Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

pDev: 53%
Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)

tectactoe, May 06, 2014

Pours a kind of vomit color you see when people throw up from drinking too much, but not on an empty stomach, you know, with bits of food coloring mixed with fizzy yellow beer hodgepodge of stuff. Totally offputting. Head instantly disappeared within 3 seconds of the pour. Aroma, even worse than the appearance, smelled worse than budweiser, and somehow worse than tomato juice. I hate tomato juice. Somehow they made it even worse here.

Jeez, the taste is even worse than the smell. Has all the pepper of a super hot bloody mary, a bunch of bitter lemon, and the usual beechwood aged stuff, while palatable, is far from it here. Just a mouthful of salt, lemon, tomato juice and budweiser. I think the only way you could make this any worse would be to add body parts or pickles to it. This beer is 100 times worse than budweiser, if you can even call it a beer. Take a blender, put some oysters, tomatoes, shitty beer and tap water from a sucky area with tons of chlorine, and I think you can make this concoction.

This beer is a hate crime. Its the worst beer I've ever had. I always see empties next to or around dirty diapers in public parks for whatever reason.

Beerandraiderfan, Aug 16, 2012

I guess in every beer drinkers path comes a time to thank Anheuser Busch for leading them away from mainstream beer and into fine craft ales and lagers versus the industrial brethren. Anyway thanks AB and how more appropriate could I do that than by dedicating my 1500th hundred beer review to you. I guess this beer is a portrayal of how mass marketers think, Mexican immigrants they drink shitty beer that they have to cover up with tomato juice and citrus and salt. Let's make it easy for one of our largest growing markets, plus we have to compete with Miller they are the biggest thing out right now with their Chill, I got it let's make a chelada style and go all out we're adding clamato juice plus those old timers who mix Bud with their tomato juice will go for it too. Let's charge 2.50 a can this is specialty beer for immigrant workers. Anyway that spiel is over appears a pink ruby red grapefruit like appearance with absolutely no head forming, wow. Aroma tomatoes and salt with seafood somewhere in the distance, incredible that this is really out there in stores it seems like somebody gave me a gag gift. This beer is like going golfing and somebody giving you an exploding golf ball, I'm that fuckin' shocked. Flavor is salty with minimal citrus and beer, finishes heavy with mild seafood shells or oyster & tomato juice. It crushes my palate burns my throat and really makes me thirsty for a water, hey let's drink more bud light. This beer tastes like acid reflux it's fuckin' horrible and not in a funny way. Mouthfeel is fizzy and viscous with Clamato juice. This does no justice for either two products Budweiser and Clamato have been shame poor Mott's Apple sauce they're the parent company of Clamato their stock is crashing as we speak. By the way if you have chapped lips or cold sores (herpes type I) stay the hell away from this beer, like putting salt in the wounds. Tonight I'm pairing Chelada with Wendy's Chili another brand to add to the corporate clash. Drinkability is shit across the board...by the way Wendy's chili doesn't make this beer any better or worse. The worst beer that's ever crossed the palate, thank you AB, Miller, and Coors for mindlessly competing with each other. Without big companies like you interested in teh bottom line and not taste, these small specialty breweries wouldn't be flourishing the way they are now. Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer kicks the shit out of this Chelada style beer. Tomme Arthur says Fuck Ebay and Big Tony says FUCK A-B!

Salute

Tony

WVbeergeek, Feb 22, 2008

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer has a hazy ruby red grapefruit color with a strong carbonation of large bubbles. The big fizzy head fades before I set the beer on the bar.

S- The bright smell of tomato juice has a hint of salsa spice to it. No smell of any grain or malt.

T- This beer has a big bland tomato juice flavor with some salsa notes and a burn of spicy salsa that hits the back of the throat. As the beer warms the spicy notes die out and it is mostly bland tomato with some tap water flavors. The tomato juice flavor lingers on the tongue long after each sip.

M- This beer has a big fizz that covers a lot of the flavor and enhances the tomato.

D- After the first sip I could hardly force myself to take another but I persevered. I made it through 3/4 of a class before I dumped it. I love the taste of fresh tomatoes and salsa but this was just awful. I didn't get any depth just canned tomato juice. There were no beer notes or clam notes. I wouldn't even cook with this beer.

rhoadsrage, Oct 07, 2007

LXIXME, Mar 10, 2014

dertyd, Jan 19, 2013

Every few times that I log on to BA, I always make a point to stop by and read some of the Chelada reviews. Some of them are so laugh out loud funny, that I have, on occasion, been brought to tears. Truth be told, after reading the negative ones, I've often asked myself if something can really be as bad as this. I mean, I'll try just about anything (beer or otherwise) and most things I find edible and more often than not, enjoyable. So, when I was in Peekskill Beverage earlier today, picking up a sampling of seasonal beers (and man, Peekskill has really upped their craft selection nicely), I spotted a 24 ouncer of Chelada peeking at me from the cooler. Why not?, I asked....and now the only question is WHY?!? I kid you not....I still gag when I think about what I put in my mouth over two hours ago. And it wasn't much, maybe 3-4 oz. The rest was a drainpour. This is the most vile, evil, putrid stuff that resides on God's green earth. I am fully aware that in some Latin countries, this mixture is often pleasing. However, AB's attempt to mass market this stuff is an absolute abomination. You've been warned...

Ralphs66, Oct 02, 2011

alright, I've had the bloody mary beer before, and they're not bad. Thought maybe this would be like that. I was wrong. It looks like someone vomited blood into a beer, and then it was packaged. A hint of clamato smell was expected, but I didn't expect it to smell like old rotten clams. I got nowhere near finishing this vile drink. I started to gag a few sips into it. Even typing this up almost made me throw up in my mouth. Homeless people would not drink this.

cubbyswans, Jul 21, 2008

4Socialanxiety, Apr 22, 2012

Got from Scoobydank as part of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly BIF - damn you!!! Poured from a 16oz can (no dating info) into a shaker glass. This did not deserve a pint and I'll have throw away the shaker now that it's been tainted with this evil. It was a watered down bloody mary color. It was very cloudy and had layers to it. Just looked disgusting. It had no head at all. Just some light fizz that almost instantly evaporated. No visible carb or lacing.

The aroma was horrendous. I HATE tomato juice and detest clams so this one is pure hell. The smell alone made me gag. My wife got a huge kick out of watching me smell and taste this thing. She wouldn't try it herself - smart. I could barely get around the smell but I had to taste it since the Ugly in the BIF. Absolutely awful. Did I mention that I HATE tomato juice and clams! Could only get 2 large sips down before I had to drain pour. This is by far, the worst "beer" I have ever tasted. May it rot in hell!!!!

TexIndy, Sep 09, 2008

Been wanting to try this one for a long time, glad I finally had the chance.

Appearance: Fizzy, hazy reddish-pink with no head retention.

Smell: Cilantro, parsley, tomatoes and faint seafood. Normally this would be appetizing to me, but this is beer we're talking about here, and it's cold. Kinda revolting.

Taste & mouthfeel: Salty tomato with a clammy kick. I can't really taste any actual beer flavors here, but Bud is pretty subtle stuff to begin with. Honestly, beer geekery aside, this is probably the worst beer I've ever tasted. It's every bit as bad as I was hoping it would be, possibly even moreso. My quest to find the worst beer ever made has come to an end. Now to grab a couple cans to cellar...

largadeer, Jul 23, 2008

Xzfgiimtsath, May 10, 2013

Drank from a 24 oz. can. Bought this thinking it would taste like a michelada.

I know the rest of the U.S. probably hasn't heard of micheladas, but they are really good in the morning and are best served w/ a mexican beer such as Sol or Pacifico. touch of tomato juice, lots of lime, few shakes of salt and plenty of hot sauce (Valentina is the best for this).

A-B's version of this is NOT anywhere close to a michelada.

This abomination smells like clam poo-poo, if bivalves do indeed take a dump. The taste is even worse...I cant even begin to describe how nasty this is. I nearly wretch just trying to take a sip. How can they sell this stuff?

Mouthfeel is like a can of bud light that a dog has taken a crap in and left outside in 100 degree weather for 2 weeks.

Please avoid this at all costs, I beg you. Would never buy again, in fact I wouldnt drink a whole one of these if someone gave me 10 dollars. Worst thing I have ever tasted, no doubt.

twiggamortis420, Jul 03, 2008

DamageCase76, Dec 14, 2013

FrostyWPG, Jun 26, 2013

DarthKostrizer, Apr 30, 2014

Beer_lover89, Jul 07, 2014

slowdaddy, Aug 10, 2012

24 oz can: Pours a weird looking cloudy orangish/amber color with a medium sized white head that diminishes into nothing. Aroma is bloody Mary mix and a little bit a grainy scent. Taste is salty, tomato, and a bit of a strange taste to it. Palate is tomato, salty, and rather strange for a beer to say the least. Overall, I kind of get the idea what Budweiser was going for. It just amazes me that they make this stuff rather than trying to make quality craft beer. Oh well...It's Budweiser. I'm sorry after trying to drink the rest of this can. Drain pour! Cheers!

demitriustown, Jun 19, 2008

Taz_Michael, Jul 23, 2013

bumchilly25, May 12, 2012

Beerasaurus, Oct 08, 2014

chrispoint, Jun 06, 2012

I'm sorry, I personally don't think this beer deserves an actual review. I know BA doesn't like beers being openly bashed but this is possibly the most foul tasting things I've ever put in my mouth. I don't know why I still see it at my local grocery store to this day. Sorry but this is unacceptable

Patrick2012, Sep 07, 2012