Bud Light & Clamato Chelada - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 06-26-2007)
matjack85

1.3/5  rDev -25.7%

I saw this tall, slender, 24oz aluminum can in the refridgerated beer section at Sal's World of Liquor in Addison, IL for $2.69 a can. I wasn't even sure if this qualified as a beer as far as BA is concerned, but here it is, listed as one of the Anhauser-Bush beer products available for us to review, so here is what I think of it.

It poured out a dark, cloudy shade of pink - like lemonade. I was expecting a thick, dark red tomato juice color, but it wasn't like that at all. It was pink, with no head or lacing, but it did have some carbonation going on in it. It was also a lot thinner looking than I expected - more like lemonade than a thick tomato juice.

It smelled more like the Clamato Juice product it is blended with than any beer product I have tried, but it wasn't a bad smell - just Clamato Juice and some hot spice like Tabasco sauce.

If you like a spicy Bloody Mary drink, then you might like this. All it is is a Bloody Mary made with Bud Light instead of vodka. Since I don't like Bloody Marys at all, I didn't like this either. For me it was awfull, but the two friends of mine who were sharing this with me liked it a lot, and the one Mexican friend said they drink this all the time in Mexico, so to each his own I guess. The beer taste is there but make no mistake, the Clamato Juice and hot sauce dominate this drink.

The mouthfeek is thin, spicy hot, and very carbonated, which really helps accent the spiciness. It also has a hot, spicy aftertaste.

I couldn't finish more than a couple sips of this stuff. It was drainpour to me, but then if you are a fan of Bloody Marys then go ahead and give it a try. To me it was a waste of beer.

12-29-2009 01:24:03 | More by matjack85
aerozeppl

1.85/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Light pink color with watered down looking tomato soup. No head at all with a few tomato particles floating at the bottom of the glass.

S: Salty tomato soup. Really just foul smelling. Nothing appealing about it at all.

T: Salty watered down tomato soup with seltzer. That is this beer in a sentence.

M: Very light. Nothing to it really.

D: A did about 4 ozs and that is too much. Finally tried this and it is awful for sure. A must try though.

12-20-2009 22:07:59 | More by aerozeppl
branko7

3.33/5  rDev +90.3%

First of all, if you don't like Clamato (tomato juice, salt, clam juice, and other flavorings), you won't like this (dare I say) unholy mixture. But if you do (and I do), you may like this.

The color is not very appetizing (drink it straight from the can and you won't notice). The smell, to me, is the worst part: smells a bit like something spoiled. But the taste, I actually like. It's like carbonated, watered down Clamato, with some hot sauce and a bit of alcohol (I wouldn't say beer---just the sense of alcohol. Not too strong, but it's there.) It helps if you're hungry---it has a savory taste.

I admit it's a bit tough to finish a 24-oz can, and don't let it get too warm on you, but this is definitely something I like once in a while. I certainly find it more interesting than Bud Light on its own.

11-24-2009 04:23:12 | More by branko7
slaintemhor

Oregon

I admit, I tried this on a dare. Didn't know what it was, but the brown bag should've given it away! The colour was a rather funky orange. The aroma was....well... clams and tomatoes. On the palate... my thoughts were, "What have I done?!! Is this a penance for past sins?!!" The taste seemed like my flatulence might taste after really bad Manhattan-style clam chowder. Oof!

11-17-2009 05:13:07 | More by slaintemhor
alkemy

3.33/5  rDev +90.3%

Has the requisite "bloody beer" look. I've been drinking a variant of this for years with Rolling Rock. I'm not quite seeing everyone's need to pan the stuff...you know what you're getting. I mean it's adjunct lager beer and Clamato. I like it. Refreshing during and after outdoor summer activity. Pour in the Tabasco for a pick-me-up on those mornings you may have been over served the night before. Granted, I like my personal mixture (Rolling Rock/Clamato Bloody Mary mix) better, but this is serviceable.

09-22-2009 15:27:54 | More by alkemy
snaotheus

Washington

1.48/5  rDev -15.4%

24oz can poured into a giant snifter

It looks disgusting. It's pink and fizzy. Smells like tomatoes and grapefruit with a little clam.

Taste is sweet and heavily salted.

Mouthfeel isn't horrible, but it's not good -- if it's possible to feel salt in a solution, that's what it feels like.

Not drinkable. I could barely finish half the can. Thankfully someone else was drinking the other half. He was the one who brought it. He deserved it.

09-08-2009 14:53:31 | More by snaotheus
PEBKAC

2.58/5  rDev +47.4%

Is your life just that gentrified that this would be considered a reach for you? Thoroughly reading up on the latest reviews to make sure you're well prepared, the "beer" has already lost half its charm.

"Graciously" shared during prime time Saturday night at BCTC09. Pours nice & maroon-ish pink into my baby Duvel glass. A little spotty with sediment; no head.

Smell is just some casual salt, celery, canned tomato paste, & just a tad fishy. Fine enough. You know what you're getting into.

Taste was actually quite short on tomato. Acidic onion & celery, paired less then pleasantly with stale Old Bay seasoning & fish sauce. Barely bitter, the faint grain that you can actually detect from the beer is probably it's worst aspect. An off gazpacho of sorts. Really not all that bad though.

Feel is really slick & greasy, though there is some carbonation. Almost like getting served slimy, obviously old seafood.

It wasn't the worst thing ever. People exaggerate too much.

08-11-2009 04:52:28 | More by PEBKAC
woodychandler

1.25/5  rDev -28.6%

Wow, was this bad! I thought that my C/S host might bring something new to my perception of this, but no. Ugh, was this brutal! The nose had a scent of of something dead under the pier. The color was an ugly reddish-pink like grapefruit juice. Mouthfeel was medium with a fishy, peppery taste. Oh my. Finish had a definite black pepper taste, underlain by by some nasty fishiness. Who thinks this is good?

08-02-2009 10:37:28 | More by woodychandler
utah44

Louisiana

I drank this on a bet. I knew the regular strength version was awful, but didn't think that the light version could be any worse. I could not have been more wrong. An awful brew cannot be improved by watering it down. Consequently, the aroma, taste, mouthfeel and drinkability are as bad as they can be. Worse than even the worse plain old light beer.

07-10-2009 00:25:36 | More by utah44
PheerNoBeer

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev +157.1%

This isn't beer, it's just a strange mildly alcoholic beverage. Like a fizzy Bloody Mary. I enjoy it, but easily see why others find it disgusting. If you're looking for a beer taste it isn't in there. It's sweet, salty, and spicy. I saw this stuff in a lot of c-stores for a long time and always thought it would be disgusting, but now I'm hooked.

I was watching a 10+ year old Seinfeld episode a few weeks ago where Kramer got into cock-fighting with his rooster named Little Jerry. In the final few scenes at the Mexican cock-fight there's a BudLight Chelada banner hanging in the background. The banner probably pre-dated the release of Chelada in the states, but Mexicans have drank this stuff for a long time.

06-24-2009 00:19:44 | More by PheerNoBeer
2KHokie

If you are looking for a beer, don't drink this. Sure, you may be attracted to the odd combination of clam juice, tomato, and beer, wait, that doesn't sound good at all. The sole use for this beverage is to give to your friends when they first wake up from a hangover. Watch as they take one sip and then erupt like a volcano!

05-09-2009 12:18:01 | More by 2KHokie
Brad007

Vermont

1.15/5  rDev -34.3%

Per someone's suggestion, I've decided to review this, though there was no way I was going to let it be #1000. First, I must give a bit of background information on why I want to try this. Ever since I was a kid, I've hated tomato juice. Just the very smell of it made me sick. My parents would groan in disappointment whenever I refused a glass of it for each holiday dinner. I also remember my neighbors and how they liked to drink their Carling Black Label. They'd toss salt in it to kill the head. Mix in Bud Light, tomato juice and salt and you have one unholy combination.

This elixir pours a light reddish-blond color with absolutely no head into my glass. Just by looking at it, I can tell that I'm not going to enjoy this.

The aroma is full of tomato sauce and salt with only a hint of actual beer underneath. Actually, it barely passes for beer but I'll go into that with another review. Already, I'm dreading the taste.

The taste is full of salt upfront and tomato kicks in afterward. Strong tomato taste here that along with the salt, bludgeons any of the "beer flavor" that might exist. It's like pouring a cheap lager into a glass of V8 and rimming it with salt.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering tomato and salt, which seem to bludgeon my taste buds mercilessly. Thankfully, it's not as thick as the Bud Chelada so the mouthfeel is a bit more tolerable.

In conclusion, this cannot be called beer, unless you wish to be mocked by those that enjoy actual beer. I seriously wonder what the marketing people at A-B were thinking when they dreamed this up. I would like to have some of what they were smoking at the time. After all, you'd have to really hate beer to want to dump salt and tomato juice in it.

In other words, I try beer like this so you don't have to.

05-08-2009 17:07:11 | More by Brad007
MikeInIowa

4.08/5  rDev +133.1%

"And now, something completely different..."
--announcer introduction to
Monty Python's Flying Circus, circa 1969

OK. I get it. Most reviews are not fans of this brew, but it is a nice diversion. Just don't indulge too much if you have problems with fluid retention in your body because there is a high level of sodium in this beer's Clamato juice.

But then, it is not for every day imbibing. It is for special occasions, and it goes so completely well with Tex-Mex dishes.

A: It is red and opaque and has an average head and lacing. It's red because it is a combination of Bud Light (or Budweiser) and Clamato juice, which are popular combinations of beverages in various regions around North America. The good people of Winnipeg were the first to introduce the Bud Light / Clamato combo to me when I visited Canada in 2004.

S: Fruity

T: Refreshingly different. It has a bite to it. Zesty and zippy like a Bloody Mary without the steak sauce that cannot spell. Wirschester? (You get the idea.)

M: Feels juicy in the mouth and it effervesces as it passes the rear of the palate.

D: Above average.

04-16-2009 18:38:33 | More by MikeInIowa
Blakaeris

1.8/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours cloudy orange-pink in color, with no head.

Aroma is tomato, celery salt, and an odd musty quality.

Taste is tomato, celery, a touch of hot sauce and soda water. Finish holds the strange musty quality from the nose.

Mouthfeel is thin and spritzy.

Not worth trying again.

03-31-2009 00:39:00 | More by Blakaeris
bashiba

2.2/5  rDev +25.7%

Poured a funky orange with the consistency of Hawaiian Punch. A light pink head that was quickly gone.

Has a funky bloody mary like smell with a bit of citrusy lime.

The flavor is a strange mix of slightly sweet tomato juice and a salty lime with a just a hint of bad beer flavor in the finish.

The mouthfeel is very thin, especially for something with tomato juice.

Overall I found it disappointing, especially from someone who really likes tomato juice and beer, and I used to enjoy mixing the two when I was younger.

03-31-2009 00:38:27 | More by bashiba
roddwolff

Mexico

I always have been a fan of clamato, so i really enjoyed this beer. Its made with clamato genuine. There is a very light essence of clam in the smell; the appearance is strange with a deep orange color; the taste is a mixture among tomato, clam and a light beer; the mouthfeel is a little spicy; in the drinkability, its very good to slander, or to drink 1 o 2, not more.

03-12-2009 17:50:43 | More by roddwolff
sanfordja

It's too bad there's no category for sound, because this beer when poured emits oratory befoulment that few other drinks could, or would want to, mimic. Blind people would know to stay away from this atrocious alchemy of beer and tomato sin. This "beverage" is a test of whether or not a person can prove the survival of the fittest theory. If it tastes detrimental to your health, then you oughtn't drink it and that's what a Chelada is, a disgusting prank. After consuming the tiniest sip, a drinker will cough and gag with a vehement force reserved only for tasting the strongest of moonshines. This drink is an embarrassment to beer manufacturers everywhere.

03-01-2009 20:51:18 | More by sanfordja
PatronWizard

2.42/5  rDev +38.3%

Yup. Why not?

It's ... red. With bubbles. As if it's ovulating. And it probably is. Head disappears as I pour leaving a sheet of uh, something along the glass.

This might seem strange, but it smells like bud light with clamato. I happen to like clamato, so it doesn't smell disgusting.

Taste isn't as bad as I feared. Bud Light has no taste and clamato has a good taste so they converge to taste like clamato. I could really do without the spices, this isn't a friggin bloody mary, they add a certain unwelcome burn to the mix.

Feels fairly flat, yet thick. The spices mess this up too. Especially the damn lime; get that shit outta here.

I bought this just because I hadn't reviewed it and expected something completely Godawful. While I wouldn't call this good, it's not as unholy a creation as I thought, and it certainly tastes better than Bud Light.

Overall: almost worth a try

02-27-2009 23:14:05 | More by PatronWizard
hopdog

1.08/5  rDev -38.3%

24oz can. I would have liked to be a fly on the wall when this one was conceived. I picture, just like the peanut butter cup ad, someone walking around the corner with a bud light and someone with a can of clamato juice. They bump into each other. Hey, you got bud light in myclamato juice. Hey, you got clamato juice in my bud light. They both take a taste and the Chelada was born. This one was absolute crap.

Notes from: 2/8/08

01-07-2009 22:52:04 | More by hopdog
prototypic

Alright, review #500. I wanted to pick a special beer for this one. But, I couldn't resist Chelada. I suppose it is indeed special. But, not in a good way.

I'd like to thank csmiley for the can. This one has about 6 months of age on it, so it is a vintage 2008 can.

Appearance: In color, it's reminiscent of grapefruit juice. It's very pink with a slight orange hue to it. There's a lot of haze in there. A forceful pour only yielded a foamy white head that was about a finger deep. It dissipated quickly and left no lacing to speak of.

Smell: The nose isn't exactly a modicum of strength or depth. There is a distinct tomato smell to it. It's definitely salty smelling. There's also some light pepper and perhaps other spices. There's also an interesting soup-like aroma to it. Honestly, it's very weird and unimpressive. It's biggest fault is that it doesn't smell anything like beer. Not even bad beer.

Taste: I can honestly say that this is worse than I was expecting and I was expecting bad. Really bad. It's very heavy on tomato. That, in and of itself, is a horrible thing for a beer. It's very salty and that flavor resonates well into the aftertaste. It's a little peppery and spicy. There is an interesting soup flavor. Reminds of a chicken noodle broth. I'm not picking up any clam, but trust me, it wouldn't add anything positive here. It finishes like it started...full on tomato and salt blast.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied and watery. Not smooth at all. Carbonation is very high and buzzy. Drinkability is awful. I made a promise to drink the entire can and I intend to. But, damn...it is going to be a mighty struggle.

Wow. Bud Light Chelada takes it to a whole new level. How and why is this called beer? There's a not a single quality that justifies it being labeled as such. Having said that, this is truly the worst beer that's ever touched these lips. I'm still wondering if there's a way I can rate it lower. It doesn't deserve a "1" in the least. There's not a single, positive redeeming quality that could be built upon or improved. Bottom line, it's a train wreck.

Thanks for the opportunity and the experience, Chris. I'd love to say this is forgettable, but this awful beer will haunt my tastebuds for years to come.

12-24-2008 02:52:58 | More by prototypic
cvstrickland

1.05/5  rDev -40%

A Farewell to A-B, Episode 4: The Final Straw

I brought this home and grabbed my Duvel glass, but read "Bud Light beer with natural flavors and certified colors", and had to jam that bastard can into the freezer for a minute while I calmed down and stopped my hands from shaking. Never have I been so afraid of a beer since that asshole roommate of mine at Carolina sprung Ed's Cave Creek on me. Steve Wyman... that sick sumbitch...

With a great "WHOOSH!" of Arctic air I imagine to be sprinkled with the yelps of happy sled-dogs, the Frigidaire unceremoniously disgorges the vessel, bluntly refusing lodging to this brew of mutant-kind. I take the rejected single in hand... examining it carefully for dents, details of its construction, and just in case, for Poison Control Center info....

What's the can say, again? Hmmm. The ad-hoc ingredients list isn't so much a tease as it is a threat; "Bud Light"? Ok, so that sucks, but "natural flavors"?? I suppose that catchall category of culinary art could include those succulent notes of salt, lemon and tasty tomato, but could also include "rust", "creme de camel assholes" or "vinegar-poached louse". I really want to know just what in the f*ck a "Certified Color" is, too. My heart flutters timidly. "Certified"? Like you have to have a license to use it? Like you could die if you inhaled it? Like it will get your ass high, high if you chop out a rail and honk it up your snoot? Ok, I know... now I'm officially stalling. I'm putting this off because I have visions of Cherry Nyquil Bloody Mary shots laced with salty amaretto and rat poison... It really IS pretty here, today, and going to watch some football later. I can't decide if I hate the Cowpokes or the Giants worse...Romo... Eli... punk-ass los... Huh? Yeah, yeah. OK.

I select the Duvel glass for its innate ability to make shitty beer look championship-caliber, as I figure this evil beast will need all the help she can get. "Crack" goes the top, "Hiss" hisses the Beast...

...And out she slinks, a sickly fruit-drink vomitous hazy orangey-pink with a flash of soda pop bubbles. No head forms, save a thin pearly bead abandoned at the periphery of the drink. That sparkling bracelet is fed by trickle of bubbles struggling to the surface on the way to self-immolate, so eager, so driven they are to escape whatever unspeakable horror it was that kidnapped and enslaved them, once upon a time, long ago, in some faraway Frankenstein brewery deep in the darkest circles of Hell. The Cheladabeast is easily the least appetizing "beer" I have ever gazed upon in a glass, but, in all fairness, it looks a helluva lot like pink grapefruit juice. If only it were so.

The smell is a sour whang of sour tomato and sour metal, the sour gears sourly clashing, sourish citrus lingers in the sour-ass aftersniff.

Once again I feel compelled to talk about football, and weather, too. The Jets-Bills game is on, and wow, is it sunny here! I bet my buddies up in New Yawk are deeply divided on this game... I like Buffalo, but how can I pull against Favre? What? I was reviewing this beer, oh yeah... what the Hell. I'm getting to it.

A big sip realizes the sum of all my fears all at once, bringing more salty tomatoey fishiness than I imagined possible in any beer product. Holy FUCK! Panic! This shit is AWFUL!

Worse, still, is that the advertising is true! The malt bill is metallic and no doubt that of Bud Light, as is the associated anti-hoppiness, but the real blasphemy is the bitter lemon and salted fish struggling from under sour, astringent tomato concentrate. OMFG! Is that garlic? Am I imagining how fucking horrid this is?!?! Another sip... GAH! It's real!

As the drink warms and I become accustomed to the tangy fishyness of it, it begins to grow on me a bit. Ok, so that's total bullshit. It's still so fucking awful, worse as the drink goes on, but it's become a matter of pride and perseverance now. This is my last A-B beer, after all. So I say, for now, anyway. For all the Michelobs I swilled on the golf course; for all the Natural Lights I begged off the older kids in High School; for all the nights at Bub O'Malley's in Chapel Hill I spent arm-wrestling with $2 "Bub's Cups" of my old nemesis The King... and for that old Native American dude from the Outlaw Josey Wales, I will "...endeavor to persevere."

Awful. Drinkability relative to gravel partially dissolved in battery acid. A good brew to remember what went wrong at A-B to begin with, before the InBev bloodletting, and a perfect one to part company on. I'll still always have a soft spot in my heart for Budweiser, but the company I knew and respected is gone forever. It makes me sad to see an American icon fade into history, especially when so many people lose jobs. The King is Dead. Long live the King.

12-14-2008 18:38:33 | More by cvstrickland
Vancer

1.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Big ol' 2X4 can. Pop and pour - but this is a chug beer.

Welp, the ol' pour does not bode well - fizzy copper red with no head at all. It's just sitting there looking at me - wanting me to chug 'er down. Aroma is wet tomato juice - well, duh.

Good freakin' grief - this isn't beer, it's weak tomato juice with a ton of salt. Enough salt to melt the ice on my driveway - which is 200 feet long. I can fell the blood pressure ratcheting up as I go thru this glass.

Guess this might be good with a massive Sunday hangover while tailgating. IF, you add a nice shot of good vodka.

11-20-2008 01:30:50 | More by Vancer
MSchae1017

Georgia

1.15/5  rDev -34.3%

This beer was tasted in a mug from the 16oz can left at my house by my uncle.

The beer pours hazy watermelon juice pink wiht a small fizzy head that dissipates immediately.

The aroma is actually fairly similar to regular bud light. The Clamato smell is not too strong but does linger in the background. Overall, the aroma is weak and the clam/tomato does not add anything.

Clam & Tomato up front with a hint of bud light. This is absolutely awful to me. Probably one of the worst things I have ever put in my mouth.

The mouthfeel is kind of like carbonated tomato juice. Certainly some body there, but still not appealing.

Overall, I just hate this beer. I do not know what else to say.

11-15-2008 00:39:00 | More by MSchae1017
tbeck

Washington

2.1/5  rDev +20%

I picked this up from a local grocery store.

Pours a grapefruit-like color with a thin white head that dissapeared quickly, leaving no collar. A faint aroma of malts, but pretty much tomato. Taste was that of red beer, not beer. It did have some spiciness to it. Watery texture, the tomato sauce gave it a little chewyness. If I am looking for a "beer" this is not it, but for someone that enjoys red beers this is a good choice. This does feel the niche if you did not want the hassle of making one yourself. Overall a good red beer.

09-27-2008 23:25:09 | More by tbeck
Daytripper42

Mississippi

Is there not a negative rating on this site? This would be the first beer that I've had that would deserve it.

Everything about this beer is just plain awful.

It poured a raw pink color. It smelled like sour gym socks, and I can only imagine that eating those same socks would taste about the same as this beer did.

Drinkability is less than zero, because I could hardly swallow it. I can only hope that this "beer" gets taken off the market soon.

I'm not all about dogging beers out. Opinions are opinions, and what one person loves, another person may hate. But man, this stuff is unbearable. I can't imagine anyone enjoying this.

09-12-2008 04:59:14 | More by Daytripper42