Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007

1.72/5  rDev -15.3%

I saw this little number in the cooler at one of my locals lat night and since I was half (or more) in the bag following Groundhog Day, it seemed like just the thing to buy. Now, in the harsh light of day, my buyer's remorse rivals that feeling of Coyote Ugly that I have also experienced many times over the years.

What is this I see before me? It looked like Pink Grapefruit juice, a favorite of mine. Absolutely no head. Flat as a board. But pretty. Very pink, cloudy, like I said, grapefruit juice. Nose was salty, like the breeze blowing in off the Atlantic, underlain with a tomato-like tang. Frankly, Mr. Shankly, my mouth actually began to water. Now for the moment of truth - an actual mouthfull of it. Wow! The mouthfeel was watery thin. The admixture of salt, clam juice, tomato, and beer was just foul. Whew. It reminded me of the fantail on days when we could not dump trash and garbage and the sharks would troll behind us, hoping that we would chum the waters for them, having built up a smell that would fall a redwood. The finish left a taste that can only be described as decomposing flesh. Putrid. Run, don't walk, to the nearest sink and make this a drain pour. OMFG, 24 oz! My drain is now sick.

1.72/5  rDev -15.3%

16oz can from Tiger Town in Gardiner. Pours a pinkish-red fairly opaque body with large bubble head that dissipates quickly. Smells like tomato with lime. Tastes like tomato, clam, with hints of lime. Medium in body with low carbonation. Not horrible I guess, but not what I'm looking for out of a beer.

1.73/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours out a pinkish tomato with a fizzy head like soda.

Smell. Tomato- salty, some spices, a little seafood.

Taste. tastes like very light tomato juice that is carbonated. Not as strong as the smell, but spices are still present.

Mouthfeel. Body is light and has a crispness.

Overall, i wouldnt knock anyone for liking this, but i sure as hell don't. Seems like a more cultural drink. I'd rather just a bud, or better yet, a bloody mary.

1.73/5  rDev -14.8%

If you’ve ever had a red eye (beer and tomato juice), this is Bud’s Mexicanized variant using Clamato. If you like red eyes, you might like this (although a friend of mine who likes red eyes didn’t). You can’t really think of it as beer, per se, more like a Clamato based cocktail in a can. Actually pretty refreshing. A good morning drink en lieu of a mimosa or bloody mary. You can chug it like Gatorade, too. Much better than regular Bud.

1.74/5  rDev -14.3%

22 oz. can "born-on" 8/14/07 and sampled when it was one month old. On the labeling, English is the second language, just like their target market for this brew. The beer is opaque and sediment-laden, with a color between that of tomato and pink grapefruit juice. It has medium carbonation and a very short-lived, pink head that reduces to nothing; and instead of lacing the glass, it deposits tomato particles. Tomatoes and a lime/clam mixture in the nose, with no discernible beer aroma. I'm not really looking forward to drinking this, but oddly enough, it makes my mouth salivate. Tastes of tomato, salt, and lime up front, backed by shellfish, and perhaps some pepper and celery seed, all mixed with a slight Budweiser flavor, on top of a standard Budweiser body. An interesting brew to say the least, but, overall.... bleech.

1.75/5  rDev -13.8%

A: I'm not sure how this is supposed to look, night as red as I would have expected, more like a tinted amber.

S: Tomato not as prominent, more of the corny budweiser smell with some lime juice coming through.

T: Really bad, reminds me of a bloody mary but so salty its hard to drink. Lime is off-putting too. Just a lot of flavors all trying to compete.

M: Thin and bad, high carbonation.

D: Had a couple sips and poured it.

1.77/5  rDev -12.8%

I'm convinced all the high ratings are AB employees. There is no way a real "beer advocate" would choose this over making their own. Grab your favorite lager and a bottle of clamato juice and mix accordingly. $2.99 a 25oz can, not worth it. Just make your own.

1.78/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours cloudy orange-pink in color, with no head.

Aroma is tomato, celery salt, and an odd musty quality.

Taste is tomato, celery, a touch of hot sauce and soda water. Finish holds the strange musty quality from the nose.

Mouthfeel is thin and spritzy.

Not worth trying again.

1.81/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Pours a cloudy pale pinkish orange in color (not dissimilar to pink grapefruit juice) with some light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a quarter finger tall fizzy pinkish white head that quickly fades to a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of crushed tomatos, tomato juice, celery salt, and something very briny...maybe even fishy.

T: Moderate to strong flavors of watery tomatos, celery salt, salt/brine, and clam juice...there is no beer like flavor from the Budweiser that I can discern.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly slick.

O: This is not something that I will be running out to try again but I'm glad I finally found it as it was rather elusive... Semi-offensive in the smell and taste but I guess it is something that really appeals to different palates (possibly ethnic or diet based...).

1.82/5  rDev -10.3%

12oz can, from a cross-border beer incursion a few weeks ago, and now into an American pint glass, ever so undeservingly, if I may exercise a bit of prejudgement here.

This 'beer' pours a hazy, chunky pale tomato/salmon colour, with some peppery (I assume) sediment, and two fingers of flimsy, weakly foamy, and soapy dirty white head, which disappears faster than you can say, "a drink for the saucy lady at the end of the bar". If you're looking for lace, you've come to the wrong place, I'm afraid - once the head is gone, this looks all too much like plain grapefruit extract, with a thin oily film around the glass - yum.

It smells of salty tomato juice, black pepper, and a faint seafood stench - very cold mall cafeteria soup-like. The taste starts out pretty much like a Bloody Mary or Caesar for me - salty seafood pasta sauce in liquid format - thick tomato juice, cheap fruits de mer, yer typical salt and pepper spice, and really nothing else - any beer characteristics (hah!) are duly subsumed by the heady Clamato additive.

The carbonation is damned-near non-existent, the body thick, rich, and heavy, yet in a wholly different beverage vector - not bad, just not the right one, y'know? It finishes off-dry, weirdly - sweetly vegetal and of course savoury like those questionable hangover cures of my early university days.

Jesus tap-dancing Christ, this is hardly a beer, despite any underlying, undetectable malt and hop attributes (who am I kidding, this is Bud, after all). As a decided non-fan of Caesars, or Bloody Marys, or whatever, all I can say is that this seems like an attempt to cross promote a different bar drink with their own headlining crappy pale lager. Or perhaps this is just some leftover gazpacho I mistakenly dumped into my glass, which would trip the switch in my brain for this from egregiously pandering, to actually palatable, but more for something resembling food, and not this marketing company cum brewery's idea of an actual beer.

1.89/5  rDev -6.9%

Uggh. Intensely repulsive. I understand that someone likes this, but who? It's a combination of mildly peppery and spicy clamato juice and beer. The fishy smell is repulsive, and the tomato doesn't help the flavor. But who can fault the beer? If A-B hadn't mixed it, the people who drink this stuff would have done it themselves!!! Ahghghhhh... it gives me shivers just thinking about it. I really don't think I could learn to drink this even if I was on a deserted island. But that's just me. So how do you judge this? I'm going to have to go with quickly!!!

1.89/5  rDev -6.9%

A –Pours the color of neon-ruby red grapefruit juice… complete with pulp. White head disappears almost instantly.

S – Salsa-like with tomato, pepper, and cilantro. Not a bad thing in and of itself, but to compare this in an honest light (i.e. for a beer that's supposed to have tomato juice in it), the tomato aroma is relatively flat, and more acid than fresh. Interestingly, the more I smell this the more I think the spice note could have actually saved the nose - if they really cranked it up with fresh horseradish or something it could have actually have been pretty interesting. Unfortunately the spice falls flat as well.

T – Salt and V-8 tomato juice, with a touch of black pepper. Honestly, the opening is palatable; it’s basically just a cheap bloody marry. The backend is horrid though, as a wave of sourness ushers in an ocean water finish.

M – Overly carbonated with medium body. It takes a moment before you realize that there are chunks of… something… throughout the drink. Clawing saltiness on the finish.

O – Parts of this aren’t as atrocious as I thought, but the downsides are crushing. If I had to describe this beer in a sentence, I’d say it was an aggressively carbonated, under flavored, and harshly overly salted, bloody marry.

1.98/5  rDev -2.5%

I'll admit it, I do like a red beer now and then, but this one pretty much fails, mostly because I'm not a big fan of Clamato, I usually just use V8 and Budweiser, with some salt and Frank's Red Hot and they taste much better than this.

Pours a light red or pink color, thin pink head. A tad cloudy.

Smelled like tomato juice, with a sort of fermented fish on the back end, which I assume to be the "clam".

Tasted like the smell, a watery tomato juice with a slightly salty rotten clam aftertaste. That's why I don't like Clamato juice, maybe if fresh clam juice was used I would enjoy the Tomato juice/Clam juice mix, but it just doesn't work in Clamato.

I'll stick to my own concoction for red beers. This fails.

1.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Appears...pinkish red, fizzy in a bad way

Smells...mostly like tomato, a little like clam. Not a lot of beer smell. Maybe like dirty tomato juice.

Tastes...overpoweringly salty. Aside from the salt, I have to say it was not as bad as I expected. It tasted very much like a premixed, weak bloody mary. Tasted almost nothing like beer.

Mouthfeel...is like neither beer nor clamato juice. Not awful, but in no way beer-like.

Drinkability...is hurt by the saltiness, but otherwise is light and refreshing if it's very cold. I didn't finish the 24 oz can, but neither would I have finished a 24 oz Bud or a 24 oz Clamato juice.

Honestly, I bought this because it looked gross. It was ultimately not really that gross, though I don't see it being successful with the craft brew crowd. Worth a shot if you already like Bud and want a little spice, but don't want to step up to trying microbrews.

In sum, if the can looks good to you then you'll probably love it. If it looks bad to you, then pass.

Pour: Very Bubbly and carbonated
Nose: Yeast, malt, tomato and spice
Taste: Tomatoey with hints of malt and yeast. No balance to this beer.
Body Thin and the mouthfeel is sloppy
Finish: Very Bitter
Overall: Had better tomato beer than this. Awful, not tasty

2.02/5  rDev -0.5%

Alright, curiosity finally got the best of me, and I had to try this, and then Zorro made me feel compelled to reiew it. I bought this at the local market for a thirst quencher at the beach.
It poured a lite red, pink color like grapefruit juice, but smelled like balls and feet.
I really like bloody mary's and I actually enjoy a Budweiser here and again. I feel that Bud actually has a taste as compared to MGD or Natty, but definitely not one of my favorites. The taste was pretty much what I expected. A Bloody Mary with beer instead of Vodka. Maybe if it were a better beer like a decent pilsner or good lager, this would have worked better. Mouthfeel was a bit thick, tomato-ey, and the Clamato is definitely prevelant. Drinkability sucks. It took me over an hour to finish a 24 oz can.
Overall, based on this review, this beer sucks to me. But I actually kind of enjoyed the experience. As a matter of fact I bought another can the next day, and am thinking about picking one up for the beach today. Oh, by the way, this stuff is flying off the shelves around here, so A-B sure has peaked the interest of consumers. Although I do live in Pismo and 5-Cities area which is predominately a Mexican community, so that may have something to do with it.
I say if you get the chance, pick up a can. Not something for everyone, or many for that matter, but it may be worth a try to some. May be your new guilty pleasure beer...

2.05/5  rDev +1%

a: poured out of a pint can into a normal beer mug, pours a grapefruity red color with about a half inch of very fizzy red head that dissapears as quickly as a soda pop, a ring of lace appears around the edge of the glass
s: tomatoe juice aroma, tabasco, slight sweet/ salty malt aroma
t: hints of bud but a strong taste of tomoato juice and hints of tabasco, deffinatly comparable to a bloody mary
m: medium bodied beer with very little sharp carbonation

overall, i will not drink this again

2.07/5  rDev +2%

Reviewed to style.

Pours a cloudy pink tomato color with a short lived pink head. Smells of salty tomato juice, but not of beer. Tastes follows suit with flavors of tomato juice, brine, V8-like spices and a splash of tobasco in the aftertaste. Brine reminds me of the ocean. Tastes like salty, fishy, tomato ass. Still not getting any beer. Spritzy carbonation, medium-low body, budweiser mouthfeel. Spice lingers after I swallow. I cringe at the thought of drinking this again.

2.1/5  rDev +3.4%

Picked this up from a local grocery store.

Pours a light reddish orange with a thin white head that dissipated quickly leaving no collar. Aroma was of tomato juice and a slight hint of barley. Taste was a red beer. Watery texture. This is not a good beer, but it does have a place it beats making my own red beer. Not great as a beer, but decent in its own right.

2.12/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured a funky orange with the consistency of Hawaiian Punch. A light pink head that was quickly gone.

Has a funky bloody mary like smell with a bit of citrusy lime.

The flavor is a strange mix of slightly sweet tomato juice and a salty lime with a just a hint of bad beer flavor in the finish. Slightly more tomato flavor than the bud light version.

The mouthfeel is very thin, especially for something with tomato juice.

Overall I found it disappointing, Basically no difference between this and the Bud Light. Red Beer can be good, but make your own.

2.14/5  rDev +5.4%

24 oz. can, poured to a pint glass.

Budweiser & Clamato "with Salt and Lime" or "con Sal y Limon", if you prefer.

Some interesting notes:
-This is Budweiser with 'Natural Flavor and Certified Color'
-No Agite! Do Not Shake! ('Rotate Gently to Mix")
-Contains Shellfish/Clams

Review #800. That 'milestone' has crept up slowly but surely; decided on Mexican tonight at an authentic little taqueria nearby (La Sirenita); picked up a can of Bud's Chelada on a whim at the store next door. Served with 3 tacos, including a 'Lengua' one, my first.

A: Oh jeez, how to review? A ruby grapefruit pink/orange color, jarringly vibrant. Gigantic fizzy/frothy head on first pour fills more than half the glass, then settles and winnows away entirely. Lace is unclear: are they flecks of foam or spatters of tomato-ey residue? After the head dies away, this looks remarkably dead like a pulpy fruit/vegetable juice with occasional rising bubbles. Gets a '2' from me, mostly because I like the color.

S: Quirky mix of corn pop sweetness (Bud) and a plump fruity/sugary tomato. Oddly enough, I kinda like it. Cocktail sauce meets macro lager.

T: Spicier than expected, a zesty and salty tomato flavor. Mild lime citrus and the tang of lime are vaguely notable, and cover nearly all traces of 'Budweiser' in this concoction. The spice/lime connection isn't too bad once you get used to it. It's the adjunct-sweet lager flavor that does a disservice...

M: Terrible, really terrible. Slick, oily, lifeless. Nothing redeeming.

D: Given that many reviews consider this to be an abomination, I agree somewhat. The addition of strong adjuncts like Clamato, salt and lime definitely transforms a lackluster lager like Bud into something entirely different. That 'something different' isn't necessarily good for a lover of craft beers, but I can see where there's some appeal here, to be honest. Sort of a fun experiment to see what's out there, but definitely not recommended except for the novelty...

2.16/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Pours a nuclear orange hue with several large bubbles that dissipate quickly. Looks like fruit punch. How do you grade this? What is the expectation for a tomato beer?

S: Tomatoes Beer and Feet

T: An odd combination of beer, tomatoes, salt, and lime. There is so much going on here. Faintly reminiscent of vomit.

MF: You would think something with tomato juice would have more body.

D: I am not going to drink any more of these, and I may not finish this one. If someone wanted this style of drink badly enough, they should make their own.

Later . . . okay. It is growing on me a little. I will finish the can 16oz); raising my drinkability score by .5 a point.

2.2/5  rDev +8.4%

24 fluid ounces of Budweiser & Clamato with salt and lime - the perfect combination, Budweiser beer with natural flavor and certified color (the label's words, not mine).
Picked this up while in the States, looked interesting, plus I like Caesars (vodka and Clamato).
Pours a murky, reddish color, with a bubbly pink head, that quickly turned into a floating scum. Smells like clamato juice, tomatoe. Taste has the saltiness and tomato juice flavor along with the sourish, grainy beer. Sticky mouthfeel.
I am having a hard time rating this one: What is inside is exactly what they claim on the package - beer and clamato, really no different than mixing your own red eye - so you get what you expect, just don't expect too much. It is a beer cocktail, not a unique beer. Tried it once, that was enough.

2.2/5  rDev +8.4%

pours an odd, murky, chunky, grapefruity color with a fizzy white head that goes away as quickly as it appears. Leaves no lace. Smells like low grade tomato juice, fake lime juice and stinky cheap seafood with a hint of cheap hopppy green apple bud type thing going on. Tastes the same with a little sweetness. Just like a bloody mary at a truck stop bar with beer instead of vodka. I've always called them texas bloody mary's. Funky mouthfeel, but I hate to say it... this one is like the bee gees to me... a guilty pleasure. after a night of overindulgence, this one could be an effective hair of the dog type thing. hungover, i would go for a chelada over a rochefort 10 anyday. btw... i poured this 24oz can into two glasses... the second was loaded with hot hot sauce... i now have a new go to hangover helper. i knew bud was good for something.

2.48/5  rDev +22.2%

This is an odd beer... if you would call it that, I dont think there is any way you are going to make heads or tails of the appearance
I was instantly reminded of the smell of beer and pizza vomit and it took a couple of gags to get the first few sips down, but as my palate broke down and figured out a lot of competing flavors, I found myself compelled to drink more. Kinda like sniffing at a dead skunk I guess. I would buy more, but only to make other people unwittingly suffer.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch