Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser & Clamato CheladaBudweiser & Clamato Chelada

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007

1.75/5  rDev -13.8%

A: I'm not sure how this is supposed to look, night as red as I would have expected, more like a tinted amber.

S: Tomato not as prominent, more of the corny budweiser smell with some lime juice coming through.

T: Really bad, reminds me of a bloody mary but so salty its hard to drink. Lime is off-putting too. Just a lot of flavors all trying to compete.

M: Thin and bad, high carbonation.

D: Had a couple sips and poured it.

1.74/5  rDev -14.3%

22 oz. can "born-on" 8/14/07 and sampled when it was one month old. On the labeling, English is the second language, just like their target market for this brew. The beer is opaque and sediment-laden, with a color between that of tomato and pink grapefruit juice. It has medium carbonation and a very short-lived, pink head that reduces to nothing; and instead of lacing the glass, it deposits tomato particles. Tomatoes and a lime/clam mixture in the nose, with no discernible beer aroma. I'm not really looking forward to drinking this, but oddly enough, it makes my mouth salivate. Tastes of tomato, salt, and lime up front, backed by shellfish, and perhaps some pepper and celery seed, all mixed with a slight Budweiser flavor, on top of a standard Budweiser body. An interesting brew to say the least, but, overall.... bleech.

1.73/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours out a pinkish tomato with a fizzy head like soda.

Smell. Tomato- salty, some spices, a little seafood.

Taste. tastes like very light tomato juice that is carbonated. Not as strong as the smell, but spices are still present.

Mouthfeel. Body is light and has a crispness.

Overall, i wouldnt knock anyone for liking this, but i sure as hell don't. Seems like a more cultural drink. I'd rather just a bud, or better yet, a bloody mary.

1.73/5  rDev -14.8%

If you’ve ever had a red eye (beer and tomato juice), this is Bud’s Mexicanized variant using Clamato. If you like red eyes, you might like this (although a friend of mine who likes red eyes didn’t). You can’t really think of it as beer, per se, more like a Clamato based cocktail in a can. Actually pretty refreshing. A good morning drink en lieu of a mimosa or bloody mary. You can chug it like Gatorade, too. Much better than regular Bud.

1.72/5  rDev -15.3%

I saw this little number in the cooler at one of my locals lat night and since I was half (or more) in the bag following Groundhog Day, it seemed like just the thing to buy. Now, in the harsh light of day, my buyer's remorse rivals that feeling of Coyote Ugly that I have also experienced many times over the years.

What is this I see before me? It looked like Pink Grapefruit juice, a favorite of mine. Absolutely no head. Flat as a board. But pretty. Very pink, cloudy, like I said, grapefruit juice. Nose was salty, like the breeze blowing in off the Atlantic, underlain with a tomato-like tang. Frankly, Mr. Shankly, my mouth actually began to water. Now for the moment of truth - an actual mouthfull of it. Wow! The mouthfeel was watery thin. The admixture of salt, clam juice, tomato, and beer was just foul. Whew. It reminded me of the fantail on days when we could not dump trash and garbage and the sharks would troll behind us, hoping that we would chum the waters for them, having built up a smell that would fall a redwood. The finish left a taste that can only be described as decomposing flesh. Putrid. Run, don't walk, to the nearest sink and make this a drain pour. OMFG, 24 oz! My drain is now sick.

1.72/5  rDev -15.3%

16oz can from Tiger Town in Gardiner. Pours a pinkish-red fairly opaque body with large bubble head that dissipates quickly. Smells like tomato with lime. Tastes like tomato, clam, with hints of lime. Medium in body with low carbonation. Not horrible I guess, but not what I'm looking for out of a beer.

1.71/5  rDev -15.8%

a: A soupy pour gives a fleeting, fizzy head. The beer is a sort of opaque pink-red in color. Plenty of fine pulp in there.

s: Tomato juice, a touch of clam bed seawater, a hint of peppery spice. Light Bud aroma.

m: nasty tomato juice thick, low-med carbonation

t: Occasionally I'll take a sip and think it's interesting, and that's about the best thing I can say about it. Just a hint of grainy macro flavor, with a slight oystery saltiness hidden behind the dominant tomato juice flavor.

d: It is what it is, I guess

purchased at some random, C-grade gas station in Fayetteville

1.71/5  rDev -15.8%

Hmmm... Budweiser and Clamato together you say, brewed with a hint of salt and lime? Doesn't really sound at all that appetizing to me, so I wonder what compelled me to pick up a can of this. I guess I am compelled to try whatever strange offerings the big American macrobrewers try hawking at the beer purchasing public, and this definitely struck me as strange.

Bud Chelada pours a translucent coppery red color with two fingers of salmon colored foam that dissipates after about 45 seconds. The initial smell just smelled like regular Budweiser (or Bud Light) to me, but after a few more whiffs the tomato and clam aromas hit my nostrils. The mouthfeel was thin and fizzy, and simply put the beer tasted like a tomato soda. There was some hints of clam (and perhaps even some garlic-like taste) and it was slightly spicy as well. The flavors linger on for a bit in the finish and it fades out with no alcoholic warmth.

I didn't think it was too bad with my first few initial sips and the color was kind of interesting. However, the flavors soon settled in and this one was headed down the drain. I can only tolerate a few sips of this, so how am I supposed to down an entire 24 oz can of this? Definitely not recommended...

1.66/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass. Done as part of the cocktail and beer experiment.

It is mentioned to gently rotate this said proud vessel but not SHAKE as to give it a little mix, so I did. Regardless I don't think it made a difference in improving my experience.

Chelada pours a disgusting wet and murky orange toilet sewer color. The head is pinky and stupidly soapy and disappears instantly and leaves nothing in it's place. There's lacing alright, there is vegetative legs and stuck flecks that appear either red, black, or just brown. This looks like it belongs in a toilet.

Bouquet. No Roses have a bouquet this has a smell. Amazingly based on everything I've read about this, this was not what I was expecting. This wasn't salty, or briney, but it was vegetative smelling, but did not smell of seaweed, ocean, clams or even tomatoes. IT smelled EXACTLY like boiled celery. Extremely vegetative but I suppose that's expected, but this doesn't smell even like beer. It smells like a spritzy v8 with a million stalks of celery jammed in it. I was thinking of a good thick Caesar but this smells really thin.

Taste.. oh boy look out. Wet, then tomato like with some salty brine, but a giant vegetative blast of celery. That's about it, it's a V8, seriously a VERY watered down V8. Slightly carbonated with a little fizz but not much, extremely flattened out beer as if a steamroller went over it. I can't even comment about what "beer" is suppose to be in this thing.

Overall pretty much awful, even a bad example of a mixed drink. You'd be better off buying cheap beer and mixing it with something else, if that's your thing.

1.63/5  rDev -19.7%

Budweiser Chelada pours a finger of rapidly collapsing
head over an opaque salmon colored liquid. Carbonation
after an initial hard pour is hard to guage but likely slow.
The nose is tomato-y and *gllk* ...meaty as well. The flavor
is corn lager and tomato juice with a peppery finish- there's
a nice bit of heat in the throat as it *ulp* ...goes down. The
flavor almost makes you forget about the juice of dead filter
feeding invertebrates that makes up the clam in clamato.
Transcends swill. It's something to try so you can say you
did. *Urk*

1.62/5  rDev -20.2%

Oh my god. How many people at Budweiser did this product go through, and not one of them said "this sucks" or "why are we doing this" or "is this supposed to taste good". Here is all the review you need to know. Beer + tomato juice + salt. AND it's even advertised on the can that this is beer WITH SALT. So it tastes like a weak watered down bloody marry further watered down with beer, then a ton of salt on top that. I just can't believe how this product made it to store shelves. Think about what that takes (business decision, brewing, marketing, and manufacturing of finished can product). Most brewpubs and micro breweries have a hard enough time getting their stuff in bottles and sold in stored and this SH*T makes it.

1.6/5  rDev -21.2%

Looks almost exactly like a glass of cranberry ginger ale. In retrospect, I much rather would have had a glass of that. Smells strongly of tomato juice, and slightly of clams, which is what I remember Clamato smelling like. Has a strange soda-like fizz to it as well.

Tastes a lot like someone was going to make a Bloody Mary, but couldn't find any vodka, so they used Budweiser instead. Then used way too much salt. Then decided to juice assorted sea creatures into the mix. The lime the can claims is in there seems strangely nonexistent. If it did exist, I'm not sure it would help.

I've never had the misfortune of drinking a glass of fish blood, but I expect this is what it tastes like.

This is not a beer. This is the worst Bloody Mary ever created. Avoid it like the plague.

1.57/5  rDev -22.7%

This beer is true to it's ingredients: Beer and tomato juice. The sharp acidic flavor of the tomato dominates the beer, leaving little appreciation of the timid lager characteristics. The carbonation amplifies the acidity of the beer, giving a harshness that makes drinking difficult. Pungent and diry throughout. The watery mouthfeel comes from a thinning of the tomato juice and giving an alka-selzer-like texture and taste. Nausiating at best; unfit for human consumption at worse. I render it undrinkable.

1.56/5  rDev -23.2%

Reviewed in the Blind Beer BIF. 24oz can poured into a MBC glass

A:  Dark peach/puke color with a head that is gone before I could even measure it.  Couldn't even get any back with a swirl. No lace (2)

S:  Oh dear god.  It's like a Bloody Mary with a can of tuna juice dropped in.  Or wait, spaghettios! Regardless, since this is beer, it's flat out awful (1)

T: Carbonated bloody Mary and/or liquid spaghettios.  To replacate this beer, put some spaghettios in a blender and add seltzer and BOOM... you have this beer.  Just repulsive (2)

M:  Ummm, uber thin with decent amount of carb (2)

D: Tuuuuribbble.  Would never buy this.  Shouldn't be considered beer. Only drank about 4oz before drainpouring. Offered to other people at my apartment and they also passed (1)

1.55/5  rDev -23.6%

Gross. This beer was kind of orange and hazy, reddish maybe, no head, big bubble carbonation, no head, no lacing, looked gross.

Aroma was salty, the way the ocean is salty, smelled like seaweed.

Beer is thin and salty with this seafood flavor that is nearly intolerable. The lime comes up later, undrinkable. One of the worse beers I've ever had.

Side bar: When I poured the remainder of the can out, it got darker, there were no instructions to shake the can before serving, I think the majority of tomato juice settled out.

1.54/5  rDev -24.1%

Super cloudy red with chunks of tomato. The head was super fizzy and disappeared almost immediately, leaving zero lace.

Smell is extremely heavily tomato, with heavy lime and a good portion of cardboard box.

Taste is super spicy, peppery with tons of clamato and a slightly sweet tomato paste finish.

Body is watery and poor, with almost an after-burn from the spices.

I've had the chelada light, and it's much better. However, they're both still bad, and bud regular chelada is a near drainpour unless you're out of money, too drunk to go to the store, or have no tastebuds.

1.54/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Starts with super thick head with large bubbles that disappears in about 5 secs. Smells like tomato juice with just a hint of beer. Tastes like tomato juice and goes down like an adjunct, but burns going down throat. This is only slightly better than Bud Light & Clamato. Only reason I'm gonna finish it is because I hate to throw out beer.

1.53/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This literally tastes like ketchup flavored seltzer. Has a spiciness on the finish that stays on the back of your tongue. Watery mouthfeel but carbonation is very much there. It's just weird. Not surprised this kind of thing is popular in Canada where ketchup flavored chips are also found.

1.53/5  rDev -24.6%

I'm glad I didn't pay for this one. My father-in-law had it in the fridge, so I thought I would give it a try. My initial thought is that your enjoyment of this beer will be more on whether you like tomato juice, rather than if you like beer.

A - Grapefruit red, actually rather pleasant on the eyes. Fizzy head that dissipates as quick as you pour. Zero lacing. Flaky bits of red float throughout.

S - Tomato dominates, obviously.

T - Sweet tomatoes, very strong at the beginning. Next, comes the salt and pepper. The beer ends with the smallest of small hint of beer. A very odd combination. Again if you like tomato juice (I can do without), this one might agree with you. Otherwise, leave it.

M - Blah

D - I drank half of my glass and was done. Why waste the calories.

1.51/5  rDev -25.6%

Just recently moved out to LA and this seems to be pretty popular out here, especially among the Hispanic population. A lot of my coworkers say that they drink this so I thought I'd give it a try. Surprisingly cheap.

Poured from the 24oz can into a large mug.

A: The beer is a pure cloudy red with a tannish 2.5 finger head with pretty poor retention. I've never seen anything like this before. Strange coloration, but is actually exactly what you would expect tomato juice poured into beer to look like.

S: You can smell this on more than a foot away from the glass. Classic Budweiser smell of grain and corn first, but then comes the lime juice and then a hint of salty briny seawater, and last an overly sweet and peppery tomato-y fruity character that is not only fake, but smells like something you would regurgitate at the end of a rough night.

T: Tomato isn't actually as huge as I thought but it's a definite presence. Much more corn and lime and grain. It's very sickeningly sweet. Almost syrupy. Awful.

I will never drink this again but I guess it was good for the experience. Wow, what an experiment. It would be ok maybe if you made one of these yourself with natural ingredients, but this was just plain bad.

1.5/5  rDev -26.1%

Tomato juice has never crossed my lips. Neither has V-8. Nor clams. Nor clam juice. I have had Budweiser a few times and was... 'thoroughly disgusted' gets it about right. The clam juice, however, is what's making me more apprehensive about drinking this stuff than any beer (or beer-like beverage) that I've ever imbibed. That said, this review of Budweiser Chelada will be conducted with an open mind.

Murky coral that could also be described as pinkish orange. The head (hurry, before it's gone!) is pale pink and has an odd texture that resembles cotton candy. It falls to a thin film in less than a minute, is gone shortly after, and leaves the glass covered with a slimy film. Gotta be the clam juice. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Chelda smells nothing like beer. Not even close. It smells like watery crushed tomatoes and celery salt. There's also a faint fishiness that is, thankfully, so subtle that I am no longer afraid to tip the glass up. Well, not much anyway. No lime is noted.

After the smallest sip possible... it isn't completely revolting. Nor is it enjoyable, but at least I'll be able to get it down (and, hopefully, keep it down) for the purposes of this review. Again, this concoction tastes nothing at all like beer.

A-B, Inc. doesn't list the milligrams of sodium on the can. Probably because they're sky-high. Again, watery tomatoes lead the way, with the same background fishiness that is found in the nose. Please don't make me drink any more looking for flavor nuances.

The body/mouthfeel is light with an underlying slick sliminess that is unpleasant. At least the carbonation isn't fizzing up the joint. It's probably unavoidable given the ingredients, but the mouthfeel is limiting my drinking more than the flavor.

In the end, Budweiser Chelada is pretty much what was expected. More power to those who brew it and to those who enjoy it, but I'm going to try to forget this experience as quickly and as completely as humanly possible.

1.48/5  rDev -27.1%

Shared with ShanePB a few weeks ago. Had side to side with Chelada light.

Going to stray from my usual review format for this one. This beer was extremely similar to the light version (see review), except that it was a bit more pungent. The aroma was a bit stronger and spicier, as was the flavor profile.

This beer tastes like over salted, watery tomato juice with pepper and horseradish thrown in. Does not resemble a beer at all.

1.48/5  rDev -27.1%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a cloudy rose color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mostly of tomato's and not so good. Taste is well, I'm finding it hard to find the words to describe it. Putrid comes to mind. Feels disgusting in the mouth. I would like to congradulate Anheuser-Busch for brewing my first ever drain pour.

1.46/5  rDev -28.1%

Clam Juice= Terrible
Tomato Juice= Terrible

This can't end good. So what I gather from talking to a few people, this is similar to the bloody mary to cure a hangover thing. Unfortunately, I'll be drinking this as my first beer of the day in the early afternoon.

I refuse to taint my glasses with this mess, so I will be drinking this directly from the 24 oz can it comes in. Thus, the appearance will receive a 3 to be fair. I would do the same for the aroma, but as soon as I crack the can, the stench emitting from it is overpowering. I'll put it like this, after taking a sip, my wife refused to kiss me and told me to go brush my teeth first.

As I take my first sip, I remind myself to remain objective despite my prior assumptions of the beer. Didn't take long for the preconceived notion to come to fruition though. This is going to take awhile to get down.

All I'm getting is clamato. I ask myself maybe I was supposed to shake it. I examine the can and see "Ino Agite! Do not Shake. Rotate gently to mix" DOH!! Can't rotate it gently now so I pour it into one of those cheap plastic cup you get as souvenirs from places. There is all kinds of shit floating in this. Bits of tomato and clam? I just threw up in my mouth a little.

It also smells worse now. The can actually did it justice. Kept the aroma back and hid all the shit suspended in it.

Pouring it into the cup did let some of the Budweiser come through, but clamato still dominates. This shit sucks. I told myself I would finish it no matter what, but this is gonna be tough.

This beer is terrible. Ticker or not, I'd try to avoid this one if I were you.

1.45/5  rDev -28.6%

So after reading a few reviews I decided to give this a try...big mistake

First of all, a tall boy will run you about $2.50
Secondly, the can says 'con sal y limon' aka with salt and lemon' which is complete bullshit
A: Looked exactly like tomato soup...honestly it looked better after I threw it into the intracoastal...even then, in brown ocean water mind you, it left a red trail

S: Salsa, tomato soup, salt...anything but beer in the nose

T: I kid you not, this beer literally tastes like tomato soup...if you are sick, pour out this can in a bowl, microwave it, and dip some saltines in it

MF: Very thick, slimy

D: Not a chance

Overall, this beer should not be called beer...the label and ingredients are completely misleading. I am now scared after drinking this beer resulting in a phobia of AB beers that are marketed as 'refreshing' or in spanish

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch