Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)
1.68/5  rDev -15.6%

Hmmm... Budweiser and Clamato together you say, brewed with a hint of salt and lime? Doesn't really sound at all that appetizing to me, so I wonder what compelled me to pick up a can of this. I guess I am compelled to try whatever strange offerings the big American macrobrewers try hawking at the beer purchasing public, and this definitely struck me as strange.

Bud Chelada pours a translucent coppery red color with two fingers of salmon colored foam that dissipates after about 45 seconds. The initial smell just smelled like regular Budweiser (or Bud Light) to me, but after a few more whiffs the tomato and clam aromas hit my nostrils. The mouthfeel was thin and fizzy, and simply put the beer tasted like a tomato soda. There was some hints of clam (and perhaps even some garlic-like taste) and it was slightly spicy as well. The flavors linger on for a bit in the finish and it fades out with no alcoholic warmth.

I didn't think it was too bad with my first few initial sips and the color was kind of interesting. However, the flavors soon settled in and this one was headed down the drain. I can only tolerate a few sips of this, so how am I supposed to down an entire 24 oz can of this? Definitely not recommended...

Beastdog75, Oct 21, 2008
1.63/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass. Done as part of the cocktail and beer experiment.

It is mentioned to gently rotate this said proud vessel but not SHAKE as to give it a little mix, so I did. Regardless I don't think it made a difference in improving my experience.

Chelada pours a disgusting wet and murky orange toilet sewer color. The head is pinky and stupidly soapy and disappears instantly and leaves nothing in it's place. There's lacing alright, there is vegetative legs and stuck flecks that appear either red, black, or just brown. This looks like it belongs in a toilet.

Bouquet. No Roses have a bouquet this has a smell. Amazingly based on everything I've read about this, this was not what I was expecting. This wasn't salty, or briney, but it was vegetative smelling, but did not smell of seaweed, ocean, clams or even tomatoes. IT smelled EXACTLY like boiled celery. Extremely vegetative but I suppose that's expected, but this doesn't smell even like beer. It smells like a spritzy v8 with a million stalks of celery jammed in it. I was thinking of a good thick Caesar but this smells really thin.

Taste.. oh boy look out. Wet, then tomato like with some salty brine, but a giant vegetative blast of celery. That's about it, it's a V8, seriously a VERY watered down V8. Slightly carbonated with a little fizz but not much, extremely flattened out beer as if a steamroller went over it. I can't even comment about what "beer" is suppose to be in this thing.

Overall pretty much awful, even a bad example of a mixed drink. You'd be better off buying cheap beer and mixing it with something else, if that's your thing.

smakawhat, Jul 11, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -18.1%

A: I'm not sure how this is supposed to look, night as red as I would have expected, more like a tinted amber.

S: Tomato not as prominent, more of the corny budweiser smell with some lime juice coming through.

T: Really bad, reminds me of a bloody mary but so salty its hard to drink. Lime is off-putting too. Just a lot of flavors all trying to compete.

M: Thin and bad, high carbonation.

D: Had a couple sips and poured it.

jiggahertz, Dec 20, 2010
1.6/5  rDev -19.6%

I saw this little number in the cooler at one of my locals lat night and since I was half (or more) in the bag following Groundhog Day, it seemed like just the thing to buy. Now, in the harsh light of day, my buyer's remorse rivals that feeling of Coyote Ugly that I have also experienced many times over the years.

What is this I see before me? It looked like Pink Grapefruit juice, a favorite of mine. Absolutely no head. Flat as a board. But pretty. Very pink, cloudy, like I said, grapefruit juice. Nose was salty, like the breeze blowing in off the Atlantic, underlain with a tomato-like tang. Frankly, Mr. Shankly, my mouth actually began to water. Now for the moment of truth - an actual mouthfull of it. Wow! The mouthfeel was watery thin. The admixture of salt, clam juice, tomato, and beer was just foul. Whew. It reminded me of the fantail on days when we could not dump trash and garbage and the sharks would troll behind us, hoping that we would chum the waters for them, having built up a smell that would fall a redwood. The finish left a taste that can only be described as decomposing flesh. Putrid. Run, don't walk, to the nearest sink and make this a drain pour. OMFG, 24 oz! My drain is now sick.

woodychandler, Feb 03, 2008
1.6/5  rDev -19.6%

Reviewed in the Blind Beer BIF. 24oz can poured into a MBC glass

A:  Dark peach/puke color with a head that is gone before I could even measure it.  Couldn't even get any back with a swirl. No lace (2)

S:  Oh dear god.  It's like a Bloody Mary with a can of tuna juice dropped in.  Or wait, spaghettios! Regardless, since this is beer, it's flat out awful (1)

T: Carbonated bloody Mary and/or liquid spaghettios.  To replacate this beer, put some spaghettios in a blender and add seltzer and BOOM... you have this beer.  Just repulsive (2)

M:  Ummm, uber thin with decent amount of carb (2)

D: Tuuuuribbble.  Would never buy this.  Shouldn't be considered beer. Only drank about 4oz before drainpouring. Offered to other people at my apartment and they also passed (1)

Brez07, Jun 11, 2011
1.58/5  rDev -20.6%

Looks almost exactly like a glass of cranberry ginger ale. In retrospect, I much rather would have had a glass of that. Smells strongly of tomato juice, and slightly of clams, which is what I remember Clamato smelling like. Has a strange soda-like fizz to it as well.

Tastes a lot like someone was going to make a Bloody Mary, but couldn't find any vodka, so they used Budweiser instead. Then used way too much salt. Then decided to juice assorted sea creatures into the mix. The lime the can claims is in there seems strangely nonexistent. If it did exist, I'm not sure it would help.

I've never had the misfortune of drinking a glass of fish blood, but I expect this is what it tastes like.

This is not a beer. This is the worst Bloody Mary ever created. Avoid it like the plague.

SetarconeX, Dec 21, 2007
1.55/5  rDev -22.1%

This beer is true to it's ingredients: Beer and tomato juice. The sharp acidic flavor of the tomato dominates the beer, leaving little appreciation of the timid lager characteristics. The carbonation amplifies the acidity of the beer, giving a harshness that makes drinking difficult. Pungent and diry throughout. The watery mouthfeel comes from a thinning of the tomato juice and giving an alka-selzer-like texture and taste. Nausiating at best; unfit for human consumption at worse. I render it undrinkable.

BEERchitect, Apr 14, 2008
1.55/5  rDev -22.1%

Oh my god. How many people at Budweiser did this product go through, and not one of them said "this sucks" or "why are we doing this" or "is this supposed to taste good". Here is all the review you need to know. Beer + tomato juice + salt. AND it's even advertised on the can that this is beer WITH SALT. So it tastes like a weak watered down bloody marry further watered down with beer, then a ton of salt on top that. I just can't believe how this product made it to store shelves. Think about what that takes (business decision, brewing, marketing, and manufacturing of finished can product). Most brewpubs and micro breweries have a hard enough time getting their stuff in bottles and sold in stored and this SH*T makes it.

danadeny, Mar 13, 2008
1.55/5  rDev -22.1%

Just recently moved out to LA and this seems to be pretty popular out here, especially among the Hispanic population. A lot of my coworkers say that they drink this so I thought I'd give it a try. Surprisingly cheap.

Poured from the 24oz can into a large mug.

A: The beer is a pure cloudy red with a tannish 2.5 finger head with pretty poor retention. I've never seen anything like this before. Strange coloration, but is actually exactly what you would expect tomato juice poured into beer to look like.

S: You can smell this on more than a foot away from the glass. Classic Budweiser smell of grain and corn first, but then comes the lime juice and then a hint of salty briny seawater, and last an overly sweet and peppery tomato-y fruity character that is not only fake, but smells like something you would regurgitate at the end of a rough night.

T: Tomato isn't actually as huge as I thought but it's a definite presence. Much more corn and lime and grain. It's very sickeningly sweet. Almost syrupy. Awful.

I will never drink this again but I guess it was good for the experience. Wow, what an experiment. It would be ok maybe if you made one of these yourself with natural ingredients, but this was just plain bad.

BucBasil, Nov 14, 2010
1.53/5  rDev -23.1%

Super cloudy red with chunks of tomato. The head was super fizzy and disappeared almost immediately, leaving zero lace.

Smell is extremely heavily tomato, with heavy lime and a good portion of cardboard box.

Taste is super spicy, peppery with tons of clamato and a slightly sweet tomato paste finish.

Body is watery and poor, with almost an after-burn from the spices.

I've had the chelada light, and it's much better. However, they're both still bad, and bud regular chelada is a near drainpour unless you're out of money, too drunk to go to the store, or have no tastebuds.

AlCaponeJunior, Oct 04, 2011
1.53/5  rDev -23.1%

Gross. This beer was kind of orange and hazy, reddish maybe, no head, big bubble carbonation, no head, no lacing, looked gross.

Aroma was salty, the way the ocean is salty, smelled like seaweed.

Beer is thin and salty with this seafood flavor that is nearly intolerable. The lime comes up later, undrinkable. One of the worse beers I've ever had.

Side bar: When I poured the remainder of the can out, it got darker, there were no instructions to shake the can before serving, I think the majority of tomato juice settled out.

drabmuh, Apr 06, 2011

Wortman1998, Jun 25, 2014

Budweiser=Terrible
Clam Juice= Terrible
Tomato Juice= Terrible

This can't end good. So what I gather from talking to a few people, this is similar to the bloody mary to cure a hangover thing. Unfortunately, I'll be drinking this as my first beer of the day in the early afternoon.

I refuse to taint my glasses with this mess, so I will be drinking this directly from the 24 oz can it comes in. Thus, the appearance will receive a 3 to be fair. I would do the same for the aroma, but as soon as I crack the can, the stench emitting from it is overpowering. I'll put it like this, after taking a sip, my wife refused to kiss me and told me to go brush my teeth first.

As I take my first sip, I remind myself to remain objective despite my prior assumptions of the beer. Didn't take long for the preconceived notion to come to fruition though. This is going to take awhile to get down.

All I'm getting is clamato. I ask myself maybe I was supposed to shake it. I examine the can and see "Ino Agite! Do not Shake. Rotate gently to mix" DOH!! Can't rotate it gently now so I pour it into one of those cheap plastic cup you get as souvenirs from places. There is all kinds of shit floating in this. Bits of tomato and clam? I just threw up in my mouth a little.

It also smells worse now. The can actually did it justice. Kept the aroma back and hid all the shit suspended in it.

Pouring it into the cup did let some of the Budweiser come through, but clamato still dominates. This shit sucks. I told myself I would finish it no matter what, but this is gonna be tough.

This beer is terrible. Ticker or not, I'd try to avoid this one if I were you.

pwoody11, Jan 05, 2011

zjohnson715, Jul 31, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -24.6%

I'm glad I didn't pay for this one. My father-in-law had it in the fridge, so I thought I would give it a try. My initial thought is that your enjoyment of this beer will be more on whether you like tomato juice, rather than if you like beer.

A - Grapefruit red, actually rather pleasant on the eyes. Fizzy head that dissipates as quick as you pour. Zero lacing. Flaky bits of red float throughout.

S - Tomato dominates, obviously.

T - Sweet tomatoes, very strong at the beginning. Next, comes the salt and pepper. The beer ends with the smallest of small hint of beer. A very odd combination. Again if you like tomato juice (I can do without), this one might agree with you. Otherwise, leave it.

M - Blah

D - I drank half of my glass and was done. Why waste the calories.

LuthersMug, Aug 28, 2010

Alek, Feb 17, 2013

derkfromwi, Mar 15, 2014
1.48/5  rDev -25.6%

Shared with ShanePB a few weeks ago. Had side to side with Chelada light.

Going to stray from my usual review format for this one. This beer was extremely similar to the light version (see review), except that it was a bit more pungent. The aroma was a bit stronger and spicier, as was the flavor profile.

This beer tastes like over salted, watery tomato juice with pepper and horseradish thrown in. Does not resemble a beer at all.

mdaschaf, Aug 04, 2011