Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007

2.7/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have to come clean with everyone out there. This stuff is like crack for me. It's a total acquired taste guilty pleasure. As a Canadian, I grew up mixing Clamato into shitty beers like Old Milwaukee. Beer and clam is a perfect drink for camping or hangover mornings. The way Cheladas are spiced is unique, but very appealing to me. I can't help myself.

2.67/5  rDev +32.2%

I was in the grocery buying some better beer, saw this and thought I would try it as to see how it was.

The color was a muddy red, like Clamato. The smell was overly Clamato as well.

Quite a heavy mouth feel due to the higher density of the beer.

Poured it into a standard pint glass. The taste was more Clamato than beer. This was the first time that I've had BUD that I didn't get sick about an hour after drinking it, but it still has that Bud lack of flavor that keeps me from buying the brand.

2.65/5  rDev +31.2%

Pours out a pinkish red that has just a touch of suds which dissapate quickly leaving a lacing of tomato around the rim of the glass.
Smell is clamato and celery without a hint of a lime.
Taste is tomato/clamato with other veggies like celery and potato. Can taste a little hot sauce.
Mouthfeel is not too bad. There is a little heat from the hot sauce.
This is a beer that I suppose you are to drink after a heavy drinking night to cure the hangoover but you are again drinking Bud so why not skip the tomato crap and head right for the budweiser!

2.63/5  rDev +30.2%

A: The beer is rather hazy orange yellow in color and has a moderate to high amount visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that rapidly dissipated and left a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of tomato and clam juice are present in the nose.
T: The taste very much follows the smell and seems like a Clamato drink that's been watered down a bit with added carbonation and a slight amount of bitterness. Notes of salty clams linger through the finish.
M: It feels nearly medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I didn't have much in the way of expectations for this "beer" but it's definitely a lot better than the Bud Light version of the Clamato Chelada and surprisingly seems to work well with the Budweiser. The carbonation and light amount of bitterness seemed to make the Clamato a little easier to drink whereas the Clamato flavors kept the Budweiser from being bland. I doubt that I would purchase this again, but I wouldn't have a problem drinking all 24 ounces of this beer if I had to (the Bud Light version was a different story and mostly got poured down the drain).

2.6/5  rDev +28.7%

Poured from 16oz pounder into a pint glass.

Appearance: salmon pink hue with a little bit of a fizzy head when first poured which dissipated immediately. Not particularly attractive, but we're talking about clamato in Bud, here.

Smell: lightly tomato-ey V8-type aroma with a little bit of sweetness. The lime is also noticeable. For what it is, it could be a lot worse; still, it's not my favorite beer aroma, to say the least.

Taste: it tastes a bit like a very lightly sweetened bloody mary, but not as thick. I would not call this a good beer, but for what it is, you could do a lot worse.

Mouthfeel: light body with a light and uninteresting carbonation. Not great.

Overall: I can't say I will be recommending this as a beer anytime soon. However, if what you are looking for is a lightly alcoholic bloody mary in a can, I'm not sure I could recommend anything else. This beer may not be great, but it is exactly as advertised -- there are no surprises here whatsoever.

2.48/5  rDev +22.8%

This is an odd beer... if you would call it that, I dont think there is any way you are going to make heads or tails of the appearance
I was instantly reminded of the smell of beer and pizza vomit and it took a couple of gags to get the first few sips down, but as my palate broke down and figured out a lot of competing flavors, I found myself compelled to drink more. Kinda like sniffing at a dead skunk I guess. I would buy more, but only to make other people unwittingly suffer.

2.25/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.2/5  rDev +8.9%

24 fluid ounces of Budweiser & Clamato with salt and lime - the perfect combination, Budweiser beer with natural flavor and certified color (the label's words, not mine).
Picked this up while in the States, looked interesting, plus I like Caesars (vodka and Clamato).
Pours a murky, reddish color, with a bubbly pink head, that quickly turned into a floating scum. Smells like clamato juice, tomatoe. Taste has the saltiness and tomato juice flavor along with the sourish, grainy beer. Sticky mouthfeel.
I am having a hard time rating this one: What is inside is exactly what they claim on the package - beer and clamato, really no different than mixing your own red eye - so you get what you expect, just don't expect too much. It is a beer cocktail, not a unique beer. Tried it once, that was enough.

2.2/5  rDev +8.9%

pours an odd, murky, chunky, grapefruity color with a fizzy white head that goes away as quickly as it appears. Leaves no lace. Smells like low grade tomato juice, fake lime juice and stinky cheap seafood with a hint of cheap hopppy green apple bud type thing going on. Tastes the same with a little sweetness. Just like a bloody mary at a truck stop bar with beer instead of vodka. I've always called them texas bloody mary's. Funky mouthfeel, but I hate to say it... this one is like the bee gees to me... a guilty pleasure. after a night of overindulgence, this one could be an effective hair of the dog type thing. hungover, i would go for a chelada over a rochefort 10 anyday. btw... i poured this 24oz can into two glasses... the second was loaded with hot hot sauce... i now have a new go to hangover helper. i knew bud was good for something.

2.16/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Pours a nuclear orange hue with several large bubbles that dissipate quickly. Looks like fruit punch. How do you grade this? What is the expectation for a tomato beer?

S: Tomatoes Beer and Feet

T: An odd combination of beer, tomatoes, salt, and lime. There is so much going on here. Faintly reminiscent of vomit.

MF: You would think something with tomato juice would have more body.

D: I am not going to drink any more of these, and I may not finish this one. If someone wanted this style of drink badly enough, they should make their own.

Later . . . okay. It is growing on me a little. I will finish the can 16oz); raising my drinkability score by .5 a point.

2.14/5  rDev +5.9%

24 oz. can, poured to a pint glass.

Budweiser & Clamato "with Salt and Lime" or "con Sal y Limon", if you prefer.

Some interesting notes:
-This is Budweiser with 'Natural Flavor and Certified Color'
-No Agite! Do Not Shake! ('Rotate Gently to Mix")
-Contains Shellfish/Clams

Review #800. That 'milestone' has crept up slowly but surely; decided on Mexican tonight at an authentic little taqueria nearby (La Sirenita); picked up a can of Bud's Chelada on a whim at the store next door. Served with 3 tacos, including a 'Lengua' one, my first.

A: Oh jeez, how to review? A ruby grapefruit pink/orange color, jarringly vibrant. Gigantic fizzy/frothy head on first pour fills more than half the glass, then settles and winnows away entirely. Lace is unclear: are they flecks of foam or spatters of tomato-ey residue? After the head dies away, this looks remarkably dead like a pulpy fruit/vegetable juice with occasional rising bubbles. Gets a '2' from me, mostly because I like the color.

S: Quirky mix of corn pop sweetness (Bud) and a plump fruity/sugary tomato. Oddly enough, I kinda like it. Cocktail sauce meets macro lager.

T: Spicier than expected, a zesty and salty tomato flavor. Mild lime citrus and the tang of lime are vaguely notable, and cover nearly all traces of 'Budweiser' in this concoction. The spice/lime connection isn't too bad once you get used to it. It's the adjunct-sweet lager flavor that does a disservice...

M: Terrible, really terrible. Slick, oily, lifeless. Nothing redeeming.

D: Given that many reviews consider this to be an abomination, I agree somewhat. The addition of strong adjuncts like Clamato, salt and lime definitely transforms a lackluster lager like Bud into something entirely different. That 'something different' isn't necessarily good for a lover of craft beers, but I can see where there's some appeal here, to be honest. Sort of a fun experiment to see what's out there, but definitely not recommended except for the novelty...

2.12/5  rDev +5%

Poured a funky orange with the consistency of Hawaiian Punch. A light pink head that was quickly gone.

Has a funky bloody mary like smell with a bit of citrusy lime.

The flavor is a strange mix of slightly sweet tomato juice and a salty lime with a just a hint of bad beer flavor in the finish. Slightly more tomato flavor than the bud light version.

The mouthfeel is very thin, especially for something with tomato juice.

Overall I found it disappointing, Basically no difference between this and the Bud Light. Red Beer can be good, but make your own.

2.1/5  rDev +4%

Picked this up from a local grocery store.

Pours a light reddish orange with a thin white head that dissipated quickly leaving no collar. Aroma was of tomato juice and a slight hint of barley. Taste was a red beer. Watery texture. This is not a good beer, but it does have a place it beats making my own red beer. Not great as a beer, but decent in its own right.

2.07/5  rDev +2.5%

Reviewed to style.

Pours a cloudy pink tomato color with a short lived pink head. Smells of salty tomato juice, but not of beer. Tastes follows suit with flavors of tomato juice, brine, V8-like spices and a splash of tobasco in the aftertaste. Brine reminds me of the ocean. Tastes like salty, fishy, tomato ass. Still not getting any beer. Spritzy carbonation, medium-low body, budweiser mouthfeel. Spice lingers after I swallow. I cringe at the thought of drinking this again.

2.05/5  rDev +1.5%