Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007

3.14/5  rDev +54.7%

It was way better than expected. Not quite a "red" beer. Color is similar to watermellon juice; kind of pink. Soda pop foam when poured with no head or lace. Very pronounced Clamato aroma - fishy and tomatoey.. Ditto with the flavor. Not that bad, though, really. Actually I like it much better than a shandy. Wonder how it'd be using a weiss beer as a base instead of macro lagar. The Clamato totally dominates the Bud. Got it at a quick mart in North Miami Beach. Has almost no beer character. As far as being a great beer, the can says "drink alone or as a mixer". Read into that as you wish.

2.1/5  rDev +3.4%

Picked this up from a local grocery store.

Pours a light reddish orange with a thin white head that dissipated quickly leaving no collar. Aroma was of tomato juice and a slight hint of barley. Taste was a red beer. Watery texture. This is not a good beer, but it does have a place it beats making my own red beer. Not great as a beer, but decent in its own right.

After seeing this "beer" on several occasions, I decided to try it. The mere premise of beer mixed with Clamato is repulsive, but I have to admit I like the stuff. Keep in mind, this isn't beer by any definition: it's more like a fizzy bloody mary. Quite frankly, there is nothing to compare it to, but it's kind of strangely addictive. Besides, I feel healthier knowing it's mixed with tomato and clam juice. Beer? No. Wierd? Yes. Worth trying? Absolutely. By the way, I have had several of these over the past few weeks and there is no way in Hell I would pour it in a glass. I like the taste, but I'm certain the sight of this stuff in a glass would make me want to puke.

Got from Scoobydank as part of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly BIF - damn you!!! Poured from a 16oz can (no dating info) into a shaker glass. This did not deserve a pint and I'll have throw away the shaker now that it's been tainted with this evil. It was a watered down bloody mary color. It was very cloudy and had layers to it. Just looked disgusting. It had no head at all. Just some light fizz that almost instantly evaporated. No visible carb or lacing.

The aroma was horrendous. I HATE tomato juice and detest clams so this one is pure hell. The smell alone made me gag. My wife got a huge kick out of watching me smell and taste this thing. She wouldn't try it herself - smart. I could barely get around the smell but I had to taste it since the Ugly in the BIF. Absolutely awful. Did I mention that I HATE tomato juice and clams! Could only get 2 large sips down before I had to drain pour. This is by far, the worst "beer" I have ever tasted. May it rot in hell!!!!

1.1/5  rDev -45.8%

24 oz. can. Pours a watery orange-red color with no head. Aroma of tomato almost made me vomit. I was hesitant to drink, but had to give it a whirl. I'm not a big tomato juice fan, not a big Budweiser fan, and not a fan of this beer. Another reason not to fruit your beer.

I said the same thing about the Bud Light version - Worst... beer... ever.

We bought a can of this because it sounds so disgusting we were intrigued. It didn't let us down. We had 9 people taste it and only one person liked it enough to finish the can for us (he's living in Montana and said "red beer" is often served at bars). This beer is the most disgusting beverage (let alone beer) I have tasted in a very long time.

1.03/5  rDev -49.3%

Ever since i heard of this, I just had to try it. I don't know, I'm a sucker for pain. Plus, I had an absolutely devastating meal at Roy Rogers and instead of having to run to the loo on separate occasions, I figured I'd combine the two. 16oz can into my 12oz snifter.

A: Pink grapefruit pour with a massive white head that recedes almost as fast as the head on a soda. There's shit floating around in the beer and this looks ominous. Swirling this leaves a bunch of vegetative sediment on the side of the glass

S: Someone threw an unripened tomato, a cucumber, some salt and pepper into a blender. Maybe if i take a deep breath, I could get some corn from the bud but heck, i'd be comatose by then. Positively revolting and I'm not exaggerating.

T: Sweet corn, tomato, salt, cucumber, onion. Fuck it, give me a V8 instead. This is *horrendous*, beats the Michelob Ultra Pomegranate Raspberry hands down

M: I'd tell you if i swished it around but I couldn't bring myself to.

D: Why would you do this? I mean why?

Notes: I'm going to contradict myself and say that you need to try this. Just make sure that as you pour this down the drain, you only have cold water running - any hot water causes the release of volatiles and nausea on inhalation.

1.05/5  rDev -48.3%

Never had before, so I figured I'd try before I bash. Poured from a classy 24 oz. can, "beer" pours a hazy red color and has no head. Doesn't resemble a beer. The smell is a nasty mix of tomatoes, budweiser and sprite. The taste is terrible - makes me want to vomit. Mouthfeel is fairly viscous and has almost no carbonation. This is a complete drain pour for me. I hate tomatoe juice and if I had been smart enough to put "clamato" together I may have realized that this wasn't for me. I remember my dad telling me stories of mixing Colt 45 with V8 juice, I imagine he may like this - but I think it's horrible.

3.72/5  rDev +83.3%

Poured from a 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

Let me start off by saying it's difficult to rate this beer with the point system; there's nothing really to compare this beer to except homemade cocktails as this isn't really a style.

A - Pinkish red, opaque. Soda-like head tries to form upon pouring but swirls into nothing.

S - Pepper, garlic/onion, with a hint of beer. Tomato as well obviously, though I don't detect any clam or lime.

T - I really enjoy this as a beverage, but not so much on a beer level; then again it's not exactly "a beer." For anyone who's had a Bloody Mary or any beer based cocktail in the same family, that's exactly what this tastes like. Perfect tomato-based blend of salt, pepper, garlic/onion, and a small citric note is noticable though I wouldn't necessarily recognize it as lime. It's got a little heat to it in the finish, and the beer does a nice job of thinning the drink out and adding an extra layer of flavor, not to mention the carbonation.

M - A nice balance of the creamy tomato juice and fizzy, thin, Bud.

D - This is not "a beer to be pounded all night," but it was never meant to me. It is however a good accompaniment to food, or perhaps a tasty remedy.

Again, the numerical scores should be taken with a grain of salt, and this is not a beer proper. Overall, it's tasty. You'll probably know if you're going to like this or not before you even taste it.

1.4/5  rDev -31%

As already stated, the concept of mixing beer and tomato/Clamato juice is nothing new. A "red eye" has been around for decades, and I don't believe its origins come from south of the border. I think AB went the "chelada" route because of recent trends, and the fact Clamato juice has really taken off in Mexico and Central America, and has become a huge market for Clamato. I'm a big fan of Clamato juice, I enjoy a red eye, so how bad could it be? This beer pours to a opaque pink color, with a pink head that quickly fades, and a vibrant carbonation. The nose on this beer is a mix of lime/Clamato which is nice if you like that, trouble is, most don't. The palate is salty, with Clamato flavor, which pretty masks any beer flavor. This beer ends with more Clamato/salty flavors, then ends with a hint of lime flavor and salt that lingers. Not a very good example of red eye. If you like Clamato (I love it) it is palatable for that reason alone. That being said, you would do far better making your own red eye with a better tasting beer, Clamato, or what ever tomato based juice you fancy. Worth a try for the curious, but not a beer I would ever purchase again.

1.06/5  rDev -47.8%

L:Light pink salmon color. What head there was is a white pinkish color. Very cloudy and very pink.
S:Smells like a salty runny tomato spaghetti sauce. Like a meaty spaghetti sauce that has gone rotten.
T:A dsiturbingly gross rotted meat. It taste like spaghetti sauce that has been watered down. A odd spice also lingers in my mouth.
M:Sharp fizz and really watery. To be honest, I could not keep it in my mouth long enough to get much of a good mouth feel.
D:Friggin awful. Absolutely the worst beer I have ever had. Poured out what was left.

Been wanting to try this one for a long time, glad I finally had the chance.

Appearance: Fizzy, hazy reddish-pink with no head retention.

Smell: Cilantro, parsley, tomatoes and faint seafood. Normally this would be appetizing to me, but this is beer we're talking about here, and it's cold. Kinda revolting.

Taste & mouthfeel: Salty tomato with a clammy kick. I can't really taste any actual beer flavors here, but Bud is pretty subtle stuff to begin with. Honestly, beer geekery aside, this is probably the worst beer I've ever tasted. It's every bit as bad as I was hoping it would be, possibly even moreso. My quest to find the worst beer ever made has come to an end. Now to grab a couple cans to cellar...

alright, I've had the bloody mary beer before, and they're not bad. Thought maybe this would be like that. I was wrong. It looks like someone vomited blood into a beer, and then it was packaged. A hint of clamato smell was expected, but I didn't expect it to smell like old rotten clams. I got nowhere near finishing this vile drink. I started to gag a few sips into it. Even typing this up almost made me throw up in my mouth. Homeless people would not drink this.

1.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Appears...pinkish red, fizzy in a bad way

Smells...mostly like tomato, a little like clam. Not a lot of beer smell. Maybe like dirty tomato juice.

Tastes...overpoweringly salty. Aside from the salt, I have to say it was not as bad as I expected. It tasted very much like a premixed, weak bloody mary. Tasted almost nothing like beer.

Mouthfeel...is like neither beer nor clamato juice. Not awful, but in no way beer-like.

Drinkability...is hurt by the saltiness, but otherwise is light and refreshing if it's very cold. I didn't finish the 24 oz can, but neither would I have finished a 24 oz Bud or a 24 oz Clamato juice.

Honestly, I bought this because it looked gross. It was ultimately not really that gross, though I don't see it being successful with the craft brew crowd. Worth a shot if you already like Bud and want a little spice, but don't want to step up to trying microbrews.

In sum, if the can looks good to you then you'll probably love it. If it looks bad to you, then pass.

Drank from a 24 oz. can. Bought this thinking it would taste like a michelada.

I know the rest of the U.S. probably hasn't heard of micheladas, but they are really good in the morning and are best served w/ a mexican beer such as Sol or Pacifico. touch of tomato juice, lots of lime, few shakes of salt and plenty of hot sauce (Valentina is the best for this).

A-B's version of this is NOT anywhere close to a michelada.

This abomination smells like clam poo-poo, if bivalves do indeed take a dump. The taste is even worse...I cant even begin to describe how nasty this is. I nearly wretch just trying to take a sip. How can they sell this stuff?

Mouthfeel is like a can of bud light that a dog has taken a crap in and left outside in 100 degree weather for 2 weeks.

Please avoid this at all costs, I beg you. Would never buy again, in fact I wouldnt drink a whole one of these if someone gave me 10 dollars. Worst thing I have ever tasted, no doubt.

24 oz can: Pours a weird looking cloudy orangish/amber color with a medium sized white head that diminishes into nothing. Aroma is bloody Mary mix and a little bit a grainy scent. Taste is salty, tomato, and a bit of a strange taste to it. Palate is tomato, salty, and rather strange for a beer to say the least. Overall, I kind of get the idea what Budweiser was going for. It just amazes me that they make this stuff rather than trying to make quality craft beer. Oh well...It's Budweiser. I'm sorry after trying to drink the rest of this can. Drain pour! Cheers!

3.7/5  rDev +82.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

OK, this is how it is....this concoction as it now sits was also know as "The Hair of the Dog" and was widely consumed on many a Sunday morn.
A lifesaver.
Stick a celery stock in this baby and a couple of pinches of salt..not bad at all.

I like it!

Colour: cloudy red/orange
Taste: good...just needs extra salt and you can kill the lime...maybe switch the clamato for tomato juice..or not.
Aroma:clamato juice
Mouthfeel:brings back fond memories..until I wonder where I left my car.

A - Hazy orange/pink like watered down tomato juice.

S - Mostly tomato. Some clams I guess.

T - Salty, a bit sweet. Fizzy tomato juice... A bit tart and a light, light bitterness in the aftertaste. Some tomato.

M - Fizzy and pop/seltzer like.

D - Not bad actually, if you like this sort of thing. Obviously not especially beery. Good choice to use something relatively flavourless to mix with the tomato maybe... I probably won't be able to finish this 24 ouncer though. Classic case of it is what it is.

This beer has nothing to recommend it. It wound up as a drain pour. Pours a dark pink color with a light pink head. The head is a weak fizzy one that fades fast. No lacing

Smells like clam juice with tomato. Taste is the same. Little or no taste of beer. You can't say the mouthfeel is too thin. The clam juice and tomato taste are thick, but again there is no hint of beer. Drinkability is terrible. I poured it down the sink after about 6 ounces. I would rather get a buzz off Listerine.

If you want to try something different that is widely criticized, get some Cave Creek Chile beer. More than likely you won't like it, but you will probably finish the bottle.

If I could have given this less than 1.0... I would have. I sampled this at Beer On The Pier 08. I wish I hadn't.

I enjoy the occational Bloody Mary, but this was something completely different. This was just wrong.

My recommendation... walk away. I imagine the creation of this was a plank that a couple of frat boys wanted to play on a buddy.

Joe - Hey, Frank. Come here. I've got a joke we can play on the new guy.

Frank - Cool. What is it.

Joe - Alright, lets take his bud and add tomato juice to it.

Frank - That's bad, but...

Joe - Wait, I wasn't done yet. Next we add clam juice to it.

Frank - I'm going to be sick.

1.72/5  rDev -15.3%

16oz can from Tiger Town in Gardiner. Pours a pinkish-red fairly opaque body with large bubble head that dissipates quickly. Smells like tomato with lime. Tastes like tomato, clam, with hints of lime. Medium in body with low carbonation. Not horrible I guess, but not what I'm looking for out of a beer.

3.02/5  rDev +48.8%

After drinking so many good beers lately, I was forced to go slumming down the canned BMC section of Kroger's for an upcoming camping trip. Then I spied this repulsive sounding beer.

This beer has a sickly orange pink glow to it. Strange pink head that dissipates quickly. Quite a bit of tomato floaties.

Aroma is tomatoes, not much else.

This beer tastes like a decent Bloody Mary. Some peppery spices , a hint of lime , very salty.

Mouthfeel is about what I'd expect?? A little too carbonated.

I'll probably drink more of these, most likely in the morning. Maybe a little pricey considering the ingredients.

1.89/5  rDev -6.9%

Uggh. Intensely repulsive. I understand that someone likes this, but who? It's a combination of mildly peppery and spicy clamato juice and beer. The fishy smell is repulsive, and the tomato doesn't help the flavor. But who can fault the beer? If A-B hadn't mixed it, the people who drink this stuff would have done it themselves!!! Ahghghhhh... it gives me shivers just thinking about it. I really don't think I could learn to drink this even if I was on a deserted island. But that's just me. So how do you judge this? I'm going to have to go with quickly!!!

1.57/5  rDev -22.7%

This beer is true to it's ingredients: Beer and tomato juice. The sharp acidic flavor of the tomato dominates the beer, leaving little appreciation of the timid lager characteristics. The carbonation amplifies the acidity of the beer, giving a harshness that makes drinking difficult. Pungent and diry throughout. The watery mouthfeel comes from a thinning of the tomato juice and giving an alka-selzer-like texture and taste. Nausiating at best; unfit for human consumption at worse. I render it undrinkable.

1.5/5  rDev -26.1%

Tomato juice has never crossed my lips. Neither has V-8. Nor clams. Nor clam juice. I have had Budweiser a few times and was... 'thoroughly disgusted' gets it about right. The clam juice, however, is what's making me more apprehensive about drinking this stuff than any beer (or beer-like beverage) that I've ever imbibed. That said, this review of Budweiser Chelada will be conducted with an open mind.

Murky coral that could also be described as pinkish orange. The head (hurry, before it's gone!) is pale pink and has an odd texture that resembles cotton candy. It falls to a thin film in less than a minute, is gone shortly after, and leaves the glass covered with a slimy film. Gotta be the clam juice. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Chelda smells nothing like beer. Not even close. It smells like watery crushed tomatoes and celery salt. There's also a faint fishiness that is, thankfully, so subtle that I am no longer afraid to tip the glass up. Well, not much anyway. No lime is noted.

After the smallest sip possible... it isn't completely revolting. Nor is it enjoyable, but at least I'll be able to get it down (and, hopefully, keep it down) for the purposes of this review. Again, this concoction tastes nothing at all like beer.

A-B, Inc. doesn't list the milligrams of sodium on the can. Probably because they're sky-high. Again, watery tomatoes lead the way, with the same background fishiness that is found in the nose. Please don't make me drink any more looking for flavor nuances.

The body/mouthfeel is light with an underlying slick sliminess that is unpleasant. At least the carbonation isn't fizzing up the joint. It's probably unavoidable given the ingredients, but the mouthfeel is limiting my drinking more than the flavor.

In the end, Budweiser Chelada is pretty much what was expected. More power to those who brew it and to those who enjoy it, but I'm going to try to forget this experience as quickly and as completely as humanly possible.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch