Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007

1.08/5  rDev -46.8%

Only sampled a very small glass at a neighbors on Thanksgiving. Red and cloudy, like tomato soup with Sprite and milk mixed in.

Aroma is like concentrated Long Island Sound. Brine and spice with a distinct dead sea creature nuance.

Flavor is so bad I can scarsely describe it. Pain. Fear. Agony. This is what cancer tastes like.

Body is akin to tomato soup mixed with Diet Sprite. Filthy and undrinkable. This tastes like a terrorist plot.

1.06/5  rDev -47.8%

Appearance. Pours a lightly rusty tomato-juice red with a little gold.

Smell. Canned tomato juice, celery, a little bit of beer smell that's reminicent of the drips that you get on your hand when you're collecting those beer cans from a party the night before.

Taste. Clamato juice with extra celery, lime juice, and sweet, terrible bmc lager.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with a soft grainy texture, somewhat sticky, and light + carbonation.

Overall. Truly putrid. I hate to be this negative in a review, and rarely am, but this stuff is vile. I thought I could handle this, being a Caesar fan on occasion, but a few sips of this tall boy was enough. I would advise to never buy this beer, even out of curiosity as was the case for me. A rating of 1 seems very generous here.

1.06/5  rDev -47.8%

L:Light pink salmon color. What head there was is a white pinkish color. Very cloudy and very pink.
S:Smells like a salty runny tomato spaghetti sauce. Like a meaty spaghetti sauce that has gone rotten.
T:A dsiturbingly gross rotted meat. It taste like spaghetti sauce that has been watered down. A odd spice also lingers in my mouth.
M:Sharp fizz and really watery. To be honest, I could not keep it in my mouth long enough to get much of a good mouth feel.
D:Friggin awful. Absolutely the worst beer I have ever had. Poured out what was left.

1.05/5  rDev -48.3%

Never had before, so I figured I'd try before I bash. Poured from a classy 24 oz. can, "beer" pours a hazy red color and has no head. Doesn't resemble a beer. The smell is a nasty mix of tomatoes, budweiser and sprite. The taste is terrible - makes me want to vomit. Mouthfeel is fairly viscous and has almost no carbonation. This is a complete drain pour for me. I hate tomatoe juice and if I had been smart enough to put "clamato" together I may have realized that this wasn't for me. I remember my dad telling me stories of mixing Colt 45 with V8 juice, I imagine he may like this - but I think it's horrible.

1.03/5  rDev -49.3%

haven't opened it yet. reminding myself to keep an open mind, to be objective; though i must admit i'm slightly apprehensive. clam + tomato + bud? good lord. i have forged a tolerance for V8 over the years; maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised.

tallboy served in a standard pint glass.

pours a cloudy pink grapefruit-like tone with a finger of whitish head. very low retention - almost instantly dissipates; no lacing. little things floating it in. that's not too encouraging.

nose (i.e. strench) offers budweiser, vegetable juice, salty low tide, decay, and unrealized dreams. truly unappetizing. judging from the aroma this might be appropriately served by the couple drowned in the ocean by leslie nielsen's character in the creepshow - turning them into zombies covered in seaweed. maybe the taste will be be an improvement.

sweet Jesus. oh momma. the taste! it's hard to describe, this flavor. it's like... if one were to drink V8, have a bud, chug down some sea water, eat clams, eat day-old roadkill, then vomit everything up and serve it in a pint glass. truly the most vile, nasty beverage - not merely beer, but BEVERAGE - i've ever had the misfortune to consume. can't speak to the finish as my gag relex kicked in; had to shove past my wife en route to the sink and violently expel the atrocity from my marred palate.

thin, unimpressive mouthfeel. drinkability couldn't be worse. to me the premise here amounts to the Frankenstein of beer: good intentions, good parts coming together and going horribly, horribly wrong. strike that... clam juice is not a good part. well, i guess this just isn't for me.

1.03/5  rDev -49.3%

Ever since i heard of this, I just had to try it. I don't know, I'm a sucker for pain. Plus, I had an absolutely devastating meal at Roy Rogers and instead of having to run to the loo on separate occasions, I figured I'd combine the two. 16oz can into my 12oz snifter.

A: Pink grapefruit pour with a massive white head that recedes almost as fast as the head on a soda. There's shit floating around in the beer and this looks ominous. Swirling this leaves a bunch of vegetative sediment on the side of the glass

S: Someone threw an unripened tomato, a cucumber, some salt and pepper into a blender. Maybe if i take a deep breath, I could get some corn from the bud but heck, i'd be comatose by then. Positively revolting and I'm not exaggerating.

T: Sweet corn, tomato, salt, cucumber, onion. Fuck it, give me a V8 instead. This is *horrendous*, beats the Michelob Ultra Pomegranate Raspberry hands down

M: I'd tell you if i swished it around but I couldn't bring myself to.

D: Why would you do this? I mean why?

Notes: I'm going to contradict myself and say that you need to try this. Just make sure that as you pour this down the drain, you only have cold water running - any hot water causes the release of volatiles and nausea on inhalation.

1.03/5  rDev -49.3%

A big screw AKBelgianBeast for this one. It was part of my losings for the LNBA FF. And I've had the light version of this and I'm hating Frank in the worst way at the moment.

A- This beer is staring this evil stare at me, and it is making me feel very uncomfortable. It appears to be Satan's tears. This pinkish reddish fluid is not looking good.

S- Dear God! If only you can see me gag. I hate clamato juice so this one is just making me ready to vomit as is. There is a hint of beer with this foul clam tomato juice concoction.

T- Shit, I don't want to drink this. Seriously I should just pour this out and save my tastebuds from the low tide flavor to come. I'm actually having to psych myself up to drink this. Ok, deep breath and here we go. Up yours Frank. Why?!? Why?!?! Why did the AB company decide to blend tomato sauce with hooker poon tang? Was this beer brewed with vaginal yeast, and was the donor on the rag? This beer is horrid, if I could rate this there would be a minus score here. I literally almost blew chunks.

M- I was so focused on not vomiting, yet trying to taste the beer that I didn't get much of a mouthfeel.

D- Hell no, the only way you would think this is tasty and drinkable is if you are missing many teeth, get offended by Jeff Foxworthy redneck jokes, or are just from Montana.

1.03/5  rDev -49.3%

A: Pours a murky ruby red grapefruit juice like color with very little head that fades incredibly quickly. There is no foam on the beer after it settles and no lacing at all. It's a bit darker than the Bud-Light version.

S: Again, this beer smells terrible. It smells of tomato, salt, and pepper.

T: It tastes of mild tomato, lime, salt, and pepper. It also has a bit of a tart finish. I actually think it's worse than the Bud-Light version.

M: Light bodied beer. It's slimey, and there is a bit of an effervescent carbonation in the finish.

O: It's bad and it's really gross. It is definitely worse than the other version. The rest of the can is headed down the drain.

Pours a kind of vomit color you see when people throw up from drinking too much, but not on an empty stomach, you know, with bits of food coloring mixed with fizzy yellow beer hodgepodge of stuff. Totally offputting. Head instantly disappeared within 3 seconds of the pour. Aroma, even worse than the appearance, smelled worse than budweiser, and somehow worse than tomato juice. I hate tomato juice. Somehow they made it even worse here.

Jeez, the taste is even worse than the smell. Has all the pepper of a super hot bloody mary, a bunch of bitter lemon, and the usual beechwood aged stuff, while palatable, is far from it here. Just a mouthful of salt, lemon, tomato juice and budweiser. I think the only way you could make this any worse would be to add body parts or pickles to it. This beer is 100 times worse than budweiser, if you can even call it a beer. Take a blender, put some oysters, tomatoes, shitty beer and tap water from a sucky area with tons of chlorine, and I think you can make this concoction.

This beer is a hate crime. Its the worst beer I've ever had. I always see empties next to or around dirty diapers in public parks for whatever reason.

I guess in every beer drinkers path comes a time to thank Anheuser Busch for leading them away from mainstream beer and into fine craft ales and lagers versus the industrial brethren. Anyway thanks AB and how more appropriate could I do that than by dedicating my 1500th hundred beer review to you. I guess this beer is a portrayal of how mass marketers think, Mexican immigrants they drink shitty beer that they have to cover up with tomato juice and citrus and salt. Let's make it easy for one of our largest growing markets, plus we have to compete with Miller they are the biggest thing out right now with their Chill, I got it let's make a chelada style and go all out we're adding clamato juice plus those old timers who mix Bud with their tomato juice will go for it too. Let's charge 2.50 a can this is specialty beer for immigrant workers. Anyway that spiel is over appears a pink ruby red grapefruit like appearance with absolutely no head forming, wow. Aroma tomatoes and salt with seafood somewhere in the distance, incredible that this is really out there in stores it seems like somebody gave me a gag gift. This beer is like going golfing and somebody giving you an exploding golf ball, I'm that fuckin' shocked. Flavor is salty with minimal citrus and beer, finishes heavy with mild seafood shells or oyster & tomato juice. It crushes my palate burns my throat and really makes me thirsty for a water, hey let's drink more bud light. This beer tastes like acid reflux it's fuckin' horrible and not in a funny way. Mouthfeel is fizzy and viscous with Clamato juice. This does no justice for either two products Budweiser and Clamato have been shame poor Mott's Apple sauce they're the parent company of Clamato their stock is crashing as we speak. By the way if you have chapped lips or cold sores (herpes type I) stay the hell away from this beer, like putting salt in the wounds. Tonight I'm pairing Chelada with Wendy's Chili another brand to add to the corporate clash. Drinkability is shit across the board...by the way Wendy's chili doesn't make this beer any better or worse. The worst beer that's ever crossed the palate, thank you AB, Miller, and Coors for mindlessly competing with each other. Without big companies like you interested in teh bottom line and not taste, these small specialty breweries wouldn't be flourishing the way they are now. Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer kicks the shit out of this Chelada style beer. Tomme Arthur says Fuck Ebay and Big Tony says FUCK A-B!

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer has a hazy ruby red grapefruit color with a strong carbonation of large bubbles. The big fizzy head fades before I set the beer on the bar.

S- The bright smell of tomato juice has a hint of salsa spice to it. No smell of any grain or malt.

T- This beer has a big bland tomato juice flavor with some salsa notes and a burn of spicy salsa that hits the back of the throat. As the beer warms the spicy notes die out and it is mostly bland tomato with some tap water flavors. The tomato juice flavor lingers on the tongue long after each sip.

M- This beer has a big fizz that covers a lot of the flavor and enhances the tomato.

D- After the first sip I could hardly force myself to take another but I persevered. I made it through 3/4 of a class before I dumped it. I love the taste of fresh tomatoes and salsa but this was just awful. I didn't get any depth just canned tomato juice. There were no beer notes or clam notes. I wouldn't even cook with this beer.

Every few times that I log on to BA, I always make a point to stop by and read some of the Chelada reviews. Some of them are so laugh out loud funny, that I have, on occasion, been brought to tears. Truth be told, after reading the negative ones, I've often asked myself if something can really be as bad as this. I mean, I'll try just about anything (beer or otherwise) and most things I find edible and more often than not, enjoyable. So, when I was in Peekskill Beverage earlier today, picking up a sampling of seasonal beers (and man, Peekskill has really upped their craft selection nicely), I spotted a 24 ouncer of Chelada peeking at me from the cooler. Why not?, I asked....and now the only question is WHY?!? I kid you not....I still gag when I think about what I put in my mouth over two hours ago. And it wasn't much, maybe 3-4 oz. The rest was a drainpour. This is the most vile, evil, putrid stuff that resides on God's green earth. I am fully aware that in some Latin countries, this mixture is often pleasing. However, AB's attempt to mass market this stuff is an absolute abomination. You've been warned...

alright, I've had the bloody mary beer before, and they're not bad. Thought maybe this would be like that. I was wrong. It looks like someone vomited blood into a beer, and then it was packaged. A hint of clamato smell was expected, but I didn't expect it to smell like old rotten clams. I got nowhere near finishing this vile drink. I started to gag a few sips into it. Even typing this up almost made me throw up in my mouth. Homeless people would not drink this.

Got from Scoobydank as part of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly BIF - damn you!!! Poured from a 16oz can (no dating info) into a shaker glass. This did not deserve a pint and I'll have throw away the shaker now that it's been tainted with this evil. It was a watered down bloody mary color. It was very cloudy and had layers to it. Just looked disgusting. It had no head at all. Just some light fizz that almost instantly evaporated. No visible carb or lacing.

The aroma was horrendous. I HATE tomato juice and detest clams so this one is pure hell. The smell alone made me gag. My wife got a huge kick out of watching me smell and taste this thing. She wouldn't try it herself - smart. I could barely get around the smell but I had to taste it since the Ugly in the BIF. Absolutely awful. Did I mention that I HATE tomato juice and clams! Could only get 2 large sips down before I had to drain pour. This is by far, the worst "beer" I have ever tasted. May it rot in hell!!!!

Been wanting to try this one for a long time, glad I finally had the chance.

Appearance: Fizzy, hazy reddish-pink with no head retention.

Smell: Cilantro, parsley, tomatoes and faint seafood. Normally this would be appetizing to me, but this is beer we're talking about here, and it's cold. Kinda revolting.

Taste & mouthfeel: Salty tomato with a clammy kick. I can't really taste any actual beer flavors here, but Bud is pretty subtle stuff to begin with. Honestly, beer geekery aside, this is probably the worst beer I've ever tasted. It's every bit as bad as I was hoping it would be, possibly even moreso. My quest to find the worst beer ever made has come to an end. Now to grab a couple cans to cellar...

Drank from a 24 oz. can. Bought this thinking it would taste like a michelada.

I know the rest of the U.S. probably hasn't heard of micheladas, but they are really good in the morning and are best served w/ a mexican beer such as Sol or Pacifico. touch of tomato juice, lots of lime, few shakes of salt and plenty of hot sauce (Valentina is the best for this).

A-B's version of this is NOT anywhere close to a michelada.

This abomination smells like clam poo-poo, if bivalves do indeed take a dump. The taste is even worse...I cant even begin to describe how nasty this is. I nearly wretch just trying to take a sip. How can they sell this stuff?

Mouthfeel is like a can of bud light that a dog has taken a crap in and left outside in 100 degree weather for 2 weeks.

Please avoid this at all costs, I beg you. Would never buy again, in fact I wouldnt drink a whole one of these if someone gave me 10 dollars. Worst thing I have ever tasted, no doubt.

24 oz can: Pours a weird looking cloudy orangish/amber color with a medium sized white head that diminishes into nothing. Aroma is bloody Mary mix and a little bit a grainy scent. Taste is salty, tomato, and a bit of a strange taste to it. Palate is tomato, salty, and rather strange for a beer to say the least. Overall, I kind of get the idea what Budweiser was going for. It just amazes me that they make this stuff rather than trying to make quality craft beer. Oh well...It's Budweiser. I'm sorry after trying to drink the rest of this can. Drain pour! Cheers!

I'm sorry, I personally don't think this beer deserves an actual review. I know BA doesn't like beers being openly bashed but this is possibly the most foul tasting things I've ever put in my mouth. I don't know why I still see it at my local grocery store to this day. Sorry but this is unacceptable

This beer has nothing to recommend it. It wound up as a drain pour. Pours a dark pink color with a light pink head. The head is a weak fizzy one that fades fast. No lacing

Smells like clam juice with tomato. Taste is the same. Little or no taste of beer. You can't say the mouthfeel is too thin. The clam juice and tomato taste are thick, but again there is no hint of beer. Drinkability is terrible. I poured it down the sink after about 6 ounces. I would rather get a buzz off Listerine.

If you want to try something different that is widely criticized, get some Cave Creek Chile beer. More than likely you won't like it, but you will probably finish the bottle.

1 pint 8 fl oz can acquired at a cheap Mexican cornerstore in Los Angeles and served into a hefeweissbier glass in me gaff. Reviewed live. Expectations could not be worse.

A: Three finger head of off-pink vomit colour (really, it's fucking uncanny), terrible retention, and no cream. Colour is a nontransparent hazy red. Horrible appearance all around.

Sm: Vomit and tomato puree, with perchance some light grapefruit. This is one of the worst aromas I've ever encountered. And it's moderately strong to boot.

T: Vomit and tomato. Perhaps putrefaction and vague meconium to boot. Really one of the foulest concoctions I've ever endeavored to swallow. Some light clam notes are present, which add to the mixture in a distinctly miserable way. Horribly, wretchedly built and balanced. Atrociously awful. What in Ireland we refer to as "utter shite". It's like they combined Hitler's bodily fluids (and I do mean ALL of them) with smegma. I imagine it would taste the same on the way up. Seriously disgusting.

Mf: Smooth and wet.

Dr: It's appalling this beer even has a market. Who buys this more than once? This is plain terrible. This is otherwordly in its wretchedness. There's a distinct vomit note, and I say that without hyperbole. It would actually be better if it were watery. Please for the love of God don't consume this filth. This is an insult to beer, even by AH Busch standards. Jaysus H Fooking Christ, lads. Don't even use this for cooking. Unfathomably foul.

If this isn't a 1 out of 5, what is? Where do we draw the line?

I ended up at a party the other night, after a long day, mind warped and body tired. I saw folks drinking this beer, and I could not resist the evil pull, something inside my wrecked brain urging me to try it, imploring me, to the point where my desire to try this beer bordered on the brink of obsession, and I just had to try it. And it was fucking disgusting. Somehow the brewers at Anheuser Busch managed to make one of the worst macros out there taste even worse. Luckily, I could not taste any clam juice, but I got a little pickling spice, some cheap tomato juice and a nasty taste lingering in my mouth.

My friend bought and shared this with me straight from the can.

It looked reddish.
Smelled awful..kind of like V8 tomato drink and something else.
Taste was just plain nasty. Clam, tomato, and beer. I almost puked.
I think this the worst tasting beverage I have ever drank in my life.

Savannah IL. A surprise flash flood finds me and my mates hectically trying to protect our campsite belongings before relinquishing all control to the rain. We retreat in our rental to Cap'n Walts liquor/bar to wait it out. At some point our semi-ironic perusal of the worst beers on hand produces chelada, the most memorable selection of the evening, even more so than Sparks. The can which clearly states not to shake the product is covered with corporate shite. We decided (sans shake) that the beer should be reviewed in thirds. The first third a watery swill that may or may not be pure busch. the second a skanky redolent factorized seafood which is reminiscent only of vomit going the wrong direction. The third, and this is after repeated round-robins amongst the brave,brave,b rave, coowardly goes to one last soul who describes the experience as a potpourri of every spice and flavoring and coloring we should have had earlier. Spicy MSG, fake tomatoes, kind of a stale bloody mary gone bad sitting around, a frat dorm party the following weekend drink this on a dare, type of wretchedness.
After the beverage we are suddenly imbued with a sober sense of newfound clarity, an appreciation for the good things in life and a post-war wariness of how close we could all be to the ugliness and wickedness. We visit nearby "Poopy's" and all get tattoos of "never again" it could mean the terrorists or the exxon valdez spill or numerous other things but it DOES mean no more chelada, now or ever, it is solidarity, and an inside joke, and the best of all possible reasons to get inked.

A- Poured to a very bubbly head that disappeared before I put the can down. Looked like a watered down version of tomato soup.
S- Smelled of tomato juice, salsa, and spices or pepper. T- Tasted like s---. (you can fill in the blanks). Had a hot after taste. Also tasted like watered down tomato soup.
M- Terrible, I was afraid to swallow after it was in my mouth for fear of puking. To much carbonation. Very watery.
D- Are you kidding, I threw the can and product away, even though it was a 10 cent deposit. I felt like I needed drano to get rid of the taste. Do not waste your money. This shoudnt even be on this web sight, this product does not even resemble beer in any form.

Saw this at the store and had to try it. Ended up being a good way to increase my appreciation for quality beer. A cloudy pinkish red with not much of a head. The nose and taste are of watered down tomato juice and stale grains. Thin body with too much carbonation. Terrible stuff.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch