1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser & Clamato CheladaBudweiser & Clamato Chelada

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 219 | Reviews: 138 | Show All Ratings:
Wetpaperbag

Washington

1.02/5  rDev -48.7%

A big screw AKBelgianBeast for this one. It was part of my losings for the LNBA FF. And I've had the light version of this and I'm hating Frank in the worst way at the moment.

A- This beer is staring this evil stare at me, and it is making me feel very uncomfortable. It appears to be Satan's tears. This pinkish reddish fluid is not looking good.

S- Dear God! If only you can see me gag. I hate clamato juice so this one is just making me ready to vomit as is. There is a hint of beer with this foul clam tomato juice concoction.

T- Shit, I don't want to drink this. Seriously I should just pour this out and save my tastebuds from the low tide flavor to come. I'm actually having to psych myself up to drink this. Ok, deep breath and here we go. Up yours Frank. Why?!? Why?!?! Why did the AB company decide to blend tomato sauce with hooker poon tang? Was this beer brewed with vaginal yeast, and was the donor on the rag? This beer is horrid, if I could rate this there would be a minus score here. I literally almost blew chunks.

M- I was so focused on not vomiting, yet trying to taste the beer that I didn't get much of a mouthfeel.

D- Hell no, the only way you would think this is tasty and drinkable is if you are missing many teeth, get offended by Jeff Foxworthy redneck jokes, or are just from Montana.

03-24-2010 03:31:24 | More by Wetpaperbag
baos

Indiana

1.43/5  rDev -28.1%

24 oz can in dog-faced mug bought for my by my Jenny.

A: Pink and fizzy. Its this red pop?

S&T: Funny this reminds me of the odor and I once experienced after drinking several quarts of beer and other drinks and staying up all night to go to the breakfast club at grand prix weekend at Purdue university. They had big vats of bloody mary mix that they were serving to all the drunks that were up all night. They would just dip the cup hand arm and all into the vat and serve it up. It smelled and kind of tasted like this beer.
All that aside We have a strange concoction. Smells like clams, bloody mary, and a bit of lime with a bad beer. Kind of smells like Datoyna Beach too. Tastes like it smells.

M: Thumbs down.

D: I had to dump it into a jar to save for cooking. I think this will be an awesome beer to cook and marinate with.

02-03-2008 04:47:21 | More by baos
Lunch

Maryland

1.18/5  rDev -40.7%

drabmuh pulled this one out and slapped this motherfucker down on his bar like he meant business. If he were not such an intimidating man that grinned ominously at myself and Mr. Huhzubendah while he cracked this 24oz monster, I would have pulled a Jenny from Forest Gump and prayed to thine Lord to make me a bird so that I could fly far far away.

This review is going to be pretty straight forward. Humor me for a moment and imagine that you combined Budweiser, tomato juice and clam juice into a 24oz can and named it Budweiser Chelada. Now imagine that for some goddamn reason that the world's largest brewer actually did this. This my friends in my reality as I am about to sample this nectar.

Poured into....does this really matter? I actually feel bad for whatever glass in my collection that I used to sample this beverage. I will make it up to if you let me drink from you again.

Looks like someone splashed some marco-lager in some V8. Not the worst looking thing, but this looks more like a cocktail than a beer.

Smell is right on par with what you would imagine these 3 storied liquids in once vessel to smell like. Unlike Huhzubendah, I'm not the most cultured man of life, but I think of myself as somewhat open minded. Perhaps in some region of life this is an enjoyed beverage by a cluster of beer lovers gathered in someone home, but right now in Hyatsville, MD, this beer is not getting much love in the front bar of drabmuh's home.

Taste is unsettling at best as Budweiser is the most enjoyable portion of the flavor profile. The tomato is certainly there, but surprisingly it is doing nothing positive in this concoction. Now we get to the main event...what the people really want to know about...the clam juice. As startling as it may be, the addition of clam juice into this bitch is even more revolting than I could have even imagined. Just thinking about how old this juice is and where it could have possibly come from is making me wish that my parents would have been able to utilize one of the many technologically and medically advanced forms of birth control such as pulling out.

This is thick as fuck and a drinkable as the computer on which I type this beautiful prose.

Certainly a milestone, but one that should be enjoyed with extreme caution unless you are already a fan of this particular style of adult beverage.

04-12-2011 20:23:00 | More by Lunch
SargeC

Japan

2.98/5  rDev +49.7%

Appearance: Rhubarb sauce colored liquid with a short-lived, fizzy pink head.

Smell: Hint of beer, tomatoes and a strange fishy smell.

Taste: Not totally bad. This would be good with breakfast. The beer flavors linger underneath the taste of vegetable juice. Slightly spicy finish with hints of lime.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Very chunky.

Drinkablity: I had to give it a try. Not too bad, but not a classic either.

03-21-2008 04:02:03 | More by SargeC
malty

1.35/5  rDev -32.2%

24 fluid ounces.

Looks almost exactly like pink grapefruit juice, but a couple shades darker. A light pink head erodes to just a mere halo. Lots of tiny suspended matter visible through this murky reddish-pink liquid.

Smells nothing like beer or any tomato concoction I've ever raised to my nostrils. More like bad B.O. beacuse I can detected sour, salt, musty & funky - all in a real bad way.

Taste: Salty - check. Tomato - actually there is a noticably (somewhat) accurate tomato balance that is zesty and a little spicy. Lime - yes, there is a sourness that *might* resemble lime - anyway, it's sour. Clam - how about an earthy funk that could taste like either a sun-rotten warm clam -OR- a pussing infected wound.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and very flat.

Drinkability is horrible. The remaining 20(ish) onces are heading for the kitchen sink as soon as I'm done.

Overall there are some redeeming qualities to this putrid offering, but it is mostly gut wrenching. The spiciness is a little appealing, because it does bring out some mediorce tomato essence - but that's where the 'good' ends. Maybe Jeffrey Dahmer would have liked this beer?

09-23-2009 19:42:34 | More by malty
TheKingofWichita

1.08/5  rDev -45.7%

I wonder who came up with the idea for this one. Bud is constantly putting out some odd stuff -- trying to push the envelope down people's throat.
This stuff is just plain odd. Pours a strange red color with fizz? Strange. Smells of tomatoes and some spices. Tastes of tomatoes and some burnt grain. Mouthfeel is thin and strangely chunky. Drinkability -- there isn't really any.

10-02-2010 18:16:56 | More by TheKingofWichita
Beastdog75

1.68/5  rDev -15.6%

Hmmm... Budweiser and Clamato together you say, brewed with a hint of salt and lime? Doesn't really sound at all that appetizing to me, so I wonder what compelled me to pick up a can of this. I guess I am compelled to try whatever strange offerings the big American macrobrewers try hawking at the beer purchasing public, and this definitely struck me as strange.

Bud Chelada pours a translucent coppery red color with two fingers of salmon colored foam that dissipates after about 45 seconds. The initial smell just smelled like regular Budweiser (or Bud Light) to me, but after a few more whiffs the tomato and clam aromas hit my nostrils. The mouthfeel was thin and fizzy, and simply put the beer tasted like a tomato soda. There was some hints of clam (and perhaps even some garlic-like taste) and it was slightly spicy as well. The flavors linger on for a bit in the finish and it fades out with no alcoholic warmth.

I didn't think it was too bad with my first few initial sips and the color was kind of interesting. However, the flavors soon settled in and this one was headed down the drain. I can only tolerate a few sips of this, so how am I supposed to down an entire 24 oz can of this? Definitely not recommended...

10-21-2008 05:01:42 | More by Beastdog75
TheTrevor

1.33/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I obtained this unholy concoction after seeing it sitting rather innocuously in the fridge at my local Beerporium. I know now that I had fallen into an elaborate trap to rape my tastebuds and possibly get rid of some ancient Campbell's tomato soup that was taking up space somewhere around the Budweiser factory. If you are thinking of picking up this beer, there is an important question to ask yourself. Say, "Self, have I ever had the craving to put some pretty mediocre beer into old tomato soup and then add clam byproducts and a half a pound of salt?". If you answered yes to that, seek help. If you answered no but are still curious, I have braved this demon solution and possibly lived to tell the tale. The beer poured a pinkish red with a large pink head. It visually reminds me of a cranberry gingerale I had once. Any similarities between this demon brew and a beverage end there. The smell is of tomatoes and clams, with a hint of what may be beer in the background. Since I don't normally mix seafood and fruits with my beer, this smell was not entirely appealing. The taste is tomato and humdrum beer followed by a clammy taste that is mercifully killed fairly quickly by the judicious amount of salt that was likely included in the beer to kill off any potentially lethal pathogens. The mouthfeel is like watered down carbonated tomato soup, and it's about as drinkable as you would expect watered down carbonated tomato soup to be. Since there are sober kids in Africa, I will down the rest of this beer. Let this review be my last will and testament if I don't survive the ordeal.

01-25-2008 04:36:22 | More by TheTrevor
shroompod

3.08/5  rDev +54.8%

After drinking so many good beers lately, I was forced to go slumming down the canned BMC section of Kroger's for an upcoming camping trip. Then I spied this repulsive sounding beer.

This beer has a sickly orange pink glow to it. Strange pink head that dissipates quickly. Quite a bit of tomato floaties.

Aroma is tomatoes, not much else.

This beer tastes like a decent Bloody Mary. Some peppery spices , a hint of lime , very salty.

Mouthfeel is about what I'd expect?? A little too carbonated.

I'll probably drink more of these, most likely in the morning. Maybe a little pricey considering the ingredients.

04-30-2008 17:11:18 | More by shroompod
alkemy

3.48/5  rDev +74.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a "bloody beer" and I've had my share. You can smell and taste the lime in this, which I'm not a real fan of. Typically I'd rather take a Rolling Rock and mix it with some Clamato and Tabasco myself, but this serves a purpose. Has a little more "beer" taste than the light version of this. I like it just fine. Goes great the morning after being over served.

02-02-2010 15:49:27 | More by alkemy
Brez07

Maine

1.6/5  rDev -19.6%

Reviewed in the Blind Beer BIF. 24oz can poured into a MBC glass

A:  Dark peach/puke color with a head that is gone before I could even measure it.  Couldn't even get any back with a swirl. No lace (2)

S:  Oh dear god.  It's like a Bloody Mary with a can of tuna juice dropped in.  Or wait, spaghettios! Regardless, since this is beer, it's flat out awful (1)

T: Carbonated bloody Mary and/or liquid spaghettios.  To replacate this beer, put some spaghettios in a blender and add seltzer and BOOM... you have this beer.  Just repulsive (2)

M:  Ummm, uber thin with decent amount of carb (2)

D: Tuuuuribbble.  Would never buy this.  Shouldn't be considered beer. Only drank about 4oz before drainpouring. Offered to other people at my apartment and they also passed (1)

06-11-2011 02:28:57 | More by Brez07
BeerBob

Nebraska

4.3/5  rDev +116.1%

Budweiser & Clamato “Chelada” pours a Clamato red from a 1 pint 8 fl. Oz. Brightly Lithographed Pop top Aluminum can. Head went to over two fingers, before disappearing completely.

Nose is a bit metallic, but not offensive, followed by whiffs of tomato and clam.

Palate is a smooth spicy tomatoes and clam juice, followed by the bight of carbonation.

A delicious blend of “Budweiser & Clamato”. For breakfast with a Western omelet, or lunch with hot dogs, and /or supper with just about anything!

I like this, I like this a lot!

08-26-2007 00:05:36 | More by BeerBob
SetarconeX

1.58/5  rDev -20.6%

Looks almost exactly like a glass of cranberry ginger ale. In retrospect, I much rather would have had a glass of that. Smells strongly of tomato juice, and slightly of clams, which is what I remember Clamato smelling like. Has a strange soda-like fizz to it as well.

Tastes a lot like someone was going to make a Bloody Mary, but couldn't find any vodka, so they used Budweiser instead. Then used way too much salt. Then decided to juice assorted sea creatures into the mix. The lime the can claims is in there seems strangely nonexistent. If it did exist, I'm not sure it would help.

I've never had the misfortune of drinking a glass of fish blood, but I expect this is what it tastes like.

This is not a beer. This is the worst Bloody Mary ever created. Avoid it like the plague.

12-21-2007 17:24:03 | More by SetarconeX
Soneast

Wisconsin

I'll admit it, I do like a red beer now and then, but this one pretty much fails, mostly because I'm not a big fan of Clamato, I usually just use V8 and Budweiser, with some salt and Frank's Red Hot and they taste much better than this.

Pours a light red or pink color, thin pink head. A tad cloudy.

Smelled like tomato juice, with a sort of fermented fish on the back end, which I assume to be the "clam".

Tasted like the smell, a watery tomato juice with a slightly salty rotten clam aftertaste. That's why I don't like Clamato juice, maybe if fresh clam juice was used I would enjoy the Tomato juice/Clam juice mix, but it just doesn't work in Clamato.

I'll stick to my own concoction for red beers. This fails.

11-08-2008 19:59:43 | More by Soneast
mtstatebeer

West Virginia

1.1/5  rDev -44.7%

24 oz. can. Pours a watery orange-red color with no head. Aroma of tomato almost made me vomit. I was hesitant to drink, but had to give it a whirl. I'm not a big tomato juice fan, not a big Budweiser fan, and not a fan of this beer. Another reason not to fruit your beer.

09-03-2008 01:44:25 | More by mtstatebeer
mattster

2.7/5  rDev +35.7%

I was in the grocery buying some better beer, saw this and thought I would try it as to see how it was.

The color was a muddy red, like Clamato. The smell was overly Clamato as well.

Quite a heavy mouth feel due to the higher density of the beer.

Poured it into a standard pint glass. The taste was more Clamato than beer. This was the first time that I've had BUD that I didn't get sick about an hour after drinking it, but it still has that Bud lack of flavor that keeps me from buying the brand.

09-09-2007 12:02:32 | More by mattster
OldSchoolGamer

3.7/5  rDev +85.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Based on the reviews of this beer, I seem to be the only one that enjoys this. I admit, I like Bloody Marys and tomato juice. I feel this isn't getting fair treatment as this is an Anheuser-Busch product. So, I personally feel a lot of the scores this beer is getting are quite biased. Anyways, here is my review:

A: Pours a murky orange-red color. Lots of suspended sediment from the clamato juice. Head fizzles away withing seconds. Pretty much looks like a typical Bloody Beer.

S: Smells pretty much like tomato juice. Some spicyness can be detected.

T: No this beer does not have any off flavors. There is no metal, rotten clam, or vomit flavors in this beer. The accusations are quite exaggerated. It pretty much tastes like a Bloody Mary in a can. Lots of tomato juice flavor. Lots of lime and salt. Finish is also quite spicy. I usually put some Tabasco sauce in here for added spicyness. Overall, a very good tasting Bloody Beer.

M: A little heavier in the mouth due to the clamato juice. Prett much drinks like a typical lager. Lots of carbonation and somewhat watery.

D: This beer is one of the most addicting beers I have had. Seriously, I could drink this almost every day. Very easy drinking and quite sessionable.

I actually like this beer more than my score indicates. I had to knock it down a little as there really is no 'beer' flavors present here. I would call this more of a mixed drink than a beer. If you like Bloody Marys or tomato juice, I highly recommend this one. Splash in some Tabasco and garnish with a stick of celery and enjoy.

06-17-2009 17:57:02 | More by OldSchoolGamer
youngleo

A- Poured to a very bubbly head that disappeared before I put the can down. Looked like a watered down version of tomato soup.
S- Smelled of tomato juice, salsa, and spices or pepper. T- Tasted like s---. (you can fill in the blanks). Had a hot after taste. Also tasted like watered down tomato soup.
M- Terrible, I was afraid to swallow after it was in my mouth for fear of puking. To much carbonation. Very watery.
D- Are you kidding, I threw the can and product away, even though it was a 10 cent deposit. I felt like I needed drano to get rid of the taste. Do not waste your money. This shoudnt even be on this web sight, this product does not even resemble beer in any form.

01-15-2008 20:51:37 | More by youngleo
tbeck

Washington

2.1/5  rDev +5.5%

Picked this up from a local grocery store.

Pours a light reddish orange with a thin white head that dissipated quickly leaving no collar. Aroma was of tomato juice and a slight hint of barley. Taste was a red beer. Watery texture. This is not a good beer, but it does have a place it beats making my own red beer. Not great as a beer, but decent in its own right.

10-04-2008 03:19:26 | More by tbeck
danadeny

Colorado

1.55/5  rDev -22.1%

Oh my god. How many people at Budweiser did this product go through, and not one of them said "this sucks" or "why are we doing this" or "is this supposed to taste good". Here is all the review you need to know. Beer + tomato juice + salt. AND it's even advertised on the can that this is beer WITH SALT. So it tastes like a weak watered down bloody marry further watered down with beer, then a ton of salt on top that. I just can't believe how this product made it to store shelves. Think about what that takes (business decision, brewing, marketing, and manufacturing of finished can product). Most brewpubs and micro breweries have a hard enough time getting their stuff in bottles and sold in stored and this SH*T makes it.

03-13-2008 20:47:29 | More by danadeny
porterwoobie

poured from a 24oz bottle into a standard pint glass

A: reddish color, looks like a bloody mary

S: like V-8 mixed with a typical american light lager. i'm already dreading the taste.

T: yup. i think i puked in my mouth a little.

MF: honesty, it didn't stay in my mouth long enough to get a sense. i had it in my mouth and was instantly chasing it with some liquor to burn my taste buds.

Drinkability: not at all and never again.

to be honest, i don't like bloody mary's or clams. it was doomed right from the start.

05-16-2009 19:26:42 | More by porterwoobie
msolar

I said the same thing about the Bud Light version - Worst... beer... ever.

We bought a can of this because it sounds so disgusting we were intrigued. It didn't let us down. We had 9 people taste it and only one person liked it enough to finish the can for us (he's living in Montana and said "red beer" is often served at bars). This beer is the most disgusting beverage (let alone beer) I have tasted in a very long time.

08-24-2008 18:54:47 | More by msolar
watchnerd

1.75/5  rDev -12.1%

If you’ve ever had a red eye (beer and tomato juice), this is Bud’s Mexicanized variant using Clamato. If you like red eyes, you might like this (although a friend of mine who likes red eyes didn’t). You can’t really think of it as beer, per se, more like a Clamato based cocktail in a can. Actually pretty refreshing. A good morning drink en lieu of a mimosa or bloody mary. You can chug it like Gatorade, too. Much better than regular Bud.

01-13-2008 23:00:20 | More by watchnerd
CowsCanBark

1.15/5  rDev -42.2%

Poured from a 24 oz. can into Samuel Adams glass. Sorry, Samuel Adams, your product deserves better.

Appearance: Well, it pours nice. A nice ruby red grapefruit juice hue flows out of the can, but slightly more red. This is accompanied by a light pink two-finger head that immediately dissipates into complete nothingness. Very mild and sporatic spotting left on the glass from what I could choke down.

Smell: Beer and tomato juice

Taste: Well...this...this is just horrible. Extremely sweet and salty Budweiser mixed with sea water, marinara sauce, and clams. I could replicate this by going to the Jersey shore with a glass half-full of Budweiser, dunking it into the ocean, and dropping a clam into the glass to marinate. Add a mild hint of cilantro and lime, and this is what you have. I could see how people would like this (my girlfriend continues to sip on it), but it's just not for me.

Mouthfeel: Ugh, do I really need to taste this again to get a mouthfeel? Light body, moderate carbonation, would be an easy drinker if it wasn't for the taste, but I guess it works for what it is.

Overall: An atrocity of a beer that I can understand how others would enjoy it, but it's just not for me. Ugh, NEVER again.

02-12-2012 03:18:33 | More by CowsCanBark
pwoody11

Delaware

1.5/5  rDev -24.6%

Budweiser=Terrible
Clam Juice= Terrible
Tomato Juice= Terrible

This can't end good. So what I gather from talking to a few people, this is similar to the bloody mary to cure a hangover thing. Unfortunately, I'll be drinking this as my first beer of the day in the early afternoon.

I refuse to taint my glasses with this mess, so I will be drinking this directly from the 24 oz can it comes in. Thus, the appearance will receive a 3 to be fair. I would do the same for the aroma, but as soon as I crack the can, the stench emitting from it is overpowering. I'll put it like this, after taking a sip, my wife refused to kiss me and told me to go brush my teeth first.

As I take my first sip, I remind myself to remain objective despite my prior assumptions of the beer. Didn't take long for the preconceived notion to come to fruition though. This is going to take awhile to get down.

All I'm getting is clamato. I ask myself maybe I was supposed to shake it. I examine the can and see "Ino Agite! Do not Shake. Rotate gently to mix" DOH!! Can't rotate it gently now so I pour it into one of those cheap plastic cup you get as souvenirs from places. There is all kinds of shit floating in this. Bits of tomato and clam? I just threw up in my mouth a little.

It also smells worse now. The can actually did it justice. Kept the aroma back and hid all the shit suspended in it.

Pouring it into the cup did let some of the Budweiser come through, but clamato still dominates. This shit sucks. I told myself I would finish it no matter what, but this is gonna be tough.

This beer is terrible. Ticker or not, I'd try to avoid this one if I were you.

01-05-2011 19:36:19 | More by pwoody11