Bud Light & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-26-2007)
1.1/5  rDev -38.2%

Alright, this is probably in the top five worst things I have ever tasted in the entirety of my life.
Pours a grapefruit red color with a fizzy head and zero lacing.
Smells of clams, tomatoes, and alcohol.
Tastes of tomatoes, salt, clam juice, salt, light corny beer, salt, salt, and well you guessed it more salt.
Mouthfeel was fizzy and thin like a bad soda with a vendetta.
Less drinkable that a cup full of horse piss and vodka.

TheKingofWichita, Oct 07, 2010

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

The revenge of the Chelada comes in as the baker's dozenth entry in Swill Tour 2010. It pours a cloudy ruby red grapefruit/blood orange topped by a strange wisp of a head. The nose is more painful than the non-light version, as though the clams had gone south, bringing some bad Zoidberg urine with it to bleach in the sun. The taste is saltier than before, blood-stained salt water mixed with bad taco seasoning. Mike: "Everything was just kind of bad before the Chelada. ... I don't care if a giant piece of poo drops in my glass: it's better than the Chelada." These feelings were shared by everyone else as well. The body is sickeningly medium, with a very light carbonation and a slimy feel, like a clam walking its way over my tongue. Possibly the worst thing ever made by a brewer. Bar none.

TMoney2591, Sep 27, 2010
1.02/5  rDev -42.7%

Served in a pint glass

This is beer #14 in Swill Fest 2010

After the travesty that was Bud Chelada this scares me more than anything. I hate TMoney2591 for getting both.

The appearance is the horrid pink which I fear, but understand that this is exactly what it claims to be. The smell is the horrid tomato and clam juice...which I fear. As a side note someone on planet earth thought Clamato Juice was a good idea. Then someone said "Hey let's mix it with Bud Light". Those individuals should be tried for crimes against humanity! The taste is vomit inducing in nature and I hate my life. Everything else is unfortunate, and I care not to comment upon them! I'm done with this. NEVER DRINK THIS! I feel sorry for my drain for having to take the brunt of this.

Vdubb86, Sep 27, 2010
1.2/5  rDev -32.6%

A- I drank it from a glass, however, when I got the chance to pour the second half of the can down the drain I noticed it looked like Clamato juice.

S- From what I could smell it smelled like bud light and aluminum, but I think it was just the can. In other words there wasn't much to smell.

T- The first few sips wernt that bad. It was like what you would expect from a red beer, however, they were a little heavy in the red part, and I'm not that big of fan of clamato juice. But after the first few sips it was horrible. I poured it down the drain.

M- A fizzy tomato juice feel.

D- I don't think so.

If you like Bloody Mary's you might like this.

harpus, Aug 31, 2010
2.88/5  rDev +61.8%

I love Clamato so I suppose I'm biased. I'm a bit surprised this is even a 'beer', it's more a mixed drink and not terribly bad at that.

Appearance: Pink with a few chunks of clamato.

Smell: Clamato lite.

Taste: Carbonated Clamato lite.

Mouthfeel: Bubby and light.

Drinkability: Acceptable, definitely not a craft micro, but hey it tastes as labeled. I hesitate to call it beer. I had a couple of pints in the 90'degree weather on the dock.

JackieTH, Aug 30, 2010
2.73/5  rDev +53.4%

Hey this stuff is what it is. I actually like Tomato juice and to me the clam just added saltiness to it all. Pours an awful pink color that reminded me of vomit but with carbonation and without chunks. Smelled like salty tomato juice to me, no beer aroma at all in my opinion. Tasted much of the same but with a bit more to it. Got lot's of tomato juice, celery salt, and some spicy flavors from tabasco. A bit of cheap beer to go with it all and water it down. Felt like it had a much nicer body than a Bud light so that was not bad with me, still a bit overcarbonated though. Even though I kind of liked this, I only had about 1/3 of a can. Could drink more but would not bother. Mostly a novelty for me. I am glad that i tried it and would still have another one before grabbing most other BMC products.

thepeter, Aug 16, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +113.5%

At first I thought this was a bad idea but after giving a chance and being opened minded about it I got to say it was not that bad. I love clamato and I do like bud light and both together they did a ok job. After the second one you start to get used to the taste and how smooth it really is. The smell is not great but in my opinion the taste makes up for it. Just give it a chance and try to be opened minded.

dopehousex3, Jul 31, 2010
2.98/5  rDev +67.4%

I understand why this beer is so poorly reviewed, but in order to give it a fair shot you have to have tried what it's trying to recreate--a michelada. Yes, the color is a little gross (pinkish) and the smell might turn you off (a slight tomato scent that mingles with the beer) if you haven't had michelada before, but really, this is a pretty good imitation of that drink. Order a couple of micheladas next time you're at a Mexican restaurant and then try this sucker out. As you will notice it is not that bad. If you don't know, a michelada is a cocktail made out of a Mexican or Latin American beer, tomato juice (Clamato), lime, Worcester sauce, and salt. Really, what makes this beer not that great is the fact that it is made with Budweiser and not a Mexican or Latin American beer like Corona or Pacifico.

Overall I do not recommend this beer unless you're a big fan of micheladas. Otherwise I'd suggest shelling out the additional cash to but the real deal.

ElCerverzero, Apr 22, 2010
3.08/5  rDev +73%

Poured into my Zatec Glass. An interesting grapefruit color. Pink. A bit of head. Smells like bud light, clam, tomato, lime, citrus. Tastes like above. I don't know why people hate this beer. It is as described. Tastes like beer, clamato and lime. What's the deal? That's what it tastes like. For style it's completely fine. Open up your minds people.

WestValleyIPA, Apr 12, 2010

Looks like thin, watery, tomato juice with a thin, fizzy head. This is just plain odd. Smells like low grade watery tomato juice mixed with clam juice. The taste is the same, although to claim that this "beer" has any beer taste at all is an insult to beer. Can the version of this with Bud, as opposed to Bud Light, be as bad as this? I am curious enough that I may want to find out. As far as the mouth feel and drinkability go, why bother? This is just bad.

Reviewed from notes.

hardy008, Apr 10, 2010

From a 750ml vessel into a tulip, Bud Light Chelada pours an opaque gore-like color. A light pink head rises to a finger's height and then immediately dissipates to nothing. I guess clam isn't good for head retention. Aromatically, tomatoes, celery, salt, stomach bile, lime and clam are quite prominent along with a hint of excrement. Upon taking my first sip, my palate is greeted by the familiar taste of gastric acid secretion, salt, Worcestershire sauce, lime, blood, fresh water clam juice, beefsteak tomatoes and fine aged celery. The mouthfeel is light and savory, the finish drying and salty with a peppery bite. This beer is a little rough right now, but I think it may mellow out with extended aging. Worth a try.

largadeer, Mar 25, 2010

Chilled can into a glass. I actually attempted to hide this from largadeer, who brought this to our tasting thinking it would be amusing. You know what's more amusing, Chris? Cornholing you with the f***ing can. But anyway, he started to cry, so I gave it back to him, and he proceeded to open it and make me drink it.

A: Pours a blood-vomit color, to steal a phrase. Murky light rose color with a short-lived off-white head. It looks like a lambic, but knowing what is to come, I can't give it a lambic pass.

S: It smells like vomit, quite literally. Salt and bile.

T: Similar to vomit, which I have experienced a few times after drinking too much.

D: Just truly vile. I poured myself a small sample and drain-poured it, then poured myself another sample at largadeer's insistence, and drain-poured that, too. I drainpoured this twice in the same evening. It's awful. Chris is genuinely an a-hole for bringing this.

Arbitrator, Mar 25, 2010

Tallboy can from Chavez Supermarket. Bought this out of morbid curiosity, and it was everything I thought it would be.

Pours a hazy pinkish color with a rapidly disintegrating white head. Makes a sound as it fades, almost like pop rocks. Leaves some really weird residue on the glass.

Aroma is awful. Tomato, salt, lime, and clam. Yes, the clam is noticeable.

Flavor starts off not terrible, with tomato, lime, salt and crappy adjunct lager. Then the aftertaste hits you like a mack truck in the face. What is it? I really can't tell you. All I know is that it's plasticky and disgusting. Maybe rotting cellophane soaked in clam juice?

Light and boring on the palate with salty dryness.

This is sickening and very hard to drink. I didn't think this could be worse than the Indian Wells beers I recently had, but it was. This beer fails so badly in so many ways that it's utterly mind-blowing. Yes, I have had a real chelada, and this is infinitely worse than that was. This is the epitome of a perfect low score. Congrats, Anheuser-Busch, you did it!

nickd717, Feb 21, 2010
1.3/5  rDev -27%

I saw this tall, slender, 24oz aluminum can in the refridgerated beer section at Sal's World of Liquor in Addison, IL for $2.69 a can. I wasn't even sure if this qualified as a beer as far as BA is concerned, but here it is, listed as one of the Anhauser-Bush beer products available for us to review, so here is what I think of it.

It poured out a dark, cloudy shade of pink - like lemonade. I was expecting a thick, dark red tomato juice color, but it wasn't like that at all. It was pink, with no head or lacing, but it did have some carbonation going on in it. It was also a lot thinner looking than I expected - more like lemonade than a thick tomato juice.

It smelled more like the Clamato Juice product it is blended with than any beer product I have tried, but it wasn't a bad smell - just Clamato Juice and some hot spice like Tabasco sauce.

If you like a spicy Bloody Mary drink, then you might like this. All it is is a Bloody Mary made with Bud Light instead of vodka. Since I don't like Bloody Marys at all, I didn't like this either. For me it was awfull, but the two friends of mine who were sharing this with me liked it a lot, and the one Mexican friend said they drink this all the time in Mexico, so to each his own I guess. The beer taste is there but make no mistake, the Clamato Juice and hot sauce dominate this drink.

The mouthfeek is thin, spicy hot, and very carbonated, which really helps accent the spiciness. It also has a hot, spicy aftertaste.

I couldn't finish more than a couple sips of this stuff. It was drainpour to me, but then if you are a fan of Bloody Marys then go ahead and give it a try. To me it was a waste of beer.

matjack85, Dec 29, 2009
1.85/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Light pink color with watered down looking tomato soup. No head at all with a few tomato particles floating at the bottom of the glass.

S: Salty tomato soup. Really just foul smelling. Nothing appealing about it at all.

T: Salty watered down tomato soup with seltzer. That is this beer in a sentence.

M: Very light. Nothing to it really.

D: A did about 4 ozs and that is too much. Finally tried this and it is awful for sure. A must try though.

aerozeppl, Dec 20, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +87.1%

First of all, if you don't like Clamato (tomato juice, salt, clam juice, and other flavorings), you won't like this (dare I say) unholy mixture. But if you do (and I do), you may like this.

The color is not very appetizing (drink it straight from the can and you won't notice). The smell, to me, is the worst part: smells a bit like something spoiled. But the taste, I actually like. It's like carbonated, watered down Clamato, with some hot sauce and a bit of alcohol (I wouldn't say beer---just the sense of alcohol. Not too strong, but it's there.) It helps if you're hungry---it has a savory taste.

I admit it's a bit tough to finish a 24-oz can, and don't let it get too warm on you, but this is definitely something I like once in a while. I certainly find it more interesting than Bud Light on its own.

branko7, Nov 24, 2009

I admit, I tried this on a dare. Didn't know what it was, but the brown bag should've given it away! The colour was a rather funky orange. The aroma was....well... clams and tomatoes. On the palate... my thoughts were, "What have I done?!! Is this a penance for past sins?!!" The taste seemed like my flatulence might taste after really bad Manhattan-style clam chowder. Oof!

slaintemhor, Nov 17, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +87.1%

Has the requisite "bloody beer" look. I've been drinking a variant of this for years with Rolling Rock. I'm not quite seeing everyone's need to pan the stuff...you know what you're getting. I mean it's adjunct lager beer and Clamato. I like it. Refreshing during and after outdoor summer activity. Pour in the Tabasco for a pick-me-up on those mornings you may have been over served the night before. Granted, I like my personal mixture (Rolling Rock/Clamato Bloody Mary mix) better, but this is serviceable.

alkemy, Sep 22, 2009
1.48/5  rDev -16.9%

24oz can poured into a giant snifter

It looks disgusting. It's pink and fizzy. Smells like tomatoes and grapefruit with a little clam.

Taste is sweet and heavily salted.

Mouthfeel isn't horrible, but it's not good -- if it's possible to feel salt in a solution, that's what it feels like.

Not drinkable. I could barely finish half the can. Thankfully someone else was drinking the other half. He was the one who brought it. He deserved it.

snaotheus, Sep 08, 2009
2.58/5  rDev +44.9%

Is your life just that gentrified that this would be considered a reach for you? Thoroughly reading up on the latest reviews to make sure you're well prepared, the "beer" has already lost half its charm.

"Graciously" shared during prime time Saturday night at BCTC09. Pours nice & maroon-ish pink into my baby Duvel glass. A little spotty with sediment; no head.

Smell is just some casual salt, celery, canned tomato paste, & just a tad fishy. Fine enough. You know what you're getting into.

Taste was actually quite short on tomato. Acidic onion & celery, paired less then pleasantly with stale Old Bay seasoning & fish sauce. Barely bitter, the faint grain that you can actually detect from the beer is probably it's worst aspect. An off gazpacho of sorts. Really not all that bad though.

Feel is really slick & greasy, though there is some carbonation. Almost like getting served slimy, obviously old seafood.

It wasn't the worst thing ever. People exaggerate too much.

PEBKAC, Aug 11, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -29.8%

Wow, was this bad! I thought that my C/S host might bring something new to my perception of this, but no. Ugh, was this brutal! The nose had a scent of of something dead under the pier. The color was an ugly reddish-pink like grapefruit juice. Mouthfeel was medium with a fishy, peppery taste. Oh my. Finish had a definite black pepper taste, underlain by by some nasty fishiness. Who thinks this is good?

woodychandler, Aug 02, 2009

I drank this on a bet. I knew the regular strength version was awful, but didn't think that the light version could be any worse. I could not have been more wrong. An awful brew cannot be improved by watering it down. Consequently, the aroma, taste, mouthfeel and drinkability are as bad as they can be. Worse than even the worse plain old light beer.

utah44, Jul 10, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +152.8%

This isn't beer, it's just a strange mildly alcoholic beverage. Like a fizzy Bloody Mary. I enjoy it, but easily see why others find it disgusting. If you're looking for a beer taste it isn't in there. It's sweet, salty, and spicy. I saw this stuff in a lot of c-stores for a long time and always thought it would be disgusting, but now I'm hooked.

I was watching a 10+ year old Seinfeld episode a few weeks ago where Kramer got into cock-fighting with his rooster named Little Jerry. In the final few scenes at the Mexican cock-fight there's a BudLight Chelada banner hanging in the background. The banner probably pre-dated the release of Chelada in the states, but Mexicans have drank this stuff for a long time.

PheerNoBeer, Jun 24, 2009

If you are looking for a beer, don't drink this. Sure, you may be attracted to the odd combination of clam juice, tomato, and beer, wait, that doesn't sound good at all. The sole use for this beverage is to give to your friends when they first wake up from a hangover. Watch as they take one sip and then erupt like a volcano!

2KHokie, May 09, 2009
1.15/5  rDev -35.4%

Per someone's suggestion, I've decided to review this, though there was no way I was going to let it be #1000. First, I must give a bit of background information on why I want to try this. Ever since I was a kid, I've hated tomato juice. Just the very smell of it made me sick. My parents would groan in disappointment whenever I refused a glass of it for each holiday dinner. I also remember my neighbors and how they liked to drink their Carling Black Label. They'd toss salt in it to kill the head. Mix in Bud Light, tomato juice and salt and you have one unholy combination.

This elixir pours a light reddish-blond color with absolutely no head into my glass. Just by looking at it, I can tell that I'm not going to enjoy this.

The aroma is full of tomato sauce and salt with only a hint of actual beer underneath. Actually, it barely passes for beer but I'll go into that with another review. Already, I'm dreading the taste.

The taste is full of salt upfront and tomato kicks in afterward. Strong tomato taste here that along with the salt, bludgeons any of the "beer flavor" that might exist. It's like pouring a cheap lager into a glass of V8 and rimming it with salt.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering tomato and salt, which seem to bludgeon my taste buds mercilessly. Thankfully, it's not as thick as the Bud Chelada so the mouthfeel is a bit more tolerable.

In conclusion, this cannot be called beer, unless you wish to be mocked by those that enjoy actual beer. I seriously wonder what the marketing people at A-B were thinking when they dreamed this up. I would like to have some of what they were smoking at the time. After all, you'd have to really hate beer to want to dump salt and tomato juice in it.

In other words, I try beer like this so you don't have to.

Brad007, May 08, 2009