Bud Light & Clamato Chelada | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Zorro on 06-26-2007

Reviews: 145 | Ratings: 384
2.75/5  rDev +59%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Chelada is a mexican style cocktail that is commonly found at gatherings and BBQs. Because of the fact that is is normally made in a large punch bowl and served to 50 or so people, it is made to satisfy not only taste, but also takes into account price and drinkability. No offfense to the previous reviewers who are comparing this to a pint of weissbier they had in Munich, but I beleive the ratings are a bit harsh.

The beer tastes exactly like what is in it... A bud light with some citrus, tomato, pepper, salt, and a light hint of seafood (comming from the clam juice). I guess you can say that it is an acquired taste for some.

The only thing that kills the A.B. version for me is the overcarbonation. If any of you have made the fatal mistake of pooring it into a cup before drinking it, it also looks like vommit.

Anyone can make a chelada 5x better by mixing it themselves. Use Corona as a base, then add lime juice, sea salt, cracked pepper, and clamato (ammount based on preferance).

3.8/5  rDev +119.7%

Up here in Canada, beer and clam is a favorite of many! Bud light Chelada is what it is... A crisp light beer mixed with clamato juice. It's not a fancy beer. It's not trying to be anything other than it is. It's a cold, crisp, salty and refreshing can of yum! I love these cheladas, especially on a hot day at the lake!

I was curious about this and picked a can up from the gas station. Got home and poured it into a pilsner glass. It looks like carbonated tomato juice. I took one gulp, swallowed, and immediately began retching and dry heaving. I kid you not, it tastes like you just vomited in your mouth and swallowed it back down. I ran straight to the bathroom thinking I was about to lose my lunch, and poured the rest down the toilet. This is the most vile concoction I've ever had in my life. Absolutely putrid. This is not just the worst beer I've ever tasted, it's the worst beverage I've ever tasted. For the life of me I can't figure out how anyone could enjoy this. But considering the fact that this has been on the market for five years, someone out there does.

3.24/5  rDev +87.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I think you first have to know what Clamato tastes like, and at least moderately enjoy the stuff. That's basically what this Bud Light Chelada tastes like, with, as the label notes, "el inigualable sabor de Clamato." Since I can't really taste whether there is beer in this or not, it's a vast improvement over plain Bud Light, which is generally agreed to taste like metallic club soda.

Salty and sweet, a nice tang of something like jalapenos, and you're on your way to rehydration. I don't believe anyone has mentioned that this would be the correct beer pairing with menudo.

It does make you cringe a little when you pour this into a tumbler (not one of my Belgian beer glasses, sorry). Salmon pink with a big head that crumbles into some strangely big bubbles, and then flatness. That's why musicman575 is correct in saying it is intended to drunk from the can. More spritz that way.

1.03/5  rDev -40.5%

I for one can't imagine why this product would have ever been made. The only reason i can think of is that the high ups at Budweiser were piss drunk in the Caribbean some where and spilled there clams on the half shell into their beer and were so drunk they thought it tasted good. And in a black out stooper created this beer and marketed it before they sobered up. Shame on you Budweiser, shame on you. The beer is slightly pink with a horrendous smell think (the bottom of your tackle box in mid July) it tastes even worse; how that's possible
I don't know. I can only think it's taste comes form all the chemicals involved in keeping clam juice from spoiling. My overall opinion of this product is it's straight crap.

2.18/5  rDev +26%

Poured from 16oz pounder into a pint glass. I just tried the regular-Bud version of Chelada a few minutes ago, so we'll see if the Bud Light version is any different at all.

Appearance: hazy salmon pink, again, with a little fizzy foam that dissipates instantly. Not intriguing.

Smell: lightly sweet bloody mary mix, just like its big brother, except here there's a hint of that artificial plastic-like aroma which pervades plain ol' Bud Light. Not good at all.

Taste: kind of like the regular chelada, but lighter, more artificial and slightly less appetizing. Still, if what you are looking for is cheap beer mixed with tomato, then this will pretty much deliver.

Mouthfeel: light, lightly carbonated, bland but not completely insipid.

Overall: it's hard to wax poetic about a brew like this. Do I like it? No. Is there something here for some people? Sure. But, I will say, if you're going to go the chelada route -- do the regular Bud, not the Bud Light version.

3.34/5  rDev +93.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 4

I really like a red beer and this one is no exception. The color is not the best as it's sort of a pinkish color and not a lot of head. It's a little spicy and goes down really smooth and the aftertaste is really nice. Has a hint of lime and it's slightly salty. I think it's pretty decent red beer, but not something I'd drink all night long but is a good starter for the evening.

2.37/5  rDev +37%

Oooh this is weird. It's poured into a meaningless glass because this beer was purchased as a joke. I might not finish it.

It foams up quite a bit when pouring into the glass, and after the head settles there is a fine lacing of tomato particles. It is a cloudy pinkish red reminiscent of water that was just rung out of a rag that was used to wipe up kool-aid from a dirty floor.

The smell is perhaps the best representation of what "awkward" smells like. It smells like rubber balloons, fruit punch, cantaloupe, and sweaty men. It wants to smell good, but it just doesn't quite do it.

The taste is pretty unique, I didn't think a flavor like this would have ever existed on purpose, but Bud decided it needed to happen. It is mildly spicy, a little sweet, very slightly salty, and nothing like beer. It tastes like some children dumped a bunch of tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, and cheap champagne into a glass. There are good flavors in here but they got into a fight with each other in the can and the result is unpleasant. I like the sweetness and the tangyness, and I kind of like the spicyness, just not together.

It is tingly, warmly spicy, and pretty light in the mouth. Swish it a bit and the bubbles and spicy character put on a decent show. The mouthfeel is certainly the crowning achievement of this beverage, worthy of a dollar store participation medal.

Overall, this isn't a beer. This is bad and my roommate hated it. I think I'll be able to finish this 24 ounce can, but I'm not sure yet. You know those awkward Christmas presents that you get from your grandparents sometimes? Well this is that, but in a "beer."

4.2/5  rDev +142.8%

Ok, so first off when you purchase a beer like 'bud light chelada' I don't think it's the best intention to pour it into a snifter glass and give it a full review like a 'pliny the elder' would.

This is a drink primarily for when you're hungover; or have run out of beer for the night and you find it in the recess of your fridge.

I can't tell you what it looks like, I've only consumed straight from the can. It smells decent, and tastes pretty damn good, in my opinion.

I find it laughable when I read review of people critiquing this and pouring it into various glasses and expecting something great. It's bud light and clamato. Come on.

Overall I've enjoyed my fair share of Chelada and this will always have a place in my heart...

1.78/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Pours a cloudy pale pinkish orange in color (not dissimilar to pink grapefruit juice) with some light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a quarter finger tall fizzy pinkish white head that quickly fades to a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Strong aromas of celery salt which dominates over the lighter aromas of crushed tomatoes and something briny (it could be the clam juice but the smell if not that distinct). There is not even a subtle hint of beer.

T: Moderate to strong flavors of watery tomatoes, celery salt, salt/brine, and clam juice... Actually the celery salt is a little overwhelming.

M: Light bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation.

O: Found at a gas station during my commute for Thanksgiving visiting with family - glad I found it but this is not something I will be picking up again. The smell and the flavor of the beer are really completely lost in this one, it just seems to contribute the carbonation.

1.12/5  rDev -35.3%

I have been a stead drinker of beer for 15yrs of my life. Budweiser products have always been ny favorite. But I now have to thank Budweiser for making the Most God Awful Beer I have ever tasted!! Please take this product off the market A.S.A.P. Budweiser should also consider one type of refund plan for unsatisfied customers.

1.11/5  rDev -35.8%

its funny i should follow one of the best beers of the year (odell's meddler) with this thing. i usually save my reviews for craft products, but this flavor is now burned into my taste buds and mind forever, and i need to get on the web and try to save some folks from enduring the same burden. this is one of the worst beers of all time. is it even a beer? thatd be a generous classification. it pours a pinkish red color, more like tomato juice than beer, with some pulp and no head at all. the nose is a gag reflex trigger, salty, fishy, composty. ugh! the taste is even worse, and if you could score it a zero, i would have. its all the rankness of a budlight worsened further by a horrific salty seafoody juice that has no place in the beverage or culinary universe. all i can taste is salt and that adjunct malt crap. this is one of the worst tasting things ive ever put in my mouth, and ive eaten batteries, dog food, and unhealthy women, just to name a few. please please please stay away from this. there is no carbonation, its thick and wont wash down. there is nothing redeeming about it, and it gave me a new way to hate budlight, not that i needed one. brutal liquid here.

3.8/5  rDev +119.7%

I'm reviewing this product purely for what it is, not as compared to any other beer.

I love a good tomato juice (particularly homemade stuff by people who know what they're doing, like my mom used to, and another woman from my hometown who made rich, spicy tomato juice specifically for mixing with beer) and though this stuff doesn't really compare to good homemade tomato juice mixed with a better beer, for the convenience, and for what it is, I have to say I love the stuff.

One or two of these after work really hit the spot for me. With it's lower alcohol content (4.2%) it doesn't hit hard, and the tomato/Clamato flavor along with the seasonings is almost food-like in a way. A little heavy on the salt, but overall, and again, knowing what this stuff is (Bud Light's macro version of something that can be better with a little TLC) it's not bad at all, IMO.

Rated purely for what it is, I give it a 4.0. Up against good beers of all types and styles, maybe a 1.5.

1.37/5  rDev -20.8%

WOW!!!! Got this can against warnings from friends and others. Had to laugh that on the side of the can, it read that Bud Light Chelada is the "official cerveza" of Team Mexico in the 2012 London Olympics! Bwahaha!!! Well before I give my review of this beer, I am a very big Bloody Mary Afficianado, so this style would typically be up my alley minus the Bud Light, but I am giving this a fair try.

GOD AWFUL! appearance of watered down V8, nose had something to say with tomato juice and lime (very little tho), taste was horrendous, like an overseasoned bloody mary but the bartender tried covering it up with a bad beer. No taste of the clamato at all, just bad beer & salty tomato juice combined, no joke. The mouthfeel was the worst part, it was like carbonated tomato beer that teases your gag reflex. 22 oz. was way too much as well, poured out 18 oz. I'm very surprised Mexico would support this horrendous mudpie of a refreshment. Utter PUKE!!!! DO NOT TRY!!!

1.4/5  rDev -19.1%

From the label:
"Bud light and clamato. With salt and lime. The perfect combination."

Poured into a maudite tulip.

A: I might have heard a demon escape as I popped the tab.. Color, somewhere between ruby grapefruit, and skanky salmon. A full white head on top that slowly settles back into the body of the beer, lightning quick.

S: The first scent that comes throught is bud light, although that is quickly trampled by canned tomato, celery salt, and possibly some garlic or chili powder. It smells like early stages of cooking chili with way too much bad beer in it.

T: Imagine the flavor combination of cold leftover chili, and bad bloody mary mix. For being so thin and watery, it certainly packs a punch of flavor, not very good flavor mind you, but flavor none the less.

M: Watery.. very watery. The carbonation is fine in size, and does nothing to help out this disaster of a beverage. The carbonation acts like small burst of napalm spreading terrible all over your tongue.

O: Overall I think this might have some sort of culinary application, but I am not going to try it out, seeing as how I would have to taste it again to find out. Although I will hand it to BudLight, they were generous enough to provide 24 ounces of this beer even though all you really ever need is 1 ounce.

2.89/5  rDev +67.1%

24oz can
Served in a conical pint glass

A - It pours a reddish orange. The pinkish head is gone before I can really distinguish the color.

S - It smells like tomato juice.

T - It tastes like carbonated tomato juice.

M - Moderate

O - I started feeling a little hung over today and thought a bloody beer might help. I prefer to add hot sauce to this beer. Maybe I should mix this with my Ghost Scorpion?

3.35/5  rDev +93.6%

OK first, I think this beer or mixed beer is a bit underrated. Maybe because I remember my dad using beer and clamato juice the day after putting on a good one. My opinion is that this is an OK beer on a hot day or (morning after) if you want something that's got some salt to help keep you hydrated, decent flavor if you like tomato juice, and its pretty easy on the taste buds. IMHO, you can't judge this beer for anything but what it is. A tomato based brew meant for a certain occasion. But, thats my opinion. Anyway, I give it an average rating. Its a specialty beer to me.

1.03/5  rDev -40.5%

Appearance: Pinkish orange with little carbonation.

Smell: Raunchy tomato soup

Taste: By far the most putrid substance that has ever graced my lips. Rotten tomatos and salt are the first thing that come to mind. The bud light is almost non existent in this drink, normally that would be good, but I almost wished it resembled it more.

Mouthfeel: Thin, yet heavy at the same time... if that makes sense.

Overall, I'd rather not drink than pick this up again.

1.21/5  rDev -30.1%

16 oz can bought for...well to trick some friends of mine.

A - An odd pinkish peach colored body. Some foamy bubbles but no head to really speak of.

S - Smells like salsa with a twang of corny sweetness on the finish. Vile clam and tomato juice.

T - The initial taste isn't too terrible. Tomato juice with some clammy and salty notes. The aftertaste is just miserable though. Salty and skunky. Bleh...mouth feel is carbonated and sort of light.

O - This is just gross. One for the worst things I've ever tasted. The aroma just seems rotten and the aftertaste is off putting and lasting. Avoid, avoid, avoid, AVOID!!!!

3.26/5  rDev +88.4%

So, my friend Danielle and I came up with a way to enjoy the Bud Light Chelada in a more recreational, college crazy way. A pint glass half filled w the lovely pink Chelada, serves as the receiving half of what we call the 'Mater Bomb'. This title is attributed to our former colleague Shannon who witnessed our crazy brainstorming session. A shot of vodka with lime juice is dropped into the Chelada and consumed in an animalistic nature. The Spanish speaking cousin to the 'Mater Bomb' is''El Mater Bomb''. You guessed it, replace the vodka with tequila and you have yourself 'El Mater Bomb' Give it a try, but drink responsibly.

3.91/5  rDev +126%

It appears to be something akin to watery tomato juice. Not necessarily appetizing at all. It smells much better than it looks. Dried chili pepper, lime, tomato, and lager aromas. The mouthfeel is wet with a nice carbonation/spice on the back of the throat. A very pleasing gardeny and lime flavor that is the only thing that can hit that spot. A good bloody Mary, maybe, but it wouldn't be nearly as thirst quenching. I love it! I've always loved it. I'm as happy as a clam(ato) that I found a local retailer who sells it in sixers.

1.14/5  rDev -34.1%

Bought this one for the soul purpose of punishing myself and my palate. Served from can into a Stone 15th Anniversary snifter. Poured grapefruit red with a half finger pure white head that subsided to an almost non-existent amount instantly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, tomato juice, salt, and broken dreams. The flavor was of sweet malt, salt, tomato juice, hot sauce, lime, and seared palate. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was just plain bad... Why would anyone ever make something like this? And on top of that, put it in a 24 oz format!? Apparently there is SOMEONE buying this enough to keep it on the shelves at gas stations around here. I'm not even sure if Chuck Norris could down a full can of this on a good day. The can tells me 'Bud Light beer with natural flavor and certified color'. What the Hell is certified color supposed to mean!? I think I'm going to have to drink battery acid and start over from scratch on my palate. On another note, when this was drain poured it actually stained the sink... Not sure how I feel about this. Highly recommended!

1.37/5  rDev -20.8%

big 24oz can slightly warmer than fridge temp poured into a bulb style glass. no freshness info.

pours out a reddish, pink, grapefruit color. the pinkish white head fizzles away in seconds. lots of tiny slimey, pulpy chunks both in the beer and clinging to the glass, tomatoe juice? when it sits still for a bit it seperates into layers. by far the worst looking beer ive ever seen, it just looks so unappealing.

rotten tomatoe juice, some salt, maybe even some briney clam juice. the bud light base is pretty much undetectable.

yuck...pretty much all clamato, and very little beer flavor. tomatoe juice is the most noticable, salty with just a hint of lime. briney. slightly more budlight noticable than in the aroma.

light bodied, salty, briney feel in the worst way possible. carbonation is slightly prickly.

so unbearably undrinkable. i had to force myself even to take the smallest sip. thank god this review is over so i can pour it down the drain. repulsive...

1.33/5  rDev -23.1%

A: Pours a murky grapefruit juice like color with about 2 fingers of head that fade incredibly quickly. There is no foam on the beer after it settles and no lacing at all.

S: Uggh. This beer smells terrible. It smells of tomato, salt, and pepper.

T: This beer is quite strange. It tastes of mild tomato, lime, salt, and pepper. It also has a bit of a tart finish.

M: Light bodied beer. It's slimey, and there is a bit of an effervescent carbonation in the finish.

O: It's bad. It's no as bad as I was expecting, but it's really gross. The rest of the can is headed down the drain.

1.2/5  rDev -30.6%

I think I nearly broke the BA database with when I gave Budweiser Chelada a totally decent review (rDev +42.3%). But, seriously, it was pretty good. The clamato was thick and rich, tasted like nutrients and vitamins and shit, and the Bud actually did a nice job of complimenting the juice, fizzing everything up.

This--this was something completely different. They use, like, a severely watered down version of the Clamato, one that tastes like if you mixed saltwater and red food coloring and then added a squirt of ketchup into the vat. Add to that a splash of Bud Light and you get the gist of what this concoction is like.

So, huh. That's all I can say: huh. This fella's big brother was inexplicably much, much better than I had anticipated. That made me, stupid sheep that I am, open my mind wide enough to allow myself to try this, and it is exactly as bad as you would imagine it to be.

Bud Light & Clamato Chelada from Anheuser-Busch