Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

pDev: 53%
Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)

Never had this one either and also sampled last night on 8/18/14. This one came in a 25 ounce can for $2.39. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage "Budwesier' thumb print glass goblet that I bought for 59 cents about a mont ago at the local Salvation Army Store in 'like-new' condition.

Pours a pinkish-red in color with no head to speak of and no lacing to mention either. The aroma is would be expected and is of 'beer and tomato juice'. More going on with the taste as you can taste the lime and salt in the mix also. A little tangy on the tongue. Not as bad as i did except but not a great one either. It is different.

4.25/5  rDev +112.5%

3.25/5  rDev +62.5%

3.5/5  rDev +75%

3.63/5  rDev +81.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I didn't want to see what this looked like in a glass, if I was actually going to drink it. Pinkish foam always puts me off. So I drank it out of the can. Coarse carbonation on the tongue and the appropriately zingy mouthfeel, can't hate that. The smell is metallic tomato, I agree with the haters on that.

This stuff is actually pretty good. It's an improvement over the Bud Light concoctions as it actually tastes somewhat beery. But it's also an improvement over unadlturated Budweiser. The flavor is mostly fizzy and quite spicy Clamato. Tangy and acidic with something not entirely unlike lime. Not bad at all if you like Clamato, and it was the ideal gulp with a day-old sandwich and the taste of sea water in my mouth.

From the 16 oz can purchased at the supermarket. I hated on a revered Crooked Stave sour "Saison," so I feel better praising this flavored beer-like substance.

1.25/5  rDev -37.5%

3.86/5  rDev +93%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4

I am not Mexican, but sometimes I feel like one. Especially on those hot summer days when I'm dirty. Twenty five ounces of Labomba! Makes me feel classy drinking a cocktail with the king of beers. Don't take too much on for the first sip, if shaken let it have a siesta, it can hit the back of your mouth and you may have the taste of puked Clamato. After that...enjoy the journey. Despite it's contents, the taste is perfumy and not too heavy. To make it authentic, I suggest enjoying it in an ice filled glass with a splash of worecestshire sauce and a slice of lime. But, if you bought a can of this you probably drink it from it's container wrapped in the brown paper bag coozie.

2/5  rDev 0%

2.25/5  rDev +12.5%

2.5/5  rDev +25%

2/5  rDev 0%

3.11/5  rDev +55.5%

Graciously donated at a recent bottle share in Portland. Was told by the lucky owner that he'd had this particular can for a couple of years.

What struck me the most about the serving format for this beer, is that it came in a 25 ounce can. I didn't find this beer to be nearly as horrendous as I was expecting, but even so, I can't imagine any circumstance where I'd want to drink 25 ounces of this stuff.

The beer pours a pinkish red color with no head and no lacing. Frankly, it looks (and for that matters tastes) like a somewhat watered down glass of V8 juice. So yeah, the beer looks pretty bizarre, but I guess that's no surprise.

On the nose, this wasn't really all that bad. Once again, the beer smells like tomatoe/V8 juice, with some noticable light clam juice, celery salt and maybe some lime. Again, obviously these aren't aromas I normally associate with beer, but it wasn't awful.

The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, and one thing I really liked about this beer, is that there was absolutely no sign of the base beer (not that I drink bud all that often, but there really wasn't much of an underlying beer flavor to this stuff). Otherwise, I got some V8, claim juice, more celery salt and even some light heat from what tasted like either chili peppers or horseradish. It really wasn't too bad. You can barely tell there's some alcohol in this beer, but it's pretty well disguised actually, and blends in quite well with the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, and the beer didn't seem to have much carbonation (not sure if that's on purpose, or if the two years in can had something to do with that). However, the finish is fairly smooth, and it wasn't too difficult to drink (though again, it's pretty hard to imagine drinking a whole lot of this).

The biggest criticism I would make of this stuff, is that it really doesn't taste like it has anything in common with beer. I'll take the manufacturers word for it that there is some bud in this stuff, but I sure didn't pick it up on nose or palate. Also, while I might not want to drink this stuff, I can think of a number of uses I could make of this stuff for cooking (would go great in chili or in a red pasta sauce I think).

Another example of why it's always good to keep an open mind when sampling something new or outside one's experience. I thought this would be flat out awful, but it really wasn't. Really enjoyed the opportunity to try this at long last.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch