Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007

I had the Bud Light Chelada and found it to be horrid. Could Budweiser Chelada be as bad?

Has a pinkish orange color with a practically non-existent head. Reminds me of the color of the chum used in the movie "Jaws". Smells vile. Clam juice, tomato juice, and cooked rice? This is not a good combination.

The taste is nothing to write home about. With the clam juice, I can't help but to compare it to the chum used in "Jaws". True, I never tasted or smelled chum, but could this be much different? The worse part about this is the clam and tomato combination. Who thought that was a good idea? The cooked rice is all to familiar from regular Bud. This is a disaster.

Mouthfeel? Drinkability? Who is kidding who? Just stay away from this mess.

1.98/5  rDev -2.5%

I'll admit it, I do like a red beer now and then, but this one pretty much fails, mostly because I'm not a big fan of Clamato, I usually just use V8 and Budweiser, with some salt and Frank's Red Hot and they taste much better than this.

Pours a light red or pink color, thin pink head. A tad cloudy.

Smelled like tomato juice, with a sort of fermented fish on the back end, which I assume to be the "clam".

Tasted like the smell, a watery tomato juice with a slightly salty rotten clam aftertaste. That's why I don't like Clamato juice, maybe if fresh clam juice was used I would enjoy the Tomato juice/Clam juice mix, but it just doesn't work in Clamato.

I'll stick to my own concoction for red beers. This fails.

4.33/5  rDev +113.3%

pours out of the 24 oz. can a pinkish tinged tomato red colour. you can smell the salt tinged clamato juice in the beer. no real lime aromas that i can tell. nice clamato flavours of tomato and black pepper. hints of lime and salt just as the label on the can pronounces. as an occasional drinker of cesars, bloody beers and bloody marys, i found this commercial offering pretty enjoyable. as for any mouthfeel, i'm not sure how a tomatoe beer is supposed come off. i guess i find it just fine. therefore the drinkability is pretty good for this concoction. would be good with a hearty breakfast, some aspirin, and bloody mary for dessert after an evening of boozing it up.

i'm not sure that this should a reviewable beer on BA, because it's a beer cocktail, and not really a "style". and for those who KNOW that they find lager beer and tomato/clamato juice an offending mix, why bother reviewing this at all??

one more thing...this 24oz. can was three bucks, so if you have some clamato juice, tomato juice, or V8 on hand, why not just make your own with some cheap lager and save some $$?

anyway, i liked this budweiser chelada just fine, and it washed down some homemade sausage quite well, thank you.

A - Hazy orange/pink like watered down tomato juice.

S - Mostly tomato. Some clams I guess.

T - Salty, a bit sweet. Fizzy tomato juice... A bit tart and a light, light bitterness in the aftertaste. Some tomato.

M - Fizzy and pop/seltzer like.

D - Not bad actually, if you like this sort of thing. Obviously not especially beery. Good choice to use something relatively flavourless to mix with the tomato maybe... I probably won't be able to finish this 24 ouncer though. Classic case of it is what it is.

2.65/5  rDev +30.5%

Pours out a pinkish red that has just a touch of suds which dissapate quickly leaving a lacing of tomato around the rim of the glass.
Smell is clamato and celery without a hint of a lime.
Taste is tomato/clamato with other veggies like celery and potato. Can taste a little hot sauce.
Mouthfeel is not too bad. There is a little heat from the hot sauce.
This is a beer that I suppose you are to drink after a heavy drinking night to cure the hangoover but you are again drinking Bud so why not skip the tomato crap and head right for the budweiser!

3.55/5  rDev +74.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Red cloudy beer. No head and only tomato juice particles on the side of the glass.
Smells like tomato and lime.
Tastes like a beer clamato juice and lime. There is also a few drops of something like tobasco sauce.
Finishes fairly spicy.
Overall a tasty beer bloody mary.

1.08/5  rDev -46.8%

Only sampled a very small glass at a neighbors on Thanksgiving. Red and cloudy, like tomato soup with Sprite and milk mixed in.

Aroma is like concentrated Long Island Sound. Brine and spice with a distinct dead sea creature nuance.

Flavor is so bad I can scarsely describe it. Pain. Fear. Agony. This is what cancer tastes like.

Body is akin to tomato soup mixed with Diet Sprite. Filthy and undrinkable. This tastes like a terrorist plot.

Got from Scoobydank as part of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly BIF - damn you!!! Poured from a 16oz can (no dating info) into a shaker glass. This did not deserve a pint and I'll have throw away the shaker now that it's been tainted with this evil. It was a watered down bloody mary color. It was very cloudy and had layers to it. Just looked disgusting. It had no head at all. Just some light fizz that almost instantly evaporated. No visible carb or lacing.

The aroma was horrendous. I HATE tomato juice and detest clams so this one is pure hell. The smell alone made me gag. My wife got a huge kick out of watching me smell and taste this thing. She wouldn't try it herself - smart. I could barely get around the smell but I had to taste it since the Ugly in the BIF. Absolutely awful. Did I mention that I HATE tomato juice and clams! Could only get 2 large sips down before I had to drain pour. This is by far, the worst "beer" I have ever tasted. May it rot in hell!!!!

1.74/5  rDev -14.3%

22 oz. can "born-on" 8/14/07 and sampled when it was one month old. On the labeling, English is the second language, just like their target market for this brew. The beer is opaque and sediment-laden, with a color between that of tomato and pink grapefruit juice. It has medium carbonation and a very short-lived, pink head that reduces to nothing; and instead of lacing the glass, it deposits tomato particles. Tomatoes and a lime/clam mixture in the nose, with no discernible beer aroma. I'm not really looking forward to drinking this, but oddly enough, it makes my mouth salivate. Tastes of tomato, salt, and lime up front, backed by shellfish, and perhaps some pepper and celery seed, all mixed with a slight Budweiser flavor, on top of a standard Budweiser body. An interesting brew to say the least, but, overall.... bleech.

1.78/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours cloudy orange-pink in color, with no head.

Aroma is tomato, celery salt, and an odd musty quality.

Taste is tomato, celery, a touch of hot sauce and soda water. Finish holds the strange musty quality from the nose.

Mouthfeel is thin and spritzy.

Not worth trying again.

3.26/5  rDev +60.6%

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Chilled to approx 38 degrees (Warmed while drinking)
22oz Can purchased in Kansas (Full-strength)
(I actually love traditional 'hand-made' Cheladas. Let's see if this pre-packaged version can compare.)

This isn't starting off very well. Looks like any average BMC macro lager with a medium-shade pink tint to it. A 'real' Chelada looks alot more like tomato juice or something. This looks like pink grapefruit soda. The head was about thre-fingers tall, but receded quite rapidly. Lacing is practically non-existent.

The smell is much better, actually. A good dose of Clamato presence is here. (I love Clamato.) The lime and salt presence are somewhat light, but at least they are detected. Below that is the Alka-Seltzer/corniness of an average macro.

Sadly, I can tell that a decent Chelada just might be hiding in this can. Unfortunately, A-B seems to have covered it/destroyed it with a big dose of sugarey sweetness. Too much corn sweetner was added, I'd guess. The lager taste is offset by the wonderful tomato juice-like taste. Then the lime and salt come into play and everything starts working. Just as you are getting ready to enjoy it though, in comes an abnormal and un-needed sweetness to destroy it.

It's a medium body and has a medium level of carbonation. It works okay, but is actually on the thin side of what it should be, traditionally.

Overall, I guess that I'll keep making my own. They taste much better. If I drank a couple of them everyday, this might work out, but I only drink them about a dozen times a year.

1.72/5  rDev -15.3%

16oz can from Tiger Town in Gardiner. Pours a pinkish-red fairly opaque body with large bubble head that dissipates quickly. Smells like tomato with lime. Tastes like tomato, clam, with hints of lime. Medium in body with low carbonation. Not horrible I guess, but not what I'm looking for out of a beer.

Every few times that I log on to BA, I always make a point to stop by and read some of the Chelada reviews. Some of them are so laugh out loud funny, that I have, on occasion, been brought to tears. Truth be told, after reading the negative ones, I've often asked myself if something can really be as bad as this. I mean, I'll try just about anything (beer or otherwise) and most things I find edible and more often than not, enjoyable. So, when I was in Peekskill Beverage earlier today, picking up a sampling of seasonal beers (and man, Peekskill has really upped their craft selection nicely), I spotted a 24 ouncer of Chelada peeking at me from the cooler. Why not?, I asked....and now the only question is WHY?!? I kid you not....I still gag when I think about what I put in my mouth over two hours ago. And it wasn't much, maybe 3-4 oz. The rest was a drainpour. This is the most vile, evil, putrid stuff that resides on God's green earth. I am fully aware that in some Latin countries, this mixture is often pleasing. However, AB's attempt to mass market this stuff is an absolute abomination. You've been warned...

1.24/5  rDev -38.9%

Oh, dear. I never thought I'd have the "privilege" to review this, but after my friend and I had put off tasting this (or pranking some friends with it) as a joke purchase, we decided to crack it open once and for all, after "aging" it for 8 months. I made sure to spin the can around to get the gleeful addition of Clamato residue throughout the whole pour. Poured out of a 500ml can into a tulip glass.

Looks really watery, and easily resembles the coloration of tomatoes after you've squeezed out all the juice possible from them. In other words, pinkish, slightly pale (straw), cloudy, and very unappetizing in nature. There was a surprisingly high amount of head that went with this, but it faded extremely rapidly in a seltzer-like watery manner. It doesn't really look very good. I'd give it a higher score but its look almost prevented me from going on.

While the smell has been heavily criticized by others, it actually isn't too bad in my view. It smells a lot like a gazpacho, which I enjoy. Notes of tomatoes, cilantro, celery, basil, lemon, and a slight saltiness. No fishy smell, no artificial feel, or any off-notes overall for that matter. Maybe the near year of aging has settled things overall? It's not great, but it perhaps won't cause any natural decay of any living beings that approach it just yet.

The flavor just might, however. This is awful. Notes of slimy tomatoes, old celery and cilantro, as well as a pervasive onion and garlic aroma that melds with a slightly salty, briny texture that must be from the clams. At first it wasn't so horrible, but then the aftertaste contained a mildly skunky, sulfurous note from the adjuncts, as well as a gritty, grainy flavor that melds with the briny qualities to horrific results. I took perhaps three sips before I started to gag. Thin, spritzy, with a texture that is pretty much the *opposite* reason why anyone would drink beer. This made me very sad.

I knew this would be horrible, but it's honestly an offensive tribute to Mexican micheladas, which are rather good, depending on how you make them. I've no clue who InBev was trying to cater to with this other than those that don't like beer, those who are okay with a dumbed down version of a michelada, and woeful sado-masochists such as myself. NOT FOR FANS OF BEER!

Pour: Very Bubbly and carbonated
Nose: Yeast, malt, tomato and spice
Taste: Tomatoey with hints of malt and yeast. No balance to this beer.
Body Thin and the mouthfeel is sloppy
Finish: Very Bitter
Overall: Had better tomato beer than this. Awful, not tasty

Never had this one either and also sampled last night on 8/18/14. This one came in a 25 ounce can for $2.39. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage "Budwesier' thumb print glass goblet that I bought for 59 cents about a mont ago at the local Salvation Army Store in 'like-new' condition.

Pours a pinkish-red in color with no head to speak of and no lacing to mention either. The aroma is would be expected and is of 'beer and tomato juice'. More going on with the taste as you can taste the lime and salt in the mix also. A little tangy on the tongue. Not as bad as i did except but not a great one either. It is different.

1.03/5  rDev -49.3%

haven't opened it yet. reminding myself to keep an open mind, to be objective; though i must admit i'm slightly apprehensive. clam + tomato + bud? good lord. i have forged a tolerance for V8 over the years; maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised.

tallboy served in a standard pint glass.

pours a cloudy pink grapefruit-like tone with a finger of whitish head. very low retention - almost instantly dissipates; no lacing. little things floating it in. that's not too encouraging.

nose (i.e. strench) offers budweiser, vegetable juice, salty low tide, decay, and unrealized dreams. truly unappetizing. judging from the aroma this might be appropriately served by the couple drowned in the ocean by leslie nielsen's character in the creepshow - turning them into zombies covered in seaweed. maybe the taste will be be an improvement.

sweet Jesus. oh momma. the taste! it's hard to describe, this flavor. it's like... if one were to drink V8, have a bud, chug down some sea water, eat clams, eat day-old roadkill, then vomit everything up and serve it in a pint glass. truly the most vile, nasty beverage - not merely beer, but BEVERAGE - i've ever had the misfortune to consume. can't speak to the finish as my gag relex kicked in; had to shove past my wife en route to the sink and violently expel the atrocity from my marred palate.

thin, unimpressive mouthfeel. drinkability couldn't be worse. to me the premise here amounts to the Frankenstein of beer: good intentions, good parts coming together and going horribly, horribly wrong. strike that... clam juice is not a good part. well, i guess this just isn't for me.

1.4/5  rDev -31%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

For some reason I've been on a quest to drink macros lately solely to review. I was walking through the supermarket today and decided I was finally gonna get this stuff. I was so embarassed walking around with it. Normally I'm very proud of my beer, but I was just hoping there weren't any beer geeks in the store that were gonna laugh at me. Anyway, here goes...

Pours an orangey/pink color and is opaque. There is a small pink head that quickly dissipates to leave residue all around the glass.

The aroma is interesting. Spicey tomato, kind of like a bloody mary. It's kind of salty, some alcohol. I can't pick out the fishy or lime that other people have mentioned, but it's probably there.

Taste is interesting. Definitely tomato, but it's wierd because of the carbonation. A clamy aftertaste and some definite salt. Lime as it enters the mouth. I dont' think I taste the Budweiser really.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with a good deal of carbonation.

Drinkability is incredibly low. The combination of flavors just isn't doing it for me. I've consumed a good portion of the can for this review and it's starting to make me feel sick. Incredibly odd. I am however glad I tried it, and will probably eventually get around to trying the Bud light and clamato.

Budweiser Chelada, I dedicate my 69th review to you!

3.7/5  rDev +82.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

OK, this is how it is....this concoction as it now sits was also know as "The Hair of the Dog" and was widely consumed on many a Sunday morn.
A lifesaver.
Stick a celery stock in this baby and a couple of pinches of salt..not bad at all.

I like it!

Colour: cloudy red/orange
Taste: good...just needs extra salt and you can kill the lime...maybe switch the clamato for tomato juice..or not.
Aroma:clamato juice
Mouthfeel:brings back fond memories..until I wonder where I left my car.

3.72/5  rDev +83.3%

Poured from a 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

Let me start off by saying it's difficult to rate this beer with the point system; there's nothing really to compare this beer to except homemade cocktails as this isn't really a style.

A - Pinkish red, opaque. Soda-like head tries to form upon pouring but swirls into nothing.

S - Pepper, garlic/onion, with a hint of beer. Tomato as well obviously, though I don't detect any clam or lime.

T - I really enjoy this as a beverage, but not so much on a beer level; then again it's not exactly "a beer." For anyone who's had a Bloody Mary or any beer based cocktail in the same family, that's exactly what this tastes like. Perfect tomato-based blend of salt, pepper, garlic/onion, and a small citric note is noticable though I wouldn't necessarily recognize it as lime. It's got a little heat to it in the finish, and the beer does a nice job of thinning the drink out and adding an extra layer of flavor, not to mention the carbonation.

M - A nice balance of the creamy tomato juice and fizzy, thin, Bud.

D - This is not "a beer to be pounded all night," but it was never meant to me. It is however a good accompaniment to food, or perhaps a tasty remedy.

Again, the numerical scores should be taken with a grain of salt, and this is not a beer proper. Overall, it's tasty. You'll probably know if you're going to like this or not before you even taste it.

1.15/5  rDev -43.3%

Served in a pint glass

#11 on the Swill Fest

Pours a pink hazy color...dear God help me! Smell is of tomato, pepper and asshole. There may be sugar there, but I don't care to smell it anymore. There is the salty seawater smell there, why dear god why?! The taste is of DEATH! It won't go away! This is a terrible terrible flavor. It is a horrid drink, I don't know why it was made and Satan himself wouldn't serve this in hell. It feels bad and drinks bad. No person should ever do this to themselves. EVER EVER EVER. Sweet Jesus this is awful! I am not drinking this!

1.46/5  rDev -28.1%

Clam Juice= Terrible
Tomato Juice= Terrible

This can't end good. So what I gather from talking to a few people, this is similar to the bloody mary to cure a hangover thing. Unfortunately, I'll be drinking this as my first beer of the day in the early afternoon.

I refuse to taint my glasses with this mess, so I will be drinking this directly from the 24 oz can it comes in. Thus, the appearance will receive a 3 to be fair. I would do the same for the aroma, but as soon as I crack the can, the stench emitting from it is overpowering. I'll put it like this, after taking a sip, my wife refused to kiss me and told me to go brush my teeth first.

As I take my first sip, I remind myself to remain objective despite my prior assumptions of the beer. Didn't take long for the preconceived notion to come to fruition though. This is going to take awhile to get down.

All I'm getting is clamato. I ask myself maybe I was supposed to shake it. I examine the can and see "Ino Agite! Do not Shake. Rotate gently to mix" DOH!! Can't rotate it gently now so I pour it into one of those cheap plastic cup you get as souvenirs from places. There is all kinds of shit floating in this. Bits of tomato and clam? I just threw up in my mouth a little.

It also smells worse now. The can actually did it justice. Kept the aroma back and hid all the shit suspended in it.

Pouring it into the cup did let some of the Budweiser come through, but clamato still dominates. This shit sucks. I told myself I would finish it no matter what, but this is gonna be tough.

This beer is terrible. Ticker or not, I'd try to avoid this one if I were you.

1.19/5  rDev -41.4%

drabmuh pulled this one out and slapped this motherfucker down on his bar like he meant business. If he were not such an intimidating man that grinned ominously at myself and Mr. Huhzubendah while he cracked this 24oz monster, I would have pulled a Jenny from Forest Gump and prayed to thine Lord to make me a bird so that I could fly far far away.

This review is going to be pretty straight forward. Humor me for a moment and imagine that you combined Budweiser, tomato juice and clam juice into a 24oz can and named it Budweiser Chelada. Now imagine that for some goddamn reason that the world's largest brewer actually did this. This my friends in my reality as I am about to sample this nectar.

Poured into....does this really matter? I actually feel bad for whatever glass in my collection that I used to sample this beverage. I will make it up to if you let me drink from you again.

Looks like someone splashed some marco-lager in some V8. Not the worst looking thing, but this looks more like a cocktail than a beer.

Smell is right on par with what you would imagine these 3 storied liquids in once vessel to smell like. Unlike Huhzubendah, I'm not the most cultured man of life, but I think of myself as somewhat open minded. Perhaps in some region of life this is an enjoyed beverage by a cluster of beer lovers gathered in someone home, but right now in Hyatsville, MD, this beer is not getting much love in the front bar of drabmuh's home.

Taste is unsettling at best as Budweiser is the most enjoyable portion of the flavor profile. The tomato is certainly there, but surprisingly it is doing nothing positive in this concoction. Now we get to the main event...what the people really want to know about...the clam juice. As startling as it may be, the addition of clam juice into this bitch is even more revolting than I could have even imagined. Just thinking about how old this juice is and where it could have possibly come from is making me wish that my parents would have been able to utilize one of the many technologically and medically advanced forms of birth control such as pulling out.

This is thick as fuck and a drinkable as the computer on which I type this beautiful prose.

Certainly a milestone, but one that should be enjoyed with extreme caution unless you are already a fan of this particular style of adult beverage.

1.51/5  rDev -25.6%

Just recently moved out to LA and this seems to be pretty popular out here, especially among the Hispanic population. A lot of my coworkers say that they drink this so I thought I'd give it a try. Surprisingly cheap.

Poured from the 24oz can into a large mug.

A: The beer is a pure cloudy red with a tannish 2.5 finger head with pretty poor retention. I've never seen anything like this before. Strange coloration, but is actually exactly what you would expect tomato juice poured into beer to look like.

S: You can smell this on more than a foot away from the glass. Classic Budweiser smell of grain and corn first, but then comes the lime juice and then a hint of salty briny seawater, and last an overly sweet and peppery tomato-y fruity character that is not only fake, but smells like something you would regurgitate at the end of a rough night.

T: Tomato isn't actually as huge as I thought but it's a definite presence. Much more corn and lime and grain. It's very sickeningly sweet. Almost syrupy. Awful.

I will never drink this again but I guess it was good for the experience. Wow, what an experiment. It would be ok maybe if you made one of these yourself with natural ingredients, but this was just plain bad.

1.45/5  rDev -28.6%

So after reading a few reviews I decided to give this a try...big mistake

First of all, a tall boy will run you about $2.50
Secondly, the can says 'con sal y limon' aka with salt and lemon' which is complete bullshit
A: Looked exactly like tomato soup...honestly it looked better after I threw it into the intracoastal...even then, in brown ocean water mind you, it left a red trail

S: Salsa, tomato soup, salt...anything but beer in the nose

T: I kid you not, this beer literally tastes like tomato soup...if you are sick, pour out this can in a bowl, microwave it, and dip some saltines in it

MF: Very thick, slimy

D: Not a chance

Overall, this beer should not be called beer...the label and ingredients are completely misleading. I am now scared after drinking this beer resulting in a phobia of AB beers that are marketed as 'refreshing' or in spanish

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch