Bud Light & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-26-2007)
Reviews by thepeter:
2.73/5  rDev +54.2%

Hey this stuff is what it is. I actually like Tomato juice and to me the clam just added saltiness to it all. Pours an awful pink color that reminded me of vomit but with carbonation and without chunks. Smelled like salty tomato juice to me, no beer aroma at all in my opinion. Tasted much of the same but with a bit more to it. Got lot's of tomato juice, celery salt, and some spicy flavors from tabasco. A bit of cheap beer to go with it all and water it down. Felt like it had a much nicer body than a Bud light so that was not bad with me, still a bit overcarbonated though. Even though I kind of liked this, I only had about 1/3 of a can. Could drink more but would not bother. Mostly a novelty for me. I am glad that i tried it and would still have another one before grabbing most other BMC products.

1.38/5  rDev -22%

big 24oz can slightly warmer than fridge temp poured into a bulb style glass. no freshness info.

pours out a reddish, pink, grapefruit color. the pinkish white head fizzles away in seconds. lots of tiny slimey, pulpy chunks both in the beer and clinging to the glass, tomatoe juice? when it sits still for a bit it seperates into layers. by far the worst looking beer ive ever seen, it just looks so unappealing.

rotten tomatoe juice, some salt, maybe even some briney clam juice. the bud light base is pretty much undetectable.

yuck...pretty much all clamato, and very little beer flavor. tomatoe juice is the most noticable, salty with just a hint of lime. briney. slightly more budlight noticable than in the aroma.

light bodied, salty, briney feel in the worst way possible. carbonation is slightly prickly.

so unbearably undrinkable. i had to force myself even to take the smallest sip. thank god this review is over so i can pour it down the drain. repulsive...

1.02/5  rDev -42.4%

Can (2011)

Texas Liquor
Carlsbad, CA

Hazy light orange and pink--almost like the color of grapefruit flesh. There is absolutely zero head, no matter how forcefully I pour, and it leaves the glass clean, except for this sick looking, hazy film.

This is a vile aroma: old tomato, celery, and dirty pond water.

The flavor follows the nose: stale dishwater, salt, bitter vegetables (celery), and a bit of stinging, though disappearing spice.

Thin, though intensely carbonated (in the mouth, not at all in appearance), and a bit metallic.

Without a doubt, the worst beer I've put to my lips (yes, worse than 12+ year old 4.5% ABV Last Drop Bitter).

1.02/5  rDev -42.4%

Last in a tasting party on 12-11-10, and certainly the one that brought out the most opinion. Thanks (?) zoso1967 for bringing this thing... it certainly added to our merriment.

Chelada looks like ruby-red grapefruit juice. There is no head and no lacing, but chunks of stuff (clam and tomato?) stick to the glass when agitated. I cannot see any carbonation, either.

The beer smells like salty tomato soup, rotten fish, and maybe beer. This is an objectionable smell and I actually choked a little bit when I took a whiff.

This is the worst tasting beverage I have ever put in my mouth. It actually tastes like vomit and my stomach is turning right now just remembering it. Patently disgusting.

I wanted to give the mouthfeel a 0 but I was not able to. 1 is as low as you can go.

This beer is not drinkable. I took two sips and could not force any more down my throat. A-w-f-u-l. To say something nice, though, if you like tomato juice and clams, there is a chance this beer will work for you.

1.5/5  rDev -15.3%

This drink is the best damn stuff I have had in 45 years of drinking!
Why in hell they don't sell it in Ontario is beyond my understanding....we drink more beer here than anywhere in Canada. It tastes so amazing!
Canada invented Clamato!!!,
We invented the cocktail called a "Cesaer" using Clamato juice.
Why don't they sell "Bud Lite Cheladas" here????
I have to wait to get back to the States to get it again.
PLEASE...Anhauser-Busch
Bring them to Ontario!! Please!
Thank you.

Appearance is very similar to the Bud version with pink ruby red grapefruit juice coming to mind extremely fizzy pink tinted head dwindles down to nothing leaves tomato juice residuals clinging to the glass but no lace to speak of here. Slight mineral can smell going on with salty citric acid ocean breeze and Campbell's tomato soup in your nares. Flavor wise this one doesn't taste as much like acid reflux as the Bud counterpart more salty tomato and citrus notes flooding the senses. Really clears out my sinuses for some out reason still no beer flavor coming through just like a seafood infused tomato cocktail or better yet to be fare it's like gazpacho minus the heavy spiciness or herbal cilantro qualities. Maybe it could use some vegetation because this is a really hard can to get down on your own split it up on a Sunday afternoon and make it a cocktail hour. If your going to abuse beer like this don't let AB mix it for you grab some tomato juice a little salt and call it a Red Eye. Why do we have to throw in the clam saltiness and citrus flow, because that equates to acid reflux in your mouth. Mouthfeel is kinda viscous hell it has almost 2 grams of protein in it, carbonation is fizzy but tomato puree' and clam juice make this one pretty hearty. Drinkability pretty horrible in my standards, I had to attempt the Bud Light version because it kept staring me from the fridge after my Budweiser and Clamato experience the other night. Not as terrible as that was I guess because I'm somewhat prepared now, but this is by all means a drain pour unless your trying to be a tough guy and finish it just to say you did. By the way, I'm not going to pour this one and as I continue to abuse my palate it adjusts to the Chelada flow and it actually becomes more tolerable with each sip.

2.25/5  rDev +27.1%

1.43/5  rDev -19.2%

So as my mother and I drove to Rite-Aid, I was telling her about this beer for some odd reason. Next nothing I know, we see it sitting there in the cooler and decided we had to give it a try.

A - It was a pink salmon color with a one finger head that sat on top. It was rather cloudy and looked a bit watery. Actually reminded me a bit of hazy pink lemonade.

S - Tomato juice with a hint of lime. The worst part about the nose was the clam as it made the beer smell rather fishy. Reminded me a bit of the smell of badly made Manhattan clam chowder.

T - Reminded me of a watered down Bloody Mary that was mixed with beer instead of vodka. Thankfully, the clam was only noticed here and there. The aftertaste was rather salty and I have to say the salt was rather prominent throughout. When the clam was missing, this reminded me just of V8 tomato juice but when the clam was there it was a perfect storm of bad flavors. However, I have to say it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

MF - thin with light carbonation. A light tingle sits on the tongue and as I drink it, it reminds me a bit of the mouthfeel of pureed tomatoes.

D - There really is none at all. The beer was worth a try and better than I thought ( which is not saying much as I expected to be horrified). I had no desire to have more than the few sips that I had to try and definitely would not buy again unless I meant it as a gag beer. If you like tomato juice, you might like this beer, especially if you don't mind fishy tastes added in here and there.

1.25/5  rDev -29.4%

1.76/5  rDev -0.6%

355ml can, a single from my local chain store's remainder bin. People drank homemade versions of this 'concept' back when I was in school, as a hangover cure. More on that later. Made with Mott's Clamato in Canada, apparently.

This beer pours a hazy, murky, medium orange-tinted salmon colour, with three fingers of puffy, but mostly just fizzy salmon skin flecked white head, which leaves the strangest 'lace' that I have ever seen - it looks more like salt or pulp residue, and probably is, which makes it all the more creepily appropriate.

It smells of thin, watery clamato juice - tomato puree and mildly fishy clam extract - so not so yummy as ever. Nothing beer-ish comes through at all, other than a vague memory of white crackers dunked into cheap mall diner soup in my youth. The taste is very much cold, peppery tomato soup (I'm not going to sully the word 'bisque' here - wait, oops, oh well), and much more oyster cracker than actual seafood in its offsetting 'flavour'. I wasn't expecting anything directly from the beer side of things, and I was left thoroughly unsurprised.

The bubbles are pretty sublimated, but shyly peek out now and then, the body an actually sturdy medium weight, but then again, tomato juice isn't usually all that thin either. It finishes 'dry', I suppose, the muddled spiciness of the clamato juice still stomping on Bud Light's 98-pound weakling head.

Like the Bud version before this, but even more so, in those obvious minute degrees, of course, the beer quotient is barely perceptible here, letting the guest blend ingredient do its thing. I see this as the choice for those people who think they like pasta sauce in their drink, yet are too chickenshit to make/procure/consume a proper homemade Caesar. I can't finish this can, let alone a whole six-pack, which sort of leads us back to the Caesar - the right way to consume clamato juice - if it ain't boozy, what's the point?

1.25/5  rDev -29.4%

Picked this up along with Budweiser Chelada and split with ShanePB. We had to see just how bad they could be.

A: As we consumed from the can, couldn't get a good look, but it looked to be light red/pink in color. Rather bubbly.

S: Peppery tomatoes, a bit of horseradish, and a little bit of grain. Smells rather briny/salty. Certainly did not make me look forward to taking a sip.

T: Overly salty with synthetic tasting tomato juice. Some pepper and horseradish give it some spice. There is also some onion as well. Tastes much worse than regular Bud Light.

M: Light bodied with medium to high carbonation. Very fizzy.

O: Terrible, it amazes me that this product is still produced. I can't imagine it sustains itself off the curiosity of BAs though. Someone has to be buying it and I would love to know who.

Had to try this oddball after my tour of the brewery in Fort Collins.

A - Pinkish orange and very turbid with a frothy head. Looks like vegetables and ice that have been through a food processor. A shade lighter than V8. Looks nothing at all like beer.

S - V8, seafood, and hot sauce. Smells like bloody mary mix.

T - Hot sauce, tomato puree, V8 with tobasco sauce, and clam juice. This is definitely not my thing, but it sure is unique. It's quite foul.

M - Thick V8 puree viscosity. Feels like drinking spaghetti sauce or vomit.

D - Not for me, but this could be a very viable alternative for those who dig bloody marys or V8, or like to re-ingest their own vomit. This is, along with Cave Creek Chili Beer, the wosrt beer of all time.

Pours a tangerine color with bubbly, soapy head that quickly disappears. Smells like Bud Light with a little tomato mixed in. Tastes like tomato juice mixed with water. Mouthfeel is light, sweet, and mildly carbonated.

WTF? How do they get away with selling this?! If you like V8 you'll like this, if not you're SOL.

Bud Light & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch