Bud Light & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-26-2007)

t0rin0, Aug 18, 2012

Texasfan549, Dec 21, 2011
1.65/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.5

A: The beer is quite hazy yellowish orange in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin off white head that quickly died down, leaving only a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of Manhattan clam chowder are present in the nose.
T: The initial taste starts out having flavors of Manhattan clam chowder and then transitions to flavors of Bud Light Lime with notes of Clamato in the background. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I found this to be undrinkable and didn't even really resemble a "beer" except for some notes of Bud Light Lime in the back end of the taste. It seems like the Clamato may serve as a better base to mix with other types of alcohol, such as hard liquor.

metter98, Nov 06, 2013

kjkinsey, Dec 19, 2011
1.35/5  rDev -24.2%

Ok, I'll admit it. I'll buy any beer once. I do this so that I can obtain a good cross-seciton of the beers that are available. Some I have high hopes for, some I don't. When I bought this beer, my expectations were quite low. Even bracing for this, I was surprised. Calling this beer bad is an insult to bad beers everywhere. A pour that looks like a mix of grapefruit juice and tomato juice. Very fizzy and never formed any head or lacing then went flat very quickly. Aromas of citrus fruit, tomato juice, and wet dog. Taste of acidic tomato juice hits up front with a watery, grainy, citrus follow-up. Turns into selzer water late with a soggy, Bloody Mary taste. Body is weak, acidic, watery, and hot sauce-like. Finishes with V8 and baking soda taste and feel. This isn't even your every day, run-of-the-mill bad; it's a special bad that deserves a new name to properly describe it. After choking down about 10 oz of a 24 oz can, I donated it to the septic system (poor system).

Oh God, I just remembered... I have it's ugly twin brother, the Budwiezer version, waitin' in the fridge.

BEERchitect, Feb 29, 2008

ygtbsm94, Apr 24, 2012
1.23/5  rDev -30.9%

from the lost notebook!

whatever made me drink this is beyond me at this point as there is simply nothing at all redeeming about it. in fact this may have been one of the worst drinking expierences of my life. the pour is an ugly murky pink color that really just belongs more in the juice catagory then any alcohol. the smell is putrid with tomotoes, pepper, just wrong, i cannot even begin to really get into it as the aroma alone was making me gag and if that was not enough i decided to try and take a sip, why would i ever do this to myself is beyond me. i barely was able to get one sip down as the flavor was so overwhelmingly bad. tomotoes, pepper, stale fruit, just wow.

i have no idea how they could even market this as a beer. really this should be deleted from the database.

mikesgroove, Feb 23, 2011

westcoastbeerlvr, Jan 10, 2013
3.03/5  rDev +70.2%

Appearance: Looks like hazy, thinned tomato juice capped by a small, fizzy, white head.

Smell: A few hearty squirts of Heinz ketchup into a pot of simmering celery stock with no more than a few faroff hints of actual beer.

Taste: Salty tomato soup taste. Tiny hit of acidity. Very ketchupy and heavily seasoned with celery salt. Sweetish beer thins things out. Peppery spice. Thinnish tomato water finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not altogether terrible. In fact, it's okay.

ChainGangGuy, May 24, 2008

From a 750ml vessel into a tulip, Bud Light Chelada pours an opaque gore-like color. A light pink head rises to a finger's height and then immediately dissipates to nothing. I guess clam isn't good for head retention. Aromatically, tomatoes, celery, salt, stomach bile, lime and clam are quite prominent along with a hint of excrement. Upon taking my first sip, my palate is greeted by the familiar taste of gastric acid secretion, salt, Worcestershire sauce, lime, blood, fresh water clam juice, beefsteak tomatoes and fine aged celery. The mouthfeel is light and savory, the finish drying and salty with a peppery bite. This beer is a little rough right now, but I think it may mellow out with extended aging. Worth a try.

largadeer, Mar 25, 2010
2.7/5  rDev +51.7%

Micheladas and I are no strangers, but this is just a failure in a can. Weak, watery, and truly ugly.

Pours a light murky pink, with flecks of seasoning suspended in the glass. Looks like pond water. An angry sizzle of bubbles rise after the pour, and fizzle out immediately. A strange oily residue is left on the surface, that's just wrong.

Smells vaguely like tomato juice, but the blend with BL really cuts any clam/seafood/creative descriptor one might attempt to conjure up. A real michelada would smell like a bloody mary, and this falls short.

Taste is not awful, if you've ever blended a lager and V8 it's not far off. Tomato juice, Maggi seasoning, pepper, celery salt, faint artificial lime in the aftertaste. Dries out from the salt. No real hint of beer to be found, other than the bland watery body associated with Bud Light. Next to the Bud Chelada, this truly seems cut with water by comparison.

An acquired taste and an oddity to be sure, but so is Short's Bloody Beer, Mamma Mia Pizza Beer, etc. Not that far out, but using inferior ingredients in this case equals disaster. If you like bloody marys, mix your own instead with a decent Mexican lager like Bohemia, Dos Equis Amber, with Clamato, lime, and Cholula sauce.

emerge077, Jan 21, 2011

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

The revenge of the Chelada comes in as the baker's dozenth entry in Swill Tour 2010. It pours a cloudy ruby red grapefruit/blood orange topped by a strange wisp of a head. The nose is more painful than the non-light version, as though the clams had gone south, bringing some bad Zoidberg urine with it to bleach in the sun. The taste is saltier than before, blood-stained salt water mixed with bad taco seasoning. Mike: "Everything was just kind of bad before the Chelada. ... I don't care if a giant piece of poo drops in my glass: it's better than the Chelada." These feelings were shared by everyone else as well. The body is sickeningly medium, with a very light carbonation and a slimy feel, like a clam walking its way over my tongue. Possibly the worst thing ever made by a brewer. Bar none.

TMoney2591, Sep 27, 2010
1.76/5  rDev -1.1%

355ml can, a single from my local chain store's remainder bin. People drank homemade versions of this 'concept' back when I was in school, as a hangover cure. More on that later. Made with Mott's Clamato in Canada, apparently.

This beer pours a hazy, murky, medium orange-tinted salmon colour, with three fingers of puffy, but mostly just fizzy salmon skin flecked white head, which leaves the strangest 'lace' that I have ever seen - it looks more like salt or pulp residue, and probably is, which makes it all the more creepily appropriate.

It smells of thin, watery clamato juice - tomato puree and mildly fishy clam extract - so not so yummy as ever. Nothing beer-ish comes through at all, other than a vague memory of white crackers dunked into cheap mall diner soup in my youth. The taste is very much cold, peppery tomato soup (I'm not going to sully the word 'bisque' here - wait, oops, oh well), and much more oyster cracker than actual seafood in its offsetting 'flavour'. I wasn't expecting anything directly from the beer side of things, and I was left thoroughly unsurprised.

The bubbles are pretty sublimated, but shyly peek out now and then, the body an actually sturdy medium weight, but then again, tomato juice isn't usually all that thin either. It finishes 'dry', I suppose, the muddled spiciness of the clamato juice still stomping on Bud Light's 98-pound weakling head.

Like the Bud version before this, but even more so, in those obvious minute degrees, of course, the beer quotient is barely perceptible here, letting the guest blend ingredient do its thing. I see this as the choice for those people who think they like pasta sauce in their drink, yet are too chickenshit to make/procure/consume a proper homemade Caesar. I can't finish this can, let alone a whole six-pack, which sort of leads us back to the Caesar - the right way to consume clamato juice - if it ain't boozy, what's the point?

biboergosum, Jul 30, 2013
1.1/5  rDev -38.2%

its funny i should follow one of the best beers of the year (odell's meddler) with this thing. i usually save my reviews for craft products, but this flavor is now burned into my taste buds and mind forever, and i need to get on the web and try to save some folks from enduring the same burden. this is one of the worst beers of all time. is it even a beer? thatd be a generous classification. it pours a pinkish red color, more like tomato juice than beer, with some pulp and no head at all. the nose is a gag reflex trigger, salty, fishy, composty. ugh! the taste is even worse, and if you could score it a zero, i would have. its all the rankness of a budlight worsened further by a horrific salty seafoody juice that has no place in the beverage or culinary universe. all i can taste is salt and that adjunct malt crap. this is one of the worst tasting things ive ever put in my mouth, and ive eaten batteries, dog food, and unhealthy women, just to name a few. please please please stay away from this. there is no carbonation, its thick and wont wash down. there is nothing redeeming about it, and it gave me a new way to hate budlight, not that i needed one. brutal liquid here.

StonedTrippin, Oct 01, 2012
1.93/5  rDev +8.4%

I cannot begin to describe how completely vile and repulsive I found this beer. The aroma alone was enough to make me wretch... I didn't vomit, but I could have, and the flavor just brought me closer. However, that said, I do understand that this is a big thing in the midwest (they used to mix their own!), and A-B is not a stupid company - someone is buying this and likes it!!! But what can I do.... I can't even say it's to style. Well made, well yes, I guess. But I'm going to have to go completely hedonistic on this review. Sorry A-B, I can't do any better.

NeroFiddled, Apr 16, 2008

Appearance is very similar to the Bud version with pink ruby red grapefruit juice coming to mind extremely fizzy pink tinted head dwindles down to nothing leaves tomato juice residuals clinging to the glass but no lace to speak of here. Slight mineral can smell going on with salty citric acid ocean breeze and Campbell's tomato soup in your nares. Flavor wise this one doesn't taste as much like acid reflux as the Bud counterpart more salty tomato and citrus notes flooding the senses. Really clears out my sinuses for some out reason still no beer flavor coming through just like a seafood infused tomato cocktail or better yet to be fare it's like gazpacho minus the heavy spiciness or herbal cilantro qualities. Maybe it could use some vegetation because this is a really hard can to get down on your own split it up on a Sunday afternoon and make it a cocktail hour. If your going to abuse beer like this don't let AB mix it for you grab some tomato juice a little salt and call it a Red Eye. Why do we have to throw in the clam saltiness and citrus flow, because that equates to acid reflux in your mouth. Mouthfeel is kinda viscous hell it has almost 2 grams of protein in it, carbonation is fizzy but tomato puree' and clam juice make this one pretty hearty. Drinkability pretty horrible in my standards, I had to attempt the Bud Light version because it kept staring me from the fridge after my Budweiser and Clamato experience the other night. Not as terrible as that was I guess because I'm somewhat prepared now, but this is by all means a drain pour unless your trying to be a tough guy and finish it just to say you did. By the way, I'm not going to pour this one and as I continue to abuse my palate it adjusts to the Chelada flow and it actually becomes more tolerable with each sip.

WVbeergeek, Feb 25, 2008

A: The beer is a murky light red color, with almost no head or lacing.

S: The aroma is of tomatoes and not much of anything else that would make you think you're about to drink a beer.

T: All I could taste was the clamato, tomato & clam juice, which just overpowered what little beer-like qualities were contained in the Bud Light itself. In all seriousness, the flavors and strong acidity in this caused it to taste like I regurgitated and then swallowed.

M: Not smooth, medium but viscous body, light carbonation, sour finish.

D: I didn't find it tasty at all, I suppose if the clamato is your thing, you may like this beer, but I didn't like it at all and quite honestly found this to be the worst tasting beer I've ever had.

TheManiacalOne, Feb 05, 2008
3.23/5  rDev +81.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I think you first have to know what Clamato tastes like, and at least moderately enjoy the stuff. That's basically what this Bud Light Chelada tastes like, with, as the label notes, "el inigualable sabor de Clamato." Since I can't really taste whether there is beer in this or not, it's a vast improvement over plain Bud Light, which is generally agreed to taste like metallic club soda.

Salty and sweet, a nice tang of something like jalapenos, and you're on your way to rehydration. I don't believe anyone has mentioned that this would be the correct beer pairing with menudo.

It does make you cringe a little when you pour this into a tumbler (not one of my Belgian beer glasses, sorry). Salmon pink with a big head that crumbles into some strangely big bubbles, and then flatness. That's why musicman575 is correct in saying it is intended to drunk from the can. More spritz that way.

mactrail, Apr 07, 2013

orangesol, Nov 15, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -29.8%

Wow, was this bad! I thought that my C/S host might bring something new to my perception of this, but no. Ugh, was this brutal! The nose had a scent of of something dead under the pier. The color was an ugly reddish-pink like grapefruit juice. Mouthfeel was medium with a fishy, peppery taste. Oh my. Finish had a definite black pepper taste, underlain by by some nasty fishiness. Who thinks this is good?

woodychandler, Aug 02, 2009
1.1/5  rDev -38.2%

Thanks to hopdog for the opportunity...
Appears a hazy pink with a small white cap. Streaky lacing is left around the glass.
Smell...really gross of tomatoes, oregeno, clam juice. Blecchhh!
Taste - I really can't even describe the horror of this. Read the comments from smell.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, acidic, and the vomit lingering is either from this abomination, or the dry heaving actually coming back up in my mouth.
I know this is the rage out West by putting this kind of crap in your beer but this must be one of the all time worst marketing schemes I've ever heard of. I guess there must be a target market out there for this but I don't think I want to be associated with them.

weeare138, Mar 19, 2008
1.8/5  rDev +1.1%

A: Pours a cloudy pale pinkish orange in color (not dissimilar to pink grapefruit juice) with some light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a quarter finger tall fizzy pinkish white head that quickly fades to a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Strong aromas of celery salt which dominates over the lighter aromas of crushed tomatos and something briny (it could be the clam juice but the smell if not that distinct. There is not even a subtle hint of beer.

T: Moderate to strong flavors of watery tomatos, celery salt, salt/brine, and clam juice... Actually the celery salt is a little overwhelming.

M: Light bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation.

O: Found at a gas station during my commute for Thanksgiving visiting with family - glad I found it but this is not something I will be picking up again. The smell and the flavor of the beer are really completely lost in this one, it just seems to contribute the carbonation.

dbrauneis, Nov 16, 2012
2.17/5  rDev +21.9%

Picked up a 16 oz. can out of sheer perverse curiosity. Do I regret it? I don't think so. Do I regret not also buying the Budweiser Chelada to taste? Not at all.

It pours a hazy pink with the head of club soda (light and quickly disappearing). The appearance was pretty unappealing, though I guess the style is wide open, but it reminded me of fish guts and it was kind of bloody pink with bits of what I assume to be tomato floating around.

The aroma and flavor came off like a cold, salty version of condensed Campbell's Tomato Soup that's cut with light beer instead of milk or water. Frankly, I found it a bit too salty, even though one of my immediate urges what to add oyster crackers and make myself a grilled cheese sandwich.

The beer came off fairly thick and was by no means easy to drink. This was a definite drain pour for me, but I can see this being an acquired taste as none of the individual flavor were actually repulsive or anything. This beer simply is what it is and now I never have to try it again.

tempest, Mar 29, 2008

LXIXME, Mar 10, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -29.8%

Picked this up along with Budweiser Chelada and split with ShanePB. We had to see just how bad they could be.

A: As we consumed from the can, couldn't get a good look, but it looked to be light red/pink in color. Rather bubbly.

S: Peppery tomatoes, a bit of horseradish, and a little bit of grain. Smells rather briny/salty. Certainly did not make me look forward to taking a sip.

T: Overly salty with synthetic tasting tomato juice. Some pepper and horseradish give it some spice. There is also some onion as well. Tastes much worse than regular Bud Light.

M: Light bodied with medium to high carbonation. Very fizzy.

O: Terrible, it amazes me that this product is still produced. I can't imagine it sustains itself off the curiosity of BAs though. Someone has to be buying it and I would love to know who.

mdaschaf, Aug 04, 2011