Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007

1.53/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This literally tastes like ketchup flavored seltzer. Has a spiciness on the finish that stays on the back of your tongue. Watery mouthfeel but carbonation is very much there. It's just weird. Not surprised this kind of thing is popular in Canada where ketchup flavored chips are also found. (290 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +71.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Based on the reviews of this beer, I seem to be the only one that enjoys this. I admit, I like Bloody Marys and tomato juice. I feel this isn't getting fair treatment as this is an Anheuser-Busch product. So, I personally feel a lot of the scores this beer is getting are quite biased. Anyways, here is my review:

A: Pours a murky orange-red color. Lots of suspended sediment from the clamato juice. Head fizzles away withing seconds. Pretty much looks like a typical Bloody Beer.

S: Smells pretty much like tomato juice. Some spicyness can be detected.

T: No this beer does not have any off flavors. There is no metal, rotten clam, or vomit flavors in this beer. The accusations are quite exaggerated. It pretty much tastes like a Bloody Mary in a can. Lots of tomato juice flavor. Lots of lime and salt. Finish is also quite spicy. I usually put some Tabasco sauce in here for added spicyness. Overall, a very good tasting Bloody Beer.

M: A little heavier in the mouth due to the clamato juice. Prett much drinks like a typical lager. Lots of carbonation and somewhat watery.

D: This beer is one of the most addicting beers I have had. Seriously, I could drink this almost every day. Very easy drinking and quite sessionable.

I actually like this beer more than my score indicates. I had to knock it down a little as there really is no 'beer' flavors present here. I would call this more of a mixed drink than a beer. If you like Bloody Marys or tomato juice, I highly recommend this one. Splash in some Tabasco and garnish with a stick of celery and enjoy. (1,567 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Starts with super thick head with large bubbles that disappears in about 5 secs. Smells like tomato juice with just a hint of beer. Tastes like tomato juice and goes down like an adjunct, but burns going down throat. This is only slightly better than Bud Light & Clamato. Only reason I'm gonna finish it is because I hate to throw out beer. (340 characters)

A- Poured to a very bubbly head that disappeared before I put the can down. Looked like a watered down version of tomato soup.
S- Smelled of tomato juice, salsa, and spices or pepper. T- Tasted like s---. (you can fill in the blanks). Had a hot after taste. Also tasted like watered down tomato soup.
M- Terrible, I was afraid to swallow after it was in my mouth for fear of puking. To much carbonation. Very watery.
D- Are you kidding, I threw the can and product away, even though it was a 10 cent deposit. I felt like I needed drano to get rid of the taste. Do not waste your money. This shoudnt even be on this web sight, this product does not even resemble beer in any form. (679 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Picked this up from a local grocery store.

Pours a light reddish orange with a thin white head that dissipated quickly leaving no collar. Aroma was of tomato juice and a slight hint of barley. Taste was a red beer. Watery texture. This is not a good beer, but it does have a place it beats making my own red beer. Not great as a beer, but decent in its own right. (364 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -25%

Oh my god. How many people at Budweiser did this product go through, and not one of them said "this sucks" or "why are we doing this" or "is this supposed to taste good". Here is all the review you need to know. Beer + tomato juice + salt. AND it's even advertised on the can that this is beer WITH SALT. So it tastes like a weak watered down bloody marry further watered down with beer, then a ton of salt on top that. I just can't believe how this product made it to store shelves. Think about what that takes (business decision, brewing, marketing, and manufacturing of finished can product). Most brewpubs and micro breweries have a hard enough time getting their stuff in bottles and sold in stored and this SH*T makes it. (727 characters)

poured from a 24oz bottle into a standard pint glass

A: reddish color, looks like a bloody mary

S: like V-8 mixed with a typical american light lager. i'm already dreading the taste.

T: yup. i think i puked in my mouth a little.

MF: honesty, it didn't stay in my mouth long enough to get a sense. i had it in my mouth and was instantly chasing it with some liquor to burn my taste buds.

Drinkability: not at all and never again.

to be honest, i don't like bloody mary's or clams. it was doomed right from the start. (521 characters)

I said the same thing about the Bud Light version - Worst... beer... ever.

We bought a can of this because it sounds so disgusting we were intrigued. It didn't let us down. We had 9 people taste it and only one person liked it enough to finish the can for us (he's living in Montana and said "red beer" is often served at bars). This beer is the most disgusting beverage (let alone beer) I have tasted in a very long time. (423 characters)

1.17/5  rDev -45.8%

Poured from a 24 oz. can into Samuel Adams glass. Sorry, Samuel Adams, your product deserves better.

Appearance: Well, it pours nice. A nice ruby red grapefruit juice hue flows out of the can, but slightly more red. This is accompanied by a light pink two-finger head that immediately dissipates into complete nothingness. Very mild and sporatic spotting left on the glass from what I could choke down.

Smell: Beer and tomato juice

Taste: Well...this...this is just horrible. Extremely sweet and salty Budweiser mixed with sea water, marinara sauce, and clams. I could replicate this by going to the Jersey shore with a glass half-full of Budweiser, dunking it into the ocean, and dropping a clam into the glass to marinate. Add a mild hint of cilantro and lime, and this is what you have. I could see how people would like this (my girlfriend continues to sip on it), but it's just not for me.

Mouthfeel: Ugh, do I really need to taste this again to get a mouthfeel? Light body, moderate carbonation, would be an easy drinker if it wasn't for the taste, but I guess it works for what it is.

Overall: An atrocity of a beer that I can understand how others would enjoy it, but it's just not for me. Ugh, NEVER again. (1,220 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -18.1%

I'm convinced all the high ratings are AB employees. There is no way a real "beer advocate" would choose this over making their own. Grab your favorite lager and a bottle of clamato juice and mix accordingly. $2.99 a 25oz can, not worth it. Just make your own. (261 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +103.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love this, the boyfriend discovered it in CA and since then it's always been a guilty pleasure. Totally for those who love clamato, and otherwise I could totally understand hating it. (185 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -19%

A: I'm not sure how this is supposed to look, night as red as I would have expected, more like a tinted amber.

S: Tomato not as prominent, more of the corny budweiser smell with some lime juice coming through.

T: Really bad, reminds me of a bloody mary but so salty its hard to drink. Lime is off-putting too. Just a lot of flavors all trying to compete.

M: Thin and bad, high carbonation.

D: Had a couple sips and poured it. (429 characters)

2.16/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a nuclear orange hue with several large bubbles that dissipate quickly. Looks like fruit punch. How do you grade this? What is the expectation for a tomato beer?

S: Tomatoes Beer and Feet

T: An odd combination of beer, tomatoes, salt, and lime. There is so much going on here. Faintly reminiscent of vomit.

MF: You would think something with tomato juice would have more body.

D: I am not going to drink any more of these, and I may not finish this one. If someone wanted this style of drink badly enough, they should make their own.

Later . . . okay. It is growing on me a little. I will finish the can 16oz); raising my drinkability score by .5 a point. (669 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -50.9%

L:Light pink salmon color. What head there was is a white pinkish color. Very cloudy and very pink.
S:Smells like a salty runny tomato spaghetti sauce. Like a meaty spaghetti sauce that has gone rotten.
T:A dsiturbingly gross rotted meat. It taste like spaghetti sauce that has been watered down. A odd spice also lingers in my mouth.
M:Sharp fizz and really watery. To be honest, I could not keep it in my mouth long enough to get much of a good mouth feel.
D:Friggin awful. Absolutely the worst beer I have ever had. Poured out what was left. (544 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -29.2%

I'm glad I didn't pay for this one. My father-in-law had it in the fridge, so I thought I would give it a try. My initial thought is that your enjoyment of this beer will be more on whether you like tomato juice, rather than if you like beer.

A - Grapefruit red, actually rather pleasant on the eyes. Fizzy head that dissipates as quick as you pour. Zero lacing. Flaky bits of red float throughout.

S - Tomato dominates, obviously.

T - Sweet tomatoes, very strong at the beginning. Next, comes the salt and pepper. The beer ends with the smallest of small hint of beer. A very odd combination. Again if you like tomato juice (I can do without), this one might agree with you. Otherwise, leave it.

M - Blah

D - I drank half of my glass and was done. Why waste the calories. (780 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -44.4%

I would say that this is the worst beer I've ever had... if I could even call it a beer. It tastes similar to V8 juice. It's a fiasco in a can. I can't even believe they are bottling this.

It's full of salt, too! The crappy taste lingers in your mouth, too. It's like roadkill. (278 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -6.5%

Alright, curiosity finally got the best of me, and I had to try this, and then Zorro made me feel compelled to reiew it. I bought this at the local market for a thirst quencher at the beach.
It poured a lite red, pink color like grapefruit juice, but smelled like balls and feet.
I really like bloody mary's and I actually enjoy a Budweiser here and again. I feel that Bud actually has a taste as compared to MGD or Natty, but definitely not one of my favorites. The taste was pretty much what I expected. A Bloody Mary with beer instead of Vodka. Maybe if it were a better beer like a decent pilsner or good lager, this would have worked better. Mouthfeel was a bit thick, tomato-ey, and the Clamato is definitely prevelant. Drinkability sucks. It took me over an hour to finish a 24 oz can.
Overall, based on this review, this beer sucks to me. But I actually kind of enjoyed the experience. As a matter of fact I bought another can the next day, and am thinking about picking one up for the beach today. Oh, by the way, this stuff is flying off the shelves around here, so A-B sure has peaked the interest of consumers. Although I do live in Pismo and 5-Cities area which is predominately a Mexican community, so that may have something to do with it.
I say if you get the chance, pick up a can. Not something for everyone, or many for that matter, but it may be worth a try to some. May be your new guilty pleasure beer... (1,430 characters)

I'm not ashamed to rate this as my highest beer ever. If I were stranded on a desert island. This is the beer I would want flown in. Pound for pound. Dollar for dollar. This beer tastes so good. First time I had it I thought it tasted like blood when I was a kid and I wrecked a bicycle playing "chicken" with my sister. I licked that wound. Why?

Well my thumbnail fell off in 1985.

Why did I lick that wound? And I hated this beer when I came out..

Now I love it.

Bloody Mary except no Vodka. You can sip it and enjoy it.

I'm totally hooked on this beer.

I've had a lifetime of experiences. And this beer is that beer that I want from now on when I want a beer.

It has enough salt to balance me. I don't get drunk on these. I get contemplative. It's like their is alcohol involved but hidden. It's like having a steak on the bbq and sunshine.

Yet in the deepest darkest howls of Winter winds...I still want this beer...

Good Job AB! (958 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +53.7%

I don't like regular Budweiser, especially not in a can, but I do like cheladas and micheladas, especially when with family in Mexico, honestly if I'm gonna make one though I'd use a beer that I do like and use either Clamato or something equivelant. (250 characters)

1.17/5  rDev -45.8%

We'll dispense with the pouring descriptions, except to say that it appeared a weird murky pinkish color, prob due to the "certified colors" mentioned on the label.

Now I have to say that I'm a big fan of tomato juice, Clamato, V8, Bloody Mary's, etc. And in my earlier drinking years would sometimes partake of the old draft beer (in this case Schaefer) and tomato juice mix. Us young guys in NY were told that's the way they drank beer in Pennsylvania. Funny, no?

Anyhow, this stuff is an overkill salty, celery/green pepper/tomato paste/hint of clam bait abomination. The concept is great, but leave it to AB to f*ck it up. Best you mix your own Chelada if you like this kind of stuff.

Oh, and beware. After drinking this potion, your stool will be red the next day, so don't be alarmed. You don't have bleeding ulcers, yet. (830 characters)

2.72/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

24 oz can poured into an imperial pilsener glass

A- Pours a ruby red color with with a pinkish white head that dissipated almost immediately. Carbonation is very active.

S- Smells like tomato juice, salty, with a hint of lime citrus. Picking up a little bit on the corny Budweiser smell.

T- Taste just like a beer mixed with tomato juice. The tomato juice flavor is dominant, pretty salty, and beer flavor does not really stand out. Not really surprising because it is Budweiser.

M- The tomato gives it a medium bodied mouthfeel. Carbonation is crisp and I enjoyed it.

O- Hardly a beer in my opinion, but I did enjoy it. I have always liked red beers (beer with tomato juice) so I enjoyed this. It goes nicely with an olive garnish and is an excellent hangover cure. (771 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +43.5%

The first time I saw this it was like God Almighty....what kinda crap has Bud come up with now? I'll not elaborate much here because I don't know how to desribe it except that it tastes like Bud/Clamato/Lime/salt. That hot, throat parched day that I decided to try it, I actually liked it enough that I bought it 2 or 3 more times.

All I've gotta say, if you have ever liked red beer, is try it... you too may find it odly refreshing. It is, IMHO, much better than the crap Miller is trying pass off as a Chelada sytle.

Edit: I probably should have given this lower marks on smell and appearance (esp), it doesn't look that appetizing. (638 characters)

24 oz can: Pours a weird looking cloudy orangish/amber color with a medium sized white head that diminishes into nothing. Aroma is bloody Mary mix and a little bit a grainy scent. Taste is salty, tomato, and a bit of a strange taste to it. Palate is tomato, salty, and rather strange for a beer to say the least. Overall, I kind of get the idea what Budweiser was going for. It just amazes me that they make this stuff rather than trying to make quality craft beer. Oh well...It's Budweiser. I'm sorry after trying to drink the rest of this can. Drain pour! Cheers! (565 characters)

1.1/5  rDev -49.1%

16 oz can from my local supermarket.

Pours a pinkish color with a pond scum-like film of a head. The bouquet is that of rotting clams, fish and moldy tomatoes. This smell sort of reminds me of a backing up garbage disposal. The taste is only slightly worse, besides rotten clams and rancid tomatoes; I get puke, and bile. The mouthfeel is greasy. This is definitely an acquired taste, one that transcends and redefines the word disgusting. God help AB (those great Belgian brewers). (483 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -45.4%

What the hell just happened? First, I poured this V8 colored beverage into a glass, and it made a little bit of a head that I imagine that Hawaiian Punch would make if it were carbonated, and it disappeared as quickly. As I look down into my beer now (beer if you can call it that) I see little floating things that are the color the head was, I don't know what they are.
It separated like old vegetable juice does with a dark part at the bottom and light at the top. In all honesty it smells like tomato juice and blood. No kidding, it has the iron aroma of blood. At first this sound like a good thing because you can tell your friends that you're manly enough to drink blood, but in truth I have ha busted lips that taste better than this.
How did this make it past product testing, let alone all the way to East Tennessee? Granted, my friend brought this particular can from Texas, but this product can be had at local Wal Marts here. I really can't bring myself to finish my half of the rather large can that it came in. I was drinking Mickey's before this on this particular evening, and while it's not that great, it's going to taste like Cheatu Latour compared to the Chelada when I switch back... now. (1,212 characters)

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch