Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Bud Light & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Bud Light & Clamato CheladaBud Light & Clamato Chelada

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-26-2007

I can't get the flavor out of my mouth. Somebody help me. I tried licking the bottom of my shoe. This beer tastes of cheap light flavorless beer mixed with the worst tomato juice you can find then someone accidentally poured the water out of a fish tank into it, then dumped salt into it to bring out the flavor. Truly horrible.

Appearance is very similar to the Bud version with pink ruby red grapefruit juice coming to mind extremely fizzy pink tinted head dwindles down to nothing leaves tomato juice residuals clinging to the glass but no lace to speak of here. Slight mineral can smell going on with salty citric acid ocean breeze and Campbell's tomato soup in your nares. Flavor wise this one doesn't taste as much like acid reflux as the Bud counterpart more salty tomato and citrus notes flooding the senses. Really clears out my sinuses for some out reason still no beer flavor coming through just like a seafood infused tomato cocktail or better yet to be fare it's like gazpacho minus the heavy spiciness or herbal cilantro qualities. Maybe it could use some vegetation because this is a really hard can to get down on your own split it up on a Sunday afternoon and make it a cocktail hour. If your going to abuse beer like this don't let AB mix it for you grab some tomato juice a little salt and call it a Red Eye. Why do we have to throw in the clam saltiness and citrus flow, because that equates to acid reflux in your mouth. Mouthfeel is kinda viscous hell it has almost 2 grams of protein in it, carbonation is fizzy but tomato puree' and clam juice make this one pretty hearty. Drinkability pretty horrible in my standards, I had to attempt the Bud Light version because it kept staring me from the fridge after my Budweiser and Clamato experience the other night. Not as terrible as that was I guess because I'm somewhat prepared now, but this is by all means a drain pour unless your trying to be a tough guy and finish it just to say you did. By the way, I'm not going to pour this one and as I continue to abuse my palate it adjusts to the Chelada flow and it actually becomes more tolerable with each sip.

Had to try this oddball after my tour of the brewery in Fort Collins.

A - Pinkish orange and very turbid with a frothy head. Looks like vegetables and ice that have been through a food processor. A shade lighter than V8. Looks nothing at all like beer.

S - V8, seafood, and hot sauce. Smells like bloody mary mix.

T - Hot sauce, tomato puree, V8 with tobasco sauce, and clam juice. This is definitely not my thing, but it sure is unique. It's quite foul.

M - Thick V8 puree viscosity. Feels like drinking spaghetti sauce or vomit.

D - Not for me, but this could be a very viable alternative for those who dig bloody marys or V8, or like to re-ingest their own vomit. This is, along with Cave Creek Chili Beer, the wosrt beer of all time.

Alright, review #500. I wanted to pick a special beer for this one. But, I couldn't resist Chelada. I suppose it is indeed special. But, not in a good way.

I'd like to thank csmiley for the can. This one has about 6 months of age on it, so it is a vintage 2008 can.

Appearance: In color, it's reminiscent of grapefruit juice. It's very pink with a slight orange hue to it. There's a lot of haze in there. A forceful pour only yielded a foamy white head that was about a finger deep. It dissipated quickly and left no lacing to speak of.

Smell: The nose isn't exactly a modicum of strength or depth. There is a distinct tomato smell to it. It's definitely salty smelling. There's also some light pepper and perhaps other spices. There's also an interesting soup-like aroma to it. Honestly, it's very weird and unimpressive. It's biggest fault is that it doesn't smell anything like beer. Not even bad beer.

Taste: I can honestly say that this is worse than I was expecting and I was expecting bad. Really bad. It's very heavy on tomato. That, in and of itself, is a horrible thing for a beer. It's very salty and that flavor resonates well into the aftertaste. It's a little peppery and spicy. There is an interesting soup flavor. Reminds of a chicken noodle broth. I'm not picking up any clam, but trust me, it wouldn't add anything positive here. It finishes like it started...full on tomato and salt blast.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied and watery. Not smooth at all. Carbonation is very high and buzzy. Drinkability is awful. I made a promise to drink the entire can and I intend to. But, damn...it is going to be a mighty struggle.

Wow. Bud Light Chelada takes it to a whole new level. How and why is this called beer? There's a not a single quality that justifies it being labeled as such. Having said that, this is truly the worst beer that's ever touched these lips. I'm still wondering if there's a way I can rate it lower. It doesn't deserve a "1" in the least. There's not a single, positive redeeming quality that could be built upon or improved. Bottom line, it's a train wreck.

Thanks for the opportunity and the experience, Chris. I'd love to say this is forgettable, but this awful beer will haunt my tastebuds for years to come.

Tallboy can from Chavez Supermarket. Bought this out of morbid curiosity, and it was everything I thought it would be.

Pours a hazy pinkish color with a rapidly disintegrating white head. Makes a sound as it fades, almost like pop rocks. Leaves some really weird residue on the glass.

Aroma is awful. Tomato, salt, lime, and clam. Yes, the clam is noticeable.

Flavor starts off not terrible, with tomato, lime, salt and crappy adjunct lager. Then the aftertaste hits you like a mack truck in the face. What is it? I really can't tell you. All I know is that it's plasticky and disgusting. Maybe rotting cellophane soaked in clam juice?

Light and boring on the palate with salty dryness.

This is sickening and very hard to drink. I didn't think this could be worse than the Indian Wells beers I recently had, but it was. This beer fails so badly in so many ways that it's utterly mind-blowing. Yes, I have had a real chelada, and this is infinitely worse than that was. This is the epitome of a perfect low score. Congrats, Anheuser-Busch, you did it!

If you are looking for a beer, don't drink this. Sure, you may be attracted to the odd combination of clam juice, tomato, and beer, wait, that doesn't sound good at all. The sole use for this beverage is to give to your friends when they first wake up from a hangover. Watch as they take one sip and then erupt like a volcano!

I was curious about this and picked a can up from the gas station. Got home and poured it into a pilsner glass. It looks like carbonated tomato juice. I took one gulp, swallowed, and immediately began retching and dry heaving. I kid you not, it tastes like you just vomited in your mouth and swallowed it back down. I ran straight to the bathroom thinking I was about to lose my lunch, and poured the rest down the toilet. This is the most vile concoction I've ever had in my life. Absolutely putrid. This is not just the worst beer I've ever tasted, it's the worst beverage I've ever tasted. For the life of me I can't figure out how anyone could enjoy this. But considering the fact that this has been on the market for five years, someone out there does.

24 oz can poured into a large mug.
10236 on the bottom of the can. "DO NOT SHAKE! Rotate gently to mix. With salt and lime, The perfect combination."

I highly doubt that.

A - Mixed in the can per instructions, this pours an insanely effervescent dirty tomato juice red. Floating in the abomination are chunks like mineral deposits. The head is nearly impossible to capture on camera as it disappears almost instantly, leaving behind a disgusting film covering the surface.

S - Rancid tomato soup and fabric band-aid give this beer a truly horrific aroma. I'll be totally honest that I'm actually pretty scared to try this.

T - I used to ate tomatoes. Recently I've become somewhat of a fan of them. Eating cherry tomatoes on, say, salad, startles loved ones into thinking somethings very wrong with me. Thanks to Chelada, I think I can never eat tomatoes again. Awful doesn't even begin to describe how wretched this tastes. Rotten tomato, salt, no lime to speak of, and to top it off...Bud Light. *Sigh

M - Avoiding taking another tiny sip to gauge the feel isn't very hard. But I press on... Insanely carbonated and effervescent, this makes Champagne feel flat. It's light-bodied and salty finishing.

O - Bud Light Chelada is by far the worst thing I've ever laid lips on. Terrifying beyond belief, nothing, not even this review, could possibly prepare someone for how quickly they'd want to run to the drain with this. If I go to hell when I die, this will surely be the only beverage available to me to quench a fire-and-brimstone-fueled thirst.

From a 750ml vessel into a tulip, Bud Light Chelada pours an opaque gore-like color. A light pink head rises to a finger's height and then immediately dissipates to nothing. I guess clam isn't good for head retention. Aromatically, tomatoes, celery, salt, stomach bile, lime and clam are quite prominent along with a hint of excrement. Upon taking my first sip, my palate is greeted by the familiar taste of gastric acid secretion, salt, Worcestershire sauce, lime, blood, fresh water clam juice, beefsteak tomatoes and fine aged celery. The mouthfeel is light and savory, the finish drying and salty with a peppery bite. This beer is a little rough right now, but I think it may mellow out with extended aging. Worth a try.

After helping my friend move I opened his fridge, only to realize the people that previously lived there had left behind this gem. Seeing how free is the only this beverage should be "enjoyed" I figured this was my best opportunity to try this.

OH GOD. Tastes like rotten speghettios. An icky thickness from the tomato juice. Cheap tomato juice flavor. Very salty. Like the salt that is great in balancing out a Gose, except here the salty serves as only a reminder of the poor life choice you made. Even after drinking it your throat is so dry from the salt. Oh, I forgot to mention the vomit flavor. Or at least what I imagine drinking vomit would taste like.

It's too bad there's no category for sound, because this beer when poured emits oratory befoulment that few other drinks could, or would want to, mimic. Blind people would know to stay away from this atrocious alchemy of beer and tomato sin. This "beverage" is a test of whether or not a person can prove the survival of the fittest theory. If it tastes detrimental to your health, then you oughtn't drink it and that's what a Chelada is, a disgusting prank. After consuming the tiniest sip, a drinker will cough and gag with a vehement force reserved only for tasting the strongest of moonshines. This drink is an embarrassment to beer manufacturers everywhere.

A: The beer is a murky light red color, with almost no head or lacing.

S: The aroma is of tomatoes and not much of anything else that would make you think you're about to drink a beer.

T: All I could taste was the clamato, tomato & clam juice, which just overpowered what little beer-like qualities were contained in the Bud Light itself. In all seriousness, the flavors and strong acidity in this caused it to taste like I regurgitated and then swallowed.

M: Not smooth, medium but viscous body, light carbonation, sour finish.

D: I didn't find it tasty at all, I suppose if the clamato is your thing, you may like this beer, but I didn't like it at all and quite honestly found this to be the worst tasting beer I've ever had.

Straggler part 3 of 4.

I pretty much already know what I'm getting myself into.

Look - Looks kind of like somebody juiced a bloody tampon into my glass. Large momenrary head that disappates to nothingness with a few seconds.

S - What you would expect. Bottom shelf tomato juice and bottom shelf beer.

T - Rancid salvation army esque tomato juice with a medium amount of salt and cheap adjunct.

F - Feels as lifeless and flat as the Dead Sea.

O - I'm going to take this outback and shoot it like the abomination it is. This is only the third beer where I couldn't stick to my " at least drink six ounces prior to dumping " motto. Other two were Mickey's and Steel Reserve. And this takes the shit cake for worst of all time.

Review from 12/11/10. Not sure I should thank zoso1967 for this one, but it was worth a darn good laugh!

The appearance looks like cloudy red grapefruit juice with chunks of nastiness. This looks like watery, blood vomit.

This is the most repulsive smell of any beer. It churns my stomach just smelling this. I smell salt laden tomato juice with a scent of dead fish.

Oh man, the taste is tomato soup with rancid tuna fish. This is horrible. I gagged when I drank this salty nastiness.

I don't know about the mouthfeel, I couldn't keep it in my mouth long enough to judge the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I gagged, worthy of a 1...simple enough.

24 oz. can. Had this beside the budweiser and it poured a little lighter color. Rated this one a notch lower. Tasted much, much worse. I hope that InBev rids this scourge from the earth.

To the editors: you need to have 0 and 0.5 available for scoring for beers such as this.

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

The revenge of the Chelada comes in as the baker's dozenth entry in Swill Tour 2010. It pours a cloudy ruby red grapefruit/blood orange topped by a strange wisp of a head. The nose is more painful than the non-light version, as though the clams had gone south, bringing some bad Zoidberg urine with it to bleach in the sun. The taste is saltier than before, blood-stained salt water mixed with bad taco seasoning. Mike: "Everything was just kind of bad before the Chelada. ... I don't care if a giant piece of poo drops in my glass: it's better than the Chelada." These feelings were shared by everyone else as well. The body is sickeningly medium, with a very light carbonation and a slimy feel, like a clam walking its way over my tongue. Possibly the worst thing ever made by a brewer. Bar none.

Is there not a negative rating on this site? This would be the first beer that I've had that would deserve it.

Everything about this beer is just plain awful.

It poured a raw pink color. It smelled like sour gym socks, and I can only imagine that eating those same socks would taste about the same as this beer did.

Drinkability is less than zero, because I could hardly swallow it. I can only hope that this "beer" gets taken off the market soon.

I'm not all about dogging beers out. Opinions are opinions, and what one person loves, another person may hate. But man, this stuff is unbearable. I can't imagine anyone enjoying this.

Im not going with an average BA style review with this beast.

I shared this with a few friends, and drain poured at least half of the 22oz can. I wanted to be as objective as possible, and I really gave it the ole college try... however this concoction refused to play fair, it doesnt come to the table with anything that could resemble decent or even average attributes. The only way i could imagine this being a beverage of choice would be if you grew up with every person in your family drinking clam and tomato juice for health reasons, and one day, someone said, lets add bad beer to it and it caught on.

Simply stated, this is the single worst liquid I have ever encountered in all the years of my adult life. As we broke open the can it, laughs and groans were heard as the waft of salty fish, (not clam... bad fish, like salt cod) wafted to our noses. Rancid tomato breaks through here and there. Pours a puke vegetable juice color. Literally looks like a wine drunk vomit after eating a salt stick. Salt granules literally stick to the sides of the glass.

The taste is something to be envied by any school lunch room double dare concoction. It hits the palate with a offensive tomato clam broth, followed by a tabasco sauce medley which isnt spicy, its more pointy... like its actually uncomfortable. Beyond my wildest nightmares of how awful something could be. Mouthfeel is thick and grainy and more pronounced after every filthy gag or clam salted burp. It reminds me of bad fishing bait.

Some of us, couldnt get past this first initial swig (me), but my friend downed at least 12 oz of bud light clamato. He rated it a 4 out of 10... I gagged thinking about it for days to come, and my stomach didnt feel right for about 4 hours after.

I know by reading some of the other reviews that this is a hit or miss for most... Lets just say I wouldnt drink this again if you paid me 100 bucks an oz.

Chilled can into a glass. I actually attempted to hide this from largadeer, who brought this to our tasting thinking it would be amusing. You know what's more amusing, Chris? Cornholing you with the f***ing can. But anyway, he started to cry, so I gave it back to him, and he proceeded to open it and make me drink it.

A: Pours a blood-vomit color, to steal a phrase. Murky light rose color with a short-lived off-white head. It looks like a lambic, but knowing what is to come, I can't give it a lambic pass.

S: It smells like vomit, quite literally. Salt and bile.

T: Similar to vomit, which I have experienced a few times after drinking too much.

D: Just truly vile. I poured myself a small sample and drain-poured it, then poured myself another sample at largadeer's insistence, and drain-poured that, too. I drainpoured this twice in the same evening. It's awful. Chris is genuinely an a-hole for bringing this.

I admit, I tried this on a dare. Didn't know what it was, but the brown bag should've given it away! The colour was a rather funky orange. The aroma was....well... clams and tomatoes. On the palate... my thoughts were, "What have I done?!! Is this a penance for past sins?!!" The taste seemed like my flatulence might taste after really bad Manhattan-style clam chowder. Oof!

I truly do love beer. Even in the most foul brews ever invented, I was able to find some redeeming value, or write off a cheap macrobrew or frat party beer as merely "generic" and "inoffensive" in some regard.

This past weekend a good friend of mine had a bad beer party. A party where we celebrate the entertainment value of masochisticly punishing ourselves with the most vile swill imaginable. Then came the small sample plastic cups with this pink fizzy (not foamy) invention and it blew the rest of the field out of the water. This is without question the most foul thing I've ever put in my body, and my first (and hopefully only) "beer" that scores 1's across the board.

Appearance: Pink and fizzy like soda instead of foamy like beer. It looks like cloudy Strawberry Fanta.

Smell: I've tried to bury the memory of Chelada's stench with my considerable skills of repression and about an entire pack of Camel Lights. Nothing doing. I might have to move onto Chesterfield Kings. It smells like spicy canned clams that have been left to rot in the sun for a few weeks. Nothing in here smells remotely like beer.

Taste: At first it bludgeons the taster with a wave of salt. Then the disgusting mixture of tomato and clam take over and refuse to leave the pallate no matter what tactics you use to get rid of it (the only thing that worked was a Rauschbier later in the contest).

Mouthfeel: It feels like a mix of V8 and cheap, generic soda on the tongue. The fizz is disturbing, but hardly the worst aspect. You can't simply swallow it, because it coats whatever it touches with a sick, impenetrable membrane of Clamato.

Drinkability: I was unable to finish the small 3 ounce sample glass I was given. The salt, clam and tomato were simply too much. Quite frankly, this brew would have been much better and much more drinkable (I can't believe I'm saying this) if they went much heavier on the Bud Light.

This is a "beer" that has truly scarred me for life.

I got this stuff to try in the name of science and if I could score it less than a one I would have this stuff is bad.

A - Poured a cloudy red color with a pink head that fades fast

S - I gagged its that bad it smells of tomato and rotten seafood

T - I almost threw up it tastes like tomato and vomit no beer taste at all

M - Theres lots of carbonation in this disaster

D - I only had a few sips of this and that was way too many for me I don't think I'd give this to someone as a joke even stay away from the Chelada

IT came in 1 pint 8 fluid oz (22 ounce) silver can. It proudly advertises that it is Bud Light and Clamato (with salt and lime the perfect combination) Below that it shows a beer goblet with limes in the rim and Chelada across the front of it. On the side it has a box that has both Spanish and English writing in it. The English says, "Enjoy the best of two worlds: a refreshing Bud Light and the unique flavor of Clamato. Drink a Red One, ready to go, or use your favorite ingredients to make it yours - wherever, whenever!" Ed note: Never

The color is like that of a dark pink grapefruit juice. There is a distinct red color to it. It's thick; light passes through, but barely. It just looks thick. When my wife walked into the room she said it looked like chum. There is no head at all and no lacing on the glass. There is a film, but it isn't pleasant looking. It's like floating bits of stuff have stuck to it.

The smell is mainly tomatoes, salt and only what can be described as wharf. You know, that scent you smell along piers that are in large bodies of water. There is a hint of lime and I think you might smell stale beer. I'm not sure if it was there or just my nose wishing it was. Unless you really like the scent of fish and bloody marys, don't smell this. The taste is going to haunt me for the rest of my life. In 20 years from now I'm going to wake up screaming while I have a nightmare remembering this review. First off, this does NOT taste like beer. Tomatoes, salt, clams with a slight stale beer backwash is what it tastes like. BTW, there are floaty bits in there. Not many, but there are some... and yes they are chewy. Fortunately they are few, far between and small.

I'd love to tell you what the mouthfeel is like on this beer, but honestly I didn't want it in my mouth long enough to find out. I will tell you that for the brief milliseconds I had it in my mouth it reminded me of drinking tomato sauce and vomit.

Bud Light Chelada is proof that the gods of beer have a dark and mean sense of humor. This has to be the vilest and nastiest beer I've drank in my life. It's not pleasant in any way or shape. It actually brought tears to my eyes at the thought of having to drink the whole 22 ounces and made me do the "it's icky" dance. Any of you with young kids knows what I'm talking about. I'm not joking when I warn you, for the love of all that is good and right in the world, DO NOT DRINK THIS BEER.

24 ounce can given me by my uncle

Had never heard of this before and this was for a reason

Quite possibly the worst thing I have ever drank

Red clam and tomato juice mixed with beer

Potent smell and taste was so salty and just flat out gross

Could never take a sip again as long as I live

Oh lord god, I have few words for this beverage that aren't four letters or can't be said to a police officer....

For this beer alone I would like to petition BA to let me give a negative score to a beer.

Lets make an actual attempt to rate this beer:

Smell: I've never been a comedian, so I don't know what it smells like when the audience thinks you suck and throws 7 week old tomatoes at you...but I imagine it's about the same smell.

Appearance: Pink? My suggestion, buy a can on March 31st and serve it to somebody in a clear glass who like grapefruit juice the next day...

Taste: Most of us have been there...drank far too much in a row and then it all comes back up. The best flavor I can remember from my last experience praying to the porcelain gods was better than one sip of this.

(Tomato + Bad + crappy beer)

Mouthfeel: Spit it into the sink too quickly to evaluate. I tried a few more sips just to see if I could get a palate rating, but sadly I kept being unable to keep it in my mouth for more than 3 seconds.

Drinkability: See mouthfeel for why I can't rate this....

Overall Impression: Now that InBev owns AB, they find whoever is responsible for this beer and ensure they are put into the ultimate dead end job to ensure they never have the opportunity to work for ANY other brewery and create something that resembles this terrorist attack on beer.

That being said, I have bought a 24 oz can and put it in my pantry next to my first aid kit because I realized my Ipecac Syrup was past date and forcing this down somebody's throat will probably have similar results.

Bud Light & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch