2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser & Clamato CheladaBudweiser & Clamato Chelada

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 219 | Reviews: 138 | Show All Ratings:
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

2.23/5  rDev +12.1%

24 fluid ounces of Budweiser & Clamato with salt and lime - the perfect combination, Budweiser beer with natural flavor and certified color (the label's words, not mine).
Picked this up while in the States, looked interesting, plus I like Caesars (vodka and Clamato).
Pours a murky, reddish color, with a bubbly pink head, that quickly turned into a floating scum. Smells like clamato juice, tomatoe. Taste has the saltiness and tomato juice flavor along with the sourish, grainy beer. Sticky mouthfeel.
I am having a hard time rating this one: What is inside is exactly what they claim on the package - beer and clamato, really no different than mixing your own red eye - so you get what you expect, just don't expect too much. It is a beer cocktail, not a unique beer. Tried it once, that was enough.

01-25-2009 18:34:01 | More by BigBry
splunge

Kansas

2.55/5  rDev +28.1%

This is an odd beer... if you would call it that, I dont think there is any way you are going to make heads or tails of the appearance
I was instantly reminded of the smell of beer and pizza vomit and it took a couple of gags to get the first few sips down, but as my palate broke down and figured out a lot of competing flavors, I found myself compelled to drink more. Kinda like sniffing at a dead skunk I guess. I would buy more, but only to make other people unwittingly suffer.

09-11-2007 02:39:43 | More by splunge
metter98

2.63/5  rDev +32.2%

A: The beer is rather hazy orange yellow in color and has a moderate to high amount visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that rapidly dissipated and left a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of tomato and clam juice are present in the nose.
T: The taste very much follows the smell and seems like a Clamato drink that's been watered down a bit with added carbonation and a slight amount of bitterness. Notes of salty clams linger through the finish.
M: It feels nearly medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I didn't have much in the way of expectations for this "beer" but it's definitely a lot better than the Bud Light version of the Clamato Chelada and surprisingly seems to work well with the Budweiser. The carbonation and light amount of bitterness seemed to make the Clamato a little easier to drink whereas the Clamato flavors kept the Budweiser from being bland. I doubt that I would purchase this again, but I wouldn't have a problem drinking all 24 ounces of this beer if I had to (the Bud Light version was a different story and mostly got poured down the drain).

11-08-2013 00:55:57 | More by metter98
flagmantho

Washington

2.65/5  rDev +33.2%

Poured from 16oz pounder into a pint glass.

Appearance: salmon pink hue with a little bit of a fizzy head when first poured which dissipated immediately. Not particularly attractive, but we're talking about clamato in Bud, here.

Smell: lightly tomato-ey V8-type aroma with a little bit of sweetness. The lime is also noticeable. For what it is, it could be a lot worse; still, it's not my favorite beer aroma, to say the least.

Taste: it tastes a bit like a very lightly sweetened bloody mary, but not as thick. I would not call this a good beer, but for what it is, you could do a lot worse.

Mouthfeel: light body with a light and uninteresting carbonation. Not great.

Overall: I can't say I will be recommending this as a beer anytime soon. However, if what you are looking for is a lightly alcoholic bloody mary in a can, I'm not sure I could recommend anything else. This beer may not be great, but it is exactly as advertised -- there are no surprises here whatsoever.

02-11-2013 19:10:22 | More by flagmantho
peabody

Kentucky

2.68/5  rDev +34.7%

Pours out a pinkish red that has just a touch of suds which dissapate quickly leaving a lacing of tomato around the rim of the glass.
Smell is clamato and celery without a hint of a lime.
Taste is tomato/clamato with other veggies like celery and potato. Can taste a little hot sauce.
Mouthfeel is not too bad. There is a little heat from the hot sauce.
This is a beer that I suppose you are to drink after a heavy drinking night to cure the hangoover but you are again drinking Bud so why not skip the tomato crap and head right for the budweiser!

02-08-2008 22:23:09 | More by peabody
mattster

2.7/5  rDev +35.7%

I was in the grocery buying some better beer, saw this and thought I would try it as to see how it was.

The color was a muddy red, like Clamato. The smell was overly Clamato as well.

Quite a heavy mouth feel due to the higher density of the beer.

Poured it into a standard pint glass. The taste was more Clamato than beer. This was the first time that I've had BUD that I didn't get sick about an hour after drinking it, but it still has that Bud lack of flavor that keeps me from buying the brand.

09-09-2007 12:02:32 | More by mattster
Zorro

2.75/5  rDev +38.2%

Something new and apparently ANOTHER beer made for the Latin market, Born on Date is 05 June. The beer says on the can "Budweiser & Clamato Con Sal Y Limon La Combination Perfecta" Translates as Bud with Clamato juice and salt and lemon the perfect combination.

Before I get to a serious review of this beer let me state that I have no expectations that this will in fact be anything good.

The can states that do not shake and slowly rotate the can in Spanish then in English.

In the glass this is a cloudy dark pink to cloudy red colored beer as in tomato juice red. Head doesn't form much at all, guess clams are a form preventative agent or is it the tomato juice?

The smell is very much muted. Smells vaguely like salsa but there simply isn't much scent here to detect at all. The scent of Budweiser is completely masked.

The taste begins salty with a big hit of celery and salt. This tastes EXACTLY like a Bloody Mary made from lager beer. Fairly salty I could almost call this salsa-flavored soda. It in no way tastes like beer but I also can not say that it tastes bad in anyway. The Clamato juice completely obliterates the taste of Budweiser, what little there was in the first place.

The mouthfeel is fairly thick, must be the Clamato juice!

Drinkability is probably about a one as a beer. As a beverage I have to admit that this is pretty tasty and if I HAD to guess this is pretty much intended as a Bloody Mary replacement for fighting off hangovers. I must say that if I had to choose to drink this or Budweiser I would pick this. There is also a version made from Bud Light, I will review that one tomorrow.

06-24-2007 03:55:06 | More by Zorro
MickeyBeer

2.75/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

24 oz can poured into an imperial pilsener glass

A- Pours a ruby red color with with a pinkish white head that dissipated almost immediately. Carbonation is very active.

S- Smells like tomato juice, salty, with a hint of lime citrus. Picking up a little bit on the corny Budweiser smell.

T- Taste just like a beer mixed with tomato juice. The tomato juice flavor is dominant, pretty salty, and beer flavor does not really stand out. Not really surprising because it is Budweiser.

M- The tomato gives it a medium bodied mouthfeel. Carbonation is crisp and I enjoyed it.

O- Hardly a beer in my opinion, but I did enjoy it. I have always liked red beers (beer with tomato juice) so I enjoyed this. It goes nicely with an olive garnish and is an excellent hangover cure.

02-01-2013 01:10:42 | More by MickeyBeer
buschbeer

2.85/5  rDev +43.2%

Allow me to start by saying that I have two friends who have enjoyed a variation of this for years. One used Straub and clamato and the other used Rolling Rock. I have had bloody beer before so this is not a real style shock for me.

I poured into a pint glass to a pinkish head. It looks like watered down tomato juice. It smells kind of like a bloody Mary. I did gently turn the cans a few times to mix the contents. The taste is as expected, mostly clamato. I prefer a generous addition of Tabasco. I enjoy it as an eye opener, but that's about it. It's an alternative to the blood Mary.

09-12-2009 15:39:47 | More by buschbeer
khiasmus

South Carolina

2.88/5  rDev +44.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A Bloody Mary in beer form.
Not what I expected. There was a lot of apprehension before popping this one open, and I ended up with far less chagrin than anticipated. Bright pink and sludgy, not clear. Light pink, dirty-looking soapy head drops quickly as expected and leaves nothing behind. Aroma consists of tomato juice mostly, a distinct ocean-saltiness, and very faint fishiness, but not nearly the fish oil I expected.
Flavor is dominated by salty tomato, just a hint of seafood in the finish, and a good bit of salt... maybe some lime, like those tortilla with a "hint of lime" that are overwhelmed with the stuff. Some of the adjunct notes become evident as it warms.
Mouthfeel is sludgy, a light spiciness in the finish, low carbonation.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm sure I won't buy it again, but if you're craving a Bloody Mary, it's cheap and really not bad. For what they tried to do, I think they've accomplished it. Now, as rated against most other beers, it's subpar. But rated as it is, as the thing they set out to accomplish... Don't be so afraid of the reviews of this beer, try it for yourself.

I NEVER thought I would actually give a fairly positive review of this stuff... But I'd certainly rather drink it than plain Budweiser.

01-16-2009 18:04:21 | More by khiasmus
SargeC

Japan

2.98/5  rDev +49.7%

Appearance: Rhubarb sauce colored liquid with a short-lived, fizzy pink head.

Smell: Hint of beer, tomatoes and a strange fishy smell.

Taste: Not totally bad. This would be good with breakfast. The beer flavors linger underneath the taste of vegetable juice. Slightly spicy finish with hints of lime.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Very chunky.

Drinkablity: I had to give it a try. Not too bad, but not a classic either.

03-21-2008 04:02:03 | More by SargeC
tdm168

2.99/5  rDev +50.3%

A - pinkish orange with a ton of carbonation bubbles and an extremely fizzy, short lived head

S - tomato soup, faint lime, grains

T - tomato soup, faint lime, a bit salty in the finish

M - very crisp, light to medium bodied

This is similar to what I had to say about the picante version just the other day. This definitely won't satisfy any beer purists, but I could see where this beer has a purpose. I can see it as a beer for anyone who enjoys a bloody mary or needs a little hair of the dog. Though this isn't a great beer by any means it definitely achieves its goals.

07-10-2013 12:20:08 | More by tdm168
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

A - Hazy orange/pink like watered down tomato juice.

S - Mostly tomato. Some clams I guess.

T - Salty, a bit sweet. Fizzy tomato juice... A bit tart and a light, light bitterness in the aftertaste. Some tomato.

M - Fizzy and pop/seltzer like.

D - Not bad actually, if you like this sort of thing. Obviously not especially beery. Good choice to use something relatively flavourless to mix with the tomato maybe... I probably won't be able to finish this 24 ouncer though. Classic case of it is what it is.

05-19-2008 05:30:19 | More by allergictomacros
shroompod

3.08/5  rDev +54.8%

After drinking so many good beers lately, I was forced to go slumming down the canned BMC section of Kroger's for an upcoming camping trip. Then I spied this repulsive sounding beer.

This beer has a sickly orange pink glow to it. Strange pink head that dissipates quickly. Quite a bit of tomato floaties.

Aroma is tomatoes, not much else.

This beer tastes like a decent Bloody Mary. Some peppery spices , a hint of lime , very salty.

Mouthfeel is about what I'd expect?? A little too carbonated.

I'll probably drink more of these, most likely in the morning. Maybe a little pricey considering the ingredients.

04-30-2008 17:11:18 | More by shroompod
scottblaze

3.1/5  rDev +55.8%

The first time I saw this it was like God Almighty....what kinda crap has Bud come up with now? I'll not elaborate much here because I don't know how to desribe it except that it tastes like Bud/Clamato/Lime/salt. That hot, throat parched day that I decided to try it, I actually liked it enough that I bought it 2 or 3 more times.

All I've gotta say, if you have ever liked red beer, is try it... you too may find it odly refreshing. It is, IMHO, much better than the crap Miller is trying pass off as a Chelada sytle.

Edit: I probably should have given this lower marks on smell and appearance (esp), it doesn't look that appetizing.

09-17-2007 13:54:58 | More by scottblaze
drpimento

Wisconsin

3.15/5  rDev +58.3%

It was way better than expected. Not quite a "red" beer. Color is similar to watermellon juice; kind of pink. Soda pop foam when poured with no head or lace. Very pronounced Clamato aroma - fishy and tomatoey.. Ditto with the flavor. Not that bad, though, really. Actually I like it much better than a shandy. Wonder how it'd be using a weiss beer as a base instead of macro lagar. The Clamato totally dominates the Bud. Got it at a quick mart in North Miami Beach. Has almost no beer character. As far as being a great beer, the can says "drink alone or as a mixer". Read into that as you wish.

10-20-2008 17:53:06 | More by drpimento
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

3.23/5  rDev +62.3%

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Chilled to approx 38 degrees (Warmed while drinking)
22oz Can purchased in Kansas (Full-strength)
(I actually love traditional 'hand-made' Cheladas. Let's see if this pre-packaged version can compare.)

This isn't starting off very well. Looks like any average BMC macro lager with a medium-shade pink tint to it. A 'real' Chelada looks alot more like tomato juice or something. This looks like pink grapefruit soda. The head was about thre-fingers tall, but receded quite rapidly. Lacing is practically non-existent.

The smell is much better, actually. A good dose of Clamato presence is here. (I love Clamato.) The lime and salt presence are somewhat light, but at least they are detected. Below that is the Alka-Seltzer/corniness of an average macro.

Sadly, I can tell that a decent Chelada just might be hiding in this can. Unfortunately, A-B seems to have covered it/destroyed it with a big dose of sugarey sweetness. Too much corn sweetner was added, I'd guess. The lager taste is offset by the wonderful tomato juice-like taste. Then the lime and salt come into play and everything starts working. Just as you are getting ready to enjoy it though, in comes an abnormal and un-needed sweetness to destroy it.
Damn.

It's a medium body and has a medium level of carbonation. It works okay, but is actually on the thin side of what it should be, traditionally.

Overall, I guess that I'll keep making my own. They taste much better. If I drank a couple of them everyday, this might work out, but I only drink them about a dozen times a year.

05-13-2011 00:06:49 | More by coldmeat23
mooseisloose

3.28/5  rDev +64.8%

I have had many "red" beers I have mixed myself so somebody elses mixture in a can is intrigueing. Poured into a schooner and the color is ...well...red. The smell is tomato and peppery spice. The mouthfeel is good. This red beer seems to have a higher viscosity than one mixed myself. Dare I say the sliminess is due to the clam juice. Taste is good beer followed by tomato and pepper. Spicy to taste but not too spicy. The lime kind of comes through in the end. This is a grreat idea. Not an everyday beer, but when you want or need a red brew its nice to pick one up that is ready to go.

10-27-2007 17:07:29 | More by mooseisloose
ScottieSharpe

3.3/5  rDev +65.8%

Seriously, you guys rating Chelada like its some kinda craft brew. Get over yourselves. It's friggin Budweiser and Clamato for Christ's sake!

First let's get a few things straight: Chelada is drunk only on swelteringly hot days. If you already took two showers today and you are just barely fending off the swamp ass, now THAT's a perfect day for a Chelada. I don't care if you drink it outta a frozen beer glass (good), an elegant champagne flute (better) or right out of the can (best, and good for mopping sweaty brow), it had damn well better be ice cold!

Here's the review: It tastes like Bud with Clamato. If you don't like those things, why on earth are you drinking Chelada? Go order yourself a burly man beer.

If you are lucky enough to live near an Hispanic community (Tip: No beer cocktail can beat into submission spicy authentic Mexican dishes like Chelada), your retailer may carry the Lime & Salt variety. Just consider yourself blessed.

Oh, one other thing. How many Cheladas should you have?

Martini lovers will know the answer: "There's nothing quite like your first sip of your second Martini."

Beer snobs can go smoke some hops. Anyone who loves food, drink and regional/ethnic delights, go find yourself a cold fridge and see if there's a Chelada in there!

06-17-2012 05:36:52 | More by ScottieSharpe
Nate57

Washington

3.3/5  rDev +65.8%

I tried this concoction after mowing my yard last weekend. Last time I was a fan of Bud was when I was a kid; so much for palate back in those days (zero). Anyway, my son has been bringing these home and, being a bloody mary fan, I decided to give one a try. Boy, I was pleasantly surprised! I found it to be quite refreshing and not nearly as bad as I've been hearing. I see by some of the reviews here that it's not thought of very highly, but come on! We're not talking about craft beer here, folks. For what it is, it not that bad at all. A bit steep at $3.40 a can, but I'll be having another.

05-19-2013 21:04:00 | More by Nate57
marc956

3.33/5  rDev +67.3%

I don't like regular Budweiser, especially not in a can, but I do like cheladas and micheladas, especially when with family in Mexico, honestly if I'm gonna make one though I'd use a beer that I do like and use either Clamato or something equivelant.

12-14-2008 23:26:48 | More by marc956
giblet

3.35/5  rDev +68.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

first off i get a real kick out of people saying "oh no it is reddish pink", "oh no it is tomato flavor or clam flavor", or "it is spicy or salty". must not have ever heard of tomato juice or clamato juice or had a bloody mary.

i did not shake before opening. i did the slow rotating of the can end for end 3-4 times in each direction. poured a light reddish with some head. smells like...well beer and bloody mary. taste and smell are what i expect. i love a good bloody mary and ceasar so this was fairly good to me. a bit of spice with some carbonation. most of the beer taste is backseat to the clamato, but i expected that. to me, drinkable on a hot humid day as a refresher...kinda like a bloody mary or ceasar.

who'd a thunk it?

giblet

08-09-2009 11:07:21 | More by giblet
emerge077

3.43/5  rDev +72.4%

As a seasoned Michelada drinker, this really was no big surprise. Try ordering one at a Mexican restaurant sometime. This wasn't really as godawful as I was expecting, though i've had far better at restaurants and mixed at home. Better ingredients (ie, Bohemia or Dos Equis Amber) make a better "beer cocktail" for sure. Rating as a "beer cocktail" and not so much as a beer.

Poured out into a 22 oz. mug, best served ice cold or over ice. The color was an electric pink, identical to Hawaiian punch. There was an angry mass of large, filmy, pond scum bubbles on the surface, and their movement reminded me of a mad colony of hornets or pulsating maggots from a nature show. A gritty film coats the rim of the glass, with chunky sediment floating in it. Fail.

Smells and tastes like seasoned tomato juice with a slight undercurrent of stale beer. Since I like tomato juice, this smells appetizing enough to me. It does not taste like spoiled fish, rotting clams, or any other bizarre lurid descriptor one could muster. The tomato/Clamato dominates, let's face it, it has more flavor than Bud. Tomatoes have acidity, perfectly natural. There is a tingling peppery taste in the back, like Maggi seasoning, and there's some savory saltiness. Thankfully the spicy tomato juice steamrolls the insipid beer. Unfortunately it has about as much carbonation as tomato juice too.

It's actually refreshing if you can get over mixing Clamato/V8 and a macro lager. This is the solution for all those crappy beers leftover from that party last weekend, just mix with Clamato or V8, lime, & Cholula and enjoy!

05-29-2009 01:09:30 | More by emerge077
mynie

Indiana

3.43/5  rDev +72.4%

This is the hardest, most confounding beer review I have ever undertaken to write.

First off, this is to my knowledge the only premixed Chelada that's sold in the US. So I got nothing against which to judge it.

Secondly, I've had other Cheladas, made by mixing beers that are better than Bud with either V-8 or Clamato. Bizarrely, they didn't taste nearly as good as this one does.

My only reference point, then, is to compare this to other premixed beer cocktails. Normally, all premixed cocktails suck. That's just a rule of thumb: if you got the choice between a premixed margarita and a blend of tequila, lime, and triple sec, always take the latter. This is the only--ONLY--premixed cocktail I've ever had, of any kind, that is actually better than its handmade counterpart. That's worth at least a 3.0, right?

But then again, if this really is nothing but Bud mixed with Clamato, that's pretty lazy, right? And then again, it's not really beery--though neither is Wisconsin Red.

So.. So I'm going to to have vote with my gut on this one, away from standards the approbation of the beergeek majority, and away from any popularly recognized standards of style. This was one of the most surprisingly enjoyable things I have ever drank. It's not beergeek friendly. It's not by the standards of this site something that should be lauded. But it was pretty damn good.

08-09-2010 21:30:22 | More by mynie
alkemy

3.48/5  rDev +74.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a "bloody beer" and I've had my share. You can smell and taste the lime in this, which I'm not a real fan of. Typically I'd rather take a Rolling Rock and mix it with some Clamato and Tabasco myself, but this serves a purpose. Has a little more "beer" taste than the light version of this. I like it just fine. Goes great the morning after being over served.

02-02-2010 15:49:27 | More by alkemy