Bud Light & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-26-2007)
jjhunbun

Ontario (Canada)

This drink is the best damn stuff I have had in 45 years of drinking!
Why in hell they don't sell it in Ontario is beyond my understanding....we drink more beer here than anywhere in Canada. It tastes so amazing!
Canada invented Clamato!!!,
We invented the cocktail called a "Cesaer" using Clamato juice.
Why don't they sell "Bud Lite Cheladas" here????
I have to wait to get back to the States to get it again.
PLEASE...Anhauser-Busch
Bring them to Ontario!! Please!
Thank you.

10-13-2013 01:37:38 | More by jjhunbun
alalvarez75v2

12-06-2011 20:28:16 | More by alalvarez75v2
caryon

4.95/5  rDev +182.9%

I totally love it!!! I really dont care for bud light products but this one Bud light & Clamato Chelada is so smooth and tasty i find myself drinking it to fast. I am 100% white with no mexican flare so you know its good....and it does not taste like a V8 lol

05-06-2014 16:43:59 | More by caryon
PheerNoBeer

4.5/5  rDev +157.1%

This isn't beer, it's just a strange mildly alcoholic beverage. Like a fizzy Bloody Mary. I enjoy it, but easily see why others find it disgusting. If you're looking for a beer taste it isn't in there. It's sweet, salty, and spicy. I saw this stuff in a lot of c-stores for a long time and always thought it would be disgusting, but now I'm hooked.

I was watching a 10+ year old Seinfeld episode a few weeks ago where Kramer got into cock-fighting with his rooster named Little Jerry. In the final few scenes at the Mexican cock-fight there's a BudLight Chelada banner hanging in the background. The banner probably pre-dated the release of Chelada in the states, but Mexicans have drank this stuff for a long time.

06-24-2009 00:19:44 | More by PheerNoBeer
undo222

4.35/5  rDev +148.6%

In my opinion, Bud light and Clamato, with the addition of the salt and lime, combine to create a very savory and satisfying taste sensation in your mouth. It seems to pair well with a rib eye or any well-marbled steak. I enjoy a cold Chelada on a hot summer day.
I have found, you either love it or hate it. Sure, it is not for everyone; after all, you cannot be all things to all people

02-01-2014 17:40:20 | More by undo222
AntG21

4.25/5  rDev +142.9%

08-06-2014 13:57:03 | More by AntG21
mtschmitz

4.23/5  rDev +141.7%

Ok, so first off when you purchase a beer like 'bud light chelada' I don't think it's the best intention to pour it into a snifter glass and give it a full review like a 'pliny the elder' would.

This is a drink primarily for when you're hungover; or have run out of beer for the night and you find it in the recess of your fridge.

I can't tell you what it looks like, I've only consumed straight from the can. It smells decent, and tastes pretty damn good, in my opinion.

I find it laughable when I read review of people critiquing this and pouring it into various glasses and expecting something great. It's bud light and clamato. Come on.

Overall I've enjoyed my fair share of Chelada and this will always have a place in my heart...

11-18-2012 08:18:02 | More by mtschmitz
MikeInIowa

Iowa

4.08/5  rDev +133.1%

"And now, something completely different..."
--announcer introduction to
Monty Python's Flying Circus, circa 1969

OK. I get it. Most reviews are not fans of this brew, but it is a nice diversion. Just don't indulge too much if you have problems with fluid retention in your body because there is a high level of sodium in this beer's Clamato juice.

But then, it is not for every day imbibing. It is for special occasions, and it goes so completely well with Tex-Mex dishes.

A: It is red and opaque and has an average head and lacing. It's red because it is a combination of Bud Light (or Budweiser) and Clamato juice, which are popular combinations of beverages in various regions around North America. The good people of Winnipeg were the first to introduce the Bud Light / Clamato combo to me when I visited Canada in 2004.

S: Fruity

T: Refreshingly different. It has a bite to it. Zesty and zippy like a Bloody Mary without the steak sauce that cannot spell. Wirschester? (You get the idea.)

M: Feels juicy in the mouth and it effervesces as it passes the rear of the palate.

D: Above average.

04-16-2009 18:38:33 | More by MikeInIowa
UncleJimbo

01-26-2013 01:04:19 | More by UncleJimbo
Vanlingleipa

Back in the 1970s, I laughed my way through a John Waters cinematic grossfest called Pink Flamingos. Then, I found it extra bonus fun to take a unsuspecting girlfriend to this flick and watch her get repulsed to the core, capped off by the infamous closing poodle scene.

Although I've long left those sort of cheap thrills behind, I get a similar pang of nostalgia from those days when someone spots the can or two of Bud Light Chelada that I usually keep in the fridge and recoils in horror.

Me, I listen to my taste buds, which tell me that there's nothing wrong with a fizzy, beer flavored Clamato (especially after shaking in a few drops of Tapatio hot sauce). It's like the girlfriend your parents hate, the husband's best friend that his wife can't stand, and best of all - the one beer in the fridge that nobody else will drink no matter what. And I like it.

BONUS CHELADA EXPERIENCE

Go to Tijuana during the Tequila Expo in October where they serve Chelada with a tart Tamarind/Sugar rim. Now that's a mariachi party in your mouth, hot Latina groupies included.

Recommended food pairing: streets taco or a bacon wrapped hot dog.

09-19-2011 09:15:39 | More by Vanlingleipa
SevaTse

New Hampshire

3.95/5  rDev +125.7%

Consumed from a pint glass, poured out of a tall can.

I enjoy clamato a whole lot more than I enjoy Bud Light, and thus this delivers the taste with a small amount of alcohol.

The color is cloudy redish, basically what you would expect if you poured Bloody Mary mix into a pint of cheap beer appearance wise.

09-16-2011 20:00:32 | More by SevaTse
DocJitsu

3.93/5  rDev +124.6%

It appears to be something akin to watery tomato juice. Not necessarily appetizing at all. It smells much better than it looks. Dried chili pepper, lime, tomato, and lager aromas. The mouthfeel is wet with a nice carbonation/spice on the back of the throat. A very pleasing gardeny and lime flavor that is the only thing that can hit that spot. A good bloody Mary, maybe, but it wouldn't be nearly as thirst quenching. I love it! I've always loved it. I'm as happy as a clam(ato) that I found a local retailer who sells it in sixers.

04-19-2012 03:40:28 | More by DocJitsu
NorthCountry

Wisconsin

3.88/5  rDev +121.7%

I'm reviewing this product purely for what it is, not as compared to any other beer.

I love a good tomato juice (particularly homemade stuff by people who know what they're doing, like my mom used to, and another woman from my hometown who made rich, spicy tomato juice specifically for mixing with beer) and though this stuff doesn't really compare to good homemade tomato juice mixed with a better beer, for the convenience, and for what it is, I have to say I love the stuff.

One or two of these after work really hit the spot for me. With it's lower alcohol content (4.2%) it doesn't hit hard, and the tomato/Clamato flavor along with the seasonings is almost food-like in a way. A little heavy on the salt, but overall, and again, knowing what this stuff is (Bud Light's macro version of something that can be better with a little TLC) it's not bad at all, IMO.

Rated purely for what it is, I give it a 4.0. Up against good beers of all types and styles, maybe a 1.5.

08-04-2012 20:03:18 | More by NorthCountry
dopehousex3

3.8/5  rDev +117.1%

At first I thought this was a bad idea but after giving a chance and being opened minded about it I got to say it was not that bad. I love clamato and I do like bud light and both together they did a ok job. After the second one you start to get used to the taste and how smooth it really is. The smell is not great but in my opinion the taste makes up for it. Just give it a chance and try to be opened minded.

07-31-2010 02:15:27 | More by dopehousex3
Chinty_McGinty

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.79/5  rDev +116.6%

Up here in Canada, beer and clam is a favorite of many! Bud light Chelada is what it is... A crisp light beer mixed with clamato juice. It's not a fancy beer. It's not trying to be anything other than it is. It's a cold, crisp, salty and refreshing can of yum! I love these cheladas, especially on a hot day at the lake!

07-06-2013 06:08:25 | More by Chinty_McGinty
Jared-Gustin

3.75/5  rDev +114.3%

06-18-2014 13:02:06 | More by Jared-Gustin
ZenAgnostic

3.55/5  rDev +102.9%

24oz can poured into a Budweiser pint glass.

Appearance - Chicos taco's sauce. Watery looking tomato juice. Opaque with visible particulate matter. No head. Weird looking, but proper for the style.

Smell - No smell. Vaguely like clamato. No offensive or off smells, just odorless.

Taste - Tastes more like clamato than beer. Has a nice bite. If you think of it as a Clamato while taking a sip, it's delicious. Tomato and sweetness with a slight undercurrent of bud light. Better than regular clamato. But if you think of it as a beer when taking a sip, it's kinda weird. Surprisingly enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - Clean with a crisp bite.

Overall Drinkability - Actually really enjoyed this. First time I had it I thought it was pretty gross, maybe because I was drinking it sort of warm from the can. Chilled in a glass is pretty worthy.

07-19-2011 23:21:54 | More by ZenAgnostic
CBarrs

3.5/5  rDev +100%

Not as bad as some folks are making it out to be. This beer is real good with Mexican food.

08-15-2014 07:10:15 | More by CBarrs
RustyM

3.5/5  rDev +100%

I really like a red beer and this one is no exception. The color is not the best as it's sort of a pinkish color and not a lot of head. It's a little spicy and goes down really smooth and the aftertaste is really nice. Has a hint of lime and it's slightly salty. I think it's pretty decent red beer, but not something I'd drink all night long but is a good starter for the evening.

01-10-2013 01:04:09 | More by RustyM
CRK

South Dakota

01-04-2013 03:13:13 | More by CRK
pistola

3.38/5  rDev +93.1%

OK first, I think this beer or mixed beer is a bit underrated. Maybe because I remember my dad using beer and clamato juice the day after putting on a good one. My opinion is that this is an OK beer on a hot day or (morning after) if you want something that's got some salt to help keep you hydrated, decent flavor if you like tomato juice, and its pretty easy on the taste buds. IMHO, you can't judge this beer for anything but what it is. A tomato based brew meant for a certain occasion. But, thats my opinion. Anyway, I give it an average rating. Its a specialty beer to me.

07-01-2012 19:17:03 | More by pistola
EdgarAllensHoe

3.38/5  rDev +93.1%

there is a HUGE demographic that buys 24-25 oz beers daily, this being one of them. It's got some saltiness, some clamato, and some lime. Nothing crazy here folks, I don't need to review bud light, but they do accomplish what they set out to. The key to these is drink them frosty cold. Pop it in the freezer for 15-20 minutes and get back to it. I like my stouts and abbey ales too, but the lower end alternatives like this aren't bad at all.

12-22-2013 02:27:49 | More by EdgarAllensHoe
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.33/5  rDev +90.3%

Bud Light & Clamato Chelada has a medium, pink head, which instantly fizzes away and an opaque red appearance, with golden splotches left on the side of the glass. The aroma is of tomato juice and a slight whiff of clam broth. Taste is of tomato juice, clam broth, lime flavor, and maybe some Bud Light. The body is medium to thick, and Bud Light Chelada finishes soupy, like a watery clam chowder. Overall, for what it is (an odd concoction), it’s pretty enjoyable. I recommend it for someone who would like to try something different.

RJT

11-13-2011 21:33:56 | More by RonaldTheriot
branko7

3.33/5  rDev +90.3%

First of all, if you don't like Clamato (tomato juice, salt, clam juice, and other flavorings), you won't like this (dare I say) unholy mixture. But if you do (and I do), you may like this.

The color is not very appetizing (drink it straight from the can and you won't notice). The smell, to me, is the worst part: smells a bit like something spoiled. But the taste, I actually like. It's like carbonated, watered down Clamato, with some hot sauce and a bit of alcohol (I wouldn't say beer---just the sense of alcohol. Not too strong, but it's there.) It helps if you're hungry---it has a savory taste.

I admit it's a bit tough to finish a 24-oz can, and don't let it get too warm on you, but this is definitely something I like once in a while. I certainly find it more interesting than Bud Light on its own.

11-24-2009 04:23:12 | More by branko7
alkemy

3.33/5  rDev +90.3%

Has the requisite "bloody beer" look. I've been drinking a variant of this for years with Rolling Rock. I'm not quite seeing everyone's need to pan the stuff...you know what you're getting. I mean it's adjunct lager beer and Clamato. I like it. Refreshing during and after outdoor summer activity. Pour in the Tabasco for a pick-me-up on those mornings you may have been over served the night before. Granted, I like my personal mixture (Rolling Rock/Clamato Bloody Mary mix) better, but this is serviceable.

09-22-2009 15:27:54 | More by alkemy