Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Added by Zorro on 06-24-2007

Reviews: 161 | Ratings: 310
Reviews by Wasisname:
1.35/5  rDev -32.8%

Being the adventurous sort, I'll try any beer once. Give it it's fair shake so to speak. Here is an honest assessment.

Don't. Just plain don't. Leave it on the shelf, back away slowly and avoid eye contact.

It poured a murky reddish/grapefruit color and was initially appealing to the eye. When brought to the nose it smelled of beer and clamato as expected. The initial mouthful was perplexing. The carbonation was spritely, and felt good, but the flavor of the concoction was not jiving with the initial sniff. I have no way to describe the dismay I felt as soon as it passed my lips. I soldiered on and finished anyway. Three cans remained, and I was determined to not let my first impression be clouded by the psychological effect Chelada had on me.

Over the course of the next week, I had one can every other day allowing my palate to recover. Each sip was as terrible as the first from can one through can four. This one is a definative low in my book. I give this one a ne'er again and leave it in my wake.

Slainte!

1 pint 8 fl oz can acquired at a cheap Mexican cornerstore in Los Angeles and served into a hefeweissbier glass in me gaff. Reviewed live. Expectations could not be worse.

A: Three finger head of off-pink vomit colour (really, it's fucking uncanny), terrible retention, and no cream. Colour is a nontransparent hazy red. Horrible appearance all around.

Sm: Vomit and tomato puree, with perchance some light grapefruit. This is one of the worst aromas I've ever encountered. And it's moderately strong to boot.

T: Vomit and tomato. Perhaps putrefaction and vague meconium to boot. Really one of the foulest concoctions I've ever endeavored to swallow. Some light clam notes are present, which add to the mixture in a distinctly miserable way. Horribly, wretchedly built and balanced. Atrociously awful. What in Ireland we refer to as "utter shite". It's like they combined Hitler's bodily fluids (and I do mean ALL of them) with smegma. I imagine it would taste the same on the way up. Seriously disgusting.

Mf: Smooth and wet.

Dr: It's appalling this beer even has a market. Who buys this more than once? This is plain terrible. This is otherwordly in its wretchedness. There's a distinct vomit note, and I say that without hyperbole. It would actually be better if it were watery. Please for the love of God don't consume this filth. This is an insult to beer, even by AH Busch standards. Jaysus H Fooking Christ, lads. Don't even use this for cooking. Unfathomably foul.

On the plus side, this probably has enough calories to last you the whole day, so there's value there if you're a decrepit homeless man (or woman - let's be P.C.!) living in alleyway squalor.

If this isn't a 1 out of 5, what is? Where do we draw the line?

1.15/5  rDev -42.8%

Considering I couldn't find Morning Glory, Fou Foune or Pliny the Younger for my thousandth review, I thought I would do something a little different.

Pours a beautiful, hazy red with floating pureed tomato and little red chunks for texture. Can't tell if they are seeds or pieces of tomato skin. Either way, they are very appealing to the eye. Pink, fizzy, soda-like carbonation performs the most amazing disappearing act. Who wants head on their beer anyway?

Complex, delicate aroma of rotten tomatoes paired elegantly with sea salt and lime. Really brings out the strength and spiciness of the rotten fruit.

Flavor begins with savory sea salt quickly shifting into citric, tropical lime. Tomatoes come to life mid drink imparting wonderfully stale, earthy tones. Rich, vomit-like acidity adds a depth to the overall flavor. Subtle pepper spice brings the whole experience together. No malt or hop flavor detected but in a beer this good, who needs it?

Smooth and creamy, moderate body with lots of tiny bubbles bring each and every delectable flavor to the palate one at a time. Wonderful, grainy texture of tomato seeds. Finishes dry from the wealth of sea salt. Every smooth, refreshing sip makes my mouth water for more.

Overall, a stellar fruit beer which really showcases the potential of each and every ingredient involved. What a wonderful blend of such complex and powerful flavors. This beer is so perfect, I feel unworthy to drink it. I suppose I must pour it down the drain.

Pours a kind of vomit color you see when people throw up from drinking too much, but not on an empty stomach, you know, with bits of food coloring mixed with fizzy yellow beer hodgepodge of stuff. Totally offputting. Head instantly disappeared within 3 seconds of the pour. Aroma, even worse than the appearance, smelled worse than budweiser, and somehow worse than tomato juice. I hate tomato juice. Somehow they made it even worse here.

Jeez, the taste is even worse than the smell. Has all the pepper of a super hot bloody mary, a bunch of bitter lemon, and the usual beechwood aged stuff, while palatable, is far from it here. Just a mouthful of salt, lemon, tomato juice and budweiser. I think the only way you could make this any worse would be to add body parts or pickles to it. This beer is 100 times worse than budweiser, if you can even call it a beer. Take a blender, put some oysters, tomatoes, shitty beer and tap water from a sucky area with tons of chlorine, and I think you can make this concoction.

This beer is a hate crime. Its the worst beer I've ever had. I always see empties next to or around dirty diapers in public parks for whatever reason.

1.06/5  rDev -47.3%

With the amount of fizzy yellow and tomato red, you get that shade of pink you see on the sidewalks Sunday morning around bars and whatnot. Aroma is nasty, but if you really try you can try and isolate some tomato.

Taste is like bud light ketchup. Gross sweetness, shitty juice beer, lemon, pepper, gtfo with this nonsense.

One of the worst beers of all time. Utterly terrible in every way. You have no father.

3.1/5  rDev +54.2%

Graciously donated at a recent bottle share in Portland. Was told by the lucky owner that he'd had this particular can for a couple of years.

What struck me the most about the serving format for this beer, is that it came in a 25 ounce can. I didn't find this beer to be nearly as horrendous as I was expecting, but even so, I can't imagine any circumstance where I'd want to drink 25 ounces of this stuff.

The beer pours a pinkish red color with no head and no lacing. Frankly, it looks (and for that matters tastes) like a somewhat watered down glass of V8 juice. So yeah, the beer looks pretty bizarre, but I guess that's no surprise.

On the nose, this wasn't really all that bad. Once again, the beer smells like tomatoe/V8 juice, with some noticable light clam juice, celery salt and maybe some lime. Again, obviously these aren't aromas I normally associate with beer, but it wasn't awful.

The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, and one thing I really liked about this beer, is that there was absolutely no sign of the base beer (not that I drink bud all that often, but there really wasn't much of an underlying beer flavor to this stuff). Otherwise, I got some V8, claim juice, more celery salt and even some light heat from what tasted like either chili peppers or horseradish. It really wasn't too bad. You can barely tell there's some alcohol in this beer, but it's pretty well disguised actually, and blends in quite well with the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, and the beer didn't seem to have much carbonation (not sure if that's on purpose, or if the two years in can had something to do with that). However, the finish is fairly smooth, and it wasn't too difficult to drink (though again, it's pretty hard to imagine drinking a whole lot of this).

The biggest criticism I would make of this stuff, is that it really doesn't taste like it has anything in common with beer. I'll take the manufacturers word for it that there is some bud in this stuff, but I sure didn't pick it up on nose or palate. Also, while I might not want to drink this stuff, I can think of a number of uses I could make of this stuff for cooking (would go great in chili or in a red pasta sauce I think).

Another example of why it's always good to keep an open mind when sampling something new or outside one's experience. I thought this would be flat out awful, but it really wasn't. Really enjoyed the opportunity to try this at long last.

Clamato pours a reddish pinkish color with no head. It smells like tomato juice and vomit. The taste is soapy with big tomato flavors very salty. Horrible flat body, horrible flavors. Overall it is not only the worst beer I ever had, it is the worst thing I have ever tasted.

Every few times that I log on to BA, I always make a point to stop by and read some of the Chelada reviews. Some of them are so laugh out loud funny, that I have, on occasion, been brought to tears. Truth be told, after reading the negative ones, I've often asked myself if something can really be as bad as this. I mean, I'll try just about anything (beer or otherwise) and most things I find edible and more often than not, enjoyable. So, when I was in Peekskill Beverage earlier today, picking up a sampling of seasonal beers (and man, Peekskill has really upped their craft selection nicely), I spotted a 24 ouncer of Chelada peeking at me from the cooler. Why not?, I asked....and now the only question is WHY?!? I kid you not....I still gag when I think about what I put in my mouth over two hours ago. And it wasn't much, maybe 3-4 oz. The rest was a drainpour. This is the most vile, evil, putrid stuff that resides on God's green earth. I am fully aware that in some Latin countries, this mixture is often pleasing. However, AB's attempt to mass market this stuff is an absolute abomination. You've been warned...

alright, I've had the bloody mary beer before, and they're not bad. Thought maybe this would be like that. I was wrong. It looks like someone vomited blood into a beer, and then it was packaged. A hint of clamato smell was expected, but I didn't expect it to smell like old rotten clams. I got nowhere near finishing this vile drink. I started to gag a few sips into it. Even typing this up almost made me throw up in my mouth. Homeless people would not drink this.

1.1/5  rDev -45.3%

16 oz can from my local supermarket.

Pours a pinkish color with a pond scum-like film of a head. The bouquet is that of rotting clams, fish and moldy tomatoes. This smell sort of reminds me of a backing up garbage disposal. The taste is only slightly worse, besides rotten clams and rancid tomatoes; I get puke, and bile. The mouthfeel is greasy. This is definitely an acquired taste, one that transcends and redefines the word disgusting. God help AB (those great Belgian brewers).

1.36/5  rDev -32.3%

I'm sorry but this was the single worst beer I've ever had. Upon one sip it engaged my gag reflex and I began to choke. The rest was poured down the drain. Tastes like liquid Spaghetti O' s mixed with Bud Light. This started as a joke but it made me nauseous and the joke was over.

1.77/5  rDev -11.9%

I'm convinced all the high ratings are AB employees. There is no way a real "beer advocate" would choose this over making their own. Grab your favorite lager and a bottle of clamato juice and mix accordingly. $2.99 a 25oz can, not worth it. Just make your own.

1.48/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a cloudy rose color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mostly of tomato's and not so good. Taste is well, I'm finding it hard to find the words to describe it. Putrid comes to mind. Feels disgusting in the mouth. I would like to congradulate Anheuser-Busch for brewing my first ever drain pour.

1.06/5  rDev -47.3%

Appearance. Pours a lightly rusty tomato-juice red with a little gold.

Smell. Canned tomato juice, celery, a little bit of beer smell that's reminicent of the drips that you get on your hand when you're collecting those beer cans from a party the night before.

Taste. Clamato juice with extra celery, lime juice, and sweet, terrible bmc lager.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with a soft grainy texture, somewhat sticky, and light + carbonation.

Overall. Truly putrid. I hate to be this negative in a review, and rarely am, but this stuff is vile. I thought I could handle this, being a Caesar fan on occasion, but a few sips of this tall boy was enough. I would advise to never buy this beer, even out of curiosity as was the case for me. A rating of 1 seems very generous here.

Got from Scoobydank as part of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly BIF - damn you!!! Poured from a 16oz can (no dating info) into a shaker glass. This did not deserve a pint and I'll have throw away the shaker now that it's been tainted with this evil. It was a watered down bloody mary color. It was very cloudy and had layers to it. Just looked disgusting. It had no head at all. Just some light fizz that almost instantly evaporated. No visible carb or lacing.

The aroma was horrendous. I HATE tomato juice and detest clams so this one is pure hell. The smell alone made me gag. My wife got a huge kick out of watching me smell and taste this thing. She wouldn't try it herself - smart. I could barely get around the smell but I had to taste it since the Ugly in the BIF. Absolutely awful. Did I mention that I HATE tomato juice and clams! Could only get 2 large sips down before I had to drain pour. This is by far, the worst "beer" I have ever tasted. May it rot in hell!!!!

3.9/5  rDev +94%

Let's get something straight...I'm not comparing this to Ayinger or Lagunitas. I absolutely LOVE this beverage as the first one (sometimes even two) of the early evening. No chance I'm drinking 'em all night.

To the point though, it is more beer than juice...there is no hint of "thickness" or "clams" to it and it has just the right amount of peppery taste. I only drink it on hunting trips and recently turned a few doubters into zealous supporters of the almighty Chelada.

Try one in an ice cold can and I guarantee if you ignore your own prejudices you will love it (especially if you like Bloody Marys).

Drank from a 24 oz. can. Bought this thinking it would taste like a michelada.

I know the rest of the U.S. probably hasn't heard of micheladas, but they are really good in the morning and are best served w/ a mexican beer such as Sol or Pacifico. touch of tomato juice, lots of lime, few shakes of salt and plenty of hot sauce (Valentina is the best for this).

A-B's version of this is NOT anywhere close to a michelada.

This abomination smells like clam poo-poo, if bivalves do indeed take a dump. The taste is even worse...I cant even begin to describe how nasty this is. I nearly wretch just trying to take a sip. How can they sell this stuff?

Mouthfeel is like a can of bud light that a dog has taken a crap in and left outside in 100 degree weather for 2 weeks.

Please avoid this at all costs, I beg you. Would never buy again, in fact I wouldnt drink a whole one of these if someone gave me 10 dollars. Worst thing I have ever tasted, no doubt.

1.03/5  rDev -48.8%

haven't opened it yet. reminding myself to keep an open mind, to be objective; though i must admit i'm slightly apprehensive. clam + tomato + bud? good lord. i have forged a tolerance for V8 over the years; maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised.

tallboy served in a standard pint glass.

pours a cloudy pink grapefruit-like tone with a finger of whitish head. very low retention - almost instantly dissipates; no lacing. little things floating it in. that's not too encouraging.

nose (i.e. strench) offers budweiser, vegetable juice, salty low tide, decay, and unrealized dreams. truly unappetizing. judging from the aroma this might be appropriately served by the couple drowned in the ocean by leslie nielsen's character in the creepshow - turning them into zombies covered in seaweed. maybe the taste will be be an improvement.

sweet Jesus. oh momma. the taste! it's hard to describe, this flavor. it's like... if one were to drink V8, have a bud, chug down some sea water, eat clams, eat day-old roadkill, then vomit everything up and serve it in a pint glass. truly the most vile, nasty beverage - not merely beer, but BEVERAGE - i've ever had the misfortune to consume. can't speak to the finish as my gag relex kicked in; had to shove past my wife en route to the sink and violently expel the atrocity from my marred palate.

thin, unimpressive mouthfeel. drinkability couldn't be worse. to me the premise here amounts to the Frankenstein of beer: good intentions, good parts coming together and going horribly, horribly wrong. strike that... clam juice is not a good part. well, i guess this just isn't for me.

1.2/5  rDev -40.3%

I would say that this is the worst beer I've ever had... if I could even call it a beer. It tastes similar to V8 juice. It's a fiasco in a can. I can't even believe they are bottling this.

It's full of salt, too! The crappy taste lingers in your mouth, too. It's like roadkill.

This beer has nothing to recommend it. It wound up as a drain pour. Pours a dark pink color with a light pink head. The head is a weak fizzy one that fades fast. No lacing

Smells like clam juice with tomato. Taste is the same. Little or no taste of beer. You can't say the mouthfeel is too thin. The clam juice and tomato taste are thick, but again there is no hint of beer. Drinkability is terrible. I poured it down the sink after about 6 ounces. I would rather get a buzz off Listerine.

If you want to try something different that is widely criticized, get some Cave Creek Chile beer. More than likely you won't like it, but you will probably finish the bottle.

4.77/5  rDev +137.3%

Appearance - light red, slightly pink.

Smell - slight smell of beer, salt, and fresh vegetables. The smell can be delightful, if your into this sort of drink. However, most people try this beer with the mind set it is going to be disgusting, so the smell can be exaggerated in their mind to something that isn't pleasant.

Taste- delicious. A refreshing beer base taste, with a strong flavor of tomato, and noticeably salty taste. Just because the beer has clam juice doesnt mean the beer taste like clam. Anyone who says it taste like clam is lying, or they don't know what clam tastes like, and they were trying the beer with the mindset that its going to be gross, and their mind is lying to them to make it taste like something that it doesn't. The reason the clam is in the drink isn't to make it taste like clams. its there to add a more natural and unique salty flavor than simply sprinkling salt into a beer. The clam juice allows the saltiness to mix with the beer perfectly giving the beer a consistent salty refreshing taste that does not over power the beer. If you poured this into a glass, and served it to someone who didn't know what it was, they would say it tastes like beer, tomato juice, and salt, but with a slightly more refreshing and carbonated taste. Delicious for anyone who likes beer and tomato juice. Although many people i know who like Red Beers wont give this a 2nd try after hearing about the clams. Its a real mind game for people.

Mouth feel - More carbonated than you would think, as carbonated as a regular beer or more. Because of the natural tomato and clam ingredients, the beer has a very light sediment/pulp similar to a can of tomato juice, but much less noticeable. Give the beer a great feel in the mouth. Leaves the mouth ultra refreshed if served very cold. If you are in the mood to eat and drink, this beer is the best of both worlds because it will leave your senses satisfied from both sides.

Overall- Absolutely fantastic. Anyone who doesn't like this beer either doesn't like a tomato juice type flavor, or their mind has played tricks on them hearing it has clams. If you like Red Beer (tomato juice and beer, plus maybe some Tabasco) then you will like this beverage. If you like Red Beer and you don't like this beverage, you are lying. The clam isn't overpowering, and is almost tasteless. The saltiness will leave you wanting more, and the refreshing nature of the beer will leave you perfectly satisfied. 100% perfectly delicious.

1.31/5  rDev -34.8%

So, this is AB's version of the wonderful Mexican drink Michelada. I found this by the single 24 oz. tall boy can at the Harrisonburg, VA Sheetz for $2.29. Had to be purchased and shared with fellow BA's Ffejherb, SierraGs and Brewslut.

