Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)
4.35/5  rDev +118.6%

Drank it out of the can.

I've never been a beer guy. There's a lot of beers that I think are nasty. There's some beers that have grown on me. And then there's Budweiser Chelada. The king of tomatoey beers.

Appearance: The can is pretty well designed. It advertises pretty much what the beer is. A mixture of Budweiser and Clamato. It also is either blue or red depending on whether you're getting full flavor or light Chelada, making it easy to identify which can to grab off the shelf. The beer inside is obviously red-ish.

I don't understand all the hubbub about foam. I just want to drink it, not get foam all over my face. If you want foam, just mix your own "Red Beer" using budweiser and Clamato, about a third to a half full. Pour the Clamato in first, getting your glass halfway full. And then just, pour in the Budweiser from the can. You'll get your purty foam then.

Smell: I'm a big fan of tomatoey, salty drinks. The smell of the Chelada when I open the can definitely gets me tempted and wanting to drink it. You can definitely smell the fact that it's got the beer and Clamato mixed together. And some of that other stuff too, like the lime.

Taste: Like I mentioned, I'm a huge fan of tomatoey, salty drinks. I have tried red beer, which is traditionally just beer mixed with tomato juice, but it was disgusting. Using Clamato instead of tomato juice gives it something unique that makes all the difference between something drinkable, and something nasty. The spicyness mixed with that lime twist is also really great.

I have actually made my own "Red Beers" using Budweiser and a bottle of Clamato. The Budweiser is a little gross and makes me shudder when I drink it. And the Clamato is delicious, but it's too strong in its delicious tomato-clamjuice flavor. Mixing the two seems to counterbalance each other and make a perfect drink, with the nasty of the Budweiser taking the delicious of the Clamato down a notch, in addition to making it fizzy and giving it the bite of a beer. Mixing my own "Red Beer" is better than Chelada, because the Clamato flavor in the off-the-shelf drink is a bit too light for my tastes, though the salt and lime are good additions to the Chelada drink. I can increase the Clamato to beer ratio to get a stronger Clamato taste, though keeping that balance between the Clamato and the Budweiser. Since I generally don't keep lime juice and spices, the Chelada does have that something that home-mixed "Red Beer" using Clamato generally lacks.

In my opinion, this could be really amazing if they used green olive brine instead of lime.

If you mix your own "Red Beer", it's important that you pour the Clamato first. If you pour the Clamato first, the foam includes the "Red Beer" taste. If you pour the Budweiser first, any foam you get will just have the nasty Budweiser taste. Do about a third to a half Clamato, and the rest of the glass Budweiser. Or whatever ratio you prefer.

Mouthfeel: The feel can also be a bit light. If you mix your own "Red Beer" using Budweiser and Clamato, you can get something heavier by having a higher ratio of Clamato to beer.

Overall: This is an amazing beer in my opinion. It could use a higher ratio of Clamato to beer though. It could also use a sharper salty flavor, perhaps using green olive brine instead of lime juice.

Also, it's an inconvenience that I don't find the full version in grocery stores anymore. Only the light version seems to be available nowadays. I have to go to a liquor store or, if I'm lucky, a gas station, to get the full enChelada.

Amaroq, May 22, 2013

scoot64, May 22, 2013
3.3/5  rDev +65.8%

I tried this concoction after mowing my yard last weekend. Last time I was a fan of Bud was when I was a kid; so much for palate back in those days (zero). Anyway, my son has been bringing these home and, being a bloody mary fan, I decided to give one a try. Boy, I was pleasantly surprised! I found it to be quite refreshing and not nearly as bad as I've been hearing. I see by some of the reviews here that it's not thought of very highly, but come on! We're not talking about craft beer here, folks. For what it is, it not that bad at all. A bit steep at $3.40 a can, but I'll be having another.

Nate57, May 19, 2013

JohnnieNepal, Feb 23, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -24.6%

Alek, Feb 17, 2013
2.65/5  rDev +33.2%

Poured from 16oz pounder into a pint glass.

Appearance: salmon pink hue with a little bit of a fizzy head when first poured which dissipated immediately. Not particularly attractive, but we're talking about clamato in Bud, here.

Smell: lightly tomato-ey V8-type aroma with a little bit of sweetness. The lime is also noticeable. For what it is, it could be a lot worse; still, it's not my favorite beer aroma, to say the least.

Taste: it tastes a bit like a very lightly sweetened bloody mary, but not as thick. I would not call this a good beer, but for what it is, you could do a lot worse.

Mouthfeel: light body with a light and uninteresting carbonation. Not great.

Overall: I can't say I will be recommending this as a beer anytime soon. However, if what you are looking for is a lightly alcoholic bloody mary in a can, I'm not sure I could recommend anything else. This beer may not be great, but it is exactly as advertised -- there are no surprises here whatsoever.

flagmantho, Feb 11, 2013
2.75/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

24 oz can poured into an imperial pilsener glass

A- Pours a ruby red color with with a pinkish white head that dissipated almost immediately. Carbonation is very active.

S- Smells like tomato juice, salty, with a hint of lime citrus. Picking up a little bit on the corny Budweiser smell.

T- Taste just like a beer mixed with tomato juice. The tomato juice flavor is dominant, pretty salty, and beer flavor does not really stand out. Not really surprising because it is Budweiser.

M- The tomato gives it a medium bodied mouthfeel. Carbonation is crisp and I enjoyed it.

O- Hardly a beer in my opinion, but I did enjoy it. I have always liked red beers (beer with tomato juice) so I enjoyed this. It goes nicely with an olive garnish and is an excellent hangover cure.

MickeyBeer, Feb 01, 2013
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Jan 27, 2013

Brew33, Jan 22, 2013

MichaelProcton, Jan 19, 2013

dertyd, Jan 19, 2013

Lukass, Jan 10, 2013

Glopez, Jan 06, 2013
1.05/5  rDev -47.2%

Appearance. Pours a lightly rusty tomato-juice red with a little gold.

Smell. Canned tomato juice, celery, a little bit of beer smell that's reminicent of the drips that you get on your hand when you're collecting those beer cans from a party the night before.

Taste. Clamato juice with extra celery, lime juice, and sweet, terrible bmc lager.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with a soft grainy texture, somewhat sticky, and light + carbonation.

Overall. Truly putrid. I hate to be this negative in a review, and rarely am, but this stuff is vile. I thought I could handle this, being a Caesar fan on occasion, but a few sips of this tall boy was enough. I would advise to never buy this beer, even out of curiosity as was the case for me. A rating of 1 seems very generous here.

Rutager, Dec 31, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -12.1%

Bubbleghost, Dec 22, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +100%

Let's get something straight...I'm not comparing this to Ayinger or Lagunitas. I absolutely LOVE this beverage as the first one (sometimes even two) of the early evening. No chance I'm drinking 'em all night.

To the point though, it is more beer than juice...there is no hint of "thickness" or "clams" to it and it has just the right amount of peppery taste. I only drink it on hunting trips and recently turned a few doubters into zealous supporters of the almighty Chelada.

Try one in an ice cold can and I guarantee if you ignore your own prejudices you will love it (especially if you like Bloody Marys).

HopAlongG, Nov 23, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +88.4%

crownrl28, Nov 18, 2012
1.83/5  rDev -8%

A: Pours a cloudy pale pinkish orange in color (not dissimilar to pink grapefruit juice) with some light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a quarter finger tall fizzy pinkish white head that quickly fades to a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of crushed tomatos, tomato juice, celery salt, and something very briny...maybe even fishy.

T: Moderate to strong flavors of watery tomatos, celery salt, salt/brine, and clam juice...there is no beer like flavor from the Budweiser that I can discern.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly slick.

O: This is not something that I will be running out to try again but I'm glad I finally found it as it was rather elusive... Semi-offensive in the smell and taste but I guess it is something that really appeals to different palates (possibly ethnic or diet based...).

dbrauneis, Nov 14, 2012