1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser & Clamato CheladaBudweiser & Clamato Chelada

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 219 | Reviews: 138 | Show All Ratings:
blackie

1.68/5  rDev -15.6%

a: A soupy pour gives a fleeting, fizzy head. The beer is a sort of opaque pink-red in color. Plenty of fine pulp in there.

s: Tomato juice, a touch of clam bed seawater, a hint of peppery spice. Light Bud aroma.

m: nasty tomato juice thick, low-med carbonation

t: Occasionally I'll take a sip and think it's interesting, and that's about the best thing I can say about it. Just a hint of grainy macro flavor, with a slight oystery saltiness hidden behind the dominant tomato juice flavor.

d: It is what it is, I guess

purchased at some random, C-grade gas station in Fayetteville

01-07-2008 01:28:37 | More by blackie
SetarconeX

1.58/5  rDev -20.6%

Looks almost exactly like a glass of cranberry ginger ale. In retrospect, I much rather would have had a glass of that. Smells strongly of tomato juice, and slightly of clams, which is what I remember Clamato smelling like. Has a strange soda-like fizz to it as well.

Tastes a lot like someone was going to make a Bloody Mary, but couldn't find any vodka, so they used Budweiser instead. Then used way too much salt. Then decided to juice assorted sea creatures into the mix. The lime the can claims is in there seems strangely nonexistent. If it did exist, I'm not sure it would help.

I've never had the misfortune of drinking a glass of fish blood, but I expect this is what it tastes like.

This is not a beer. This is the worst Bloody Mary ever created. Avoid it like the plague.

12-21-2007 17:24:03 | More by SetarconeX
AlexJ

1.08/5  rDev -45.7%

Only sampled a very small glass at a neighbors on Thanksgiving. Red and cloudy, like tomato soup with Sprite and milk mixed in.

Aroma is like concentrated Long Island Sound. Brine and spice with a distinct dead sea creature nuance.

Flavor is so bad I can scarsely describe it. Pain. Fear. Agony. This is what cancer tastes like.

Body is akin to tomato soup mixed with Diet Sprite. Filthy and undrinkable. This tastes like a terrorist plot.

12-20-2007 23:34:06 | More by AlexJ
scottyshades

1.45/5  rDev -27.1%

So after reading a few reviews I decided to give this a try...big mistake

First of all, a tall boy will run you about $2.50
Secondly, the can says 'con sal y limon' aka with salt and lemon' which is complete bullshit
A: Looked exactly like tomato soup...honestly it looked better after I threw it into the intracoastal...even then, in brown ocean water mind you, it left a red trail

S: Salsa, tomato soup, salt...anything but beer in the nose

T: I kid you not, this beer literally tastes like tomato soup...if you are sick, pour out this can in a bowl, microwave it, and dip some saltines in it

MF: Very thick, slimy

D: Not a chance

Overall, this beer should not be called beer...the label and ingredients are completely misleading. I am now scared after drinking this beer resulting in a phobia of AB beers that are marketed as 'refreshing' or in spanish

12-02-2007 04:47:37 | More by scottyshades
harpus

Alabama

1.35/5  rDev -32.2%

A:The color is a dark pink that pours a think head that disappears pretty quick.

S:Smells of Tomato Juice and beer, with a little bit of spice or salsa

T:All I could taste was bad beer with alot of Tomato Juice. The Tomato taste lingers in the month and throat for really long time.

M:Fizzy with I swear a little tomato pulp in the mouthfeel.

D:I had a hard time just forcing my self to take the first sip. After the first sip, I could not force myself to take another sip. I had to pour the rest out, this was one of the worst beers that I have ever tried.

I saw this beer and had to try it becasue, it looked so bad. It was so bad that I had to buy a couple of can to take back for the friends to try.

11-07-2007 05:33:16 | More by harpus
mooseisloose

3.28/5  rDev +64.8%

I have had many "red" beers I have mixed myself so somebody elses mixture in a can is intrigueing. Poured into a schooner and the color is ...well...red. The smell is tomato and peppery spice. The mouthfeel is good. This red beer seems to have a higher viscosity than one mixed myself. Dare I say the sliminess is due to the clam juice. Taste is good beer followed by tomato and pepper. Spicy to taste but not too spicy. The lime kind of comes through in the end. This is a grreat idea. Not an everyday beer, but when you want or need a red brew its nice to pick one up that is ready to go.

10-27-2007 17:07:29 | More by mooseisloose
rhoadsrage

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer has a hazy ruby red grapefruit color with a strong carbonation of large bubbles. The big fizzy head fades before I set the beer on the bar.

S- The bright smell of tomato juice has a hint of salsa spice to it. No smell of any grain or malt.

T- This beer has a big bland tomato juice flavor with some salsa notes and a burn of spicy salsa that hits the back of the throat. As the beer warms the spicy notes die out and it is mostly bland tomato with some tap water flavors. The tomato juice flavor lingers on the tongue long after each sip.

M- This beer has a big fizz that covers a lot of the flavor and enhances the tomato.

D- After the first sip I could hardly force myself to take another but I persevered. I made it through 3/4 of a class before I dumped it. I love the taste of fresh tomatoes and salsa but this was just awful. I didn't get any depth just canned tomato juice. There were no beer notes or clam notes. I wouldn't even cook with this beer.

10-07-2007 01:56:12 | More by rhoadsrage
Guster

4.15/5  rDev +108.5%

I believe you have to like tomato-y things like V8 or bloody marys to really like this drink. It definitely has a beer-like flavor, but it is more like a cocktail to me. Just like a mild bloody mary made with macrobrew instead of vodka. I was really hot, thirsty, tired when I drank this and it was extremely tasty and refreshing; light-bodied, tang of tomato, a mild twinge of chili spice, traditional Bud taste, and a nice cut of acidity from the citrus added. It was quite restorative. Weird orangey-pink color though. And for those skeptical of "clamato" do not fear: there is not even a hint of anything fishy in here. Just tomato.

10-05-2007 15:42:45 | More by Guster
scottblaze

3.1/5  rDev +55.8%

The first time I saw this it was like God Almighty....what kinda crap has Bud come up with now? I'll not elaborate much here because I don't know how to desribe it except that it tastes like Bud/Clamato/Lime/salt. That hot, throat parched day that I decided to try it, I actually liked it enough that I bought it 2 or 3 more times.

All I've gotta say, if you have ever liked red beer, is try it... you too may find it odly refreshing. It is, IMHO, much better than the crap Miller is trying pass off as a Chelada sytle.

Edit: I probably should have given this lower marks on smell and appearance (esp), it doesn't look that appetizing.

09-17-2007 13:54:58 | More by scottblaze
splunge

Kansas

2.55/5  rDev +28.1%

This is an odd beer... if you would call it that, I dont think there is any way you are going to make heads or tails of the appearance
I was instantly reminded of the smell of beer and pizza vomit and it took a couple of gags to get the first few sips down, but as my palate broke down and figured out a lot of competing flavors, I found myself compelled to drink more. Kinda like sniffing at a dead skunk I guess. I would buy more, but only to make other people unwittingly suffer.

09-11-2007 02:39:43 | More by splunge
mattster

2.7/5  rDev +35.7%

I was in the grocery buying some better beer, saw this and thought I would try it as to see how it was.

The color was a muddy red, like Clamato. The smell was overly Clamato as well.

Quite a heavy mouth feel due to the higher density of the beer.

Poured it into a standard pint glass. The taste was more Clamato than beer. This was the first time that I've had BUD that I didn't get sick about an hour after drinking it, but it still has that Bud lack of flavor that keeps me from buying the brand.

09-09-2007 12:02:32 | More by mattster
timtim

District of Columbia

2.2/5  rDev +10.6%

pours an odd, murky, chunky, grapefruity color with a fizzy white head that goes away as quickly as it appears. Leaves no lace. Smells like low grade tomato juice, fake lime juice and stinky cheap seafood with a hint of cheap hopppy green apple bud type thing going on. Tastes the same with a little sweetness. Just like a bloody mary at a truck stop bar with beer instead of vodka. I've always called them texas bloody mary's. Funky mouthfeel, but I hate to say it... this one is like the bee gees to me... a guilty pleasure. after a night of overindulgence, this one could be an effective hair of the dog type thing. hungover, i would go for a chelada over a rochefort 10 anyday. btw... i poured this 24oz can into two glasses... the second was loaded with hot hot sauce... i now have a new go to hangover helper. i knew bud was good for something.

09-01-2007 23:41:54 | More by timtim
BeerBob

Nebraska

4.3/5  rDev +116.1%

Budweiser & Clamato “Chelada” pours a Clamato red from a 1 pint 8 fl. Oz. Brightly Lithographed Pop top Aluminum can. Head went to over two fingers, before disappearing completely.

Nose is a bit metallic, but not offensive, followed by whiffs of tomato and clam.

Palate is a smooth spicy tomatoes and clam juice, followed by the bight of carbonation.

A delicious blend of “Budweiser & Clamato”. For breakfast with a Western omelet, or lunch with hot dogs, and /or supper with just about anything!

I like this, I like this a lot!

08-26-2007 00:05:36 | More by BeerBob
bradford

Alright, curiosity finally got the best of me, and I had to try this, and then Zorro made me feel compelled to reiew it. I bought this at the local market for a thirst quencher at the beach.
It poured a lite red, pink color like grapefruit juice, but smelled like balls and feet.
I really like bloody mary's and I actually enjoy a Budweiser here and again. I feel that Bud actually has a taste as compared to MGD or Natty, but definitely not one of my favorites. The taste was pretty much what I expected. A Bloody Mary with beer instead of Vodka. Maybe if it were a better beer like a decent pilsner or good lager, this would have worked better. Mouthfeel was a bit thick, tomato-ey, and the Clamato is definitely prevelant. Drinkability sucks. It took me over an hour to finish a 24 oz can.
Overall, based on this review, this beer sucks to me. But I actually kind of enjoyed the experience. As a matter of fact I bought another can the next day, and am thinking about picking one up for the beach today. Oh, by the way, this stuff is flying off the shelves around here, so A-B sure has peaked the interest of consumers. Although I do live in Pismo and 5-Cities area which is predominately a Mexican community, so that may have something to do with it.
I say if you get the chance, pick up a can. Not something for everyone, or many for that matter, but it may be worth a try to some. May be your new guilty pleasure beer...

06-24-2007 18:06:43 | More by bradford
Zorro

2.75/5  rDev +38.2%

Something new and apparently ANOTHER beer made for the Latin market, Born on Date is 05 June. The beer says on the can "Budweiser & Clamato Con Sal Y Limon La Combination Perfecta" Translates as Bud with Clamato juice and salt and lemon the perfect combination.

Before I get to a serious review of this beer let me state that I have no expectations that this will in fact be anything good.

The can states that do not shake and slowly rotate the can in Spanish then in English.

In the glass this is a cloudy dark pink to cloudy red colored beer as in tomato juice red. Head doesn't form much at all, guess clams are a form preventative agent or is it the tomato juice?

The smell is very much muted. Smells vaguely like salsa but there simply isn't much scent here to detect at all. The scent of Budweiser is completely masked.

The taste begins salty with a big hit of celery and salt. This tastes EXACTLY like a Bloody Mary made from lager beer. Fairly salty I could almost call this salsa-flavored soda. It in no way tastes like beer but I also can not say that it tastes bad in anyway. The Clamato juice completely obliterates the taste of Budweiser, what little there was in the first place.

The mouthfeel is fairly thick, must be the Clamato juice!

Drinkability is probably about a one as a beer. As a beverage I have to admit that this is pretty tasty and if I HAD to guess this is pretty much intended as a Bloody Mary replacement for fighting off hangovers. I must say that if I had to choose to drink this or Budweiser I would pick this. There is also a version made from Bud Light, I will review that one tomorrow.

06-24-2007 03:55:06 | More by Zorro
rye726

Colorado

Saw this at the store and had to try it. Ended up being a good way to increase my appreciation for quality beer. A cloudy pinkish red with not much of a head. The nose and taste are of watered down tomato juice and stale grains. Thin body with too much carbonation. Terrible stuff.

05-08-2009 17:39:52 | More by rye726
popery

Horrible. Just horrible. It looks like ruby red grapefruit juice. Zero head. Murky liquid with frightening floaties lurking in the depths. The aroma is mostly rotting vegetable matter with a light smack of clam. The flavor is fairly putrid. I've never had clamato, but I do like V-8. This is gross. I'm not sure what else to say about it. Well, I will say that Bud Chelada doesn't exactly belong on the same scale as a normal beer. It's not really possible to judge the brewing quality because it is very difficult to taste the beer. What I can judge is that the combination of this beer, Clamato, lime and salt is horrible.

12-22-2008 04:20:28 | More by popery
colts9016

Idaho

Pour: Very Bubbly and carbonated
Nose: Yeast, malt, tomato and spice
Taste: Tomatoey with hints of malt and yeast. No balance to this beer.
Body Thin and the mouthfeel is sloppy
Finish: Very Bitter
Overall: Had better tomato beer than this. Awful, not tasty

12-11-2008 19:44:11 | More by colts9016