Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)
View: Beers (78) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by Amaroq:
Amaroq

4.35/5  rDev +121.9%

Drank it out of the can.

I've never been a beer guy. There's a lot of beers that I think are nasty. There's some beers that have grown on me. And then there's Budweiser Chelada. The king of tomatoey beers.

Appearance: The can is pretty well designed. It advertises pretty much what the beer is. A mixture of Budweiser and Clamato. It also is either blue or red depending on whether you're getting full flavor or light Chelada, making it easy to identify which can to grab off the shelf. The beer inside is obviously red-ish.

I don't understand all the hubbub about foam. I just want to drink it, not get foam all over my face. If you want foam, just mix your own "Red Beer" using budweiser and Clamato, about a third to a half full. Pour the Clamato in first, getting your glass halfway full. And then just, pour in the Budweiser from the can. You'll get your purty foam then.

Smell: I'm a big fan of tomatoey, salty drinks. The smell of the Chelada when I open the can definitely gets me tempted and wanting to drink it. You can definitely smell the fact that it's got the beer and Clamato mixed together. And some of that other stuff too, like the lime.

Taste: Like I mentioned, I'm a huge fan of tomatoey, salty drinks. I have tried red beer, which is traditionally just beer mixed with tomato juice, but it was disgusting. Using Clamato instead of tomato juice gives it something unique that makes all the difference between something drinkable, and something nasty. The spicyness mixed with that lime twist is also really great.

I have actually made my own "Red Beers" using Budweiser and a bottle of Clamato. The Budweiser is a little gross and makes me shudder when I drink it. And the Clamato is delicious, but it's too strong in its delicious tomato-clamjuice flavor. Mixing the two seems to counterbalance each other and make a perfect drink, with the nasty of the Budweiser taking the delicious of the Clamato down a notch, in addition to making it fizzy and giving it the bite of a beer. Mixing my own "Red Beer" is better than Chelada, because the Clamato flavor in the off-the-shelf drink is a bit too light for my tastes, though the salt and lime are good additions to the Chelada drink. I can increase the Clamato to beer ratio to get a stronger Clamato taste, though keeping that balance between the Clamato and the Budweiser. Since I generally don't keep lime juice and spices, the Chelada does have that something that home-mixed "Red Beer" using Clamato generally lacks.

In my opinion, this could be really amazing if they used green olive brine instead of lime.

If you mix your own "Red Beer", it's important that you pour the Clamato first. If you pour the Clamato first, the foam includes the "Red Beer" taste. If you pour the Budweiser first, any foam you get will just have the nasty Budweiser taste. Do about a third to a half Clamato, and the rest of the glass Budweiser. Or whatever ratio you prefer.

Mouthfeel: The feel can also be a bit light. If you mix your own "Red Beer" using Budweiser and Clamato, you can get something heavier by having a higher ratio of Clamato to beer.

Overall: This is an amazing beer in my opinion. It could use a higher ratio of Clamato to beer though. It could also use a sharper salty flavor, perhaps using green olive brine instead of lime juice.

Also, it's an inconvenience that I don't find the full version in grocery stores anymore. Only the light version seems to be available nowadays. I have to go to a liquor store or, if I'm lucky, a gas station, to get the full enChelada.

05-22-2013 11:08:47 | More by Amaroq
CraigTravor

Tennessee

1.25/5  rDev -36.2%

07-20-2014 05:59:13 | More by CraigTravor
WoodchuckBrrrap

Connecticut

3.86/5  rDev +96.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4

I am not Mexican, but sometimes I feel like one. Especially on those hot summer days when I'm dirty. Twenty five ounces of Labomba! Makes me feel classy drinking a cocktail with the king of beers. Don't take too much on for the first sip, if shaken let it have a siesta, it can hit the back of your mouth and you may have the taste of puked Clamato. After that...enjoy the journey. Despite it's contents, the taste is perfumy and not too heavy. To make it authentic, I suggest enjoying it in an ice filled glass with a splash of worecestshire sauce and a slice of lime. But, if you bought a can of this you probably drink it from it's container wrapped in the brown paper bag coozie.

07-19-2014 15:33:51 | More by WoodchuckBrrrap

06-07-2014 18:02:08 | More by IPAbastard760
John_M

Oregon

3.11/5  rDev +58.7%

Graciously donated at a recent bottle share in Portland. Was told by the lucky owner that he'd had this particular can for a couple of years.

What struck me the most about the serving format for this beer, is that it came in a 25 ounce can. I didn't find this beer to be nearly as horrendous as I was expecting, but even so, I can't imagine any circumstance where I'd want to drink 25 ounces of this stuff.

The beer pours a pinkish red color with no head and no lacing. Frankly, it looks (and for that matters tastes) like a somewhat watered down glass of V8 juice. So yeah, the beer looks pretty bizarre, but I guess that's no surprise.

On the nose, this wasn't really all that bad. Once again, the beer smells like tomatoe/V8 juice, with some noticable light clam juice, celery salt and maybe some lime. Again, obviously these aren't aromas I normally associate with beer, but it wasn't awful.

The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, and one thing I really liked about this beer, is that there was absolutely no sign of the base beer (not that I drink bud all that often, but there really wasn't much of an underlying beer flavor to this stuff). Otherwise, I got some V8, claim juice, more celery salt and even some light heat from what tasted like either chili peppers or horseradish. It really wasn't too bad. You can barely tell there's some alcohol in this beer, but it's pretty well disguised actually, and blends in quite well with the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, and the beer didn't seem to have much carbonation (not sure if that's on purpose, or if the two years in can had something to do with that). However, the finish is fairly smooth, and it wasn't too difficult to drink (though again, it's pretty hard to imagine drinking a whole lot of this).

The biggest criticism I would make of this stuff, is that it really doesn't taste like it has anything in common with beer. I'll take the manufacturers word for it that there is some bud in this stuff, but I sure didn't pick it up on nose or palate. Also, while I might not want to drink this stuff, I can think of a number of uses I could make of this stuff for cooking (would go great in chili or in a red pasta sauce I think).

Another example of why it's always good to keep an open mind when sampling something new or outside one's experience. I thought this would be flat out awful, but it really wasn't. Really enjoyed the opportunity to try this at long last.

06-02-2014 16:36:08 | More by John_M