Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007

My friend bought and shared this with me straight from the can.

It looked reddish.
Smelled awful..kind of like V8 tomato drink and something else.
Taste was just plain nasty. Clam, tomato, and beer. I almost puked.
I think this the worst tasting beverage I have ever drank in my life. (285 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +106.9%

I'm a huge fan of red beer (Clamato,V8 or whatever and a lager)... NOTHING beats a chelada or red beer on a 115 degree day in the sun....the sodium keeps you from turning into jerky and the lime refreshes you...this is why 99% of all mexican beers have a low ABV...its hot as hell down there and lawnmower beer ABV is all youll be able to stand in the inferno.

also enjoying nasty things like anchovies or smoked oysters helps in enjoying this beer...im down with nasty foods...mmm

24oz can in Lubbock Texas (119 degrees,a record actually)...middle of the 2011 drought. $2.49

the price is the only dislike...i recommend your favorite lager,or even a high gravity and some clamato,lime and salt and make your own at the casa...theyre really poundable and delicious...plus you dont wake up all dehydrated if you get plowed.

if you need a roadie on your way home and you got some swass going on...this IS the ticket

p.s. red beer/chelada is great if youre hung over...the salt and alcohol take the pain away really quick...seriously! (1,035 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -8.3%

Appears...pinkish red, fizzy in a bad way

Smells...mostly like tomato, a little like clam. Not a lot of beer smell. Maybe like dirty tomato juice.

Tastes...overpoweringly salty. Aside from the salt, I have to say it was not as bad as I expected. It tasted very much like a premixed, weak bloody mary. Tasted almost nothing like beer.

Mouthfeel...is like neither beer nor clamato juice. Not awful, but in no way beer-like.

Drinkability...is hurt by the saltiness, but otherwise is light and refreshing if it's very cold. I didn't finish the 24 oz can, but neither would I have finished a 24 oz Bud or a 24 oz Clamato juice.

Honestly, I bought this because it looked gross. It was ultimately not really that gross, though I don't see it being successful with the craft brew crowd. Worth a shot if you already like Bud and want a little spice, but don't want to step up to trying microbrews.

In sum, if the can looks good to you then you'll probably love it. If it looks bad to you, then pass. (996 characters)

I'm sorry, I personally don't think this beer deserves an actual review. I know BA doesn't like beers being openly bashed but this is possibly the most foul tasting things I've ever put in my mouth. I don't know why I still see it at my local grocery store to this day. Sorry but this is unacceptable (300 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -35.2%

As already stated, the concept of mixing beer and tomato/Clamato juice is nothing new. A "red eye" has been around for decades, and I don't believe its origins come from south of the border. I think AB went the "chelada" route because of recent trends, and the fact Clamato juice has really taken off in Mexico and Central America, and has become a huge market for Clamato. I'm a big fan of Clamato juice, I enjoy a red eye, so how bad could it be? This beer pours to a opaque pink color, with a pink head that quickly fades, and a vibrant carbonation. The nose on this beer is a mix of lime/Clamato which is nice if you like that, trouble is, most don't. The palate is salty, with Clamato flavor, which pretty masks any beer flavor. This beer ends with more Clamato/salty flavors, then ends with a hint of lime flavor and salt that lingers. Not a very good example of red eye. If you like Clamato (I love it) it is palatable for that reason alone. That being said, you would do far better making your own red eye with a better tasting beer, Clamato, or what ever tomato based juice you fancy. Worth a try for the curious, but not a beer I would ever purchase again. (1,166 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +80.6%

Let's get something straight...I'm not comparing this to Ayinger or Lagunitas. I absolutely LOVE this beverage as the first one (sometimes even two) of the early evening. No chance I'm drinking 'em all night.

To the point though, it is more beer than juice...there is no hint of "thickness" or "clams" to it and it has just the right amount of peppery taste. I only drink it on hunting trips and recently turned a few doubters into zealous supporters of the almighty Chelada.

Try one in an ice cold can and I guarantee if you ignore your own prejudices you will love it (especially if you like Bloody Marys). (611 characters)

If I could have given this less than 1.0... I would have. I sampled this at Beer On The Pier 08. I wish I hadn't.

I enjoy the occational Bloody Mary, but this was something completely different. This was just wrong.

My recommendation... walk away. I imagine the creation of this was a plank that a couple of frat boys wanted to play on a buddy.

Joe - Hey, Frank. Come here. I've got a joke we can play on the new guy.

Frank - Cool. What is it.

Joe - Alright, lets take his bud and add tomato juice to it.

Frank - That's bad, but...

Joe - Wait, I wasn't done yet. Next we add clam juice to it.

Frank - I'm going to be sick. (630 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +85.6%

Being a seafood lover, why not try it inside a beer?

A: Watery tomato juice. A reddish, watery look. Head was about 1-finger and rapidly vanished. Sorry, lacing was absent!!

S: Not much!! The smell was rather weak as is their standard Bud. Vaguely Clamato and Bud-cabbage.

T: Spicy!! There is some fishiness due to the Clamato. Front of tongue is actually kinda sweet.

O: A good summer-cooler beer. But I make this myself and even better: Bud, tomato (NOT clam) juice, fresh lime juice and salt. Mine lacks the fishiness...Some of my beer-geek friends have adopted my "Chelada". (583 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +61.6%

These kind of beers are big with Hispanics, I'm a Mexican American and I grew up with Clamato and beer. So when I first tried the Chelada I thought their ok but after drinking acouple I really started to like them. In my opinion they are not that bad I guess you really have to like clams tomato and cheap beer lol. Just give the Chelada a chance you'll start to like it. (371 characters)

Tried Bud light and Modelo version too. Even tried making my own different ways. This one is just the best mix of THIS TYPE OF DRINK. I tried using chelada mix and tried with V8 juice but doesn't compare. I think we need a new phrase... "Konk! Wow! I could have hard a Chelada!". :) (295 characters)

alright, I've had the bloody mary beer before, and they're not bad. Thought maybe this would be like that. I was wrong. It looks like someone vomited blood into a beer, and then it was packaged. A hint of clamato smell was expected, but I didn't expect it to smell like old rotten clams. I got nowhere near finishing this vile drink. I started to gag a few sips into it. Even typing this up almost made me throw up in my mouth. Homeless people would not drink this. (465 characters)

After seeing this "beer" on several occasions, I decided to try it. The mere premise of beer mixed with Clamato is repulsive, but I have to admit I like the stuff. Keep in mind, this isn't beer by any definition: it's more like a fizzy bloody mary. Quite frankly, there is nothing to compare it to, but it's kind of strangely addictive. Besides, I feel healthier knowing it's mixed with tomato and clam juice. Beer? No. Wierd? Yes. Worth trying? Absolutely. By the way, I have had several of these over the past few weeks and there is no way in Hell I would pour it in a glass. I like the taste, but I'm certain the sight of this stuff in a glass would make me want to puke. (674 characters)

Savannah IL. A surprise flash flood finds me and my mates hectically trying to protect our campsite belongings before relinquishing all control to the rain. We retreat in our rental to Cap'n Walts liquor/bar to wait it out. At some point our semi-ironic perusal of the worst beers on hand produces chelada, the most memorable selection of the evening, even more so than Sparks. The can which clearly states not to shake the product is covered with corporate shite. We decided (sans shake) that the beer should be reviewed in thirds. The first third a watery swill that may or may not be pure busch. the second a skanky redolent factorized seafood which is reminiscent only of vomit going the wrong direction. The third, and this is after repeated round-robins amongst the brave,brave,b rave, coowardly goes to one last soul who describes the experience as a potpourri of every spice and flavoring and coloring we should have had earlier. Spicy MSG, fake tomatoes, kind of a stale bloody mary gone bad sitting around, a frat dorm party the following weekend drink this on a dare, type of wretchedness.
After the beverage we are suddenly imbued with a sober sense of newfound clarity, an appreciation for the good things in life and a post-war wariness of how close we could all be to the ugliness and wickedness. We visit nearby "Poopy's" and all get tattoos of "never again" it could mean the terrorists or the exxon valdez spill or numerous other things but it DOES mean no more chelada, now or ever, it is solidarity, and an inside joke, and the best of all possible reasons to get inked. (1,591 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +49.5%

Honestly surprised the bros haven't tried this one.

There are notes of tomato juice, and beer. and what else could anyone ask for?

Totally refreshing. One of the few flavors I crave (186 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +62%

This is not a beer but rather sort of a cocktail drink to all those not familiar with michelada or chelada drinks. Color is pinkish and not that pleasant to the eye, smell is weak for michelada original ingredients, I liked the taste thouh, don't get me wrong this is nothing close to preparing one yourself. Great for 100+ degrees summer days and have 1 or 2 at most. (369 characters)

2.48/5  rDev +14.8%

This is an odd beer... if you would call it that, I dont think there is any way you are going to make heads or tails of the appearance
I was instantly reminded of the smell of beer and pizza vomit and it took a couple of gags to get the first few sips down, but as my palate broke down and figured out a lot of competing flavors, I found myself compelled to drink more. Kinda like sniffing at a dead skunk I guess. I would buy more, but only to make other people unwittingly suffer. (482 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +76.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4

I am not Mexican, but sometimes I feel like one. Especially on those hot summer days when I'm dirty. Twenty five ounces of Labomba! Makes me feel classy drinking a cocktail with the king of beers. Don't take too much on for the first sip, if shaken let it have a siesta, it can hit the back of your mouth and you may have the taste of puked Clamato. After that...enjoy the journey. Despite it's contents, the taste is perfumy and not too heavy. To make it authentic, I suggest enjoying it in an ice filled glass with a splash of worecestshire sauce and a slice of lime. But, if you bought a can of this you probably drink it from it's container wrapped in the brown paper bag coozie. (683 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +90.3%

I believe you have to like tomato-y things like V8 or bloody marys to really like this drink. It definitely has a beer-like flavor, but it is more like a cocktail to me. Just like a mild bloody mary made with macrobrew instead of vodka. I was really hot, thirsty, tired when I drank this and it was extremely tasty and refreshing; light-bodied, tang of tomato, a mild twinge of chili spice, traditional Bud taste, and a nice cut of acidity from the citrus added. It was quite restorative. Weird orangey-pink color though. And for those skeptical of "clamato" do not fear: there is not even a hint of anything fishy in here. Just tomato. (636 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +75.9%

As another reviewer stated, the first one I drank, I didn't think so much of it. After a few of these the taste grew on me. I find they taste good now and very drinkable. I never had the combination of clamato and beer before and I actually don't care for Budweiser, but for me, the Chelada tastes ok. (301 characters)

1.35/5  rDev -37.5%

Being the adventurous sort, I'll try any beer once. Give it it's fair shake so to speak. Here is an honest assessment.

Don't. Just plain don't. Leave it on the shelf, back away slowly and avoid eye contact.

It poured a murky reddish/grapefruit color and was initially appealing to the eye. When brought to the nose it smelled of beer and clamato as expected. The initial mouthful was perplexing. The carbonation was spritely, and felt good, but the flavor of the concoction was not jiving with the initial sniff. I have no way to describe the dismay I felt as soon as it passed my lips. I soldiered on and finished anyway. Three cans remained, and I was determined to not let my first impression be clouded by the psychological effect Chelada had on me.

Over the course of the next week, I had one can every other day allowing my palate to recover. Each sip was as terrible as the first from can one through can four. This one is a definative low in my book. I give this one a ne'er again and leave it in my wake.

Slainte! (1,027 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +94.4%

Im surprised to read the negative feedback. This is a morning pick me up bar none! Obviously these folks have not heard of or made a Red Eye to kick off a great day! The drink of choice for race morning tailgating!!

Try either the Budweiser or Bud Light version and see for yourself. My preference: the full-on Budweiser Chelada! (330 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +120.8%

Appearance - light red, slightly pink.

Smell - slight smell of beer, salt, and fresh vegetables. The smell can be delightful, if your into this sort of drink. However, most people try this beer with the mind set it is going to be disgusting, so the smell can be exaggerated in their mind to something that isn't pleasant.

Taste- delicious. A refreshing beer base taste, with a strong flavor of tomato, and noticeably salty taste. Just because the beer has clam juice doesnt mean the beer taste like clam. Anyone who says it taste like clam is lying, or they don't know what clam tastes like, and they were trying the beer with the mindset that its going to be gross, and their mind is lying to them to make it taste like something that it doesn't. The reason the clam is in the drink isn't to make it taste like clams. its there to add a more natural and unique salty flavor than simply sprinkling salt into a beer. The clam juice allows the saltiness to mix with the beer perfectly giving the beer a consistent salty refreshing taste that does not over power the beer. If you poured this into a glass, and served it to someone who didn't know what it was, they would say it tastes like beer, tomato juice, and salt, but with a slightly more refreshing and carbonated taste. Delicious for anyone who likes beer and tomato juice. Although many people i know who like Red Beers wont give this a 2nd try after hearing about the clams. Its a real mind game for people.

Mouth feel - More carbonated than you would think, as carbonated as a regular beer or more. Because of the natural tomato and clam ingredients, the beer has a very light sediment/pulp similar to a can of tomato juice, but much less noticeable. Give the beer a great feel in the mouth. Leaves the mouth ultra refreshed if served very cold. If you are in the mood to eat and drink, this beer is the best of both worlds because it will leave your senses satisfied from both sides.

Overall- Absolutely fantastic. Anyone who doesn't like this beer either doesn't like a tomato juice type flavor, or their mind has played tricks on them hearing it has clams. If you like Red Beer (tomato juice and beer, plus maybe some Tabasco) then you will like this beverage. If you like Red Beer and you don't like this beverage, you are lying. The clam isn't overpowering, and is almost tasteless. The saltiness will leave you wanting more, and the refreshing nature of the beer will leave you perfectly satisfied. 100% perfectly delicious. (2,496 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +47.2%

Seriously, you guys rating Chelada like its some kinda craft brew. Get over yourselves. It's friggin Budweiser and Clamato for Christ's sake!

First let's get a few things straight: Chelada is drunk only on swelteringly hot days. If you already took two showers today and you are just barely fending off the swamp ass, now THAT's a perfect day for a Chelada. I don't care if you drink it outta a frozen beer glass (good), an elegant champagne flute (better) or right out of the can (best, and good for mopping sweaty brow), it had damn well better be ice cold!

Here's the review: It tastes like Bud with Clamato. If you don't like those things, why on earth are you drinking Chelada? Go order yourself a burly man beer.

If you are lucky enough to live near an Hispanic community (Tip: No beer cocktail can beat into submission spicy authentic Mexican dishes like Chelada), your retailer may carry the Lime & Salt variety. Just consider yourself blessed.

Oh, one other thing. How many Cheladas should you have?

Martini lovers will know the answer: "There's nothing quite like your first sip of your second Martini."

Beer snobs can go smoke some hops. Anyone who loves food, drink and regional/ethnic delights, go find yourself a cold fridge and see if there's a Chelada in there! (1,288 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +105.1%

I am from Saskatchewan in Canada everyone I know that I know all say they love it. The only problem is is that it's not supported by the slb so its hard to fined and who does have it can charge what ever they want. When it comes to the drink it's self we all love it and can't get enough of it I'm going to a buddy's tonight and I'll be drinking cheladas there keep up the good job. (382 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +48.1%

I tried this concoction after mowing my yard last weekend. Last time I was a fan of Bud was when I was a kid; so much for palate back in those days (zero). Anyway, my son has been bringing these home and, being a bloody mary fan, I decided to give one a try. Boy, I was pleasantly surprised! I found it to be quite refreshing and not nearly as bad as I've been hearing. I see by some of the reviews here that it's not thought of very highly, but come on! We're not talking about craft beer here, folks. For what it is, it not that bad at all. A bit steep at $3.40 a can, but I'll be having another. (598 characters)

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch