Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

rAvg: 2
Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)
MammothTarantula

North Dakota

02-16-2012 06:52:09 | More by Cramerican
CowsCanBark

1.15/5  rDev -42.5%

Poured from a 24 oz. can into Samuel Adams glass. Sorry, Samuel Adams, your product deserves better.

Appearance: Well, it pours nice. A nice ruby red grapefruit juice hue flows out of the can, but slightly more red. This is accompanied by a light pink two-finger head that immediately dissipates into complete nothingness. Very mild and sporatic spotting left on the glass from what I could choke down.

Smell: Beer and tomato juice

Taste: Well...this...this is just horrible. Extremely sweet and salty Budweiser mixed with sea water, marinara sauce, and clams. I could replicate this by going to the Jersey shore with a glass half-full of Budweiser, dunking it into the ocean, and dropping a clam into the glass to marinate. Add a mild hint of cilantro and lime, and this is what you have. I could see how people would like this (my girlfriend continues to sip on it), but it's just not for me.

Mouthfeel: Ugh, do I really need to taste this again to get a mouthfeel? Light body, moderate carbonation, would be an easy drinker if it wasn't for the taste, but I guess it works for what it is.

Overall: An atrocity of a beer that I can understand how others would enjoy it, but it's just not for me. Ugh, NEVER again.

02-12-2012 03:18:33 | More by CowsCanBark
andrewj17

3.25/5  rDev +62.5%

01-03-2012 21:34:54 | More by andrewj17
trxxpaxxs

1.02/5  rDev -49%

A: Pours a murky ruby red grapefruit juice like color with very little head that fades incredibly quickly. There is no foam on the beer after it settles and no lacing at all. It's a bit darker than the Bud-Light version.

S: Again, this beer smells terrible. It smells of tomato, salt, and pepper.

T: It tastes of mild tomato, lime, salt, and pepper. It also has a bit of a tart finish. I actually think it's worse than the Bud-Light version.

M: Light bodied beer. It's slimey, and there is a bit of an effervescent carbonation in the finish.

O: It's bad and it's really gross. It is definitely worse than the other version. The rest of the can is headed down the drain.

12-31-2011 20:34:19 | More by trxxpaxxs

Delaware

12-10-2011 16:48:08 | More by THECPJ
Vashtar

1.2/5  rDev -40%

I would say that this is the worst beer I've ever had... if I could even call it a beer. It tastes similar to V8 juice. It's a fiasco in a can. I can't even believe they are bottling this.

It's full of salt, too! The crappy taste lingers in your mouth, too. It's like roadkill.

12-05-2011 04:19:51 | More by Vashtar

11-14-2011 20:53:08 | More by UncleJimbo
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.53/5  rDev +76.5%

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada has a very thin, pink head, which almost instantly fizzes away and a cloudy, pinkish-red appearance with little chunks of something floating about. The aroma is of the Gulf of Mexico and V-8 Juice, with just a hint of lime. Taste is of tomato, clam broth, lime flavor, and some possible beer showing up as well. Mouthfeel is somewhat heavy, and this concoction finishes soupy and weird. Well, I guess this is pretty good, and I would like to have it if I were ever in the mood for Budweiser, tomato juice, lime flavor, and clam broth. I doubt that I will ever be in the mood for that, however. But, one never knows. Overall, it's interesting, if nothing else.

RJT

11-04-2011 23:36:38 | More by RonaldTheriot
AlCaponeJunior

1.53/5  rDev -23.5%

Super cloudy red with chunks of tomato. The head was super fizzy and disappeared almost immediately, leaving zero lace.

Smell is extremely heavily tomato, with heavy lime and a good portion of cardboard box.

Taste is super spicy, peppery with tons of clamato and a slightly sweet tomato paste finish.

Body is watery and poor, with almost an after-burn from the spices.

I've had the chelada light, and it's much better. However, they're both still bad, and bud regular chelada is a near drainpour unless you're out of money, too drunk to go to the store, or have no tastebuds.

10-04-2011 23:01:32 | More by AlCaponeJunior
Ralphs66

Every few times that I log on to BA, I always make a point to stop by and read some of the Chelada reviews. Some of them are so laugh out loud funny, that I have, on occasion, been brought to tears. Truth be told, after reading the negative ones, I've often asked myself if something can really be as bad as this. I mean, I'll try just about anything (beer or otherwise) and most things I find edible and more often than not, enjoyable. So, when I was in Peekskill Beverage earlier today, picking up a sampling of seasonal beers (and man, Peekskill has really upped their craft selection nicely), I spotted a 24 ouncer of Chelada peeking at me from the cooler. Why not?, I asked....and now the only question is WHY?!? I kid you not....I still gag when I think about what I put in my mouth over two hours ago. And it wasn't much, maybe 3-4 oz. The rest was a drainpour. This is the most vile, evil, putrid stuff that resides on God's green earth. I am fully aware that in some Latin countries, this mixture is often pleasing. However, AB's attempt to mass market this stuff is an absolute abomination. You've been warned...

10-02-2011 21:40:52 | More by Ralphs66
Emerson1310

4.1/5  rDev +105%

Being a seafood lover, why not try it inside a beer?

A: Watery tomato juice. A reddish, watery look. Head was about 1-finger and rapidly vanished. Sorry, lacing was absent!!

S: Not much!! The smell was rather weak as is their standard Bud. Vaguely Clamato and Bud-cabbage.

T: Spicy!! There is some fishiness due to the Clamato. Front of tongue is actually kinda sweet.

O: A good summer-cooler beer. But I make this myself and even better: Bud, tomato (NOT clam) juice, fresh lime juice and salt. Mine lacks the fishiness...Some of my beer-geek friends have adopted my "Chelada".

09-15-2011 21:03:47 | More by Emerson1310
kojevergas

1 pint 8 fl oz can acquired at a cheap Mexican cornerstore in Los Angeles and served into a hefeweissbier glass in me gaff. Reviewed live. Expectations could not be worse.

A: Three finger head of off-pink vomit colour (really, it's fucking uncanny), terrible retention, and no cream. Colour is a nontransparent hazy red. Horrible appearance all around.

Sm: Vomit and tomato puree, with perchance some light grapefruit. This is one of the worst aromas I've ever encountered. And it's moderately strong to boot.

T: Vomit and tomato. Perhaps putrefaction and vague meconium to boot. Really one of the foulest concoctions I've ever endeavored to swallow. Some light clam notes are present, which add to the mixture in a distinctly miserable way. Horribly, wretchedly built and balanced. Atrociously awful. What in Ireland we refer to as "utter shite". It's like they combined Hitler's bodily fluids (and I do mean ALL of them) with smegma. I imagine it would taste the same on the way up. Seriously disgusting.

Mf: Smooth and wet.

Dr: It's appalling this beer even has a market. Who buys this more than once? This is plain terrible. This is otherwordly in its wretchedness. There's a distinct vomit note, and I say that without hyperbole. It would actually be better if it were watery. Please for the love of God don't consume this filth. This is an insult to beer, even by AH Busch standards. Jaysus H Fooking Christ, lads. Don't even use this for cooking. Unfathomably foul.

If this isn't a 1 out of 5, what is? Where do we draw the line?

08-31-2011 05:51:35 | More by kojevergas
mdaschaf

Washington

1.48/5  rDev -26%

Shared with ShanePB a few weeks ago. Had side to side with Chelada light.

Going to stray from my usual review format for this one. This beer was extremely similar to the light version (see review), except that it was a bit more pungent. The aroma was a bit stronger and spicier, as was the flavor profile.

This beer tastes like over salted, watery tomato juice with pepper and horseradish thrown in. Does not resemble a beer at all.

08-04-2011 18:59:16 | More by mdaschaf
ZenAgnostic

4.75/5  rDev +137.5%

(re-reviewing/editing this about 4 months after the initial review) I have to admit this beer has become something of a guilty pleasure of mine, so I had to edit my review to reflect my change of heart.

24oz can poured into a Budweiser pint glass.

Appearance - Chicos taco's sauce. Watery looking tomato juice. Opaque with visible particulate matter. No head. Weird looking, but proper for the style.

Smell - No smell other than clamato.

Taste - Tastes more like clamato than beer. Has a nice bite. Tomato and sweetness with a slight undercurrent of Budweiser.

Mouthfeel - Clean with a crisp bite. Very refreshing.

Overall Drinkability - Actually really enjoyed this. First time I had it I thought it was pretty gross, maybe because I was drinking it sort of warm from the can. Chilled in a glass is pretty worthy. I've had it several times since the first time I reviewed this beer, and it is now my go-to beer for when I only have a gas station selection.

07-24-2011 05:33:02 | More by ZenAgnostic