Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007

2.72/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

24 oz can poured into an imperial pilsener glass

A- Pours a ruby red color with with a pinkish white head that dissipated almost immediately. Carbonation is very active.

S- Smells like tomato juice, salty, with a hint of lime citrus. Picking up a little bit on the corny Budweiser smell.

T- Taste just like a beer mixed with tomato juice. The tomato juice flavor is dominant, pretty salty, and beer flavor does not really stand out. Not really surprising because it is Budweiser.

M- The tomato gives it a medium bodied mouthfeel. Carbonation is crisp and I enjoyed it.

O- Hardly a beer in my opinion, but I did enjoy it. I have always liked red beers (beer with tomato juice) so I enjoyed this. It goes nicely with an olive garnish and is an excellent hangover cure. (771 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +43.5%

The first time I saw this it was like God Almighty....what kinda crap has Bud come up with now? I'll not elaborate much here because I don't know how to desribe it except that it tastes like Bud/Clamato/Lime/salt. That hot, throat parched day that I decided to try it, I actually liked it enough that I bought it 2 or 3 more times.

All I've gotta say, if you have ever liked red beer, is try it... you too may find it odly refreshing. It is, IMHO, much better than the crap Miller is trying pass off as a Chelada sytle.

Edit: I probably should have given this lower marks on smell and appearance (esp), it doesn't look that appetizing. (638 characters)

24 oz can: Pours a weird looking cloudy orangish/amber color with a medium sized white head that diminishes into nothing. Aroma is bloody Mary mix and a little bit a grainy scent. Taste is salty, tomato, and a bit of a strange taste to it. Palate is tomato, salty, and rather strange for a beer to say the least. Overall, I kind of get the idea what Budweiser was going for. It just amazes me that they make this stuff rather than trying to make quality craft beer. Oh well...It's Budweiser. I'm sorry after trying to drink the rest of this can. Drain pour! Cheers! (565 characters)

1.1/5  rDev -49.1%

16 oz can from my local supermarket.

Pours a pinkish color with a pond scum-like film of a head. The bouquet is that of rotting clams, fish and moldy tomatoes. This smell sort of reminds me of a backing up garbage disposal. The taste is only slightly worse, besides rotten clams and rancid tomatoes; I get puke, and bile. The mouthfeel is greasy. This is definitely an acquired taste, one that transcends and redefines the word disgusting. God help AB (those great Belgian brewers). (483 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -45.4%

What the hell just happened? First, I poured this V8 colored beverage into a glass, and it made a little bit of a head that I imagine that Hawaiian Punch would make if it were carbonated, and it disappeared as quickly. As I look down into my beer now (beer if you can call it that) I see little floating things that are the color the head was, I don't know what they are.
It separated like old vegetable juice does with a dark part at the bottom and light at the top. In all honesty it smells like tomato juice and blood. No kidding, it has the iron aroma of blood. At first this sound like a good thing because you can tell your friends that you're manly enough to drink blood, but in truth I have ha busted lips that taste better than this.
How did this make it past product testing, let alone all the way to East Tennessee? Granted, my friend brought this particular can from Texas, but this product can be had at local Wal Marts here. I really can't bring myself to finish my half of the rather large can that it came in. I was drinking Mickey's before this on this particular evening, and while it's not that great, it's going to taste like Cheatu Latour compared to the Chelada when I switch back... now. (1,212 characters)

My friend bought and shared this with me straight from the can.

It looked reddish.
Smelled awful..kind of like V8 tomato drink and something else.
Taste was just plain nasty. Clam, tomato, and beer. I almost puked.
I think this the worst tasting beverage I have ever drank in my life. (285 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +106.9%

I'm a huge fan of red beer (Clamato,V8 or whatever and a lager)... NOTHING beats a chelada or red beer on a 115 degree day in the sun....the sodium keeps you from turning into jerky and the lime refreshes you...this is why 99% of all mexican beers have a low ABV...its hot as hell down there and lawnmower beer ABV is all youll be able to stand in the inferno.

also enjoying nasty things like anchovies or smoked oysters helps in enjoying this beer...im down with nasty foods...mmm

24oz can in Lubbock Texas (119 degrees,a record actually)...middle of the 2011 drought. $2.49

the price is the only dislike...i recommend your favorite lager,or even a high gravity and some clamato,lime and salt and make your own at the casa...theyre really poundable and delicious...plus you dont wake up all dehydrated if you get plowed.

if you need a roadie on your way home and you got some swass going on...this IS the ticket

p.s. red beer/chelada is great if youre hung over...the salt and alcohol take the pain away really quick...seriously! (1,035 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -8.3%

Appears...pinkish red, fizzy in a bad way

Smells...mostly like tomato, a little like clam. Not a lot of beer smell. Maybe like dirty tomato juice.

Tastes...overpoweringly salty. Aside from the salt, I have to say it was not as bad as I expected. It tasted very much like a premixed, weak bloody mary. Tasted almost nothing like beer.

Mouthfeel...is like neither beer nor clamato juice. Not awful, but in no way beer-like.

Drinkability...is hurt by the saltiness, but otherwise is light and refreshing if it's very cold. I didn't finish the 24 oz can, but neither would I have finished a 24 oz Bud or a 24 oz Clamato juice.

Honestly, I bought this because it looked gross. It was ultimately not really that gross, though I don't see it being successful with the craft brew crowd. Worth a shot if you already like Bud and want a little spice, but don't want to step up to trying microbrews.

In sum, if the can looks good to you then you'll probably love it. If it looks bad to you, then pass. (996 characters)

I'm sorry, I personally don't think this beer deserves an actual review. I know BA doesn't like beers being openly bashed but this is possibly the most foul tasting things I've ever put in my mouth. I don't know why I still see it at my local grocery store to this day. Sorry but this is unacceptable (300 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -35.2%

As already stated, the concept of mixing beer and tomato/Clamato juice is nothing new. A "red eye" has been around for decades, and I don't believe its origins come from south of the border. I think AB went the "chelada" route because of recent trends, and the fact Clamato juice has really taken off in Mexico and Central America, and has become a huge market for Clamato. I'm a big fan of Clamato juice, I enjoy a red eye, so how bad could it be? This beer pours to a opaque pink color, with a pink head that quickly fades, and a vibrant carbonation. The nose on this beer is a mix of lime/Clamato which is nice if you like that, trouble is, most don't. The palate is salty, with Clamato flavor, which pretty masks any beer flavor. This beer ends with more Clamato/salty flavors, then ends with a hint of lime flavor and salt that lingers. Not a very good example of red eye. If you like Clamato (I love it) it is palatable for that reason alone. That being said, you would do far better making your own red eye with a better tasting beer, Clamato, or what ever tomato based juice you fancy. Worth a try for the curious, but not a beer I would ever purchase again. (1,166 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +80.6%

Let's get something straight...I'm not comparing this to Ayinger or Lagunitas. I absolutely LOVE this beverage as the first one (sometimes even two) of the early evening. No chance I'm drinking 'em all night.

To the point though, it is more beer than juice...there is no hint of "thickness" or "clams" to it and it has just the right amount of peppery taste. I only drink it on hunting trips and recently turned a few doubters into zealous supporters of the almighty Chelada.

Try one in an ice cold can and I guarantee if you ignore your own prejudices you will love it (especially if you like Bloody Marys). (611 characters)

If I could have given this less than 1.0... I would have. I sampled this at Beer On The Pier 08. I wish I hadn't.

I enjoy the occational Bloody Mary, but this was something completely different. This was just wrong.

My recommendation... walk away. I imagine the creation of this was a plank that a couple of frat boys wanted to play on a buddy.

Joe - Hey, Frank. Come here. I've got a joke we can play on the new guy.

Frank - Cool. What is it.

Joe - Alright, lets take his bud and add tomato juice to it.

Frank - That's bad, but...

Joe - Wait, I wasn't done yet. Next we add clam juice to it.

Frank - I'm going to be sick. (630 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +85.6%

Being a seafood lover, why not try it inside a beer?

A: Watery tomato juice. A reddish, watery look. Head was about 1-finger and rapidly vanished. Sorry, lacing was absent!!

S: Not much!! The smell was rather weak as is their standard Bud. Vaguely Clamato and Bud-cabbage.

T: Spicy!! There is some fishiness due to the Clamato. Front of tongue is actually kinda sweet.

O: A good summer-cooler beer. But I make this myself and even better: Bud, tomato (NOT clam) juice, fresh lime juice and salt. Mine lacks the fishiness...Some of my beer-geek friends have adopted my "Chelada". (583 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +61.6%

These kind of beers are big with Hispanics, I'm a Mexican American and I grew up with Clamato and beer. So when I first tried the Chelada I thought their ok but after drinking acouple I really started to like them. In my opinion they are not that bad I guess you really have to like clams tomato and cheap beer lol. Just give the Chelada a chance you'll start to like it. (371 characters)

Tried Bud light and Modelo version too. Even tried making my own different ways. This one is just the best mix of THIS TYPE OF DRINK. I tried using chelada mix and tried with V8 juice but doesn't compare. I think we need a new phrase... "Konk! Wow! I could have hard a Chelada!". :) (295 characters)

alright, I've had the bloody mary beer before, and they're not bad. Thought maybe this would be like that. I was wrong. It looks like someone vomited blood into a beer, and then it was packaged. A hint of clamato smell was expected, but I didn't expect it to smell like old rotten clams. I got nowhere near finishing this vile drink. I started to gag a few sips into it. Even typing this up almost made me throw up in my mouth. Homeless people would not drink this. (465 characters)

After seeing this "beer" on several occasions, I decided to try it. The mere premise of beer mixed with Clamato is repulsive, but I have to admit I like the stuff. Keep in mind, this isn't beer by any definition: it's more like a fizzy bloody mary. Quite frankly, there is nothing to compare it to, but it's kind of strangely addictive. Besides, I feel healthier knowing it's mixed with tomato and clam juice. Beer? No. Wierd? Yes. Worth trying? Absolutely. By the way, I have had several of these over the past few weeks and there is no way in Hell I would pour it in a glass. I like the taste, but I'm certain the sight of this stuff in a glass would make me want to puke. (674 characters)

Savannah IL. A surprise flash flood finds me and my mates hectically trying to protect our campsite belongings before relinquishing all control to the rain. We retreat in our rental to Cap'n Walts liquor/bar to wait it out. At some point our semi-ironic perusal of the worst beers on hand produces chelada, the most memorable selection of the evening, even more so than Sparks. The can which clearly states not to shake the product is covered with corporate shite. We decided (sans shake) that the beer should be reviewed in thirds. The first third a watery swill that may or may not be pure busch. the second a skanky redolent factorized seafood which is reminiscent only of vomit going the wrong direction. The third, and this is after repeated round-robins amongst the brave,brave,b rave, coowardly goes to one last soul who describes the experience as a potpourri of every spice and flavoring and coloring we should have had earlier. Spicy MSG, fake tomatoes, kind of a stale bloody mary gone bad sitting around, a frat dorm party the following weekend drink this on a dare, type of wretchedness.
After the beverage we are suddenly imbued with a sober sense of newfound clarity, an appreciation for the good things in life and a post-war wariness of how close we could all be to the ugliness and wickedness. We visit nearby "Poopy's" and all get tattoos of "never again" it could mean the terrorists or the exxon valdez spill or numerous other things but it DOES mean no more chelada, now or ever, it is solidarity, and an inside joke, and the best of all possible reasons to get inked. (1,591 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +49.5%

Honestly surprised the bros haven't tried this one.

There are notes of tomato juice, and beer. and what else could anyone ask for?

Totally refreshing. One of the few flavors I crave (186 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +62%

This is not a beer but rather sort of a cocktail drink to all those not familiar with michelada or chelada drinks. Color is pinkish and not that pleasant to the eye, smell is weak for michelada original ingredients, I liked the taste thouh, don't get me wrong this is nothing close to preparing one yourself. Great for 100+ degrees summer days and have 1 or 2 at most. (369 characters)

2.48/5  rDev +14.8%

This is an odd beer... if you would call it that, I dont think there is any way you are going to make heads or tails of the appearance
I was instantly reminded of the smell of beer and pizza vomit and it took a couple of gags to get the first few sips down, but as my palate broke down and figured out a lot of competing flavors, I found myself compelled to drink more. Kinda like sniffing at a dead skunk I guess. I would buy more, but only to make other people unwittingly suffer. (482 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +76.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4

I am not Mexican, but sometimes I feel like one. Especially on those hot summer days when I'm dirty. Twenty five ounces of Labomba! Makes me feel classy drinking a cocktail with the king of beers. Don't take too much on for the first sip, if shaken let it have a siesta, it can hit the back of your mouth and you may have the taste of puked Clamato. After that...enjoy the journey. Despite it's contents, the taste is perfumy and not too heavy. To make it authentic, I suggest enjoying it in an ice filled glass with a splash of worecestshire sauce and a slice of lime. But, if you bought a can of this you probably drink it from it's container wrapped in the brown paper bag coozie. (683 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +90.3%

I believe you have to like tomato-y things like V8 or bloody marys to really like this drink. It definitely has a beer-like flavor, but it is more like a cocktail to me. Just like a mild bloody mary made with macrobrew instead of vodka. I was really hot, thirsty, tired when I drank this and it was extremely tasty and refreshing; light-bodied, tang of tomato, a mild twinge of chili spice, traditional Bud taste, and a nice cut of acidity from the citrus added. It was quite restorative. Weird orangey-pink color though. And for those skeptical of "clamato" do not fear: there is not even a hint of anything fishy in here. Just tomato. (636 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +75.9%

As another reviewer stated, the first one I drank, I didn't think so much of it. After a few of these the taste grew on me. I find they taste good now and very drinkable. I never had the combination of clamato and beer before and I actually don't care for Budweiser, but for me, the Chelada tastes ok. (301 characters)

1.35/5  rDev -37.5%

Being the adventurous sort, I'll try any beer once. Give it it's fair shake so to speak. Here is an honest assessment.

Don't. Just plain don't. Leave it on the shelf, back away slowly and avoid eye contact.

It poured a murky reddish/grapefruit color and was initially appealing to the eye. When brought to the nose it smelled of beer and clamato as expected. The initial mouthful was perplexing. The carbonation was spritely, and felt good, but the flavor of the concoction was not jiving with the initial sniff. I have no way to describe the dismay I felt as soon as it passed my lips. I soldiered on and finished anyway. Three cans remained, and I was determined to not let my first impression be clouded by the psychological effect Chelada had on me.

Over the course of the next week, I had one can every other day allowing my palate to recover. Each sip was as terrible as the first from can one through can four. This one is a definative low in my book. I give this one a ne'er again and leave it in my wake.

Slainte! (1,027 characters)