2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser & Clamato CheladaBudweiser & Clamato Chelada

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 219 | Reviews: 138 | Show All Ratings:
roastedpig

4.78/5  rDev +140.2%

Appearance - light red, slightly pink.

Smell - slight smell of beer, salt, and fresh vegetables. The smell can be delightful, if your into this sort of drink. However, most people try this beer with the mind set it is going to be disgusting, so the smell can be exaggerated in their mind to something that isn't pleasant.

Taste- delicious. A refreshing beer base taste, with a strong flavor of tomato, and noticeably salty taste. Just because the beer has clam juice doesnt mean the beer taste like clam. Anyone who says it taste like clam is lying, or they don't know what clam tastes like, and they were trying the beer with the mindset that its going to be gross, and their mind is lying to them to make it taste like something that it doesn't. The reason the clam is in the drink isn't to make it taste like clams. its there to add a more natural and unique salty flavor than simply sprinkling salt into a beer. The clam juice allows the saltiness to mix with the beer perfectly giving the beer a consistent salty refreshing taste that does not over power the beer. If you poured this into a glass, and served it to someone who didn't know what it was, they would say it tastes like beer, tomato juice, and salt, but with a slightly more refreshing and carbonated taste. Delicious for anyone who likes beer and tomato juice. Although many people i know who like Red Beers wont give this a 2nd try after hearing about the clams. Its a real mind game for people.

Mouth feel - More carbonated than you would think, as carbonated as a regular beer or more. Because of the natural tomato and clam ingredients, the beer has a very light sediment/pulp similar to a can of tomato juice, but much less noticeable. Give the beer a great feel in the mouth. Leaves the mouth ultra refreshed if served very cold. If you are in the mood to eat and drink, this beer is the best of both worlds because it will leave your senses satisfied from both sides.

Overall- Absolutely fantastic. Anyone who doesn't like this beer either doesn't like a tomato juice type flavor, or their mind has played tricks on them hearing it has clams. If you like Red Beer (tomato juice and beer, plus maybe some Tabasco) then you will like this beverage. If you like Red Beer and you don't like this beverage, you are lying. The clam isn't overpowering, and is almost tasteless. The saltiness will leave you wanting more, and the refreshing nature of the beer will leave you perfectly satisfied. 100% perfectly delicious.

05-11-2012 14:16:58 | More by roastedpig
ZenAgnostic

4.75/5  rDev +138.7%

(re-reviewing/editing this about 4 months after the initial review) I have to admit this beer has become something of a guilty pleasure of mine, so I had to edit my review to reflect my change of heart.

24oz can poured into a Budweiser pint glass.

Appearance - Chicos taco's sauce. Watery looking tomato juice. Opaque with visible particulate matter. No head. Weird looking, but proper for the style.

Smell - No smell other than clamato.

Taste - Tastes more like clamato than beer. Has a nice bite. Tomato and sweetness with a slight undercurrent of Budweiser.

Mouthfeel - Clean with a crisp bite. Very refreshing.

Overall Drinkability - Actually really enjoyed this. First time I had it I thought it was pretty gross, maybe because I was drinking it sort of warm from the can. Chilled in a glass is pretty worthy. I've had it several times since the first time I reviewed this beer, and it is now my go-to beer for when I only have a gas station selection.

07-24-2011 05:33:02 | More by ZenAgnostic
netrioter

4.53/5  rDev +127.6%

I'm a huge fan of red beer (Clamato,V8 or whatever and a lager)... NOTHING beats a chelada or red beer on a 115 degree day in the sun....the sodium keeps you from turning into jerky and the lime refreshes you...this is why 99% of all mexican beers have a low ABV...its hot as hell down there and lawnmower beer ABV is all youll be able to stand in the inferno.

also enjoying nasty things like anchovies or smoked oysters helps in enjoying this beer...im down with nasty foods...mmm

24oz can in Lubbock Texas (119 degrees,a record actually)...middle of the 2011 drought. $2.49

the price is the only dislike...i recommend your favorite lager,or even a high gravity and some clamato,lime and salt and make your own at the casa...theyre really poundable and delicious...plus you dont wake up all dehydrated if you get plowed.

if you need a roadie on your way home and you got some swass going on...this IS the ticket

p.s. red beer/chelada is great if youre hung over...the salt and alcohol take the pain away really quick...seriously!

07-20-2012 11:17:51 | More by netrioter
Chadwick2009

4.53/5  rDev +127.6%

I am from Saskatchewan in Canada everyone I know that I know all say they love it. The only problem is is that it's not supported by the slb so its hard to fined and who does have it can charge what ever they want. When it comes to the drink it's self we all love it and can't get enough of it I'm going to a buddy's tonight and I'll be drinking cheladas there keep up the good job.

09-22-2012 02:39:40 | More by Chadwick2009
budgood1

4.35/5  rDev +118.6%

pours out of the 24 oz. can a pinkish tinged tomato red colour. you can smell the salt tinged clamato juice in the beer. no real lime aromas that i can tell. nice clamato flavours of tomato and black pepper. hints of lime and salt just as the label on the can pronounces. as an occasional drinker of cesars, bloody beers and bloody marys, i found this commercial offering pretty enjoyable. as for any mouthfeel, i'm not sure how a tomatoe beer is supposed come off. i guess i find it just fine. therefore the drinkability is pretty good for this concoction. would be good with a hearty breakfast, some aspirin, and bloody mary for dessert after an evening of boozing it up.

i'm not sure that this should a reviewable beer on BA, because it's a beer cocktail, and not really a "style". and for those who KNOW that they find lager beer and tomato/clamato juice an offending mix, why bother reviewing this at all??

one more thing...this 24oz. can was three bucks, so if you have some clamato juice, tomato juice, or V8 on hand, why not just make your own with some cheap lager and save some $$?

anyway, i liked this budweiser chelada just fine, and it washed down some homemade sausage quite well, thank you.

01-18-2008 22:30:01 | More by budgood1
Amaroq

4.35/5  rDev +118.6%

Drank it out of the can.

I've never been a beer guy. There's a lot of beers that I think are nasty. There's some beers that have grown on me. And then there's Budweiser Chelada. The king of tomatoey beers.

Appearance: The can is pretty well designed. It advertises pretty much what the beer is. A mixture of Budweiser and Clamato. It also is either blue or red depending on whether you're getting full flavor or light Chelada, making it easy to identify which can to grab off the shelf. The beer inside is obviously red-ish.

I don't understand all the hubbub about foam. I just want to drink it, not get foam all over my face. If you want foam, just mix your own "Red Beer" using budweiser and Clamato, about a third to a half full. Pour the Clamato in first, getting your glass halfway full. And then just, pour in the Budweiser from the can. You'll get your purty foam then.

Smell: I'm a big fan of tomatoey, salty drinks. The smell of the Chelada when I open the can definitely gets me tempted and wanting to drink it. You can definitely smell the fact that it's got the beer and Clamato mixed together. And some of that other stuff too, like the lime.

Taste: Like I mentioned, I'm a huge fan of tomatoey, salty drinks. I have tried red beer, which is traditionally just beer mixed with tomato juice, but it was disgusting. Using Clamato instead of tomato juice gives it something unique that makes all the difference between something drinkable, and something nasty. The spicyness mixed with that lime twist is also really great.

I have actually made my own "Red Beers" using Budweiser and a bottle of Clamato. The Budweiser is a little gross and makes me shudder when I drink it. And the Clamato is delicious, but it's too strong in its delicious tomato-clamjuice flavor. Mixing the two seems to counterbalance each other and make a perfect drink, with the nasty of the Budweiser taking the delicious of the Clamato down a notch, in addition to making it fizzy and giving it the bite of a beer. Mixing my own "Red Beer" is better than Chelada, because the Clamato flavor in the off-the-shelf drink is a bit too light for my tastes, though the salt and lime are good additions to the Chelada drink. I can increase the Clamato to beer ratio to get a stronger Clamato taste, though keeping that balance between the Clamato and the Budweiser. Since I generally don't keep lime juice and spices, the Chelada does have that something that home-mixed "Red Beer" using Clamato generally lacks.

In my opinion, this could be really amazing if they used green olive brine instead of lime.

If you mix your own "Red Beer", it's important that you pour the Clamato first. If you pour the Clamato first, the foam includes the "Red Beer" taste. If you pour the Budweiser first, any foam you get will just have the nasty Budweiser taste. Do about a third to a half Clamato, and the rest of the glass Budweiser. Or whatever ratio you prefer.

Mouthfeel: The feel can also be a bit light. If you mix your own "Red Beer" using Budweiser and Clamato, you can get something heavier by having a higher ratio of Clamato to beer.

Overall: This is an amazing beer in my opinion. It could use a higher ratio of Clamato to beer though. It could also use a sharper salty flavor, perhaps using green olive brine instead of lime juice.

Also, it's an inconvenience that I don't find the full version in grocery stores anymore. Only the light version seems to be available nowadays. I have to go to a liquor store or, if I'm lucky, a gas station, to get the full enChelada.

05-22-2013 11:08:47 | More by Amaroq
BeerBob

Nebraska

4.3/5  rDev +116.1%

Budweiser & Clamato “Chelada” pours a Clamato red from a 1 pint 8 fl. Oz. Brightly Lithographed Pop top Aluminum can. Head went to over two fingers, before disappearing completely.

Nose is a bit metallic, but not offensive, followed by whiffs of tomato and clam.

Palate is a smooth spicy tomatoes and clam juice, followed by the bight of carbonation.

A delicious blend of “Budweiser & Clamato”. For breakfast with a Western omelet, or lunch with hot dogs, and /or supper with just about anything!

I like this, I like this a lot!

08-26-2007 00:05:36 | More by BeerBob
Scooter14

Ontario (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev +112.1%

Im surprised to read the negative feedback. This is a morning pick me up bar none! Obviously these folks have not heard of or made a Red Eye to kick off a great day! The drink of choice for race morning tailgating!!

Try either the Budweiser or Bud Light version and see for yourself. My preference: the full-on Budweiser Chelada!

06-15-2011 18:00:28 | More by Scooter14
Guster

4.15/5  rDev +108.5%

I believe you have to like tomato-y things like V8 or bloody marys to really like this drink. It definitely has a beer-like flavor, but it is more like a cocktail to me. Just like a mild bloody mary made with macrobrew instead of vodka. I was really hot, thirsty, tired when I drank this and it was extremely tasty and refreshing; light-bodied, tang of tomato, a mild twinge of chili spice, traditional Bud taste, and a nice cut of acidity from the citrus added. It was quite restorative. Weird orangey-pink color though. And for those skeptical of "clamato" do not fear: there is not even a hint of anything fishy in here. Just tomato.

10-05-2007 15:42:45 | More by Guster
Emerson1310

4.1/5  rDev +106%

Being a seafood lover, why not try it inside a beer?

A: Watery tomato juice. A reddish, watery look. Head was about 1-finger and rapidly vanished. Sorry, lacing was absent!!

S: Not much!! The smell was rather weak as is their standard Bud. Vaguely Clamato and Bud-cabbage.

T: Spicy!! There is some fishiness due to the Clamato. Front of tongue is actually kinda sweet.

O: A good summer-cooler beer. But I make this myself and even better: Bud, tomato (NOT clam) juice, fresh lime juice and salt. Mine lacks the fishiness...Some of my beer-geek friends have adopted my "Chelada".

09-15-2011 21:03:47 | More by Emerson1310
PheerNoBeer

Missouri

After seeing this "beer" on several occasions, I decided to try it. The mere premise of beer mixed with Clamato is repulsive, but I have to admit I like the stuff. Keep in mind, this isn't beer by any definition: it's more like a fizzy bloody mary. Quite frankly, there is nothing to compare it to, but it's kind of strangely addictive. Besides, I feel healthier knowing it's mixed with tomato and clam juice. Beer? No. Wierd? Yes. Worth trying? Absolutely. By the way, I have had several of these over the past few weeks and there is no way in Hell I would pour it in a glass. I like the taste, but I'm certain the sight of this stuff in a glass would make me want to puke.

09-30-2008 00:14:25 | More by PheerNoBeer
HopAlongG

New Hampshire

3.98/5  rDev +100%

Let's get something straight...I'm not comparing this to Ayinger or Lagunitas. I absolutely LOVE this beverage as the first one (sometimes even two) of the early evening. No chance I'm drinking 'em all night.

To the point though, it is more beer than juice...there is no hint of "thickness" or "clams" to it and it has just the right amount of peppery taste. I only drink it on hunting trips and recently turned a few doubters into zealous supporters of the almighty Chelada.

Try one in an ice cold can and I guarantee if you ignore your own prejudices you will love it (especially if you like Bloody Marys).

11-23-2012 22:31:17 | More by HopAlongG
gled10

3.85/5  rDev +93.5%

As another reviewer stated, the first one I drank, I didn't think so much of it. After a few of these the taste grew on me. I find they taste good now and very drinkable. I never had the combination of clamato and beer before and I actually don't care for Budweiser, but for me, the Chelada tastes ok.

06-12-2010 04:52:00 | More by gled10
PatrickJR

3.75/5  rDev +88.4%

Poured from a 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

Let me start off by saying it's difficult to rate this beer with the point system; there's nothing really to compare this beer to except homemade cocktails as this isn't really a style.

A - Pinkish red, opaque. Soda-like head tries to form upon pouring but swirls into nothing.

S - Pepper, garlic/onion, with a hint of beer. Tomato as well obviously, though I don't detect any clam or lime.

T - I really enjoy this as a beverage, but not so much on a beer level; then again it's not exactly "a beer." For anyone who's had a Bloody Mary or any beer based cocktail in the same family, that's exactly what this tastes like. Perfect tomato-based blend of salt, pepper, garlic/onion, and a small citric note is noticable though I wouldn't necessarily recognize it as lime. It's got a little heat to it in the finish, and the beer does a nice job of thinning the drink out and adding an extra layer of flavor, not to mention the carbonation.

M - A nice balance of the creamy tomato juice and fizzy, thin, Bud.

D - This is not "a beer to be pounded all night," but it was never meant to me. It is however a good accompaniment to food, or perhaps a tasty remedy.

Again, the numerical scores should be taken with a grain of salt, and this is not a beer proper. Overall, it's tasty. You'll probably know if you're going to like this or not before you even taste it.

08-02-2008 08:23:48 | More by PatrickJR
Shiloh

Ontario (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev +87.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

OK, this is how it is....this concoction as it now sits was also know as "The Hair of the Dog" and was widely consumed on many a Sunday morn.
A lifesaver.
Stick a celery stock in this baby and a couple of pinches of salt..not bad at all.

I like it!

Colour: cloudy red/orange
Taste: good...just needs extra salt and you can kill the lime...maybe switch the clamato for tomato juice..or not.
Aroma:clamato juice
Mouthfeel:brings back fond memories..until I wonder where I left my car.

06-02-2008 23:42:43 | More by Shiloh
OldSchoolGamer

3.7/5  rDev +85.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Based on the reviews of this beer, I seem to be the only one that enjoys this. I admit, I like Bloody Marys and tomato juice. I feel this isn't getting fair treatment as this is an Anheuser-Busch product. So, I personally feel a lot of the scores this beer is getting are quite biased. Anyways, here is my review:

A: Pours a murky orange-red color. Lots of suspended sediment from the clamato juice. Head fizzles away withing seconds. Pretty much looks like a typical Bloody Beer.

S: Smells pretty much like tomato juice. Some spicyness can be detected.

T: No this beer does not have any off flavors. There is no metal, rotten clam, or vomit flavors in this beer. The accusations are quite exaggerated. It pretty much tastes like a Bloody Mary in a can. Lots of tomato juice flavor. Lots of lime and salt. Finish is also quite spicy. I usually put some Tabasco sauce in here for added spicyness. Overall, a very good tasting Bloody Beer.

M: A little heavier in the mouth due to the clamato juice. Prett much drinks like a typical lager. Lots of carbonation and somewhat watery.

D: This beer is one of the most addicting beers I have had. Seriously, I could drink this almost every day. Very easy drinking and quite sessionable.

I actually like this beer more than my score indicates. I had to knock it down a little as there really is no 'beer' flavors present here. I would call this more of a mixed drink than a beer. If you like Bloody Marys or tomato juice, I highly recommend this one. Splash in some Tabasco and garnish with a stick of celery and enjoy.

06-17-2009 17:57:02 | More by OldSchoolGamer
dopehousex3

3.6/5  rDev +80.9%

These kind of beers are big with Hispanics, I'm a Mexican American and I grew up with Clamato and beer. So when I first tried the Chelada I thought their ok but after drinking acouple I really started to like them. In my opinion they are not that bad I guess you really have to like clams tomato and cheap beer lol. Just give the Chelada a chance you'll start to like it.

03-14-2010 05:23:37 | More by dopehousex3
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.53/5  rDev +77.4%

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada has a very thin, pink head, which almost instantly fizzes away and a cloudy, pinkish-red appearance with little chunks of something floating about. The aroma is of the Gulf of Mexico and V-8 Juice, with just a hint of lime. Taste is of tomato, clam broth, lime flavor, and some possible beer showing up as well. Mouthfeel is somewhat heavy, and this concoction finishes soupy and weird. Well, I guess this is pretty good, and I would like to have it if I were ever in the mood for Budweiser, tomato juice, lime flavor, and clam broth. I doubt that I will ever be in the mood for that, however. But, one never knows. Overall, it's interesting, if nothing else.

RJT

11-04-2011 23:36:38 | More by RonaldTheriot
alkemy

3.48/5  rDev +74.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a "bloody beer" and I've had my share. You can smell and taste the lime in this, which I'm not a real fan of. Typically I'd rather take a Rolling Rock and mix it with some Clamato and Tabasco myself, but this serves a purpose. Has a little more "beer" taste than the light version of this. I like it just fine. Goes great the morning after being over served.

02-02-2010 15:49:27 | More by alkemy
emerge077

3.43/5  rDev +72.4%

As a seasoned Michelada drinker, this really was no big surprise. Try ordering one at a Mexican restaurant sometime. This wasn't really as godawful as I was expecting, though i've had far better at restaurants and mixed at home. Better ingredients (ie, Bohemia or Dos Equis Amber) make a better "beer cocktail" for sure. Rating as a "beer cocktail" and not so much as a beer.

Poured out into a 22 oz. mug, best served ice cold or over ice. The color was an electric pink, identical to Hawaiian punch. There was an angry mass of large, filmy, pond scum bubbles on the surface, and their movement reminded me of a mad colony of hornets or pulsating maggots from a nature show. A gritty film coats the rim of the glass, with chunky sediment floating in it. Fail.

Smells and tastes like seasoned tomato juice with a slight undercurrent of stale beer. Since I like tomato juice, this smells appetizing enough to me. It does not taste like spoiled fish, rotting clams, or any other bizarre lurid descriptor one could muster. The tomato/Clamato dominates, let's face it, it has more flavor than Bud. Tomatoes have acidity, perfectly natural. There is a tingling peppery taste in the back, like Maggi seasoning, and there's some savory saltiness. Thankfully the spicy tomato juice steamrolls the insipid beer. Unfortunately it has about as much carbonation as tomato juice too.

It's actually refreshing if you can get over mixing Clamato/V8 and a macro lager. This is the solution for all those crappy beers leftover from that party last weekend, just mix with Clamato or V8, lime, & Cholula and enjoy!

05-29-2009 01:09:30 | More by emerge077
mynie

Indiana

3.43/5  rDev +72.4%

This is the hardest, most confounding beer review I have ever undertaken to write.

First off, this is to my knowledge the only premixed Chelada that's sold in the US. So I got nothing against which to judge it.

Secondly, I've had other Cheladas, made by mixing beers that are better than Bud with either V-8 or Clamato. Bizarrely, they didn't taste nearly as good as this one does.

My only reference point, then, is to compare this to other premixed beer cocktails. Normally, all premixed cocktails suck. That's just a rule of thumb: if you got the choice between a premixed margarita and a blend of tequila, lime, and triple sec, always take the latter. This is the only--ONLY--premixed cocktail I've ever had, of any kind, that is actually better than its handmade counterpart. That's worth at least a 3.0, right?

But then again, if this really is nothing but Bud mixed with Clamato, that's pretty lazy, right? And then again, it's not really beery--though neither is Wisconsin Red.

So.. So I'm going to to have vote with my gut on this one, away from standards the approbation of the beergeek majority, and away from any popularly recognized standards of style. This was one of the most surprisingly enjoyable things I have ever drank. It's not beergeek friendly. It's not by the standards of this site something that should be lauded. But it was pretty damn good.

08-09-2010 21:30:22 | More by mynie
giblet

3.35/5  rDev +68.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

first off i get a real kick out of people saying "oh no it is reddish pink", "oh no it is tomato flavor or clam flavor", or "it is spicy or salty". must not have ever heard of tomato juice or clamato juice or had a bloody mary.

i did not shake before opening. i did the slow rotating of the can end for end 3-4 times in each direction. poured a light reddish with some head. smells like...well beer and bloody mary. taste and smell are what i expect. i love a good bloody mary and ceasar so this was fairly good to me. a bit of spice with some carbonation. most of the beer taste is backseat to the clamato, but i expected that. to me, drinkable on a hot humid day as a refresher...kinda like a bloody mary or ceasar.

who'd a thunk it?

giblet

08-09-2009 11:07:21 | More by giblet
marc956

3.33/5  rDev +67.3%

I don't like regular Budweiser, especially not in a can, but I do like cheladas and micheladas, especially when with family in Mexico, honestly if I'm gonna make one though I'd use a beer that I do like and use either Clamato or something equivelant.

12-14-2008 23:26:48 | More by marc956
ScottieSharpe

3.3/5  rDev +65.8%

Seriously, you guys rating Chelada like its some kinda craft brew. Get over yourselves. It's friggin Budweiser and Clamato for Christ's sake!

First let's get a few things straight: Chelada is drunk only on swelteringly hot days. If you already took two showers today and you are just barely fending off the swamp ass, now THAT's a perfect day for a Chelada. I don't care if you drink it outta a frozen beer glass (good), an elegant champagne flute (better) or right out of the can (best, and good for mopping sweaty brow), it had damn well better be ice cold!

Here's the review: It tastes like Bud with Clamato. If you don't like those things, why on earth are you drinking Chelada? Go order yourself a burly man beer.

If you are lucky enough to live near an Hispanic community (Tip: No beer cocktail can beat into submission spicy authentic Mexican dishes like Chelada), your retailer may carry the Lime & Salt variety. Just consider yourself blessed.

Oh, one other thing. How many Cheladas should you have?

Martini lovers will know the answer: "There's nothing quite like your first sip of your second Martini."

Beer snobs can go smoke some hops. Anyone who loves food, drink and regional/ethnic delights, go find yourself a cold fridge and see if there's a Chelada in there!

06-17-2012 05:36:52 | More by ScottieSharpe
Nate57

Washington

3.3/5  rDev +65.8%

I tried this concoction after mowing my yard last weekend. Last time I was a fan of Bud was when I was a kid; so much for palate back in those days (zero). Anyway, my son has been bringing these home and, being a bloody mary fan, I decided to give one a try. Boy, I was pleasantly surprised! I found it to be quite refreshing and not nearly as bad as I've been hearing. I see by some of the reviews here that it's not thought of very highly, but come on! We're not talking about craft beer here, folks. For what it is, it not that bad at all. A bit steep at $3.40 a can, but I'll be having another.

05-19-2013 21:04:00 | More by Nate57