2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser & Clamato CheladaBudweiser & Clamato Chelada

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 219 | Reviews: 138 | Show All Ratings:
mattster

2.7/5  rDev +35.7%

I was in the grocery buying some better beer, saw this and thought I would try it as to see how it was.

The color was a muddy red, like Clamato. The smell was overly Clamato as well.

Quite a heavy mouth feel due to the higher density of the beer.

Poured it into a standard pint glass. The taste was more Clamato than beer. This was the first time that I've had BUD that I didn't get sick about an hour after drinking it, but it still has that Bud lack of flavor that keeps me from buying the brand.

09-09-2007 12:02:32 | More by mattster
timtim

District of Columbia

2.2/5  rDev +10.6%

pours an odd, murky, chunky, grapefruity color with a fizzy white head that goes away as quickly as it appears. Leaves no lace. Smells like low grade tomato juice, fake lime juice and stinky cheap seafood with a hint of cheap hopppy green apple bud type thing going on. Tastes the same with a little sweetness. Just like a bloody mary at a truck stop bar with beer instead of vodka. I've always called them texas bloody mary's. Funky mouthfeel, but I hate to say it... this one is like the bee gees to me... a guilty pleasure. after a night of overindulgence, this one could be an effective hair of the dog type thing. hungover, i would go for a chelada over a rochefort 10 anyday. btw... i poured this 24oz can into two glasses... the second was loaded with hot hot sauce... i now have a new go to hangover helper. i knew bud was good for something.

09-01-2007 23:41:54 | More by timtim
BeerBob

Nebraska

4.3/5  rDev +116.1%

Budweiser & Clamato “Chelada” pours a Clamato red from a 1 pint 8 fl. Oz. Brightly Lithographed Pop top Aluminum can. Head went to over two fingers, before disappearing completely.

Nose is a bit metallic, but not offensive, followed by whiffs of tomato and clam.

Palate is a smooth spicy tomatoes and clam juice, followed by the bight of carbonation.

A delicious blend of “Budweiser & Clamato”. For breakfast with a Western omelet, or lunch with hot dogs, and /or supper with just about anything!

I like this, I like this a lot!

08-26-2007 00:05:36 | More by BeerBob
bradford

Alright, curiosity finally got the best of me, and I had to try this, and then Zorro made me feel compelled to reiew it. I bought this at the local market for a thirst quencher at the beach.
It poured a lite red, pink color like grapefruit juice, but smelled like balls and feet.
I really like bloody mary's and I actually enjoy a Budweiser here and again. I feel that Bud actually has a taste as compared to MGD or Natty, but definitely not one of my favorites. The taste was pretty much what I expected. A Bloody Mary with beer instead of Vodka. Maybe if it were a better beer like a decent pilsner or good lager, this would have worked better. Mouthfeel was a bit thick, tomato-ey, and the Clamato is definitely prevelant. Drinkability sucks. It took me over an hour to finish a 24 oz can.
Overall, based on this review, this beer sucks to me. But I actually kind of enjoyed the experience. As a matter of fact I bought another can the next day, and am thinking about picking one up for the beach today. Oh, by the way, this stuff is flying off the shelves around here, so A-B sure has peaked the interest of consumers. Although I do live in Pismo and 5-Cities area which is predominately a Mexican community, so that may have something to do with it.
I say if you get the chance, pick up a can. Not something for everyone, or many for that matter, but it may be worth a try to some. May be your new guilty pleasure beer...

06-24-2007 18:06:43 | More by bradford
Zorro

2.75/5  rDev +38.2%

Something new and apparently ANOTHER beer made for the Latin market, Born on Date is 05 June. The beer says on the can "Budweiser & Clamato Con Sal Y Limon La Combination Perfecta" Translates as Bud with Clamato juice and salt and lemon the perfect combination.

Before I get to a serious review of this beer let me state that I have no expectations that this will in fact be anything good.

The can states that do not shake and slowly rotate the can in Spanish then in English.

In the glass this is a cloudy dark pink to cloudy red colored beer as in tomato juice red. Head doesn't form much at all, guess clams are a form preventative agent or is it the tomato juice?

The smell is very much muted. Smells vaguely like salsa but there simply isn't much scent here to detect at all. The scent of Budweiser is completely masked.

The taste begins salty with a big hit of celery and salt. This tastes EXACTLY like a Bloody Mary made from lager beer. Fairly salty I could almost call this salsa-flavored soda. It in no way tastes like beer but I also can not say that it tastes bad in anyway. The Clamato juice completely obliterates the taste of Budweiser, what little there was in the first place.

The mouthfeel is fairly thick, must be the Clamato juice!

Drinkability is probably about a one as a beer. As a beverage I have to admit that this is pretty tasty and if I HAD to guess this is pretty much intended as a Bloody Mary replacement for fighting off hangovers. I must say that if I had to choose to drink this or Budweiser I would pick this. There is also a version made from Bud Light, I will review that one tomorrow.

06-24-2007 03:55:06 | More by Zorro
rye726

Colorado

Saw this at the store and had to try it. Ended up being a good way to increase my appreciation for quality beer. A cloudy pinkish red with not much of a head. The nose and taste are of watered down tomato juice and stale grains. Thin body with too much carbonation. Terrible stuff.

05-08-2009 17:39:52 | More by rye726
popery

Horrible. Just horrible. It looks like ruby red grapefruit juice. Zero head. Murky liquid with frightening floaties lurking in the depths. The aroma is mostly rotting vegetable matter with a light smack of clam. The flavor is fairly putrid. I've never had clamato, but I do like V-8. This is gross. I'm not sure what else to say about it. Well, I will say that Bud Chelada doesn't exactly belong on the same scale as a normal beer. It's not really possible to judge the brewing quality because it is very difficult to taste the beer. What I can judge is that the combination of this beer, Clamato, lime and salt is horrible.

12-22-2008 04:20:28 | More by popery
colts9016

Idaho

Pour: Very Bubbly and carbonated
Nose: Yeast, malt, tomato and spice
Taste: Tomatoey with hints of malt and yeast. No balance to this beer.
Body Thin and the mouthfeel is sloppy
Finish: Very Bitter
Overall: Had better tomato beer than this. Awful, not tasty

12-11-2008 19:44:11 | More by colts9016