Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)
3.28/5  rDev +63.2%

I have had many "red" beers I have mixed myself so somebody elses mixture in a can is intrigueing. Poured into a schooner and the color is ...well...red. The smell is tomato and peppery spice. The mouthfeel is good. This red beer seems to have a higher viscosity than one mixed myself. Dare I say the sliminess is due to the clam juice. Taste is good beer followed by tomato and pepper. Spicy to taste but not too spicy. The lime kind of comes through in the end. This is a grreat idea. Not an everyday beer, but when you want or need a red brew its nice to pick one up that is ready to go.

mooseisloose, Oct 27, 2007

mjurney, Nov 19, 2011
2.05/5  rDev +2%

a: poured out of a pint can into a normal beer mug, pours a grapefruity red color with about a half inch of very fizzy red head that dissapears as quickly as a soda pop, a ring of lace appears around the edge of the glass
s: tomatoe juice aroma, tabasco, slight sweet/ salty malt aroma
t: hints of bud but a strong taste of tomoato juice and hints of tabasco, deffinatly comparable to a bloody mary
m: medium bodied beer with very little sharp carbonation

overall, i will not drink this again

happygnome, Feb 24, 2008

warpedrevolution, May 14, 2013
2.88/5  rDev +43.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A Bloody Mary in beer form.
Not what I expected. There was a lot of apprehension before popping this one open, and I ended up with far less chagrin than anticipated. Bright pink and sludgy, not clear. Light pink, dirty-looking soapy head drops quickly as expected and leaves nothing behind. Aroma consists of tomato juice mostly, a distinct ocean-saltiness, and very faint fishiness, but not nearly the fish oil I expected.
Flavor is dominated by salty tomato, just a hint of seafood in the finish, and a good bit of salt... maybe some lime, like those tortilla with a "hint of lime" that are overwhelmed with the stuff. Some of the adjunct notes become evident as it warms.
Mouthfeel is sludgy, a light spiciness in the finish, low carbonation.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm sure I won't buy it again, but if you're craving a Bloody Mary, it's cheap and really not bad. For what they tried to do, I think they've accomplished it. Now, as rated against most other beers, it's subpar. But rated as it is, as the thing they set out to accomplish... Don't be so afraid of the reviews of this beer, try it for yourself.

I NEVER thought I would actually give a fairly positive review of this stuff... But I'd certainly rather drink it than plain Budweiser.

khiasmus, Jan 16, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +136.3%

(re-reviewing/editing this about 4 months after the initial review) I have to admit this beer has become something of a guilty pleasure of mine, so I had to edit my review to reflect my change of heart.

24oz can poured into a Budweiser pint glass.

Appearance - Chicos taco's sauce. Watery looking tomato juice. Opaque with visible particulate matter. No head. Weird looking, but proper for the style.

Smell - No smell other than clamato.

Taste - Tastes more like clamato than beer. Has a nice bite. Tomato and sweetness with a slight undercurrent of Budweiser.

Mouthfeel - Clean with a crisp bite. Very refreshing.

Overall Drinkability - Actually really enjoyed this. First time I had it I thought it was pretty gross, maybe because I was drinking it sort of warm from the can. Chilled in a glass is pretty worthy. I've had it several times since the first time I reviewed this beer, and it is now my go-to beer for when I only have a gas station selection.

ZenAgnostic, Jul 24, 2011
3.35/5  rDev +66.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

first off i get a real kick out of people saying "oh no it is reddish pink", "oh no it is tomato flavor or clam flavor", or "it is spicy or salty". must not have ever heard of tomato juice or clamato juice or had a bloody mary.

i did not shake before opening. i did the slow rotating of the can end for end 3-4 times in each direction. poured a light reddish with some head. smells like...well beer and bloody mary. taste and smell are what i expect. i love a good bloody mary and ceasar so this was fairly good to me. a bit of spice with some carbonation. most of the beer taste is backseat to the clamato, but i expected that. to me, drinkable on a hot humid day as a refresher...kinda like a bloody mary or ceasar.

who'd a thunk it?

giblet

giblet, Aug 09, 2009
1.5/5  rDev -25.4%

fizzyted, Dec 16, 2011

4Socialanxiety, Apr 22, 2012

slowdaddy, Aug 10, 2012

Never had this one either and also sampled last night on 8/18/14. This one came in a 25 ounce can for $2.39. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage "Budwesier' thumb print glass goblet that I bought for 59 cents about a mont ago at the local Salvation Army Store in 'like-new' condition.

Pours a pinkish-red in color with no head to speak of and no lacing to mention either. The aroma is would be expected and is of 'beer and tomato juice'. More going on with the taste as you can taste the lime and salt in the mix also. A little tangy on the tongue. Not as bad as i did except but not a great one either. It is different.

BeerWithMike, Aug 19, 2014
1.43/5  rDev -28.9%

24 oz can in dog-faced mug bought for my by my Jenny.

A: Pink and fizzy. Its this red pop?

S&T: Funny this reminds me of the odor and I once experienced after drinking several quarts of beer and other drinks and staying up all night to go to the breakfast club at grand prix weekend at Purdue university. They had big vats of bloody mary mix that they were serving to all the drunks that were up all night. They would just dip the cup hand arm and all into the vat and serve it up. It smelled and kind of tasted like this beer.
All that aside We have a strange concoction. Smells like clams, bloody mary, and a bit of lime with a bad beer. Kind of smells like Datoyna Beach too. Tastes like it smells.

M: Thumbs down.

D: I had to dump it into a jar to save for cooking. I think this will be an awesome beer to cook and marinate with.

baos, Feb 03, 2008
2.5/5  rDev +24.4%

jesus808, Dec 20, 2011
2.75/5  rDev +36.8%

MammothTarantula, Mar 09, 2012

tyleeis, Apr 28, 2013
1.35/5  rDev -32.8%

24 fluid ounces.

Looks almost exactly like pink grapefruit juice, but a couple shades darker. A light pink head erodes to just a mere halo. Lots of tiny suspended matter visible through this murky reddish-pink liquid.

Smells nothing like beer or any tomato concoction I've ever raised to my nostrils. More like bad B.O. beacuse I can detected sour, salt, musty & funky - all in a real bad way.

Taste: Salty - check. Tomato - actually there is a noticably (somewhat) accurate tomato balance that is zesty and a little spicy. Lime - yes, there is a sourness that *might* resemble lime - anyway, it's sour. Clam - how about an earthy funk that could taste like either a sun-rotten warm clam -OR- a pussing infected wound.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and very flat.

Drinkability is horrible. The remaining 20(ish) onces are heading for the kitchen sink as soon as I'm done.

Overall there are some redeeming qualities to this putrid offering, but it is mostly gut wrenching. The spiciness is a little appealing, because it does bring out some mediorce tomato essence - but that's where the 'good' ends. Maybe Jeffrey Dahmer would have liked this beer?

malty, Sep 23, 2009
1.75/5  rDev -12.9%

DaveRinn, May 19, 2014
1.08/5  rDev -46.3%

I wonder who came up with the idea for this one. Bud is constantly putting out some odd stuff -- trying to push the envelope down people's throat.
This stuff is just plain odd. Pours a strange red color with fizz? Strange. Smells of tomatoes and some spices. Tastes of tomatoes and some burnt grain. Mouthfeel is thin and strangely chunky. Drinkability -- there isn't really any.

TheKingofWichita, Oct 02, 2010
1.33/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I obtained this unholy concoction after seeing it sitting rather innocuously in the fridge at my local Beerporium. I know now that I had fallen into an elaborate trap to rape my tastebuds and possibly get rid of some ancient Campbell's tomato soup that was taking up space somewhere around the Budweiser factory. If you are thinking of picking up this beer, there is an important question to ask yourself. Say, "Self, have I ever had the craving to put some pretty mediocre beer into old tomato soup and then add clam byproducts and a half a pound of salt?". If you answered yes to that, seek help. If you answered no but are still curious, I have braved this demon solution and possibly lived to tell the tale. The beer poured a pinkish red with a large pink head. It visually reminds me of a cranberry gingerale I had once. Any similarities between this demon brew and a beverage end there. The smell is of tomatoes and clams, with a hint of what may be beer in the background. Since I don't normally mix seafood and fruits with my beer, this smell was not entirely appealing. The taste is tomato and humdrum beer followed by a clammy taste that is mercifully killed fairly quickly by the judicious amount of salt that was likely included in the beer to kill off any potentially lethal pathogens. The mouthfeel is like watered down carbonated tomato soup, and it's about as drinkable as you would expect watered down carbonated tomato soup to be. Since there are sober kids in Africa, I will down the rest of this beer. Let this review be my last will and testament if I don't survive the ordeal.

TheTrevor, Jan 25, 2008

Xzfgiimtsath, May 10, 2013

valianes, Oct 16, 2013

DuffDaddy, Jun 24, 2014
1.68/5  rDev -16.4%

Hmmm... Budweiser and Clamato together you say, brewed with a hint of salt and lime? Doesn't really sound at all that appetizing to me, so I wonder what compelled me to pick up a can of this. I guess I am compelled to try whatever strange offerings the big American macrobrewers try hawking at the beer purchasing public, and this definitely struck me as strange.

Bud Chelada pours a translucent coppery red color with two fingers of salmon colored foam that dissipates after about 45 seconds. The initial smell just smelled like regular Budweiser (or Bud Light) to me, but after a few more whiffs the tomato and clam aromas hit my nostrils. The mouthfeel was thin and fizzy, and simply put the beer tasted like a tomato soda. There was some hints of clam (and perhaps even some garlic-like taste) and it was slightly spicy as well. The flavors linger on for a bit in the finish and it fades out with no alcoholic warmth.

I didn't think it was too bad with my first few initial sips and the color was kind of interesting. However, the flavors soon settled in and this one was headed down the drain. I can only tolerate a few sips of this, so how am I supposed to down an entire 24 oz can of this? Definitely not recommended...

Beastdog75, Oct 21, 2008
3.08/5  rDev +53.2%

After drinking so many good beers lately, I was forced to go slumming down the canned BMC section of Kroger's for an upcoming camping trip. Then I spied this repulsive sounding beer.

This beer has a sickly orange pink glow to it. Strange pink head that dissipates quickly. Quite a bit of tomato floaties.

Aroma is tomatoes, not much else.

This beer tastes like a decent Bloody Mary. Some peppery spices , a hint of lime , very salty.

Mouthfeel is about what I'd expect?? A little too carbonated.

I'll probably drink more of these, most likely in the morning. Maybe a little pricey considering the ingredients.

shroompod, Apr 30, 2008
1.6/5  rDev -20.4%

Reviewed in the Blind Beer BIF. 24oz can poured into a MBC glass

A:  Dark peach/puke color with a head that is gone before I could even measure it.  Couldn't even get any back with a swirl. No lace (2)

S:  Oh dear god.  It's like a Bloody Mary with a can of tuna juice dropped in.  Or wait, spaghettios! Regardless, since this is beer, it's flat out awful (1)

T: Carbonated bloody Mary and/or liquid spaghettios.  To replacate this beer, put some spaghettios in a blender and add seltzer and BOOM... you have this beer.  Just repulsive (2)

M:  Ummm, uber thin with decent amount of carb (2)

D: Tuuuuribbble.  Would never buy this.  Shouldn't be considered beer. Only drank about 4oz before drainpouring. Offered to other people at my apartment and they also passed (1)

Brez07, Jun 11, 2011