Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

pDev: 53%
Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)
1.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours out a pinkish tomato with a fizzy head like soda.

Smell. Tomato- salty, some spices, a little seafood.

Taste. tastes like very light tomato juice that is carbonated. Not as strong as the smell, but spices are still present.

Mouthfeel. Body is light and has a crispness.

Overall, i wouldnt knock anyone for liking this, but i sure as hell don't. Seems like a more cultural drink. I'd rather just a bud, or better yet, a bloody mary.

2.98/5  rDev +49%

Appearance: Rhubarb sauce colored liquid with a short-lived, fizzy pink head.

Smell: Hint of beer, tomatoes and a strange fishy smell.

Taste: Not totally bad. This would be good with breakfast. The beer flavors linger underneath the taste of vegetable juice. Slightly spicy finish with hints of lime.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Very chunky.

Drinkablity: I had to give it a try. Not too bad, but not a classic either.

3.28/5  rDev +64%

I have had many "red" beers I have mixed myself so somebody elses mixture in a can is intrigueing. Poured into a schooner and the color is ...well...red. The smell is tomato and peppery spice. The mouthfeel is good. This red beer seems to have a higher viscosity than one mixed myself. Dare I say the sliminess is due to the clam juice. Taste is good beer followed by tomato and pepper. Spicy to taste but not too spicy. The lime kind of comes through in the end. This is a grreat idea. Not an everyday beer, but when you want or need a red brew its nice to pick one up that is ready to go.

Never had this one either and also sampled last night on 8/18/14. This one came in a 25 ounce can for $2.39. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage "Budwesier' thumb print glass goblet that I bought for 59 cents about a mont ago at the local Salvation Army Store in 'like-new' condition.

Pours a pinkish-red in color with no head to speak of and no lacing to mention either. The aroma is would be expected and is of 'beer and tomato juice'. More going on with the taste as you can taste the lime and salt in the mix also. A little tangy on the tongue. Not as bad as i did except but not a great one either. It is different.

2.05/5  rDev +2.5%

a: poured out of a pint can into a normal beer mug, pours a grapefruity red color with about a half inch of very fizzy red head that dissapears as quickly as a soda pop, a ring of lace appears around the edge of the glass
s: tomatoe juice aroma, tabasco, slight sweet/ salty malt aroma
t: hints of bud but a strong taste of tomoato juice and hints of tabasco, deffinatly comparable to a bloody mary
m: medium bodied beer with very little sharp carbonation

overall, i will not drink this again

1.75/5  rDev -12.5%

2.88/5  rDev +44%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A Bloody Mary in beer form.
Not what I expected. There was a lot of apprehension before popping this one open, and I ended up with far less chagrin than anticipated. Bright pink and sludgy, not clear. Light pink, dirty-looking soapy head drops quickly as expected and leaves nothing behind. Aroma consists of tomato juice mostly, a distinct ocean-saltiness, and very faint fishiness, but not nearly the fish oil I expected.
Flavor is dominated by salty tomato, just a hint of seafood in the finish, and a good bit of salt... maybe some lime, like those tortilla with a "hint of lime" that are overwhelmed with the stuff. Some of the adjunct notes become evident as it warms.
Mouthfeel is sludgy, a light spiciness in the finish, low carbonation.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm sure I won't buy it again, but if you're craving a Bloody Mary, it's cheap and really not bad. For what they tried to do, I think they've accomplished it. Now, as rated against most other beers, it's subpar. But rated as it is, as the thing they set out to accomplish... Don't be so afraid of the reviews of this beer, try it for yourself.

I NEVER thought I would actually give a fairly positive review of this stuff... But I'd certainly rather drink it than plain Budweiser.

4.75/5  rDev +137.5%

(re-reviewing/editing this about 4 months after the initial review) I have to admit this beer has become something of a guilty pleasure of mine, so I had to edit my review to reflect my change of heart.

24oz can poured into a Budweiser pint glass.

Appearance - Chicos taco's sauce. Watery looking tomato juice. Opaque with visible particulate matter. No head. Weird looking, but proper for the style.

Smell - No smell other than clamato.

Taste - Tastes more like clamato than beer. Has a nice bite. Tomato and sweetness with a slight undercurrent of Budweiser.

Mouthfeel - Clean with a crisp bite. Very refreshing.

Overall Drinkability - Actually really enjoyed this. First time I had it I thought it was pretty gross, maybe because I was drinking it sort of warm from the can. Chilled in a glass is pretty worthy. I've had it several times since the first time I reviewed this beer, and it is now my go-to beer for when I only have a gas station selection.

2.75/5  rDev +37.5%

3.35/5  rDev +67.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

first off i get a real kick out of people saying "oh no it is reddish pink", "oh no it is tomato flavor or clam flavor", or "it is spicy or salty". must not have ever heard of tomato juice or clamato juice or had a bloody mary.

i did not shake before opening. i did the slow rotating of the can end for end 3-4 times in each direction. poured a light reddish with some head. smells like...well beer and bloody mary. taste and smell are what i expect. i love a good bloody mary and ceasar so this was fairly good to me. a bit of spice with some carbonation. most of the beer taste is backseat to the clamato, but i expected that. to me, drinkable on a hot humid day as a refresher...kinda like a bloody mary or ceasar.

who'd a thunk it?

giblet

1.75/5  rDev -12.5%

1.43/5  rDev -28.5%

24 oz can in dog-faced mug bought for my by my Jenny.

A: Pink and fizzy. Its this red pop?

S&T: Funny this reminds me of the odor and I once experienced after drinking several quarts of beer and other drinks and staying up all night to go to the breakfast club at grand prix weekend at Purdue university. They had big vats of bloody mary mix that they were serving to all the drunks that were up all night. They would just dip the cup hand arm and all into the vat and serve it up. It smelled and kind of tasted like this beer.
All that aside We have a strange concoction. Smells like clams, bloody mary, and a bit of lime with a bad beer. Kind of smells like Datoyna Beach too. Tastes like it smells.

M: Thumbs down.

D: I had to dump it into a jar to save for cooking. I think this will be an awesome beer to cook and marinate with.

2.5/5  rDev +25%

1.35/5  rDev -32.5%

24 fluid ounces.

Looks almost exactly like pink grapefruit juice, but a couple shades darker. A light pink head erodes to just a mere halo. Lots of tiny suspended matter visible through this murky reddish-pink liquid.

Smells nothing like beer or any tomato concoction I've ever raised to my nostrils. More like bad B.O. beacuse I can detected sour, salt, musty & funky - all in a real bad way.

Taste: Salty - check. Tomato - actually there is a noticably (somewhat) accurate tomato balance that is zesty and a little spicy. Lime - yes, there is a sourness that *might* resemble lime - anyway, it's sour. Clam - how about an earthy funk that could taste like either a sun-rotten warm clam -OR- a pussing infected wound.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and very flat.

Drinkability is horrible. The remaining 20(ish) onces are heading for the kitchen sink as soon as I'm done.

Overall there are some redeeming qualities to this putrid offering, but it is mostly gut wrenching. The spiciness is a little appealing, because it does bring out some mediorce tomato essence - but that's where the 'good' ends. Maybe Jeffrey Dahmer would have liked this beer?

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch