Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser & Clamato CheladaBudweiser & Clamato Chelada

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007

2.07/5  rDev +2%

Reviewed to style.

Pours a cloudy pink tomato color with a short lived pink head. Smells of salty tomato juice, but not of beer. Tastes follows suit with flavors of tomato juice, brine, V8-like spices and a splash of tobasco in the aftertaste. Brine reminds me of the ocean. Tastes like salty, fishy, tomato ass. Still not getting any beer. Spritzy carbonation, medium-low body, budweiser mouthfeel. Spice lingers after I swallow. I cringe at the thought of drinking this again.

1.71/5  rDev -15.8%

a: A soupy pour gives a fleeting, fizzy head. The beer is a sort of opaque pink-red in color. Plenty of fine pulp in there.

s: Tomato juice, a touch of clam bed seawater, a hint of peppery spice. Light Bud aroma.

m: nasty tomato juice thick, low-med carbonation

t: Occasionally I'll take a sip and think it's interesting, and that's about the best thing I can say about it. Just a hint of grainy macro flavor, with a slight oystery saltiness hidden behind the dominant tomato juice flavor.

d: It is what it is, I guess

purchased at some random, C-grade gas station in Fayetteville

1.45/5  rDev -28.6%

24oz. can purchased at a Sheetz in VA on the first day of our annual Thanksgiving weekend beer trek. Thanks to Deuane for sharing... I guess!

A - Poured a hazy pinkish, watermelon-colored body with the quickest disappearing bubbly white head I've ever seen. Quite effervescent with huge bubbles of carbonation swimming to the top of the glass.

S - Hmmmm... smells like a clam bake with a hint of tomato juice and vomit. Seriously, the vomit aroma is reminiscent of a sour burp (aka puke burp).

T - Tastes like clam chowder with a tomato-based broth and salty meat. The clam flavor really lingers. I can't believe I'm saying this, but this could use more tomato flavor and less Bud flavor. There is virtually no hop bitterness, although it kind of reminds me when you swallow ocean water.

M - Thin, moderately carbonated body with a watery texture, but still kind of slick from the addition of the clamato juice. Mouthfeel is also a bit coarse from the salt.

D - Perhaps this beer would work well with a tomato-based soup or seafood, but I can't fathom why anyone would combine these ingredients. This beer answers the question: How can you make Bud taste even worse?

Brewslut's Quote of the Day:
"I've smelled vomit that smelled better than this."

1.31/5  rDev -35.5%

So, this is AB's version of the wonderful Mexican drink Michelada. I found this by the single 24 oz. tall boy can at the Harrisonburg, VA Sheetz for $2.29. Had to be purchased and shared with fellow BA's Ffejherb, SierraGs and Brewslut.

I have enjoyed Michelada along the Carribbean in Veracruz, Mexico so I do have experience with the drink.

A-Comes out reddish as expected but way to thin looking. More pinkish than red. A pinkish bubbly head starts promising and then vanishes like someone waved a magic wand over it and told it to disappear--no lacing whatsoever.

S-To quote Brewslut--"I have smelled vomit that was better than this"! Reminded me of being along the Delaware Bayshore on a hot, late spring day during horseshoe crab spawning and deeply inhaling the wafting odor of thousands of decomposing crab carcasses.

T-Only a slight improvement over the aroma. This is WAY to bland and watery to be considered a real Michelada. Basically no flavour until the end and aftertaste when the Clamato takes over and leaves you with an oddly disturbing "fishy" taste.

M-Almost none. Thin, carbonated water spritzy and a little lingering spice and clam tatste. No richness, zip or tanginess at all.

D-Are there people out there that actually like this? If there are I would love to meet one and ask WHY and or HOW! This is way off. Real Mexicans would never drink this and think of home! Who at AB thought this would be a good idea? Once again AB takes something of a classic and ruins it for the masses scaring people for ever in thinking that this is what a Michelada is supposed to be like.

For some perspective here are two REAL recipes that I found....

*12 oz. Mexican Beer, non-dark, (Corona, Dos XX....)
*6 oz Motts Clamato
*2 dashes of premium worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins)
*2 dashes Tabasco brand hot sauce
*juice from 2 non-yellow key limes
*1 pinch coarse ground black pepper (Mcormick or from a pepper grinder)
*1 pinch sea salt

Mix all the ingredients except the beer into a shaker and shake briefly. Pour Clamato mix simoultaneously with beer into a 22 oz pilsner glass with a little ice. Watch out because if you pour to fast it will foam up. Rimming the glass with celery salt is optional.

Add vodka if desired. Cant taste it but it helps the alcohol content!

Recipe from Cancun

*12 oz. Mexican Beer, non-dark, (Negro Modelo or Corona)
*2 dashes of Jugo Sazonador (Maggi) "This is the key to a REAL Michelada"
*2 dashes of premium Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins)
*2 dashes Tabasco brand hot sauce (add more if you like it spicy)
*juice from 2 non-yellow key limes (Very important)

Mix all the ingredients except the beer into a beer glass, stir well, and add a few ice cubes. Rimming the glass with celery salt is optional, but adds to authenticity.

2.14/5  rDev +5.4%

24 oz. can, poured to a pint glass.

Budweiser & Clamato "with Salt and Lime" or "con Sal y Limon", if you prefer.

Some interesting notes:
-This is Budweiser with 'Natural Flavor and Certified Color'
-No Agite! Do Not Shake! ('Rotate Gently to Mix")
-Contains Shellfish/Clams

Review #800. That 'milestone' has crept up slowly but surely; decided on Mexican tonight at an authentic little taqueria nearby (La Sirenita); picked up a can of Bud's Chelada on a whim at the store next door. Served with 3 tacos, including a 'Lengua' one, my first.

A: Oh jeez, how to review? A ruby grapefruit pink/orange color, jarringly vibrant. Gigantic fizzy/frothy head on first pour fills more than half the glass, then settles and winnows away entirely. Lace is unclear: are they flecks of foam or spatters of tomato-ey residue? After the head dies away, this looks remarkably dead like a pulpy fruit/vegetable juice with occasional rising bubbles. Gets a '2' from me, mostly because I like the color.

S: Quirky mix of corn pop sweetness (Bud) and a plump fruity/sugary tomato. Oddly enough, I kinda like it. Cocktail sauce meets macro lager.

T: Spicier than expected, a zesty and salty tomato flavor. Mild lime citrus and the tang of lime are vaguely notable, and cover nearly all traces of 'Budweiser' in this concoction. The spice/lime connection isn't too bad once you get used to it. It's the adjunct-sweet lager flavor that does a disservice...

M: Terrible, really terrible. Slick, oily, lifeless. Nothing redeeming.

D: Given that many reviews consider this to be an abomination, I agree somewhat. The addition of strong adjuncts like Clamato, salt and lime definitely transforms a lackluster lager like Bud into something entirely different. That 'something different' isn't necessarily good for a lover of craft beers, but I can see where there's some appeal here, to be honest. Sort of a fun experiment to see what's out there, but definitely not recommended except for the novelty...

3.45/5  rDev +70%

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada has a very thin, pink head, which almost instantly fizzes away and a cloudy, pinkish-red appearance with little chunks of something floating about. The aroma is of the Gulf of Mexico and V-8 Juice, with just a hint of lime. Taste is of tomato, clam broth, lime flavor, and some possible beer showing up as well. Mouthfeel is somewhat heavy, and this concoction finishes soupy and weird. Well, I guess this is pretty good, and I would like to have it if I were ever in the mood for Budweiser, tomato juice, lime flavor, and clam broth. I doubt that I will ever be in the mood for that, however. But, one never knows. Overall, it's interesting, if nothing else.

2.83/5  rDev +39.4%

Allow me to start by saying that I have two friends who have enjoyed a variation of this for years. One used Straub and clamato and the other used Rolling Rock. I have had bloody beer before so this is not a real style shock for me.

I poured into a pint glass to a pinkish head. It looks like watered down tomato juice. It smells kind of like a bloody Mary. I did gently turn the cans a few times to mix the contents. The taste is as expected, mostly clamato. I prefer a generous addition of Tabasco. I enjoy it as an eye opener, but that's about it. It's an alternative to the blood Mary.

I ended up at a party the other night, after a long day, mind warped and body tired. I saw folks drinking this beer, and I could not resist the evil pull, something inside my wrecked brain urging me to try it, imploring me, to the point where my desire to try this beer bordered on the brink of obsession, and I just had to try it. And it was fucking disgusting. Somehow the brewers at Anheuser Busch managed to make one of the worst macros out there taste even worse. Luckily, I could not taste any clam juice, but I got a little pickling spice, some cheap tomato juice and a nasty taste lingering in my mouth.

2.2/5  rDev +8.4%

24 fluid ounces of Budweiser & Clamato with salt and lime - the perfect combination, Budweiser beer with natural flavor and certified color (the label's words, not mine).
Picked this up while in the States, looked interesting, plus I like Caesars (vodka and Clamato).
Pours a murky, reddish color, with a bubbly pink head, that quickly turned into a floating scum. Smells like clamato juice, tomatoe. Taste has the saltiness and tomato juice flavor along with the sourish, grainy beer. Sticky mouthfeel.
I am having a hard time rating this one: What is inside is exactly what they claim on the package - beer and clamato, really no different than mixing your own red eye - so you get what you expect, just don't expect too much. It is a beer cocktail, not a unique beer. Tried it once, that was enough.

This beer has nothing to recommend it. It wound up as a drain pour. Pours a dark pink color with a light pink head. The head is a weak fizzy one that fades fast. No lacing

Smells like clam juice with tomato. Taste is the same. Little or no taste of beer. You can't say the mouthfeel is too thin. The clam juice and tomato taste are thick, but again there is no hint of beer. Drinkability is terrible. I poured it down the sink after about 6 ounces. I would rather get a buzz off Listerine.

If you want to try something different that is widely criticized, get some Cave Creek Chile beer. More than likely you won't like it, but you will probably finish the bottle.

Saw this at the store and had to try it. Ended up being a good way to increase my appreciation for quality beer. A cloudy pinkish red with not much of a head. The nose and taste are of watered down tomato juice and stale grains. Thin body with too much carbonation. Terrible stuff.

1.26/5  rDev -37.9%

I gotta admit. I have the lowest of expectations for this 'beer.' I wasn't even planning on trying it. This beer became the 'stakes' of a bet between my brother and I. Loser had to consume a 24oz can over the span of an hour. He lost. But feeling sort of bad for him, I told him I'd try a bit to relieve his burden. Here goes...

Pours an murky pinkish red with a big 2-finger head on top. This disappears quicker than I can say 'tomato juice.' It looks like grapefruit juice. Too bad it tastes nothing like that. Smells like celery and vomit. Serious horridness going on here. It's like a rabbit puked in my glass after an afternoon in my garden. Gross.

The mouth is spritzy and bubbly. Thank goodness for that. If this was mellow and flat, I would purge. At least it feels alright. Flavor is of watered-down tomato soup, celery, and the faintest of grains. This is just all-out horrible. I will never, ever again allow this to get into my digestive system...unless I lose the next bet.

1.54/5  rDev -24.1%

Super cloudy red with chunks of tomato. The head was super fizzy and disappeared almost immediately, leaving zero lace.

Smell is extremely heavily tomato, with heavy lime and a good portion of cardboard box.

Taste is super spicy, peppery with tons of clamato and a slightly sweet tomato paste finish.

Body is watery and poor, with almost an after-burn from the spices.

I've had the chelada light, and it's much better. However, they're both still bad, and bud regular chelada is a near drainpour unless you're out of money, too drunk to go to the store, or have no tastebuds.

2.12/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured a funky orange with the consistency of Hawaiian Punch. A light pink head that was quickly gone.

Has a funky bloody mary like smell with a bit of citrusy lime.

The flavor is a strange mix of slightly sweet tomato juice and a salty lime with a just a hint of bad beer flavor in the finish. Slightly more tomato flavor than the bud light version.

The mouthfeel is very thin, especially for something with tomato juice.

Overall I found it disappointing, Basically no difference between this and the Bud Light. Red Beer can be good, but make your own.

I had the Bud Light Chelada and found it to be horrid. Could Budweiser Chelada be as bad?

Has a pinkish orange color with a practically non-existent head. Reminds me of the color of the chum used in the movie "Jaws". Smells vile. Clam juice, tomato juice, and cooked rice? This is not a good combination.

The taste is nothing to write home about. With the clam juice, I can't help but to compare it to the chum used in "Jaws". True, I never tasted or smelled chum, but could this be much different? The worse part about this is the clam and tomato combination. Who thought that was a good idea? The cooked rice is all to familiar from regular Bud. This is a disaster.

Mouthfeel? Drinkability? Who is kidding who? Just stay away from this mess.

Clamato pours a reddish pinkish color with no head. It smells like tomato juice and vomit. The taste is soapy with big tomato flavors very salty. Horrible flat body, horrible flavors. Overall it is not only the worst beer I ever had, it is the worst thing I have ever tasted.

4.33/5  rDev +113.3%

pours out of the 24 oz. can a pinkish tinged tomato red colour. you can smell the salt tinged clamato juice in the beer. no real lime aromas that i can tell. nice clamato flavours of tomato and black pepper. hints of lime and salt just as the label on the can pronounces. as an occasional drinker of cesars, bloody beers and bloody marys, i found this commercial offering pretty enjoyable. as for any mouthfeel, i'm not sure how a tomatoe beer is supposed come off. i guess i find it just fine. therefore the drinkability is pretty good for this concoction. would be good with a hearty breakfast, some aspirin, and bloody mary for dessert after an evening of boozing it up.

i'm not sure that this should a reviewable beer on BA, because it's a beer cocktail, and not really a "style". and for those who KNOW that they find lager beer and tomato/clamato juice an offending mix, why bother reviewing this at all??

one more thing...this 24oz. can was three bucks, so if you have some clamato juice, tomato juice, or V8 on hand, why not just make your own with some cheap lager and save some $$?

anyway, i liked this budweiser chelada just fine, and it washed down some homemade sausage quite well, thank you.

1.98/5  rDev -2.5%

I'll admit it, I do like a red beer now and then, but this one pretty much fails, mostly because I'm not a big fan of Clamato, I usually just use V8 and Budweiser, with some salt and Frank's Red Hot and they taste much better than this.

Pours a light red or pink color, thin pink head. A tad cloudy.

Smelled like tomato juice, with a sort of fermented fish on the back end, which I assume to be the "clam".

Tasted like the smell, a watery tomato juice with a slightly salty rotten clam aftertaste. That's why I don't like Clamato juice, maybe if fresh clam juice was used I would enjoy the Tomato juice/Clam juice mix, but it just doesn't work in Clamato.

I'll stick to my own concoction for red beers. This fails.

A - Hazy orange/pink like watered down tomato juice.

S - Mostly tomato. Some clams I guess.

T - Salty, a bit sweet. Fizzy tomato juice... A bit tart and a light, light bitterness in the aftertaste. Some tomato.

M - Fizzy and pop/seltzer like.

D - Not bad actually, if you like this sort of thing. Obviously not especially beery. Good choice to use something relatively flavourless to mix with the tomato maybe... I probably won't be able to finish this 24 ouncer though. Classic case of it is what it is.

2.65/5  rDev +30.5%

Pours out a pinkish red that has just a touch of suds which dissapate quickly leaving a lacing of tomato around the rim of the glass.
Smell is clamato and celery without a hint of a lime.
Taste is tomato/clamato with other veggies like celery and potato. Can taste a little hot sauce.
Mouthfeel is not too bad. There is a little heat from the hot sauce.
This is a beer that I suppose you are to drink after a heavy drinking night to cure the hangoover but you are again drinking Bud so why not skip the tomato crap and head right for the budweiser!

3.55/5  rDev +74.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Red cloudy beer. No head and only tomato juice particles on the side of the glass.
Smells like tomato and lime.
Tastes like a beer clamato juice and lime. There is also a few drops of something like tobasco sauce.
Finishes fairly spicy.
Overall a tasty beer bloody mary.

1.08/5  rDev -46.8%

Only sampled a very small glass at a neighbors on Thanksgiving. Red and cloudy, like tomato soup with Sprite and milk mixed in.

Aroma is like concentrated Long Island Sound. Brine and spice with a distinct dead sea creature nuance.

Flavor is so bad I can scarsely describe it. Pain. Fear. Agony. This is what cancer tastes like.

Body is akin to tomato soup mixed with Diet Sprite. Filthy and undrinkable. This tastes like a terrorist plot.

Got from Scoobydank as part of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly BIF - damn you!!! Poured from a 16oz can (no dating info) into a shaker glass. This did not deserve a pint and I'll have throw away the shaker now that it's been tainted with this evil. It was a watered down bloody mary color. It was very cloudy and had layers to it. Just looked disgusting. It had no head at all. Just some light fizz that almost instantly evaporated. No visible carb or lacing.

The aroma was horrendous. I HATE tomato juice and detest clams so this one is pure hell. The smell alone made me gag. My wife got a huge kick out of watching me smell and taste this thing. She wouldn't try it herself - smart. I could barely get around the smell but I had to taste it since the Ugly in the BIF. Absolutely awful. Did I mention that I HATE tomato juice and clams! Could only get 2 large sips down before I had to drain pour. This is by far, the worst "beer" I have ever tasted. May it rot in hell!!!!

1.74/5  rDev -14.3%

22 oz. can "born-on" 8/14/07 and sampled when it was one month old. On the labeling, English is the second language, just like their target market for this brew. The beer is opaque and sediment-laden, with a color between that of tomato and pink grapefruit juice. It has medium carbonation and a very short-lived, pink head that reduces to nothing; and instead of lacing the glass, it deposits tomato particles. Tomatoes and a lime/clam mixture in the nose, with no discernible beer aroma. I'm not really looking forward to drinking this, but oddly enough, it makes my mouth salivate. Tastes of tomato, salt, and lime up front, backed by shellfish, and perhaps some pepper and celery seed, all mixed with a slight Budweiser flavor, on top of a standard Budweiser body. An interesting brew to say the least, but, overall.... bleech.

1.78/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours cloudy orange-pink in color, with no head.

Aroma is tomato, celery salt, and an odd musty quality.

Taste is tomato, celery, a touch of hot sauce and soda water. Finish holds the strange musty quality from the nose.

Mouthfeel is thin and spritzy.

Not worth trying again.