Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007

1.35/5  rDev -32.8%

Being the adventurous sort, I'll try any beer once. Give it it's fair shake so to speak. Here is an honest assessment.

Don't. Just plain don't. Leave it on the shelf, back away slowly and avoid eye contact.

It poured a murky reddish/grapefruit color and was initially appealing to the eye. When brought to the nose it smelled of beer and clamato as expected. The initial mouthful was perplexing. The carbonation was spritely, and felt good, but the flavor of the concoction was not jiving with the initial sniff. I have no way to describe the dismay I felt as soon as it passed my lips. I soldiered on and finished anyway. Three cans remained, and I was determined to not let my first impression be clouded by the psychological effect Chelada had on me.

Over the course of the next week, I had one can every other day allowing my palate to recover. Each sip was as terrible as the first from can one through can four. This one is a definative low in my book. I give this one a ne'er again and leave it in my wake.

Slainte!

1.36/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I obtained this unholy concoction after seeing it sitting rather innocuously in the fridge at my local Beerporium. I know now that I had fallen into an elaborate trap to rape my tastebuds and possibly get rid of some ancient Campbell's tomato soup that was taking up space somewhere around the Budweiser factory. If you are thinking of picking up this beer, there is an important question to ask yourself. Say, "Self, have I ever had the craving to put some pretty mediocre beer into old tomato soup and then add clam byproducts and a half a pound of salt?". If you answered yes to that, seek help. If you answered no but are still curious, I have braved this demon solution and possibly lived to tell the tale. The beer poured a pinkish red with a large pink head. It visually reminds me of a cranberry gingerale I had once. Any similarities between this demon brew and a beverage end there. The smell is of tomatoes and clams, with a hint of what may be beer in the background. Since I don't normally mix seafood and fruits with my beer, this smell was not entirely appealing. The taste is tomato and humdrum beer followed by a clammy taste that is mercifully killed fairly quickly by the judicious amount of salt that was likely included in the beer to kill off any potentially lethal pathogens. The mouthfeel is like watered down carbonated tomato soup, and it's about as drinkable as you would expect watered down carbonated tomato soup to be. Since there are sober kids in Africa, I will down the rest of this beer. Let this review be my last will and testament if I don't survive the ordeal.

1.4/5  rDev -30.3%

A:The color is a dark pink that pours a think head that disappears pretty quick.

S:Smells of Tomato Juice and beer, with a little bit of spice or salsa

T:All I could taste was bad beer with alot of Tomato Juice. The Tomato taste lingers in the month and throat for really long time.

M:Fizzy with I swear a little tomato pulp in the mouthfeel.

D:I had a hard time just forcing my self to take the first sip. After the first sip, I could not force myself to take another sip. I had to pour the rest out, this was one of the worst beers that I have ever tried.

I saw this beer and had to try it becasue, it looked so bad. It was so bad that I had to buy a couple of can to take back for the friends to try.

1.4/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

For some reason I've been on a quest to drink macros lately solely to review. I was walking through the supermarket today and decided I was finally gonna get this stuff. I was so embarassed walking around with it. Normally I'm very proud of my beer, but I was just hoping there weren't any beer geeks in the store that were gonna laugh at me. Anyway, here goes...

Pours an orangey/pink color and is opaque. There is a small pink head that quickly dissipates to leave residue all around the glass.

The aroma is interesting. Spicey tomato, kind of like a bloody mary. It's kind of salty, some alcohol. I can't pick out the fishy or lime that other people have mentioned, but it's probably there.

Taste is interesting. Definitely tomato, but it's wierd because of the carbonation. A clamy aftertaste and some definite salt. Lime as it enters the mouth. I dont' think I taste the Budweiser really.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with a good deal of carbonation.

Drinkability is incredibly low. The combination of flavors just isn't doing it for me. I've consumed a good portion of the can for this review and it's starting to make me feel sick. Incredibly odd. I am however glad I tried it, and will probably eventually get around to trying the Bud light and clamato.

Budweiser Chelada, I dedicate my 69th review to you!

24 fluid ounces.

Looks almost exactly like pink grapefruit juice, but a couple shades darker. A light pink head erodes to just a mere halo. Lots of tiny suspended matter visible through this murky reddish-pink liquid.

Smells nothing like beer or any tomato concoction I've ever raised to my nostrils. More like bad B.O. beacuse I can detected sour, salt, musty & funky - all in a real bad way.

Taste: Salty - check. Tomato - actually there is a noticably (somewhat) accurate tomato balance that is zesty and a little spicy. Lime - yes, there is a sourness that *might* resemble lime - anyway, it's sour. Clam - how about an earthy funk that could taste like either a sun-rotten warm clam -OR- a pussing infected wound.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and very flat.

Drinkability is horrible. The remaining 20(ish) onces are heading for the kitchen sink as soon as I'm done.

Overall there are some redeeming qualities to this putrid offering, but it is mostly gut wrenching. The spiciness is a little appealing, because it does bring out some mediorce tomato essence - but that's where the 'good' ends. Maybe Jeffrey Dahmer would have liked this beer?

1.4/5  rDev -30.3%

As already stated, the concept of mixing beer and tomato/Clamato juice is nothing new. A "red eye" has been around for decades, and I don't believe its origins come from south of the border. I think AB went the "chelada" route because of recent trends, and the fact Clamato juice has really taken off in Mexico and Central America, and has become a huge market for Clamato. I'm a big fan of Clamato juice, I enjoy a red eye, so how bad could it be? This beer pours to a opaque pink color, with a pink head that quickly fades, and a vibrant carbonation. The nose on this beer is a mix of lime/Clamato which is nice if you like that, trouble is, most don't. The palate is salty, with Clamato flavor, which pretty masks any beer flavor. This beer ends with more Clamato/salty flavors, then ends with a hint of lime flavor and salt that lingers. Not a very good example of red eye. If you like Clamato (I love it) it is palatable for that reason alone. That being said, you would do far better making your own red eye with a better tasting beer, Clamato, or what ever tomato based juice you fancy. Worth a try for the curious, but not a beer I would ever purchase again.

1.44/5  rDev -28.4%

24 oz can in dog-faced mug bought for my by my Jenny.

A: Pink and fizzy. Its this red pop?

S&T: Funny this reminds me of the odor and I once experienced after drinking several quarts of beer and other drinks and staying up all night to go to the breakfast club at grand prix weekend at Purdue university. They had big vats of bloody mary mix that they were serving to all the drunks that were up all night. They would just dip the cup hand arm and all into the vat and serve it up. It smelled and kind of tasted like this beer.
All that aside We have a strange concoction. Smells like clams, bloody mary, and a bit of lime with a bad beer. Kind of smells like Datoyna Beach too. Tastes like it smells.

M: Thumbs down.

D: I had to dump it into a jar to save for cooking. I think this will be an awesome beer to cook and marinate with.

1.45/5  rDev -27.9%

So after reading a few reviews I decided to give this a try...big mistake

First of all, a tall boy will run you about $2.50
Secondly, the can says 'con sal y limon' aka with salt and lemon' which is complete bullshit
A: Looked exactly like tomato soup...honestly it looked better after I threw it into the intracoastal...even then, in brown ocean water mind you, it left a red trail

S: Salsa, tomato soup, salt...anything but beer in the nose

T: I kid you not, this beer literally tastes like tomato soup...if you are sick, pour out this can in a bowl, microwave it, and dip some saltines in it

MF: Very thick, slimy

D: Not a chance

Overall, this beer should not be called beer...the label and ingredients are completely misleading. I am now scared after drinking this beer resulting in a phobia of AB beers that are marketed as 'refreshing' or in spanish

1.45/5  rDev -27.9%

24oz. can purchased at a Sheetz in VA on the first day of our annual Thanksgiving weekend beer trek. Thanks to Deuane for sharing... I guess!

A - Poured a hazy pinkish, watermelon-colored body with the quickest disappearing bubbly white head I've ever seen. Quite effervescent with huge bubbles of carbonation swimming to the top of the glass.

S - Hmmmm... smells like a clam bake with a hint of tomato juice and vomit. Seriously, the vomit aroma is reminiscent of a sour burp (aka puke burp).

T - Tastes like clam chowder with a tomato-based broth and salty meat. The clam flavor really lingers. I can't believe I'm saying this, but this could use more tomato flavor and less Bud flavor. There is virtually no hop bitterness, although it kind of reminds me when you swallow ocean water.

M - Thin, moderately carbonated body with a watery texture, but still kind of slick from the addition of the clamato juice. Mouthfeel is also a bit coarse from the salt.

D - Perhaps this beer would work well with a tomato-based soup or seafood, but I can't fathom why anyone would combine these ingredients. This beer answers the question: How can you make Bud taste even worse?

Brewslut's Quote of the Day:
"I've smelled vomit that smelled better than this."

1.46/5  rDev -27.4%

Budweiser=Terrible
Clam Juice= Terrible
Tomato Juice= Terrible

This can't end good. So what I gather from talking to a few people, this is similar to the bloody mary to cure a hangover thing. Unfortunately, I'll be drinking this as my first beer of the day in the early afternoon.

I refuse to taint my glasses with this mess, so I will be drinking this directly from the 24 oz can it comes in. Thus, the appearance will receive a 3 to be fair. I would do the same for the aroma, but as soon as I crack the can, the stench emitting from it is overpowering. I'll put it like this, after taking a sip, my wife refused to kiss me and told me to go brush my teeth first.

As I take my first sip, I remind myself to remain objective despite my prior assumptions of the beer. Didn't take long for the preconceived notion to come to fruition though. This is going to take awhile to get down.

All I'm getting is clamato. I ask myself maybe I was supposed to shake it. I examine the can and see "Ino Agite! Do not Shake. Rotate gently to mix" DOH!! Can't rotate it gently now so I pour it into one of those cheap plastic cup you get as souvenirs from places. There is all kinds of shit floating in this. Bits of tomato and clam? I just threw up in my mouth a little.

It also smells worse now. The can actually did it justice. Kept the aroma back and hid all the shit suspended in it.

Pouring it into the cup did let some of the Budweiser come through, but clamato still dominates. This shit sucks. I told myself I would finish it no matter what, but this is gonna be tough.

This beer is terrible. Ticker or not, I'd try to avoid this one if I were you.

1.48/5  rDev -26.4%

Shared with ShanePB a few weeks ago. Had side to side with Chelada light.

Going to stray from my usual review format for this one. This beer was extremely similar to the light version (see review), except that it was a bit more pungent. The aroma was a bit stronger and spicier, as was the flavor profile.

This beer tastes like over salted, watery tomato juice with pepper and horseradish thrown in. Does not resemble a beer at all.

1.48/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a cloudy rose color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mostly of tomato's and not so good. Taste is well, I'm finding it hard to find the words to describe it. Putrid comes to mind. Feels disgusting in the mouth. I would like to congradulate Anheuser-Busch for brewing my first ever drain pour.

1.5/5  rDev -25.4%

Tomato juice has never crossed my lips. Neither has V-8. Nor clams. Nor clam juice. I have had Budweiser a few times and was... 'thoroughly disgusted' gets it about right. The clam juice, however, is what's making me more apprehensive about drinking this stuff than any beer (or beer-like beverage) that I've ever imbibed. That said, this review of Budweiser Chelada will be conducted with an open mind.

Murky coral that could also be described as pinkish orange. The head (hurry, before it's gone!) is pale pink and has an odd texture that resembles cotton candy. It falls to a thin film in less than a minute, is gone shortly after, and leaves the glass covered with a slimy film. Gotta be the clam juice. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

Chelda smells nothing like beer. Not even close. It smells like watery crushed tomatoes and celery salt. There's also a faint fishiness that is, thankfully, so subtle that I am no longer afraid to tip the glass up. Well, not much anyway. No lime is noted.

After the smallest sip possible... it isn't completely revolting. Nor is it enjoyable, but at least I'll be able to get it down (and, hopefully, keep it down) for the purposes of this review. Again, this concoction tastes nothing at all like beer.

A-B, Inc. doesn't list the milligrams of sodium on the can. Probably because they're sky-high. Again, watery tomatoes lead the way, with the same background fishiness that is found in the nose. Please don't make me drink any more looking for flavor nuances.

The body/mouthfeel is light with an underlying slick sliminess that is unpleasant. At least the carbonation isn't fizzing up the joint. It's probably unavoidable given the ingredients, but the mouthfeel is limiting my drinking more than the flavor.

In the end, Budweiser Chelada is pretty much what was expected. More power to those who brew it and to those who enjoy it, but I'm going to try to forget this experience as quickly and as completely as humanly possible.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch