Bud Light & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 06-26-2007

1.68/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.5

A: The beer is quite hazy yellowish orange in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin off white head that quickly died down, leaving only a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of Manhattan clam chowder are present in the nose.
T: The initial taste starts out having flavors of Manhattan clam chowder and then transitions to flavors of Bud Light Lime with notes of Clamato in the background. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I found this to be undrinkable and didn't even really resemble a "beer" except for some notes of Bud Light Lime in the back end of the taste. It seems like the Clamato may serve as a better base to mix with other types of alcohol, such as hard liquor.

1.11/5  rDev -35.5%

its funny i should follow one of the best beers of the year (odell's meddler) with this thing. i usually save my reviews for craft products, but this flavor is now burned into my taste buds and mind forever, and i need to get on the web and try to save some folks from enduring the same burden. this is one of the worst beers of all time. is it even a beer? thatd be a generous classification. it pours a pinkish red color, more like tomato juice than beer, with some pulp and no head at all. the nose is a gag reflex trigger, salty, fishy, composty. ugh! the taste is even worse, and if you could score it a zero, i would have. its all the rankness of a budlight worsened further by a horrific salty seafoody juice that has no place in the beverage or culinary universe. all i can taste is salt and that adjunct malt crap. this is one of the worst tasting things ive ever put in my mouth, and ive eaten batteries, dog food, and unhealthy women, just to name a few. please please please stay away from this. there is no carbonation, its thick and wont wash down. there is nothing redeeming about it, and it gave me a new way to hate budlight, not that i needed one. brutal liquid here.

1.35/5  rDev -21.5%

Ok, I'll admit it. I'll buy any beer once. I do this so that I can obtain a good cross-seciton of the beers that are available. Some I have high hopes for, some I don't. When I bought this beer, my expectations were quite low. Even bracing for this, I was surprised. Calling this beer bad is an insult to bad beers everywhere. A pour that looks like a mix of grapefruit juice and tomato juice. Very fizzy and never formed any head or lacing then went flat very quickly. Aromas of citrus fruit, tomato juice, and wet dog. Taste of acidic tomato juice hits up front with a watery, grainy, citrus follow-up. Turns into selzer water late with a soggy, Bloody Mary taste. Body is weak, acidic, watery, and hot sauce-like. Finishes with V8 and baking soda taste and feel. This isn't even your every day, run-of-the-mill bad; it's a special bad that deserves a new name to properly describe it. After choking down about 10 oz of a 24 oz can, I donated it to the septic system (poor system).

Oh God, I just remembered... I have it's ugly twin brother, the Budwiezer version, waitin' in the fridge.

From a 750ml vessel into a tulip, Bud Light Chelada pours an opaque gore-like color. A light pink head rises to a finger's height and then immediately dissipates to nothing. I guess clam isn't good for head retention. Aromatically, tomatoes, celery, salt, stomach bile, lime and clam are quite prominent along with a hint of excrement. Upon taking my first sip, my palate is greeted by the familiar taste of gastric acid secretion, salt, Worcestershire sauce, lime, blood, fresh water clam juice, beefsteak tomatoes and fine aged celery. The mouthfeel is light and savory, the finish drying and salty with a peppery bite. This beer is a little rough right now, but I think it may mellow out with extended aging. Worth a try.

1.77/5  rDev +2.9%

355ml can, a single from my local chain store's remainder bin. People drank homemade versions of this 'concept' back when I was in school, as a hangover cure. More on that later. Made with Mott's Clamato in Canada, apparently.

This beer pours a hazy, murky, medium orange-tinted salmon colour, with three fingers of puffy, but mostly just fizzy salmon skin flecked white head, which leaves the strangest 'lace' that I have ever seen - it looks more like salt or pulp residue, and probably is, which makes it all the more creepily appropriate.

It smells of thin, watery clamato juice - tomato puree and mildly fishy clam extract - so not so yummy as ever. Nothing beer-ish comes through at all, other than a vague memory of white crackers dunked into cheap mall diner soup in my youth. The taste is very much cold, peppery tomato soup (I'm not going to sully the word 'bisque' here - wait, oops, oh well), and much more oyster cracker than actual seafood in its offsetting 'flavour'. I wasn't expecting anything directly from the beer side of things, and I was left thoroughly unsurprised.

The bubbles are pretty sublimated, but shyly peek out now and then, the body an actually sturdy medium weight, but then again, tomato juice isn't usually all that thin either. It finishes 'dry', I suppose, the muddled spiciness of the clamato juice still stomping on Bud Light's 98-pound weakling head.

Like the Bud version before this, but even more so, in those obvious minute degrees, of course, the beer quotient is barely perceptible here, letting the guest blend ingredient do its thing. I see this as the choice for those people who think they like pasta sauce in their drink, yet are too chickenshit to make/procure/consume a proper homemade Caesar. I can't finish this can, let alone a whole six-pack, which sort of leads us back to the Caesar - the right way to consume clamato juice - if it ain't boozy, what's the point?

2.68/5  rDev +55.8%

Micheladas and I are no strangers, but this is just a failure in a can. Weak, watery, and truly ugly.

Pours a light murky pink, with flecks of seasoning suspended in the glass. Looks like pond water. An angry sizzle of bubbles rise after the pour, and fizzle out immediately. A strange oily residue is left on the surface, that's just wrong.

Smells vaguely like tomato juice, but the blend with BL really cuts any clam/seafood/creative descriptor one might attempt to conjure up. A real michelada would smell like a bloody mary, and this falls short.

Taste is not awful, if you've ever blended a lager and V8 it's not far off. Tomato juice, Maggi seasoning, pepper, celery salt, faint artificial lime in the aftertaste. Dries out from the salt. No real hint of beer to be found, other than the bland watery body associated with Bud Light. Next to the Bud Chelada, this truly seems cut with water by comparison.

An acquired taste and an oddity to be sure, but so is Short's Bloody Beer, Mamma Mia Pizza Beer, etc. Not that far out, but using inferior ingredients in this case equals disaster. If you like bloody marys, mix your own instead with a decent Mexican lager like Bohemia, Dos Equis Amber, with Clamato, lime, and Cholula sauce.

1.26/5  rDev -26.7%

from the lost notebook!

whatever made me drink this is beyond me at this point as there is simply nothing at all redeeming about it. in fact this may have been one of the worst drinking expierences of my life. the pour is an ugly murky pink color that really just belongs more in the juice catagory then any alcohol. the smell is putrid with tomotoes, pepper, just wrong, i cannot even begin to really get into it as the aroma alone was making me gag and if that was not enough i decided to try and take a sip, why would i ever do this to myself is beyond me. i barely was able to get one sip down as the flavor was so overwhelmingly bad. tomotoes, pepper, stale fruit, just wow.

i have no idea how they could even market this as a beer. really this should be deleted from the database.

3.03/5  rDev +76.2%

Appearance: Looks like hazy, thinned tomato juice capped by a small, fizzy, white head.

Smell: A few hearty squirts of Heinz ketchup into a pot of simmering celery stock with no more than a few faroff hints of actual beer.

Taste: Salty tomato soup taste. Tiny hit of acidity. Very ketchupy and heavily seasoned with celery salt. Sweetish beer thins things out. Peppery spice. Thinnish tomato water finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not altogether terrible. In fact, it's okay.

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

The revenge of the Chelada comes in as the baker's dozenth entry in Swill Tour 2010. It pours a cloudy ruby red grapefruit/blood orange topped by a strange wisp of a head. The nose is more painful than the non-light version, as though the clams had gone south, bringing some bad Zoidberg urine with it to bleach in the sun. The taste is saltier than before, blood-stained salt water mixed with bad taco seasoning. Mike: "Everything was just kind of bad before the Chelada. ... I don't care if a giant piece of poo drops in my glass: it's better than the Chelada." These feelings were shared by everyone else as well. The body is sickeningly medium, with a very light carbonation and a slimy feel, like a clam walking its way over my tongue. Possibly the worst thing ever made by a brewer. Bar none.

1.89/5  rDev +9.9%

I cannot begin to describe how completely vile and repulsive I found this beer. The aroma alone was enough to make me wretch... I didn't vomit, but I could have, and the flavor just brought me closer. However, that said, I do understand that this is a big thing in the midwest (they used to mix their own!), and A-B is not a stupid company - someone is buying this and likes it!!! But what can I do.... I can't even say it's to style. Well made, well yes, I guess. But I'm going to have to go completely hedonistic on this review. Sorry A-B, I can't do any better.

3.24/5  rDev +88.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I think you first have to know what Clamato tastes like, and at least moderately enjoy the stuff. That's basically what this Bud Light Chelada tastes like, with, as the label notes, "el inigualable sabor de Clamato." Since I can't really taste whether there is beer in this or not, it's a vast improvement over plain Bud Light, which is generally agreed to taste like metallic club soda.

Salty and sweet, a nice tang of something like jalapenos, and you're on your way to rehydration. I don't believe anyone has mentioned that this would be the correct beer pairing with menudo.

It does make you cringe a little when you pour this into a tumbler (not one of my Belgian beer glasses, sorry). Salmon pink with a big head that crumbles into some strangely big bubbles, and then flatness. That's why musicman575 is correct in saying it is intended to drunk from the can. More spritz that way.

A: The beer is a murky light red color, with almost no head or lacing.

S: The aroma is of tomatoes and not much of anything else that would make you think you're about to drink a beer.

T: All I could taste was the clamato, tomato & clam juice, which just overpowered what little beer-like qualities were contained in the Bud Light itself. In all seriousness, the flavors and strong acidity in this caused it to taste like I regurgitated and then swallowed.

M: Not smooth, medium but viscous body, light carbonation, sour finish.

D: I didn't find it tasty at all, I suppose if the clamato is your thing, you may like this beer, but I didn't like it at all and quite honestly found this to be the worst tasting beer I've ever had.

Appearance is very similar to the Bud version with pink ruby red grapefruit juice coming to mind extremely fizzy pink tinted head dwindles down to nothing leaves tomato juice residuals clinging to the glass but no lace to speak of here. Slight mineral can smell going on with salty citric acid ocean breeze and Campbell's tomato soup in your nares. Flavor wise this one doesn't taste as much like acid reflux as the Bud counterpart more salty tomato and citrus notes flooding the senses. Really clears out my sinuses for some out reason still no beer flavor coming through just like a seafood infused tomato cocktail or better yet to be fare it's like gazpacho minus the heavy spiciness or herbal cilantro qualities. Maybe it could use some vegetation because this is a really hard can to get down on your own split it up on a Sunday afternoon and make it a cocktail hour. If your going to abuse beer like this don't let AB mix it for you grab some tomato juice a little salt and call it a Red Eye. Why do we have to throw in the clam saltiness and citrus flow, because that equates to acid reflux in your mouth. Mouthfeel is kinda viscous hell it has almost 2 grams of protein in it, carbonation is fizzy but tomato puree' and clam juice make this one pretty hearty. Drinkability pretty horrible in my standards, I had to attempt the Bud Light version because it kept staring me from the fridge after my Budweiser and Clamato experience the other night. Not as terrible as that was I guess because I'm somewhat prepared now, but this is by all means a drain pour unless your trying to be a tough guy and finish it just to say you did. By the way, I'm not going to pour this one and as I continue to abuse my palate it adjusts to the Chelada flow and it actually becomes more tolerable with each sip.

1.78/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Pours a cloudy pale pinkish orange in color (not dissimilar to pink grapefruit juice) with some light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a quarter finger tall fizzy pinkish white head that quickly fades to a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Strong aromas of celery salt which dominates over the lighter aromas of crushed tomatos and something briny (it could be the clam juice but the smell if not that distinct. There is not even a subtle hint of beer.

T: Moderate to strong flavors of watery tomatos, celery salt, salt/brine, and clam juice... Actually the celery salt is a little overwhelming.

M: Light bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation.

O: Found at a gas station during my commute for Thanksgiving visiting with family - glad I found it but this is not something I will be picking up again. The smell and the flavor of the beer are really completely lost in this one, it just seems to contribute the carbonation.

1.28/5  rDev -25.6%

Picked this up along with Budweiser Chelada and split with ShanePB. We had to see just how bad they could be.

A: As we consumed from the can, couldn't get a good look, but it looked to be light red/pink in color. Rather bubbly.

S: Peppery tomatoes, a bit of horseradish, and a little bit of grain. Smells rather briny/salty. Certainly did not make me look forward to taking a sip.

T: Overly salty with synthetic tasting tomato juice. Some pepper and horseradish give it some spice. There is also some onion as well. Tastes much worse than regular Bud Light.

M: Light bodied with medium to high carbonation. Very fizzy.

O: Terrible, it amazes me that this product is still produced. I can't imagine it sustains itself off the curiosity of BAs though. Someone has to be buying it and I would love to know who.

1.52/5  rDev -11.6%

Matt aka mdaschaf and I came across both Bud Light and Budweiser Chelada at Discount Liquors in Rehoboth, DE sitting in the cooler. $1.75 each, I just absolutely had to try it for the curiosity of it. Consumed from the 16 ounce can.

A: Obviously, I couldn't get much of a visual on it, but from what I could see in the light and what remained around the lip of the can after each sip, it had a watery light red / pink body. Essentially, tomato juice watered down with some bubbles added for carbonation.

S: Tomato puree, pepper, slight horseradish, onion and some very light grains. In no way does this resemble anything of a beer but then again this "style" is supposed to be a blending anyway, so it is what it is. The Bud Light version smelled much less potent than the Budweiser, but both had essentially the same characteristics.

T: Rotten tomato paste, red chilis, red onions, celery, spinach and a hint of spicy horseradish in the end. I can't get anything in terms of Bud Light nor any beer for that matter in here. The additional items blended on top of the beer simply overpower this and leave no traces of beer behind. It's rather unfortunate because even a more pronounced Bud Light flavor, as crappy as it is on its own, would have helped give this a much needed cut in the flavor.

M: Fizzy, watery, light bodied. For using Bud Light, I guess this is pretty in line though I would have thought the adjuncts would have at least given this some type of body.

It was fun to actually try this beer after seeing it at the "bottom of the list" in terms of worst beers on BA. I mean, we each only took a few sips from each can and then pitched them, but from someone who's actually had an authentic michelada, this is a terrible disservice and insult to the traditional drink.

Pours a tangerine color with bubbly, soapy head that quickly disappears. Smells like Bud Light with a little tomato mixed in. Tastes like tomato juice mixed with water. Mouthfeel is light, sweet, and mildly carbonated.

WTF? How do they get away with selling this?! If you like V8 you'll like this, if not you're SOL.

1.26/5  rDev -26.7%

Wow, was this bad! I thought that my C/S host might bring something new to my perception of this, but no. Ugh, was this brutal! The nose had a scent of of something dead under the pier. The color was an ugly reddish-pink like grapefruit juice. Mouthfeel was medium with a fishy, peppery taste. Oh my. Finish had a definite black pepper taste, underlain by by some nasty fishiness. Who thinks this is good?

2.15/5  rDev +25%

Picked up a 16 oz. can out of sheer perverse curiosity. Do I regret it? I don't think so. Do I regret not also buying the Budweiser Chelada to taste? Not at all.

It pours a hazy pink with the head of club soda (light and quickly disappearing). The appearance was pretty unappealing, though I guess the style is wide open, but it reminded me of fish guts and it was kind of bloody pink with bits of what I assume to be tomato floating around.

The aroma and flavor came off like a cold, salty version of condensed Campbell's Tomato Soup that's cut with light beer instead of milk or water. Frankly, I found it a bit too salty, even though one of my immediate urges what to add oyster crackers and make myself a grilled cheese sandwich.

The beer came off fairly thick and was by no means easy to drink. This was a definite drain pour for me, but I can see this being an acquired taste as none of the individual flavor were actually repulsive or anything. This beer simply is what it is and now I never have to try it again.

2.4/5  rDev +39.5%

Oh yeah they make a light beer version of this stuff so I just HAD to make sure it was catalogued in the BA database. If not as a recommendation at least as a fair warning to the curious.

This is the light version of this beer:

In the glass this is a cloudy pink colored beer with a temporary pink head. This is so pink it almost glows.

The smell is salt celery, tomato and pepper. I can't really smell clam in this but it does have the scent of the ocean to it, I can only assume that that must be the clams.

The flavor begins salty and strongly flavored of celery. If there is any difference between this and its regular version it would be that this tastes even more like a Bloody Mary...Beery Mary anyone? It does taste OK and there is a detectable amount of pepper heat in the back of the throat just to let you know that there is some hot pepper in there somewhere. It doesn't taste like beer but it is an OK bloody Mary flavored beer soda.

The mouthfeel is light.

This can costs $3 and I really don't think that this is worth it except as a novelty to try once just so you can talk about it. Just another weird beer in the world like banana lambic.

1.12/5  rDev -34.9%

Thanks to hopdog for the opportunity...
Appears a hazy pink with a small white cap. Streaky lacing is left around the glass.
Smell...really gross of tomatoes, oregeno, clam juice. Blecchhh!
Taste - I really can't even describe the horror of this. Read the comments from smell.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, acidic, and the vomit lingering is either from this abomination, or the dry heaving actually coming back up in my mouth.
I know this is the rage out West by putting this kind of crap in your beer but this must be one of the all time worst marketing schemes I've ever heard of. I guess there must be a target market out there for this but I don't think I want to be associated with them.

2.18/5  rDev +26.7%

Poured from 16oz pounder into a pint glass. I just tried the regular-Bud version of Chelada a few minutes ago, so we'll see if the Bud Light version is any different at all.

Appearance: hazy salmon pink, again, with a little fizzy foam that dissipates instantly. Not intriguing.

Smell: lightly sweet bloody mary mix, just like its big brother, except here there's a hint of that artificial plastic-like aroma which pervades plain ol' Bud Light. Not good at all.

Taste: kind of like the regular chelada, but lighter, more artificial and slightly less appetizing. Still, if what you are looking for is cheap beer mixed with tomato, then this will pretty much deliver.

Mouthfeel: light, lightly carbonated, bland but not completely insipid.

Overall: it's hard to wax poetic about a brew like this. Do I like it? No. Is there something here for some people? Sure. But, I will say, if you're going to go the chelada route -- do the regular Bud, not the Bud Light version.

1.2/5  rDev -30.2%

A- I drank it from a glass, however, when I got the chance to pour the second half of the can down the drain I noticed it looked like Clamato juice.

S- From what I could smell it smelled like bud light and aluminum, but I think it was just the can. In other words there wasn't much to smell.

T- The first few sips wernt that bad. It was like what you would expect from a red beer, however, they were a little heavy in the red part, and I'm not that big of fan of clamato juice. But after the first few sips it was horrible. I poured it down the drain.

M- A fizzy tomato juice feel.

D- I don't think so.

If you like Bloody Mary's you might like this.

1.17/5  rDev -32%

Per someone's suggestion, I've decided to review this, though there was no way I was going to let it be #1000. First, I must give a bit of background information on why I want to try this. Ever since I was a kid, I've hated tomato juice. Just the very smell of it made me sick. My parents would groan in disappointment whenever I refused a glass of it for each holiday dinner. I also remember my neighbors and how they liked to drink their Carling Black Label. They'd toss salt in it to kill the head. Mix in Bud Light, tomato juice and salt and you have one unholy combination.

This elixir pours a light reddish-blond color with absolutely no head into my glass. Just by looking at it, I can tell that I'm not going to enjoy this.

The aroma is full of tomato sauce and salt with only a hint of actual beer underneath. Actually, it barely passes for beer but I'll go into that with another review. Already, I'm dreading the taste.

The taste is full of salt upfront and tomato kicks in afterward. Strong tomato taste here that along with the salt, bludgeons any of the "beer flavor" that might exist. It's like pouring a cheap lager into a glass of V8 and rimming it with salt.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering tomato and salt, which seem to bludgeon my taste buds mercilessly. Thankfully, it's not as thick as the Bud Chelada so the mouthfeel is a bit more tolerable.

In conclusion, this cannot be called beer, unless you wish to be mocked by those that enjoy actual beer. I seriously wonder what the marketing people at A-B were thinking when they dreamed this up. I would like to have some of what they were smoking at the time. After all, you'd have to really hate beer to want to dump salt and tomato juice in it.

In other words, I try beer like this so you don't have to.

24 oz can poured into a large mug.
10236 on the bottom of the can. "DO NOT SHAKE! Rotate gently to mix. With salt and lime, The perfect combination."

I highly doubt that.

A - Mixed in the can per instructions, this pours an insanely effervescent dirty tomato juice red. Floating in the abomination are chunks like mineral deposits. The head is nearly impossible to capture on camera as it disappears almost instantly, leaving behind a disgusting film covering the surface.

S - Rancid tomato soup and fabric band-aid give this beer a truly horrific aroma. I'll be totally honest that I'm actually pretty scared to try this.

T - I used to ate tomatoes. Recently I've become somewhat of a fan of them. Eating cherry tomatoes on, say, salad, startles loved ones into thinking somethings very wrong with me. Thanks to Chelada, I think I can never eat tomatoes again. Awful doesn't even begin to describe how wretched this tastes. Rotten tomato, salt, no lime to speak of, and to top it off...Bud Light. *Sigh

M - Avoiding taking another tiny sip to gauge the feel isn't very hard. But I press on... Insanely carbonated and effervescent, this makes Champagne feel flat. It's light-bodied and salty finishing.

O - Bud Light Chelada is by far the worst thing I've ever laid lips on. Terrifying beyond belief, nothing, not even this review, could possibly prepare someone for how quickly they'd want to run to the drain with this. If I go to hell when I die, this will surely be the only beverage available to me to quench a fire-and-brimstone-fueled thirst.

Bud Light & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch