Bud Light & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-26-2007)
View: Beers (79) |  Events

11-15-2011 01:26:41 | More by orangesol
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.33/5  rDev +90.3%

Bud Light & Clamato Chelada has a medium, pink head, which instantly fizzes away and an opaque red appearance, with golden splotches left on the side of the glass. The aroma is of tomato juice and a slight whiff of clam broth. Taste is of tomato juice, clam broth, lime flavor, and maybe some Bud Light. The body is medium to thick, and Bud Light Chelada finishes soupy, like a watery clam chowder. Overall, for what it is (an odd concoction), it’s pretty enjoyable. I recommend it for someone who would like to try something different.

RJT

11-13-2011 21:33:56 | More by RonaldTheriot
ehammond1

Can (2011)

Texas Liquor
Carlsbad, CA

Hazy light orange and pink--almost like the color of grapefruit flesh. There is absolutely zero head, no matter how forcefully I pour, and it leaves the glass clean, except for this sick looking, hazy film.

This is a vile aroma: old tomato, celery, and dirty pond water.

The flavor follows the nose: stale dishwater, salt, bitter vegetables (celery), and a bit of stinging, though disappearing spice.

Thin, though intensely carbonated (in the mouth, not at all in appearance), and a bit metallic.

Without a doubt, the worst beer I've put to my lips (yes, worse than 12+ year old 4.5% ABV Last Drop Bitter).

10-21-2011 01:33:54 | More by ehammond1
Vanlingleipa

Back in the 1970s, I laughed my way through a John Waters cinematic grossfest called Pink Flamingos. Then, I found it extra bonus fun to take a unsuspecting girlfriend to this flick and watch her get repulsed to the core, capped off by the infamous closing poodle scene.

Although I've long left those sort of cheap thrills behind, I get a similar pang of nostalgia from those days when someone spots the can or two of Bud Light Chelada that I usually keep in the fridge and recoils in horror.

Me, I listen to my taste buds, which tell me that there's nothing wrong with a fizzy, beer flavored Clamato (especially after shaking in a few drops of Tapatio hot sauce). It's like the girlfriend your parents hate, the husband's best friend that his wife can't stand, and best of all - the one beer in the fridge that nobody else will drink no matter what. And I like it.

BONUS CHELADA EXPERIENCE

Go to Tijuana during the Tequila Expo in October where they serve Chelada with a tart Tamarind/Sugar rim. Now that's a mariachi party in your mouth, hot Latina groupies included.

Recommended food pairing: streets taco or a bacon wrapped hot dog.

09-19-2011 09:15:39 | More by Vanlingleipa
SevaTse

New Hampshire

3.95/5  rDev +125.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Consumed from a pint glass, poured out of a tall can.

I enjoy clamato a whole lot more than I enjoy Bud Light, and thus this delivers the taste with a small amount of alcohol.

The color is cloudy redish, basically what you would expect if you poured Bloody Mary mix into a pint of cheap beer appearance wise.

09-16-2011 20:00:32 | More by SevaTse
ikantspel

wow. this is tortuous to write.

appearance is a mix between guava juice and regurgitated guave juice

smells like a dirty beach and ketchup

so hard to swallow. salt and clam taste hits hard.

it felt like someone hit me so hard my tastebuds felt it. im sure now that micheladas are a beers worst enemy.

09-08-2011 17:37:03 | More by ikantspel
tdm168

Pours a tangerine color with bubbly, soapy head that quickly disappears. Smells like Bud Light with a little tomato mixed in. Tastes like tomato juice mixed with water. Mouthfeel is light, sweet, and mildly carbonated.

WTF? How do they get away with selling this?! If you like V8 you'll like this, if not you're SOL.

08-26-2011 22:37:39 | More by tdm168
rsdaugherty

Colorado

1.27/5  rDev -27.4%

Can into pint glass
A – No head at all, yet appears highly carbonated. An opaque pink-red grapefruit juice color 1.5
S –Tomoto puree and grain scents, overall not an enjoyable scent 2
T – Watered down tomato juice, lots of salt, lime and that funky ocean/sea scent that you smell in the back bays/marinas around rotting marine life. Another sip honestly reminded me of vomit itself and/or the experience of throwing-up. 1.5
M – Over carbonated & watery 1.5
O – I can honestly say I have never done a drain-pour ever before this drink. I felt like I was drinking my own digestive juices/vomit with this beverage and was physically and mentally unable to continue consuming it. 1

08-08-2011 03:20:08 | More by rsdaugherty
mdaschaf

Washington

1.25/5  rDev -28.6%

Picked this up along with Budweiser Chelada and split with ShanePB. We had to see just how bad they could be.

A: As we consumed from the can, couldn't get a good look, but it looked to be light red/pink in color. Rather bubbly.

S: Peppery tomatoes, a bit of horseradish, and a little bit of grain. Smells rather briny/salty. Certainly did not make me look forward to taking a sip.

T: Overly salty with synthetic tasting tomato juice. Some pepper and horseradish give it some spice. There is also some onion as well. Tastes much worse than regular Bud Light.

M: Light bodied with medium to high carbonation. Very fizzy.

O: Terrible, it amazes me that this product is still produced. I can't imagine it sustains itself off the curiosity of BAs though. Someone has to be buying it and I would love to know who.

08-04-2011 18:47:37 | More by mdaschaf
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

24 oz can poured into a large mug.
10236 on the bottom of the can. "DO NOT SHAKE! Rotate gently to mix. With salt and lime, The perfect combination."

I highly doubt that.

A - Mixed in the can per instructions, this pours an insanely effervescent dirty tomato juice red. Floating in the abomination are chunks like mineral deposits. The head is nearly impossible to capture on camera as it disappears almost instantly, leaving behind a disgusting film covering the surface.

S - Rancid tomato soup and fabric band-aid give this beer a truly horrific aroma. I'll be totally honest that I'm actually pretty scared to try this.

T - I used to ate tomatoes. Recently I've become somewhat of a fan of them. Eating cherry tomatoes on, say, salad, startles loved ones into thinking somethings very wrong with me. Thanks to Chelada, I think I can never eat tomatoes again. Awful doesn't even begin to describe how wretched this tastes. Rotten tomato, salt, no lime to speak of, and to top it off...Bud Light. *Sigh

M - Avoiding taking another tiny sip to gauge the feel isn't very hard. But I press on... Insanely carbonated and effervescent, this makes Champagne feel flat. It's light-bodied and salty finishing.

O - Bud Light Chelada is by far the worst thing I've ever laid lips on. Terrifying beyond belief, nothing, not even this review, could possibly prepare someone for how quickly they'd want to run to the drain with this. If I go to hell when I die, this will surely be the only beverage available to me to quench a fire-and-brimstone-fueled thirst.

07-24-2011 16:24:42 | More by BeerFMAndy
ShanePB

1.45/5  rDev -17.1%

Matt aka mdaschaf and I came across both Bud Light and Budweiser Chelada at Discount Liquors in Rehoboth, DE sitting in the cooler. $1.75 each, I just absolutely had to try it for the curiosity of it. Consumed from the 16 ounce can.

A: Obviously, I couldn't get much of a visual on it, but from what I could see in the light and what remained around the lip of the can after each sip, it had a watery light red / pink body. Essentially, tomato juice watered down with some bubbles added for carbonation.

S: Tomato puree, pepper, slight horseradish, onion and some very light grains. In no way does this resemble anything of a beer but then again this "style" is supposed to be a blending anyway, so it is what it is. The Bud Light version smelled much less potent than the Budweiser, but both had essentially the same characteristics.

T: Rotten tomato paste, red chilis, red onions, celery, spinach and a hint of spicy horseradish in the end. I can't get anything in terms of Bud Light nor any beer for that matter in here. The additional items blended on top of the beer simply overpower this and leave no traces of beer behind. It's rather unfortunate because even a more pronounced Bud Light flavor, as crappy as it is on its own, would have helped give this a much needed cut in the flavor.

M: Fizzy, watery, light bodied. For using Bud Light, I guess this is pretty in line though I would have thought the adjuncts would have at least given this some type of body.

It was fun to actually try this beer after seeing it at the "bottom of the list" in terms of worst beers on BA. I mean, we each only took a few sips from each can and then pitched them, but from someone who's actually had an authentic michelada, this is a terrible disservice and insult to the traditional drink.

07-21-2011 20:19:19 | More by ShanePB
ZenAgnostic

3.55/5  rDev +102.9%

24oz can poured into a Budweiser pint glass.

Appearance - Chicos taco's sauce. Watery looking tomato juice. Opaque with visible particulate matter. No head. Weird looking, but proper for the style.

Smell - No smell. Vaguely like clamato. No offensive or off smells, just odorless.

Taste - Tastes more like clamato than beer. Has a nice bite. If you think of it as a Clamato while taking a sip, it's delicious. Tomato and sweetness with a slight undercurrent of bud light. Better than regular clamato. But if you think of it as a beer when taking a sip, it's kinda weird. Surprisingly enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - Clean with a crisp bite.

Overall Drinkability - Actually really enjoyed this. First time I had it I thought it was pretty gross, maybe because I was drinking it sort of warm from the can. Chilled in a glass is pretty worthy.

07-19-2011 23:21:54 | More by ZenAgnostic
marqoid

Arizona

1.1/5  rDev -37.1%

I opened this with high hopes for a easily accessible Michelada. I'm not sure what I was thinking as it is a Bud product.
It pours thin fizzy red hued with lots of foam but no head. It smells of rancid tomato juice, like juice that you had forgotten in the back of the fridge for a year. The taste, it makes me think that if I were drinking bud light while eating salsa and had a problem with backwashing into the bottle, this would be the last ounce.
Overall, I really believe that the Michelada is a viable beer cocktail that has its time and place, but this is not it and is simply a terrible example of it.

07-04-2011 13:59:40 | More by marqoid
scottfrie

1.6/5  rDev -8.6%

24oz tall can into Portsmouth snifter. I feel like I’m sullying my glass. Thankfully split five ways.

A: Pours a very like pink that actually looks like a really good lambic or something. The head was too short lived though, and I didn’t notice the color. Now the beer looks plain and flat.
S: Smells of sweet synthetic tomato juice, brine, and tomato soup. Kind of ketchupy and spicy.
T: I don’t know how people can drink this. I guess if you REALLY like tomato juice this would be passible as a beverage, but man is this gross. This tastes like ketchup mixed with water and acidic bile. The finish is salty.
M: Super light watery body with tingly carbonation. Mouthfeel is pretty rough. This did not go down well.
O: As someone who isn’t a fan of tomato juice, I hate this. As someone who can objectively review a beer based on style, I hate this. Buy this only if you’re obsessed with putting ketchup on your cereal.

06-25-2011 20:30:38 | More by scottfrie
mjyoung

1.48/5  rDev -15.4%

Drank 6/25/11. 24 oz can split 5 ways w/ bbb099, scottfrie, and others.

A: A slightly rosy, slightly rotten pink grapefruit color that is actually slightly reminiscent of a decent lambic.

S: This smells like the tomato soup I had for dinner two nights ago. To be honest it's not that unpleasant, but it is NOT what I want in a beer.

T: It's not the most disgusting thing, but the mouthfeel is so bad that I can't bring myself to drink any more.

M: Godawful. It's like a slightly carbonated can of V8 that is going bad. It's mildly syrupy with some thing that resembles carbonation. It made me pour the beer out.

O: If I could just look at this beer and smell it, I'd be ok. Having to taste this monstrosity destroyed any appeal it held.

06-25-2011 20:26:51 | More by mjyoung
htomsirveaux

1.02/5  rDev -41.7%

16 oz. can tried 25 Sep 2010. Served in the Sierra Nevada Celebration shaker pint (forgive me). Courtesy of KAV, remind me never to dare you to buy a beer again.

Opened and poured it, and then realized it seemed to have settled in the can. Mixed it a bit with a thumb over the opening to get the full effect. Unfortunately some spilled out on the ground in this process.

Head is kind of pinkish white, rapidly dissipating. Foamy pinkish rose in color, appears to have some small flecks in it but not sure of that. Aroma is all tomato and salt. Salty. Tomato. Clam in the background. Salty. Salty enough to almost induce a gag reflex, like getting smacked in the face with an unexpected ocean wave while you are breathing. Tomato salty clammy. Clammy tomato salty. Salty tomato clammy. How many permutations of those three words are there? Six I think. Imagine all of them written here.

This would make a good epicac. On the plus side, the Bud Light presence is completely swamped by the tomato clammy salty. Actually, more Bud Light presence would be welcomed. This might be better if you poured one can into a thirty pack of Bud Light.

Blargh. Five of us could not finish this can, even when I dared the other guys to man up.

06-12-2011 02:35:13 | More by htomsirveaux
GuruDel

1.43/5  rDev -18.3%

Uhhgg why do I do these things to myself....

A: a mirky reddish concoction that just screams pour me out.

S: Like someone squeezed a tomatoe into a budlight, oh wait....

T: I dont like tomatoe juice, so why in gods green earth am i doing this.

M: couldnt get it gone fast enough.

O: I will officially never buy this again unless it is as a joke for a friend whom I do not like.

04-07-2011 22:49:14 | More by GuruDel
mikesgroove

South Carolina

1.23/5  rDev -29.7%

from the lost notebook!

whatever made me drink this is beyond me at this point as there is simply nothing at all redeeming about it. in fact this may have been one of the worst drinking expierences of my life. the pour is an ugly murky pink color that really just belongs more in the juice catagory then any alcohol. the smell is putrid with tomotoes, pepper, just wrong, i cannot even begin to really get into it as the aroma alone was making me gag and if that was not enough i decided to try and take a sip, why would i ever do this to myself is beyond me. i barely was able to get one sip down as the flavor was so overwhelmingly bad. tomotoes, pepper, stale fruit, just wow.

i have no idea how they could even market this as a beer. really this should be deleted from the database.

02-23-2011 02:28:59 | More by mikesgroove
emerge077

2.7/5  rDev +54.3%

Micheladas and I are no strangers, but this is just a failure in a can. Weak, watery, and truly ugly.

Pours a light murky pink, with flecks of seasoning suspended in the glass. Looks like pond water. An angry sizzle of bubbles rise after the pour, and fizzle out immediately. A strange oily residue is left on the surface, that's just wrong.

Smells vaguely like tomato juice, but the blend with BL really cuts any clam/seafood/creative descriptor one might attempt to conjure up. A real michelada would smell like a bloody mary, and this falls short.

Taste is not awful, if you've ever blended a lager and V8 it's not far off. Tomato juice, Maggi seasoning, pepper, celery salt, faint artificial lime in the aftertaste. Dries out from the salt. No real hint of beer to be found, other than the bland watery body associated with Bud Light. Next to the Bud Chelada, this truly seems cut with water by comparison.

An acquired taste and an oddity to be sure, but so is Short's Bloody Beer, Mamma Mia Pizza Beer, etc. Not that far out, but using inferior ingredients in this case equals disaster. If you like bloody marys, mix your own instead with a decent Mexican lager like Bohemia, Dos Equis Amber, with Clamato, lime, and Cholula sauce.

01-21-2011 04:32:28 | More by emerge077
BuckyFresh

1.02/5  rDev -41.7%

"Enjoyed" at a tasting party with TCgoalie, TCHopCraver, and zoso1967. Thanks to zoso167 for bringing this one along. I can honestly say it was the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth.

Appearance: Looks like a cloudy grapefruit juice mixed with blended salmon carcass. The head dissipates after about 1.5 seconds, with no lacing or discernible carbonation visible. Also peculiar are the unappetizing chunks that cling to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Celery vomit and tomato are what come to mind when sniffing this one. Also, clammy bile. And salt.

Taste: Oh dear. Salty death and tuna fish water mixed with cold tomato soup. Maybe some champagne in there as well?

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel was bad enough that I don't want this near my mouth again. Sort of like a hydrochloric acid/stomach contents thing going on.

Drinkability: No.

01-05-2011 01:48:37 | More by BuckyFresh
TCgoalie

Review from 12/11/10. Not sure I should thank zoso1967 for this one, but it was worth a darn good laugh!

The appearance looks like cloudy red grapefruit juice with chunks of nastiness. This looks like watery, blood vomit.

This is the most repulsive smell of any beer. It churns my stomach just smelling this. I smell salt laden tomato juice with a scent of dead fish.

Oh man, the taste is tomato soup with rancid tuna fish. This is horrible. I gagged when I drank this salty nastiness.

I don't know about the mouthfeel, I couldn't keep it in my mouth long enough to judge the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I gagged, worthy of a 1...simple enough.

12-28-2010 04:58:00 | More by TCgoalie