I have enjoyed Michelada along the Carribbean in Veracruz, Mexico so I do have experience with the drink.

A-Comes out reddish as expected but way to thin looking. More pinkish than red. A pinkish bubbly head starts promising and then vanishes like someone waved a magic wand over it and told it to disappear--no lacing whatsoever.

S-To quote Brewslut--"I have smelled vomit that was better than this"! Reminded me of being along the Delaware Bayshore on a hot, late spring day during horseshoe crab spawning and deeply inhaling the wafting odor of thousands of decomposing crab carcasses.

T-Only a slight improvement over the aroma. This is WAY to bland and watery to be considered a real Michelada. Basically no flavour until the end and aftertaste when the Clamato takes over and leaves you with an oddly disturbing "fishy" taste.

M-Almost none. Thin, carbonated water spritzy and a little lingering spice and clam tatste. No richness, zip or tanginess at all.

D-Are there people out there that actually like this? If there are I would love to meet one and ask WHY and or HOW! This is way off. Real Mexicans would never drink this and think of home! Who at AB thought this would be a good idea? Once again AB takes something of a classic and ruins it for the masses scaring people for ever in thinking that this is what a Michelada is supposed to be like.

For some perspective here are two REAL recipes that I found....

Ingredients:
*12 oz. Mexican Beer, non-dark, (Corona, Dos XX....)
*6 oz Motts Clamato
*2 dashes of premium worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins)
*2 dashes Tabasco brand hot sauce
*juice from 2 non-yellow key limes
*1 pinch coarse ground black pepper (Mcormick or from a pepper grinder)
*1 pinch sea salt

Mix all the ingredients except the beer into a shaker and shake briefly. Pour Clamato mix simoultaneously with beer into a 22 oz pilsner glass with a little ice. Watch out because if you pour to fast it will foam up. Rimming the glass with celery salt is optional.

Add vodka if desired. Cant taste it but it helps the alcohol content!

Recipe from Cancun

Ingredients:
*12 oz. Mexican Beer, non-dark, (Negro Modelo or Corona)
*2 dashes of Jugo Sazonador (Maggi) "This is the key to a REAL Michelada"
*2 dashes of premium Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins)
*2 dashes Tabasco brand hot sauce (add more if you like it spicy)
*juice from 2 non-yellow key limes (Very important)

Mix all the ingredients except the beer into a beer glass, stir well, and add a few ice cubes. Rimming the glass with celery salt is optional, but adds to authenticity.

1.03/5  rDev -48.8%

Ever since i heard of this, I just had to try it. I don't know, I'm a sucker for pain. Plus, I had an absolutely devastating meal at Roy Rogers and instead of having to run to the loo on separate occasions, I figured I'd combine the two. 16oz can into my 12oz snifter.

A: Pink grapefruit pour with a massive white head that recedes almost as fast as the head on a soda. There's shit floating around in the beer and this looks ominous. Swirling this leaves a bunch of vegetative sediment on the side of the glass

S: Someone threw an unripened tomato, a cucumber, some salt and pepper into a blender. Maybe if i take a deep breath, I could get some corn from the bud but heck, i'd be comatose by then. Positively revolting and I'm not exaggerating.

T: Sweet corn, tomato, salt, cucumber, onion. Fuck it, give me a V8 instead. This is *horrendous*, beats the Michelob Ultra Pomegranate Raspberry hands down

M: I'd tell you if i swished it around but I couldn't bring myself to.

D: Why would you do this? I mean why?

Notes: I'm going to contradict myself and say that you need to try this. Just make sure that as you pour this down the drain, you only have cold water running - any hot water causes the release of volatiles and nausea on inhalation.

1.53/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This literally tastes like ketchup flavored seltzer. Has a spiciness on the finish that stays on the back of your tongue. Watery mouthfeel but carbonation is very much there. It's just weird. Not surprised this kind of thing is popular in Canada where ketchup flavored chips are also found.

I ended up at a party the other night, after a long day, mind warped and body tired. I saw folks drinking this beer, and I could not resist the evil pull, something inside my wrecked brain urging me to try it, imploring me, to the point where my desire to try this beer bordered on the brink of obsession, and I just had to try it. And it was fucking disgusting. Somehow the brewers at Anheuser Busch managed to make one of the worst macros out there taste even worse. Luckily, I could not taste any clam juice, but I got a little pickling spice, some cheap tomato juice and a nasty taste lingering in my mouth.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch