Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)

Amp, Dec 23, 2011

valkyre65, Dec 11, 2011

murf1087, Dec 11, 2011

THECPJ, Dec 10, 2011
1.2/5  rDev -39.7%

I would say that this is the worst beer I've ever had... if I could even call it a beer. It tastes similar to V8 juice. It's a fiasco in a can. I can't even believe they are bottling this.

It's full of salt, too! The crappy taste lingers in your mouth, too. It's like roadkill.

Vashtar, Dec 05, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -37.2%

biggied, Nov 29, 2011

mjurney, Nov 19, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -12.1%

orangesol, Nov 15, 2011

UncleJimbo, Nov 14, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +77.4%

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada has a very thin, pink head, which almost instantly fizzes away and a cloudy, pinkish-red appearance with little chunks of something floating about. The aroma is of the Gulf of Mexico and V-8 Juice, with just a hint of lime. Taste is of tomato, clam broth, lime flavor, and some possible beer showing up as well. Mouthfeel is somewhat heavy, and this concoction finishes soupy and weird. Well, I guess this is pretty good, and I would like to have it if I were ever in the mood for Budweiser, tomato juice, lime flavor, and clam broth. I doubt that I will ever be in the mood for that, however. But, one never knows. Overall, it's interesting, if nothing else.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Nov 04, 2011
1.53/5  rDev -23.1%

Super cloudy red with chunks of tomato. The head was super fizzy and disappeared almost immediately, leaving zero lace.

Smell is extremely heavily tomato, with heavy lime and a good portion of cardboard box.

Taste is super spicy, peppery with tons of clamato and a slightly sweet tomato paste finish.

Body is watery and poor, with almost an after-burn from the spices.

I've had the chelada light, and it's much better. However, they're both still bad, and bud regular chelada is a near drainpour unless you're out of money, too drunk to go to the store, or have no tastebuds.

AlCaponeJunior, Oct 04, 2011

Every few times that I log on to BA, I always make a point to stop by and read some of the Chelada reviews. Some of them are so laugh out loud funny, that I have, on occasion, been brought to tears. Truth be told, after reading the negative ones, I've often asked myself if something can really be as bad as this. I mean, I'll try just about anything (beer or otherwise) and most things I find edible and more often than not, enjoyable. So, when I was in Peekskill Beverage earlier today, picking up a sampling of seasonal beers (and man, Peekskill has really upped their craft selection nicely), I spotted a 24 ouncer of Chelada peeking at me from the cooler. Why not?, I asked....and now the only question is WHY?!? I kid you not....I still gag when I think about what I put in my mouth over two hours ago. And it wasn't much, maybe 3-4 oz. The rest was a drainpour. This is the most vile, evil, putrid stuff that resides on God's green earth. I am fully aware that in some Latin countries, this mixture is often pleasing. However, AB's attempt to mass market this stuff is an absolute abomination. You've been warned...

Ralphs66, Oct 02, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +106%

Being a seafood lover, why not try it inside a beer?

A: Watery tomato juice. A reddish, watery look. Head was about 1-finger and rapidly vanished. Sorry, lacing was absent!!

S: Not much!! The smell was rather weak as is their standard Bud. Vaguely Clamato and Bud-cabbage.

T: Spicy!! There is some fishiness due to the Clamato. Front of tongue is actually kinda sweet.

O: A good summer-cooler beer. But I make this myself and even better: Bud, tomato (NOT clam) juice, fresh lime juice and salt. Mine lacks the fishiness...Some of my beer-geek friends have adopted my "Chelada".

Emerson1310, Sep 15, 2011

1 pint 8 fl oz can acquired at a cheap Mexican cornerstore in Los Angeles and served into a hefeweissbier glass in me gaff. Reviewed live. Expectations could not be worse.

A: Three finger head of off-pink vomit colour (really, it's fucking uncanny), terrible retention, and no cream. Colour is a nontransparent hazy red. Horrible appearance all around.

Sm: Vomit and tomato puree, with perchance some light grapefruit. This is one of the worst aromas I've ever encountered. And it's moderately strong to boot.

T: Vomit and tomato. Perhaps putrefaction and vague meconium to boot. Really one of the foulest concoctions I've ever endeavored to swallow. Some light clam notes are present, which add to the mixture in a distinctly miserable way. Horribly, wretchedly built and balanced. Atrociously awful. What in Ireland we refer to as "utter shite". It's like they combined Hitler's bodily fluids (and I do mean ALL of them) with smegma. I imagine it would taste the same on the way up. Seriously disgusting.

Mf: Smooth and wet.

Dr: It's appalling this beer even has a market. Who buys this more than once? This is plain terrible. This is otherwordly in its wretchedness. There's a distinct vomit note, and I say that without hyperbole. It would actually be better if it were watery. Please for the love of God don't consume this filth. This is an insult to beer, even by AH Busch standards. Jaysus H Fooking Christ, lads. Don't even use this for cooking. Unfathomably foul.

If this isn't a 1 out of 5, what is? Where do we draw the line?

kojevergas, Aug 31, 2011
1.48/5  rDev -25.6%

Shared with ShanePB a few weeks ago. Had side to side with Chelada light.

Going to stray from my usual review format for this one. This beer was extremely similar to the light version (see review), except that it was a bit more pungent. The aroma was a bit stronger and spicier, as was the flavor profile.

This beer tastes like over salted, watery tomato juice with pepper and horseradish thrown in. Does not resemble a beer at all.

mdaschaf, Aug 04, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +138.7%

(re-reviewing/editing this about 4 months after the initial review) I have to admit this beer has become something of a guilty pleasure of mine, so I had to edit my review to reflect my change of heart.

24oz can poured into a Budweiser pint glass.

Appearance - Chicos taco's sauce. Watery looking tomato juice. Opaque with visible particulate matter. No head. Weird looking, but proper for the style.

Smell - No smell other than clamato.

Taste - Tastes more like clamato than beer. Has a nice bite. Tomato and sweetness with a slight undercurrent of Budweiser.

Mouthfeel - Clean with a crisp bite. Very refreshing.

Overall Drinkability - Actually really enjoyed this. First time I had it I thought it was pretty gross, maybe because I was drinking it sort of warm from the can. Chilled in a glass is pretty worthy. I've had it several times since the first time I reviewed this beer, and it is now my go-to beer for when I only have a gas station selection.

ZenAgnostic, Jul 24, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass. Done as part of the cocktail and beer experiment.

It is mentioned to gently rotate this said proud vessel but not SHAKE as to give it a little mix, so I did. Regardless I don't think it made a difference in improving my experience.

Chelada pours a disgusting wet and murky orange toilet sewer color. The head is pinky and stupidly soapy and disappears instantly and leaves nothing in it's place. There's lacing alright, there is vegetative legs and stuck flecks that appear either red, black, or just brown. This looks like it belongs in a toilet.

Bouquet. No Roses have a bouquet this has a smell. Amazingly based on everything I've read about this, this was not what I was expecting. This wasn't salty, or briney, but it was vegetative smelling, but did not smell of seaweed, ocean, clams or even tomatoes. IT smelled EXACTLY like boiled celery. Extremely vegetative but I suppose that's expected, but this doesn't smell even like beer. It smells like a spritzy v8 with a million stalks of celery jammed in it. I was thinking of a good thick Caesar but this smells really thin.

Taste.. oh boy look out. Wet, then tomato like with some salty brine, but a giant vegetative blast of celery. That's about it, it's a V8, seriously a VERY watered down V8. Slightly carbonated with a little fizz but not much, extremely flattened out beer as if a steamroller went over it. I can't even comment about what "beer" is suppose to be in this thing.

Overall pretty much awful, even a bad example of a mixed drink. You'd be better off buying cheap beer and mixing it with something else, if that's your thing.

smakawhat, Jul 11, 2011

I ended up at a party the other night, after a long day, mind warped and body tired. I saw folks drinking this beer, and I could not resist the evil pull, something inside my wrecked brain urging me to try it, imploring me, to the point where my desire to try this beer bordered on the brink of obsession, and I just had to try it. And it was fucking disgusting. Somehow the brewers at Anheuser Busch managed to make one of the worst macros out there taste even worse. Luckily, I could not taste any clam juice, but I got a little pickling spice, some cheap tomato juice and a nasty taste lingering in my mouth.

emmasdad, Jul 02, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +112.1%

Im surprised to read the negative feedback. This is a morning pick me up bar none! Obviously these folks have not heard of or made a Red Eye to kick off a great day! The drink of choice for race morning tailgating!!

Try either the Budweiser or Bud Light version and see for yourself. My preference: the full-on Budweiser Chelada!

Scooter14, Jun 15, 2011
1.6/5  rDev -19.6%

Reviewed in the Blind Beer BIF. 24oz can poured into a MBC glass

A:  Dark peach/puke color with a head that is gone before I could even measure it.  Couldn't even get any back with a swirl. No lace (2)

S:  Oh dear god.  It's like a Bloody Mary with a can of tuna juice dropped in.  Or wait, spaghettios! Regardless, since this is beer, it's flat out awful (1)

T: Carbonated bloody Mary and/or liquid spaghettios.  To replacate this beer, put some spaghettios in a blender and add seltzer and BOOM... you have this beer.  Just repulsive (2)

M:  Ummm, uber thin with decent amount of carb (2)

D: Tuuuuribbble.  Would never buy this.  Shouldn't be considered beer. Only drank about 4oz before drainpouring. Offered to other people at my apartment and they also passed (1)

Brez07, Jun 11, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -5.5%

A –Pours the color of neon-ruby red grapefruit juice… complete with pulp. White head disappears almost instantly.

S – Salsa-like with tomato, pepper, and cilantro. Not a bad thing in and of itself, but to compare this in an honest light (i.e. for a beer that's supposed to have tomato juice in it), the tomato aroma is relatively flat, and more acid than fresh. Interestingly, the more I smell this the more I think the spice note could have actually saved the nose - if they really cranked it up with fresh horseradish or something it could have actually have been pretty interesting. Unfortunately the spice falls flat as well.

T – Salt and V-8 tomato juice, with a touch of black pepper. Honestly, the opening is palatable; it’s basically just a cheap bloody marry. The backend is horrid though, as a wave of sourness ushers in an ocean water finish.

M – Overly carbonated with medium body. It takes a moment before you realize that there are chunks of… something… throughout the drink. Clawing saltiness on the finish.

O – Parts of this aren’t as atrocious as I thought, but the downsides are crushing. If I had to describe this beer in a sentence, I’d say it was an aggressively carbonated, under flavored, and harshly overly salted, bloody marry.

vfgccp, Jun 06, 2011
3.23/5  rDev +62.3%

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Chilled to approx 38 degrees (Warmed while drinking)
22oz Can purchased in Kansas (Full-strength)
(I actually love traditional 'hand-made' Cheladas. Let's see if this pre-packaged version can compare.)

This isn't starting off very well. Looks like any average BMC macro lager with a medium-shade pink tint to it. A 'real' Chelada looks alot more like tomato juice or something. This looks like pink grapefruit soda. The head was about thre-fingers tall, but receded quite rapidly. Lacing is practically non-existent.

The smell is much better, actually. A good dose of Clamato presence is here. (I love Clamato.) The lime and salt presence are somewhat light, but at least they are detected. Below that is the Alka-Seltzer/corniness of an average macro.

Sadly, I can tell that a decent Chelada just might be hiding in this can. Unfortunately, A-B seems to have covered it/destroyed it with a big dose of sugarey sweetness. Too much corn sweetner was added, I'd guess. The lager taste is offset by the wonderful tomato juice-like taste. Then the lime and salt come into play and everything starts working. Just as you are getting ready to enjoy it though, in comes an abnormal and un-needed sweetness to destroy it.
Damn.

It's a medium body and has a medium level of carbonation. It works okay, but is actually on the thin side of what it should be, traditionally.

Overall, I guess that I'll keep making my own. They taste much better. If I drank a couple of them everyday, this might work out, but I only drink them about a dozen times a year.

coldmeat23, May 13, 2011