Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
scottfrie

2.05/5  rDev +5.1%

Reviewed to style.

Pours a cloudy pink tomato color with a short lived pink head. Smells of salty tomato juice, but not of beer. Tastes follows suit with flavors of tomato juice, brine, V8-like spices and a splash of tobasco in the aftertaste. Brine reminds me of the ocean. Tastes like salty, fishy, tomato ass. Still not getting any beer. Spritzy carbonation, medium-low body, budweiser mouthfeel. Spice lingers after I swallow. I cringe at the thought of drinking this again.

09-13-2012 17:54:23 | More by scottfrie
Gagnonsux

07-27-2013 22:25:32 | More by Gagnonsux
emmasdad

Colorado

I ended up at a party the other night, after a long day, mind warped and body tired. I saw folks drinking this beer, and I could not resist the evil pull, something inside my wrecked brain urging me to try it, imploring me, to the point where my desire to try this beer bordered on the brink of obsession, and I just had to try it. And it was fucking disgusting. Somehow the brewers at Anheuser Busch managed to make one of the worst macros out there taste even worse. Luckily, I could not taste any clam juice, but I got a little pickling spice, some cheap tomato juice and a nasty taste lingering in my mouth.

07-02-2011 04:37:50 | More by emmasdad

08-25-2012 19:19:54 | More by beerpadawan
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

1.05/5  rDev -46.2%

Appearance. Pours a lightly rusty tomato-juice red with a little gold.

Smell. Canned tomato juice, celery, a little bit of beer smell that's reminicent of the drips that you get on your hand when you're collecting those beer cans from a party the night before.

Taste. Clamato juice with extra celery, lime juice, and sweet, terrible bmc lager.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with a soft grainy texture, somewhat sticky, and light + carbonation.

Overall. Truly putrid. I hate to be this negative in a review, and rarely am, but this stuff is vile. I thought I could handle this, being a Caesar fan on occasion, but a few sips of this tall boy was enough. I would advise to never buy this beer, even out of curiosity as was the case for me. A rating of 1 seems very generous here.

12-31-2012 04:02:00 | More by Rutager
rye726

Colorado

Saw this at the store and had to try it. Ended up being a good way to increase my appreciation for quality beer. A cloudy pinkish red with not much of a head. The nose and taste are of watered down tomato juice and stale grains. Thin body with too much carbonation. Terrible stuff.

05-08-2009 17:39:52 | More by rye726
Brew33

01-22-2013 19:09:26 | More by Brew33
thatoneguymike

Georgia

05-04-2014 23:19:02 | More by thatoneguymike
JayQue

This beer has nothing to recommend it. It wound up as a drain pour. Pours a dark pink color with a light pink head. The head is a weak fizzy one that fades fast. No lacing

Smells like clam juice with tomato. Taste is the same. Little or no taste of beer. You can't say the mouthfeel is too thin. The clam juice and tomato taste are thick, but again there is no hint of beer. Drinkability is terrible. I poured it down the sink after about 6 ounces. I would rather get a buzz off Listerine.

If you want to try something different that is widely criticized, get some Cave Creek Chile beer. More than likely you won't like it, but you will probably finish the bottle.

05-12-2008 01:24:29 | More by JayQue
bumchilly25

British Columbia (Canada)

05-12-2012 05:38:43 | More by bumchilly25
buschbeer

2.85/5  rDev +46.2%

Allow me to start by saying that I have two friends who have enjoyed a variation of this for years. One used Straub and clamato and the other used Rolling Rock. I have had bloody beer before so this is not a real style shock for me.

I poured into a pint glass to a pinkish head. It looks like watered down tomato juice. It smells kind of like a bloody Mary. I did gently turn the cans a few times to mix the contents. The taste is as expected, mostly clamato. I prefer a generous addition of Tabasco. I enjoy it as an eye opener, but that's about it. It's an alternative to the blood Mary.

09-12-2009 15:39:47 | More by buschbeer
bashiba

Iowa

2.1/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured a funky orange with the consistency of Hawaiian Punch. A light pink head that was quickly gone.

Has a funky bloody mary like smell with a bit of citrusy lime.

The flavor is a strange mix of slightly sweet tomato juice and a salty lime with a just a hint of bad beer flavor in the finish. Slightly more tomato flavor than the bud light version.

The mouthfeel is very thin, especially for something with tomato juice.

Overall I found it disappointing, Basically no difference between this and the Bud Light. Red Beer can be good, but make your own.

03-31-2009 00:46:48 | More by bashiba
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.53/5  rDev +81%

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada has a very thin, pink head, which almost instantly fizzes away and a cloudy, pinkish-red appearance with little chunks of something floating about. The aroma is of the Gulf of Mexico and V-8 Juice, with just a hint of lime. Taste is of tomato, clam broth, lime flavor, and some possible beer showing up as well. Mouthfeel is somewhat heavy, and this concoction finishes soupy and weird. Well, I guess this is pretty good, and I would like to have it if I were ever in the mood for Budweiser, tomato juice, lime flavor, and clam broth. I doubt that I will ever be in the mood for that, however. But, one never knows. Overall, it's interesting, if nothing else.

RJT

11-04-2011 23:36:38 | More by RonaldTheriot
Fettpopps

03-16-2014 02:09:32 | More by Fettpopps
Onenote81

1.25/5  rDev -35.9%

I gotta admit. I have the lowest of expectations for this 'beer.' I wasn't even planning on trying it. This beer became the 'stakes' of a bet between my brother and I. Loser had to consume a 24oz can over the span of an hour. He lost. But feeling sort of bad for him, I told him I'd try a bit to relieve his burden. Here goes...

Pours an murky pinkish red with a big 2-finger head on top. This disappears quicker than I can say 'tomato juice.' It looks like grapefruit juice. Too bad it tastes nothing like that. Smells like celery and vomit. Serious horridness going on here. It's like a rabbit puked in my glass after an afternoon in my garden. Gross.

The mouth is spritzy and bubbly. Thank goodness for that. If this was mellow and flat, I would purge. At least it feels alright. Flavor is of watered-down tomato soup, celery, and the faintest of grains. This is just all-out horrible. I will never, ever again allow this to get into my digestive system...unless I lose the next bet.

07-15-2009 03:54:02 | More by Onenote81
budgood1

4.35/5  rDev +123.1%

pours out of the 24 oz. can a pinkish tinged tomato red colour. you can smell the salt tinged clamato juice in the beer. no real lime aromas that i can tell. nice clamato flavours of tomato and black pepper. hints of lime and salt just as the label on the can pronounces. as an occasional drinker of cesars, bloody beers and bloody marys, i found this commercial offering pretty enjoyable. as for any mouthfeel, i'm not sure how a tomatoe beer is supposed come off. i guess i find it just fine. therefore the drinkability is pretty good for this concoction. would be good with a hearty breakfast, some aspirin, and bloody mary for dessert after an evening of boozing it up.

i'm not sure that this should a reviewable beer on BA, because it's a beer cocktail, and not really a "style". and for those who KNOW that they find lager beer and tomato/clamato juice an offending mix, why bother reviewing this at all??

one more thing...this 24oz. can was three bucks, so if you have some clamato juice, tomato juice, or V8 on hand, why not just make your own with some cheap lager and save some $$?

anyway, i liked this budweiser chelada just fine, and it washed down some homemade sausage quite well, thank you.

01-18-2008 22:30:01 | More by budgood1
Jame515

2.5/5  rDev +28.2%

09-13-2013 19:49:30 | More by Jame515
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

2.23/5  rDev +14.4%

24 fluid ounces of Budweiser & Clamato with salt and lime - the perfect combination, Budweiser beer with natural flavor and certified color (the label's words, not mine).
Picked this up while in the States, looked interesting, plus I like Caesars (vodka and Clamato).
Pours a murky, reddish color, with a bubbly pink head, that quickly turned into a floating scum. Smells like clamato juice, tomatoe. Taste has the saltiness and tomato juice flavor along with the sourish, grainy beer. Sticky mouthfeel.
I am having a hard time rating this one: What is inside is exactly what they claim on the package - beer and clamato, really no different than mixing your own red eye - so you get what you expect, just don't expect too much. It is a beer cocktail, not a unique beer. Tried it once, that was enough.

01-25-2009 18:34:01 | More by BigBry
Lukass

01-10-2013 03:16:24 | More by Lukass
AlCaponeJunior

1.53/5  rDev -21.5%

Super cloudy red with chunks of tomato. The head was super fizzy and disappeared almost immediately, leaving zero lace.

Smell is extremely heavily tomato, with heavy lime and a good portion of cardboard box.

Taste is super spicy, peppery with tons of clamato and a slightly sweet tomato paste finish.

Body is watery and poor, with almost an after-burn from the spices.

I've had the chelada light, and it's much better. However, they're both still bad, and bud regular chelada is a near drainpour unless you're out of money, too drunk to go to the store, or have no tastebuds.

10-04-2011 23:01:32 | More by AlCaponeJunior
hardy008

I had the Bud Light Chelada and found it to be horrid. Could Budweiser Chelada be as bad?

Has a pinkish orange color with a practically non-existent head. Reminds me of the color of the chum used in the movie "Jaws". Smells vile. Clam juice, tomato juice, and cooked rice? This is not a good combination.

The taste is nothing to write home about. With the clam juice, I can't help but to compare it to the chum used in "Jaws". True, I never tasted or smelled chum, but could this be much different? The worse part about this is the clam and tomato combination. Who thought that was a good idea? The cooked rice is all to familiar from regular Bud. This is a disaster.

Mouthfeel? Drinkability? Who is kidding who? Just stay away from this mess.

04-17-2010 18:17:41 | More by hardy008
Damian74Shensky

South Carolina

04-29-2014 17:39:48 | More by Damian74Shensky
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

A - Hazy orange/pink like watered down tomato juice.

S - Mostly tomato. Some clams I guess.

T - Salty, a bit sweet. Fizzy tomato juice... A bit tart and a light, light bitterness in the aftertaste. Some tomato.

M - Fizzy and pop/seltzer like.

D - Not bad actually, if you like this sort of thing. Obviously not especially beery. Good choice to use something relatively flavourless to mix with the tomato maybe... I probably won't be able to finish this 24 ouncer though. Classic case of it is what it is.

05-19-2008 05:30:19 | More by allergictomacros