I can think of a number of uses I could make of this stuff for cooking (would go great in chili or in a red pasta sauce I think).

Another example of why it's always good to keep an open mind when sampling something new or outside one's experience. I thought this would be flat out awful, but it really wasn't. Really enjoyed the opportunity to try this at long last.

06-02-2014 16:36:08 | More by John_M
tectactoe

05-06-2014 11:57:35 | More by tectactoe
IDYVM

1.5/5  rDev -24.6%

12-24-2013 05:42:32 | More by IDYVM
mattster

2.7/5  rDev +35.7%

I was in the grocery buying some better beer, saw this and thought I would try it as to see how it was.

The color was a muddy red, like Clamato. The smell was overly Clamato as well.

Quite a heavy mouth feel due to the higher density of the beer.

Poured it into a standard pint glass. The taste was more Clamato than beer. This was the first time that I've had BUD that I didn't get sick about an hour after drinking it, but it still has that Bud lack of flavor that keeps me from buying the brand.

09-09-2007 12:02:32 | More by mattster
tyleeis

Wisconsin

04-28-2013 22:25:22 | More by tyleeis
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

Pours a kind of vomit color you see when people throw up from drinking too much, but not on an empty stomach, you know, with bits of food coloring mixed with fizzy yellow beer hodgepodge of stuff. Totally offputting. Head instantly disappeared within 3 seconds of the pour. Aroma, even worse than the appearance, smelled worse than budweiser, and somehow worse than tomato juice. I hate tomato juice. Somehow they made it even worse here.

Jeez, the taste is even worse than the smell. Has all the pepper of a super hot bloody mary, a bunch of bitter lemon, and the usual beechwood aged stuff, while palatable, is far from it here. Just a mouthful of salt, lemon, tomato juice and budweiser. I think the only way you could make this any worse would be to add body parts or pickles to it. This beer is 100 times worse than budweiser, if you can even call it a beer. Take a blender, put some oysters, tomatoes, shitty beer and tap water from a sucky area with tons of chlorine, and I think you can make this concoction.

This beer is a hate crime. Its the worst beer I've ever had. I always see empties next to or around dirty diapers in public parks for whatever reason.

08-16-2012 03:15:25 | More by Beerandraiderfan
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

I guess in every beer drinkers path comes a time to thank Anheuser Busch for leading them away from mainstream beer and into fine craft ales and lagers versus the industrial brethren. Anyway thanks AB and how more appropriate could I do that than by dedicating my 1500th hundred beer review to you. I guess this beer is a portrayal of how mass marketers think, Mexican immigrants they drink shitty beer that they have to cover up with tomato juice and citrus and salt. Let's make it easy for one of our largest growing markets, plus we have to compete with Miller they are the biggest thing out right now with their Chill, I got it let's make a chelada style and go all out we're adding clamato juice plus those old timers who mix Bud with their tomato juice will go for it too. Let's charge 2.50 a can this is specialty beer for immigrant workers. Anyway that spiel is over appears a pink ruby red grapefruit like appearance with absolutely no head forming, wow. Aroma tomatoes and salt with seafood somewhere in the distance, incredible that this is really out there in stores it seems like somebody gave me a gag gift. This beer is like going golfing and somebody giving you an exploding golf ball, I'm that fuckin' shocked. Flavor is salty with minimal citrus and beer, finishes heavy with mild seafood shells or oyster & tomato juice. It crushes my palate burns my throat and really makes me thirsty for a water, hey let's drink more bud light. This beer tastes like acid reflux it's fuckin' horrible and not in a funny way. Mouthfeel is fizzy and viscous with Clamato juice. This does no justice for either two products Budweiser and Clamato have been shame poor Mott's Apple sauce they're the parent company of Clamato their stock is crashing as we speak. By the way if you have chapped lips or cold sores (herpes type I) stay the hell away from this beer, like putting salt in the wounds. Tonight I'm pairing Chelada with Wendy's Chili another brand to add to the corporate clash. Drinkability is shit across the board...by the way Wendy's chili doesn't make this beer any better or worse. The worst beer that's ever crossed the palate, thank you AB, Miller, and Coors for mindlessly competing with each other. Without big companies like you interested in teh bottom line and not taste, these small specialty breweries wouldn't be flourishing the way they are now. Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer kicks the shit out of this Chelada style beer. Tomme Arthur says Fuck Ebay and Big Tony says FUCK A-B!

Salute

2.5/5  rDev +25.6%

09-22-2013 20:53:32 | More by IchLiebeBierZu
rhoadsrage

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer has a hazy ruby red grapefruit color with a strong carbonation of large bubbles. The big fizzy head fades before I set the beer on the bar.

S- The bright smell of tomato juice has a hint of salsa spice to it. No smell of any grain or malt.

T- This beer has a big bland tomato juice flavor with some salsa notes and a burn of spicy salsa that hits the back of the throat. As the beer warms the spicy notes die out and it is mostly bland tomato with some tap water flavors. The tomato juice flavor lingers on the tongue long after each sip.

M- This beer has a big fizz that covers a lot of the flavor and enhances the tomato.

D- After the first sip I could hardly force myself to take another but I persevered. I made it through 3/4 of a class before I dumped it. I love the taste of fresh tomatoes and salsa but this was just awful. I didn't get any depth just canned tomato juice. There were no beer notes or clam notes. I wouldn't even cook with this beer.

10-07-2007 01:56:12 | More by rhoadsrage
LXIXME

New Mexico

03-10-2014 21:47:30 | More by LXIXME
SetarconeX

1.58/5  rDev -20.6%

Looks almost exactly like a glass of cranberry ginger ale. In retrospect, I much rather would have had a glass of that. Smells strongly of tomato juice, and slightly of clams, which is what I remember Clamato smelling like. Has a strange soda-like fizz to it as well.

Tastes a lot like someone was going to make a Bloody Mary, but couldn't find any vodka, so they used Budweiser instead. Then used way too much salt. Then decided to juice assorted sea creatures into the mix. The lime the can claims is in there seems strangely nonexistent. If it did exist, I'm not sure it would help.

I've never had the misfortune of drinking a glass of fish blood, but I expect this is what it tastes like.

This is not a beer. This is the worst Bloody Mary ever created. Avoid it like the plague.

12-21-2007 17:24:03 | More by SetarconeX
RDW

Nebraska

1.25/5  rDev -37.2%

10-19-2013 03:48:32 | More by RDW
scottblaze

3.1/5  rDev +55.8%

The first time I saw this it was like God Almighty....what kinda crap has Bud come up with now? I'll not elaborate much here because I don't know how to desribe it except that it tastes like Bud/Clamato/Lime/salt. That hot, throat parched day that I decided to try it, I actually liked it enough that I bought it 2 or 3 more times.

All I've gotta say, if you have ever liked red beer, is try it... you too may find it odly refreshing. It is, IMHO, much better than the crap Miller is trying pass off as a Chelada sytle.

Edit: I probably should have given this lower marks on smell and appearance (esp), it doesn't look that appetizing.

09-17-2007 13:54:58 | More by scottblaze
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

1.83/5  rDev -8%

12oz can, from a cross-border beer incursion a few weeks ago, and now into an American pint glass, ever so undeservingly, if I may exercise a bit of prejudgement here.

This 'beer' pours a hazy, chunky pale tomato/salmon colour, with some peppery (I assume) sediment, and two fingers of flimsy, weakly foamy, and soapy dirty white head, which disappears faster than you can say, "a drink for the saucy lady at the end of the bar". If you're looking for lace, you've come to the wrong place, I'm afraid - once the head is gone, this looks all too much like plain grapefruit extract, with a thin oily film around the glass - yum.

It smells of salty tomato juice, black pepper, and a faint seafood stench - very cold mall cafeteria soup-like. The taste starts out pretty much like a Bloody Mary or Caesar for me - salty seafood pasta sauce in liquid format - thick tomato juice, cheap fruits de mer, yer typical salt and pepper spice, and really nothing else - any beer characteristics (hah!) are duly subsumed by the heady Clamato additive.

The carbonation is damned-near non-existent, the body thick, rich, and heavy, yet in a wholly different beverage vector - not bad, just not the right one, y'know? It finishes off-dry, weirdly - sweetly vegetal and of course savoury like those questionable hangover cures of my early university days.

Jesus tap-dancing Christ, this is hardly a beer, despite any underlying, undetectable malt and hop attributes (who am I kidding, this is Bud, after all). As a decided non-fan of Caesars, or Bloody Marys, or whatever, all I can say is that this seems like an attempt to cross promote a different bar drink with their own headlining crappy pale lager. Or perhaps this is just some leftover gazpacho I mistakenly dumped into my glass, which would trip the switch in my brain for this from egregiously pandering, to actually palatable, but more for something resembling food, and not this marketing company cum brewery's idea of an actual beer.

08-15-2010 02:21:43 | More by biboergosum
InsaneBeerLover

1.75/5  rDev -12.1%

08-16-2014 08:00:37 | More by InsaneBeerLover
mdaschaf

Washington

1.48/5  rDev -25.6%

Shared with ShanePB a few weeks ago. Had side to side with Chelada light.

Going to stray from my usual review format for this one. This beer was extremely similar to the light version (see review), except that it was a bit more pungent. The aroma was a bit stronger and spicier, as was the flavor profile.

This beer tastes like over salted, watery tomato juice with pepper and horseradish thrown in. Does not resemble a beer at all.

08-04-2011 18:59:16 | More by mdaschaf
tdm168

2.99/5  rDev +50.3%

A - pinkish orange with a ton of carbonation bubbles and an extremely fizzy, short lived head

S - tomato soup, faint lime, grains

T - tomato soup, faint lime, a bit salty in the finish

M - very crisp, light to medium bodied

This is similar to what I had to say about the picante version just the other day. This definitely won't satisfy any beer purists, but I could see where this beer has a purpose. I can see it as a beer for anyone who enjoys a bloody mary or needs a little hair of the dog. Though this isn't a great beer by any means it definitely achieves its goals.

07-10-2013 12:20:08 | More by tdm168
dertyd

01-19-2013 16:50:18 | More by dertyd
NeroFiddled

1.93/5  rDev -3%

Uggh. Intensely repulsive. I understand that someone likes this, but who? It's a combination of mildly peppery and spicy clamato juice and beer. The fishy smell is repulsive, and the tomato doesn't help the flavor. But who can fault the beer? If A-B hadn't mixed it, the people who drink this stuff would have done it themselves!!! Ahghghhhh... it gives me shivers just thinking about it. I really don't think I could learn to drink this even if I was on a deserted island. But that's just me. So how do you judge this? I'm going to have to go with quickly!!!

04-16-2008 02:29:08 | More by NeroFiddled
Damian74Shensky

South Carolina

04-29-2014 17:39:48 | More by Damian74Shensky
bradford

Alright, curiosity finally got the best of me, and I had to try this, and then Zorro made me feel compelled to reiew it. I bought this at the local market for a thirst quencher at the beach.
It poured a lite red, pink color like grapefruit juice, but smelled like balls and feet.
I really like bloody mary's and I actually enjoy a Budweiser here and again. I feel that Bud actually has a taste as compared to MGD or Natty, but definitely not one of my favorites. The taste was pretty much what I expected. A Bloody Mary with beer instead of Vodka. Maybe if it were a better beer like a decent pilsner or good lager, this would have worked better. Mouthfeel was a bit thick, tomato-ey, and the Clamato is definitely prevelant. Drinkability sucks. It took me over an hour to finish a 24 oz can.
Overall, based on this review, this beer sucks to me. But I actually kind of enjoyed the experience. As a matter of fact I bought another can the next day, and am thinking about picking one up for the beach today. Oh, by the way, this stuff is flying off the shelves around here, so A-B sure has peaked the interest of consumers. Although I do live in Pismo and 5-Cities area which is predominately a Mexican community, so that may have something to do with it.
I say if you get the chance, pick up a can. Not something for everyone, or many for that matter, but it may be worth a try to some. May be your new guilty pleasure beer...

06-24-2007 18:06:43 | More by bradford
Ralphs66

Every few times that I log on to BA, I always make a point to stop by and read some of the Chelada reviews. Some of them are so laugh out loud funny, that I have, on occasion, been brought to tears. Truth be told, after reading the negative ones, I've often asked myself if something can really be as bad as this. I mean, I'll try just about anything (beer or otherwise) and most things I find edible and more often than not, enjoyable. So, when I was in Peekskill Beverage earlier today, picking up a sampling of seasonal beers (and man, Peekskill has really upped their craft selection nicely), I spotted a 24 ouncer of Chelada peeking at me from the cooler. Why not?, I asked....and now the only question is WHY?!? I kid you not....I still gag when I think about what I put in my mouth over two hours ago. And it wasn't much, maybe 3-4 oz. The rest was a drainpour. This is the most vile, evil, putrid stuff that resides on God's green earth. I am fully aware that in some Latin countries, this mixture is often pleasing. However, AB's attempt to mass market this stuff is an absolute abomination. You've been warned...

10-02-2011 21:40:52 | More by Ralphs66
cubbyswans

Missouri

alright, I've had the bloody mary beer before, and they're not bad. Thought maybe this would be like that. I was wrong. It looks like someone vomited blood into a beer, and then it was packaged. A hint of clamato smell was expected, but I didn't expect it to smell like old rotten clams. I got nowhere near finishing this vile drink. I started to gag a few sips into it. Even typing this up almost made me throw up in my mouth. Homeless people would not drink this.

07-21-2008 19:06:01 | More by cubbyswans