Budweiser & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-24-2007

2.2/5  rDev +1.9%

pours an odd, murky, chunky, grapefruity color with a fizzy white head that goes away as quickly as it appears. Leaves no lace. Smells like low grade tomato juice, fake lime juice and stinky cheap seafood with a hint of cheap hopppy green apple bud type thing going on. Tastes the same with a little sweetness. Just like a bloody mary at a truck stop bar with beer instead of vodka. I've always called them texas bloody mary's. Funky mouthfeel, but I hate to say it... this one is like the bee gees to me... a guilty pleasure. after a night of overindulgence, this one could be an effective hair of the dog type thing. hungover, i would go for a chelada over a rochefort 10 anyday. btw... i poured this 24oz can into two glasses... the second was loaded with hot hot sauce... i now have a new go to hangover helper. i knew bud was good for something. (850 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -24.5%

Budweiser Chelada pours a finger of rapidly collapsing
head over an opaque salmon colored liquid. Carbonation
after an initial hard pour is hard to guage but likely slow.
The nose is tomato-y and *gllk* ...meaty as well. The flavor
is corn lager and tomato juice with a peppery finish- there's
a nice bit of heat in the throat as it *ulp* ...goes down. The
flavor almost makes you forget about the juice of dead filter
feeding invertebrates that makes up the clam in clamato.
Transcends swill. It's something to try so you can say you
did. *Urk* (546 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -52.3%

A big screw AKBelgianBeast for this one. It was part of my losings for the LNBA FF. And I've had the light version of this and I'm hating Frank in the worst way at the moment.

A- This beer is staring this evil stare at me, and it is making me feel very uncomfortable. It appears to be Satan's tears. This pinkish reddish fluid is not looking good.

S- Dear God! If only you can see me gag. I hate clamato juice so this one is just making me ready to vomit as is. There is a hint of beer with this foul clam tomato juice concoction.

T- Shit, I don't want to drink this. Seriously I should just pour this out and save my tastebuds from the low tide flavor to come. I'm actually having to psych myself up to drink this. Ok, deep breath and here we go. Up yours Frank. Why?!? Why?!?! Why did the AB company decide to blend tomato sauce with hooker poon tang? Was this beer brewed with vaginal yeast, and was the donor on the rag? This beer is horrid, if I could rate this there would be a minus score here. I literally almost blew chunks.

M- I was so focused on not vomiting, yet trying to taste the beer that I didn't get much of a mouthfeel.

D- Hell no, the only way you would think this is tasty and drinkable is if you are missing many teeth, get offended by Jeff Foxworthy redneck jokes, or are just from Montana. (1,323 characters)

1.05/5  rDev -51.4%

Never had before, so I figured I'd try before I bash. Poured from a classy 24 oz. can, "beer" pours a hazy red color and has no head. Doesn't resemble a beer. The smell is a nasty mix of tomatoes, budweiser and sprite. The taste is terrible - makes me want to vomit. Mouthfeel is fairly viscous and has almost no carbonation. This is a complete drain pour for me. I hate tomatoe juice and if I had been smart enough to put "clamato" together I may have realized that this wasn't for me. I remember my dad telling me stories of mixing Colt 45 with V8 juice, I imagine he may like this - but I think it's horrible. (612 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours out a pinkish tomato with a fizzy head like soda.

Smell. Tomato- salty, some spices, a little seafood.

Taste. tastes like very light tomato juice that is carbonated. Not as strong as the smell, but spices are still present.

Mouthfeel. Body is light and has a crispness.

Overall, i wouldnt knock anyone for liking this, but i sure as hell don't. Seems like a more cultural drink. I'd rather just a bud, or better yet, a bloody mary. (441 characters)

2.9/5  rDev +34.3%

Appearance: Rhubarb sauce colored liquid with a short-lived, fizzy pink head.

Smell: Hint of beer, tomatoes and a strange fishy smell.

Taste: Not totally bad. This would be good with breakfast. The beer flavors linger underneath the taste of vegetable juice. Slightly spicy finish with hints of lime.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Very chunky.

Drinkablity: I had to give it a try. Not too bad, but not a classic either. (420 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -5.1%

a: poured out of a pint can into a normal beer mug, pours a grapefruity red color with about a half inch of very fizzy red head that dissapears as quickly as a soda pop, a ring of lace appears around the edge of the glass
s: tomatoe juice aroma, tabasco, slight sweet/ salty malt aroma
t: hints of bud but a strong taste of tomoato juice and hints of tabasco, deffinatly comparable to a bloody mary
m: medium bodied beer with very little sharp carbonation

overall, i will not drink this again (493 characters)

2.84/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A Bloody Mary in beer form.
Not what I expected. There was a lot of apprehension before popping this one open, and I ended up with far less chagrin than anticipated. Bright pink and sludgy, not clear. Light pink, dirty-looking soapy head drops quickly as expected and leaves nothing behind. Aroma consists of tomato juice mostly, a distinct ocean-saltiness, and very faint fishiness, but not nearly the fish oil I expected.
Flavor is dominated by salty tomato, just a hint of seafood in the finish, and a good bit of salt... maybe some lime, like those tortilla with a "hint of lime" that are overwhelmed with the stuff. Some of the adjunct notes become evident as it warms.
Mouthfeel is sludgy, a light spiciness in the finish, low carbonation.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm sure I won't buy it again, but if you're craving a Bloody Mary, it's cheap and really not bad. For what they tried to do, I think they've accomplished it. Now, as rated against most other beers, it's subpar. But rated as it is, as the thing they set out to accomplish... Don't be so afraid of the reviews of this beer, try it for yourself.

I NEVER thought I would actually give a fairly positive review of this stuff... But I'd certainly rather drink it than plain Budweiser. (1,265 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +117.6%

(re-reviewing/editing this about 4 months after the initial review) I have to admit this beer has become something of a guilty pleasure of mine, so I had to edit my review to reflect my change of heart.

24oz can poured into a Budweiser pint glass.

Appearance - Chicos taco's sauce. Watery looking tomato juice. Opaque with visible particulate matter. No head. Weird looking, but proper for the style.

Smell - No smell other than clamato.

Taste - Tastes more like clamato than beer. Has a nice bite. Tomato and sweetness with a slight undercurrent of Budweiser.

Mouthfeel - Clean with a crisp bite. Very refreshing.

Overall Drinkability - Actually really enjoyed this. First time I had it I thought it was pretty gross, maybe because I was drinking it sort of warm from the can. Chilled in a glass is pretty worthy. I've had it several times since the first time I reviewed this beer, and it is now my go-to beer for when I only have a gas station selection. (965 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +53.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

first off i get a real kick out of people saying "oh no it is reddish pink", "oh no it is tomato flavor or clam flavor", or "it is spicy or salty". must not have ever heard of tomato juice or clamato juice or had a bloody mary.

i did not shake before opening. i did the slow rotating of the can end for end 3-4 times in each direction. poured a light reddish with some head. smells like...well beer and bloody mary. taste and smell are what i expect. i love a good bloody mary and ceasar so this was fairly good to me. a bit of spice with some carbonation. most of the beer taste is backseat to the clamato, but i expected that. to me, drinkable on a hot humid day as a refresher...kinda like a bloody mary or ceasar.

who'd a thunk it?

giblet (745 characters)

2.7/5  rDev +25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have to come clean with everyone out there. This stuff is like crack for me. It's a total acquired taste guilty pleasure. As a Canadian, I grew up mixing Clamato into shitty beers like Old Milwaukee. Beer and clam is a perfect drink for camping or hangover mornings. The way Cheladas are spiced is unique, but very appealing to me. I can't help myself. (354 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -33.3%

24 oz can in dog-faced mug bought for my by my Jenny.

A: Pink and fizzy. Its this red pop?

S&T: Funny this reminds me of the odor and I once experienced after drinking several quarts of beer and other drinks and staying up all night to go to the breakfast club at grand prix weekend at Purdue university. They had big vats of bloody mary mix that they were serving to all the drunks that were up all night. They would just dip the cup hand arm and all into the vat and serve it up. It smelled and kind of tasted like this beer.
All that aside We have a strange concoction. Smells like clams, bloody mary, and a bit of lime with a bad beer. Kind of smells like Datoyna Beach too. Tastes like it smells.

M: Thumbs down.

D: I had to dump it into a jar to save for cooking. I think this will be an awesome beer to cook and marinate with. (837 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -35.2%

24 fluid ounces.

Looks almost exactly like pink grapefruit juice, but a couple shades darker. A light pink head erodes to just a mere halo. Lots of tiny suspended matter visible through this murky reddish-pink liquid.

Smells nothing like beer or any tomato concoction I've ever raised to my nostrils. More like bad B.O. beacuse I can detected sour, salt, musty & funky - all in a real bad way.

Taste: Salty - check. Tomato - actually there is a noticably (somewhat) accurate tomato balance that is zesty and a little spicy. Lime - yes, there is a sourness that *might* resemble lime - anyway, it's sour. Clam - how about an earthy funk that could taste like either a sun-rotten warm clam -OR- a pussing infected wound.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and very flat.

Drinkability is horrible. The remaining 20(ish) onces are heading for the kitchen sink as soon as I'm done.

Overall there are some redeeming qualities to this putrid offering, but it is mostly gut wrenching. The spiciness is a little appealing, because it does bring out some mediorce tomato essence - but that's where the 'good' ends. Maybe Jeffrey Dahmer would have liked this beer? (1,150 characters)

1.09/5  rDev -49.5%

I wonder who came up with the idea for this one. Bud is constantly putting out some odd stuff -- trying to push the envelope down people's throat.
This stuff is just plain odd. Pours a strange red color with fizz? Strange. Smells of tomatoes and some spices. Tastes of tomatoes and some burnt grain. Mouthfeel is thin and strangely chunky. Drinkability -- there isn't really any. (380 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -37%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I obtained this unholy concoction after seeing it sitting rather innocuously in the fridge at my local Beerporium. I know now that I had fallen into an elaborate trap to traumatize my tastebuds and possibly get rid of some ancient Campbell's tomato soup that was taking up space somewhere around the Budweiser factory. If you are thinking of picking up this beer, there is an important question to ask yourself. Say, "Self, have I ever had the craving to put some pretty mediocre beer into old tomato soup and then add clam byproducts and a half a pound of salt?". If you answered yes to that, seek help. If you answered no but are still curious, I have braved this demon solution and possibly lived to tell the tale. The beer poured a pinkish red with a large pink head. It visually reminds me of a cranberry gingerale I had once. Any similarities between this demon brew and a beverage end there. The smell is of tomatoes and clams, with a hint of what may be beer in the background. Since I don't normally mix seafood and fruits with my beer, this smell was not entirely appealing. The taste is tomato and humdrum beer followed by a clammy taste that is mercifully killed fairly quickly by the judicious amount of salt that was likely included in the beer to kill off any potentially lethal pathogens. The mouthfeel is like watered down carbonated tomato soup, and it's about as drinkable as you would expect watered down carbonated tomato soup to be. Since there are sober kids in Africa, I will down the rest of this beer. Let this review be my last will and testament if I don't survive the ordeal. (1,604 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -20.8%

Hmmm... Budweiser and Clamato together you say, brewed with a hint of salt and lime? Doesn't really sound at all that appetizing to me, so I wonder what compelled me to pick up a can of this. I guess I am compelled to try whatever strange offerings the big American macrobrewers try hawking at the beer purchasing public, and this definitely struck me as strange.

Bud Chelada pours a translucent coppery red color with two fingers of salmon colored foam that dissipates after about 45 seconds. The initial smell just smelled like regular Budweiser (or Bud Light) to me, but after a few more whiffs the tomato and clam aromas hit my nostrils. The mouthfeel was thin and fizzy, and simply put the beer tasted like a tomato soda. There was some hints of clam (and perhaps even some garlic-like taste) and it was slightly spicy as well. The flavors linger on for a bit in the finish and it fades out with no alcoholic warmth.

I didn't think it was too bad with my first few initial sips and the color was kind of interesting. However, the flavors soon settled in and this one was headed down the drain. I can only tolerate a few sips of this, so how am I supposed to down an entire 24 oz can of this? Definitely not recommended... (1,228 characters)

3.02/5  rDev +39.8%

After drinking so many good beers lately, I was forced to go slumming down the canned BMC section of Kroger's for an upcoming camping trip. Then I spied this repulsive sounding beer.

This beer has a sickly orange pink glow to it. Strange pink head that dissipates quickly. Quite a bit of tomato floaties.

Aroma is tomatoes, not much else.

This beer tastes like a decent Bloody Mary. Some peppery spices , a hint of lime , very salty.

Mouthfeel is about what I'd expect?? A little too carbonated.

I'll probably drink more of these, most likely in the morning. Maybe a little pricey considering the ingredients. (617 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -27.8%

Reviewed in the Blind Beer BIF. 24oz can poured into a MBC glass

A:  Dark peach/puke color with a head that is gone before I could even measure it.  Couldn't even get any back with a swirl. No lace (2)

S:  Oh dear god.  It's like a Bloody Mary with a can of tuna juice dropped in.  Or wait, spaghettios! Regardless, since this is beer, it's flat out awful (1)

T: Carbonated bloody Mary and/or liquid spaghettios.  To replacate this beer, put some spaghettios in a blender and add seltzer and BOOM... you have this beer.  Just repulsive (2)

M:  Ummm, uber thin with decent amount of carb (2)

D: Tuuuuribbble.  Would never buy this.  Shouldn't be considered beer. Only drank about 4oz before drainpouring. Offered to other people at my apartment and they also passed (1) (783 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +60.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a "bloody beer" and I've had my share. You can smell and taste the lime in this, which I'm not a real fan of. Typically I'd rather take a Rolling Rock and mix it with some Clamato and Tabasco myself, but this serves a purpose. Has a little more "beer" taste than the light version of this. I like it just fine. Goes great the morning after being over served. (369 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +93.5%

Budweiser & Clamato “Chelada” pours a Clamato red from a 1 pint 8 fl. Oz. Brightly Lithographed Pop top Aluminum can. Head went to over two fingers, before disappearing completely.

Nose is a bit metallic, but not offensive, followed by whiffs of tomato and clam.

Palate is a smooth spicy tomatoes and clam juice, followed by the bight of carbonation.

A delicious blend of “Budweiser & Clamato”. For breakfast with a Western omelet, or lunch with hot dogs, and /or supper with just about anything!

I like this, I like this a lot! (537 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +107.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Really a great product. Hazy red. No head. Salty. Limey. Clammy. Tomato. Fizzy carbonation is so refreshing. Goes great with some hot sauce. With I could find 12oz cans. (169 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -25.9%

Looks almost exactly like a glass of cranberry ginger ale. In retrospect, I much rather would have had a glass of that. Smells strongly of tomato juice, and slightly of clams, which is what I remember Clamato smelling like. Has a strange soda-like fizz to it as well.

Tastes a lot like someone was going to make a Bloody Mary, but couldn't find any vodka, so they used Budweiser instead. Then used way too much salt. Then decided to juice assorted sea creatures into the mix. The lime the can claims is in there seems strangely nonexistent. If it did exist, I'm not sure it would help.

I've never had the misfortune of drinking a glass of fish blood, but I expect this is what it tastes like.

This is not a beer. This is the worst Bloody Mary ever created. Avoid it like the plague. (787 characters)

1.1/5  rDev -49.1%

24 oz. can. Pours a watery orange-red color with no head. Aroma of tomato almost made me vomit. I was hesitant to drink, but had to give it a whirl. I'm not a big tomato juice fan, not a big Budweiser fan, and not a fan of this beer. Another reason not to fruit your beer. (272 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -19.9%

If you’ve ever had a red eye (beer and tomato juice), this is Bud’s Mexicanized variant using Clamato. If you like red eyes, you might like this (although a friend of mine who likes red eyes didn’t). You can’t really think of it as beer, per se, more like a Clamato based cocktail in a can. Actually pretty refreshing. A good morning drink en lieu of a mimosa or bloody mary. You can chug it like Gatorade, too. Much better than regular Bud. (445 characters)

2.67/5  rDev +23.6%

I was in the grocery buying some better beer, saw this and thought I would try it as to see how it was.

The color was a muddy red, like Clamato. The smell was overly Clamato as well.

Quite a heavy mouth feel due to the higher density of the beer.

Poured it into a standard pint glass. The taste was more Clamato than beer. This was the first time that I've had BUD that I didn't get sick about an hour after drinking it, but it still has that Bud lack of flavor that keeps me from buying the brand. (502 characters)

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch