Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007

I guess in every beer drinkers path comes a time to thank Anheuser Busch for leading them away from mainstream beer and into fine craft ales and lagers versus the industrial brethren. Anyway thanks AB and how more appropriate could I do that than by dedicating my 1500th hundred beer review to you. I guess this beer is a portrayal of how mass marketers think, Mexican immigrants they drink shitty beer that they have to cover up with tomato juice and citrus and salt. Let's make it easy for one of our largest growing markets, plus we have to compete with Miller they are the biggest thing out right now with their Chill, I got it let's make a chelada style and go all out we're adding clamato juice plus those old timers who mix Bud with their tomato juice will go for it too. Let's charge 2.50 a can this is specialty beer for immigrant workers. Anyway that spiel is over appears a pink ruby red grapefruit like appearance with absolutely no head forming, wow. Aroma tomatoes and salt with seafood somewhere in the distance, incredible that this is really out there in stores it seems like somebody gave me a gag gift. This beer is like going golfing and somebody giving you an exploding golf ball, I'm that fuckin' shocked. Flavor is salty with minimal citrus and beer, finishes heavy with mild seafood shells or oyster & tomato juice. It crushes my palate burns my throat and really makes me thirsty for a water, hey let's drink more bud light. This beer tastes like acid reflux it's fuckin' horrible and not in a funny way. Mouthfeel is fizzy and viscous with Clamato juice. This does no justice for either two products Budweiser and Clamato have been shame poor Mott's Apple sauce they're the parent company of Clamato their stock is crashing as we speak. By the way if you have chapped lips or cold sores (herpes type I) stay the hell away from this beer, like putting salt in the wounds. Tonight I'm pairing Chelada with Wendy's Chili another brand to add to the corporate clash. Drinkability is shit across the board...by the way Wendy's chili doesn't make this beer any better or worse. The worst beer that's ever crossed the palate, thank you AB, Miller, and Coors for mindlessly competing with each other. Without big companies like you interested in teh bottom line and not taste, these small specialty breweries wouldn't be flourishing the way they are now. Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer kicks the shit out of this Chelada style beer. Tomme Arthur says Fuck Ebay and Big Tony says FUCK A-B!

Salute

Tony (2,522 characters)

1 pint 8 fl oz can acquired at a cheap Mexican cornerstore in Los Angeles and served into a hefeweissbier glass in me gaff. Reviewed live. Expectations could not be worse.

A: Three finger head of off-pink vomit colour (really, it's fucking uncanny), terrible retention, and no cream. Colour is a nontransparent hazy red. Horrible appearance all around.

Sm: Vomit and tomato puree, with perchance some light grapefruit. This is one of the worst aromas I've ever encountered. And it's moderately strong to boot.

T: Vomit and tomato. Perhaps putrefaction and vague meconium to boot. Really one of the foulest concoctions I've ever endeavored to swallow. Some light clam notes are present, which add to the mixture in a distinctly miserable way. Horribly, wretchedly built and balanced. Atrociously awful. What in Ireland we refer to as "utter shite". It's like they combined Hitler's bodily fluids (and I do mean ALL of them) with smegma. I imagine it would taste the same on the way up. Seriously disgusting.

Mf: Smooth and wet.

Dr: It's appalling this beer even has a market. Who buys this more than once? This is plain terrible. This is otherwordly in its wretchedness. There's a distinct vomit note, and I say that without hyperbole. It would actually be better if it were watery. Please for the love of God don't consume this filth. This is an insult to beer, even by AH Busch standards. Jaysus H Fooking Christ, lads. Don't even use this for cooking. Unfathomably foul.

If this isn't a 1 out of 5, what is? Where do we draw the line? (1,548 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -28.2%

Gross. This beer was kind of orange and hazy, reddish maybe, no head, big bubble carbonation, no head, no lacing, looked gross.

Aroma was salty, the way the ocean is salty, smelled like seaweed.

Beer is thin and salty with this seafood flavor that is nearly intolerable. The lime comes up later, undrinkable. One of the worse beers I've ever had.

Side bar: When I poured the remainder of the can out, it got darker, there were no instructions to shake the can before serving, I think the majority of tomato juice settled out. (528 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -16.2%

A: Pours a cloudy pale pinkish orange in color (not dissimilar to pink grapefruit juice) with some light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a quarter finger tall fizzy pinkish white head that quickly fades to a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of crushed tomatos, tomato juice, celery salt, and something very briny...maybe even fishy.

T: Moderate to strong flavors of watery tomatos, celery salt, salt/brine, and clam juice...there is no beer like flavor from the Budweiser that I can discern.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly slick.

O: This is not something that I will be running out to try again but I'm glad I finally found it as it was rather elusive... Semi-offensive in the smell and taste but I guess it is something that really appeals to different palates (possibly ethnic or diet based...). (944 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -31.5%

Shared with ShanePB a few weeks ago. Had side to side with Chelada light.

Going to stray from my usual review format for this one. This beer was extremely similar to the light version (see review), except that it was a bit more pungent. The aroma was a bit stronger and spicier, as was the flavor profile.

This beer tastes like over salted, watery tomato juice with pepper and horseradish thrown in. Does not resemble a beer at all. (435 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -39.8%

I honestly have no interest whatsoever in tackling the bottom of the barrel list. However, some sick and twisted part of me suggested sharing this can with Matt and Paul after Matt said he was saving it for "Bad Beer Thursdays."

The color is a glowing red / orange, with a head that fades instantly, as if to say "I am getting the f*** out of here!"

Aroma: If tomato juice could write the short bus and misbehave the entire time, it would be Budweiser Chelada.

I feel like this so called beer would fare well on "Fear Factor". Perhaps this was brewed for the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay and served with every meal. There is absolutely no reason to drink this harsh, vile concoction of your own free will.

Mouthfeel = Ow! Please make it stop.

Overall: see mouthfeel.

Well, I can honestly say I've tried it. Never again. (824 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -20.4%

I saw this little number in the cooler at one of my locals lat night and since I was half (or more) in the bag following Groundhog Day, it seemed like just the thing to buy. Now, in the harsh light of day, my buyer's remorse rivals that feeling of Coyote Ugly that I have also experienced many times over the years.

What is this I see before me? It looked like Pink Grapefruit juice, a favorite of mine. Absolutely no head. Flat as a board. But pretty. Very pink, cloudy, like I said, grapefruit juice. Nose was salty, like the breeze blowing in off the Atlantic, underlain with a tomato-like tang. Frankly, Mr. Shankly, my mouth actually began to water. Now for the moment of truth - an actual mouthfull of it. Wow! The mouthfeel was watery thin. The admixture of salt, clam juice, tomato, and beer was just foul. Whew. It reminded me of the fantail on days when we could not dump trash and garbage and the sharks would troll behind us, hoping that we would chum the waters for them, having built up a smell that would fall a redwood. The finish left a taste that can only be described as decomposing flesh. Putrid. Run, don't walk, to the nearest sink and make this a drain pour. OMFG, 24 oz! My drain is now sick. (1,217 characters)

2.99/5  rDev +38.4%

A - pinkish orange with a ton of carbonation bubbles and an extremely fizzy, short lived head

S - tomato soup, faint lime, grains

T - tomato soup, faint lime, a bit salty in the finish

M - very crisp, light to medium bodied

This is similar to what I had to say about the picante version just the other day. This definitely won't satisfy any beer purists, but I could see where this beer has a purpose. I can see it as a beer for anyone who enjoys a bloody mary or needs a little hair of the dog. Though this isn't a great beer by any means it definitely achieves its goals. (577 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass. Done as part of the cocktail and beer experiment.

It is mentioned to gently rotate this said proud vessel but not SHAKE as to give it a little mix, so I did. Regardless I don't think it made a difference in improving my experience.

Chelada pours a disgusting wet and murky orange toilet sewer color. The head is pinky and stupidly soapy and disappears instantly and leaves nothing in it's place. There's lacing alright, there is vegetative legs and stuck flecks that appear either red, black, or just brown. This looks like it belongs in a toilet.

Bouquet. No Roses have a bouquet this has a smell. Amazingly based on everything I've read about this, this was not what I was expecting. This wasn't salty, or briney, but it was vegetative smelling, but did not smell of seaweed, ocean, clams or even tomatoes. IT smelled EXACTLY like boiled celery. Extremely vegetative but I suppose that's expected, but this doesn't smell even like beer. It smells like a spritzy v8 with a million stalks of celery jammed in it. I was thinking of a good thick Caesar but this smells really thin.

Taste.. oh boy look out. Wet, then tomato like with some salty brine, but a giant vegetative blast of celery. That's about it, it's a V8, seriously a VERY watered down V8. Slightly carbonated with a little fizz but not much, extremely flattened out beer as if a steamroller went over it. I can't even comment about what "beer" is suppose to be in this thing.

Overall pretty much awful, even a bad example of a mixed drink. You'd be better off buying cheap beer and mixing it with something else, if that's your thing. (1,647 characters)

2.7/5  rDev +25%

Something new and apparently ANOTHER beer made for the Latin market, Born on Date is 05 June. The beer says on the can "Budweiser & Clamato Con Sal Y Limon La Combination Perfecta" Translates as Bud with Clamato juice and salt and lemon the perfect combination.

Before I get to a serious review of this beer let me state that I have no expectations that this will in fact be anything good.

The can states that do not shake and slowly rotate the can in Spanish then in English.

In the glass this is a cloudy dark pink to cloudy red colored beer as in tomato juice red. Head doesn't form much at all, guess clams are a form preventative agent or is it the tomato juice?

The smell is very much muted. Smells vaguely like salsa but there simply isn't much scent here to detect at all. The scent of Budweiser is completely masked.

The taste begins salty with a big hit of celery and salt. This tastes EXACTLY like a Bloody Mary made from lager beer. Fairly salty I could almost call this salsa-flavored soda. It in no way tastes like beer but I also can not say that it tastes bad in anyway. The Clamato juice completely obliterates the taste of Budweiser, what little there was in the first place.

The mouthfeel is fairly thick, must be the Clamato juice!

Drinkability is probably about a one as a beer. As a beverage I have to admit that this is pretty tasty and if I HAD to guess this is pretty much intended as a Bloody Mary replacement for fighting off hangovers. I must say that if I had to choose to drink this or Budweiser I would pick this. There is also a version made from Bud Light, I will review that one tomorrow. (1,629 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +43.5%

Graciously donated at a recent bottle share in Portland. Was told by the lucky owner that he'd had this particular can for a couple of years.

What struck me the most about the serving format for this beer, is that it came in a 25 ounce can. I didn't find this beer to be nearly as horrendous as I was expecting, but even so, I can't imagine any circumstance where I'd want to drink 25 ounces of this stuff.

The beer pours a pinkish red color with no head and no lacing. Frankly, it looks (and for that matters tastes) like a somewhat watered down glass of V8 juice. So yeah, the beer looks pretty bizarre, but I guess that's no surprise.

On the nose, this wasn't really all that bad. Once again, the beer smells like tomatoe/V8 juice, with some noticable light clam juice, celery salt and maybe some lime. Again, obviously these aren't aromas I normally associate with beer, but it wasn't awful.

The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, and one thing I really liked about this beer, is that there was absolutely no sign of the base beer (not that I drink bud all that often, but there really wasn't much of an underlying beer flavor to this stuff). Otherwise, I got some V8, claim juice, more celery salt and even some light heat from what tasted like either chili peppers or horseradish. It really wasn't too bad. You can barely tell there's some alcohol in this beer, but it's pretty well disguised actually, and blends in quite well with the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, and the beer didn't seem to have much carbonation (not sure if that's on purpose, or if the two years in can had something to do with that). However, the finish is fairly smooth, and it wasn't too difficult to drink (though again, it's pretty hard to imagine drinking a whole lot of this).

The biggest criticism I would make of this stuff, is that it really doesn't taste like it has anything in common with beer. I'll take the manufacturers word for it that there is some bud in this stuff, but I sure didn't pick it up on nose or palate. Also, while I might not want to drink this stuff, I can think of a number of uses I could make of this stuff for cooking (would go great in chili or in a red pasta sauce I think).

Another example of why it's always good to keep an open mind when sampling something new or outside one's experience. I thought this would be flat out awful, but it really wasn't. Really enjoyed the opportunity to try this at long last. (2,466 characters)

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer has a hazy ruby red grapefruit color with a strong carbonation of large bubbles. The big fizzy head fades before I set the beer on the bar.

S- The bright smell of tomato juice has a hint of salsa spice to it. No smell of any grain or malt.

T- This beer has a big bland tomato juice flavor with some salsa notes and a burn of spicy salsa that hits the back of the throat. As the beer warms the spicy notes die out and it is mostly bland tomato with some tap water flavors. The tomato juice flavor lingers on the tongue long after each sip.

M- This beer has a big fizz that covers a lot of the flavor and enhances the tomato.

D- After the first sip I could hardly force myself to take another but I persevered. I made it through 3/4 of a class before I dumped it. I love the taste of fresh tomatoes and salsa but this was just awful. I didn't get any depth just canned tomato juice. There were no beer notes or clam notes. I wouldn't even cook with this beer. (1,000 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -12.5%

A –Pours the color of neon-ruby red grapefruit juice… complete with pulp. White head disappears almost instantly.

S – Salsa-like with tomato, pepper, and cilantro. Not a bad thing in and of itself, but to compare this in an honest light (i.e. for a beer that's supposed to have tomato juice in it), the tomato aroma is relatively flat, and more acid than fresh. Interestingly, the more I smell this the more I think the spice note could have actually saved the nose - if they really cranked it up with fresh horseradish or something it could have actually have been pretty interesting. Unfortunately the spice falls flat as well.

T – Salt and V-8 tomato juice, with a touch of black pepper. Honestly, the opening is palatable; it’s basically just a cheap bloody marry. The backend is horrid though, as a wave of sourness ushers in an ocean water finish.

M – Overly carbonated with medium body. It takes a moment before you realize that there are chunks of… something… throughout the drink. Clawing saltiness on the finish.

O – Parts of this aren’t as atrocious as I thought, but the downsides are crushing. If I had to describe this beer in a sentence, I’d say it was an aggressively carbonated, under flavored, and harshly overly salted, bloody marry. (1,278 characters)

2.6/5  rDev +20.4%

Poured from 16oz pounder into a pint glass.

Appearance: salmon pink hue with a little bit of a fizzy head when first poured which dissipated immediately. Not particularly attractive, but we're talking about clamato in Bud, here.

Smell: lightly tomato-ey V8-type aroma with a little bit of sweetness. The lime is also noticeable. For what it is, it could be a lot worse; still, it's not my favorite beer aroma, to say the least.

Taste: it tastes a bit like a very lightly sweetened bloody mary, but not as thick. I would not call this a good beer, but for what it is, you could do a lot worse.

Mouthfeel: light body with a light and uninteresting carbonation. Not great.

Overall: I can't say I will be recommending this as a beer anytime soon. However, if what you are looking for is a lightly alcoholic bloody mary in a can, I'm not sure I could recommend anything else. This beer may not be great, but it is exactly as advertised -- there are no surprises here whatsoever. (980 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -35.2%

A:The color is a dark pink that pours a think head that disappears pretty quick.

S:Smells of Tomato Juice and beer, with a little bit of spice or salsa

T:All I could taste was bad beer with alot of Tomato Juice. The Tomato taste lingers in the month and throat for really long time.

M:Fizzy with I swear a little tomato pulp in the mouthfeel.

D:I had a hard time just forcing my self to take the first sip. After the first sip, I could not force myself to take another sip. I had to pour the rest out, this was one of the worst beers that I have ever tried.

I saw this beer and had to try it becasue, it looked so bad. It was so bad that I had to buy a couple of can to take back for the friends to try. (708 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -31.5%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a cloudy rose color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mostly of tomato's and not so good. Taste is well, I'm finding it hard to find the words to describe it. Putrid comes to mind. Feels disgusting in the mouth. I would like to congradulate Anheuser-Busch for brewing my first ever drain pour. (320 characters)

Pours a kind of vomit color you see when people throw up from drinking too much, but not on an empty stomach, you know, with bits of food coloring mixed with fizzy yellow beer hodgepodge of stuff. Totally offputting. Head instantly disappeared within 3 seconds of the pour. Aroma, even worse than the appearance, smelled worse than budweiser, and somehow worse than tomato juice. I hate tomato juice. Somehow they made it even worse here.

Jeez, the taste is even worse than the smell. Has all the pepper of a super hot bloody mary, a bunch of bitter lemon, and the usual beechwood aged stuff, while palatable, is far from it here. Just a mouthful of salt, lemon, tomato juice and budweiser. I think the only way you could make this any worse would be to add body parts or pickles to it. This beer is 100 times worse than budweiser, if you can even call it a beer. Take a blender, put some oysters, tomatoes, shitty beer and tap water from a sucky area with tons of chlorine, and I think you can make this concoction.

This beer is a hate crime. Its the worst beer I've ever had. I always see empties next to or around dirty diapers in public parks for whatever reason. (1,171 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -48.1%

Pours a medium-red color that resembles that of a tomato. One-finger head fades into almost nothing.

Aroma is full of tomato, salt and typical adjunct lager flavors. Pretty much expected.

Taste is full of tomato, salt and adjuncts. Very odd, interesting flavor. Not a fan of tomato and that's what I'm getting from this.

Mouthfeel is full of remaining salt and tomato. Hardly anything of the actual beer in this.

Yuck. Absolutely horrible idea, period. At least I tried it but I don't think I can stomach any more of this vile beverage. (542 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -52.3%

Ever since i heard of this, I just had to try it. I don't know, I'm a sucker for pain. Plus, I had an absolutely devastating meal at Roy Rogers and instead of having to run to the loo on separate occasions, I figured I'd combine the two. 16oz can into my 12oz snifter.

A: Pink grapefruit pour with a massive white head that recedes almost as fast as the head on a soda. There's shit floating around in the beer and this looks ominous. Swirling this leaves a bunch of vegetative sediment on the side of the glass

S: Someone threw an unripened tomato, a cucumber, some salt and pepper into a blender. Maybe if i take a deep breath, I could get some corn from the bud but heck, i'd be comatose by then. Positively revolting and I'm not exaggerating.

T: Sweet corn, tomato, salt, cucumber, onion. Fuck it, give me a V8 instead. This is *horrendous*, beats the Michelob Ultra Pomegranate Raspberry hands down

M: I'd tell you if i swished it around but I couldn't bring myself to.

D: Why would you do this? I mean why?

Notes: I'm going to contradict myself and say that you need to try this. Just make sure that as you pour this down the drain, you only have cold water running - any hot water causes the release of volatiles and nausea on inhalation. (1,251 characters)

Drank from a 24 oz. can. Bought this thinking it would taste like a michelada.

I know the rest of the U.S. probably hasn't heard of micheladas, but they are really good in the morning and are best served w/ a mexican beer such as Sol or Pacifico. touch of tomato juice, lots of lime, few shakes of salt and plenty of hot sauce (Valentina is the best for this).

A-B's version of this is NOT anywhere close to a michelada.

This abomination smells like clam poo-poo, if bivalves do indeed take a dump. The taste is even worse...I cant even begin to describe how nasty this is. I nearly wretch just trying to take a sip. How can they sell this stuff?

Mouthfeel is like a can of bud light that a dog has taken a crap in and left outside in 100 degree weather for 2 weeks.

Please avoid this at all costs, I beg you. Would never buy again, in fact I wouldnt drink a whole one of these if someone gave me 10 dollars. Worst thing I have ever tasted, no doubt. (957 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +45.4%

It was way better than expected. Not quite a "red" beer. Color is similar to watermellon juice; kind of pink. Soda pop foam when poured with no head or lace. Very pronounced Clamato aroma - fishy and tomatoey.. Ditto with the flavor. Not that bad, though, really. Actually I like it much better than a shandy. Wonder how it'd be using a weiss beer as a base instead of macro lagar. The Clamato totally dominates the Bud. Got it at a quick mart in North Miami Beach. Has almost no beer character. As far as being a great beer, the can says "drink alone or as a mixer". Read into that as you wish. (595 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +58.3%

This is the hardest, most confounding beer review I have ever undertaken to write.

First off, this is to my knowledge the only premixed Chelada that's sold in the US. So I got nothing against which to judge it.

Secondly, I've had other Cheladas, made by mixing beers that are better than Bud with either V-8 or Clamato. Bizarrely, they didn't taste nearly as good as this one does.

My only reference point, then, is to compare this to other premixed beer cocktails. Normally, all premixed cocktails suck. That's just a rule of thumb: if you got the choice between a premixed margarita and a blend of tequila, lime, and triple sec, always take the latter. This is the only--ONLY--premixed cocktail I've ever had, of any kind, that is actually better than its handmade counterpart. That's worth at least a 3.0, right?

But then again, if this really is nothing but Bud mixed with Clamato, that's pretty lazy, right? And then again, it's not really beery--though neither is Wisconsin Red.

So.. So I'm going to to have vote with my gut on this one, away from standards the approbation of the beergeek majority, and away from any popularly recognized standards of style. This was one of the most surprisingly enjoyable things I have ever drank. It's not beergeek friendly. It's not by the standards of this site something that should be lauded. But it was pretty damn good. (1,375 characters)

Horrible. Just horrible. It looks like ruby red grapefruit juice. Zero head. Murky liquid with frightening floaties lurking in the depths. The aroma is mostly rotting vegetable matter with a light smack of clam. The flavor is fairly putrid. I've never had clamato, but I do like V-8. This is gross. I'm not sure what else to say about it. Well, I will say that Bud Chelada doesn't exactly belong on the same scale as a normal beer. It's not really possible to judge the brewing quality because it is very difficult to taste the beer. What I can judge is that the combination of this beer, Clamato, lime and salt is horrible. (624 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -20.8%

a: A soupy pour gives a fleeting, fizzy head. The beer is a sort of opaque pink-red in color. Plenty of fine pulp in there.

s: Tomato juice, a touch of clam bed seawater, a hint of peppery spice. Light Bud aroma.

m: nasty tomato juice thick, low-med carbonation

t: Occasionally I'll take a sip and think it's interesting, and that's about the best thing I can say about it. Just a hint of grainy macro flavor, with a slight oystery saltiness hidden behind the dominant tomato juice flavor.

d: It is what it is, I guess

purchased at some random, C-grade gas station in Fayetteville (585 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -50.9%

Appearance. Pours a lightly rusty tomato-juice red with a little gold.

Smell. Canned tomato juice, celery, a little bit of beer smell that's reminicent of the drips that you get on your hand when you're collecting those beer cans from a party the night before.

Taste. Clamato juice with extra celery, lime juice, and sweet, terrible bmc lager.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with a soft grainy texture, somewhat sticky, and light + carbonation.

Overall. Truly putrid. I hate to be this negative in a review, and rarely am, but this stuff is vile. I thought I could handle this, being a Caesar fan on occasion, but a few sips of this tall boy was enough. I would advise to never buy this beer, even out of curiosity as was the case for me. A rating of 1 seems very generous here. (775 characters)

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch