Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 280 | Reviews: 152
3.25/5  rDev +59.3%

3.25/5  rDev +59.3%

3.24/5  rDev +58.8%

3.2/5  rDev +56.9%

I tried this concoction after mowing my yard last weekend. Last time I was a fan of Bud was when I was a kid; so much for palate back in those days (zero). Anyway, my son has been bringing these home and, being a bloody mary fan, I decided to give one a try. Boy, I was pleasantly surprised! I found it to be quite refreshing and not nearly as bad as I've been hearing. I see by some of the reviews here that it's not thought of very highly, but come on! We're not talking about craft beer here, folks. For what it is, it not that bad at all. A bit steep at $3.40 a can, but I'll be having another.

3.18/5  rDev +55.9%

Seriously, you guys rating Chelada like its some kinda craft brew. Get over yourselves. It's friggin Budweiser and Clamato for Christ's sake!

First let's get a few things straight: Chelada is drunk only on swelteringly hot days. If you already took two showers today and you are just barely fending off the swamp ass, now THAT's a perfect day for a Chelada. I don't care if you drink it outta a frozen beer glass (good), an elegant champagne flute (better) or right out of the can (best, and good for mopping sweaty brow), it had damn well better be ice cold!

Here's the review: It tastes like Bud with Clamato. If you don't like those things, why on earth are you drinking Chelada? Go order yourself a burly man beer.

If you are lucky enough to live near an Hispanic community (Tip: No beer cocktail can beat into submission spicy authentic Mexican dishes like Chelada), your retailer may carry the Lime & Salt variety. Just consider yourself blessed.

Oh, one other thing. How many Cheladas should you have?

Martini lovers will know the answer: "There's nothing quite like your first sip of your second Martini."

Beer snobs can go smoke some hops. Anyone who loves food, drink and regional/ethnic delights, go find yourself a cold fridge and see if there's a Chelada in there!

3.14/5  rDev +53.9%

It was way better than expected. Not quite a "red" beer. Color is similar to watermellon juice; kind of pink. Soda pop foam when poured with no head or lace. Very pronounced Clamato aroma - fishy and tomatoey.. Ditto with the flavor. Not that bad, though, really. Actually I like it much better than a shandy. Wonder how it'd be using a weiss beer as a base instead of macro lagar. The Clamato totally dominates the Bud. Got it at a quick mart in North Miami Beach. Has almost no beer character. As far as being a great beer, the can says "drink alone or as a mixer". Read into that as you wish.

3.1/5  rDev +52%

The first time I saw this it was like God Almighty....what kinda crap has Bud come up with now? I'll not elaborate much here because I don't know how to desribe it except that it tastes like Bud/Clamato/Lime/salt. That hot, throat parched day that I decided to try it, I actually liked it enough that I bought it 2 or 3 more times.

All I've gotta say, if you have ever liked red beer, is try it... you too may find it odly refreshing. It is, IMHO, much better than the crap Miller is trying pass off as a Chelada sytle.

Edit: I probably should have given this lower marks on smell and appearance (esp), it doesn't look that appetizing.

3.1/5  rDev +52%

Graciously donated at a recent bottle share in Portland. Was told by the lucky owner that he'd had this particular can for a couple of years.

What struck me the most about the serving format for this beer, is that it came in a 25 ounce can. I didn't find this beer to be nearly as horrendous as I was expecting, but even so, I can't imagine any circumstance where I'd want to drink 25 ounces of this stuff.

The beer pours a pinkish red color with no head and no lacing. Frankly, it looks (and for that matters tastes) like a somewhat watered down glass of V8 juice. So yeah, the beer looks pretty bizarre, but I guess that's no surprise.

On the nose, this wasn't really all that bad. Once again, the beer smells like tomatoe/V8 juice, with some noticable light clam juice, celery salt and maybe some lime. Again, obviously these aren't aromas I normally associate with beer, but it wasn't awful.

The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, and one thing I really liked about this beer, is that there was absolutely no sign of the base beer (not that I drink bud all that often, but there really wasn't much of an underlying beer flavor to this stuff). Otherwise, I got some V8, claim juice, more celery salt and even some light heat from what tasted like either chili peppers or horseradish. It really wasn't too bad. You can barely tell there's some alcohol in this beer, but it's pretty well disguised actually, and blends in quite well with the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, and the beer didn't seem to have much carbonation (not sure if that's on purpose, or if the two years in can had something to do with that). However, the finish is fairly smooth, and it wasn't too difficult to drink (though again, it's pretty hard to imagine drinking a whole lot of this).

The biggest criticism I would make of this stuff, is that it really doesn't taste like it has anything in common with beer. I'll take the manufacturers word for it that there is some bud in this stuff, but I sure didn't pick it up on nose or palate. Also, while I might not want to drink this stuff, I can think of a number of uses I could make of this stuff for cooking (would go great in chili or in a red pasta sauce I think).

Another example of why it's always good to keep an open mind when sampling something new or outside one's experience. I thought this would be flat out awful, but it really wasn't. Really enjoyed the opportunity to try this at long last.

3.09/5  rDev +51.5%

I like this version a lot better than Bud light

3.02/5  rDev +48%

After drinking so many good beers lately, I was forced to go slumming down the canned BMC section of Kroger's for an upcoming camping trip. Then I spied this repulsive sounding beer.

This beer has a sickly orange pink glow to it. Strange pink head that dissipates quickly. Quite a bit of tomato floaties.

Aroma is tomatoes, not much else.

This beer tastes like a decent Bloody Mary. Some peppery spices , a hint of lime , very salty.

Mouthfeel is about what I'd expect?? A little too carbonated.

I'll probably drink more of these, most likely in the morning. Maybe a little pricey considering the ingredients.

Never had this one either and also sampled last night on 8/18/14. This one came in a 25 ounce can for $2.39. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage "Budwesier' thumb print glass goblet that I bought for 59 cents about a mont ago at the local Salvation Army Store in 'like-new' condition.

Pours a pinkish-red in color with no head to speak of and no lacing to mention either. The aroma is would be expected and is of 'beer and tomato juice'. More going on with the taste as you can taste the lime and salt in the mix also. A little tangy on the tongue. Not as bad as i did except but not a great one either. It is different.

A - Hazy orange/pink like watered down tomato juice.

S - Mostly tomato. Some clams I guess.

T - Salty, a bit sweet. Fizzy tomato juice... A bit tart and a light, light bitterness in the aftertaste. Some tomato.

M - Fizzy and pop/seltzer like.

D - Not bad actually, if you like this sort of thing. Obviously not especially beery. Good choice to use something relatively flavourless to mix with the tomato maybe... I probably won't be able to finish this 24 ouncer though. Classic case of it is what it is.

2.99/5  rDev +46.6%

A - pinkish orange with a ton of carbonation bubbles and an extremely fizzy, short lived head

S - tomato soup, faint lime, grains

T - tomato soup, faint lime, a bit salty in the finish

M - very crisp, light to medium bodied

This is similar to what I had to say about the picante version just the other day. This definitely won't satisfy any beer purists, but I could see where this beer has a purpose. I can see it as a beer for anyone who enjoys a bloody mary or needs a little hair of the dog. Though this isn't a great beer by any means it definitely achieves its goals.

2.9/5  rDev +42.2%

Appearance: Rhubarb sauce colored liquid with a short-lived, fizzy pink head.

Smell: Hint of beer, tomatoes and a strange fishy smell.

Taste: Not totally bad. This would be good with breakfast. The beer flavors linger underneath the taste of vegetable juice. Slightly spicy finish with hints of lime.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Very chunky.

Drinkablity: I had to give it a try. Not too bad, but not a classic either.

2.84/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A Bloody Mary in beer form.
Not what I expected. There was a lot of apprehension before popping this one open, and I ended up with far less chagrin than anticipated. Bright pink and sludgy, not clear. Light pink, dirty-looking soapy head drops quickly as expected and leaves nothing behind. Aroma consists of tomato juice mostly, a distinct ocean-saltiness, and very faint fishiness, but not nearly the fish oil I expected.
Flavor is dominated by salty tomato, just a hint of seafood in the finish, and a good bit of salt... maybe some lime, like those tortilla with a "hint of lime" that are overwhelmed with the stuff. Some of the adjunct notes become evident as it warms.
Mouthfeel is sludgy, a light spiciness in the finish, low carbonation.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm sure I won't buy it again, but if you're craving a Bloody Mary, it's cheap and really not bad. For what they tried to do, I think they've accomplished it. Now, as rated against most other beers, it's subpar. But rated as it is, as the thing they set out to accomplish... Don't be so afraid of the reviews of this beer, try it for yourself.

I NEVER thought I would actually give a fairly positive review of this stuff... But I'd certainly rather drink it than plain Budweiser.

2.83/5  rDev +38.7%

Allow me to start by saying that I have two friends who have enjoyed a variation of this for years. One used Straub and clamato and the other used Rolling Rock. I have had bloody beer before so this is not a real style shock for me.

I poured into a pint glass to a pinkish head. It looks like watered down tomato juice. It smells kind of like a bloody Mary. I did gently turn the cans a few times to mix the contents. The taste is as expected, mostly clamato. I prefer a generous addition of Tabasco. I enjoy it as an eye opener, but that's about it. It's an alternative to the blood Mary.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch