2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser & Clamato CheladaBudweiser & Clamato Chelada

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 219 | Reviews: 138 | Show All Ratings:
Brez07

Maine

1.6/5  rDev -19.6%

Reviewed in the Blind Beer BIF. 24oz can poured into a MBC glass

A:  Dark peach/puke color with a head that is gone before I could even measure it.  Couldn't even get any back with a swirl. No lace (2)

S:  Oh dear god.  It's like a Bloody Mary with a can of tuna juice dropped in.  Or wait, spaghettios! Regardless, since this is beer, it's flat out awful (1)

T: Carbonated bloody Mary and/or liquid spaghettios.  To replacate this beer, put some spaghettios in a blender and add seltzer and BOOM... you have this beer.  Just repulsive (2)

M:  Ummm, uber thin with decent amount of carb (2)

D: Tuuuuribbble.  Would never buy this.  Shouldn't be considered beer. Only drank about 4oz before drainpouring. Offered to other people at my apartment and they also passed (1)

06-11-2011 02:28:57 | More by Brez07
vfgccp

1.88/5  rDev -5.5%

A –Pours the color of neon-ruby red grapefruit juice… complete with pulp. White head disappears almost instantly.

S – Salsa-like with tomato, pepper, and cilantro. Not a bad thing in and of itself, but to compare this in an honest light (i.e. for a beer that's supposed to have tomato juice in it), the tomato aroma is relatively flat, and more acid than fresh. Interestingly, the more I smell this the more I think the spice note could have actually saved the nose - if they really cranked it up with fresh horseradish or something it could have actually have been pretty interesting. Unfortunately the spice falls flat as well.

T – Salt and V-8 tomato juice, with a touch of black pepper. Honestly, the opening is palatable; it’s basically just a cheap bloody marry. The backend is horrid though, as a wave of sourness ushers in an ocean water finish.

M – Overly carbonated with medium body. It takes a moment before you realize that there are chunks of… something… throughout the drink. Clawing saltiness on the finish.

O – Parts of this aren’t as atrocious as I thought, but the downsides are crushing. If I had to describe this beer in a sentence, I’d say it was an aggressively carbonated, under flavored, and harshly overly salted, bloody marry.

06-06-2011 00:24:29 | More by vfgccp
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

3.23/5  rDev +62.3%

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Chilled to approx 38 degrees (Warmed while drinking)
22oz Can purchased in Kansas (Full-strength)
(I actually love traditional 'hand-made' Cheladas. Let's see if this pre-packaged version can compare.)

This isn't starting off very well. Looks like any average BMC macro lager with a medium-shade pink tint to it. A 'real' Chelada looks alot more like tomato juice or something. This looks like pink grapefruit soda. The head was about thre-fingers tall, but receded quite rapidly. Lacing is practically non-existent.

The smell is much better, actually. A good dose of Clamato presence is here. (I love Clamato.) The lime and salt presence are somewhat light, but at least they are detected. Below that is the Alka-Seltzer/corniness of an average macro.

Sadly, I can tell that a decent Chelada just might be hiding in this can. Unfortunately, A-B seems to have covered it/destroyed it with a big dose of sugarey sweetness. Too much corn sweetner was added, I'd guess. The lager taste is offset by the wonderful tomato juice-like taste. Then the lime and salt come into play and everything starts working. Just as you are getting ready to enjoy it though, in comes an abnormal and un-needed sweetness to destroy it.
Damn.

It's a medium body and has a medium level of carbonation. It works okay, but is actually on the thin side of what it should be, traditionally.

Overall, I guess that I'll keep making my own. They taste much better. If I drank a couple of them everyday, this might work out, but I only drink them about a dozen times a year.

05-13-2011 00:06:49 | More by coldmeat23
Lunch

Maryland

1.18/5  rDev -40.7%

drabmuh pulled this one out and slapped this motherfucker down on his bar like he meant business. If he were not such an intimidating man that grinned ominously at myself and Mr. Huhzubendah while he cracked this 24oz monster, I would have pulled a Jenny from Forest Gump and prayed to thine Lord to make me a bird so that I could fly far far away.

This review is going to be pretty straight forward. Humor me for a moment and imagine that you combined Budweiser, tomato juice and clam juice into a 24oz can and named it Budweiser Chelada. Now imagine that for some goddamn reason that the world's largest brewer actually did this. This my friends in my reality as I am about to sample this nectar.

Poured into....does this really matter? I actually feel bad for whatever glass in my collection that I used to sample this beverage. I will make it up to if you let me drink from you again.

Looks like someone splashed some marco-lager in some V8. Not the worst looking thing, but this looks more like a cocktail than a beer.

Smell is right on par with what you would imagine these 3 storied liquids in once vessel to smell like. Unlike Huhzubendah, I'm not the most cultured man of life, but I think of myself as somewhat open minded. Perhaps in some region of life this is an enjoyed beverage by a cluster of beer lovers gathered in someone home, but right now in Hyatsville, MD, this beer is not getting much love in the front bar of drabmuh's home.

Taste is unsettling at best as Budweiser is the most enjoyable portion of the flavor profile. The tomato is certainly there, but surprisingly it is doing nothing positive in this concoction. Now we get to the main event...what the people really want to know about...the clam juice. As startling as it may be, the addition of clam juice into this bitch is even more revolting than I could have even imagined. Just thinking about how old this juice is and where it could have possibly come from is making me wish that my parents would have been able to utilize one of the many technologically and medically advanced forms of birth control such as pulling out.

This is thick as fuck and a drinkable as the computer on which I type this beautiful prose.

Certainly a milestone, but one that should be enjoyed with extreme caution unless you are already a fan of this particular style of adult beverage.

04-12-2011 20:23:00 | More by Lunch
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

1.25/5  rDev -37.2%

I honestly have no interest whatsoever in tackling the bottom of the barrel list. However, some sick and twisted part of me suggested sharing this can with Matt and Paul after Matt said he was saving it for "Bad Beer Thursdays."

The color is a glowing red / orange, with a head that fades instantly, as if to say "I am getting the f*** out of here!"

Aroma: If tomato juice could write the short bus and misbehave the entire time, it would be Budweiser Chelada.

I feel like this so called beer would fare well on "Fear Factor". Perhaps this was brewed for the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay and served with every meal. There is absolutely no reason to drink this harsh, vile concoction of your own free will.

Mouthfeel = Ow! Please make it stop.

Overall: see mouthfeel.

Well, I can honestly say I've tried it. Never again.

04-07-2011 23:00:16 | More by Huhzubendah
drabmuh

Maryland

1.53/5  rDev -23.1%

Gross. This beer was kind of orange and hazy, reddish maybe, no head, big bubble carbonation, no head, no lacing, looked gross.

Aroma was salty, the way the ocean is salty, smelled like seaweed.

Beer is thin and salty with this seafood flavor that is nearly intolerable. The lime comes up later, undrinkable. One of the worse beers I've ever had.

Side bar: When I poured the remainder of the can out, it got darker, there were no instructions to shake the can before serving, I think the majority of tomato juice settled out.

04-06-2011 05:16:55 | More by drabmuh
perrymarcus

1.02/5  rDev -48.7%

haven't opened it yet. reminding myself to keep an open mind, to be objective; though i must admit i'm slightly apprehensive. clam + tomato + bud? good lord. i have developed a taste for V8 over the years; maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised.

tallboy served in a standard pint glass.

pours a cloudy pink grapefruit-like tone with a finger of whitish head. very low retention - almost instantly dissipates; no lacing. little things floating it in. that's not too encouraging.

nose (stench) offers budweiser, vegetable juice, salty low tide, decay, and unrealized dreams. maybe a few notes of the bubonic plague/ghastly mass murder in the background. truly unappetizing.

sweet Jesus. oh momma. the taste! it's hard to describe, this flavor. it's like... if you were to drink some V8, have a budweiser, chug down some sea water, eat clams, eat day-old roadkill, then vomit everything up and serve it in a pint glass. truly the most vile, replusive, nasty beverage - not merely beer, but BEVERAGE - i've ever had the misfortune to consume. can't speak to the finish as my gag relex kicked in, disallowing a sip; had to shove past my wife en route to the sink and violently expel the atrocity from my marred palate.

thin, unimpressive mouthfeel. drinkability couldn't be worse; seeing that i couldn't get any down. to me the premise here amounts to the Frankenstein of beer: good intentions, good parts coming together and going horribly, horribly wrong. strike that... clam juice is not a good part. ever.

02-14-2011 02:14:20 | More by perrymarcus
pwoody11

Delaware

1.5/5  rDev -24.6%

Budweiser=Terrible
Clam Juice= Terrible
Tomato Juice= Terrible

This can't end good. So what I gather from talking to a few people, this is similar to the bloody mary to cure a hangover thing. Unfortunately, I'll be drinking this as my first beer of the day in the early afternoon.

I refuse to taint my glasses with this mess, so I will be drinking this directly from the 24 oz can it comes in. Thus, the appearance will receive a 3 to be fair. I would do the same for the aroma, but as soon as I crack the can, the stench emitting from it is overpowering. I'll put it like this, after taking a sip, my wife refused to kiss me and told me to go brush my teeth first.

As I take my first sip, I remind myself to remain objective despite my prior assumptions of the beer. Didn't take long for the preconceived notion to come to fruition though. This is going to take awhile to get down.

All I'm getting is clamato. I ask myself maybe I was supposed to shake it. I examine the can and see "Ino Agite! Do not Shake. Rotate gently to mix" DOH!! Can't rotate it gently now so I pour it into one of those cheap plastic cup you get as souvenirs from places. There is all kinds of shit floating in this. Bits of tomato and clam? I just threw up in my mouth a little.

It also smells worse now. The can actually did it justice. Kept the aroma back and hid all the shit suspended in it.

Pouring it into the cup did let some of the Budweiser come through, but clamato still dominates. This shit sucks. I told myself I would finish it no matter what, but this is gonna be tough.

This beer is terrible. Ticker or not, I'd try to avoid this one if I were you.

01-05-2011 19:36:19 | More by pwoody11
jiggahertz

New Hampshire

1.63/5  rDev -18.1%

A: I'm not sure how this is supposed to look, night as red as I would have expected, more like a tinted amber.

S: Tomato not as prominent, more of the corny budweiser smell with some lime juice coming through.

T: Really bad, reminds me of a bloody mary but so salty its hard to drink. Lime is off-putting too. Just a lot of flavors all trying to compete.

M: Thin and bad, high carbonation.

D: Had a couple sips and poured it.

12-20-2010 00:16:42 | More by jiggahertz
BucBasil

South Carolina

1.55/5  rDev -22.1%

Just recently moved out to LA and this seems to be pretty popular out here, especially among the Hispanic population. A lot of my coworkers say that they drink this so I thought I'd give it a try. Surprisingly cheap.

Poured from the 24oz can into a large mug.

A: The beer is a pure cloudy red with a tannish 2.5 finger head with pretty poor retention. I've never seen anything like this before. Strange coloration, but is actually exactly what you would expect tomato juice poured into beer to look like.

S: You can smell this on more than a foot away from the glass. Classic Budweiser smell of grain and corn first, but then comes the lime juice and then a hint of salty briny seawater, and last an overly sweet and peppery tomato-y fruity character that is not only fake, but smells like something you would regurgitate at the end of a rough night.

T: Tomato isn't actually as huge as I thought but it's a definite presence. Much more corn and lime and grain. It's very sickeningly sweet. Almost syrupy. Awful.

I will never drink this again but I guess it was good for the experience. Wow, what an experiment. It would be ok maybe if you made one of these yourself with natural ingredients, but this was just plain bad.

11-14-2010 08:15:40 | More by BucBasil
TheKingofWichita

1.08/5  rDev -45.7%

I wonder who came up with the idea for this one. Bud is constantly putting out some odd stuff -- trying to push the envelope down people's throat.
This stuff is just plain odd. Pours a strange red color with fizz? Strange. Smells of tomatoes and some spices. Tastes of tomatoes and some burnt grain. Mouthfeel is thin and strangely chunky. Drinkability -- there isn't really any.

10-02-2010 18:16:56 | More by TheKingofWichita
TMoney2591

1.3/5  rDev -34.7%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Roman numeral X during Swill Tour 2010. I imagine a sinister robotic voice spouting the name of this beer every time I take a sip. It pours a cloudy, precipitate-filled fruit punch with a short-lived sudsy head. Mike: "There's a light one! Wasn't one enough, you masochistic fuck!?" Nope. The pain must be eternal, Hellraiser style. Pinhead is a decent substitute for a sinister robot. As it's taken down, a snail's slime trail is left on the glass. The nose comprises Tabasco, vomit, bad marinara sauce, and Ginger blood (I think it's the soullessness). The taste is definitely salty, with some horrible cocktail sauce leavings left over. There is no beer here, just like there is no glimmer of heaven's light in sight after drinking it. Lord. The body is kinda light, kinda heavy, with a light carbonation and a slimy feel. Kill me. AKA give me more of this.

09-27-2010 21:28:21 | More by TMoney2591
Vdubb86

1.13/5  rDev -43.2%

Served in a pint glass

#11 on the Swill Fest

Pours a pink hazy color...dear God help me! Smell is of tomato, pepper and asshole. There may be sugar there, but I don't care to smell it anymore. There is the salty seawater smell there, why dear god why?! The taste is of DEATH! It won't go away! This is a terrible terrible flavor. It is a horrid drink, I don't know why it was made and Satan himself wouldn't serve this in hell. It feels bad and drinks bad. No person should ever do this to themselves. EVER EVER EVER. Sweet Jesus this is awful! I am not drinking this!

09-26-2010 22:29:20 | More by Vdubb86
LuthersMug

1.5/5  rDev -24.6%

I'm glad I didn't pay for this one. My father-in-law had it in the fridge, so I thought I would give it a try. My initial thought is that your enjoyment of this beer will be more on whether you like tomato juice, rather than if you like beer.

A - Grapefruit red, actually rather pleasant on the eyes. Fizzy head that dissipates as quick as you pour. Zero lacing. Flaky bits of red float throughout.

S - Tomato dominates, obviously.

T - Sweet tomatoes, very strong at the beginning. Next, comes the salt and pepper. The beer ends with the smallest of small hint of beer. A very odd combination. Again if you like tomato juice (I can do without), this one might agree with you. Otherwise, leave it.

M - Blah

D - I drank half of my glass and was done. Why waste the calories.

08-28-2010 01:52:28 | More by LuthersMug
mikesgroove

South Carolina

1.13/5  rDev -43.2%

Again with these lagers with the fake fruit flavors, do they not realize that this simply does not work. Poured cold and into a pint glass, consumed on 08/16/2010.

What have I gotten myself into as tomato juice pours out of my glass? No head, nothing just thick, dark red looking tomato juice. Ok....Aroma is light peppery, lots of tomato, and just odd. This is not a beer, should be taken off the site completely. I do not know what it is, nor do I ever care to find out. I took one sip and tasted some light spices and a thick almost clam and tomato mix and poured it. I take back my statement I made about the blue, this is the worst thing I have ever tasted. I would not have this one again if you paid me, a lot.

08-18-2010 00:40:35 | More by mikesgroove
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

1.83/5  rDev -8%

12oz can, from a cross-border beer incursion a few weeks ago, and now into an American pint glass, ever so undeservingly, if I may exercise a bit of prejudgement here.

This 'beer' pours a hazy, chunky pale tomato/salmon colour, with some peppery (I assume) sediment, and two fingers of flimsy, weakly foamy, and soapy dirty white head, which disappears faster than you can say, "a drink for the saucy lady at the end of the bar". If you're looking for lace, you've come to the wrong place, I'm afraid - once the head is gone, this looks all too much like plain grapefruit extract, with a thin oily film around the glass - yum.

It smells of salty tomato juice, black pepper, and a faint seafood stench - very cold mall cafeteria soup-like. The taste starts out pretty much like a Bloody Mary or Caesar for me - salty seafood pasta sauce in liquid format - thick tomato juice, cheap fruits de mer, yer typical salt and pepper spice, and really nothing else - any beer characteristics (hah!) are duly subsumed by the heady Clamato additive.

The carbonation is damned-near non-existent, the body thick, rich, and heavy, yet in a wholly different beverage vector - not bad, just not the right one, y'know? It finishes off-dry, weirdly - sweetly vegetal and of course savoury like those questionable hangover cures of my early university days.

Jesus tap-dancing Christ, this is hardly a beer, despite any underlying, undetectable malt and hop attributes (who am I kidding, this is Bud, after all). As a decided non-fan of Caesars, or Bloody Marys, or whatever, all I can say is that this seems like an attempt to cross promote a different bar drink with their own headlining crappy pale lager. Or perhaps this is just some leftover gazpacho I mistakenly dumped into my glass, which would trip the switch in my brain for this from egregiously pandering, to actually palatable, but more for something resembling food, and not this marketing company cum brewery's idea of an actual beer.

08-15-2010 02:21:43 | More by biboergosum
mynie

Indiana

3.43/5  rDev +72.4%

This is the hardest, most confounding beer review I have ever undertaken to write.

First off, this is to my knowledge the only premixed Chelada that's sold in the US. So I got nothing against which to judge it.

Secondly, I've had other Cheladas, made by mixing beers that are better than Bud with either V-8 or Clamato. Bizarrely, they didn't taste nearly as good as this one does.

My only reference point, then, is to compare this to other premixed beer cocktails. Normally, all premixed cocktails suck. That's just a rule of thumb: if you got the choice between a premixed margarita and a blend of tequila, lime, and triple sec, always take the latter. This is the only--ONLY--premixed cocktail I've ever had, of any kind, that is actually better than its handmade counterpart. That's worth at least a 3.0, right?

But then again, if this really is nothing but Bud mixed with Clamato, that's pretty lazy, right? And then again, it's not really beery--though neither is Wisconsin Red.

So.. So I'm going to to have vote with my gut on this one, away from standards the approbation of the beergeek majority, and away from any popularly recognized standards of style. This was one of the most surprisingly enjoyable things I have ever drank. It's not beergeek friendly. It's not by the standards of this site something that should be lauded. But it was pretty damn good.

08-09-2010 21:30:22 | More by mynie
Treath

My friend bought and shared this with me straight from the can.

It looked reddish.
Smelled awful..kind of like V8 tomato drink and something else.
Taste was just plain nasty. Clam, tomato, and beer. I almost puked.
I think this the worst tasting beverage I have ever drank in my life.

07-09-2010 05:43:43 | More by Treath
gled10

3.85/5  rDev +93.5%

As another reviewer stated, the first one I drank, I didn't think so much of it. After a few of these the taste grew on me. I find they taste good now and very drinkable. I never had the combination of clamato and beer before and I actually don't care for Budweiser, but for me, the Chelada tastes ok.

06-12-2010 04:52:00 | More by gled10
tone77

1.4/5  rDev -29.6%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a cloudy rose color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mostly of tomato's and not so good. Taste is well, I'm finding it hard to find the words to describe it. Putrid comes to mind. Feels disgusting in the mouth. I would like to congradulate Anheuser-Busch for brewing my first ever drain pour.

05-24-2010 14:12:32 | More by tone77
hardy008

I had the Bud Light Chelada and found it to be horrid. Could Budweiser Chelada be as bad?

Has a pinkish orange color with a practically non-existent head. Reminds me of the color of the chum used in the movie "Jaws". Smells vile. Clam juice, tomato juice, and cooked rice? This is not a good combination.

The taste is nothing to write home about. With the clam juice, I can't help but to compare it to the chum used in "Jaws". True, I never tasted or smelled chum, but could this be much different? The worse part about this is the clam and tomato combination. Who thought that was a good idea? The cooked rice is all to familiar from regular Bud. This is a disaster.

Mouthfeel? Drinkability? Who is kidding who? Just stay away from this mess.

04-17-2010 18:17:41 | More by hardy008
Wetpaperbag

Washington

1.02/5  rDev -48.7%

A big screw AKBelgianBeast for this one. It was part of my losings for the LNBA FF. And I've had the light version of this and I'm hating Frank in the worst way at the moment.

A- This beer is staring this evil stare at me, and it is making me feel very uncomfortable. It appears to be Satan's tears. This pinkish reddish fluid is not looking good.

S- Dear God! If only you can see me gag. I hate clamato juice so this one is just making me ready to vomit as is. There is a hint of beer with this foul clam tomato juice concoction.

T- Shit, I don't want to drink this. Seriously I should just pour this out and save my tastebuds from the low tide flavor to come. I'm actually having to psych myself up to drink this. Ok, deep breath and here we go. Up yours Frank. Why?!? Why?!?! Why did the AB company decide to blend tomato sauce with hooker poon tang? Was this beer brewed with vaginal yeast, and was the donor on the rag? This beer is horrid, if I could rate this there would be a minus score here. I literally almost blew chunks.

M- I was so focused on not vomiting, yet trying to taste the beer that I didn't get much of a mouthfeel.

D- Hell no, the only way you would think this is tasty and drinkable is if you are missing many teeth, get offended by Jeff Foxworthy redneck jokes, or are just from Montana.

03-24-2010 03:31:24 | More by Wetpaperbag
dopehousex3

3.6/5  rDev +80.9%

These kind of beers are big with Hispanics, I'm a Mexican American and I grew up with Clamato and beer. So when I first tried the Chelada I thought their ok but after drinking acouple I really started to like them. In my opinion they are not that bad I guess you really have to like clams tomato and cheap beer lol. Just give the Chelada a chance you'll start to like it.

03-14-2010 05:23:37 | More by dopehousex3
alkemy

3.48/5  rDev +74.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a "bloody beer" and I've had my share. You can smell and taste the lime in this, which I'm not a real fan of. Typically I'd rather take a Rolling Rock and mix it with some Clamato and Tabasco myself, but this serves a purpose. Has a little more "beer" taste than the light version of this. I like it just fine. Goes great the morning after being over served.

02-02-2010 15:49:27 | More by alkemy
ffejherb

1.45/5  rDev -27.1%

24oz. can purchased at a Sheetz in VA on the first day of our annual Thanksgiving weekend beer trek. Thanks to Deuane for sharing... I guess!

A - Poured a hazy pinkish, watermelon-colored body with the quickest disappearing bubbly white head I've ever seen. Quite effervescent with huge bubbles of carbonation swimming to the top of the glass.

S - Hmmmm... smells like a clam bake with a hint of tomato juice and vomit. Seriously, the vomit aroma is reminiscent of a sour burp (aka puke burp).

T - Tastes like clam chowder with a tomato-based broth and salty meat. The clam flavor really lingers. I can't believe I'm saying this, but this could use more tomato flavor and less Bud flavor. There is virtually no hop bitterness, although it kind of reminds me when you swallow ocean water.

M - Thin, moderately carbonated body with a watery texture, but still kind of slick from the addition of the clamato juice. Mouthfeel is also a bit coarse from the salt.

D - Perhaps this beer would work well with a tomato-based soup or seafood, but I can't fathom why anyone would combine these ingredients. This beer answers the question: How can you make Bud taste even worse?

Brewslut's Quote of the Day:
"I've smelled vomit that smelled better than this."

12-08-2009 22:34:29 | More by ffejherb