Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 278 | Reviews: 150
3.1/5  rDev +53.5%

Graciously donated at a recent bottle share in Portland. Was told by the lucky owner that he'd had this particular can for a couple of years.

What struck me the most about the serving format for this beer, is that it came in a 25 ounce can. I didn't find this beer to be nearly as horrendous as I was expecting, but even so, I can't imagine any circumstance where I'd want to drink 25 ounces of this stuff.

The beer pours a pinkish red color with no head and no lacing. Frankly, it looks (and for that matters tastes) like a somewhat watered down glass of V8 juice. So yeah, the beer looks pretty bizarre, but I guess that's no surprise.

On the nose, this wasn't really all that bad. Once again, the beer smells like tomatoe/V8 juice, with some noticable light clam juice, celery salt and maybe some lime. Again, obviously these aren't aromas I normally associate with beer, but it wasn't awful.

The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, and one thing I really liked about this beer, is that there was absolutely no sign of the base beer (not that I drink bud all that often, but there really wasn't much of an underlying beer flavor to this stuff). Otherwise, I got some V8, claim juice, more celery salt and even some light heat from what tasted like either chili peppers or horseradish. It really wasn't too bad. You can barely tell there's some alcohol in this beer, but it's pretty well disguised actually, and blends in quite well with the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, and the beer didn't seem to have much carbonation (not sure if that's on purpose, or if the two years in can had something to do with that). However, the finish is fairly smooth, and it wasn't too difficult to drink (though again, it's pretty hard to imagine drinking a whole lot of this).

The biggest criticism I would make of this stuff, is that it really doesn't taste like it has anything in common with beer. I'll take the manufacturers word for it that there is some bud in this stuff, but I sure didn't pick it up on nose or palate. Also, while I might not want to drink this stuff, I can think of a number of uses I could make of this stuff for cooking (would go great in chili or in a red pasta sauce I think).

Another example of why it's always good to keep an open mind when sampling something new or outside one's experience. I thought this would be flat out awful, but it really wasn't. Really enjoyed the opportunity to try this at long last.

3.09/5  rDev +53%

I like this version a lot better than Bud light

3.02/5  rDev +49.5%

After drinking so many good beers lately, I was forced to go slumming down the canned BMC section of Kroger's for an upcoming camping trip. Then I spied this repulsive sounding beer.

This beer has a sickly orange pink glow to it. Strange pink head that dissipates quickly. Quite a bit of tomato floaties.

Aroma is tomatoes, not much else.

This beer tastes like a decent Bloody Mary. Some peppery spices , a hint of lime , very salty.

Mouthfeel is about what I'd expect?? A little too carbonated.

I'll probably drink more of these, most likely in the morning. Maybe a little pricey considering the ingredients.

Never had this one either and also sampled last night on 8/18/14. This one came in a 25 ounce can for $2.39. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage "Budwesier' thumb print glass goblet that I bought for 59 cents about a mont ago at the local Salvation Army Store in 'like-new' condition.

Pours a pinkish-red in color with no head to speak of and no lacing to mention either. The aroma is would be expected and is of 'beer and tomato juice'. More going on with the taste as you can taste the lime and salt in the mix also. A little tangy on the tongue. Not as bad as i did except but not a great one either. It is different.

A - Hazy orange/pink like watered down tomato juice.

S - Mostly tomato. Some clams I guess.

T - Salty, a bit sweet. Fizzy tomato juice... A bit tart and a light, light bitterness in the aftertaste. Some tomato.

M - Fizzy and pop/seltzer like.

D - Not bad actually, if you like this sort of thing. Obviously not especially beery. Good choice to use something relatively flavourless to mix with the tomato maybe... I probably won't be able to finish this 24 ouncer though. Classic case of it is what it is.

2.99/5  rDev +48%

A - pinkish orange with a ton of carbonation bubbles and an extremely fizzy, short lived head

S - tomato soup, faint lime, grains

T - tomato soup, faint lime, a bit salty in the finish

M - very crisp, light to medium bodied

This is similar to what I had to say about the picante version just the other day. This definitely won't satisfy any beer purists, but I could see where this beer has a purpose. I can see it as a beer for anyone who enjoys a bloody mary or needs a little hair of the dog. Though this isn't a great beer by any means it definitely achieves its goals.

2.9/5  rDev +43.6%

Appearance: Rhubarb sauce colored liquid with a short-lived, fizzy pink head.

Smell: Hint of beer, tomatoes and a strange fishy smell.

Taste: Not totally bad. This would be good with breakfast. The beer flavors linger underneath the taste of vegetable juice. Slightly spicy finish with hints of lime.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Very chunky.

Drinkablity: I had to give it a try. Not too bad, but not a classic either.

2.84/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A Bloody Mary in beer form.
Not what I expected. There was a lot of apprehension before popping this one open, and I ended up with far less chagrin than anticipated. Bright pink and sludgy, not clear. Light pink, dirty-looking soapy head drops quickly as expected and leaves nothing behind. Aroma consists of tomato juice mostly, a distinct ocean-saltiness, and very faint fishiness, but not nearly the fish oil I expected.
Flavor is dominated by salty tomato, just a hint of seafood in the finish, and a good bit of salt... maybe some lime, like those tortilla with a "hint of lime" that are overwhelmed with the stuff. Some of the adjunct notes become evident as it warms.
Mouthfeel is sludgy, a light spiciness in the finish, low carbonation.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm sure I won't buy it again, but if you're craving a Bloody Mary, it's cheap and really not bad. For what they tried to do, I think they've accomplished it. Now, as rated against most other beers, it's subpar. But rated as it is, as the thing they set out to accomplish... Don't be so afraid of the reviews of this beer, try it for yourself.

I NEVER thought I would actually give a fairly positive review of this stuff... But I'd certainly rather drink it than plain Budweiser.

2.83/5  rDev +40.1%

Allow me to start by saying that I have two friends who have enjoyed a variation of this for years. One used Straub and clamato and the other used Rolling Rock. I have had bloody beer before so this is not a real style shock for me.

I poured into a pint glass to a pinkish head. It looks like watered down tomato juice. It smells kind of like a bloody Mary. I did gently turn the cans a few times to mix the contents. The taste is as expected, mostly clamato. I prefer a generous addition of Tabasco. I enjoy it as an eye opener, but that's about it. It's an alternative to the blood Mary.

2.72/5  rDev +34.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

24 oz can poured into an imperial pilsener glass

A- Pours a ruby red color with with a pinkish white head that dissipated almost immediately. Carbonation is very active.

S- Smells like tomato juice, salty, with a hint of lime citrus. Picking up a little bit on the corny Budweiser smell.

T- Taste just like a beer mixed with tomato juice. The tomato juice flavor is dominant, pretty salty, and beer flavor does not really stand out. Not really surprising because it is Budweiser.

M- The tomato gives it a medium bodied mouthfeel. Carbonation is crisp and I enjoyed it.

O- Hardly a beer in my opinion, but I did enjoy it. I have always liked red beers (beer with tomato juice) so I enjoyed this. It goes nicely with an olive garnish and is an excellent hangover cure.

2.7/5  rDev +33.7%

Something new and apparently ANOTHER beer made for the Latin market, Born on Date is 05 June. The beer says on the can "Budweiser & Clamato Con Sal Y Limon La Combination Perfecta" Translates as Bud with Clamato juice and salt and lemon the perfect combination.

Before I get to a serious review of this beer let me state that I have no expectations that this will in fact be anything good.

The can states that do not shake and slowly rotate the can in Spanish then in English.

In the glass this is a cloudy dark pink to cloudy red colored beer as in tomato juice red. Head doesn't form much at all, guess clams are a form preventative agent or is it the tomato juice?

The smell is very much muted. Smells vaguely like salsa but there simply isn't much scent here to detect at all. The scent of Budweiser is completely masked.

The taste begins salty with a big hit of celery and salt. This tastes EXACTLY like a Bloody Mary made from lager beer. Fairly salty I could almost call this salsa-flavored soda. It in no way tastes like beer but I also can not say that it tastes bad in anyway. The Clamato juice completely obliterates the taste of Budweiser, what little there was in the first place.

The mouthfeel is fairly thick, must be the Clamato juice!

Drinkability is probably about a one as a beer. As a beverage I have to admit that this is pretty tasty and if I HAD to guess this is pretty much intended as a Bloody Mary replacement for fighting off hangovers. I must say that if I had to choose to drink this or Budweiser I would pick this. There is also a version made from Bud Light, I will review that one tomorrow.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch