Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

rAvg: 2
Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)

UncleJimbo, Nov 14, 2011
1.33/5  rDev -33.5%

So, this is AB's version of the wonderful Mexican drink Michelada. I found this by the single 24 oz. tall boy can at the Harrisonburg, VA Sheetz for $2.29. Had to be purchased and shared with fellow BA's Ffejherb, SierraGs and Brewslut.

I have enjoyed Michelada along the Carribbean in Veracruz, Mexico so I do have experience with the drink.

A-Comes out reddish as expected but way to thin looking. More pinkish than red. A pinkish bubbly head starts promising and then vanishes like someone waved a magic wand over it and told it to disappear--no lacing whatsoever.

S-To quote Brewslut--"I have smelled vomit that was better than this"! Reminded me of being along the Delaware Bayshore on a hot, late spring day during horseshoe crab spawning and deeply inhaling the wafting odor of thousands of decomposing crab carcasses.

T-Only a slight improvement over the aroma. This is WAY to bland and watery to be considered a real Michelada. Basically no flavour until the end and aftertaste when the Clamato takes over and leaves you with an oddly disturbing "fishy" taste.

M-Almost none. Thin, carbonated water spritzy and a little lingering spice and clam tatste. No richness, zip or tanginess at all.

D-Are there people out there that actually like this? If there are I would love to meet one and ask WHY and or HOW! This is way off. Real Mexicans would never drink this and think of home! Who at AB thought this would be a good idea? Once again AB takes something of a classic and ruins it for the masses scaring people for ever in thinking that this is what a Michelada is supposed to be like.

For some perspective here are two REAL recipes that I found....

Ingredients:
*12 oz. Mexican Beer, non-dark, (Corona, Dos XX....)
*6 oz Motts Clamato
*2 dashes of premium worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins)
*2 dashes Tabasco brand hot sauce
*juice from 2 non-yellow key limes
*1 pinch coarse ground black pepper (Mcormick or from a pepper grinder)
*1 pinch sea salt

Mix all the ingredients except the beer into a shaker and shake briefly. Pour Clamato mix simoultaneously with beer into a 22 oz pilsner glass with a little ice. Watch out because if you pour to fast it will foam up. Rimming the glass with celery salt is optional.

Add vodka if desired. Cant taste it but it helps the alcohol content!

Recipe from Cancun

Ingredients:
*12 oz. Mexican Beer, non-dark, (Negro Modelo or Corona)
*2 dashes of Jugo Sazonador (Maggi) "This is the key to a REAL Michelada"
*2 dashes of premium Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins)
*2 dashes Tabasco brand hot sauce (add more if you like it spicy)
*juice from 2 non-yellow key limes (Very important)

Mix all the ingredients except the beer into a beer glass, stir well, and add a few ice cubes. Rimming the glass with celery salt is optional, but adds to authenticity.

Deuane, Nov 27, 2009
2.1/5  rDev +5%

24 oz. can, poured to a pint glass.

Budweiser & Clamato "with Salt and Lime" or "con Sal y Limon", if you prefer.

Some interesting notes:
-This is Budweiser with 'Natural Flavor and Certified Color'
-No Agite! Do Not Shake! ('Rotate Gently to Mix")
-Contains Shellfish/Clams

Review #800. That 'milestone' has crept up slowly but surely; decided on Mexican tonight at an authentic little taqueria nearby (La Sirenita); picked up a can of Bud's Chelada on a whim at the store next door. Served with 3 tacos, including a 'Lengua' one, my first.

A: Oh jeez, how to review? A ruby grapefruit pink/orange color, jarringly vibrant. Gigantic fizzy/frothy head on first pour fills more than half the glass, then settles and winnows away entirely. Lace is unclear: are they flecks of foam or spatters of tomato-ey residue? After the head dies away, this looks remarkably dead like a pulpy fruit/vegetable juice with occasional rising bubbles. Gets a '2' from me, mostly because I like the color.

S: Quirky mix of corn pop sweetness (Bud) and a plump fruity/sugary tomato. Oddly enough, I kinda like it. Cocktail sauce meets macro lager.

T: Spicier than expected, a zesty and salty tomato flavor. Mild lime citrus and the tang of lime are vaguely notable, and cover nearly all traces of 'Budweiser' in this concoction. The spice/lime connection isn't too bad once you get used to it. It's the adjunct-sweet lager flavor that does a disservice...

M: Terrible, really terrible. Slick, oily, lifeless. Nothing redeeming.

D: Given that many reviews consider this to be an abomination, I agree somewhat. The addition of strong adjuncts like Clamato, salt and lime definitely transforms a lackluster lager like Bud into something entirely different. That 'something different' isn't necessarily good for a lover of craft beers, but I can see where there's some appeal here, to be honest. Sort of a fun experiment to see what's out there, but definitely not recommended except for the novelty...

msubulldog25, Mar 19, 2009
2.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Reviewed to style.

Pours a cloudy pink tomato color with a short lived pink head. Smells of salty tomato juice, but not of beer. Tastes follows suit with flavors of tomato juice, brine, V8-like spices and a splash of tobasco in the aftertaste. Brine reminds me of the ocean. Tastes like salty, fishy, tomato ass. Still not getting any beer. Spritzy carbonation, medium-low body, budweiser mouthfeel. Spice lingers after I swallow. I cringe at the thought of drinking this again.

scottfrie, Sep 13, 2012

DarthKostrizer, Apr 30, 2014

I ended up at a party the other night, after a long day, mind warped and body tired. I saw folks drinking this beer, and I could not resist the evil pull, something inside my wrecked brain urging me to try it, imploring me, to the point where my desire to try this beer bordered on the brink of obsession, and I just had to try it. And it was fucking disgusting. Somehow the brewers at Anheuser Busch managed to make one of the worst macros out there taste even worse. Luckily, I could not taste any clam juice, but I got a little pickling spice, some cheap tomato juice and a nasty taste lingering in my mouth.

emmasdad, Jul 02, 2011
1.05/5  rDev -47.5%

Appearance. Pours a lightly rusty tomato-juice red with a little gold.

Smell. Canned tomato juice, celery, a little bit of beer smell that's reminicent of the drips that you get on your hand when you're collecting those beer cans from a party the night before.

Taste. Clamato juice with extra celery, lime juice, and sweet, terrible bmc lager.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with a soft grainy texture, somewhat sticky, and light + carbonation.

Overall. Truly putrid. I hate to be this negative in a review, and rarely am, but this stuff is vile. I thought I could handle this, being a Caesar fan on occasion, but a few sips of this tall boy was enough. I would advise to never buy this beer, even out of curiosity as was the case for me. A rating of 1 seems very generous here.

Rutager, Dec 31, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -12.5%

beerpadawan, Aug 25, 2012
1.02/5  rDev -49%

A: Pours a murky ruby red grapefruit juice like color with very little head that fades incredibly quickly. There is no foam on the beer after it settles and no lacing at all. It's a bit darker than the Bud-Light version.

S: Again, this beer smells terrible. It smells of tomato, salt, and pepper.

T: It tastes of mild tomato, lime, salt, and pepper. It also has a bit of a tart finish. I actually think it's worse than the Bud-Light version.

M: Light bodied beer. It's slimey, and there is a bit of an effervescent carbonation in the finish.

O: It's bad and it's really gross. It is definitely worse than the other version. The rest of the can is headed down the drain.

trxxpaxxs, Dec 31, 2011

Brew33, Jan 22, 2013

Fettpopps, Mar 16, 2014

bumchilly25, May 12, 2012

This beer has nothing to recommend it. It wound up as a drain pour. Pours a dark pink color with a light pink head. The head is a weak fizzy one that fades fast. No lacing

Smells like clam juice with tomato. Taste is the same. Little or no taste of beer. You can't say the mouthfeel is too thin. The clam juice and tomato taste are thick, but again there is no hint of beer. Drinkability is terrible. I poured it down the sink after about 6 ounces. I would rather get a buzz off Listerine.

If you want to try something different that is widely criticized, get some Cave Creek Chile beer. More than likely you won't like it, but you will probably finish the bottle.

JayQue, May 12, 2008
2.85/5  rDev +42.5%

Allow me to start by saying that I have two friends who have enjoyed a variation of this for years. One used Straub and clamato and the other used Rolling Rock. I have had bloody beer before so this is not a real style shock for me.

I poured into a pint glass to a pinkish head. It looks like watered down tomato juice. It smells kind of like a bloody Mary. I did gently turn the cans a few times to mix the contents. The taste is as expected, mostly clamato. I prefer a generous addition of Tabasco. I enjoy it as an eye opener, but that's about it. It's an alternative to the blood Mary.

buschbeer, Sep 12, 2009

Saw this at the store and had to try it. Ended up being a good way to increase my appreciation for quality beer. A cloudy pinkish red with not much of a head. The nose and taste are of watered down tomato juice and stale grains. Thin body with too much carbonation. Terrible stuff.

rye726, May 08, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +76.5%

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada has a very thin, pink head, which almost instantly fizzes away and a cloudy, pinkish-red appearance with little chunks of something floating about. The aroma is of the Gulf of Mexico and V-8 Juice, with just a hint of lime. Taste is of tomato, clam broth, lime flavor, and some possible beer showing up as well. Mouthfeel is somewhat heavy, and this concoction finishes soupy and weird. Well, I guess this is pretty good, and I would like to have it if I were ever in the mood for Budweiser, tomato juice, lime flavor, and clam broth. I doubt that I will ever be in the mood for that, however. But, one never knows. Overall, it's interesting, if nothing else.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Nov 04, 2011
2.5/5  rDev +25%

Jame515, Sep 13, 2013
2.1/5  rDev +5%

Poured a funky orange with the consistency of Hawaiian Punch. A light pink head that was quickly gone.

Has a funky bloody mary like smell with a bit of citrusy lime.

The flavor is a strange mix of slightly sweet tomato juice and a salty lime with a just a hint of bad beer flavor in the finish. Slightly more tomato flavor than the bud light version.

The mouthfeel is very thin, especially for something with tomato juice.

Overall I found it disappointing, Basically no difference between this and the Bud Light. Red Beer can be good, but make your own.

bashiba, Mar 31, 2009
2/5  rDev 0%

Lukass, Jan 10, 2013
2.23/5  rDev +11.5%

24 fluid ounces of Budweiser & Clamato with salt and lime - the perfect combination, Budweiser beer with natural flavor and certified color (the label's words, not mine).
Picked this up while in the States, looked interesting, plus I like Caesars (vodka and Clamato).
Pours a murky, reddish color, with a bubbly pink head, that quickly turned into a floating scum. Smells like clamato juice, tomatoe. Taste has the saltiness and tomato juice flavor along with the sourish, grainy beer. Sticky mouthfeel.
I am having a hard time rating this one: What is inside is exactly what they claim on the package - beer and clamato, really no different than mixing your own red eye - so you get what you expect, just don't expect too much. It is a beer cocktail, not a unique beer. Tried it once, that was enough.

BigBry, Jan 25, 2009
1.53/5  rDev -23.5%

Super cloudy red with chunks of tomato. The head was super fizzy and disappeared almost immediately, leaving zero lace.

Smell is extremely heavily tomato, with heavy lime and a good portion of cardboard box.

Taste is super spicy, peppery with tons of clamato and a slightly sweet tomato paste finish.

Body is watery and poor, with almost an after-burn from the spices.

I've had the chelada light, and it's much better. However, they're both still bad, and bud regular chelada is a near drainpour unless you're out of money, too drunk to go to the store, or have no tastebuds.

AlCaponeJunior, Oct 05, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -37.5%

I gotta admit. I have the lowest of expectations for this 'beer.' I wasn't even planning on trying it. This beer became the 'stakes' of a bet between my brother and I. Loser had to consume a 24oz can over the span of an hour. He lost. But feeling sort of bad for him, I told him I'd try a bit to relieve his burden. Here goes...

Pours an murky pinkish red with a big 2-finger head on top. This disappears quicker than I can say 'tomato juice.' It looks like grapefruit juice. Too bad it tastes nothing like that. Smells like celery and vomit. Serious horridness going on here. It's like a rabbit puked in my glass after an afternoon in my garden. Gross.

The mouth is spritzy and bubbly. Thank goodness for that. If this was mellow and flat, I would purge. At least it feels alright. Flavor is of watered-down tomato soup, celery, and the faintest of grains. This is just all-out horrible. I will never, ever again allow this to get into my digestive system...unless I lose the next bet.

Onenote81, Jul 15, 2009
2/5  rDev 0%

JohnnieNepal, Feb 23, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +117.5%

pours out of the 24 oz. can a pinkish tinged tomato red colour. you can smell the salt tinged clamato juice in the beer. no real lime aromas that i can tell. nice clamato flavours of tomato and black pepper. hints of lime and salt just as the label on the can pronounces. as an occasional drinker of cesars, bloody beers and bloody marys, i found this commercial offering pretty enjoyable. as for any mouthfeel, i'm not sure how a tomatoe beer is supposed come off. i guess i find it just fine. therefore the drinkability is pretty good for this concoction. would be good with a hearty breakfast, some aspirin, and bloody mary for dessert after an evening of boozing it up.

i'm not sure that this should a reviewable beer on BA, because it's a beer cocktail, and not really a "style". and for those who KNOW that they find lager beer and tomato/clamato juice an offending mix, why bother reviewing this at all??

one more thing...this 24oz. can was three bucks, so if you have some clamato juice, tomato juice, or V8 on hand, why not just make your own with some cheap lager and save some $$?

anyway, i liked this budweiser chelada just fine, and it washed down some homemade sausage quite well, thank you.

budgood1, Jan 18, 2008